Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #1  

Default We're BACK, now let's get on TRACK!

Hello everyone! NicoleNYC and I met in the "Introductions" section of the site this weekend and found that we had both previously been active members of 3FC but little by little slacked off until we no longer were involved at all.

My past success of losing 50+ lbs was hugely due to the accountability, inspiration and motivation I found when I was regularly posting here. I have since gained back most of that weight back and I'm sooo disgusted about that.

We decided that there are probably others out there just like us...those who have joined in the past and got out of the habit of coming here, but are now ready again to get BACK on TRACK with the help and support of others. Sooo...we decided to start our own thread.

Anyone is welcome to join us. Just jump in, introduce yourselves and let's do this! Cant wait to meet everyone!

Miki
MikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #2  

I would love to join you! I read your posts on the other thread and I relate so much to the things you said. I joined back in 2005 after quitting smoking and packing on weight. I was really doing great, but then I added getting a master's degree to my already busy life, and lost the time and energy to exercise and watch my eating. Now, I'm ready to get back on track.

I did good today...ate well and did a little workout after work. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Hi guys! Thansk for getting us started, Miki! This is so great!

Quote:
My past success of losing 50+ lbs was hugely due to the accountability, inspiration and motivation I found when I was regularly posting here.
That is so true. I feel like now that you guys know my plans, I have to make it happen or it's just all talk.

Quote:
I joined back in 2005 after quitting smoking and packing on weight.
Congratulations! I quit too and I'm so glad I did (not that I don't miss it SOMETIMES) but I bet I ate nine thousand bajillion french fries in the process!

Take care girls, and hang in with us!

Last edited by NicoleNYC; 01-07-2009 at 09:19 PM.
NicoleNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #4  

Hi again

Dinahgirl, I was so excited to come in and see that we already had someone else join us! Welcome!! What is your masters degree in? I work fulltime at a bank. I've been there most of the last 23 yrs. I left for one full year, went back 2 yrs just to help out a few days here and there and eventually ended up fulltime again.

Nicole, I need to take my measurements soon too. Sometimes even when the scale doesnt seem to move, there is a difference in measurements so it helps to not get discouraged about the scale. I weighed Monday and was 231. I am going to weigh every Monday I think.

Congrats to you both for quitting smoking. That's great.

A little about me....I am 45 yrs old, have two boys, 16 and 18, and will have been married 24 yrs in June. In 2005 I joined here and went from 242 to 185. I started again in 2006 which is when I did that tracker I think.

I have had a really hard time with my weight for the past year. Last June I had gotten down to 189 lbs but in 4 months gained 40!! I've been to two different doctors and they havent been able to find any reason. They've checked hormones, thyroid, etc etc but everything seems to check out. I'm really discouraged but am just going to try harder and see what happens. They even gave me prescription diet pills, which other people I've known used to drop tons of weight, and mine still barely budged. Plus even if it went down it always went right back up. I literally went up 11 lbs from Thursday to Monday once! I was prescribed a fluid pill which helped a little but only for a day or two. After that, I couldnt even tell I was taking it. I finally got to the point I could not afford to keep paying 85.00 or more for a visit just to hear, "everything seems to check out ok".

Soooo...I'm just going to cut back even more and exercise harder and see what happens. I have found out one thing....drinking water is the only thing I can drink if I dont want to gain more. Diet Coke, tea, anything else, I drink it and am literally up 5 lbs the next day. It's crazy but it's the truth. (and frustrating too because I dont even LIKE water!)

Anyway, didnt mean to write a book. Just so excited to be here! I better get off here now, though, and get some stuff done around this house.

Take care!
Miki
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #5  

Hello Ladies, thanks MikiG for posting about this thread. I am definately in and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you, being accountable to somebody other than the scale and having a place to just talk about our goals, struggles and the ups and downs of wieght loss.

I am back again.I resigned up in 2/07....but well never quite made it beyond that. I think that is probably a motto for many of us. Tommorow always seems like a better day. I am really tired of tommorows. So here I am. I want to lose wieght and feel well.I am 44 years old and have been over wieght off and on for years, I am a mom with two boys, working girl (not that kind ), married to DH for 19 years. Long term I want to lose 70 lbs . I have tried low carbing and it did work before so I am leaning that way, I also bought volumetrics and have been reading that.

Generally I will be doing my own version of low carbing, tweaking it as I go to make it work for me..if this is and it should be a life style choice I have to make this livable and not simply a "diet" I go on and fall off of ya know. I have been reading volumatrics which is basically making smart calorie choices-so I can eat more and feel full and not like i am depriving myself. So I plan on combining the two plans....we'll see next week if the scale budges!

Yesterday and today I have had a bit if a headache but I know it is because of the lower carbs and my body wants the sugar....there is a huge box of see's candy for sale at work and it was all I could do to keep from pouncing on it. I Really wanted too Anyhow... I'm Cindy and looking forward to having a group to support me and to offer support as well . Hi Everyone

Last edited by shesaflybaby; 04-22-2008 at 09:21 PM.
shesaflybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #6  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Hi Girls! Just wanted to say, if I don't get to update tonight, that I'm still here! I have a two year old with sleep issues so that's where pretty much my WHOLE evening goes right now. I'm so glad we're all here!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #7  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Good morning! I guess I should say a little about myself. First, I don't live in NYC anymore and haven't for a while. We've moved South, near where I grew up, and we just bought a house. I'm not so sure I LOVE where we are, but...we'll see, I guess.

I have one daughter and one little dog and this May my husband and I will have been married for 10 years. I started out big and just got bigger and he's gained right along with me. Like so many big people, I learned my poor habits from my mom who learned them from her mom. Like so many moms, I know I need to model better habits for my own kid.

Right now my plan is pretty simple - I'm counting calories and next week, I'll start to get more serious on the treadmill/swimming. I walk and/or swim pretty much everyday, but this week I'm giving myself a bit of a break because I am TIRED (lack of sleep). I've read that 1500 calories is the "magic number" for women and I know it's true for me. For whatever reason, it seems to be just enough to keep me from stalling and not so many that the weight loss is slow and discouraging. I try not to eat anything too carby (pasta is not my friend anyway, I just can't stop), too salty, or too fatty but if I want a latte I have one. Right now I have a pile of chocolate bars my MIL sent from Germany - they are in my husband's office and when I REALLY want one, I'll just work it in with my daily calorie allowance.

I feel like it's just time and I've had enough and I've wasted way too much of my time and emotional energy on being fat. I'm over it.

Take care,
N

Last edited by NicoleNYC; 01-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #8  

Nicole I don't think your goals are shallow at all. I want to shop in normal sizes too and like the way I look!

Well ladies today is different...it is actually day 3 of doing something and not I'll do it "tommorrow". So far so good. I have to admit I am craving chocolate and lots of it..so I will need to figure out how to make that happen w/o losing it. I can easily eat a few bars so I have to be careful-not sure I want to entertain that idea at all. I am thinking sugar free chocolate pudding maybe.

Have a good one-
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #9  

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a good day.

Glad you decided to join us Cindy! I think we're going to have a great group here. Way to go resisting the chocolate bars. Sugar Free Choc Pudding is a good choice for a snack. When I was doing good, I had that alot and sometimes added that whipped cream that comes in the can. It didnt have many calories at all...not sure about the carb part tho.

Nicole, we're neighbors! I live in Arkansas. As far as goals, mine are basically the same as yours so we can all be shallow together.

I think my plan will be to just cut calories. I cant commit to anything that is giong to limit WHAt I eat. I know some people have to completely cut out certain things or they cant stop, but I'm more the other way. As soon as I say I'm not going to have a certain thing, I want it BAD and I'll eventually break down and eat the whole thing. When I"ve lost before, I ate basically what I wanted, but I had to count the calories of each bite and decide whether or not it was worth it. Once the calories are gone, no more food for the day. I've got to get motivated to exercise SOON too....so far I havent been great in that area.

Dinah, hope we hear from you again soon too.

I have a bank seminar in Little Rock tomorrow ( about 3 hrs away) so I'm not sure I"ll have a chance to post. If not, I'll be back Friday for sure.

Bye for now,
Miki
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  

Hi everyone, so great to have this group! Tonight after work, I met a friend out at a lake and we walked for about a half-hour and then went to a little restaurant nearby and had salads. Then we just sat and talked. The air was fresh and clear, and it felt great to just relax for a while.

A little more about me...I'm 58, have two grown sons, work full-time, and as I mentioned before, working on my masters. Miki, it will be in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)...I should get it in summer 09.

My plan is to basically eat right. I know how to do that, I just have to stay on track. I've had a couple of not-good meals this week (today cafeteria spaghetti...ugh, but there was a small salad).

I think everybody here sounds so enthusiastic and supportive. We're going to have good days and not-so-good days, but we can still love ourselves and get right back on track!

dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #11  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Quote:
Nicole, we're neighbors! I live in Arkansas. As far as goals, mine are basically the same as yours so we can all be shallow together.

I think my plan will be to just cut calories. I cant commit to anything that is giong to limit WHAt I eat.
Neighbors, and on the same kind of track, apparently. I try to limit the really high carb stuff and the really fatty stuff, but portion control is also my friend. I had spaghetti on Sunday but I didn't go crazy - I did think about it, tho. I don't find that I'm really home enough to totally control and eliminate whole food groups. I don't want to be that person that everyone hates to eat with because of her dietary restrictions, tho I know things like that work well for other people.

Quote:
My plan is to basically eat right. I know how to do that, I just have to stay on track.
Do you keep a journal? It's something I'm always torn about. I know that something like 90% of successful dieters keep journals, but sometimes I feel like it makes me focus TOO much on food. Right now I'mkeeping one but I'm trying not to get too hung up.

Quote:
I have to admit I am craving chocolate and lots of it..so I will need to figure out how to make that happen w/o losing it.
Adiago teas (online) has a really gret chocolate flavored tea. Yes, tea. I thought it would be awful but it came in a variety pack so I gave it a try. REALLY good full chocolate smell and taste, but light enough so that you don't end up thinking some real chocolate would be pretty darn good too. They have sample tins (makes about ten BIG cups) for around $4.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #12  
Bad Mamma Jamma

I forgot to add that I think Fridays will be my "official" weigh in day. I weigh myself every day and use a program called Weight Commander. I find if I don't weight every day then I sort of start to drift off program or plan and it's easy to kid myself that I'm doing better than I really am. So tomorrow I'll know the results of this week. I need to change my ticker. It's old.

Last edited by NicoleNYC; 01-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #13  

I am so MAD!!! Okay it has been a while since I low carbed. Well today I went into subway and did not see their lo carb wraps on the menu, so I asked if they still had them-Guy behind the counter says yes, so I order a wrap bring it home and eat it. I go online to subway to check how many carbs and it is over 50 for a wrap!!! WHAT?! I google around and find out that subway discontinued their low carb wraps and now have flour wraps. Well to late for me I ate it-what an idiot at the counter, I am so mad, had he had said they were no longer low crab I wouldn't have ordered one. UGH!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNYC View Post
Adiago teas (online) has a really gret chocolate flavored tea. Yes, tea. I thought it would be awful but it came in a variety pack so I gave it a try. REALLY good full chocolate smell and taste, but light enough so that you don't end up thinking some real chocolate would be pretty darn good too. They have sample tins (makes about ten BIG cups) for around $4.
Chocolate tea? I have never heard of that. Interesting. I am willing to try anything once(well most anything) so I will need to investigate that! Thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #15  
Bad Mamma Jamma

The chocolate tea really is good. Hope you like it.

Quote:
over 50 for a wrap!!!
That is NUTS. WOW. I would be mad too. Every now and then I get a suspiciously good coffee and wonder...is there whole milk in here? But a shot of whole milk is not even close to the same kind of screw up as selling you a FLOUR wrap. Yikes.

Everyone have a great day. Any good weekend plans?

Last edited by NicoleNYC; 01-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.