Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #61  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralou View Post
I have more good news that I'd like to share - I went swimming yesterday. It's a big deal as I went with my slimmer sister (who is lovely and would never think bad of me for my appearance so any judgement is in my head) and it was great. She goes to a very posh gym so it was fun to use their facilities anyway as they have a steam room/ spa pool/ sauna. We also did a bit in the gym too and she showed me how to do advanced sit-ups on the fitball - it was fun (and very funny when I feel off) We were so busy chatting that I didn't have time to worry about how I looked etc. A good day generally!
That's awesome saralou!! It's little things like that, that make a big difference. At this point, I don't think I could be brave enough to go swimming, especially with my size 3 sister. I hate her!
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 200/174/140

Height: 5 foot 9

Happy Monday To All!!
Monday is also the day that I plan on weighing myself, and boy am I nervous!! I was wondering if we should set a "Weigh-In Day"... like they do @ WW, so let's have a vote on that one. I also want to say Hi to my fellow NYer MotherMavis And welcome to all of you who have joined us too! Cindy, I had encountered that same problem on my LAST attempt at this. I'm not sure of your exercise routine but it could be that the weight gain is caused by muscle. To all of you who have included weight training into your exercise routine..first of all muscle weighs as much as fat (1lb of muscle=1 lb of fat) So if by means of cardio, jogging, we see that the scales have not moved or gained weight, it could be that we have replace some fat for muscle. We also have to understand that muscle is more dense than fat, so even if the scales don't move, you would feel a difference in the way your clothes fit. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. That's a good thing for us!!
I hope I explained this so everyone can understand it ( writing is not my strong subject here! ) This is my second week and the first week the scale did not change. I will face the music and jump on the scales later.
Have a great day all!
Mikeyandres2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #63  
Cindy

Good luck with the scale Mikeyandres2! I'm hiding mine until Sunday.

I've been obsessing about the 5 pounds all morning. The only thing I did different on Sunday is I didn't drink lots of water. Normally, I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

Here's something fun that will make you feel like a cow... I work in a secure facility. Our floors are hollow because of cableing, etc. Every time I get up to get water or tea, you can hear me a mile away, clomping along on the hollow floors. Sounds like an earthquake!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #64  
Cindy

Oh, I forgot. I vote yes for an "official" weigh in day.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

Height: 5'7"

An official weigh day would be good. I need to get out of the habit of weighing every day (it can be depressing!).
Augustchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #66  

Cindy,
just so you know, I requested to add you as a friend on myspace.com, so if you see me, Melissa (mikeyandres2) that's who it is! * The only pic I have of me on their is about 1.5 years old...that's was my last attempt at dieting and had lost 30 lbs! ( of course I HAD to gain 40 lbs back....)
Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #67  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyandres2 View Post
Cindy,
just so you know, I requested to add you as a friend on myspace.com, so if you see me, Melissa (mikeyandres2) that's who it is! * The only pic I have of me on their is about 1.5 years old...that's was my last attempt at dieting and had lost 30 lbs! ( of course I HAD to gain 40 lbs back....)
Awesome! I'll get on there later today.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

I'm good with an official day. I had been using Friday, but maybe Monday would be better, then we can use that for motivation to be good on the weekend.
I did have a beer yesterday! I could have drank the whole 18 pack DH has in the fridge.

Hey Melissa, you are in the Hamptons? We are upstate, near the Saratoga/Lake George area. Go Yankees!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #69  
Cindy

Did anybody watch Bobby Flay's Throw-down last night? It was a puffy taco throw-down and OMG, did I want one!

It got me thinking, if you could have anything to eat today with no consequences, what would it be?

I'll take a large Mineos pizza! Best pizza ever. If you're in Pittsburgh, try it!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #70  

MotherMavis:
It must be beautiful up there this time of year! I went to Saratoga Springs last fall to see the fall foliage...the leaves haven't changed on the Island yet I've been looking forward to it! It's good to have a Yankees fan here!
Glad to see everyone responding to a weigh-in day.I myself had a terrible weekend. I find that the weekends are hardest for me, it's easier to when I'm working so that I have my lunch and that's it.

To All You Mothers Out There- How are you dealing dinnertime?
Since I am have been cooking healthier meals, I find the the kids are NOT crazy about this at all. But I have tried (and failed) with making them a meal and myself a seperate meal. So my question is-how are you all dealing with this? Are you doing the 2 meals or making the lifestyle change for the whole family?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #71  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyandres2 View Post
To All You Mothers Out There- How are you dealing dinnertime? Since I am have been cooking healthier meals, I find the the kids are NOT crazy about this at all. But I have tried (and failed) with making them a meal and myself a seperate meal. So my question is-how are you all dealing with this? Are you doing the 2 meals or making the lifestyle change for the whole family?
Hmmm. My kids are older. I have a daughter who is just about to turn 17 and a son who is 20 and in college. My son is only home on the weekends so it's just me and my daughter during the week. I think it's considerably harder to manage with smaller kids. For the most part, we eat differently so I have to plan accordingly.

When my kids were younger and I was still married and dieting, I made the family meal and my meal. It's sometimes hard to manage but planning ahead is a big help.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Cindy,
I'm not up on Bobby Flay's, is it a Food TV show? It sounds yummy regardless!!

My kids are the same ages as yours, 2 boys , one who is almost 20 and in his 2nd year of college, but this semester is living home and commuting, #2 is almost 17.

Melissa, little kids are tough, do they like it any better if they can help? That used to work with my older, he liked anything he had helped make! Also sometimes I would adapt less than other, like if they were having chicken, I might shake and bake theirs and just bake mine at the same time, covered in salsa. (My fave food) If they had broccoli w cheese (the only way they or DH eat it, I would just pull mine out before I put the cheese on.

If they are having food from a box, (mine used to love mac & cheese, spaghettios etc), then you may need to make something else.

The other thing I like, if your budget allows is frozen dinners. (I know when my guys were little I was a SAHM and my budget was really, really tight! )
Some of them aren't bad. I buy them for work lunch alot, can get them for $2 or so on sale so I can lunch all week for $10, I just bring snacks from home.

On a happier note, yes, it is gorgeous up here, but the colors are just starting. They say they may be less vivid this year because it's been so dry. So far, that looks like it may be true.

Everyone else!! I love that our thread is getting busier, this is so much fun!! And it keeps my hands out of the fridge!!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #73  

Height: 5'9"

I've been using Friday, too, as my weight in day. But, I can just give my weight in results from the most recent Friday on whatever day we're using. I don't think it will make a huge difference.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #74  
Cindy

Bobby Flay is on the Food Network. I think I'm a glutton for punishment. I watch the Food Network at night, salivating.

I totally agree with what mavis said. I think you can cook the family meal and adapt yours to be more diet friendly.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 215/211/140

Height: 5ft5

I'd be happy to give my most recent weigh info on Monday too - it's a good plan!
saralou is offline   Reply With Quote