Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post

Yep, you read it right. I tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the Fat Smash Diet, and South Beach--ALL of these in 2007. And I am still the same weight as I was last year. The diet mentality has gotten me NOWHERE.

For the first time ever, I will LISTEN to my body. My body will tell me when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat. Get this--my body has had this capability all along and I've never listened to it! It's kind of like having a feature you never knew about on a car that you've had for years.

My focus will be on how I FEEL more than what the scale says.

I am committing to loving my body more this year and taking good care of it with pampering, exercise, and eating what it wants, without guilt. No more diets of any kind. No more abusing my body with too much food.

I like Nelie's signature: "Eat for the body you WANT, not the body you HAVE."

I'm looking forward to being on this journey with all of you....
YES! This is what I'm doing... though I am paying attention to the scale.
I am have found that while I am not losing quickly, i AM losing. The first four weeks of my journey were really learning to listen to my body, and learning to feel what HUNGRY is and how much - well really how little - food it takes to quell that feeling. I am relearning how fantastic good fresh clean food can taste, and have completely lost my taste for processed "unnatural" foods. my body doesn't want it, though my brain did. it doesn't anymore.
it is amazing what you can learn from your body if you just pay attention to it. I've been eating what I want, when I want, with an emphasis on natural foods, and a limit on the junk... but I just don't even WANT the junk anymore. my body doesn't need it, doesn't crave it, and I hardly even think about it anymore.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #17  
No description available.

I like new days, new weeks, new months and new years! We have so many opportunities to try again. For me, I just need to not give up. I need to persist and keep doing the things I need to do. And that means healthy foods in proper portions and daily exercise (groundbreaking--I know!!). Slips are not fatal to my efforts, but I can't allow myself to slip too often cause then I start justifying my actions to myself.

So, it's back to basics, keep it simple, one meal, one day at a time and all those cliches that apply so well.

A whole new LEAP year spread out before us at our feet and the opportunity to grab control and make our dreams come true! Sounds pretty good to me!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
Hey y'all.....I'm joining you in this group, BUT with one huge difference....

I am NOT dieting in 2008.
Oh, Jen, my long lost sister...you know I'm not "dieting," either! Diet is such an evil 4-letter word. I'm just going to pay more attention to my diet, diet being what I put into my body. I want to make more conscious decisions instead of just eating whatever happens to be convenient. I can live a fat, unhealthy, convenient life, or I can use some common sense and live a healthier, fitter, more sensible life!

I can't depend on my body for hunger signals because after years of improper eating, I don't think my body has any idea when or how much I really should be eating. But, I CAN depend on my brain to tell me that the can of Healthy Request soup in my desk drawer is better for my lunch than a fast food burger and fries (better for my wallet, too!).

By the end of 2008, I will be happy if I am a comfortable size 20 pants. I am currently a tight-ish 22, sometimes a 24. I don't know how many pounds I would have to lose to get there, but it's not an overly-aggressive goal, and it will show that I am really making progress. I'd be extatic for an 18, but I will certainly be happy with a 20. Wow, 18 sounds so small to me right now...of course, that would be an 18 plus, not a misses 18. I think the last time I fit into non-plus sizes was my freshman year of high school

Alright, I'm babbling now...the short of it is, my goals are to reach a size 20 pants and to habitually be making healthier lifestyle choices. They say it takes 28 days to start (or end) a habit, so by the end of January, maybe some things will start sticking with me (and some of my current bad habits will be slipping away!)
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 227/219.5/150

Height: 5'5

I posted this in the other thread but count me in!

I really feel like I don't require enough of myself. I spend allot of my life operating at 60-70% of my potential and the really surprising bit is that I accomplish quite a bit at this level. I've been cheating myself out of the kind of life I could have if I at least TRIED to operate at 100%. And this is the year I am going to do it.

I'm really excited to see what i can accomplish if I can go after my goals wholeheartedly!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #20  
weight watching

I think the "listen to my body" idea is a very good one, but it would never work for me. I listen to my wants. I'd like to get to the point of eating healthy naturally, but I think right now it would be a stretch. I'm swimming against the stream here, but this year I've decided to Go On a Diet (weight watchers). If I have rules, I'll follow them (in theory). Otherwise, I'm in freefall.

My main goal this year (aside from staying on program) is to WALK. I used to walk a lot, but for the past 10 years, I've hardly walked at all, and I've never been athletic. I'm sure that most of my 6 pound a year weight gain over the past decade is the lack of exercise. (She says, sitting at the computer, unable to leave until the UPS man comes.....)
Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #21  

I hope you all don't mind my popping in and joining you. I've spent the better part of the last 6 months being unhealthy, lazy, and regaining enough of almost 100 hundred pounds that I kept off for two years to wake up this morning and think to myself "WTF?!?" So, I'm off to hop on the scale and update my stats, finishing reading through this thread, and then get back to reaching my goal weight and health status!

Jilly, thanks for starting this thread...I have a feeling this will be just what I need to get back on track and STAY THERE!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #22  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Bloomer, I'm pretty sedentary too....desk job 8+hrs a day, plus more computer and TV at home.

My intent is to be active in some form every day, whether it's walking on my treadmill or outside, circuit training, yoga, workout DVDs, dance classes, etc.

I know how good exercise makes me feel...so it is a mystery to me why I don't do what feels good!!

I got a new Flip Video camera for Christmas, and I intend to document my journey that way. I haven't decided if I will share my video diary with the world yet.....will have to think on that some more....
Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #23  
Eating for two!

Jen--what is a Flip Video camera? Is it just a brand of video camera?

Mirth--I completely understand what you're saying. I am the same way; I have been doing "just enough" to accomplish what I need to accomplish. But if I bump it up to reach closer to my full potential, I can accomplish what I WANT to accomplish instead of just what I need to accomplish. And that can make a world of difference!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #24  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Jen--what is a Flip Video camera? Is it just a brand of video camera?
Cheick it out! http://www.theflip.com/

I love mine! I have the Ultra, with 60 minutes of video. I got a package that comes with a leather case and a tripod. It is so small I carry it everywhere!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #25  
butterfly

S/C/G: 240

Hi All

I hope you don't mind me joining you. I have lost 100 lbs twice in my life and it always finds me again and then some. I have not dieted since 1988 seriously. This time I want to eat healthy and exercise and finally look after myself. I have been a care giver to my family members for the past 25 years. Three of them have died in the past 3 months therefore I am having a hard time trying to decide what I need to fill that void.

So.... I guess it is finally time to look after myself. I need to get rid of the negativity in my life and am looking for some much needed motivation. I need to lose approximately 60 lbs and I am going to take 1 step at a time.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

I'd like to join you guys too! I can use all the support that's out there. I'm not on a diet either. I'm just being sensible and eating whole, clean foods. I feel healthier than I've ever felt and now I want to concentrate on getting more active. I have an ankle injury that will prevent me from doing some things, but I'm trying to find things that I can do. Something is better than nothing!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #27  
Eating for two!

Judy--wow, that is a lot to deal with I'm so sorry for your losses. And I know when feeling down, it can be difficult to remember that food doesn't ever really feel those emotional voids since it just ends up making us feel worse about ourselves in the long run. We're all here to listen anytime!

Jen--oh wow, that looks pretty cool. So small and convenient and no tapes or discs to have to deal with. I may have to ask for one for my birthday
Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #28  
Project Down-Sizing !!

Good Morning

Looks like we are off to a good start with the new thread. Lots of us seem to be following a similar plan.. make good food choices and get moving

Last night hubby and I went to the folks for dinner and then played WII for a couple of hours. So much fun and lots of laughter. Not sure what I will get up to today, at this point I have a headache - which I am none to happy about

Lisa - checked out your blog.. love it ! You have a great sense of humour, look forward to getting to know you.

Canoes - I too am among the "lost 100 lbs - gained it all back" group. Sorry to hear about your recent losses - we are here to support you and help you with all the steps you take !

Jen - love your outlook on this journey ! I do the desk job thing as well and recently starting hitting the gym. It definately does make me feel better, so now I gotta stick to it.

Lucky - welcome aboard ! Looks like you are in good company with this group - look forward to taking the journey with you

Bloomer - sounds like you have your plan all set out - good for you! I have done WW in the past and like everything parts of it I loved and other parts not so much. The important thing is that you know yourself and choose a plan to fit your forever lifestyle.

HoMirth - I hear ya girl !! Wouldn't it wonderful and think what we could accomplish if we gave it our all. This is our year

Jilly - Sounds like you have a set yourself an achievable goal..and ya get to go shopping at the end Look forward to helping you along the way !!

Midwife - "slips are not fatal to my effort" - so true - it is how we react to those slips and that is where I tend to fall down.

Karmuz - nothing wrong with not losing quickly - chances are you will keep it off !! Congrats on your progress to date and here's to losing more in 2008 (oooh I am a poet !!)

SDiane - 20 lbs in 20 weeks - we can help you get there and what a wonderful reward at the end

zorista - welcome aboard ! Looks like lots of us have similar goals.

Foodobsessed - we can do this ! Look forward to being part of your journey.

Soon2beslim - love the name and look forward to getting there as well !!

Slashnl - 40-50 pounds sounds very reasonable for a year - and hey you get an extra day to do it in

Phew.. I think I got everybody Wonder how many calories you burn by typing long posts Well I guess I should get a wiggle on and figure out what the day will bring. Hope you all have a good one and I will TTYS.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Is there a way to save the location of this thread so I don't lose you guys?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica View Post
Is there a way to save the location of this thread so I don't lose you guys?
I put this thread in my favorites.So when I click on it,only this thread comes up.
Closed Thread