Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #16  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

The horrible snow cat? Well Carla, not only do you find cool pictures but the captions for your pictures just blow me away. So clever and so themed to our threads.

As for my kitty, wish I could make the picture bigger because the cat is obviously not happy wearing a babooshka. The caption is "ALMS FOR THE POOR, KIND SIR?" which doesn't show well on the reduced avatar. I figured a cat with a "hat" of sorts was appropriate for the cold.

As for braving the cooler weather of Alaska - thanks but no thanks. I'd love to see the beauty via a train car like Shad but to live in that cold world now, no can do. The joints and everything else just protest too much. Have a good time at the cottage Carla - moderation on the wine, ok

Ceejay - gosh how depressing for you. Especially when I'm sure you just barely crawled through these last days just to get to some time off. You are a good person not to make a fuss, no matter how tired you are.

That's good news that they caught the Ontario killer. Now you just have to dodge the regular wierdos.

Painter, I do admit I was amused at how many products people were able to spot in your pantry. Lessee - what's in my fridge at the moment? Low fat milk, Dasani waters, Coca Cola and Root Beer sodas, 2 shelves of various condiments, some Banana and Coconut FUSE brand drinks that DH loves. A drawer full of all sorts of shredded cheeses, 14 LF yogurts (I know the exact count because DH accused me of having over 20 in there and I just had to show him NOT ), a zillion salad dressing bottles, a crisper drawer full of all kinds of veggies ranging from just picked crisp to hmm better use these in a stir fry soon , a large bowl of blueberries, a container of left over steel cut oats that I keep forgetting to eat for breakfast, half of a wrap with turkey, brie and sliced apple left over from lunch the other day and finally a small drawer containing numerous bags of deli meat and cheeses - this is DH's stash so I don't go there much except to occasionally route out the old stuff. So I have a mix of good for you / bad for you stuff like anyone.

Mel - you just have to do what you need to do to make yourself comfortable. No sense in putting up with someone's perfume if it's going to make you miserable for weeks. If people don't understand, well that's just too bad. Do you have to be careful with soaps and deodorants and shampoos for yourself for the same reason? Now I understand why your occasional jaunts out might be so troublesome.

Shad, I was looking for some hands on Excel training classes and stumbled upon one in Perth. I thought, gee if I can swing this, can go and visit Shad. Unfortunately it was not as well received as I thought it should be :s I think you'll get more out of running than using exercise videos. Do the running for the cardio, stretch with the yoga and tone the core with the pilates you remember and you should have a good all around work out. Are you going home this weekend?

Madcat - welcome back. The bike ride sounds great though even that is tough if the air is thick and humid. I guess you have to rise at sun up. Good luck with that. I'm so glad that your sister is responding well to her treatments. I'll bet she's spunky like you!

Well lunch is about over. Back to month end reports. My work partner is not here today and it's nice and quiet - hoping to tear though the afternoon so I can get some pool time after work. It's very hot out there right now.

Hellos to Meadow and Holly and Linus who is probably wondering where we all went See yah chicks...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #17  
Radiate self!

Default Thursday in August

I moved some curtains lower and now I have to fill the previous holes and paint. Decided the big chunks out of the hallway (canister vacuum) might as well been seen to as well. Different colour of paint, of course... I should have just painted everything white :P Hotter than anything here. No storms to keep us out of the pool. A few mosquito bites. I've been making the kids frappucinos with fruit and icecubes which they love. We made a peach/blueberry today. My sisters are coming up this weekend. We are all very excited.

Ceejay-sorry to hear you are still working and not easing into the pillows deeper. I hope your boss knows how wornout this is making you.

Mel-be mindful of the scents and dust. Have you been wearing your sandles? Any more toe worshipers? Thank you for our new home, super cool!

Carla-have a great time at the cottage, moderation my dear Enjoy the water in the lake, mind the fishies. I swam in a lake which had otters in it once, they kept peeking up a few yards away at us, it was great but kind of creepy in a movie horror sort of way... what lurks beneath

Shad-did you have many meetings? I hope you get to enjoy your runs and the weather stays calm. Rising steam, wow, that's an image

Happy-don't allow the storms to get you I know you must be frustrated by not getting in the pool. It sucks when plans get thwarted. Your grilling dinner sounds very yummy. I wish I was that organized.

Madcat-be careful out and about on your bike in this heat. I hope you have a drink with you. Nice to hear your sister is finished her chemo and work on her recovery without the constant back and forth to the hospital. I hope she sees this as a fight she can win and is staying focused on getting through this. Best of good energy!

Holly-you can go outside now and enjoy the summer! That was scary having that guy out there, I saw a pic of him on tv, cold character.

PainterWoman-my cupboards have never looked that tidy. Beautiful. I could not tell what anything was. I hope you are feeling optimistic and empowered.

Hello missing chicks

Last edited by Meadow; 08-02-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #18  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

(Courtesy of Chatelaine Magazine August 2007)

No one will ever know this stir fry sauce was not made from scratch!

Ingredients:
· 340 g package frozen peeled uncooked shrimp

· 2 peppers, 1 orange and 1 red

· 2 cups (500mL) sugar-snap peas or snow peas, strings removed

· ½ cup (125mL) stir-fry sauce, preferable Kikkoman

· 2 cups baby spinach

Directions:
1. Defrost shrimp following package directions. Pat dry with paper towels. Slice peppers into long strips. Prepare peas. Lightly coat a large, wide frying pan with oil and set over high heat. When hot, add shrimp. Stir often just until shrimp begin to turn pink, 2 min.

2. Then add peppers, peas and sauce. Stir frequently until peppers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach just until wilted. Excellent over rice noodles.

Makes 4 servings

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-02-2007 at 08:01 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #19  
Happy September

WAKE UP SHADDIE
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #20  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Perhaps all the worker bees in Ceejays plant should go off to the medical centre with stress related conditions. Seems to me that they are taking advantage of good natured people here.

Mel thinks I am a bad influence on Canada. I'm shattered - or should that be Shad-dered? Good going on the eyes and skin. Hope there will be a reasonable outcome from that soon. It seems that more and more of us are becoming allergic to the world around us. Personally, I am glad that I won't be around long enough to see the final outcome. As far as I can make out - unless some woman steps up to the plate and says enough is enough, then the outcome will not be good. Men have had thousands of years to get it right and they still haven't achieved anything near halfway!

Whole raft of new avatars appearing on the scene. Why is Carla's cat le chat horrible??? Looks quite reasonable to me.

Madcat has a running cat - seems she's up for the challenge again. Happy's cat is hiding under a scarf and looks cute but not too happy with the headgear! Mel's got dancing penguins and mine is the same as it has been for the past 5 years or so.

Mel with the activity going on on this thread at the moment, maybe it should have been called Active Alaska.

Nothing new in my neck of the woods. I didn't exercise this morning - or rather didn't do structured exercise. I packed a few things in a case and wheeled it down the street, tidied the house and did some cleaning before coming to work. That will have to do for today. I may dash uptown at lunch for some new gym shoes. That could be a goer.

Speaking of goer - I'd better get going and do some work. Sometime, someplace on this project, I'd better deliver some product for which I am paid.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #21  

I'm awake, while I was typing away here and entertaining the folks around me, you lot were being faster on the fingers.

Yes I am going home. Have my red suitcase beside my desk. Have my computer with all the photos loaded ready for the webshots, just waiting for 3.00pm to arrive so I can rock off to the airport and wait for my plane.

I'm going home - oooooh yeah. I'm going home - oooooh yeah. I'm going home, home, home YEAH!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #22  
Smackin' into a Wall

Sittin' in a railway station, got a ticket for my destination... Ah a Bit of S&G for a sultry evening for Shad. Still stinkin' hot here. They say this was the worst day of the heat wave and all I can say is I hope so. It ain't the heat, kids, it's the humidity!

Funny thing happened to us today. I bought tickets to go to this variety / burlesque show down at the waterfront for tonight but when we got there they couldn’t find our tickets at the box office. When I checked our confirmation I noticed the tickets are actually for NEXT Thursday. D’oh! So we went for dinner at the same restaurant at the waterfront where Shad, Holly, The Dear Boy and I ate in June. It was nice. It is marginally cooler at the water. Or at least there is a hot breeze.

Mel~ You are right. The front page of that one site is very soothing. I like the approach that includes easy prep. Way to set the bar high for us, our friend. Avoid those smellies. Yeah, you may have to just push back. What’s wrong with people’s normal smell that they have to marinate in scent? Ok – don’t answer that!

Shad~ You want to emigrate to Canada, and we’ll happily take you. There seems to be a lot of work kicking around from what I hear… and we have a very big mining industry, and, hey, SAP is a universal evil! Don’t listen to Mel – I think you’d be a good influence I’d like to join the challenge too. I think I’ll aim for 5 lbs by the end of the month. I plan to do it by eschewing junk, eating more veggies during the day and getting 5 workouts in (in one form or another) each week.

Carla~ Sorry you are having tech twitches. If manufacturers could just agree on ONE standard for all of this kind of stuff life would be much easier. And yes, my sister is one of “those”. She was stilling running 8 to 10 K whenever she wasn’t too tired… and she was all bent out of shape because her doctor told her she couldn’t run a half marathon until she had finished the treatments. Honestly I think it is less that she is a fanatic and more that she is holding on to running as a sign of having a “normal life”. It is her way of spitting into the face of illness. I admire her. Good for you reaching for your challenge goals.

Happy~ Bummer about swimming being called due to weather. My mom always used to make us get out of the lake at the first sign of lightning too. Nice try in attempting to wrangle that training course in Perth. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t go for it. Your fridge sounds like mine… though I have more condiments!

Ceejay~ Sorry about your work stresses. Does this mean you don’t get that long weekend. We here in Ontario will loan you ours.

Meadow~ Once again, great graphics! And yep, I always carry water with me. I was tempted to stop and get a second bottle today. Hope you have a lovely time with your family around you. Do you guys get a long weekend this weekend? I can never remember with provinces get one and which don’t.

Ok, I have gabbed enough. I am going to post this and then go watch the Argos struggling to actually win a football game with no healthy Quarterbacks.

Hi to all!!
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #23  

You gals are great.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #24  
Choose your hard

Morning chicks,

Sleepy reporting in here so glad tomorrow is Saturday and I can sleep in tho I'm going to try and make it not too late...

What a busy crew you are. Safe trip home Shad of the red suitcase, tho you are probably there already at the moment. Looking forward to seeing your vacation pics.

Thank you for the lovely New Day poem Mel. We occasionally need to be reminded to treasure each day and that one hit the spot.

Humming Simon and Garfunkel thanks to Madcat. Have a good weekend. Hope you get some nice playtime in with the DH.

Great graphics Meadow - loved the cat and the water scenes are just gorgeous. Have a good time with your sister this weekend.

I'm hoping to get out a bit earlier today and get home around 5:30 so I can go in the pool. The weather is predicted to be hot and sunny for the next 2 weeks with very little rain in sight. Means that DH has to do some extra watering. I'm going to give the trees and bushes up by the pool a drink tomorrow - hard to get the hose all the way over there but I can connect 2 together I suppose.

Well the sooner the day gets started, the sooner I can end it so I'm off. Happy Friday everyone!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I was told this morning that I have a day off tomorrow.

Shad--we are filling in for a sick co-worker.

Happy--Enjoy the pool.

Madcat--thanks for the offer of extra day's off. I'll make it. Work just gets a little boring. I don't have the time to take care of myself.

It's time to catch up on the paper work. Was mentally tired yesterday.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #26  

Morning all,
Been to the gym this morning and did a run on the treadmill. Guess I will have to go back again tomorrow and do it all over again. Then I went shopping and got some new pants and some new jammies. Wasn't in the mood for shopping so I guess that was good news for my bank account. Flight home was long and uneventful, cattle class squash as per normal. I was so pleased when the lights of Brissie came into view. The cat was pleased to see me home. She stayed with me all night. Under the covers round the body out of the covers sit on my head wash my paws kind of love. Finally I had to tell her to settle down or get off she was keeping us both awake.

Off to upload photos, back later.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #27  
Choose your hard

Madcat, every time I look at your avatar I giggle. Thanks for the smile.

Shad - it just wouldn't be you without your avatar. It's a tribute to love and loyalty. Don't even think about changing it.

Well summer is here in Memphis - and around the country it seems. Temps hit 100 degrees today and are supposed to hold more of the same over the weekend and into next week. Great as we have 4,000 pounds of stone to relocate. I should have gone to bed an hour ago. Going to try and get up at 6 am so I can at least get in 2 hours of moving chunks tomorrow. I daresay by 10am it's just going to be too darn hot to be doing that kind of work.

DH took kitty to the vet today. Poor baby. The doc gave her shots for rabies and thinks she may have allergies and gave her a shot for that. Various other necessary but undignified procedures were performed on poor kitty. She's quite hating the DH at the moment. She did let me cuddle up with her and pet her for a bit - says I give the bestest kitty massages in the neighborhood. I suppose after this we won't be able to count on her helping up haul the rocks across the yard.

So if I'm to get up at 6 I should be getting to bed now. I'll probably check back later Saturday night. Stay cool except for Shad who's sitting in her woolies.

Will touch base later. Love to the rest of the chicks...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #28  
Happy September

MEADOW~ LOVED THE PICS AS I ALWAYS DO. I MUST BE A VISUAL PERSON . HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH SIS. STILL SWIMMING??

MADCAT~ THE AVATAR IS TOO FUNNY! I FEEL THAT WAY THIS MORNING DINNER ON THE WATERFRONT SOUNDS DIVINE....ROMANTIC EVEN. THAT IS WITH THE DH...NOT HOLLY AND SHAD HOPE YOU NAVE A GOOD TIME NEXT WEEK! rofl:

CEEJAY~ ENJOY THE TIME OFF!! RELAX AND READ A GOOD BOOK...RO A BAD BOOK BUT JUST RELAX!!

SHAD~ WELCOME HOME!! I AM SURE SUNDAY IS THRILLED!! HAS IT RAINED YET?? SENDING HUGS...HOPE YOU GET A BIT OF DOWN TIME ALSO. ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!! AT LEAST THERE IS NO TFG THIS JOB .....

HAPPY~ BABOOSHKAS! I WAS LAUGHING OUT LOUD! TOO FUNNY! HOPE THE WEEKEND BRING SOME R&R FOR YOU AS WELL. YOU GALS HAVE BEEN BUSY CHICKS THIS WEEK.

CARLA~ HOW IS OUR SISTER IN THE NORTH AS WELL?? ALSO HOW IS THE NEIGHBOR? HOPE SHE IS MAKING A LIFE OF HER OWN BY NOW.

I AM VERY TIRED TODAY. FOOD SHOPPED UESTERDAY BUT BEFORE I EVEN LEFT WE HAD A DEAD TENANT, A LEAK THAT WENT DOWN 3 FLOORS AND ONE MAN LEFT IN MAINTENANCE. SEEMS LIKE VACATIONERS ARE RUNNING AMOK!! I CAME HOME TO THE SAME MESS. STORED THE PERISHABLES AND WENT TO WORK. HOW CAN YOU RUN AN OFFICE WHEN NO ONE IS HERE? DO I HAVE TO WEILD SPANNERS NOW AS WELL AGAIN? ONE TENANT HAD THE NERVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT ME TO THE OFFICE....SEEMS SHE RANG MY BELL AT 11:30 THE OTHER NIGHT AND I DIDN'T ANSWER. SHE WAS FORCED TO CALL THE EMERGENCY BEEPER NUMBER AND WAS INCENSED! THE KNOCK HAD AWAKEN ME BUT I WAITED TO SEE IF IT WAS A DREAM BEFORE I GOT OUT OF BED AND SHE NEVER KNOCKED AGAIN.....ZZZZZZZZZ
TOO BAD! WE'RE HAVING SOME REAL PEAS SOUPY WEATHER HERE. 90'S AND HUMID AND SMELLY INVERTED ATMOSPHERES. PU!!! NO RIDES FOR ME NOW.
I GUESS THAT'S ENOUGH COMPLAINING FOR ONE MORNING. I'LL LET YOU LOT GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE CAN'T EXPECT YOU TO SIT HERE ALL DAY READING DRIVEL...
HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #29  

Happy-you were up late. That is a lot of stone!!!!YIKES!! I need to water here but haven't. All my perennials are shrivelling up.

Mel- has been the recipe guru and motivation provider this week!!!

Shad- glad you are home! LOL about Sunday.

Carla- are you home Thanksgiving weekend. I am wondering if a trip east is in the cards for me.

Miss Meadow- How is the hair?? Maybe I should paln a trip west too * grins*.

Madcat- good news for your sister. I went to a benefit last Friday night for a friend who has been battling cancer for over a year. A few rounds of chemo and surgery. He looked so great and his spirirts were fab. I truly believe that is the key to beating it. He very clamly stated. I am not going to die from this. His girl friend said that has been his focus all along.

CJ_ hope you are enjoying a day off!!!

PW- I wish my whole house was as organized as your pantry.

It is only 15C right now , only going up to 28C!!

I am feeling quite happy. It is kind of bubbling over.
My coffee tastes particularily yummy too.

The usual scramble here. Soccer, housework, Avon, might water the gardens....... We are leaving at 8am tomorrow for our Toronto trip!!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #30  
Choose your hard

Morning chicks,

I see your light on Holly Enjoy the Toronto trip. Glad that you are getting out a bit this year instead of always being stuck in the house and being the responsible one. Girls just want to have fun - at least once in a while, right?

Speaking of responsible, you sure have your hands full too Mel. Why does everyone have to pester you all the time. Don't think I could put up with a building full of people as cranky as me Hang in there and don't get too stressed. Sounds like there's a soap opera going on over there.

I haven't peeked to see if Shad's got the new pictures up yet. Will do later.

Just peeked in to see what's going on as I sip the last of my coffee. As usual I am running late - even when it's just hanging around the house. The air is heating up out there -better get outside.

Let's have some fun today, ok? 2 giggle moments to each "routine chore" we take care of. See yah mates...