Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #41

Good morning gals. Well Friday is finally here. Jack is glad. He now has a cold and is miserable. He feels so bad this morning he is laying in the recliner with the lights off waiting to go to work. Since he took yesterday off for his dental appt he didn't want to take off today too.

I am sitting here listening to the last Harry Potter book. I ordered it from Amazon because it was the cheapest place I could find, even Walmart was about 8$ more. I got free shipping and no tax so....I wanted to take it with me to Indiana to listen to. Takes up the driving time to listen to a book rather than just music. I love how Jim Dale reads the books with all the voices so I actually enjoy the book on CD almost more than reading and I love to read.

Susan: For my birthday, Kelly bought me the KnitPicks Option needle set so I have been having fun with them. I have the other front panel started and hope to get the vest done no later than the beginning of next week. I went ahead and sewed up the back with the one side to see how it would look and it looks nice except it is curling because it is mostly stockinette, but after blocking that will fix that. I need to steam the pockets so I can sew them on. I should get the apple buttons today or tomorrow so I can put them on the pockets before I sew them on the vest. It is the last knitting Christmas project I have to do. I have also started buying the grandkids their presents. Well, actually only Thomas so far. For his birthday his parents bought him this beautifully embossed Cub Scouts scrapbook and I bought him these really cool Crayola tools to use. I bought a measuring instrument that you just roll along and it verbally tells you the measurement, a stapler that doesn't use staples, a cutting tool, and a few other cool things. I have also gotten him two card games, "In a Pickle" and "There's a Moose in the House." He wants a "Life" and a "Clue" game so I imagine we will get him those and 2-3 video games. When he was at the house last he made me a list of video games he wants for Christmas.

Jean: Boy, that has to be miserable, dressing and undressing all day just to try and stay comfortable. Sounds like Bob is really busy this year with the farming.

Rennie: I am already starting on birthday presents for people next year. I like to keep busy.

Wishing a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Maggie wherever you are!!!! Hope you and Cowboy are having a grand time traveling around the country!

And to Miss Jean, who has a birthday tomorrow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you too! Are you doing anything special??

Everyone have a grand weekend!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 10-12-2007 at 06:52 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! Bob is farming again today so I won't see him until much later. They are filling bins on the farm now so can go as long as the machinery doesn't break down. It's been another beautiful day in my neighborhood. My day ended on a strange note at school. I have an 8th hour study hall with another teacher. Of course the kids are antsy because it's the end of the week, everyone had tests yesterday and today, no homework, etc. The teacher told a girl to move to another desk and get her English book out to reread a story that she failed a quiz on. The girl got snippy; the teacher told her to bring a chair up by the teacher's desk and sit there until the bell rang. The girl threw her bookbag across the room which got the attention of everyone else in the room. The teacher ended up taking her to the office and the student was arguing loudly the whole way down the hall. I finally shut the door and could hear others doing the same. The kids all looked at me and I just said, "better get a book on your desk and look busy when she comes back!" I have never seen this teacher so angry.

Rennie -- What are potato pockets? I've never heard of them or at least I don't think I have. If they are something new we will probably have them by next summer.

"Gma" -- Beth loved to play Clue and she was so lucky at it. Bob would moan and groan about playing and then losing. Jason never liked to play because he ALWAYS lost. I'm always game to play games except Monopoly. I'm usually able to stay dressed in whatever I start out the school day in. Once in awhile I will get too warm and take my jacket or sweater off. I take the "short cut" outside to get to another part of the building so can cool off between classes. I change rooms every hour this semester. Next semester I may be in the same room most of the day. I just never know. Thank you for the birthday greetings. I see there must be some new smilies. The kids and grandkids are coming tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain because we'd like to go to the new "one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art" playground that has just been finished to go along with our $30 million outside and inside waterslides, hotel, and restaurant set-up. The outside waterpark is closed now but they claim that there were 50,000+ people through it this summer. I wonder where Maggie is?

Maggie -- Wherever you are . . .

I need to get started on laundry since the whole family will be here tomorrow, and I won't get much done.

Have a super duper weekend. Remember to smile!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #3  

Good morning gals! The dog just won't let me sleep past
4. Now that we have him on a feeding schedule instead of a grazing one, he wants to be fed first thing. Jack is going to have a time of it when I go to Indiana as Fortune jumps off the bed and he refuses to try and jump back on, nor will he use the fancy pants expensive stairs I bought him to use. So, you are up and down and up and down, because he will sit on the floor and bark until you get out of bed and pick him up and put him back on the bed. I do have an idea to try this weekend. I have to block the stairs with dining room chairs every morning to keep the dog from going upstairs and getting in the cat food. I am going to try and block the stairs tonight and make him sleep downstairs and see how he does. I may just start making him sleep downstairs if he will and won't stand at the bottom of the stairs and bark to come up. He doesn't during the daytime when I am upstairs cleaning and such. I am going to talk to Jack and see what he thinks.

Jean: Everytime you tell a story about a kid getting unruly I always think about how our generation would never even have tried any of that stuff. I got mouthy with my Econ/Government teacher, but it was this thing between us, sort of a joke even. I was never disrespectful, but a little smarty pants sometimes. When I had him sign my senior yearbook he said something very nice about my being one of his favorite students of all time and by this time he had been teaching probably 20+ years so I guess he was never upset about it. Of course, this man was also a terrible womanizer and liked women and I didn't look like a teenager if you get my drift. He was a fairly good looking man and had a way with some of the teachers I heard. Rumors, pure rumors, but my older sister had him tens years previous and she hated him. He actually flunked her, but then she could be very obnoxious. We just kind of had fun with it. Thomas loves Monopoly as does Jack. I always hated the game because it is so long and drawn out and playing with Jack could be awful. He got so ugly if you didn't sell him stuff and such. With having grandkids, and the fact that he got told off by me when we played summer of 2006 in Nashville and he wouldn't let 6 year old Thomas win, he has backed off. When Thomas was here the last time and we played, he was very sweet with Thomas even telling him when he should and shouldn't do things. Thomas actually won I think and without much help. I used to like to play CLUE, but I thought LIFE was stupid and still do. Thomas has SORRY and likes to play that. We used to have the old fashioned Parchesi that was the same thing basically. He likes to play card games too. Actually, he just likes to play games period. Of course, his parents and grandparents play with him a lot.

I got my yarn for the mouse scarf. The pattern looks easy enough except I have to figure out the instructions on connecting one mouse to the next by knitting. I just kind of scanned the directions.

Everybody have a good Saturday. We are just going to hang around the house today. Jack is going full blown with his cold so he isn't feeling too well.

Faye
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! I can almost say "Good Morning!" I am tired and am on my way to bed. After the kids left we put the house back together, vacuumed the crumbs, and mopped the sticky spots. It is raining here tonight . . . cold and damp. It definitely feels like fall has arrived. I have to be at church and ready to practice by 7:30 tomorrow morning. Bob is heading to Sioux Falls to help Jason with his fireplace chimney or sheetrock the basement if it is raining.

"Gma" -- What color are you making the mouse scarf? If you've said I forgot. It will be cute! I hope Fortune will sleep downstairs and keep quiet for you. Where does Butterscotch sleep? I hope Jack is feeling better!

I'm off to bed! Have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! Well the experiment flopped. Usually Fortune won't venture in or around stuff if he feels the space is too tight, but I went to bed early and Jack was downstairs watching the NASCAR race. I woke up to Fortune yipping at me to get on the bed. Jack was back upstairs in his office and said Fortune must have worked his way around stuff. I am going to try again tonight I think because between 3 am and 5 he jumps off the bed a bazillion times, but then can't get back on. As for B, he sleeps on our bed too, but he just comes and goes as he pleases. {{{sigh}}}

Jean: Sounds like your birthday wore you out! Hope you had a good time with your kids and grandkids. Did everyone come over?

Not a very productive day for me yesterday and may not be for me today either. I am worn out and am at one of those times where I am at my end so to speak. When I have a lot of ongoing menopause stuff, it just wears the heck out of me and sooner or later I crash for a day and yesterday and today seem to be it. I am going to try and get rested up today and see if it helps. I really want to get the downstairs cleaned, but I am so pooped feeling it might just have to wait.

Jean: I bought the gray yarn for the mice scarf. I thought it was more authentic and I can convince Thomas it was scary for me to knit that way. Sooner or later he is going to catch on that not all rodent stuff scares me, just the live ones and anything that looks real. I told Jack I think the mad squirrel that lives in our tree is out to get me because a couple days ago he had invited all his friends over for a party. There were 4 of them out on my deck and I was too chicken to go out and get my mail until they were gone. Makes me shiver just to think about it. We had chipmunks really bad when we lived in Indiana in the apartment and they really look like mice when they are running around as they are pretty fast. I bought black out drapes for my patio so I didn't have to see them. Ruined the view out the patio as we faced the pond and it was a nice view.

I get 20 bazillion catalogues since I order online so much and I got one yesterday from a company called Junonia. I have only bought one thing from them, some swimsuit coverup on clearance, but anyway, I was browsing through it yesterday morning and their t-shirts, and I mean t-shirts like Hanes style t-shirts only in colors were $49 apiece! I bought a couple of really nice long sleeved tunic style t-shirts that had the nice finished edge along the sleeves and the neck at an expensive women's online store, Ulla Popken and only paid $22 apiece for them. I definitely won't be shopping at the other place that's for sure. That is ridiculous. They had a waffle weave plain cream colored sweater and they wanted $99 for it. I could knit myself one in cashmere for around that!

Well, I am out of here. I want to sit and knit for awhile and see how it goes today.

Faye
Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon from gloomy Iowa where it is currently pouring in my neighborhood! The weather channel says we will have thunderstorms and rain every day until Friday. Bummer. I was at the church by 7:15 this morning to help set up the tables, etc. Bob left for Jason's house about the same time. I didn't get home until after 10; it was the associate pastor's Sunday to preach and he is always long winded, the choir sang, we played two pieces so it took extra time to trek up to the tables and sit back down again. After church we were putting bells away and some intelligent (?) person commented that there were NO men to help carry the tables and bell cases back upstairs to the room we practice in. I finally said to let the custodians do it like they did before the two current (lazy) custodians came on board. I refuse to carry the heavy bell cases and the tables are awkward/heavy also. Some poor guy, whose daughter is getting married and had cornered the organist, pitched in and helped carry the heavy stuff upstairs. Finally the associate pastor took a bell case up and nearly tripped over his robe in doing so. So far this after-noon I've done 3 loads of laundry and read the Sunday paper. Now I feel a nap might be in order!

"Gma" -- Is there something that wakes Fortune up so early? I sometimes hear the newspaper guy open the door around 3:30 if I've been to the bathroom. "Mom" sometimes sleeps with us and sometimes not. If I get up in the middle of the night she will meow just to let me know she is there, but she won't get up. Yup, the whole crew came yesterday. Zowie was watching the squirrels in our back yard and proceeded to lick all around the glass on the door. It was dark when they left and I didn't think any more about it. Today I could really see the smears so did get that cleaned. I'm sure I probablly have some smears that will show when the sun shines next weekend.

The dryer is buzzing so it is time to change laundry. I am washing Bob's grubby farming clothes after I finish with the regular laundry. Have a nice "rest of the day." I hope the sun is shining on you!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! Short post as I am still not feeling well and didn't even get to sleep until after 1 AM. I have been running a fever on and off all weekend and it has kind of zapped me. I am hoping whatever it was has worked out of my system by today.

Jean: Maybe the preacher should have taken off his robes before helping??? lol It's amazing when there is work to be done how fast everyone disappears. My older sister said she was disappointed we weren't coming for Thanksgiving because I always help her set up and take down. Gee, thanks! lol

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.
Faye
Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! A lovely, cool day here in VA.

Faye, I was sick just like you yesterday. Stayed in bed most of the day - I still have to fix food for Stan, clear up, etc. Got my flu shot on Friday but they have never bothered me before. Getting pneumonia vaccine next month. Then I should be set for winter.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon/Evening, Flowers! It is a dark, dreary, rainy day in my neighborhood. It's not cold and the wind is not blowing so that is a plus, I guess. We aren't supposed to see the sun until Saturday; I know I could never live in Washington! Today was "ho-hum" at school; everyone wants me to read the story, do the math, figure out the science formulas, and then answer the worksheet questions. Gee, what's wrong with that picture?! I have card club tonight and I'm hoping we will quit earlier than we usually do. The hostess is the one who likes to be in bed by 9 so there is a chance. I have to work a volleyball game tomorrow night.

"Gma" -- I hope you took a nap and are feeling better by now.

Susan -- It's not fun being sick that's for sure. I've had one flu shot and got sick right afterwards. I'm leary about getting another one. I hope you are on the mend.

I need to find my school sweatshirt for tomorrow night and warm up leftovers for Bob's supper. He's at church practicing with his group.

Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow! Remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #10  

Good morning gals! I am going to kill Jack. He fools with my computer chair to make it taller everytime he sits as MY computer, which has seen better days and is a cast off from him. Now it is broken, tilts forward so you feel like you are going to end up on the floor most of the time. I feel an argument coming on tonight for sure. If I went upstairs and adjusted his chair in his office to sit in it, he would blow a gasket, but everytime he sits in mine he fools with it and now I can't sit in it and am in a dining room chair, which is not comfortable to sit and type in. grrrrr!

I am still having some issues, but I imiagine I am on the mend. It will work itself out I am sure.

Jean: Well, girl are you coaching, referreeing, hawking goodies or what at the volleyball match? Sounds like wayyyy fun as the teens say!

Susan: Hope you are feeling better by now. Sometimes people are just sensitive to flu shots I think and I have seen people never sensitive who then get sick out of the blue after one so??????

I got the cutest pattern for a polo shirt to knit. I absolutely love it. It is for teens/smaller women up to 36 bust, but it seems simple enough to change it. I thought maybe I would try and make the boys matching shirts for next year and get them matching pants etc. Kelly will probably hate it, but who knows?

I better get cracking. I am going to try and clean house a little at a time today so I want to stretch it out.

Have a good day everybody!
Faye
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #11  

Good morning, ladies. I'm feeling better now. I'd rather get a little sick from the flu shot than get a full blown case of the flu. With my asthma, it could mean a trip to the hospital.

Faye, Jack will probably get you a new chair for Christmas...lol! I think the matching polo shirts would be cute.

Jean, you just have the best jobs - volleyball game! I couldn't stand the noise anymore.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm going to bed shortly . . . it's been a long day. It's been another misty day in my corner of the world. I'm ready for some sunshine!

"Gma" -- I would be mad about your computer chair too! Hope you are feeling lots better by now. The polo shirts sound like a cute idea for the boys. My total time at the volleyball game was 2 hours. I'm surprised at the number of adults who would fork over $5 and only see part of a game, then leave. I don't think they ever have big crowds so my job was pretty easy.

Susan -- Glad to hear you are feeling better too. I really didn't hear much of the volleyball noise. I did hear the kids sing the national anthem and that was nice since we don't say the pledge any more.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! The week is flying by!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-16-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #13  

Good morning gals! Jack gets to sleep in as he has a cardiologist appt this morning and took a sick day. It is his annual that he was supposed to go to the day before we left on vacation and his authorization has expired, we rebooked, they cancelled and rebooked him again so hopefully he can get it over with today.

Jean: It's too bad the kids parents don't all support the team for the whole game. That is really sad. I always feel for the kids who don't play mainline sports because they don't get much press, or glory from anybody. My great niece is a soccer whiz and I saw she had her pic in the South Bend paper on Sunday. Her school won and they are going to state regionals and that was what the game picture was about.

Susan: After some grumpy grousing about my chair he brought his down, which I don't like and made him take back upstairs. He then said he would buy me one next month after I get back from Indiana. This thing is horrible to sit on. I have been telling him for several months that the gas cartridge was kaput on this thing, but it always went in one ear and out the other. I hate have to get rid of this chair as I really like it.

I leave for Indiana a week from tomorrow and I am very excited. I got a call from my brother who lives on the southwest side of Chicago in the burbs and he wants me to stop and have lunch with him when I drive back home. It will put me into Memphis late, but I don't feel I can say no as I have never even seen his new house, which is something line 5000 square feet!!! He has a set of twins and a surviving triplet all either tweens or the triplet is 14 so he says he has to have the space. They hate the house though! lol Never satisfied!

Guess I will put dishes away. I finished the vest for my sister. I am including the buttons I put on the pockets (apple) and the closure (schoolhouse.) She works for the school system.

Have a good Wednesday!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had my nap in front of the TV and here I am. I suppose I'll be wide awake when I finally go to bed. Another gloomy rainy day down and we're heading for sunshine this weekend!

"Gma" -- I hope Jack had a good checkup. It's hard to find a comfortable chair that fits just right. Some of the chairs at school have arms on them and I feel squished when I sit in them. I like having my elbows free to move -- maybe I'm too short to fit the chair. Your brother has a BIG house! The bigger the more to clean. I hope having lunch with him will work out for you. The vest is lovely and I'm sure your sister will enjoy it.

I need to figure out what I'm wearing tomorrow. I guess it is time to switch my summer/winter clothes around. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow and remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #15  

I don't know whether to say good morning or good evening! I am having my insomnia night and it is too late to take anything so here I sit. I will be yawning by midmorning and probably falling asleep.

This will come as a shock, but I have nothing to knit!!!!! Well not quite true. I have yarn for two sweaters, but don't want to start them until I get back. I wanted to finish anything for Christmas first. Right now I am waiting for yarn for the ratrace scarf to come in. Long explanation, but the stuff I got with the kit is horrible so I ordered some from somewhere else to do it. Tomorrow I am keeping the car to get a haircut and such to go to Indiana so I am going to get yarn to knit up this hat for Jackson for Halloween. This is the apple hat, but you just change colors to make it any fruit that is round so I am getting orange and black so I can make a pumpkin with a black stem. I have green for the leaves. I can't believe I don't have a bit of black for the stem, but the only thing I have is way too thin. I want to take him a present from Nonny so I am going to make this and get him a little toy. I bought him that cute outfit for Halloween so he needs a pumpkin hat.

Jean:My problem is it is still hot here and it is cool in Indiana! So, I have to pack warm and wear cool. I guess I will have to check the weather for cities I will be driving through or just keep a jacket in the car I guess. I am going to wear pants anyway. I have a couple of those stretchy knit rayon outfits I am going to wear to ride to and from in the car. They are really comfortable to drive in and since I am driving alone and will be in the car for long periods, I need comfort.

I guess I should try and go back to bed and go back to sleep for awhile. You all have a good Thursday!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.