Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 215/211/140

Height: 5ft5

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
At this point, I don't think I could be brave enough to go swimming, especially with my size 3 sister. I hate her!
Ha - I know it's crazy how family can be such different shape and sizes - does mean I can't blame my genes. I'm going to try do my exercise dvd tonight: if I'm not feeling to great there's a really short section! My sister's really sporty though. Any general tips for motivating yourself to exercise? I can't be the only one who's not that keen!!
saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #77  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralou View Post
Any general tips for motivating yourself to exercise? I can't be the only one who's not that keen!!
OMG! I h.a.t.e. exercising! The only thing that works for me is to force myslef and not let myself off the hook.

I DVR the daytime shows like the View, Martha, Dr. Phil, etc. and watch while on the treadmill. That helps a bit.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

I am not sure how motivating this is, but we are all looking for the exact same things. I also hate to exercise.

I tried to read on the elliptical.
But I am
A: too uncoordinated
B: too blind (I can't hold the book close enough to see it) and if I leave it on the elliptical the type is too small
C: too lazy - I get distracted and all the sudden it's taking me forever to get my heart rate up cause I am not concentrating!!

So now, when I get on, I turn on the TV and try to forget that I am exercising!!

I am also trying to use more Exercise TV (different videos) - if you have that exercise on demand on your TV, take a look.

Also, exercise that's not boring, like rollerblades or snowshoes (I plan to dig mine out again this winter) or walking outside.
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 215/211/140

Height: 5ft5

Question

I haven't got exercise tv (not sure we have that in England) I've got a little collection of DVD's and I use a pilates thing from YouTube. Only annoying thing is the instructors are so skinny. I know it's supposed to be motivating, but I would rather see the instructor actually struggle a bit. There's a tv presenter here called Davina McCall who does exercise DVDs that are actually pretty good as you can see she's struggling along with you. I do think that you've got to be honest with yourself; if you've never been that into exercise it's not going to just happen is it? Anyone had a turn around from exercise-phobia??

Sorry, I seem to be all about the questions today. I suppose I am yet to be convinced that I really will become someone who exercises regularly but then part of me doesn't believe I'll actually lose all this weight.Quite a conundrum!
saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #80  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermavis View Post
I tried to read on the elliptical.
But I am
A: too uncoordinated
B: too blind (I can't hold the book close enough to see it) and if I leave it on the elliptical the type is too small
C: too lazy - I get distracted and all the sudden it's taking me forever to get my heart rate up cause I am not concentrating!!
I hope I don’t offend when I say this but the mental image I got was hilarious. More than that, the mental image of me trying to read on a treadmill or elliptical was hilarious & frightening.

You know those people who run on the treadmill without holding the rails? How do they do it? I have a friend who runs BACKWARDS on the treadmill because it works “different muscle groups.” Freak!

I can’t walk on the treadmill without holding on. It’s more of a vertigo thing with me. If I don’t hold the rails, I get dizzy and think I’m going to die. It’s not that I’m tired or anything. I just get this freaked out feeling.

The thought of me trying to read a book or magazine on there sends me into a panic!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 200/174/140

Height: 5 foot 9

I have noticed that some forums on here have "challenges" I have to agree, I hate exercise myself! If we could come up with a challenge ourselves, that we are all participating in, it might motivate us!! According to Dr. Oz, we should be taking 10,000 steps a day. I think that translates to 5 miles a day. It is unrealistic for me to track my steps all day long!( I am confined to computer all day at work) I propose a walking challenge, but should we track miles or time? ( 15 miles a week or 5 hours a week?) Let's put our heads together!! Let's put this "challenge" together for the 1st of October 2007!!
Mikeyandres2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #82  
Cindy

A challenge is a great idea! What do you have in mind?

I know I'm not getting anywhere near 10,000 steps a day. I sit in an office all day then I sit in a car.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #83  

Talking

I love the idea of a challenge! Maybe we can start out small like an 8 week challenge with one goal we would like to accomplish in that 8 week period and weekly goals each week of the challenge to help get us there(like drinking more water, exercising a certain number of times per week, etc.). Each person picks their own goals and we report weekly on how we are doing. Just an idea --- we can shape our challenge anyway we want to

Weekly weigh-ins sound like a good (and scary, lol) idea.

Question - does anyone here keep a separate diet/fitness journal? I am also on LiveJournal (am I allowed to say that? ) and have been thinking about starting a diet/fitness blog here but just would like to know who's reading and getting to know people. For those of you with blogs on here do you find them to be interactive?

Last edited by pinkislove; 09-24-2007 at 03:11 PM.
pinkislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #84  

Default Walking Challenge!!

I have found the following walking workout which sounds reasonable:
It is 10 weeks long:

Week 1: 4x per week 35 minutes(2 miles)
Week 2: 4x 35 minutes
Week 3: 4x 39 min (2.25 miles)
Week 4: 5x 43 min (2.5 miles)
Week 5: 5x 47 min (2.75 miles)
Week 6: 5x 51 min (3 miles)
Week 7: 5x 51 min (3.25)
Week 8: 5x 53 (3.5)
Week 9: 5x 56 (3.75)
Week 10: 5x 60 (4)

maintain week 10 for 3 weeks.

Last edited by Mikeyandres2; 09-24-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'6"

Is it too late to join??

I've been reading through the forums on 3FC the past couple days, and I'd love to be part of what you ladies have going on here! It looks like there's been a lot of support already, and it just seems like this challenge will be that much easier to conquer, knowing that we're not going through it alone.

Name: Saris
About you: I'm a 23 year old college student stuck in the midwest! I'll be getting my Psychology degree in December. I can't wait to read REAL books again -- no more textbooks! I love kids and camping (was a camp counselor for 5 years!) and I just got my first ever puppy, Bella, earlier this year.
Why did you join? I need to try something different-- and I think that having a group of friends who can encourage and congratulate us on our journey will make all the difference.
How are you going to achieve your goal? I don't want to overwhelm myself into failure, so I think I'm going to start out pretty simple-- eat healthier foods, eat less "bad" food, and bump up the exercise. I actually really enjoy exercising once I'm doing it-- my problem is motivating myself to get going!

It sounds like this is a great group -- I'm excited to get to know everyone!!
Sarisita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #86  
Cindy

Wohoo! Sarista joins the group.

The more active we are here the more fun it will be.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #87  

If anyone is interested joining this challenge and is just starting out exercising and/or wants to complete a "beginner" program, let me know ( I can post them)...this program starts @ 3x a week/15 mins and ends at 4x week @ 32 mins. There is also an intermediate: 4x week/25 min and ends at 5x @ 50 min. I like this idea since everyone is at different stages, so we all get to participate regardless!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #88  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyandres2 View Post
If anyone is interested joining this challenge and is just starting out exercising and/or wants to complete a "beginner" program, let me know ( I can post them)...this program starts @ 3x a week/15 mins and ends at 4x week @ 32 mins. There is also an intermediate: 4x week/25 min and ends at 5x @ 50 min. I like this idea since everyone is at different stages, so we all get to participate regardless!
I'm in!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #89  

Pinks, I see we have another NY'er here...are you in NYC?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #90  
Cindy

Update! I just went down to the gym here at work where they have a professional scale. The kind you find in a doctor's office. It reads 204.

In a nutshell, I've gained 14 pounds since Sunday morning. Holy crap!!

I guess I'd rather start off with the true number rather than deluding myself. I'll go back and adjust my counter.