Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #16  

Hi, ladies.

Faye, it's only my sewing room that I can stand messy - the rest of the house is neat and clean. I really hate clutter of any kind.

Good idea to check out Consumer Reports - thanks, Jean!

Stan's procedure went well so we are now officially done with Vascular Dr.

I have 2 quilt shows to go to this weekend. We also have to get a new fridge - ours is starting to not be as cold as I want it, still safe but it is old. I'm going for a freezer on the bottom this time. I wanted to get a stove with the controls on the front. I worry about Stan reaching across the burners. The only one I could find in electric with the front controls was $1200 which is about 3 times what I'm willing to pay. It's not like he cooks a lot. Sometimes on the weekend he'll fry an egg if I'm not up when he wants to eat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #17  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am proud of myself . . . no nap in front of the TV tonight! Tomorrow night may be another story however. It was a nice day again today; it got quite dark midafternoon and cooled down. I thought sure we would get some rain, but the sun came out again and stayed out. It's dark at 8:00! It won't be long and it will be dark at 5:00. It seems like it always gets darker quicker in the fall than lighter in the spring for some reason. I must confess . . . my furnace is running tonight! It was 46 degrees and I was just plain chilly. Of course Bob told me to put a sweatshirt on, but the thermostat was closer.

"Gma" -- Each Sunday has "special" music of some sort. We play the 2nd Sunday, Bob's group sings the 3rd, the choir sings 3 out of 4 Sundays, and the other Sundays usually have a soloist or musician of some sort. For a long time we never played at 2nd service because we weren't "jazzy" enough for the contemporary powers-to-be. Our director plays the keyboard for 2nd service and she is behind having us play both. I'm the vocal one in the group and they all know I don't like playing 2nd service because we always go to first service. One gal even had the nerve to say that the director should make up a list of who has to stay and put bells away after 2nd service. If we play right away I always leave and take my bells and book with me. The gal who plays the HUGE big bells leaves with me because she goes to first service also and then teaches an adult Sunday School class afterwards, but she doesn't take her bells -- too many and she plays in front where I play in the back. I always go early and help set up tables, put the pads on, drag out the table cloths, and get the music out so I don't feel the least bit guilty about leaving and letting the late comers (said lady with list idea) put stuff away. The clincher is that there are several who have no husbands, husbands who have had back surgery and can't help, or husbands who don't go to our church so they never show up to help. Bob always helps put stuff away when we play first service. Bob felt well enough to help haul beans to the elevator this week! He is still coughing though.

Susan -- We just bought a bottom freezer refrigerator. I do like it BUT you don't have as much freezer space because you can't pack things "high" or the drawers won't close. I like the wide door shelves but you lose refrigerator shelf space because of it. I'm seriously thinking about going back to a freezer on top model. With the glass shelves and the drawers going clear to the floor, it seems like there is alot more room, and you can see everything. We had a new top freezer refrigerator in our cabin, this summer, when we were in MN. Are you looking at a smooth top stove?

I need to pick up some clutter and head to bed. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow. Remember to smile!

Jean -- and in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-13-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #18  

Good morning ladies! Hope you are well this Friday end of week. I was up at 11 PM not being able to sleep then didn't go back to bed until nearly 3 so I slept in until nearly 7. I have to downstairs to clean today again. Boy, it sure seems to come around fast! Have any of you watched the BBCA program "How Clean is your House?" UGH, the way those people live. I am like Susan and can't stand clutter at all, but these people are disgusting. I enjoy the show because of the one lady, Kim Washburn. She is a hoot. It is nice to see the houses all cleaned, but it has to really irk them when they go back a couple weeks later and the people have started mucking them up again. I have seen that a couple times. That's just plain laziness.

Susan: I hope you weren't thinking I thought you were a slob or something. I just was amused that you felt you could find stuff in her sewing room when it was cluttered better than when is was all straightened. I would love to have a knitting room. My storage for leftover yarn has become at a premium now. I have been putting it in the three big drawers I have under my coffee table, but all three are full now, one with unused yarn, one with leftovers and the other with unused and my needles and my free patterns folder, which is crammed full. I have my knitting books on the shelf in the entertainment center. The condo is beginning to feel too small for us!

Jean: Leave it to the lazy ones to come up with an idea to get out of work. When Jack was a deacon and had communion duty, he would get stuck with clean up as everyone seemed to disappear after church. I would always help him get everything put away. Thank goodness we used disposable cups or we would still be cleaning them. The gold plated communion trays and cup holders all had to be cleaned before being put away along with all the supplies and such and the communion table had to be put back like it was, ie the big Bible, flowers, etc. I always thought it was so thoughtless for the men to do that to him. He usually did the set up too if I remember correctly and he was the SS superintendent and had pre-Sunday School duties so we usually had to arrived at the church 45 minutes early so we could get the communion stuff done and get the stuff ready for SS. He also taught an adult class so he had those preps.

We have to pick T up at 7:30 tomorrow morning so no lie in for us I guess. I can't wait to see him. The movie he wanted to see isn't at even the cheap theaters here so we have to see something else or do something else. We may go play PuttPuttt and he is going to bring over board games for us to play. He loves to play games. He comes over so infrequently that I don't have a lot of board games for him. I think we have a Jr Scrabble, which I know he likes to play. The stupid things have gotten so expensive. It used to be something you could buy for a kid's birthday party, but now sheesh.

Guess this isn't getting the chores done and the work started. Have a good Friday and a great weekend everyone!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #19  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm doing another "no nap" evening. TA DA! If I sat still for very long I could probably fall asleep without much trouble. It has been a chilly/cold/windy day in my corner of the world. It was 41 degrees at 6 AM -- TOO COLD for this time of year! School was good again today. I'm waiting for things to fall apart but so far so good.

"Gma" -- I haven't seen the program you mentioned. I maintain that today's generation isn't into "clean" like we are. I need to do some deep cleaning and more pitching! I got stuck having card club in December so will have to plan ahead for decorating. Over the past few years I have put less and less out. One of the gals decorates every room . . . not this chick! We've been asked to serve communion and since I don't like the "rip 'n dip" method we haven't done so. We used to have communion about once every 4 months or on special church recognition Sundays. Now it is every month on the first Sunday. I'm usually busy that Sunday! Jack, and you, were good sports to get the communion things ready as well as take on Sunday School. It's the same old story of the more one does the more one is expected to do. Have fun with Thomas tomorrow . . . I know you will!

I get to stay home this weekend and I am excited! Bob, Jason, and Ian are going to close down the cabin tomorrow. Bob will bring the boat home, but we'll have to go back up and get MIL's car before the snow flies.

Have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-14-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote