CALLING all tall girls

You're on Page 17 of 37
Go to
  • I'm mostly following Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" program and he says that to be your healthiest, a woman should be able to pinch no more than an inch of fat on her belly. Boy, do I have a ways to go!
  • lol is that unreasonable? We may get to a point where we have no more than an inch of fat but what about us older women? I've had 5 kids....when I get to a body fat point where I have less than an inch of the stuff around my belly what is going to account for the excess skin I have lol. Just sayin...........

Hi all you tall women. How many of us are Canadian? I just heard yesterday that Long Tall Sally from the UK has bought Tall Girl stores in Canada and the on-line store in the US. Might be nice to see some different clothing at Tall Girl.....though currently I'm a little to large to wear their clothing.....I've been back to shopping at Addition Elle.....not for long I hope.

Cheers
    Mary
  • Hi, there, I'm new to this thread, but wanted to say hi. I'm 5'10" and currently around 300lbs - scales pending since I've decided to really hit this head on. I know if I look at my 'suggested healthy weight' it's ridiculous - I can't remember being 150-160lbs, let alone lower. Even when I was in excellent shape, I was around 180lbs.

I know that now I don't look like my weight - but I sure feel it!

Oh - I'm also in Canada now - it would be lovely to see some large, tall girl clothes!! I'm so tired of pants being too short - which only adds to how fat I look!

Anyone else noticed that in actual fact, as you lose weight (as a tall girl) that you actually don't look thinner to begin with, you just look taller?
  • Quote:
    Anyone else noticed that in actual fact, as you lose weight (as a tall girl) that you actually don't look thinner to begin with, you just look taller?
    YES! I hear that all the time! It's funny to me. I'm like, "Yay!" I love being tall and I would love to be even taller so that's good.
  • omg that is so true!!!! People have asked me so many times since I lost the first 40 if I am standing up straighter, or if I actually grew!!!

Now I know to take that as a compliment that I must be looking thinner!
  • Hi Havisham,
    Welcome to Canada. There are stores called Addition Elle and they carry 'tall' pants. I feel your pain, I remember going in there years ago before they started carrying them and getting angry and telling the poor short over weight girl that 'not all fat people are short ya know!'

Cheers
    Mary
  • Quote: Hi Havisham,
    Welcome to Canada. There are stores called Addition Elle and they carry 'tall' pants. I feel your pain, I remember going in there years ago before they started carrying them and getting angry and telling the poor short over weight girl that 'not all fat people are short ya know!'

Cheers
    Mary
    Hi, Mary, thanks for the smile! I tend to shop at Penningtons right now because I find Addition Elle a little 'fancy' for me - I'm a more 'comfy' type person. However, I didn't realise that they did 'tall' stuff, so I'll check it out. There's one right by my office so I'll go take a look.

It's annoying because all places now offer plus sizes in petites. Like you say, not all fat people are short. It's like for the longest time (and it's only just getting better) that all plus size clothes were old and frumpy - stuff my grandma might wear. What, we're fat so we're obviously short and old?? Very frustrating.

Anyway, little rant there. I shall check out AE and let you know how it goes!
    Joanna
  • Im 5'7 and very curvy must I add, no one says I look the weight I am either.. and its hard being a tall lady must I add *LOL* but I carry it very well..and have lost 25 lbs so far on WW YAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!
  • That's great Stylist83! Way to go, keep it up.

Joanna, I have also ordered Tall Plus size pants from ColdwaterCreek.com. They ship to Canada. I am wearing a pair of their jeans today and they are actually too long! Now there's a first!
  • Hi All,

Wanted to say hello. I'm 5'10, my weight is unhappily staying in the 235ish area and I wear a tight sz 18 jean. I always had problems finding pants that were long enough and shirts that wouldn't be short on my long arms, I always had to push them up. I do fit in a XL top but finding one long enough is a challenge. I put them in the washer but hang them to dry.

Growing up was tough being the tallest one in the class but as a adult it doesn't bother me any longer.

I wear a size 8 shoe sometimes a 9 but that depends on the shoe... I always thought that was small for my height!

Trying to lose at least 5lbs a month. I also started on the walking away the pounds tapes, I'm only making it one mile at a time whew, I'm so out of shape.

Good luck everyone and remember keep your shoulders back and your head held high
  • This thread is a treasure. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in my struggles to lose weight and find a healthy balance between my size and my height.

I plan to be back here often!
  • Each2each, we're height and weight twins!
  • Hey hey hey tall girlies... what is considered a non-fat thigh for a tall girl? Mine are 22" at the widest part and I still feel like they're a little fat, even now that I'm at a normal BMI.. I feel like my two problem areas are my lower tummy and thighs....
    159 pounds
    Size 12 pants...
    33 waist
    40.5 hips
    22 thighs
    38 bust
    >.<
    So I thought I'd ask. I do look all right though, so I don't mind too much, I just don't know how off I am for someone of a normal weight.
  • Quote: Each2each, we're height and weight twins!
    Skinnycow, we are! I noticed that in a few of your earlier posts! We're so close to "onderland!" How is it coming along for you?

megwini, this may not be your ideal response, but only you can be a fair judge of how large your thighs ought to be. Are they really toned from running or working out? It's great to read that you aren't bashing yourself, because 159 sounds like a really healthy weight! And like a lot of people have said before in this thread, we tall girls carry weight differently, so even getting down to your goal weight might not significantly change your thigh measurements. Good luck with your next goal!
  • I'm 5'9 and weigh 271 as of today. I wear a size 18 clothes...thank God for being tall is all I can say! I can't imagine being short and being this heavy. When I tell ppl how much I weigh they don't believe me since I do carry it pretty well. Thank you long legs and torso!!! ...My goal is to be 170lbs though. We'll see how it goes. I've never been skinny so I'm not sure I'll even look good at that weight. It might be "too skinny" for me...is there such a thing?? lol I sure can't wait to find out!!