Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'1

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to let you know I'm still here. Been very busy with work, house, kids, kids sports, and trying to keep time for myself. Will catch up with everyones posts later.

Have a great day!!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 238.8/230/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone, can I join you? I was on another thread, but it was quite slow and it felt like I was the only one there. I need more support than that!

I haven't read the entire thread, but went back a couple of pages and you all seem like a great bunch of motivators.

Hope to get to know you all better.

Bev
Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #138  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome, newstart33!

I'm doing pretty horribly food-wise. It's the eating out that keeps getting me. I have been better about taking home leftovers and such so I don't completely stuff myself, but I still am not making healthy choices, and we still end up getting dessert sometimes (last night was ColdStone ice cream).

I told Jeff I'm starting South Beach next week, either Sunday or Monday (depending on when I get a chance to go grocery shopping next). I asked him if he was going to do it with me (he doesn't need to lose much weight, but eating healthier is good for anybody), and he said he'll eat whatever I make. He's such a good boy

I did South Beach once in the past and had a bit of success with it, so hopefully I can do it again. The first 2 weeks are the toughest, but I eat a pretty high protein diet anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad to just cut out the carbs for a short period. At least I get to add fruit back in in Phase 2 (after the first 2 weeks). I'll have to borrow the book from the library this weekend to refresh myself on the specifics of Phase 1.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #139  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Bev!

Slim, get back here when you can!!

Jill: Good luck with South Beach! I know several folks that have been successful on it. And since you are already used to high protein, it shouldnt be too bad! How does a day on South Beach end up calorie wise?

Eating out is a pitfall of mine too.....it's a trap, that's for sure! Although I feel successful in one instance. We went to Applebees and I got the 3 course thing where you get a starter, entree and dessert. I chose the ceaser salad as a starter (pretty small, about half the size of the dinner salad), entree of 9 oz sirloin, onion rings and mac and cheese (I ended up not eating either side item because they were gross and only 1/2 the steak) and then a chocolate mousse "shooter", a small dessert. I think I did pretty well! It's not ALWAYS that successful though...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't kept up. I started physical therapy this week and I was cleared to start swimming for exercise! I've been nursing this ankle injury for the better part of 3 months now and I'm so ready to get my life back! As of last week, I am out of my walking cast and now just wearing an elastic brace. Woohoo. I'm still a bit nervous, but at least I can drive again!

Anyway, I joined a deep water aerobics class and today was my first class. OMG....I LOVED it!!! I am a total spaz, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. What a work out....I didn't realize how out of shape I am. I mean I KNOW I'm out of shape...but geez....I was huffing and puffing! I also signed up to get some personal swimming lessons. I'm a good swimmer, but I want to learn to swim like the people who swim the lanes. You know, the technique and all. Seems like the pool is where I'll be getting most of my exercise for the next few months, so it's lucky I love the water.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #141  
Gotta make it happen...

S/C/G: 289/273/246

Height: 5'8

Hellooooooooo everyone! Just checking in with you guys. I have been super busy this week and haven't been online that much.

Not really sure what to say about my eating.. In a word - inconsistent. Some days I'm totally OP and others I'm way off plan. Yesterday I chose Subway with no cheese and apples for a side but today I had cherry cobbler with lunch and overate for dinner. I'm trying not to get down on myself, but I really feel like a self-saboteur. Ah well... tomorrow is another day...

Glad to see that everyone is doing well and still hanging in there!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #142  

Thanks for the welcomes.

Missing, good for you for signing up for a water aerobics class. Sounds like fun. It's great that you can still get some exercise even with a bad ankle.

Jilly, good luck with the South Beach diet. I need to revamp my plan as well. I have been doing great so far and today I ate when I wasn't really hungry and had some sweets to top it off. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

As for today, I have not exercised. Yesterday I did an aerobics video and I am so sore today that I can't hardly go down stairs. I had intentions of doing it again today, but didn't and now it is late. I feel terrible that I have eaten bad, plus didn't exercise.

Tomorrow is supposed to be weigh in day, but am going to hold out until monday when my Mom phones (we weigh in together, but I started a few days before her)

Night everyone, have a great day tomorrow.

Bev
Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #143  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
How does a day on South Beach end up calorie wise?
I will let you know! I'll be tracking my intake not only for carbs, but also for calories, and I know when eating so many things like meat and cheese, I'll also have to watch my sodium (I'm sure it will be high--I'll try to get some potassium and lots of water as well). I"m still going to avoid trans fats as much as humanly possible, but I'm sure my saturated fat intake will increase a bit despite my use of lean meats and turkey products to substitute for red meat. I'll just track EVERYTHING, and we'll see how it comes out. I think Phase 1 (the first 2 weeks of practically no carbs) will be the worst for me nutritionally, but once I can start adding healthy carbs back in in Phase 2, hopefully things will level out a bit.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #144  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Hi everyone. I'm back. It's been about a week since I've been able to post anything because my computer here at home was down. Then, at work, they're starting to monitor email usage and websites that are accessed during the day, so I couldn't really get on from work either. While I understand that they need to do this because there are some big time abusers of the system, it really affects the ones that don't abuse the system, get their work done, and use their breaks to check websites. Oh well. That's the way it goes. I guess I'll start taking breaks and chit chat with fellow workers. Isn't that beneficial......

I have been terrible this week. I was way out of control with food and haven't been able to get any exercise because of the snow storms. I can do a little bit inside, but it isn't like walking outside. So, since I have a few personal days that I need to take before the end of February, I took off today to get my head on straight. I need to regroup a little bit, make some plans, and get back on track. I have some other things to do today, too, but mainly this is a mental health day for me.

Good luck to everyone else today!!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #145  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
...Then, at work, they're starting to monitor email usage and websites that are accessed during the day, so I couldn't really get on from work either. While I understand that they need to do this because there are some big time abusers of the system, it really affects the ones that don't abuse the system, get their work done, and use their breaks to check websites.
They've been doing this at my office, too. But on a day of frustration, I decided I didn't care, that if they wanted to fire me (a hard-working, never late, intelligent, mature employee) for using a non-work-related website for a few minutes a day, then that's their problem No one has said anything to me about it yet, and they started tracking internet usage back in like May or June. They've also completely blocked access to some sites, and not just "inappropriate" sites, but also things like MySpace. I guess that's how we know if we're on a site too much--it suddenly gets blocked
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #146  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

They'be blocked MySpace and YouTube at my company too...which is fine since I don't have a MySpace account (am I the only one in the world that doesn't??) and I watch YouTube stuff at home.

I finally went grocery shopping last night. I realize though that I didnt get everything I needed, so I will have to go back again...ah well....

I haven't been bringing my lunch to work for a long time now, and I think I will start doing that again. That way both my banks (my calorie bank and my money bank!) will both benefit. That's going to take some planning on my part, but I will have time to do that this weekend!

Have a great day/weekend!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #147  

Jen, good idea about bringing your lunch to work with you. It is way too easy to slip if you eat out. I know that I can only make healthy decisions a couple of times before I blow it and have some fries or something.

Jilly, I am not even allowed to use my computer at work for anything other than checking email and checking the intranet. I don't mind because I am so busy that I don't usually have time to miss it. Of course I don't work everyday so that helps.

Diane, nice that you took the day off just for you. Time to regroup and find a plan. Have a great day.

As for me, I am waiting for my husband to go to work so I can do my aerobics video, because let's face, nobody needs to see me do that. Good workout though.

Good luck today everyone.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'1

Hi everyone,

Welcome Bev.

Good luck with south beach Jill. I've never tried that plan.

Diane: sometimes all we need is some time to ourselves to regroup and take control again. I'm sure next week will be a better one.

I had a good week. I was able to get to curves every night and I got up monday, wednesday, and today early to hop on the treadmill for 1/2 hr. Today was hard to get up early, but I did it!! I ate well for the most part too.
I will weigh in on Monday am.

Hope you all have a good weekend. I will try to pop in before monday.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #149  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Hi everyone. Well I think I got it back together yesterday. It was nice to check out for the day and regroup a little. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'm well rested after yesterday!

Jill, good luck with SB. I've heard that it works really well for a lot of people.

Newstart: I wouldn't exercise in front of anyone either. Then I pay more attention to them watching rather than what I'm doing! Hard to focus!

Jen: You are not alone. I don't have a myspace and I haven't let my kids get into that yet either. I don't understand it well enough to use it!

Soon2be: Good for you! Keep up the good work and you'll have a great weigh in!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #150  
Eating for two!

Happy Saturday, all! I'm battling a bit of a headache today--not sure why, as I got plenty of sleep last night and haven't done anything differently that I can think of. Just one of those PITA headaches that will hopefully decide to go away soon.

Today is cleaning day in our house--Jeff's father and girlfriend (who is the same age as me and Jeff) and their 2-year-old baby girl are coming to visit on Monday, so we're cleaning today. I've cleaned the whole kitchen/dining area (it's a long eat-in kitchen with an island) and pooper-scooped the front yard. Jeff's been working on cleaning the basement (entertainment room and office area). We'll tackle the living room and bedroom together, and then we should be good to go. We're pretty good at keeping our bathrooms clean, so they'll only require a quick swirl of a toilet brush and should be done. How 2 adults (and 2 puupies) can clutter up a house so quickly, I'll never know...

Of course, cleaning always just gets my mind thinking about all the things I'd like to do to this place. I'd like to refinish the kitchen cabinets, get new countertops, get an area rug for under the dining table, paint the walls in the kitchen, living room, bathrooms, and bedrooms (everything is just beige right now), fix the broken curtain rod in the living room, hang curtains in the bedrooms, get a sliding screen door for the doors out to the deck, refinish the end tables in the living room, paint and slipcover the glider chair, get a storm door for the front door...

Hopefully, by actually sticking to my new way of eating, we'll be eating out MUCH less frequently, which will save us a lot of money to do all these other things I want to do. I figure we average about $30 a day eating out (sometimes less than 20 bucks at Subway, sometimes closer to $50 at the steakhouse), and we do that at least 5 times a week You do the math--we should be able to afford new countertops in no time
Closed Thread