Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #9

Good morning gals! Jean was #18 so I decided to start a new thread.

We had a fun time with Thomas. We had a nice breakfast at Cracker barrel, though the waitress screwed up our order royally, bringing me biscuits and gravy, UGH, instead of toast and plain pancakes for Kelly instead of the ones with the blackberry topping. Kelly always orders poached eggs and no one seems to be able to poach an egg anymore. One of her eggs was sunny side up and the other one was cooked almost hard inside. We then came back to the house and T did his egg hunt, which Kelly said was way too easy for him so I have to make it harder next year, then he and I colored a dozen eggs and had fun with that. He and Granddad sat at the computer and played a couple of my hidden object games I have, Tom sat and talked with me and Kelly took a nap. She has been traveling again and is low on sleep.

I found the most adorable thing at Cracker Barrel for Jackson. They had all their Easter stuff 40% off and there was this yellow stuffed duck sitting in his bathtub with his legs sticking out of the tub and he had a towel across his back between his wings like he was drying off. It plays the old Bobby Darren song "Splish Splash" and the duck rubs itself with the towel and kicks its feet to the music. It is just adorable. I got it for less than $12!! I am just going to take it with me when we go next week.

Goofed my appt day up. It is tomorrow not today so won't be going to the dr's until tomorrow. I don't know what made me think it was on Monday since he does surgery on Monday and Wednesdays and office hours Tuesday and Thursday. I am calling this morning just to check though!

I guess I better get going and get some work done. I have a few things I want to accomplish with my knitting today after I get my chores done.

Have a good start to the week!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is cold and windy in my corner of the world today -- it was 16 degrees when I got up this morning. It is supposed to be spring according to the calendar! I've been doing laundry and putting Easter things away for another year. It's nice just to putz without having a schedule for a change.

"Gma" -- You are so good about doing your chores before you knit. I put things I don't like to do off as long as I can. I do need to work in the basement this afternoon. I read a hint about setting a timer for doing chores that you don't like to do. When the timer goes off you quit and make a plan for the next time to resume the project. I knew you would enjoy your time with Thomas. Did you ever get your breakfast that you ordered? I could never be a waitress as I couldn't remember who ordered what and how from the table to the kitchen! We've eaten at a couple restaurants where they don't write anything down. I know I couldn't do that!

Hope you are all having a good day! Tomorrow is terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #3  

Good morning to all. Quick post as I have a dr appt this morning and lots of stuff to do before then.

Jean: Yes, we got everything eventually, but I was pretty much done with breakfast by the time I got my toast, but that was ok, I just put some jam on it and enjoyed. I am too anal not to do chores first. I will sit down and it will just keep buzzing in my head I have work to do until I get up and just do it. Sometimes I have to break things up because if I have to bend a lot, my intestines the way they are right now don't like that and will cramp up so I have to sit down for a bit, but I get it all done. At night after we eat, it drives me nuts until I get up and clean up the dishes even if I am watching something good. I will get up and doing it during commercial break and Jack will tell me the program is back on and I will tell him, I am almost finished and will just listen to it as our kitchen opens into our living area.

Nothing much happening. I have had to take out my knitting partially several times because the side V's aren't going in correctly, but I will figure it out.

Have a good day everyone! I have to run!
Faye
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Cool 48 degrees here.

Stan is still very weak but seems to be gaining a little strength each day. I could have shot him this morning - 4 am he decides he wants to get up. Instead of calling me to help him, he decided to do it on his own. Fell. Once he is on the floor, I can't get him up so I had to call the paramedics to come pick him up.

Faye, I'm like you about the dishes. I can't stand a messy kitchen and I keep cleaned up as I cook. I have everything into the dishwasher as I finish with it and then clear the table, scrub the counters and stove and set the coffee pot for the next day before I do anything else. I hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

Jean, take a look at www.flylady.com. It's free. She'll get you organized! She has great speed cleaning hints. Spring is here! Fruit trees are blossoming, spring flowers are blooming, my eyes are itching and my nose is running - yep, it's Spring!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 03-25-2008 at 01:14 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and there is a beautiful blue sky today along with the usual wind. I've spent the morning sorting through old receipts that I have saved for no good reason. I usually save them until the bill comes and then pitch; I get lazy during the school year. I need to do some laundry as Bob announced he is almost out of socks to wear with his boots. Guess I will head to the basement and work on the clutter while the washer washes.

"Gma" -- I hope that the doctor appt. goes well and everything is a 'GO' for April. I know the surgery won't be fun, but in the end will be worth it.

Susan -- I have tried FlyLady and she does have some good ideas. The multiple daily emails got to be too much so I let her fly away. Maybe this summer I will join her again. I hope Stan didn't hurt himself when he fell; men think they have to be so independent. We had our trees trimmed last fall and they are dripping sap as the weather warms up. We had a professional do it so I hope he knew what he was doing.

I need to get busy. Have a great "rest of the day" and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #6  

Good morning to you ladies! We know spring is here too as our dogwoods, tulip trees, and other flowering trees are in full bloom. Won't be long until the Magnolia trees are blooming then it smells so nice here. They planted a lot of magnolia trees here at the condos so it always smells nice when the breeze blows.

Dr appt went fine. I am set for April 21, but I have to have an ekg and some blood tests first. I am waiting for my insurance authorization to come in so I can go and get that done. She was supposed to call in my go lightly prescription so I can clean out again the day before surgery so I will wait until Friday when I take the dog to the groomers and check on that. One of the things I discussed with him is what I needed to do to prevent flair ups. After discussing it with him, I have decided to follow a program called sparkpeople online. It is terrific and free. It will set my menus according to my specifications and I just follow them. I need to do this so I can make sure I get in lots of fiber each day and fiber is one of the things I can put in my dietary requests at this source. The nice thing is if you don't like something, ie I hate asparagus, you can click on a substitution list and it gives you several options of equivalent foods to choose to substitute. I know if I stayed on WW that I wouldn't get enough fiber in on my own. This program is dietary sound, calories sound and provides exercise, water amounts etc too in their program. I think it will work just fine. I just eat what is on the menu each day.

Susan: My sister's husband has ms and when he still lived at home a few months before they had to put him in a nursing home, he would fall a lot and her fire department got to know her so well she would take them cookies all the time to say thank you. Men sometimes only think of instant gratification and not the consequences! lol Hope he gets back to normal real soon. I know it is hard on both of you.

Jean: I have started a list of stuff I have to accomplish before I go into the hospital. It keeps growing of course. The Friday before surgery I have so much on my plate, I don't know how I am going to get it all done. Jack's sister is flying into Little Rock instead of Memphis because it is much much cheaper so we have to go get her and he will have to take her back. It is a 2 1/2 hour trip one way and I thought it best to rent a car both weekends to take her back and forth because since we had the thing with the spark plug, I am nervous about taking the car great distances. So, that is added to my list to pick up the car on Friday afternoon for the weekend. I have to grocery shop that day (that is payday weekend) pay all the bills before I go into the hospital, make sure the spare room is all ready for her, get my hair cut before I go in since it may be awhile before I can get another haircut, etc, etc. I imagine I will be quite busy after we get back from Indiana.

You gals have a good Wednesday and hope it is sunny and warm where you are. It will be in the 70's here today.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flwers! I have been working in the basement today. Patting myself on the back! I found a bunch of play/doll dishes and think Beth had Play Doh in them. I brought them all upstairs to wash and will give Beth's to Maddy. My play dishes are staying here! It started out to be a sunny day but the clouds have rolled in. I see the guy across the street is raking leaves in his shirt sleeves so it must be fairly warm outside. We are supposed to get some rain and snow showers later. I don't care about the snow as long as it melts when it hits the ground.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you belong to the "List Club" too! I don't always follow my lists but I seem to make a lot of them. I know you will get everything done because you are so organized. April 21st will be here before you know it! I hope that this surgery will be easier on you than the last one; it should be because you are not going in as an emergency and in pain. You know I will be thinking of you!

I need to get back to the basement. Bob will be surprised at how much I have gone through and put in Good Will bags! Have a great afternoon and evening. Tomorrow is terrific Thursday -- boy is this week ever flying by!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #8  

Good morning to everyone. Boy it is warm here this morning. It says it is 63 already. Must not have cooled off much overnight. It is supposed to be a nice sunny day. I know my azaleas are blooming and they haven't bloomed since we moved in here 7 years ago!

Jean: My list just grows and grows as I think of things. Some are little and some are more substantial. The carpet shampooing is going to be done by Jack for the most part. We have had trouble with Fortune peeing in the house just since the cat was put down. He seems to concentrate in the hallway upstairs for some reason. Anyway, it has to be shampooed before Jack's sister gets here. Most of the stuff I can do little by little. One of my biggest problems here is space. None of the closets are very big. We have several actually, but they are all small. We have two in the hallway upstairs, but they are like linen closets. We have one filled with my sweaters and the other one with Jack's sweaters and sweatshirts. The spare room has most of my shoes in it and wrapping supplies and it is only about as deep as the linen closets. Jack's in his office is a bit bigger, but it is full of his junk. I have started moving some of my hang up clothes in there because I don't have enough room in our closet. Jack has some room on his side, but gets all wanky if I try to use some of his space. He is an angel, but some of his attittudes are so prissy.

I keep hoping the nurse called in the authorization, but as of yesterday it wasn't posted on the insurance website. I want to go and get the ekg and the blood tests over with. It would be nice to do it tomorrow as I am keeping the car to take Fortune to the groomers.

Nothing much more exciting is happening around here. I am coming along on the back of my sweater and I think I will really like it. I like the "dot stitch" the pattern calls for. It is unusual.

Have a good Thursday!
Faye
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! Warming up here, too - 56 already.

Faye, your hospital must be different than ours. Here you can't get your blood test more than a week before surgery. I'm sure things will go a little easier for you this time since you are more healthy going into surgery and not full of toxins.

The dialysis social worker called me and she is going to try to get Medicare to approve 30 days in Riverside Rehab for Stan so he can get stronger and back on his feet (using his prosthesis). I've got my fingers crossed. I want him to get better and I really could use a break. I've managed to do some damage to my wrist tugging and pulling him. I'll go to the doctor tomorrow if it doesn't improve today. It's really swollen and painful.

I have one closet full of Stan's chef pants and jackets. He doesn't want me to get rid of them (like he'll ever need them again) but they are going to go in the next load. I need more room for fabric...and my off-season clothes. I'm going to pack up winter pants and sweaters this weekend.

Jean, I still have a tea set from my childhood. I wouldn't part with it.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We got up to snow covering everything again, and it continued to snow all morning. Bob thought we had about 5+ inches of heavy wet snow that the snow blower had a hard time blowing. He had to stop and unplug it several times. Now it looks like it is raining -- such weather! It is a sad day at our house because "Mom" died during the night. We are having her cremated because we are running out of room for bodies by the lilac bushes. The ground is still frozen so would have to store her until Bob could dig a deep enough hole. This is the first time in 18 years we have been without a cat.
I have been putzing around from one thing to the next all morning and I need to get myself geared into going back down to the basement.

"Gma" -- I don't think I've ever heard you refer to Jack as being wanky! Thanks for the chuckle . . . I needed that! Here in Iowa you have to have a physical within 24 hours of surgery. I'd been to the doctor at the beginning of the week and surgery was scheduled for Friday so I had to go back on Thursday. He just felt me to see if I was warm and said it was a legal thing required by the state. I didn't have to do that with my toe so maybe it depends on what kind of surgery you are having.

Susan -- I hope the rehab is ok'd for Stan. You need to take care of yourself and helping him can be hard on your joints and muscles. I will keep my fingers crossed!

I need to get moving and accomplish something this afternoon! Have a nice "rest of the day" and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #11  

Good morning to everyone! We are at 67 degrees this morning. I wondered why the condo was so warm upstairs! I have errands and I have to take Fortune to the groomer's today. He is a scruffy little thing right now and really needs a trip. I can't bathe him in the tub anymore so I guess I am just going to have to pay to have the kennel bathe him in between groomings because he gets dirty.

Susan: I hope the social worker can get everything worked out for Stan to get into the rehab center and get himself healthy again and get you some rest too. Hope your wrist and hand improves too. Poor Stan knows that if you get rid of his chef's pants and jackets he will have to truly face the reality that he will never be able to do that again. I mean, he knows he won't but keeping the stuff kind of keeps it from really truly being real for him I imagine. Also, it is likely psychologically that getting rid of the stuff, which was his livlihood, means giving up in a sense. We all do it with something. Jack still has his seabag with his uniforms in them and won't let me get rid of them either. He will be retired from the Navy 20 in November, on our anniversary actually, and he could no more get into that uniform than I could, but he won't let me get rid of the stuff.

Jean: I read what you said to me about the wanky comment to Jack. He sort of lifted his eyebrows as if to say, "What do you mean wanky, I'm not wanky!" I said "What do you call it when you move my couple pieces of clothing back to my stuffed side?" He said it was his side and not mine and I said, yeah, you are wanky! lol To keep from having him all misunderstood like a little boy, I said, "Listen, we all have things we are like that about. I get all bent out of shape if the pots and pans aren't put in the cabinet correctly, stuff like that. It just makes us who we are." I am so sorry about mom. She had the same thing Butterscotch did and when you told us that back a week ago or whatever it was, I was afraid this is what would happen. I know it is hard not to have her around as you have had her such a long time. Again, I am sorry.

I finished the backpack handbag. As you can see, I have my lists all over my computer desk. The ones hanging up are the lists of what to take to the hospital and the one flat on the desk is what I have to do before I go in to the hospital! lol

Well, Jack is up and going and I have to get upstairs and put on some clothes so I can take him to work today.

Have a fantastic Friday and great weekend!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boogapack.jpg (38.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg boogapack2.jpg (23.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! Heading for 75 degrees today!

Don't have to work today so I'm going to WW then Curves and grocery shopping. If I can get that out of the way today, I won't have to go out at all tomorrow.

Faye, the bag is really cute! I love purple paper (and ink) too.

Jean, I'm so sorry about Ma. I'm sure another kitty will soon adopt you.

The trees are leafing out now and my nose is running and I'm sneezing. Dandelions are blooming in my lawn.

Have a good day!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm waiting for Bob to come home so we can leave for a funeral home visit in Sioux City. The guy was a cattle buyer and used to have an office with Bob, but now lived on the other side of the state although Sioux City was his hometown. They found him dead in front of the TV; what a way to go. It will be a Catholic funeral tomorrow and Bob thought we would be going to Jason's to paint so that's why we're going over later today.

It's a bright sunny day here, NO wind for a change, and the snow is melting away. More is on the way over the weekend.

"Gma" -- I agree that we all have our little quirks -- mine are pictures that hang crooked and wrinkles -- I iron a lot! When we had "Mom" to the vet a week ago his office assistant said they had a neutered, declawed Siamese cat that was left behind when his family moved and didn't take him along. I would have never brought another cat home while "Mom" was still alive and am still not ready. This morning Bob mentioned that it just doesn't seem right not to have a cat in the house. I agree, but still think we will wait awhile. All of our cats have lived long lives (15 - 19 years) except for the one that I paid $10 for; she got out one night and was run over up on the highway. She was a Siamese and part dog I think.

Susan -- I would love to see a dandelion right about now! I hope your allergies aren't too bad.

I need to change clothes and get my towels out of the dryer. I ran errands all morning and am behind on my "to do" list! Have a nice evening and a super Saturday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! It turned nippy here yesterday afternoon so it will probably be cool here today and rainy. We can use the rain at least some anyway. I have my azalea blooming full tilt and it could use a drink of water.

Susan: Hope you have a fun day planned for yourself today since you got all your errands run yesterday. We have to do some errands today to get ready for our trip next week and of course there is the NCAA tournament Jack wants to continue watching. At least Memphis U is still in the running for the championship. This town is funny as you see the little flags on the cars, everywhere there are store signs about it and everyone is wearing the Memphis Tiger shirts, hats and such. I want Memphis to win of course, but am not a basketball fan so I sit and knit and listen to a books on tape!

Jean: I keep swearing when Fortune dies that is it. I get too attached to my pets and it is horrible for me when they pass. Mom lived a good long life though, didn't she? Hope you have an enjoyable visit at Jason's. I know the kids will be happy to see grandma and grandpa. I sure can't wait to see my Jackson. He has 6 teeth now! Still isn't crawling or walking, but Jay says it is because he is lazy. Jackson's daddy was lazy too! lol

I have to try and get more yarn for my sweater. I only had 2 skeins to begin with and they are a no color lot, but sometimes there is quite a difference in color so I want to take the part I have done and match the skeins as much as possible. I think we will drop by and give the paperwork to PetSmart for Fortune while we are at it.

Guess I better go ladies. I need to check and see if my authorization is there, though I doubt it as she hasn't called in my prescription yet either. I am going to have to call and get things going I guess.

Have a good weekend.
Faye
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We had a nice sunny morning and then the clouds rolled in. It's windy and cold outside. The roofing guy came to measure our roof for new shingles; we just put new on when we added on in '95-'96 but the company was a rip off selling cheap/inferior shingles and people all over town are having to replace their shingles now. They did give us a $400 settlement -- whoopee. Makes me growly because I could use the thousands for other things. Prices are going up in May so we have to place our order as soon as we get the bid. Bob tried to get bids last year and no one called him back; I guess they didn't like our second story for some reason.

"Gma" -- We didn't end up going to Jason's because the guy who was going to put the texture on didn't come this week. I guess the painting party will be next weekend although I'm not sure if we will make it. We have a wedding on Saturday and that is my morning to work in the gift shop. Both of us feel that it just doesn't feel right not to have a cat around. Each of our cats have been so different and it was hard losing each one. We haven't seen the calico stray for several days and I'm wondering if the other gal, who feeds the strays, has her shut in their garage until she has her kittens. Both of their vehicles have been parked outside the last few days. Our cat hating neighbors aren't home yet after being gone for 2 months so I know they are not trapping them. We had the whole "herd" here last night to eat and drink. Bob has been watching the basketball games too. I either read or take my nap. I think we are going back up to the lake tomorrow and see if we can get into the cabin to pack dishes and bedding for MIL. May will be here before we know it. No wonder I don't seem to make much progress at home.

I need to keep moving. I'm trying to work in the basement and keep getting sidetracked. Have a relaxing "rest of the day" and a super Sunday tomorrow.

Jean -- in Iowa!