Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #61  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Great job, losers!

I did a Group Ride class this morning, and then 30 minutes on the elliptical. I was on plan yesterday and I am on track today. My weight is even down a smidge, but I don't want to jinx it by saying the number.

foucault, I started out working out at home and I really like the Firm videos. Then I found out that my husband's company offered a free gym membership and I have been hooked ever since. I was a bit apprehensive about it, but now I don't think I could live without it. I do a class just about every day and when I don't feel like doing the group thing there is endless variety in weight and cardio machines. It's not a "young" gym where people are there looking to hook up. I have made lots of friends there and my kids love going to the childcare room, too.

mtiger - I just want to fit into my jeans without suffocating! Then I'll go from there. LOL

Have a great week-end everyone!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #62  

Hello,

Well, I had a small binge this morning. I'm not feeling good, it's cold, I comforted myself and for what? Now my mental state feels bad too. BUT, in the past I would have thrown in the towel for today. Well, I told myself to get to the board and get myself motivated again by reading the posts and posting the truth about my short fall.

I'm back on my feet. I can't undo what I did, just go on and NOT do it again. I decided to get into some comfy sweats, took some asprain and let the housework go. If I don't feel good it can all wait. My head is pounding!

I did write my binge down..that is when I decided to stop. You know, I"m a perfectionist and it bothers me to mess up and have it show. How in the world do I get beyond that?

Lillybell: Welcome to our forum. It's going to be great losing with you!
Wardhog: I like your comment about your jeans...I feel the same!
Mtiger: Did you make it to the mall and avoid those pretzels? I bet you did!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'5"

Teaelaf - Congrats on the weight loss! Under 180 is fantastic! I hope you're able to burn through those 170's as quickly as you'd like.

mtiger - I never thought of walking about the mall during cold weather, but that's a great idea. I have a couple pairs of pants in my closet that absolutely do not fit me. One of them is so tight that I feel like I'm squeezing myself in half. The other pair won't even zip up (a size 16). I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be able to wear the 16 without sucking my stomach in. Right now I'm wearing a 18/20. The exact size depends on the pair of pants.

WardHog - I'm really considering going to the gym. There are two very close to my apartment. One is the hip, popular place, and the people I've spoken to who have gone there say it is filled with 20-somethings looking for dates. However, Presbyterian Healthcare has a healthplex almost a mile from my doorstep. They have a gym there and offer daily classes. There is a monthly fee, no contracts. I'm really considering that one once I get myself a bit more conditioned.

lilybell - Welcome! Glad to have you!

Susie - Don't feel too bad about the binge. It happens. I've done it before, and I'm sure I'll do it again. The trick is to get right back up afterward and go back to your plan of healthy eating. I found some salted cashews in the pantry last night. Before I knew what had happened, I had a handful of them stuffed in my mouth. Then another handful. Yikes! I stopped myself, estimated what I ate at about a serving, and recorded the calories and fat grams in my food diary. It tipped me a little high on the fat grams for the day, but that's okay.

Things are still going well for me. I've resisted the scales to take a peek. The weather was nice today, so I asked my boyfriend if he wanted to take our dog on a walk. He was going to come with me, but he doesn't like to walk for more than a mile. He weighs 40 pounds less than me, and he can't walk more than a mile. I told him that if he wasn't going to walk for at least two, then he should just stay home. So, he stayed, and I went with the dog. I walked a little over two miles. Then I stopped by the farmer's market and bought a load of veggies and fruits. Just before dinner, I talked the boyfriend into walking another mile with me at the park.

Last edited by foucault; 01-05-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #64  
go on girl!

I know what you mean about resisting the scale foucault. I have decided weigh in every eight weeks instead of weekly. Its day day five and the temptation to peek is strong. And I wouldn't feel bad about the binge susie, you remained aware and altered your behavior instead of just saying the heck with it all. Proud a you.

My calories are up today. I just discovered yesterday how important planning my whole day of food, and having it readily available ,will be a required practice for me. I had a terrible lunch yesterday and I went over my desired calorie intake today. I also made a couple of food choices I don't think I would have had I planned sooner.

Well, the day was still a good one. I wish everyone a delightful tomorrow!

Last edited by bumble; 01-05-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #65  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink Good Morning!!

Hi everyone. So I did go to the mall yesterday and walked for a good twenty minutes. Not long, but enough to work up a bit of sweat. Then I walked the mall again as I shopped. Bought myself a gift, a sport's bra. Boy did I need that. I am amazed with myself. I did not buy any food except a Diet Pepsi. I am so proud of myself, I even walked right past some people eating pretzels and I knew I wanted one, but it was not worth it. I even did a little workout at the sporting goods store. I tested out the elliptical's which usually hurt my knee. I didn't feel too bad. Also tried their hand weights.

Then I went to Target and bought myself some new hand weights. My current weights are 3 pds. and I jumped up to 5 pds. God do they seem heavy. I'm not ready to use them yet, I think I'll give myself at lest another week with the 3 pounders.

Keep strong and on track. Good luck everyone!!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #66  
Maintainer Wannabe

Great job, mtiger! You, too, foucault for getting your boyfriend moving with you.

lilybell, I read somewhere that nutrition is 70% and exercise is 30% of the equation for losing weight. Good for you for staying on your eating plan.

I did a split workout today, 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. I had to work around my husband's football watching schedule. It felt good anyway.

I stayed on my eating plan yesterday and I am on track for today. I made a huge pot of vegetable soup so I am set for the coming week.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #67  

lilybell - I fell into the oops-I-blew-it-might-as-well-give-up trap before. I lost about 20 pounds in the fall of 2006. I decided to maintain the weight loss for the winter because I didn't think I'd be able to work out when it was cold outside (I love to walk). Unfortunately, because I wasn't working out, I started eating naughty things here and there. When spring 2007 rolled around, I was so lazy and spoiled from not working out that winter that I didn't want to walk even if the weather was nice. So, I continued with what I was doing - eating what I wanted and being lazy. Amazingly, I was able to pretty much maintain my weight during 2007, but I didn't lose a single pound during that year. I figured I should get my butt back on track this year. I promised myself once I hit 160, I could get a tattoo that I've been wanting for a very long time, and that's a big incentive for me.

mtiger - Glad you had a great time at the mall. I admire your will power of steel. ;-) I always find I get motivated to exercise when I buy things that will help me with it. The sports bra and weights were excellent choices to reward yourself and keep yourself on track.

WardHog - I made vegetable soup today, too! It was more than I had planned and will probably feed me lunch for two full weeks as long as I freeze half of it. Glad you were able to get your daily workout in even if you had to split it up to work around the football schedule. :-)

Today was a good day. But, I must confess - I peeked at the scales this morning. I couldn't resist! They were calling my name. However, it motivated me to get up and go for a walk because I was down to 228. Yay!!! I'm weird. Weight loss makes me want to work out more. I'm going to wait until Thursday to log my weight and change my ticker, though. My birthday is at the end of May, and I hope to be down to (or close to) 200 by then.

Last edited by foucault; 01-06-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 235/171/150

I'm so glad to hear everyone successes! I hope to have some to report soon. I have realized that I really enjoy reading what everyone has to say, but I haven't been much for posting anything myself. I guess I need to learn to accept support from others. So, since I haven't said much so far, here goes... Mtiger and I are losing weight together. You can all see that she is a workout fiend!! I'll definitely need her to keep me going, because I tend to put off what can be done today and make excuses for why I'm not doing what I need to do. My goal this week is to get started by walking after school every day (school teacher) so I can build some stamina and not die after 5 minutes of working out. I know if I start slow and add a little more each day I will have greater success and not give up. I have also read the Biggest Loser Fitness book, so I feel like I needed to organize my brain to know exactly what to do to get this weight off. Does anyone have great ideas about what to do with small children while you're trying to work out at home? Mine try to climb on the treadmill with me and obviously I don't want them to get hurt.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #69  

Kelly - I love reading about everyone's success, too. It motivates me to work harder. I even enjoy reading about tough times because it makes me realize I'm not alone in the struggle to lose weight. I hope you enjoy your walks. Walking is my exercise of choice. When I can consistently do it in the spring and summer, it energizes me. I started out walking 3/4 of a mile. Within three weeks, I was walking two miles at a time. Within another three weeks, I was walking three and a half miles. It's great exercise and it builds up your stamina like crazy. Don't worry about the speed at first - just concentrate on enjoying yourself and slowly building up to longer walks.

lilybell - 25 down! That's fantastic! I hope to hit my 25 mark when I weigh in next. I've got my fingers and toes crossed. I don't know how old your kids are, but my mother was a big Richard Simmons addict when he first came out on the scene. She would do his exercise tapes and invite us to do them with her. I was probably about 8 or 9 and my brothers were 5 or 6. We were completely uncoordinated, but we loved "dancing to the oldies" with her. If your kids are old enough to goof around and try to do the tapes with you, then ask them if they want to.

Right now, I'm such a kickboxing fiend. I love the kickboxing videos. They really get me pumped and make me feel like I'm accomplishing something. I can let out my aggression and stress with punches and kicks. There is a wonderful series of DVDs called 10 Minute Solutions that I've been using. I can't speak for all of them, but the ones I have get my heart rate up very quickly in a very short workout. The sessions are 10 minutes long (with a short warm up and cool down), but there are 5 sessions on a DVD, and you can string them together in any order or combination you'd like. I usually do two before I lift weights on my strength training days. So, if you are pressed for time and want to fit in a really effective work-out, try those DVDs.

Friday was a stressful day at work, but I managed not to binge. My boss keeps snacks for everyone in her office. Chips, cookies, candy bars, chocolate, all the bad stuff I shouldn't be eating. Sometimes it's difficult not to walk in there and grab a Snickers when I'm having a bad day. However, this time I avoided the trap. I always feel good when I'm able to say no to a craving or to emotional eating.

Oh, and I have a question for everyone. Is there a certain day or days of the week that you find you consistently weigh less (or more)? I've found that I tend to weigh less on Sunday-Tuesday and more the remainder of the week. I can't figure out if this is caused by some quirk in my diet or what. I might move my weigh-in day to one of the lighter days just to make myself feel happier.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #70  
Maintainer Wannabe

lilybell, Congratulations on the 25 lb loss! Awesome job!

foucault, I love kickboxing! It is so much fun and you can really get your aggressions out.

I did a Group Power class this morning, plus a 15 min walk on the treadmill to warm up and 30 min on the elliptical afterwards. I stayed on my eating plan yesterday and I am on track today. I have been weighing myself every day (bad, I know) and I was down to 159 this morning. That's down 2.4 pounds this week. It makes me very motivated to keep going.

Kelly, I am a SAHM so I go to the gym every morning. If the kids aren't in school they come with me. Before the gym membership I got up early (5:45) every day and worked out before the kids got up. It kind of sucked but it was the only way I could make sure to get it in. I hope you can find something that works for you.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #71  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink Checking in today

Ok Wardhog!! Kelly says I work out a lot, but look at you go. Somedays you work out for 2 hours? Couple of ??? What is a group ride class and what is SAHM? You go for it, you will probably be the buffest chick at the gym. Also, don't feel so bad about getting on the scale everyday, I do the same thing. We just need to remember not to get disappointed when it doesn't move everyday.

Kudos to Kelly. Today after school we did a 10 min. warm up, 15 min. walk and then about 10 min. cooldown. You did it girl, great job. Now I am going to sneak in a little bit extra tonight. Not quite sure what it will be yet, but something. So today was the first day back to school and I ate more during the day. I am still only at 1320, but I got there quite quickly.

Foucault- It's great you enjoy walking that much. I walked alot in the spring, unfortunately I didn't lose much weight. Glad it works for you.

Lilybell- great job on the 25 pounds. Can't wait till I can say the same.

Great work everyone. Keep it up!!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 235/171/150

I did so well all day...then dinner came. I had everything measured out and calorie counted, then starvation came on and I had a second helping of spaghetti (wheat, not white pasta). I only went over my calorie goal by 175 calories today, but I really wish I would have resisted more. Tomorrow my willpower will be better. Mindy, I believe SAHM is Stay at Home Mom.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #73  
go on girl!

I went over on calories today too kelly. I'm not too discouraged by it though. They were clean calories (as in not fatty sugar junk food calories) from healthy foods. I am finding that I get so hungry when its a meal time, I am so focused on eating I don't take the time to enjoy the food. I'll have to work on that.

Hope everyone is feeling good.

Last edited by bumble; 01-08-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #74  

WardHog - 2.4! That's awesome! All those classes at the gym must be paying off. You motivate me to want to join a gym even though I'm terribly afraid of them.

mtiger - Glad to hear that you were able to fit a walk into your schedule today. I'm sure it's hard to get much else done during the school day when you're keeping track of the kids. What grade or subject do you teach? I always thought it would be fun to teach, but I don't think I have the patience for it. ;-)

Kelly & bumble - Don't worry too much over the calories, especially since they were from healthy foods. I've read a bit about calorie cycling, but I've never tried it myself. Basically, you change up your daily calorie intake to keep your body guessing so it doesn't plateau at a certain weight. If you should be around 1600 calories, some days you eat 1400 and others you eat 1800 while some you stick to the 1600. I usually don't worry too much about exactly how many calories I eat. I try to keep it between 1500 and 1800. Usually, I'm right between 1600 and 1700. Except for the night that I have pizza, and then I'm edging up into the 1800 range. ;-)

So, I think I may change my weigh-in day. When I lost the first 20 pounds, I was weighing in on Tuesdays. When I started at the beginning of the year, I started on a Thursday, so I weighed on Thursday. I like Tuesdays better, especially since I stepped on the scale this morning and saw I was down three pounds from last week. !!!!!! I was so happy, I had to come into work and change my tickers to reflect that. Oh, and I did a Snoopy dance in my bathroom while I was brushing my teeth. :-) I've been drinking loads of water and taking a whole body cleansing kit, so that might be helping me a bit, too.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #75  
Maintainer Wannabe

Good job kelly and mtiger - keep on walking!

foucault - three pounds!!! woo-hoo! I was really nervous about joining the gym at first, but everyone there is so nice and supportive. I really love it. I have been in a really good exercise groove for a while but I tend to sabotage myself with bad eating (compulsive eating and bingeing - yuck). I want to change that permanently.

Today I did an 11 min mile warm-up, then a Group Ride class, then 30 min on the elliptical. Group Ride is a cycling class, kind of like spin, where you ride the rhythm of the music and adjust the resistance accordingly. It's an awesome cardio workout. Eating was on plan yesterday and I am on track today.

I think we all had a great first week - let's keep it up!
Closed Thread