Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #16  

Good evening, ladies! Dialysis and visiting nurse day today. Things are getting better. Stan's protein and potassium are both low so the dietician told me to give him anything he wanted to eat for the next few weeks. It always falls in the hospital. I swear they know nothing about a renal diet although the sheet on the tray says it is. So far he has requested lasagna, pizza, and peanut butter.

Faye, you have inspired me. I'm going to clean the bedroom carpet this weekend. I have to do it in sections because the the king-size bed. I'm going to do some rearranging and move my quilt frame in and put it near the window. Stan naps for about 2 hours after dialysis and I could sit and quilt up there. Now it's in the family room.

Pizza delivery around here is okay but just a few miles away it's a life-threatening job. They get robbed and shot.

Jean, the Hampton is the next city to York County. One of their high schools just made the list of the 10 worst schools in the USA. On the other hand, York County schools are near the top and people move here to get into the school system...and our taxes are the lowest around. But the County Commissioners were smart enough to take in 3 Walmarts so they pay for a lot.

Have a good weekend.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #17  

Good Evening, Flowers! We went to Sioux City this afternoon and did some quick shopping. Bob was looking for a new pair of leather gloves, I needed new undies, and "Mom" needed kitty litter from SAM's. I ended up with a new iron and a new toaster to "play" with. The stores are showing summer shoes, purses, and some clothing already. The winter sale racks are full of sizes small and medium. Bob is going to Jason's and help sheetrock tomorrow; I haven't decided if I am going or not. I should stay home and clean, do laundry, etc. Seeing Ian and Zowie sounds like more fun!

"Gma" -- The last time we went to Maui we did a lot of the touristy sight seeing stuff. We spent a day in Honolulu which we won't do again. I wonder if the hotel you mentioned is painted pink? If so (I can't remember the name off hand) it was USAF officers' quarters during WWII and my dad was stationed there. When we were there in '69 it was a hotel and we saw it again when we were there two years ago. I would have loved to go inside but it was raining, wall to wall people and cars, no place to park, and so we drove on by. This time we are planning to do a lot more whale watching from the boat. They are so awesome to watch. Our room faces the ocean and last time we were lucky enough to have some to watch from our balcony each day; it's much better being out in the boat though. We'd also like to tour another part of the island that we didn't get to the last time. There is a winery that has tours so may do that. Jason's FIL just fell and tore/broke something I can't remember the name of and ligaments in his knee so is on crutches. They have done an MRI but he can't get into an orthopedic surgeon until Feb. 11 and we leave the 15th. They are trying for another surgeon or possibly Mayo since he had his heart surgery there. I know the athletes who get hurt are on crutches one day, have surgery the next, and are back in school the next so I don't know what the problem is. He says he is going to Maui no matter what!

Susan -- The current debate with the local school board is to eliminate TB testing for children entering the school district. One board member says we need to keep requiring it because of where the immigrants are coming from while the rest say it is a hardship for parents to come up with the $10 fee. We have a "free" clinic here in town that caters to those who have little or no insurance and the fees are based on income and ability to pay. Teachers are upset because we feel they need to keep the testing and shots up to date to protect those already here. It is a mess for sure. Our Walgreen's opened yesterday -- I am so excited to go, but will wait for a few days to let the rest of the population check it out. I hope Stan continues to improve and feel better.

Hope you all have a nice weekend! It will fly by like they all do.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #18  

Good morning to all of you. We got a little sleet yesterday and I noticed the deck was wet this morning and I haven't ventured out on it in case it is slippery. I will let Jack check it out when he gets up. We have that "heat" stuff that melts stuff, but I worry about Fortune getting into it. I guess I should bring the bottle in and read it. I put down some yesterday before I went to pick up Jack as the deck got slick but I don't want to put down any more until I check.

Fortune has a clean bill of health for another year. Cost me $151 to find that out. That didn't include shots. Because we have been there a long time they gave him his bordatella booster and his parvo booster to us free, saving us $20, but when I got home and looked at the receipt, I saw they didn't give him his rabies, distemper, etc so back we went and because they goofed up, we got those free as well, which saved another $50. So, if I would have had to pay the whole thing, over $200

Jean: The pictures don't look like the hotel is pink, but it I looked at the website and it says it is built on a parcel of land that used to be Fort DeRussy, an old army base so I don't think it is the same thing. It says something about Fort DeRussy being an army museum now and the parcel of land and something called Battery Randolph is the hotel. It looks pretty good size. I hope Jason's fil can get some help and maybe get things going before he goes. It will be a miserable trip for him though no matter whether they fixed him up last night or not until next week. I broke my foot years and years ago and was miserable for quite awhile before it settled down. If he messed up his knee he is in for trouble for sure. I can tell you he isn't going to want to be walking around much. How many of you go together? I guess I thought it was just you, Bob and a couple who are friends of yours.

Susan: I dread moving all the furniture around in the living room, but Jack hates where the couch is, says he can't see tv very well and the living room is actually a den and doesn't have one solid wall to it so putting furniture around can be difficult. I have one wall with the door to the outside and a huge picture window, the next one has the outjut of the fireplace a tiny alcove then a built in closet under the stairs, the next one has the door to the hallway and the other has the opening into the kitchen. Makes decorating difficult at best, but I will do my best! lol Hope Stan gets to eat all his favorites and gets to feeling lots better. Jack is upstairs hurting this morning with his hip and knees. I imagine it is this cold weather, but I can always tell when he really hurts as he asks for Ibuprophen. Otherwise he never says a word even though his knees hurt all the time.

I am tired of knitting sweater pattern even though I only have sleeves yet so I bought yarn yesterday and started an adorable apple hat for my dil's sister's baby for the shower. I can't wait to finish it and post it. I have to tell you Susan, I don't see how you knit socks. Those teeny needles kill my hands.

I think I am going to go and take a shower and change my bag this morning. Have a good Saturday all!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #19  
Web Nana

A cold good evening to you all!
After reading all the posts I just had to pop in with some info on Hawaii.
The 'pink' hotel in Honolulu is called the Royal Hawaiian. It may have been turned over to the military during the 2nd World War but as you said, Faye, it is not the military hotel now. The military hotel is called Hale Koa Hotel and it is on Wakiki but about a mile away from the Royal Hawaiian. When we were in Honolulu in '83 we were not yet eligible for it.
Jean I hope you will have a wonderful time in Maui. We were only there for 2 days which wasn't really enough to see it all. Maybe someday we will get back but I hava my doubts.

Faye you seem to be doing well in the health department and I hope it keeps up and you pass your tests with flying colors.

Susan: I am very happy to hear that Stan is improving even though he has a way to go yet. Good health is one step at a time. I think moving your craft table to the bedroom would be a great idea as you can quilt and keep company with Stan at the same time.

Mary: I am a once in a while poster from MA. We are retired and are the oldest in this group. Just celebrated our 50th Anniversary. This winter DH and I have been hit hard by arthritis and hope summer heat will bring some relief.

Take care all and keep warm.

Gloria in MA
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #20  

Good Evening, Flowers! The only things I accomplished today were two loads of laundry, getting the papers read, and a 5 hour car ride! I did have a good time with Ian and Zowie; Amanda, Zowie, and I went to the mall and you would have thought it was Christmas shopping time! I think everyone must have cabin fever and with a nice day decided to get out. I need to iron something to wear to church tomorrow and I'm heading to bed.

"Gma" -- Ft. DeRussy is where we met the guys coming for R & R! They bussed them in from the airport and the wives made a tunnel for them as they got off the bus. As I recall it was 4 AM or close to it! Now that Gloria said the Royal Hawaiian, I remembered that is the name of the pink hotel. We go to Maui with Jason's in-laws, Ann and Denny. He came to help sheet rock today w/o the crutches. He favors the knee but says it doesn't hurt. I would think he would be doing more damage to it by using it, but what do I know?

Gloria -- It's nice to see you again! I hope Arthur Itis takes a vacation from you and your DH soon!

Have a relaxing Sunday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote