Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #1  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Default Reluctant Exercisers Support Group

Hi everyone,
I've been debating on starting this group for several reasons. One I was really trying to think of an appropriate name. I don't hate exercise. I dread it. I know it is important and all of the wonderful benefits it provides, blah, blah, etc but motivating myself to do it is difficult. I wouldn't term myself a couch potato because once I get going I love it so finally I came up with "Reluctant Exercisers". Second I was trying to think of where to post. Not the fitness forum because they are exercising over there. Then I thought of the Chicks Up for a Challenge section but then thought I didn't think it really fit. So...decided to make it a support group because that is what I am looking for. Also I was thinking do I want to start another thread but then had to admit I spend a lot of time on 3FC because it is my 24/7 support group so I can keep up with it.

So here we go...anyone that is having difficulty motivating themselves to exercise please join me on this quest to really stop talking about it and doing it.

Last edited by Shay; 04-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

This is exactly how I feel. Once the exericising is over I am extremely proud of myself for doing it, but I have a hard time becoming motivated. I dread the thought of starting also.

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

HI! I'm here, too!

I don't know if I'm reluctant as much as I just don't have time, and when I do have time, there are a gazillion other things that need to be done so sometimes exercising just seems like trivial self-indulgence. I'm doing better while I'm at work (I do a lot of stair climbing and some occassional strength stuff at my desk). But overall, I'm not so good. I'd rather read a good book, and I haven't figured out how to do aerobic reading yet. I'm working on it, though.

Equipment bores me, I don't have time for classes, and most workout DVDs have me snoring quickly. I've found that more unusual workout DVDs keep my interest better - bellydance, bhangra/bollywood-style aerobics, and (hehehe) Carmen Electra's strippercise are all fun. For some reason, I feel like I'm learning something from those rather than just mindlessly jumping around my living room. Plus, there's an added skill benefit from some (not that I'm looking at becoming a stripper, but I'm sure there's some weird situation where strippercising could come in handy. Again, I'm working on it! )
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #4  
My Evolution

Let me tell you about my exercise life. I am a Therapeutic Recreation Programmer. So generally I manage recreation programs for individuals with disabilities. I do directly implement programs occasionally. Right now I am leading a Water Exercise program for individuals with MS and other physical disabilities. We use noodles, resistance bands, and weights in the water. I co-lead a program with individuals with TBI. Part of that program includes seated exercise with homemade weights (water bottles filled with water). So until the middle of May I have 3 built in exercise days. I want to add two days of cardio. I think I will go on a Jillian exclusive routine for the first couple of weeks and then revisit. I will attempt to do Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing in about 15 minutes. I aim high don't I? I will check back in after doing that.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  
My Evolution

Slim n up & Havoc!

Slim n up--Look I'm procrastinating now. I need to be gettting my workout gear on and I'm sitting here on the computer !

Havoc--I get bored easily too. That's why I have a treadmill, elliptical, and urban rebounder. Countless accessories, a gym membership, and over 50 fitness dvds/vhs. Yet, rarely use them. I also can find a million things to do. I have a lot of movies to watch, tv shows to watch, books to read, people to talk to on the phone, school work to do, errands to run,and sometimes I am plain tired. It seems like you've figured out a way to keep your interest with dvds that aren't just straight exercise but have a fun element too.

Gotta go exercise before I find an excuse not to. I will check back in and let you know if I survived.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #6  
My Evolution

Okay I'm back and I survived but.....OMFG! Five minutes in I was hoping it would only be 30 minutes. I waited 1 hour after eating to exercise. Mistake-- next time which I hope to be Saturday I will wait at least 2 hours after eating. I wish I had a HRM because I know it was up there. The jumping jacks were the hardest because I tend to half do them but decided to full out do them. As she got to the 3rd or so set of 30 jumping jacks it got a little easier.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #7  
My Evolution

I am hurting today. I still plan to do Cardio Kickboxing with Jillian tomorrow. We'll see if my body agrees.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Can join? Please? I have the hardest time with exercise. Like you, I know that it is good for me, but there are so many other things that I could be doing, that it almost seems like a waste of time. I wear a pedometer all the time, and I get at least 12000 steps a day, but I really need to come up with a better plan. I'm going to start running in the next couple of weeks (waiting on my gear), and I need to start some kind of regime for my *ahem* muffin top. I haven't done any exercise yet today, but when I get home from work I'm going to try to ride my bike for at least a mile or two.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #9  
My Evolution

Hi MonteCristo--Of course all are

I'm already making up excuses for tomorrow but I will exercise.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #10  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

alright i know i need the help in this area. so knowing that i am not alone already helps. so please count me into the group
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I want to join too. Right now I am just [I]thinking[I] about exercise, with the goal of actually getting on the treadmill in the next couple of weeks. In the past, once I start exercising (walking, it is the only thing that I stick with) I'm happy...but getting started....that's hard.

I promise that by May 1 I'll be on the treadmill.

Pandora
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #12  
My Evolution

Hi mrsaugie--We meet again!

Pandora--I know what you mean. I had a goal of exercising by Earth day and that worked. I had been off the bandwagon for a long time. If it wasn't for work I wouldn't have had any exercise. To be honest if you don't make it on the treadmill by May 1st that's fine. I think you have to want to exercise on some level and until you are there its pointless because you may start then just give up.

I will check in after I exercise in the morning.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #13  
My Evolution

Okay I did it again. It was better this time. I didn't feel like I was about to die until halfway through. And what's up with that itch in the video asking "Is that it?" Issues!
Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I wasn't able to ride the bike yesterday as it was pouring down rain all evening. I did still get my walking in, so that is something! Today I went and got myself a new workout outfit, just to jumpstart my motivation for the new running program that I'm going to be starting on the 28th. Silly, I know, but anything that gives me extra motivation is a good thing.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #15  
My Evolution

MonteCristo--Good job on still finding a way to exercise!

Oh I love getting new workout dvds/videos and new outfits too. I haven't bought a new outfit in awhile. I wasn't allowing myself to do that because I haven't been working out. Maybe I will set up to reward to buy a new outfit after sticking to my plan for a bit. I need to think about that one.