Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Tleef: the blue line also has vegetables in cans that are lower in sodium. I always buy these.

Justwant: Wow!! No wonder you didn't know about it!

We just got 10 cm of snow!! I can't take this anymore!!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #122  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh Good Grief . . . Another inch of fresh snow on the ground . . . somehow, I don't think this will be disappearing too soon, because it is about to get covered in a lot of other nasty stuff -- are there any two more dreaded words in the Canadian Winter Vocabulary than ICE STORM. Oh well, probably a good thing that this will be a stay at home day for me. Found out yesterday that I'll be spending a fair bit of time at the dentist this month . . . have to have a root canal done . . . right now I'm taking a round of penicillin to knock down the infection so that can do the RC, and (as often happens with antibiotics) my tummy is 'complaining'

Right you are TLEEF . . . although my son got out after he returned from his tour in 'you know where', my DIL is still in the forces. They have moved to Bonnyville actually, since DS got into civilian police work (he was an MP - a Master Sergeant, BTW).

On the continuing saga of the Blue Menu products -- one of my all time favourites is the cauliflower-topped Shepherds Pie. I recommmend it to everyone; even those who think they hate veggies can't tell the difference.

Anyway . . . have a great day, gang . . . hope your weather turns out to be better than my weather.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #123  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Sorry to hear so many of you are having nasty weather. We had a sprinkling of snow overnight (maybe an inch); but we have had lovely sun and mild temps today. Have just been busy doing housework: laundry and organizing some cupboards and the pantry to see what we have. We washed our livingroom rug yesterday with a great cleaning machine we got on sale; so glad we bought it, as it is soooo easy! It paid for itself in two cleanings ...

Hope you all have a great day! ROSEBUD
Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #124  
Onward and Downward

We ended up with another totally weird weather event yesterday -- first of all, that bit of snow; then a bunch of freezing rain; then overnight it poured ordinary rain and it warmed up to about 5 or 6. This morning -- no remaining stuff on the ground and beautiful sunshine, but the temp dropped down to 2. Can hardly wait to see what happens tomorrow -- it's becoming a constant surprise.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #125  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .
Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

We are expecting a bad storm tonight! I just went to the store to stock up on soem healthy stuff cause who knows!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #127  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Well, it's definitely the Canadian thread as the topic is snow!

I thought I would jump in and say hello. I'm in Southwestern Ontario, just watching the snow flakes come down. I hear the forecast is for 30-40cm over the next 24 hours. I'm kind of glad the shopping is done and won't really have to go out until maybe Monday.

So... hello, my name is Anne. I'll try and give the short version introduction.

I'm one of those always overweight people, from childhood on. I'm not saying that I never dieted, but maybe a better explanation is 'never successfully' dieted. Once I went over the 330 max on the scale I just kind of ignored it. After seeing someone else use the floor scale at our plant a few years back (early 2004) I waited until nobody was around and did the same. Well, I really was shocked - it said 412 pounds. And there was no pretending it wasn't right, I'd just paid someone to calibrate it. With steel-toed shoes and fully dressed I decided it was about 5 pounds high (although not until much later).

So, in Feb. 2004 I started my first real diet. Originally it was not calorie restricted. I used to joke that it was 'no meat, no fat, no sugar'. What's left - vegetables, legumes, soy, and... well, that's about it. I did that until just after the end of the year, including a very expensive cruise in December of that year, where I was almost 100 pounds lighter than where I started.

I hadn't started any real exercise plan, but when I got down to the 100 pounds lost point I decided I should. With a little help from a friend I started using the gym from work. He kept telling me I had to eat a better diet than I was, and I listened a little (but not enough). I started using the treadmill, working hard (eventually to about 3.5mph with 10% grade - for an hour 5 days a week). I had a job where I could be on my feet all day if I chose to, so I did. I don't remember exactly what I was eating, but I know it was under 1500 calories a day. I did drop another 25-30 pounds over 5 months, but I did so at the expense of my health.

I ended up in the hospital in early June (2005) with a pleural infection around one lung. Let's put it this way - I spent 17 days in hospital. Maybe it means more in Ontario, but you just don't stay that long unless you're very ill. I even went home with a drainage tube since I was better, but the fluid was still infected. I'd run myself into the ground and my body just couldn't fight it off. The crazy thing was - I felt great the Friday before I went into the hospital. While recovering I was told to listen to my body when I wasn't feeling well. The whole point was that I felt fantastic on Friday, not so great on Sat/Sun... actually not until I went into the hospital did I really feel horribly sick. Okay, I had warning signs about a month and a half before I went in (but that's another story).

So much for short....

Well, I gained the 25-30 pounds back while recovering. I held the 300 pounds (roughly) until perhaps the summer of 2006. I think I was paranoid about working out, and just didn't know what to do. I had switched jobs in the fall, to a place where nobody knew the hard working gal who had lost 100 pounds. And, I wasn't happy in the job, which didn't help either. Over the last 6 months of 2006 I slowly went up to about 330. Again, that dangerous time, when you don't get a weight on the home scale.

I had the opportunity to travel from Jan-May in 2007 - around the world on a freighter (another long story). Quick answer - I quit my job and went. I couldn't diet when I was away, but when I got home I was 321 - without trying. Now I was home, looking for work. The quick answer on that is those that wanted me to work for them, I didn't want. Those I wanted to work for, didn't want me. This was new for me. Most times I've wanted to find work I haven't had a real problem.

Are you surprised that I started gaining weight? So, back in Dec. 2007 I was in Costco one day and went looking for a scale. I had decided that things had to change. I bought a scale that went up to 400 lbs and stripped down and stepped on it the morning of Dec. 7th.

358.2 lbs

It was a good decision, since I just recently broke the 330 mark, and I'm not sure I could have maintained a good plan without knowing where I was. My first real goal is 321 pounds (where I was in early June of last year). The next will be under 300, and the next meaningful goal will be 275 - a weight I don't think I've been in decades (well, except when dehydrated in the hospital).

The difference is, I'm no longer dieting. I've found a plan of eating that I believe I can do for the rest of my life. With few exceptions, I don't eat diet foods. I still keep an eye on calorie counts, and I make meals lighter than I did in the past. I currently aim for 2000 - 2100 calories a day, with some slight changes next week when I'm starting a lifting program (at home for the moment, I'm low on cash).

Luckily I bought a treadmill back when I could afford it, and I use it 6 days a week. I admit, I'm a treadmill junky. I'm more careful now, doing a slower pace, although I use the incline to raise my heart rate. When I lose more weight I'll likely work on the speed. I have to watch those knees. Yes, I'm over 40 and still working on the weight.

I'm still unemployed, but again by choice. I'm making another change - going back to school in September (Mechanical Engineering Technology). The companies that weren't interested kept pointing to my lack of technical background as a problem. I know this won't solve my problems, but at the end of the course I'll have more options. My area was quality (automotive), but I'd rather spend more time on the process side. This education, which includes work terms, will help me compete on that side as well.

Of course, I'll be mid-40s, single, educated, with a larger equity loan on the house... and hopefully done with the weight loss and on to maintaining.

I think I'll stop now... that was much longer than I was going to make it. Perhaps I should have just waved hello! Anyway, I need to go shovel out the back patio so I can light the barbecue.

Yes... I am Canadian.

I'm using the snow globe today because it just seems appropriate. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I will spend some time reading the rest of the thread (at least the more recent posts).

Last edited by RealCdn; 03-07-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #128  
Onward and Downward

Hi ANNE . . .
Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #129  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ANNE ~ your story is interesting and fun to read (the pics too); and we can empathize with you how the weight can go up and down over time. I never really said much about my journey and how I got here; guess I should share a bit at least.

I was normal weight as a child; but then I had a couple of horrible corrective surgeries as I was born with spina bifida. They were very traumatic for me, and thank GOD they don't do them like that anymore! Anyhow, after we moved to the country, I gained a few pounds, but when I started working in a store and had money, I gained weight in my early teens.

Was PUT ON a diet at 15 y/o to lose 25 lbs, but was not taught how to maintain it, so I promptly gained it all back with interest. Later, a nurse suggested a high protein plan which I went on after I moved out on my own just after my seventeenth birthday. Was working hard and slimmed to 117 lbs. Went back to school and gained some back (12 lbs); so I joined a gym and climbed to 139 lbs but finished school; and then at college the same, gained even more (up to 150's, 160's +; not really sure ???).

Went back to work and started losing again; steadied at 137 lbs for a few years. When I was laid off my job, I slowly gained weight again. I lost and gained, over and over, esp when I was recovering from one of my many injuries. Those injuries left me in pain and unable to walk very well (broken limbs and a dislocated knee, which kept popping and collapsing).

Finally, I got jaded after dozens of attempts to lose weight and keep it off; and as I got older, it got harder and harder; and I got bigger and bigger. I felt duped by the doctors, dieticians, and nutritionists, and other experts??? I spent mega dollars on books and plans; and I have a room of exercise equipment that I can't even use right now.

SUMMARY ~ in the winter of 2005-06, I fell ill and ended up in the hospital too: was very, very sick. I realized that I just had to get some of this weight off; I must admit that it was a kind of epiphany for me; and a spiritual awakening or renewal at the same time. I realized that I didn't want to waste one more minute; NO, not one more second, not enjoying my life to the fullest. I have made many, many changes in my life in every way.

I lost about 25 lbs from my illness, so that gave me a start. My goal was to do as much research as I could and find a healthier way to live for the rest of my life. My health has slowly gotten better over the last two+ years and I have lost a lot of weight, inches, and sizes. The doctor's scale says that I weigh 10 lbs less than my digital at home; but I'm ignoring that, and just continuing on ...

Seven paragraphs: well, that's enuff for now. We had good weather today and I got some gorgeous pics of a 'FULL WINTER RAINBOW' right out our kitchen door this morning, at dawn. Click on these two links to see the pics I took ~

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...6&d=1204932689

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...5&d=1204931890

Have a great weekend everyone! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-07-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #130  
Anne

Thank you both for the welcome. It is kind of nice that there's a place for the Canadian Chicks to hang out.

Rosebud - I always like hearing people's stories. We're all so different, even though we have the same struggle. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I just noticed this Canadian area. I guess I need to look around a bit more...

Hi all - a bit of an intro:

I'm from Nova Scotia originally, and I moved to Montreal in 1990 with DH so he could go to grad school. Been here ever since. I'm almost 40, still married to my teenage sweetheart, no kids (by choice), two cats and a noisy parrot. And more than a few plants... I'm a plantaholic/aka gardener.

I started sort of trying to lose weight and get some exercise this past fall, with free weights and I lost a few pounds. This past January DH was diagnosed with high blood pressure (he could stand to lose about 15-20 pounds, but he certainly wasn't in *desperate* need of it - BMI of 26.1). That scared the crap out of him (and me), and he agreed to follow the doc's advice to get some real exercise. We bought an elliptical, and he's been using it every day and his BP has come down quite a bit. So, with his health scare, and with the new elliptical, I decided I wanted to prevent some other scare for me and I got serious about exercise. So far, so good

BP
Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #132  
Anne

Hello Bopeep,

Having exercise equipment in the home is wonderful. I know that I can use weather, and being too tired, etc. to avoid going out to do things. When it's sitting about 5 feet away from the desk it seems to be easier to get on it and do it. I sometimes wish I'd bought an elliptical instead of a treadmill, but I think it's more that I wish I'd had room for both! It's too bad that it took a health scare, but it sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #133  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Good Morning Canadian Beauties!

Well my story is not nearly as interesting as the others...but I'll give it anyhow.

I've pretty much been overweight my whole like. Not REALLY overweight, but overweight none the less.

I met my first real BF in 1991 and we moved in together almost immediately. I was 17, he was 18 and my mother moved to the US so I had no choice but to try and make life work. In 1992 I decided I would try and lose some weight, I was about 175 and at 5'4" that put me well over a healthy body weight. I found an MD that prescribed me Ionamin and in less than 3 months I had lost 40lbs, but I was weak, pale and my hair started to fall out. I quit the pills and almost immediately got pregnant with my daughter. She was born 4 months after my 19th birthday. After my pregnancy I sat around the 160-170 range for a long time.

In 1997 my BF and I broke up and I finished post secondary school. I got a good job that payed well and slowly over the next three years climed to almost 200lbs. I started Slim Fast and working out at Spa Lady in 2000 and lost about 25lbs. I felt great and for reasons that are unclear now I stopped the diet. Again over the next 6 years I gained again (really poor eating...sometimes McD's 5 times a week and no exercise to speak of) up to 227. In late May 2007 I again started SF and working out at Curves and dropped down to 202.5 by July. I went to my sister's wedding in Kansas City, MO in July 07 and never really went back on plan after that. From August 07 to January 08 I gained back 7.5lbs to 209.5. On January 14/08 I started back on the SF full out and have since dropped down to 196.

I'm getting married on June 1/08 to my daughter's father. We reunited in March 2006 after 9 years of just being friends and spending lots of time together (platonic) with our daughter. It's been like a fairy tale being back together and he proposed on September 15/07. Everyone always told us that we were meant to be together, I guess we just had to find that our for ourselves. I won't be at goal for our wedding, but we have a wedding to attend in December in the Dominican and so we're going to make that our honeymoon as well and I'd like to be at goal or very close by then!

bopeep: I have a bit of a zoo as well, a black lab, a house rabbit and THREE noisy parrots. I'm actually the president of the parrot club in town and although I love it, I'll be very glad when my two year position comes to an end in May of this year.

With planning the wedding, working two jobs, a 15 year old daughter and running a household I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. But I have found that having complete control over my food intake I feel empowered. I work out 3x a week at Curves and we walk the dog for 1 - 1-1/2 hrs a day and I'm really trying to work my schedule to allow for me to go to Aquasize once a week minimum.

RealCdn: I wish I had more equipment at home. I only have a stationary bike and while it is good for cardio...it hurts my bum! LOL I would love to get some free weights at home and a treadmill...but cash is at a premium right now with the wedding only 12 weeks away (gosh that's scary). Maybe I can use some of the wedding cash we'll likely get to buy a treadmill. My SO is really great about supporting this whole process even though he says I'm perfect at any weight...Awww...sweet, but a little bit of a drag. Maybe it would be easier if he said things like "hey, you could stand to lose a few lbs."...but probably not! LOL

Anyhow I have to start emailing florists for more quotes so I can book my flowers. Hope you all have an outstanding day! Thanks to everyone for the info on the PC Blue Line...I'll check it out very soon.

Cheers,
Tamara
Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #134  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

I would love a "smith" machine -- but somehow, don't think I'm going to get one.

Have a good day, gang.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

RealCdn - I'm such a weather wuss - it was my biggest excuse to get out of exercising in the past, when I had a gym or pool membership. I hate cold and I hate snow. getting something to use at home was the answer for us. I'm absolutely in love with my elliptical. I've never used one before, so I didn't know what to expect. I let DH pick the sort of machine we got because he was the one that really *needed* it and he had to pick one that he'd use. He liked the look of the elliptical motion and knew he'd hate running on a treadmill so that's what we wound up getting. We're not exactly rolling in either cash or space so I never really seriously considered buying one before, but with a health scare, we reprioritized what to spend our cash on

tleef - Three parrots???!!! Gads - I'm still half deaf from my one bird's noise fit this morning. I made French toast, and he was climbing all over me screaming at me to hurry up and give him his piece - he loooves French toast! What kinds are they? We have a 20 year old Petz conure. We used to have an orange fronted conure as well, but she died. And congrats on the upcoming marriage!

Meowee - what's a 'smith ' machine? Sorry to ask, but my brain isn't working today... I need to get another cup of tea and try to get it kick started.

BP

Last edited by bopeep; 03-08-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Closed Thread