Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #13

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm back and with a new mother board whatever that is! Next on my list is to get high speed hook up.

I have not heard anything from Jack nor Faye. I hope that everything went well with her surgery.

It's been a nice sunny day in my neighborhood with rain and cold moving in tonight.

I had a wonderful day at school today! Four of my challenging students were not in class -- 3 were skipping and the 4th is in in-school suspension for the week.

I need to catch up on reading the posts. Hope all is well with all of you. I'll be back tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #2  

So glad to have you back, Jean! Missed you!

That worries me that you haven't heard about Faye. Hope Jack has just forgotten to email you.

Got the approval today for Stan's Physical Theraphy. I think that will help. He seems to be doing a little better each day and the medications are doing their job so far.

My doctor called yesterday and my thyroid is out of whack once again. We're trying brand name only Synthroid only for a month at my current dosage and if that doesn't fix it we'll have to go up again. I'm already on a high dosage and with that and my ashtma meds have a huge risk of osteoprosis so I'm on 1200 mg Calcium Citrate + D daily. At least it explains my weight stall.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Still no news about Faye, I guess. She should be coming home in a few days so maybe then.

Busy morning. Got Stan ready for MT pickup then did 3 loads of laundry and cleaned half the living room carpet. Now I'm off to the grocery store - hate going anymore. I'm treating myself to lunch out. I don't think I'll go to Curves today - got plenty of exercise so far. I went last night and I'll go tomorrow morning while he naps.

Beautiful day today, headed for 80 degrees. I put the sheets out on the line and a blanket I washed.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold, windy, and rainy in my neighborhood today. Since we have no heat at school I am back to wearing my winter long sleeves and have an extra sweater "just in case."

Yesterday we brought all of MIL's bedding and towels home to wash; she hadn't unpacked any of it from 2 summers ago when she was in the other facility for 3 weeks. This place is new, but it isn't nearly as nice as the one she was in before. Her view out the window is the alley and crummy garages with junk all around them. Not sure yet when she is coming back to Iowa. We also went appliance shopping and I have a new washer, dryer, and dishwasher coming on Monday. I am excited!

Susan -- I have not heard a thing from Jack. I am worried too. I'm glad that Stan is doing better and hope that you are soon back to normal too. I would kill for 80 degrees today! It was 36 on my way home from school!

Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow Friday In The Early Evening

GOOD EVENING FLOWERSIt is almost 6 pm and my little temp gage says it is 76 degrees.* Feels good though.* It got up in the 80's today.* I too haven't heard from Faye or Jack.* As the old addage goes, and I do hope it is in this case, "no news is good news."* However, I sure would like some news as to how she is doing.

JEAN How nice you got your computer back.* Isn't the mother board the hard drive?* Just when you get some momentum with those onery kids they absent themselves.* Summer school for them.* WOW new appliances:* You go girl.* Oh happy day.
SUSAN Your energy gets me breathless.* You are a little whirlwind of activity. Sorry to hear your thyroid is out of whack and hope they can get you regulated sook.* I just got the lab results of my visit this month down south and I passed all areas with flying colors.* Guess I'm just a "healthy fat person."* Well I do take my thyroid meds and my blood pressure meds but they are working fine.* There! I did my bit of bragging but I am so thankful.* And I am not gloating and really wasn't bragging just stating facts.*

Type at ya'al later
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #6  

Good afternoon, ladies! Up in the 80's and a beautiful day.
Stan sat outside in his wheelchair for an hour. He's having a good day, so that means I am!

Finishing up switching my clothes around and getting rid of the XL ones. Good grief, I've worn a 10-12 for 3 years and I still wear this huge stuff that falls off around the house. My closet is stuffed so there's no lack of the right size so out the big stuff is going, along with a half dozen pair of shoes with heels higher than I'll ever wear again.

Maggie, glad your tests came back okay.

Jean, the motherboard holds all the processor chips for your computer, the ram, etc. It is separate from the hard drive. Its actually the brain of the whole operation.

Have a good evening!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! Today began with sunshine, wind, and cold -- 30 degrees when I came downstairs at 7:00. The sun has disappeared so I suppose the rain will arrive soon. I've been doing laundry and cleaning out the laundry room. I also made a grocery run and Bob said to get some "real" meat. Evidently he thinks he is going to sprout feathers if I fed him chicken again tonight.

Maggie -- I'm glad you had good lab numbers too! That was what was so surprising when Bob got sick a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully his visit with the doc will just be a follow-up chat and nothing more. Want to trade temperatures?

Susan -- I'm glad to hear that you and Stan are both having a good day. I figured the mother board must be important. I wonder what the life span is on one that is used in an office all day long? My computer is about 5 years old, I think, and I'm on it maybe an hour a day at the most. I'm just glad it was something that could be fixed and not have to invest in a new computer right now.

I should go check on the dryer and see if it is done. It would be nice to have the laundryroom upstairs where the bedrooms are.

Have a nice evening and a relaxing Sunday.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #8  

Good afternoon from a cool, rainy Virginia!

Jean, mother boards rarely give out. Make sure you have good ventilation all around your computer because heat builds up even with the fans running inside and that causes them to fail. I have a computer I bought in 1995 (Dell) that still functions perfectly and has never had a repair. My computer at work is used less now, but I used to be on it 10 hours a day. No problems. My laundryroom is upstairs - I love it since that is where most of the dirty laundry is.

Didn't Faye say she should be going home from the hospital sometime this week? Maybe we'll hear something from her then. I'm going to slap Jack upside the head if he just forgot to tell us how she did.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm waiting for MIL's towels to dry and sheets to wash and then we are taking a load to her apt. I just hope we are not doing all of this for no reason! The sun has been in and out all day and there is a stiff breeze so it's not too warm outside. The water in the birdbath froze last night.

Susan -- My computer sits in a little cubby hole at the bottom of my computer desk. Perhaps I should pull it out; the door is open and there is a "hole" in the back wall but the desk itself sits in a corner with walls on both sides. I did get an email from Jack today! Better late than never.

jean,

this is jack, faye's husband. i wanted to give you an update on donna.

she had her surgery on monday, so monday night she had a rough night. but she is doing much better today. she went on a liquid diet on friday and on saturday her surgureon put her on a full regular diet.

she is getting up a little bit at a time

jack

I need to clean out underneath my kitchen sink so Bob can unhook the old dishwasher. I have one more load to do and then I am done for the day.

Have a nice "rest of the day" and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #10  

What a relief! Sounds like Faye is doing okay and will be home soon.

Jean, we had a desk like that at work and had problems with that computer due to overheating in the cubby hole. We took it out and its been fine since. They look nice but they do overheat the computer and they are cranky when hot. LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am on my way to bed shortly but wanted to check in here first. I had a perm after school and I was beginning to think I would have to spend the night there! After 3 1/2 hours I was finally on my way home! I was the only one there as she doesn't usually work on Mondays.

Our town is having a "pick up the junk" day/week going on. The east side of town was last week and our side of town is this week. You would not believe the horrible mattresses and furniture people have put out. I can't imagine that people actually had this stuff in their houses. There are appliances, jillions of computers, tires, bikes, -- you name it and it's out by the curb. Scavengers have been driving around and pawing through other people's stuff. Metal collectors are having a hay day. This morning the guys put my washer, dryer, and dishwasher out. Bob came home 2 hours later and the washer and dryer were gone! We also put out some old luggage that the Good Will won't take, an old icky stuffed chair that belonged to my grandmother that I didn't like, and a wooden bookcase that had gotten wet in the basement so had some mold on it. All gone by 6:00 tonight. The funny part is that the east side of town hasn't been completely cleaned up yet. I doubt that the city fathers will ever do this again as it has turned into a nightmare.

Susan -- Thanks for the computer desk tip. I have a small table in the basement and will bring it upstairs to put the computer on.

I have a sinus headache so am going to take something and head off to bed. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! Cool this morning - 55 degrees! But the rain seems to be over.

Jean, I'm surprised they let people put computers out. They should not be put into a landfill because they contain mercury, especially in monitors. We have 2 collections for computer equipment a year and we have to take the computers and pay $10 each for disposal. I do wish we had a big item pickup however. I never know how to get rid of furniture and stuff like that.

I hope Faye gets home from the hospital soon. You always feel better at home.

We had 3 tornados touch down in Suffolk, about 40 miles from where I live, yesterday. Lots of destruction, 100 injured people. The little tiny town of Driver was about wiped out. Scary stuff - we never have tornados here, just hurricanes.

Have a good day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 04-29-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow In the Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON

I can hardly believe it ~ Hughes finally got through with it's update and I have my computer internet back. Guess their mail system needed a big overhaul. I don't use it because I use IncrediMail and love it. I am greatly satified with this satelite connection Hughes offers though. So glad we found it since we don't have a land line.

JEAN That is too funny about all that curbside garbage being snatched up. The old addage is true ~ Someones trash is someones elses treasure. Hope your new appliances work great for you for years to come. I am so glad that you finally got a report from Jack about Faye and that she is getting stronger by the day.

SUSAN I am so glad you and Stan are getting to feel better. I applaud you for getting rid of those large sizes that you have shrunk out of. I don't have many articles of clothing anymore since we moved into this motor home so I usualy wear mine out and throw them out. No storage in this rig for extra stuff.

Type at ya'll later (hope those *'s aren't all over this post. Wonder what makes that happen anyway.)

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! The sun was shining brightly but it isn't any too warm today. The school building is still cold, cold, cold! It might warm up by the time school is out for the summer. The superintendent paid us a visit today and commented that one of the teachers had her jacket on; she invited him to come and sit in her room, but of course he didn't.

Susan -- I'm sure that from the looks of the computer piles, people are bringing them home from business offices to get rid of them. Supposedly the stuff is being hauled to a central location to be divided up as to where they will go next. We live in tornado country so I'm kind of surprised at how many are being reported in the southern U. S. My hometown had a tornado in 1968 and it did two things that are never supposed to happen. It crossed the river and it hit the same area twice; the first time was many, many years before. There were people killed and a path of destruction right through the middle of town. They are scary for sure. I don't think I would want to experience a hurricane nor a tornado. We lived in Sioux City at the time; Bob had just left for Viet Nam and my parents were helping me move to a new apartment. I hope you and Stan had a good day!

Maggie -- Glad to see you back with us again. I wondered where you disappeared to. I've been reading my "how to" books on the new appliances. They are supposed to be "smart" and know how dirty my clothes and dishes are. I didn't see any *s except the one you typed in.

Bob came home from work and we took another load to MIL's apt. I'm sure she has no clue what is involved in her moving once again.

I'm heading for bed after I decide what WARM clothes I will wear tomorrow. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! A lovely sunny but cool day today. At least the rain is gone.

Glad it's Hump Day! Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Jean, I love the appliances that are supposed to be smart - for some reason they never seem to do what they are supposed to for me. Maybe I have dumb detergent, etc.

Maggie, glad to have you back! We missed you.

Have a good day!