Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #1  
KAR

Default Any TOPS members out there?

Hi All,
Just thought I would start the TOPS thread over again. Looking for some support from fellow TOPS members. Gained some weight last year and want to take it and more off in the coming year. I know that I can do it with my TOPS pals at my chapter and my on-line TOPS pals. Would love to get to know any fellow TOPS members out there? Please feel free to join me here.
I have new motivation to get to my goal weight this coming year or at least a little closer to it. My parents will be married 50 years come June 6,2009. We are having a family picture done and then a party for them. So I would like to not be the fat one in the family picture. If that makes sense. Looking forward to this new journey in my life with some on-line TOPS pals.
Have a great day!
Thanks,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Fellow TOPS member here. Hubby and I joined in late August. We both ended up accepting nominations for office, and both won. I for co-leader, he for treasurer.

I love TOPS. It has all of the advantages of the expensive plans, and so many more advantages that the other plans just don't have. Flexibility, incentives, awards and other recognitions, more individual support.... just can't say enough good things about TOPS.

I get a little irked, when friends on WW tell me how much "better" WW is because "you get what you pay for," and won't even listen to what TOPS offers. Their loss, because as any bargain shopper knows, expensive isn't a guarantee of quality, and inexpensive isn't a guarantee against quality either. I think TOPS is one of the best bargains there is. Don't get me wrong, I think WW is a fine program, but even if the cost were the same, I think TOPS still has WW beat for social support, incentives, and recognition. TOPS gave out charm bracelet charms for weight loss decades before WW decided to hand out the 25lb magnet and the 10% keychain.

For each 10 lb loss, our chapter offers the choice between free monthly dues ($3 value) and a charm. I always pick the charm. When I was a member in the 90's, I wore that charm bracelet everywhere (I lost 60 lbs total, before I got a job in another city about 75 minutes away, and didn't like the new areas TOPS. Lame excuse, in hindsight). We had one lady in the group who had lost 200 and some odd pounds. She sewed her charms onto a girl scout's style sash, and wore that sash to every meeting. She could tell you each charm's story (which pounds lost or which special TOPS event each of those charms represented).

On June 30th, I'm leading the group program, and I'm going to do it on geocaching (that is if hubby finds our gps, otherwise I'll reschedule for when he does find it, or when we get it replaced. I thought I'd start looking in the second hand stores and on ebay). Did anyone see the article in the TOPS newsletter on geocaching from the lady in Alberta, Canada? It's so much fun. I wish the gps weren't so expensive. I think it would be neat for the club to buy one and lend it out to members, but we've got a pretty small club, so that probably might be practical. If I can get one on ebay cheaply enough, I might just donate one to our club (especialy if as I suspect the moment we buy a gps for ourselves, my husband will find the one he misplaced).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #3  
KAR

Hi Kaplods,
You are so right about TOPS. I have been a member since 4-1-2003. I had gotten down to 195 pounds, then with stress and having fincianal problems I went right back to eating poorly. So I gained what I lost and then some back. But now I am back on the losing streak. I really think it also has a lot to do with the members of my group are more motivated to lose their weight this time around. I just wish I could get more of my friends that say they need to lose weight come join us.
I love the idea of geocaching. I would love to get started with my dh and three stepkids. But you are right, the units are so expensive. Maybe if I sold more Avon and stopped buying stuff for myself from Avon, then I could save my profits and use that money. Or win the lottery. Your program sounds like it would be a lot of fun.
I guess one of these meetings, I have to give a program on the excerise bands. I use mine when I do the Lesile Sansone walking workouts.
We have a small chapter too. We have about 15-20 members. But only about 10-12 of us show up for the meetings on a regular basis. Maybe sometime we could do a challenge with each other's club. I think that would be neat.
Well I need to go put my dining room back together. I cleaned the kitchen and dining room's today really good and mopped the floors. Time to put them back to a semi order of normalize. Then I have to get ready to go to my TOPS meeting. I am hoping that I have a loss. But I am getting ready to start my TOM. So I hope that doesn't get in my way of a good number on the scales.
Well you have a nice evening! Look forward to getting to know you better. Glad that your dh and you are both members of TOPS. I wish mine would join. He has a little beer gut and thinks he doesn't have a problem. I think in couple of years, I will be able to get my stepdaughter to join with me. She is 12 and already close to 200 pounds. Her mom is very heavy too. So I just hope that I can spread my success their way for both their sakes.
Well I better go. I will chat with you later.
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #4  
KAR

I lost 1/4 of a pound at my meeting tonight. I was happy with the results. At least I didn't gain anything. I did get my chapter to agree to doing a new contest for the summer. It is called Touring the counties of Ohio. Each person will be given a map of the counties of Ohio and they get to color one of the 88 counties if they have a loss, stay the same, drink water, excerise, contact a TOPS member, or keep a food chart for the week. The first two people to get all their maps colored in will be the winners of a little goody bag. So I am looking forward to this contest.
So when does your TOPS group meet?
Well I need to close for now. I have some paper work that I have to take care of. I will check in with you tomorrow. Have a great evening!
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #5  
KAR

Hi,
It is a new week and I hope that you have a great weigh in! I am looking forward to seeing if I did okay going home over Father's Day to visit my family. I did excerise both days that I was home for 30 minutes each. Plus I tried to watch my portions and eat healthy. So I am hoping that it pays off on the scales tomorrow evening for me. Hope to chat with you soon. Have a great week!
Kerry
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #6  

I turtled today. I was lazy and didn't journal. REALLY need to be getting back to that. Hubby (the King of horrid eating habits) confronted me today about my eating habits. He was compassionate and to his credit started off with acknowledging that he knows he has alot of work to do in that area himself, but he'd noticed and become concerned that I go on unhealthy "jags," and he's right. Rather than eat a balanced diet on a regular basis, I tend to spend a day or several in one food group and then move onto another food group. I overdo the veggies and then have an IBS attack and then eat mostly protein, and then I go through fruit stage, a grain stage, and even a fat or sugar day.

So, this week I am committing to journaling. I use a 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 day-planner and I've printed journal pages (printed landscape, so I get 4 pages per sheet of printer paper) that have space to log the food, and boxes to check off the exchanges. Every day. All day, every bite.

For exercise, tomorrow or thursday we'll go to the warm water therapy pool.
And we're going to the Humane Society to fill out volunteer applications. Before I met my husband, I volunteered at an animal shelpter to walk dogs. I was still recovering from a herniated disk so I couldn't walk any dog that pulled, but it was good exercise and a good critter "fix" as I was living in a no-pet apartment at the time. I'm going to sign up to walk dogs and if I can get in better shape, I might volunteer to wash and groom pooches too.

And - I'm going to HELP hubby find our GPS. I really want to get back to geocaching as adds such a fun element to walking.

Something neat - Our group has a sign-up sheet so anyone can run a program if they're interested. The leader and I alternate weeks if no one else is interested. Our secretary ran a great program tonight. After weigh-in we broke into pairs, and she assigned us each a section of the grocery store (hubby and I got the meat department). We had a list of things to look for on nutrition labels per serving highest and lowest protein, fat, fiber, calories. Then we met up at a local grocery store (the store manager knew we were coming and was happy to have us). We then met together to deal with the snack aisle. Then we met in the grocery store's cafe area to report our findings and discuss.

It was a BLAST! Only a couple people decided not to participate, but everyone who did really enjoyed it. It was educational and entertaining.

Hubby and I went to dinner afterward. We chose my favorite, a thai restaurant and we both ordered the Pho ( pronounced fuh, a broth and noodle soup). It's a huge bowl of soup (about a quart). I only ate about one cup and took the rest home). No eggrolls! No appetizers of any kind!

Hubby teased me for only ever wanting to go to the thai restaurant, but as I told him, it's the only restaurant in town with many light options. The beef salad (laab) the green papaya salad (like a garlicky coleslaw) the vermicelli salad (light if you order it without the eggroll and don't eat all of the noodles) the Pho (as long as you don't down the whole bowl - or order the 3 quart king size bowl - I've only ever seen slim, young asian men ever order it). The spicy tilapia (if you don't order the sticky rice to dip in the sauce, the steamed tilapia. They've added a catfish curry that might be healthy. I have to add the owner how it's made. If there's coconut milk in it, it's probably not a good choice.

It's become our Monday night, post TOPS tradition. I generally choose a light option, but no matter how light, I can't go there less than three days from a weigh-in from the water-retention. Fish sauce and other asian condiments are low in calorie, but very high in sodium. I've already started drinking the extra water to compensate for the extra sodium.

Anyway, that's all the news from me.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #7  
KAR

Hi Kaplods, congrats on your turtle. Atleast you didn't gain anything with your bad eating habits. It is nice that you and your dh are doing this together. Mine is 50/50 right now. But I guess that is better than nothing. I use to get negative support from him. Now it is a little bit better. I lost 1 1/2 pounds last week. So I am pleased with my progress. Since I went home to visit my dad and family over the weekend. We had a graduation party to go to and I didn't get tempeted and over eat. I am proud that in the last three weeks, I have lost 5 1/4 pounds so far. I just hope that I can keep up this good roll that I am on. My goal is not to have a gain during the whole summer.
Your dinner last night sounds good. Atleast you know what the sodium does to your body and you make arrangements for it. Hope you have a great week! Your program sounds like it was a lot of fun. I wish my group would do more interesting programs like that one.
Well I need to go and fill in my Ohio counties map for our contest that is going on. I would really like to finally win one. I haven't ever won one of the contests that we have had.
I will check back in with you tomorrow. Have a great evening!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #8  

Today was great, not even up a pound from the soup. Only about two tenths. That'll be gone by tomorrow. I'm not sure I'll push it by eating the leftovers this week. It should freeze fine in the plastic container.

We did sign up at the humane society to volunteer. Hubby wasn't going to sign up, as he's afraid a dog might pull on the leash and he'd fall (he walks with a cane and has degenerative spine and joint issues). He decided to volunteer to brush and play with the kitties while I walk the dogs (there's a park right outside the shelter) though he might be able to come walk with me sometime, as long as he doesn't hold the leash.

We're going tomorrow for our first day. Journaled all day. I did well (but have to add my snack, can't forget that. I have a bad habit of forgetting to finish journaling after dinner).

I'm really excited about the dog walking. I may have to ask to walk one of the very tiny dogs, as I'm not sure that I have enough stamina to give a larger dog, even if he's a gentle walker enough exercise. Then again, I'm probably worrying over nothing. When I volunteered in IL, the first dog I was give to walk was Chip, a HUGE labrador/dalmation cross. He had the full-bodied shape of a lab and the markings of a dalmation (he even had a "spot" on the iris of his eye). He was a great dog. I was so afraid to start with such a large dog, but I was assured he was a gentle walker, and he really was. He pulled a bit, but very gently. It was almost like he knew I wasn't very stable on my feet, but wanted me to go as fast as I could. It was great physical therapy.

I told hubby I'm really comitted to us getting back into LIFE. This winter we both felt so yucky, we barely did anything, and if we don't become more active, it's going to get harder and harder to do anything. Hubby's especially at risk for losing functioning, because his joint condition is degenerative. Exercise isn't able to reverse any of the damage, but it can slow down the decline. I don't want to push him into anything he can't do, but noodging him into doing as much as he can is good for both of us.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-18-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #9  
KAR

Hi Kaplods,
Sounds like you are having a great week. Keep up the good work! I am sure that the humane society will give you a dog or dogs that you are able to walk without any strain on your body. I am sure that they are just glad to have people like you volunteering.
I know the feeling about being committed to making a postive change in your lifestyle for the better. I know that I am sick of feeling tired and run down all the time. My friends have noticed that my mood and personality have changed since I started to really watch my food intake and excerise more. I started this on May 30th. So I am hoping that by my birthday next May 15th, I am at or close to my goal weight.
Well I need to go and do the dishes. Then my stepdaughter who is 12 and I are going to go for a walk at the local lake. Have a fun day volunteering at the humane society!
Check back in with you later.
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #10  

Went to the humane society. I walked a fat rottie mix named Gracie. Two fat girls on a walk. Wow, did I get a workout. A short workout, but an intense one. Gracie is fat, but STRONG and even though I kept her leash short to try to encourage her to heel, she pulled me toward the nearby park.

It took all my strength to make her go at my pace (good resistance training - I had to switch arms several times to keep things "even"). But she definitely had her own "agenda" - as soon as she pooped, she was ready to head back. I tried to encourage her to keep going, but when I wouldn't turn around, she laid down and wouldn't budge (and while I outweighed her, she outmuscled me). So, I gave in and we headed back. I then gave her a good brushing (which was almost as much exercise as the walk).

I then went to check on hubby, and sat with him while he groomed cats. One of the cats he "made pretty" is going to be on the local news today to find a home. Apparently, I looked pretty horrible, as hubby was concerned that my face and chest were bright red and pouring sweat, but I felt great (I just get bright red when I exert myself, especially in the heat - I always have even as a kid). I'm going to be so sore tomorrow though I bet.

Anyway, this is Gracie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gracie.jpg (20.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by kaplods; 06-18-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #11  
KAR

Evening Kaplods,
Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Gracie is a cutie pie! Glad you felt great after your walk with Gracie. I know what you mean about getting red faced and stuff. The same thing happens to me when it is hot outside. Sounds like you have a win/win situation were the humane soceity is concerned.
My stepdaughter and I went to the local lake for a walk this morning. We got there at 11 and walked around the lake. Then decided to take the bike path that connects to the lake. Well we ended up taking it into town and back. When it was all said and done we walked a little over 5 miles. It took us 2 hours and 10 minutes to do. But boy did I feel great afterwards. So I think that would be great to do once a week.
Well I am tired and need to do a little more computer work before going to bed. I will check back in with you tomorrow. Have a great evening!
TOPS hugs,
Kerry
Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #12  

I am so sore today! Yikes, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, LOL. I knew I'd be achey, but aghh. Definitely might want to work with an easier to walk pooch next time. I think maybe tomorrow or friday. Today I want to go to the warm water pool.

Our area has a warm water therapy pool in the county aging & disability resources complex. It's heaven, and anyone with a doctor's referal can use it, and it's not very expensive, even though they recently doubled their prices. The pool is even wheelchair accessible and they have all sorts of flotation and water resistance equiptment (noodles and water bar bells), and even a couple sunk and bolted gymnastic bars. They also do arthritis and fibromyalgia exercise classes, though I've never gone.

Laps can be a bit of a challenge on busy days, but it's easy to get in a real workout anyway. If I lived closer, I would go every day. It's so nice to be able to get into the water with no temperature shock. I would live in the water if I could (I've said this so many times, I'm sure many people are tired of hearing it - I know my husband is).
Old 06-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #13  
KAR

So did you recover from your walking Gracie the other day? The therapy pool sounds like a nice pool to go to. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Mine weekend is going okay so far. Haven't really done much of anything. My bil and his two grandkids came over to visit for a little while today. Other than that it has been a lazy kind of day. I went to the city pool the last two mornings and helped my dh clean the pool. So I am hoping that tomorrow he will just go and do it by himself. Then I can get my workouts in in the mornings. Haven't done a good workout in two days, since I have had to help him.
Well I better go and get some housework done. Chat with you later. Have a nice weekend!
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry
Old 06-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #14  

We didn't make it to the pool. We've done a lot of walking though - local famers' markets, lots of shopping and we went to Rainbow Valley Music Fest, it's an anual free Christian music concert our church holds every summer. It's the second largest free Christian music concert in the state.

I thought the food stands were going to be tough, but I did well. My thighs and calves are still very sore from walking Gracie. Thursday was the worst.

Tomorrow morning we'll be doing the animal shelter again, ans Tuesday the pool. There are also a couple free hours for local pools, I have to check those out too. Though unless the water is pretty warm, that might not work out well. With the fibromyalgia, my joints just don't "do" cold water.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #15  
KAR

Sounds like you have been getting in a lot of good excerise though. Keep up the good work! Way to go with the food booths too! I thought it would be hard too. I know that it was after I first made the committment to change my lifestyle. But now I think of it as I don't want to put that bad food in my body. I think of it like putting bad gas in your car and then how you have to repair your car more often.
I had a nice day yesterday. I didn't do much. But I did straighten up the house while my dh and stepkids were gone. Then I read for a little bit. Today I went and helped my dh clean the local city pool. We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast. I usually get the bagel meal with a med. oj. But today I ordered a fruit parfit, apple dippers and a white milk. I was so proud of myself for not giving into tempatation. plus the bagel meal doesn't sound good anymore. I am off to do a 30 minute workout, get a shower and get dressed to go to my sil's for a cookout this afternoon.
Hope you have a nice day!
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry