Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #44

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had my nap in front of the TV and now I'm thinking about heading for bed. I looked at the clock wrong this morning and got up thinking it was time for the alarm to go off. It was only 4:15! So I went back to bed and watched the clock numbers change until I finally did get up at 5:15. I don't know if I was dreaming or what, but I hope it doesn't happen again tonight!

"Gma" -- I won "high" at cards last night and then promptly walked off and forgot my prize money! We put in a quarter and a dime . . . high score gets the quarters and low gets the dimes. I had good cards for once and the few times I didn't my partner did. Isn't Fosomax what is prescribed for bones? I know I have seen it advertised on TV. Do you think Jack will have to have knee replacements down the road? My "mom" is having her shoulder done next week; I kid her that she will really give the airport screen machine fits because she's already had a new hip and a new knee. She does have a card from her doctor that she carries with her. She's had this appt. for over two months and has been worrying about it.

Not much newsy from my corner of the world tonight. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! How are you?

Jean: Did I type Fosomax? It is Flomax! I doubt the other one would help with that problem, but might with the knees! lol Don't you hate it when that happens with the clock? I do that a lot. I am learning to sleep on my back though. I have to put a pillow under my left thigh otherwise my left hip aches and aches, but I can then sleep. I have been taking Benadryl at night for itching so that helps make me sleep too. My incision and around it itch like the devil, partly from the tape and partly from healing. It can drive me nuts so at night I have been taking Benadryl to stop the itching. Congrats on your card win even though you didn't get your winnings!

I have lost another 2 lbs, which is good, but I really have to watch what I eat. You know, you try to be careful but sometimes you just eat something that goes through your system wrongly. I have done a couple wrong things, but I sure learn from it. It will be a process I guess.

I still haven't gone back to knitting. I just don't feel like it. I guess I will get back to it sooner or later. Right now I have to concentrate on Thanksgiving. Everyone is coming to my house so it has to be cleaned before next Thursday, I have to order the turkey dinner from Krogers and the pies from Perkins and then get Kelly organized with what she should bring. I am getting a bit stressed about it, but Friday I will get the orders put in and this weekend I have to grocery shop at the commissary so will get what we need then. i am not even looking forward to either holiday this year. I have to say I am anxious about traveling with the way things are. I was hoping to be so much stronger than I am, but the home nurse said it would come in time.

I better go as Jack will be down in a couple minutes. Everyone have a good Wednesday!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! The wind has been blowing all day long and it is getting worse tonight! It even feels like "winter" and the sky/clouds had the "snow" look to them. So far no rain nor snow so that is good. I've been to bell choir practice and watched my soap. I woke up at 4:15 again this morning, but I did go back to sleep. I can't figure out what might wake me up at that hour of the night.

"Gma" -- If I were you I would cancel Thanksgiving this year! You don't need the stress nor the mess of before and after. Dr. Jean's opinion you understand. I'm not sure what we are doing -- probably nothing since my "mom" is having her shoulder surgery on Tuesday. We have Ian's birthday party this Saturday and it will be at his other grandparents' house which is a half hour away from us. Jason and Amanda have tickets to a concert in Sioux City that night and then will come back and stay overnight with her parents. Bob's bunch is singing in church on Sunday so that takes care of another weekend. I don't know where the days go, but they sure seem to slip by. I hope you are feeling stronger each day . . . don't overdo on your cleaning!

I'm off to decide what I'm wearing to school tomorrow and then head for bed. Have a terrific Thursday! The days are flying by much too quickly!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #4  

Good morning gals! Hope all is well in your world. I have my dr appt with the surgeon today so we shall see what he says about how I am coming along. I did do something radical last night. My bag came loose again so I took it off and we cleaned all up and I put gauze down the stoma with ostomy powder to reduce irritation and then put the zinc cream on and taped gauze over the whole thing rather than wear a bag to bed. It made a big difference for my raw areas and as I never put out at night, there wasn't a problem. I am leaving the bag off all day and treating it with the zinc stuff then will have Jack put a bag on before I go to the dr. I will make sure I am all ready for him so we can do it quickly.

Jean: Kelly is going to help with Thanksgiving and the kids won't be here until the middle of the day Thanksgiving because they both have to work on Wednesday. We will have an evening meal so there won't be any rushing and Kelly and clan are coming over around noon so she can help. Like I said, we are ordering catered stuff for the most part. It is paper products to eat on that is for sure. Our weather is up and down. It has been really warm here this week but supposed to cool off now I guess. We got a lot of rain yesterday, and wind.

Not doing too bad with Christmas. I have two video games to get for Thomas then I am done with him then we have to tackle the baby's stuff. I think we may just make a trip to Toys R Us and get everything all at once for him. Since the adults aren't exchanging gifts any more, I won't be buying for the kids. It was their idea not mine.

I sure hope Jack got a good night's sleep. Poor man is exhausted doing everything and running everywhere. His knees were killing him last night and all he has is Ibuprophen for them until he goes back to the doctor on the 27th. I am hoping those did the trick. I imagine it was the weather making them hurt. He was limping around last night pretty bad. Sure will be nice when he can retire, but he has 8 years yet.

Well gals, I better go. He will be down in a couple minutes to make his breakfast and he likes to play Freecell on the computer while he eats.

Everyone have a good Thursday.
Faye
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! A cool, rainy day in Virginia. Stan's catheter quit working so they took it out and put in a new one yesterday. Because of the holiday, we have dialysis Sunday, Tuesday and Friday next week. I'm actually glad because we have friends from Ohio coming on Wednesday for the holiday. This way we only have one day he's on dialysis while they are here. I have to say, there for awhile I couldn't get him to eat. Now it's the opposite - he's been having a sandwich and fruit before he goes to bed. Since he doesn't eat much on dialysis days, breakfast then just a light meal in the evening, he hasn't gained too much. The dietician says let him eat as long as it's on his diet.

Faye, I can't imagine you not knitting. I've kind of let other hobbies go since I started quilting but I have started knitting socks...

Jean, nothing worse than waking up and not being able to get back to sleep. Maybe it's the time change since 4:30 used to be 5:30 when the clocks were turned ahead?

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm looking forward to a half day of school tomorrow. The kids have been squirrely this week! Some idiot pulled the fire alarm this afternoon! I thought the fire trucks got there pretty quickly this time; after we got back inside the principal came on the intercom and was she mad! The firemen had been at a house fire and had to leave to come to the school. They know which lever was pulled but the problem is that it happened as students were passing to another class. I doubt if they ever figure out who did it unless another student saw it and turns him/her in. We are planning to go to Sioux City tomorrow afternoon. I really want a new Christmas tree and would like to do some more shopping.

"Gma" -- I hope your doctor is pleased with your progress and gives you a good report! I hope Jack's knees are feeling better. That sounds a little silly to read it by itself, but you know what I mean.

Susan -- Part of my problem is that I'm not "smart" enough to go to bed earlier and get myself on a regular schedule. I seem to get a second wind when the 10:00 news comes on and then I'm good for another hour or so. The electric blanket is another issue! I turn my side off while Bob keeps his on "low." I think he gets hot and rather than turn it off he moves over to the center part of the bed so I don't have much space to move around in. I can remember my mom talking about not sleeping well; she didn't work, except to help my dad, so she could take a nap every afternoon. I could use a nap after lunch! Enjoy your visit with your Ohio friends! We still keep in touch with our Ohio neighbors who have since moved to Wisconsin and Indiana.

I need to find my school spirit shirt to wear tomorrow. Have a fantastic Friday and a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #7  

Good morning all! It sure was chilly coming home from the doctor's last evening. We arrived at 3:45 but weren't seen until almost 5 PM. I was the last patient and everyone including the secretarial staff went home except the dr, his nurse practioner and his nurse who was great and is finally getting us some help about my bag. She is going to try and get an ostomy nurse to come to the house and help us get the right product for me. I hope she can find someone who will take our insurance, but at this stage they can bill me if they want. As long as we can find something that would work for more than 24 hours. These are supposed to stay on 4-7 days and they cost with everything involved about $6 apiece. One thing I couldn't believe is that they took off my wound dressing asking what we were doing for it, etc. She said I had dead tissue in the wound, which was the white stuff (I can't see so I have no clue) Anyway, Jack was all upset that he wasn't taking care of me properly, but she said no that he was doing a great job that it was a natural occurence sometimes. She had the dr come in to see if they wanted to change anything, but he said no, that it looked good. The strange part is that the home health nurse said the white tissue was "new tissue." Now you would think she would know, wouldn't you???

Susan: I don't know what it is, but I just don't have the desire to go back to knitting yet. I imagine I will soon. Hope Stan continues to improve and that you have a nice time with your friends when they visit.

Jean: You need to get out your fingerprinting kit and become Sherlock Holmes! Since I had my surgery, I am wiped out by 6 PM. We were supposed to go and order the turkey from Krogers last night, but it was 6 PM by the time we got out of the dr office and we hadn't eaten so we just grabbed a burger and went straight home with it. We will go tonight. Stupid Perkins only carries the chocolate pies and not the others so I am just going to buy Mrs. Smith's pies out of the freezer case for dessert. The only one I will have to bake is the pumpkin and that won't be hard. It will be interesting tomorrow. We are going commissary shopping and I haven't been since before my surgery. Luckily, they have carts I can ride around on. I can now being a pushy old dude like the rest of them!

Well, we kind of left a mess in the downstairs last night so I need to put away some wound supplies and stuff.

Have a terrific Friday and weekend. Short week for everyone next week!

Faye
Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home an hour ago and my puppies are barking big time! I intended to change shoes before we left but got sidetracked and forgot. I did find another Christmas tree and did get some Christmas shopping done. Now to regroup and check my list to see what is left to get for whom. I'll be glad when the shopping part is done!

"Gma" -- I hate waiting for a doctor's appointment! I can just feel my blood pressure going up 'n up. I'm glad your appt. went well and do hope that the visiting nurse can get the problems straightened out. I am really surprised that the Perkins doesn't make pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving! When we went up to the lake I noticed that Perkins had a sign outside saying that Thanksgiving pies needed to be ordered early.

I think I am about ready to call it a day. Ian's birthday party is tomorrow and I need to get up and wrap gifts. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #9  

Good morning gals! We have a commissary run today and I am not looking forward to it. Shopping really wears me out, but it has to be done and Jack would screw it up to tell the truth so I have to go. He would forget stuff on the list, etc. He is good with a small list, but not any thing else.

We are sure heading for the holiday fast. We have a lot to do in the house besides the small amount of cooking I have to do. Jack is a big help and I will just do it a bit at a time until it is all done. I am leaving any Thanksgiving food stuff until Wednesday and between now and then will get the upstairs cleaned tomorrow and the downstairs next week. When I get done posting, I am going to sit at the fridge and wash it out so it is clean.

Jean: I still have 2 video games to get Thomas and all the stuff to buy for the baby, but will get it finished up in the next couple weeks. I need you here to do my gift wrapping as you know I hate to do that!!!! I am a big gift bag buyer because I hate to wrap presents so much. There is nothing worse than your shoes making your feet hurt when you have to wear them and walk around places. I used to hate to have to stop at the grocery store after church and walk around in high heels.

Guess I better get my supplies and start on the fridge. Have a good weekend and do something you enjoy!

Faye
Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! I fell asleep in front of the TV and am now waiting for the bed to preheat so I can crawl in. The birthday party was 7 screaming kids ages five and under . . . enough said about that! I had Ian's gifts in a sack plus a box of Legos. I handed to Legos to Bob and put the sack down while I double checked receipts on the counter. You guessed it, I forgot the sack! They will come here tomorrow before heading back home again. He had more than enough "stuff" to open. His other grandma had made a Pirates of the Caribbean ship/scene in front of the fireplace; it was so cute and the kids had a ball climbing in and out. She had saved wrapping paper tubes so everyone had a sword and a telescope.

"Gma" -- I hope your trip to the commissary went as well as possible and you didn't forget anything. That is my usual trick. It just doesn't seem possible that November is half over and Christmas will soon be here. I swear the days, weeks, and months fly by faster the older I get. I think I will be doing some online shopping for toys. Our WM is pathetic as kids have opened a lot of the boxes so it's anyone's guess if all the pieces are still together. It seems parents turn their kids loose in the toy aisles while they shop the rest of the store. GRRRRR!

We have a dinner at church tomorrow; I thought Bob signed us up to go and he thought he checked the "no" box. Over 300 are expected so guess we will wait and see how badly we want to stand in line. It is a "free" Thanksgiving dinner prepared by a church member who owns a restaurant, so I'm sure there will be a very loonnngggg line.

Hope you all have a nice Sunday! The weatherman is saying "chance of snow" next week. *shudder*

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all! Boy yesterday was tiring. We went to the drugstore that carries my supplies and the girl doesn't work weekends so it took a long time to get stuff and boy does that little drugstore do the business. The pharmacy must have had 20 people ordering prescriptions and they just kept coming. They had 3 pharmacists/techs filling stuff and about 5 people waiting on customers. They are so very nice though and apologized for the wait, etc. At least I could sit down. Next was the commissary and it was a total mess. It was a couple days past military payday and the week before Thanksgiving. People were rude and Jack got really mad because the line to check out was long and not one person would let us through so we could get to the back of the line. We had to go clear to the back of the store and then back around. I told Jack I would have just said, "Excuse me I need to get through so I can get in line," and pushed through. Sometimes you have to be that way. Oh and all they had were paper bags, which we hate. It takes forever to get groceries in that way and Jack had to carry it all in. We get home and I find I am leaking so I have to clean up before I can help with anything and by this time I am wiped out. I had to sit in my computer chair to put fridge groceries away and then sat on a dining room chair to put stuff away in the pantry. It is all done though except for getting a couple things the commissary didn't have.

Jean: I bet that was some party. What a cute thing for Amanda's mom to do. I bet they had a ball playing in it. Have a good time at dinner if you stay. Hope you don't have too much of a wait. It isn't worth it to stand in heels for a turkey dinner! lol It is cool in the morning, but has been pretty pleasant once the sun comes out and warms things a bit. It is supposed to be 64 today, but get into the upper 70's this next week. It is supposed to go from the 70's on Wed to the 50's on Thanksgiving!

We got a package from the company we use for my ostomy stuff. They included a dvd and it had great information in it that I think will help us a great deal to get the bag to fit right. We tried one of them yesterday when my bag leaked and had to be changed and I hope it will work. One of the things that makes it hard is my stoma is not at skin level. The dvd showed 3-4 people's stomas when they put on bags and demonstrated stuff and all of theirs stuck out of the skin like a little pinky. Because of my fat, my stoma is in a hole, which makes getting the bag to fit down in it difficult, but I am hoping we can order a couple of these other products and they will do the trick.

Lots to do today. We have to get the filthy upstairs cleaned and I am going to have to do it bit by bit. Jack is in charge of vacuuming, but the bathroom is beyond nasty. I have to admit, this operation has taught me that sometimes I just have to let things go. Jack talked to his sister yesterday who is a cardiac care charge nurse and she said that I shouldn't stress about not feeling a lot of strength etc. She says not only was the operation dangerous because of what happened, but it is a pretty serious one in itself and takes a very long time to recuperate. I just feel like I'm not bouncing back very fast, but she said to give it a long time that it will come. I know I don't have much strength in my hands and I still really tire easily. She suggested Ensure, but I tried the Boost in the hospital and couldn't drink it even holding my nose. She said that I should try Carnation Instant Breakfast and I have drank that and can stand it so I might get some of it and drink it in milk. She said it will help to build up my stamina. I get really discouraged and a little depressed with all this because I was so used to being up and around and walking everyday and such. It is hard to have to depend on others all the time, but it is teaching me a lesson I guess.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!
Faye
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a gloomy windy day in my neighborhood today. We had a few sprinkles of rain . . . just enough to stir up the dust on the cars. Bob's group sang at both services. I debated about going to second service but decided to go to first, come home, and go back for the dinner. We both thought it was going to be a turkey "Thanksgiving" dinner and it turned out to be ham. It was good . . . and homemade pies for dessert. YUM! Needless to say it wasn't a WW friendly meal except for the green beans. We also had baked potatoes and a salad that had marshmallows, grapes, apples, strawberries (seeds of some sort), and I'm thinking Cool Whip held it all together. It was good! Bob doesn't like apple peel and he took a big spoonful. I tried to warn him but he wasn't paying attention. He was a good sport and ate it. It was pledge Sunday and we saw people there (free meal??) that we have never seen in church before. We do have three services, but we have attended all three at some time or another. Jason, Amanda, Ian, and Zowie were here when we got home. Ian and Zowie were standing at the front door and could hardly contain themselves. They arrived shortly after I left at 11:30 and we didn't get home until a little after 1. Ian had spotted his gifts that I forgot to take yesterday and wanted to open them right away. J & A made him wait until we could watch. I think the Legos were the biggest hit of all.

"Gma" -- I often wondered how an ostomy "worked." Over the years I've met several people who have had them (permanently) but never felt I knew them well enough to ask. Bob had a client who had a botched colonoscopy so had to have one while he healed. I hope you find whatever you need to make it work better. My mom couldn't make herself drink Ensure; she thought it tasted chalky. Bob's mom drinks Boost and Carnation Instant Breakfast. I know the doctors and nurses really push them as a good alternative to food when you don't feel like eating. None of it sounds good to me since I don't like milk in any way shape or form (except ice cream).
I know it will take time to get your strength back, but you are one determined lady and you can do it! People standing in check out lines can be pretty rude for sure! I had a gal try and budge in front of me the other day. I happened to be talking to the person in front of me and she stepped over so the cart next to me couldn't fit in behind her. I didn't see it happening until she moved over.

I have laundry going and need to get the last load into the dryer. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! Remember to keep !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #13  

Good morning to you ladies! Short work week for you and Jack has an all day "diversity" seminar so he only has to work on Tuesday and Wednesday. It is a good thing because the dog jumped off the bed all night long and won't jump back up, but sits and barks until you get up and put him on the bed. I have doggie steps, but he won't use them and right now, Jack doesn't want me getting up and picking him up.

Jack will vacuum after work tonight and I am going to dust upstairs this morning and then it is done. Whew, that bathroom was hard for me. It took me an hour to clean it as I would do a job and have to go in the bedroom and sit on the bed with the fan then tackle the next one. The tub was really hard for me, but it is all cleaned now and I will get upstairs first thing this morning and get the dusting done and then it will be ready for Thanksgiving except for a touch up.

I have 2 pies, cornbread dressing, and a pretzel salad to make for Thanksgiving. The pies are a snap because I am using Pillsbury pie crust dough that you just stick in the plate and then pie filling. The dressing is easy as I bought ready made cornbread cubes and just have to sweat some onions in some butter and combine it and the cubes with spices and chicken broth and bake and the prezel salad, though more involved I can sit and do in the kitchen if I have to by putting my computer chair at its highest level. I am going to do the pies and pretzel salad tomorrow and the dressing on Wednesday. Since the kids won't get in until around noon we are having Thanksgiving dinner in the evening.

Jean: Sounds like you had a houseful yesterday. The dinner sounds good. I love ham. In fact, Jay's old boss has a sister who owns Heavenly Ham in South Bend and he is going to get a ham from her and bring it so we have both smoked turkey and ham. We bought the turkey from the BBQ place across the street and they are smoking it so we shall see what everyone thinks. Jay and Alicia say that smoked turkey is really juicy and not dry and they really like it. I finally finished up T's Christmas yesterday. I ordered him 2 video games and 2 game point cards that he can use with his Wii machine and I guess it is like renting games or something. The baby comes next and I imagine we will go to Toys R Us the end of the month and get his stuff. If the boxes are big, I am just going to put bows on them because wrapping could be awful. We have a couple big things we want to get him that might be in big boxes. Since we have to travel, it will make it easier too.

Well, I best get things going downstairs before Jack gets up for breakfast.

Have a good start to the week everyone!
Faye
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #14  

Hi, ladies! Sounds like you have both been very busy.

Faye, Stan mixes Boost or Ensure with whey protein powder and frozen Strawberries in the blender. He only likes the Strawberry (can't have chocolate), but it makes it much more palatable, like a Smoothie. You probably wouldn't want the whey powder (mega calories) but you could do that or the Boost/Ensure. You mix the whey with milk, water or juice. As always, you have everything under control.

Jean, the dinner sounds great. Stan isn't allowed ham (which I love) so the occasional ham sandwich for lunch is all I get. The little darlings around here call in bomb threats to get a day off from school.

I have to take Stan for a new pair of shoes and then my Christmas shopping will be done. I really hate to have to spend for the whole pair since he can only wear one! I think you can get custom made shoes at the podiatrist's office so maybe I should see if they would just do one.

So here I am with guests coming and I decided to rearrange all the living room furniture, so then I had to get the drapes cleaned, wash the blinds, clean the carpet...so now everything needs to be put back together so I get to do that when I go home. I seem to have never ending laundry anymore - Stan gets up, puts on clean clothes, goes to dialysis, puts on clean clothes, puts on pjs for bed, NEVER wears anything twice. I wash every day and still don't get to the end for a few days.

Getting the Christmas decorations out and he can spend next week decorating the trees, one in the family room and one in the living room (both small, however).
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is an absolutely gorgeous day today! It feels more like a spring day than a November day. I love it! I guess the in-service turned into a bi*ch session on Friday. I wish I would have been there! The assistant principal got it with both barrels and he wasn't even there. Of course the principal stuck up for him but agreed to have individual meetings with teachers who voiced the complaints. Maybe some discipline and consistency will come to pass after all. I guess some teachers were pretty vocal; there was an email today stating that future in-service time would not be discussing school policies! Just another day in paradise . . . . .

"Gma" -- It sounds like you have your schedule set and you're sticking to it! You are so organized! I wish my shopping was done, but I have it started. I really wanted to go to Sioux Falls and do the toy shopping at Toys R Us, but may go online instead. The days are flying by too fast.

Susan -- We've had the bomb threats too. We don't get out of school though -- evacuate while they search the building and then go back in. If it is during the winter months we go to another building. Otherwise we go to the end of the football field and watch. Your living room will be spic 'n span for your guests. That is a nice feeling!

I have card club tonight so need to get my clothes ready for tomorrow. I hate having to do that when I get home. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!