Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #1  
KAR

Default Tops

Hi I thought I would just take the leap and be the first one to start the TOPS thread. Hope I get other TOPS members to join me here. Well I will be waiting to see what kind of response I get. Hope to meet another TOPS members soon! Have a great day!
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Hi ... I've been a TOPS member for two years and have lost almost 60 pounds in that time. I'm in between groups, as the one I was going to was by my old job and it became a hassle when I started working on the other side of the city. I'm planning to check out a new group close to my home this week.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #3  
KAR

Hi Phantastica,
I have been a TOPS member for the last 4 years. I have been the co-leader for two and half of those years. Now I am the weight recorder. I love the support I get from going to TOPS.
That is great about the 60 pounds lost. Congrats on the weight loss! I had lost 35 pounds and gained it back. So now I am working really hard to take those 35 pounds off and more. I am not going to backslide again. It is so hard the second time around to take off those pounds. They sure are stubborn. LOL I hope you can find a group closer to your current job?
Have a great day!
Kerry
Old 07-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi, I'm Emily. Thanks for starting this thread. I joined TOPS a few months ago when I decided WW was not for me, but knew I needed some sort of real-life support/accountability group. It's been great. I only found out about it by digging around on the internet though...I don't think it gets much publicity. I told a friend on the East Coast and she had no idea they existed either and joined hers.

I am not doing the TOPS plan, but just go for the support. I've lost 25 lbs since joining TOPS, and 37 lbs in all. Of course, I have a long way to go.

It's nice to "meet" y'all. Phantastica...congrats on the 60lbs!! That's awesome! I hope the new group is a good fit for you. Kerry, I lost 50lbs a few years ago (ok, 10 yrs), then gained it back and then some. It does seem harder the second time around! But this will be the last time!!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #5  
KAR

Emily glad you were able to find us. I think that together we can take off those stubborn regained pounds and look forward to living a healthier lifestyle. You are so right about TOPS not getting the right publicity that it deserves. Glad you were able to help out your friend on the East Coast.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #6  
KAR

I forgot to ask earlier. Does any of your clubs run contest and if so what are they? Currently my club is holding one called "Lose Your Booty and get the Treasure's". We are holding it for six weeks. Everyone who wants to be in it, had to weigh in the night that it started. Then bring in a small gold or silver item to place in the treasure chest. Then in August we will see who has lost the most weight and give them the treasure chest. Since I sell Avon, I got a really cute silver necklace for trying out one of the new perfumes that Avon came out with and donated that. I am really hoping to in be in the running for the treasure chest this time around. Since I havn't come close to ever winning a contest since I started TOPS four years ago.
Have great evening!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #7  
KAR

Morning everyone,
Just wanted to wish everyone a great week! I have my weigh-in tomorrow evening. Hoping for some good news. When does everyone have weigh-in?
TOPS Hugs,
Kerry
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #8  
KAR

Where is my fellow TOPS pals?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR73 View Post
Where is my fellow TOPS pals?

I'm here Kar!! I joined TOPS three weeks ago. I have belong to TOPS in the past and did really well, which is why I've rejoined now. I need all the support and motivation I can get.

I'm a bit of a talker and being overweight has made me a diet expert of course. So, I seemed to have volunteered to come up with a fun challenge for the group and have promised to do a program in the next couple of weeks. I'm happy to be able to jump in and get involved. The joy of being my age is that shyness isn't really an issue anymore.

I look forward to getting to know the TOPS members here and would be really interested in if we could get our own challenge going.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #10  
KAR

That sounds great Pita! What kind of challenge would you like to do? Glad you could come join me. It has been really lonely here for the last couple of days. LOL
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

I'm here! Haven't been able to check out the groups in my area yet. There are a few right by my house, as well as one or two by my work. I'd prefer a smallish group near my home, on a Thursday night. I had Monday-night weigh-ins for too long - weekends always messed that up. LOL.

In the meantime, I'm doing what I know works best for me: vegetable-intensive lunches, breakfasts at home, and light dinners. Some nights, I have dates or go out to dinner with friends, so I'm struggling with finding the right mix of food for enjoyment without breaking the calorie bank. I'm exercising 5x a week - just cardio right now - at a gym before work.

Pita, can you describe your challenge?

Kar, how was your weigh-in?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #12  
KAR

Hi Phantastica and Pita,
Well my weigh-in didn't go how I would have liked it too. I gained a pound. But that is alright. I have worked harder this week to watch what I eat and have worked out 4 times so far. Getting ready to workout again.
Phantastica, I hope that you will be able to check out some groups by your house soon. I know when I don't go to meetings, the accountablility messes me up and I usually end up gaining. Sounds like you are staying on track even without a TOPS group right now. That is great about the cardio workouts too! Keep up the great work!
Pita, how are you working on losing your weight? I am just eating smaller portions, lots of fruits and veggies, and grilled items. I have cut out pop to one glass a week. Don't eat junk food or sweets. Plus I drink lots and lots of unsweetened iced tea and water.
Well I need to get my big butt in gear for the day and do my workout. Plus I need to pick up my paycheck from work before noon or they mail them. Kind of need the money too bad to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get it in the mail.
Have a great Friday!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #13  
Live with Intention

Good morning

Kerry don't beat yourself up over the gain. I had my weigh-in last night and was a little upset that I gained a pound and a half. But I know my eating and exercise have been great all week. I started TOM yesterday right before the meeting and I'm blaming that fun little curse on my weight gain.

My eating plan is to stick to the healthiest foods possible. I eat lots of veggies, fruits, lean meats, low fat dairy, whole wheat, walnuts, tea and coffee, and a ton of water. I work out 4 days a week at Curves and do my own thing a couple of days at home with an exercise ball and resistance bands. I weigh everything I eat and keep track of what I eat on Fitday. I joined this board and then TOPS for support and accountability.

I began this way of eating and living over a year and half ago but have fallen to my old ways many, many times. Hence why I'm not thin yet! I read the YOU: on a diet book by the Oprah doctors and loved the common sense approach that I already believed in. Something also really clicked inside me. I got a brand new life at 40 and it is beyond my dreams. The only thing clingy to me and pulling me back to my past is this lousy weight issue. I'm sick of it!! So on July 1st I declared it my Independence Day and so far I feel great. Mentally my head is here and ready to do this. It's an everyday battle and I can't let go of my determination for a moment. I will be thin, healthy, and sexy in the year 2008!!

As for the challenge, I don't have one in mind really. I just think it will be good for us to have something to focus on in addition to everything else we are doing. Some sort of short term goal we can work for maybe? I'll think on it.

Have a fantastic day. I got to go get the coffee started and get my butt on that exercise ball.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #14  
KAR

Evening Pita and Phantastica,
Hope you both had a fantastic day! My day was okay. My stepsons' brought over an unexpected guest with them today. So they acted up all day long to show off for their friend. That made things tense between the hubby and me all day long. Every time I went to use the computer or watch something on tv, I got beaten to it by one of them. So I was never so glad to go work this evening. But because of me being in a bad mood all day long, it made for one long night at work. I was never so glad to see 10 p.m. roll around. But I did eat healthy today. So in all the stress I was under I was able not to succumb to being an emotional eater. I think that is a first in a long time. I ate a small bowl of Cherrios this morning. For lunch, we took the kids to Wendy's. Well everyone feasted on hamburgers and fries, I ate a grilled chicken sandwich and a baked potato. Then for dinner tonight, I drank a Slim-Fast shake on my 5 minute break. I also had two snacks today. A dozen baby carrots before going to work. Then on my last break of the evening, I ate a Slim-Fast Peanut Butter Cookie bar. This seemed to help eating like this today. That way I was not starving to death by the time I came home, like I was last night.
So what are your big plans for the weekend? I have to work in the morning from 9 to 2. Then I am going to enjoy the rest of my day off. I might try and go see a few of my sds' ballgames tomorrow afternoon. They are playing in a local tournment in my town.
Well I better go and get some rest. Have a great evening!
Take care,
Kerry
Old 07-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #15  
Live with Intention

Good morning!

I just finished my high fiber breakfast and am on my second cup of chai tea. I'll start in on the coffee soon.

Yesterday, we had a long day. My daughter flew home from spending the last 2 months with her dad down in Orlando. It is a two hour drive to the Atlanta airport from where we live and her plane got delayed two hours do to lightening in Florida. Not the most fun way to spend an afternoon.

Once we finally got back to town we were all starving and she wanted Olive Garden. I was very proud of myself for sticking to the Venetian apricot chicken with veggies (480 calories and tasty!), low fat dressing on the salad, no bread, and only one glass of red wine. Normally, it would have been a huge plate of Alfredo and all the breadsticks I could devour.

I got up at 2:00 am and weighed and was thrilled to see the scales at 235. This morning the scales still read the same, so, I put myself a little cheerleader in my sig announcing my happy news.

Today, I have some work to do for my college courses, get the kid unpacked and wash up all her dirty clothes, and go out for coffee with our best buds later this afternoon. Looks like rain here and for that I'm very thankful!!

I hope everyone has a lovely day and remains focused on your goals!