Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #48

Good Afternoon/Evening Flowers! I am taking a break and fear I won't have much energy left when I do get up. Having card club at Christmas time is the pits imo! Tomorrow I will go to church, finish decorating, make the casserole, clean the veggies, get out the dishes, and mop the kitchen floor. What isn't done after that isn't going to get done!

"Gma" -- I hope your shoulder is feeling better. I hate it when I sleep wrong and something hurts. I know you will enjoy the recital. I thought I heard on the weather channel where Indiana was getting the snow (ice?) today. I hope you have good weather for your travels.

I have the last load of laundry going so need to put it in the dryer. Have a nice evening and a special Sunday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-15-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! It is freezing here this morning, somewhere in the 30's but will warm up into the 40's today. We still have Walmart shopping to do as we went to lunch after the recital and I was too pooped to go shopping with the crowds. The traffic with heavy rain was a total nightmare and of course people are rude and nuts here.

Thomas did wonderful with his recital. He was the only student in his group that played 2 instruments. His piano teacher was there but his violin teacher had some graduation she had to play at and wasn't. He got up to play his violin (Deck the Halls) and it was all creechy. I thought he was just not playing well, but he stopped, walked over to a teacher and said something to her. She said she didn't know how, but thank goodness the owner of the school could tune his violin and did then he went back and played it perfectly. He then went to the piano and played Jingle Bells and he did both without music. He never gets nervous or flustered, just does his thing. He is one of those kids who really has talent not just pushed into lessons by a parent or something. There was a young teen who played last in Thomas's group and did a classical piece and boy was he terrific. They are using their own facilities now and only have seating for a small group so they break the recital up into 5 one hour sessions. That was great since instead of sitting and listening to 50 kids, we only listened to 19. I still had a sore back from the folding chairs, but at least I could stay seated.

Jean: Don't work too hard for card club. You need to be able to sit and enjoy this time. When do you get out of school? Thomas's last day is Thursday. He gets 2 weeks and 3 days off school.

I finished the rat scarf and tried putting on a nose, but it just didn't do right so I took it off. I think they look kind of creepy with those red eyes. I hope Thomas enjoys the joke, but I imagine he will.

Well, I need to put away dishes and reload the couple of dishes in the sink from last night. Have a good day today!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:15 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #3  

Just a quick "good night" before I head to bed. I've been cooking and cleaning all day and I am tired! I know one thing and that is I won't have card club in December again! Or at least not serve a meal!

"Gma" -- We get out on Friday, an hour early. Whoopeeee! Actually, that is a make-up day for final exams so hopefully we won't have any students to contend with unless they are still working on late assignments. The scarf turned out cute! You should be proud! I wonder why every once in awhile a word will be double underlined? Parent shows up as green print and underlined twice for me.

Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow. I am going to bed!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. I think Fortune is miffed with us. He has gained weight so I put him back on dry dog food and I don't think he wants to be. It is better dog food and since we have the tummy thing all fixed now, he needs to be on dry. He'll get used to it sooner or later. He just gave me a look when I came downstairs this morning and plopped his food bowl down with dry in it like, "What's this junk?"

Lots to do this week. The kids are coming over here on Thursday night for T's Christmas so my house has to be all be cleaned, I have some cookies and fudge I am making to take to Indiana for Christmas Eve, and I have all T's presents to still wrap. That doesn't count the stuff I have still get that Walmart didn't have like more latex gloves and gauze and Jack's aftershave they don't carry anymore. I will get the stuff at Walgreens and pay the exhorbitant prices I guess. I also need to get the car washed and vacuumed out so it is halfways decent to go up there. It is filthy as I am usually the one that takes it to the carwash.

I did get my haircut yesterday and the girl did a great job. Jack went to get his cut and I wasn't going to except I hated what the last girl did so much and it looked so bad. The lady that did my hair got a nice earful about the other stylist and she knew exactly who I was talking about and said she never listens to anyone just does what she wants. That she was sorry and if I ever have problems again to come in and if my hair is too short to fix, they will give me a coupon for a free cut the next time. I told her I was just too sick to come back and have anyone fix it last time. She knew exactly what I wanted and did a great cut even changing the back a bit to make it look even better. She said I have perfect hair to cut and it lies so well that it is easy to give a good haircut to if you do what you are supposed to.

Jean: I am sorry you wore yourself out with this card club business. I know you are looking forward to be away from school for a bit. I saw that you posted past 11 pm so I know you have to be pretty tired this morning to get up and go to work. Jay and Alicia got slammed with snow. My sister called yesterday and says there is at least a foot and she said her huge and I mean huge lab went out to go to the bathroom and couldn't lift his leg because the snow was up past his belly. They were expecting more yesterday. I looked at the weather channel site and checked cities in MO and IL and there is no snow clear up to Kankakee, IL so it is pretty much just Chicago area and east where there seems to be snow. Hopefully they will at least have roads cleared etc with no more snow and no ice. My sister said they are supposed to have day temps close to 40 on Thursday but without wind to dry up the streets and sidewalks the stuff will freeze overnight making stuff slick. Ahh, well, everything will come out ok. Oh and the underlined green words is one of the ways they are getting advertisement $$$. It you hover over the word you will see it shows a subject topic in a box, but in the top left corner on the box it says advertisement. It is a none pop up way of advertising.

I need to go as I have so much to do today I need to get started on my little chores and get them finished.

Have a good start to your week!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 12-17-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! I feel deserted today! lol Susan, you didn't go to Jean's card club last night and not have time to post, did you?

Jean: I hope you weren't too warn out being hostess, playing cards and cleaning up. I imagine that is what happened to you yesterday.

Susan: I thought the poem at the bottom might tickle your fancy. I saw it on the knitting website I belong to.

I finished the upstairs and will be dragging Jackson's gifts downstairs and starting to stack up stuff we want to pack in the car. I am going to start my packing and get as much finished as I can since it will be late to pack the car Thursday after the kids are here. I do hope the weather is decent to drive in and walk in. I don't mind all the snow as long as the roads aren't slippery nor the sidewalks. My worry is mostly the driving overnight where you can't see the ice patches if there are any. Hopefully, they will have roads cleared pretty much with no more precipitation for us to travel on. We go home during the day on Christmas so no worries too much there.

Everyone have a good Tuesday and stay warm!
Faye

Knitter's Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas and all around me
There was unfinished knitting not under the tree,
The stockings weren't hung by the chimney with care
'Cause the heels and the toes had not a stitch there.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
But I had not finished the caps for their heads.
Dad was asleep---he was no help at all.
And the sweater for him was 6" too small.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I put down my needles to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash.
Tripped over my yarn and fell down in my stash.
The tangle of yarn that lay deep as the snow
Reminded me how far I still had to go.

When out on the lawn I heard such a noise,
I was sure it would wake up both Dad and the boys.
And although I was tired--my brain a bit thick,
I knew in a moment that it must be St Nick.

Yet what I heard left me very perplex-ed
For nothing I heard was what I expect-ed.
"Move Rowan! Move Patons! Move Koigu and Clover!
Move Shelridge! Move Starmore! Move Spinrite!
Move over!

Lopi, don't circle around, just stand there in line.
Pay attention you sheep and you'll work out just fine!
I know this is hard as it's just your first year
But I'd hate to go back to 8 tiny reindeer."

I peered over the sill. What I saw was amazing:
Eight wooly sheep on my lawn all a-grazing!
And then in a twinkle, I heard at the door
Santa's big boots stomping on the porch floor.

I rose from my knees and got back on my feet.
As I turned around, St Nick I did meet.
He was dressed all in wool from his heat to his toe
And his clothes were hand knit from above to below.

A bright Fair Isle sweater he wore on his back.
And his toys were all stuffed in an Aran knit sack.
His hat was a wonder of bobbles and lace
A beautiful frame for his rosey red face.

The scarf on his neck could have stretched for a mile,
And the socks peeking over his boots were Argyle.
On the back of his mitts was an intricate cable.
And suddenly on one I spotted a small label:

"S.C." in duplicate on the cuff.
So I asked, "Hey, Nick, did YOU knit all this stuff?"
He proudly replied, "Ho, ho, ho, yes I did.
I learned how to knit when I was just a kid."

He was chubby and plump, a well dressed old man,
And I laughed to myself, for I'd thought up a plan.
I flashed him a grin and jumped up in the air,
And the next thing he knew, he was tied to a chair.

He spoke not a word, but looked down in his lap
Where I had laid my needles and yarn for a cap.
He began then to knit, first one cap then 2--
For the first time I thought I might really get through.

He put heels in the stockings and toes in some socks,
While I sat back drinking a scotch on the rocks.
Quickly like magic his needles they flew,
Good Grief! He was finished by two!

He sprang for his sleigh when I let him go free,
And over his shoulder he looked back at me.
I heard him explain as he sailed past the moon,
"Next year, start your knitting sometime around JUNE!"
Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #6  

Faye, loved the poem! The scarf is really cute - he's bound to like it. I HATE rodents so I couldn't even put it around my neck.

Jean, I know you are counting the hours until school is out!

I'm freezing (sorry, Jean, I know you think I'm nuts). There was ice on the creek this morning - 33 degrees now and that is about as cold as it gets in the winter.

I'm off work from December 21 until January 2 - I really need it!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had a cat nap, with the cat on my lap, and now I'm heading for bed! I am ready for Friday to be here! For some reason I feel like I am more behind than ever. We have a retirement party on Friday night and a wedding in another town on Saturday night. The weather sounds "iffy" -- I really wouldn't mind not going to either one.

When I talked to my "mom" tonight, she said she had just talked to my AZ sister, Julie, and she has a 4 x 6 (not sure if inches, cm, m, or what) mass on her liver. She meets with the surgeon on Thursday so say a little prayer for her. Julie was just here for two weeks helping her mom after her shoulder surgery. My "mom" also said that she had a phone call from Ryan's mom . . . it is pretty much certain that he will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. He has enough movement in one hand to work the controls, so can get himself from one place to another.

"Gma" -- Did you happen to see on some TV news program that 70% of WM's merchandise now from China? I was under the impression when WM first started that it boasted it's merchandise as being made in America! Card club was a success I guess -- too much food and I had lousy cards as usual. I'm just glad it is over! Bob wanted to know if anyone did a white glove test or noticed the sparkling shelves in the curio cabinet. Men! I'm glad you got a good haircut so you will look "spiffy" for your IN Christmas.

Susan -- It's 9 degrees right now . . . want to trade?

I need to figure out what I'm wearing tomorrow and head for bed. I'm yawning as I sit here.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-18-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! It is in the 50's this morning and that is about as warm as it is going to get, but I will take it. I just checked the IL and IN road conditions and everything is dry. They aren't expecting precipitation until Sunday so that is good. It says snow flurries so that shouldn't be too bad.

Jean: Glad card club was a success. I know you have to be beat from it. It is too bad they couldn't make more progress with Ryan, but thank goodness he lived through it so many don't. What a sad way for a young man to spend the rest of his life, though especially with their home situation being what it is. Will definitely pray for Julie. Let us know what you hear about her. I haven't gotten a response from jcp on email about the rocker so I sent all the information to the vice president of internet sales. I know that unless I send it back, they won't refund my money, but I think they should pull the toys from their internet site so other parents and grandparents don't get what we did. On top of that, I want an apology.

Susan: I got a kick out of the poem. Glad you like ole "Ratty." He creeps me out so he should be a riot for Thomas. I had more than one woman say they couldn't put the thing around their neck and my son said they looked creepy with those red eyes. Have a lovely time off. We leave Friday afternoon and I am excited and anxious. First time going on a trip since my surgery. I am not worried though. We are going well prepared. I am making good progress on the sweater now and really enjoy the knit picks option set Kelly bought me for my birthday. The needles are nickel and glide so nicely with nice sharp points on the needles.

Today I finish up the cookies I am going to take and wrap T's presents. I have to go to the cleaners and pick up a shirt and top I want to take to Indiana this afternoon after Jack gets home and I am going to pack tonight and load as much as we can tonight since Thomas will be here tomorrow evening. I have three lists going right now, but I have a lot of things gathered together to get ready to pack in the car this evening so they will be crossed off.

Everyone have a great Wednesday. I am going to haul the trash out to the corner of the garage for pick up. I stopped the mail starting today so we shall see if they do it. I always have to give them a running start because they invariably screw it up! This time, I have the customer service manager's name and phone number to call if the don't stop it along with the request that a copy of the hold be sent to her so she makes sure it is done.

Faye
Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! A balmy 43 degrees right now.

Jean, if Walmart only sold products made in the US their store would fit in one the size of a convenience store. A great book is "The Earth is Flat: A Short History of the 21st Century." There is a whole chapter devoted to Walmart. But it explains the transition from manufacturer to service society that we are going through and the whole process of farming out overseas, etc. It was really fascinating.

Faye, I know you are getting excited to be on the way to that darling baby. I hope the weather cooperates fully and you bag works properly and you have a great trip.

Took Stan to the surgeon yesterday. Everything is good now so the surgery will be at 8:30 am on December 27. I just hope this works for a few years.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! We made a flying trip to Sioux City after school today. Our first stop was SAM's which wasn't too bad. I had a list and we got out in record time. Next stop was the mall; Bob let me out at one end and picked me up at the other end. I power shopped with my list! Next stop was Target -- either their toy supply is low, they've pulled "made in China" stuff off the shelves, or people have been buying like mad because they didn't have much selection at all. I didn't find what I wanted there so made a stop at KMart. They must not care about the "made in China" because they had toys galore. The problem there was that no one had straightened the shelves and stuff was scattered around the whole toy area. Didn't find what I wanted but did find something that might work for Kolby. Next year I SWEAR I am starting in September . . please remind me!

"Gma" -- You have been a busy gal getting ready for T's Christmas and your trip to IN. We are supposed to get snow Friday night and Saturday. We have a retirement party here in town Friday night so that won't be a problem. The wedding Saturday night is an hour away so that could prove to be a bit tricky if there is ice involved. The weatherman didn't say anything about ice, just snow but not how much either. I know you are excited about your trip. Have a wonderful time if I don't get back here before you leave. The last few years Julie has been on a healthy eating kick -- no fat, no caffeine, etc. They go to church, exercise, and do all the "right" things. She is thin and her husband is a retired doctor so you couldn't ask for any cleaner living than that. She meets with the surgeon tomorrow.

Susan -- I know you will enjoy your time off from work. Thanks for the heads up on the book. I hate WM with a passion as do most "intelligent" people in this town. I hope Stan's surgery goes ok and without any problems.

I need to figure out what I am wearing to school tomorrow and head to bed. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-19-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #11  

Good morning gals. Last day to post until I get back next Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day and we are hoping Jack gets off early as he usually does before the holiday so we can get out of here and make progress while still daylight. We are hoping he gets off at 1, which is what his foreman is thinking they will do, but it depends on what kind of mood the plant manager is in.

Susan: I will be saying a prayer for Stan. I too hope what they do works so he won't continually have to keep going in and getting work done over and over. I talked to our son yesterday and he wanted to know what kind of snacks and stuff we wanted and said he was still trying to get us a deal at the hotel. His friend is the manager, but the poor young man has Crohn's disease and is in the hospital with a situation much like mine, but worse. He is having real problems I guess. Jay says he will keep trying. He usually will comp part or even all of a stay if it is short. A couple days free would be nice!

Jean, Jean, Jean, Have you never learned not to shop this close to Christmas??? Sounds like you were a whirlwind. I went into Target weeks ago to get stuff for Jackson and didn't find much either, especially for babies and toddlers. I ended up ordering online! I swear I hate to Christmas shop these days. It isn't even enjoyable here, people pushing and shoving and driving nuts and getting nasty with parking, etc. I hate it. Hope you got just what you wanted for the kids. I have Thomas's stuff all wrapped, well put into gift bags for the most part, but it is ready for him to open. I cheated and stuck the 5 books I bought him all together, the two video games together, etc. You know how I hate to wrap!

Today is clean the downstairs day, ugh and then the kids are coming tonight. We have some stuff packed in the car, but still have the suitcases to put in the trunk and the cooler in the backseat with ice and drinks. I have to put my ostomy bag in at the last minute and I always carry a portable one with one set of stuff in it for emergencies so that will go in tomorrow too. I have the dog to take to the kennel and go and get the car washed as it is filthy and lots of other errandy kind of stuff.

Everyone have a super Christmas and I will see you when I get back with pictures! lol
Faye
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies! A cold 29 degrees right now.

Faye, I hope the driving part of your trip is uneventful and you have a great visit. Did you know they actually recommend caffine these days (the kind in coffee) because it is loaded with antioxidants! I should be in great shape. All I drink is water, coffee and tea.

Jean, you must be a glutton for punishment to put your shopping off until now. You can't get me to go near the stores now - only Krogers.

Now don't get all excited or anything, but I've finally ordered DSL for home. It should be in operation January 2 so I'll be able to post more next year.

Have a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home from the wedding which was very simple and nice. There was no dance and I can't remember ever being to a wedding w/o a dance since the early 70s. They did a video of pictures, set to music, of the bride and groom from when they were babies to their engagement. Last night we did the retirement party and power shopped at the grocery store. Today I did laundry before we left for the wedding, and got my recipes lined up. Tomorrow I wrap!

"Gma" -- I hope you are having a marvelous time although the IN weather didn't look the best on the weather channel this morning. I hope you didn't have any trouble getting to IN. We never did get anything except wind and cold. When we shop Bob drops me off at the door and then I call him on the cell phone when I am done and he picks me up at the door. He finds a parking spot and watches the people fight over who gets the vacant spots when a car leaves. It works the best when I have a list and know what I want in which store. We were early enough and shopped through the supper hour so it really wasn't too bad. It was getting crowded when we were ready to head home.

Susan -- I avoid shopping at WM because of the crowds, but pretty much know when the grocery store and down town will be less busy. We live in a rural area so our crowds are nothing like big city crowds.

Have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is out, but it is cold and the wind is ferocious this afternoon! Snow is blowing around but I can't tell if it is actually snowing or just blowing loose snow that fell during the night.

I was so tired last night I forgot to tell my "Mom" story. When I got up yesterday morning she was in her usual spot in front of the register in the bathroom. She stood up to get her ears scratched and fell over! Her hind legs wouldn't work! I moved her over towards the register and she tried to get up again and fell. I took my shower, got dressed, and rolled Bob out of bed so he could worry along with me until I could call the vet. We took her in and he checked her all over: no temperature, clear eyes, and her hind paws were warm which were all good signs. His guess was a slight stroke or a longer fancier name which included tipping her head to the side which she wasn't doing. His book said there was no cure for either, but both should clear up in 3 to 4 days. It is not that uncommon in dogs also and he said that most people want to put their animals down when it happens. We brought her home and she was walking like she was drunk by evening. I put her food, water, and litter box in the bathroom so she wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs. She likes to sleep on our bed when I preheat the bed and that's where she spent the night. She came downstairs on her own this morning . . . still isn't 100% but a whole lot better than yesterday for sure. It was two years ago on Christmas Eve day that we put Leonard to sleep and I sure didn't want a repeat of that.

Hope you all are enjoying your day today! I'm off to wrap some more gifts. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #15  

Good Day-After-Christmas Afternoon, ladies! I hope you had a great Christmas and Santa brought you everything you wanted. He was definitely good to us.

Faye, I hope your trip was uneventful - I was thinking about you and the snow and wondering if it was where you had to go. Its been pouring rain since last night. Not fun when I have to take Stan to dialysis. He's there now and I keep hoping it will stop before I have to go get him at 3 pm.

Jean, you have a good shopping plan - wish I could do that.

I know you both had fun with the grandchildren. Kids really do make Christmas. We had friends from North Carolina stop in on the way to their children's house. We had a really nice visit.

Guess it's time to start thinking about New Year's Resolutions - like lose weight, exercise more, same as last year and the year's before that. One of my Christmas gifts was a very nice red suede-covered journal. I've kept one for years.