Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Default Another short teacher?

Hey teacher I'm a teacher too. I teach high school history and English. What about you?

Don't you hate it when people ask you how tall you are?

Last edited by Mermom; 12-03-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #62  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Good morning everyone,
Gonzo Walker--They are calling for 1-2 inches of snow on Wednesday! Not much but a start.

Counting Down--Doesn't that always happen?

Don't you hate it when....you're sitting all the way back in a chair and your feet don't touch the ground
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #63  

Height: 5'1"

Hi all, This may not be for everyone, but.......Don't you hate it when you choose which car to buy, by how high you sit in the seat and can see out the window?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #64  
My Evolution

The slim me that is funny!

How about don't you hate it when... someone (really tall) pats your head like you're a pet or something.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #65  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Good morning ladies, only 4 more days til the weekend

Countingdown, I wanted to comment and congratulate you on your weight loss success 48 lbs is great progress!!! I am an inch shorter than you and I remember at 173 I felt positively thin (compared to the 230s! ). Recognizing we are works in progress, it does take effort and diligence to maintain our weight losses and not gain everything back, so even if we only lose very small amounts every week or even every month, it is a step forward. You totally make sense about setting attainable goals and readjusting them when needed.

Karen, I have to say you have done wonderfully with your losses as well. I always say keeping it off is more than half the battle. Have you had any more prospective buyers come and look at the house? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to buy it, it is beautiful and has so much land. I guess it's a buyers market right now though huh? I love your dog ticker, it's so cute and fitting for you

Shay, I hear you on Core--the "eat until you're satisfied" part always gets a big HA! out of me. I mean, come on, if I knew when to stop, I wouldn't be at WW would I? I like Flex because yes, it does work when you work it. I think the thing that most bugs me is the food journaling, but it's a necessary evil for me. If I don't write it, I forget I ate it, then I think I have more points than I actually do, which is wrong wrong wrong...... so even if I don't want to admit that I ate something worth a gazillion points, I write it anyway. It's all about accountability right?

Well, you ladies have a great day. Hope you're having better weather than I am...it's been rain-stormy and windy with more to come. That's our Hawaii winter though. Have a good one!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Mermom-
I teach special ed K-2.
I used to hate it when I subbed in middle school and teachers would mistake me for a student. That was back in the day when I was around 120lb.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 172/118/117

Good morning, all, and a special HOO-RAH to you teachers! I am an elementary school principal's secretary. Just want you to know that I admire and respect you all hugely, but I do not envy you! Teachers have to be all things to all people, and the pay is a joke. The only teachers I work with who don't have a second job are the married ones. And then there are the parents who believe you got into teaching so you can have the summers off!! We try to explain the concepts of mandatory staff development and relicensure, but all they can see is an empty teacher parking lot in warm weather. There's a special place in heaven for you guys. Teachers ROCK!!

Have a good one!

Connie
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 248/248/140

Height: 5' 0"

Another shortie here- mind if I join? I can so relate to the problems of finding clothes that fit!
And not being able to reach things on the top shelf- especially when shopping. Does anybody else grab another item and try to "knock" things down or is it just me? I hate having to ask for help, so if I can't get what I want off the top shelf that way, I figure it wasn't meant to be.

Here's one of my pet peeve's- maybe some of you can relate. I have short legs (my inseam is 25/26 inches) and, therefore, a short stride. When I walk with taller people, I have to walk much faster to keep up or they have to slow down. I just takes more steps for me to cover the same amount of ground as taller people. Right now my main exercise regime is walking, and it takes forever to walk a mile, even when I'm pushing it.
Years ago in college I had to take a gym class. It wasn't bad; we could do whatever physical activity we wanted as long as we remained active and we had to record our activities, heart rates, etc. on sheets that we turned in at the end of class. One of my classmates and I would walk around the track, and I'm not talking a leisurely stroll. We were moving. If I would have gone any faster, I would have been jogging. Anywho, one time the teacher commented on the sheet that my distance/speed was too slow! I was so irritated! Granted, she didn't know me from Adam- all she saw was that I was walking slower than I "should" be. I seriously doubt I could walk a mile in 15 minutes or less if I was 100 pounds lighter and in peak condition. Jogging, sure, but walking? Not likely!
I guess I just chafe at being forced to fit into a mold that was never meant for me.
Okay, that's enough ranting.
- Erin

Last edited by call me e; 12-05-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Welcome Erin! I totally agree with you! I too have "short legs" and find it hard to do a mile in 15 minutes. I have also been with people that can't understand why I can't keep up with them walking. I have finally just told myself that is the way it is. My DH isn't all that tall but he has long legs and a very long stride. But a couple bouts with pnumonia and bronchitis have left his lungs in a shape where I walk faster and he gripes at me to slow down! Not a good way to walk faster than him but still the shoe is on the other foot! His health is another reason why we have our home for sale and going to move to a lower altitude.

And I hate it when the things I want are way up on the top shelf at the store! But I have to laugh --- the store manager where I shop isnt' very tall either and when he sees me trying to get something he will always say let "ME" help you--- and calls someone!!

Don't you hate it when.... you haveto pay full price for a pair of pants that you are going to have to cut "half" the legs off to hem up!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

The comment about the grocery store really made me laugh! I have been known to move things on the bottom shelf so I can step up and reach sometime on top. This doesn't always work though so often I have to ask a stranger
At home I use a wooden spoon with a long handle to bat things down from the top cupboard so I down have to drag a chair over. Of course then I have to catch whatever it is before it falls and breaks.

I have started to buy pants from the thrift store so that I don't feel so bad when I have to cut half the leg off. That way too if I mess up while sewing I am only out a few dollars.

The walking thing is always a challenge. I have a 25/26 inseam as well. I have had to train people to slow down if they want to walk with me although I still end up walking a few paces behind.

How about this one ---don't you hate it when you are ignored while shopping and can never get service because all those tall people are so much more visible? Or...do you ever go in stores in the mall and get lost because the displays of clothes racks are so high and so dense that you can't see where you are going? Or your friend you are shopping with loses you in the store because even though she is taller she can't see you?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #71  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

melekalikimaka, Thank you so much for your kind words. I do feel "thin" right now. After menopause, I gained a lot of "belly fat" that I never had before - even though my weight stayed relatively the same. It has been the first fat to go, so I actually have some shape to my body again - a bit "fluffy" still, but at least a shape is emerging - LOL

I am amazed how many of us work in education. I am the technology coordinator for our school district. I have an office at the Jr-Sr High. I try to time my movements so that I am not in the hall when the students are passing, I get lost in the shuffle! Even our 6-7th grade building has many students that tower over me!

Erin I agree. I have a hard time walking with anyone else. I am such a slowpoke even when I am "truckin'".

I hate that I can't clean the top of my bathroom mirror without getting a step-stool. And that I have to stand on my tipee-toes to close the rear door of my husband's SUV.
And finally - what about furniture makers that can't seem to make a chair where my feet touch the floor? I don't even whant to get started on sofa makers ...
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #72  
My Evolution

Welcome Erin!

Connie do you have snow? Its snowing here in Arlington.

I could go on & on about the grocery store. I've stepped on shelves, I've asked strangers, I've given up....

I can definitely get on board about the short stride too. That is why some speeds on the treadmill are so scary.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #73  

Height: 5'1"

Hi All, I have short legs too! Seems to be a theme for a lot of us. I do walk fast though, faster than most people. My husband is always telling me to slow down. And when I'm walking with other people I have to make a effort to walk at their pace. I think it's from all the running I do in the hospital. You learn to walk fast early on.

Hope eveyone is having a good day, Freda
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #74  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Hey everyone, it's been wet and wild weather for me here in Hawaii, my internet connection is a little haywire. I wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone though.

As for being able to reach for things on the top shelves? I have a "extend-a-arm" contraption in my kitchen, it's a wooden stick with a metal, rubber-tipped claw at the end which you use to grab things with. It's the best description I can give it, but it's the only way I can reach for my spices in the cupboard up above the stove without climbing up on a stool or a chair (which is dangerous!). Anyway, the things we have to put up just because we're vertically challenged . You ladies have a good one.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #75  
My Evolution

Noelle it is a mess here in VA too. It snowed on Wednesday and now its sleeting. The snow is the fluffy pretty kind.
Closed Thread