I've never posted a challenge anywhere before, so hope I'm doing this right!
Thought I'd put this out there and see how many takers there are.
My story (as short as possible) is that I've been a binge eater most of my life and I've tried several times to stop the cycle of dieting and binging. I managed to get hold of it for a while a few years ago but this past year has been **** with a lot of personal issues. However, that's behind me now and I'm ready to start fresh.
The past 6 months I've gotten into a nasty habit of "dieting" during the week, being "good" and then Friday evening until Sunday morning binging. I know this is not healthy both physically and mentally and I want to change that but I need support!
I gained about 15-20 pounds this past year which I'd like to lose and so far I've only lost 3. I have lost inches but I attribute that mainly to exercising a lot rather than diet. I would love to lose as much of the weight I gained as possible by the end of August (as I'm a grad student and starting in Sept and it would be great to start a new program as a size 6 rather than a size 10) but my main focus now is to break the diet/binge cycle.
I'm a vegan and I decided to follow Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" plan which is basically a lowfat whole-foods plant-based diet. I'm planning on beginning tomorrow but anyone is welcome to post before that.
I guess what I'd like for this thread is to have a place for anyone who is just trying to get through whatever plan they're on (either for weight loss or just for healthy eating) without cheating. I'm leaving the definition of "cheating" open - that could mean staying away from the Reece's or from a full-fledge binge or even if you're not trying to lose weight but, say, trying to move from a vegetarian to a vegan diet and can't keep away from the ice cream
. I'd like us to have support, both when we succeed and when we fail. No one beating themselves up or beating anyone else up for not being able to stay away from whatever eating pattern you're struggling with, but a place to get support so that if you fall, you can get right back on the wagon (whatever wagon that may be
So who's with me?
If you'd like to join, I'd love to know a little about you - who you are, what your plan (weight loss or not) is and what your goals are (short term, long term - but that's optional).
My goals for this month are as follows:
- Make it through the weekends without binging
- If I feel like something "off plan," I should go ahead and have it but not turn it into an "oh, well, I just cheated, may as well blow the whole day" incident
- Pay attention to the signals in my body - not just how much I'm eating (i.e., when I'm full, when I'm hungry) but what I'm eating and how it makes me feel (like Reece's make me feel like crape while cherries make me feel good)
- Exercise but not for weight loss, for fun!
- Non-diet related goals: Not to stress over the upcoming school year for now - but to enjoy my time off, do lots of reading, lots of writing, watch lots of old movies.
I hope others join me too!