Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #616  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Carol, thanks for taking the time to fill us in. I know you must be busy and tired. Isn't it great how kids can be such spontaneous little rays of light just when you most need it? And a new one to celebrate, how lovely. You seem to be on top of everything, including our weight-loss journey, good for you .

Juls and Penny, your posts remind me of how painful casual remarks can be--and for how long! Some people call this "love" and "honesty," ay-yi-yi! Who knows what's really going on in someone else's head? My way of dealing with this is by eliminating the toxic people from my life, which isn't an ideal strategy, but it works for me. I'm sure that if I still lived in the same city with most of my family, I couldn't get away this this, and I'd be wasting precious time and energy being angry, hurt or defensive (or mean). One of the most important things I learned from child abuse therapy was not to expect more from people than they are able to give. Once I accepted that, it made it easier--or maybe too easy--to separate myself from people who were emotional black holes. Juls, maybe your hubby has his own struggles with how to deal with mean remarks, so he just agrees to keep the peace. I'm glad that you spoke up for yourself.

Marie, I'm so sorry that your family was bugged for the holiday! Tanks for reminding me that I'm supposed to be doing my yoga more often.

The rest of my weekend was nice. I did more chores and attended a friend's b-day party. All I had at the party was cider and a bit of cheese, so I'm very proud of myself. I'm been eating on program with few digressions, and really dong well at listing my eating, if not tracking all the nutritional info. I've worked out everyday for a week, including a personal best of 45 minutes on the exbike, but I was feeling whipped and achy this morning, so I took it easy today. My weight is still around 223-224. I want to have a really good week, and see a lower number by the time I leave town on Friday.

Hang in there, everybody--judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #617  

Oh Marie that bug is awful it has gone through all the grandkids and now hit the son inlaw yuk. I hope we don't get it here the hubby oh wouldn't be so good. We went to his appt. and the doctor lowered his blood pressure med as we all agreed it might be making it too low and therefore headaches and lightheaded feeling etc. Not nice. He has lost 10lbs. not good. He needs some wt. I'd like to give him some. I am going to work on my new goal Hawaii in the spring so now I am ready to be serious. The doctor totally agreed a second opinion is needed with my husbands extra piece being left inside after surgery. I liked the new doctor she seemed right on top of it all. Young and maybe thats good fresh and ready to change the world. I am trying to fatten him up. So I made homemade pot pie turkey leftovers. The rest of my day wasn't too bad lets see I figured it out about 1400 cals. better than some days for me. I am going to have a little frozen fruit bar so I will hit just over 1500. Not so bad never got to exercise as it rained and no time before dark. I am going to try yoga at the gym. I could use it..
Well take care and judy you have a good way to look at things I like it. Maybe I should use it too. I missed our girls lunchoen her last day is tues. Oh hope the others don't posion her she is a nice person but its her choice. So once again we are hiring. More training opportunities....... Oh well what can one do. We are now starting to serve children and are quite excited about that.
cckayac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #618  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone. Well the Monday back at work is over. I got through my emails and that's about it. Maybe tomorrow I can actually do some work. I had an eye dr. appointment and had a choice to make. To have an enhancement to the lasik surgery I had 7 years ago, to try contacts again, or glasses. I chose the contacts. Most of the time I don't even contemplate the enhancement but I'm thinking possibly. I'll get glasses later, but I'm trying the contacts first. Tomorrow I have another dr. appointment - podiatrist as my toe surgery hasn't healed completely.

Carol, congrats on the new grandson. That's awesome. Takes a little sting out of the nastiness November has dealt us.

Judy, you're doing so great staying on track. It's sure hard to get back on the wagon and you've done it. Great job.

Penny, wow, how very "sweet" of your family. Bessie??? How can they say that? I just don't get that. So you've all made me realized that although my father bugs the living daylights out of me, I am very lucky.

DG1 was offer the position in Reno. He'll let them know tomorrow of his decision. I think he'll be taking it. So DGS won't be moving as far away as it was going to be last summer. Only 5 hours instead of 11. Much better.

Well, that's it for today. I dragged my butt out of bed at 5 this morning and took the doggies out for a 1.5 mile walk. I did yoga last night. Tomorrow might be harder for a doggie walk as it's supposed to rain and snow. So it might be a treadmill morning with Kodiak staring at me with sad eyes.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #619  

S/C/G: 202/191/155

Height: 5 FT- 5 INCHES

G,day ladies.

Carol on your new little it just goes to show that even with all the bad stuff that happens there is always something good happening just around the corner to make things a little bit easier to handle, I hope everyone is on the mend and they all soon. It is great that your DH is on the mend and I,m sure your pressy will be just the motivation and medicine he needs to keep him improving everyday, even with all the hassles of late you seem to be still on course and focused. I hope you are taking care of yourself I bet you are tired and it is great to hear from you. Sad that you missed the girls last day and I don,t think the others will poison her as you said she went because it was more money so I don,t think she will get in their click.

Judy you know your right about my DH he does have some issues of his own from his childhood his Mum didn,t put him down or anything like that she took off with his sister when he was 14 to Italy and was gone for 4yrs and his Dad went to and was gone for 2yrs DH was left with relatives, he was terrified when he was growing up his Mum had mental problems and was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and was give shock treatment and then became scared of Doctors so she was never medicated and often threatened to kill the family in their sleep so I guess we all have our own set of demons some worse than others. I like you have learnt over the years to cut negative people out of my life, it works for past friendships but is a bit harder with family.

Hey Marie hope all goes well with the Drs, that is great news for your DGS and 5hrs isn,t to far like you said much better than 11 my kids are 5hrs away as you know but my youngest DD moved to QLD for a few months 13hrs away but she couldn,t be that far away from her Mum she told her DH so they moved back down to Sydney.

Hi Penny it seems like you had a rough childhood I guess we all have somebody in our life that seems to find delight in hurting us in some way, Bessie is a bit unkind and it seems to hurt more when your a kid, it is funny I was always a skinny kid and my sister and brother called me skeletor so I guess it doesn,t matter what your weight is there will always be someone waiting to pull you down. I made up my mind long ago that they can only keep me down as long as I let them these days I take a long hard look at who is being spiteful and tell myself that they aren,t happy with themselves and if putting me down makes them feel better then I feel sorry for them.

Well I,ve raved on enough so I,ll talk to you all later take care.

Weigh in tomorrowthe will be kind to me.
NEWYEARNEWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #620  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Judy - Those are very wise words about not expecting more from people than they are able to give. It's no good wasting our time on earth thinking "what if?". Congratulations on your personal best on the bike ! I'm seriously considering getting mine out of mothballs! If only I could find a comfortable seat. You would think I'm very adequately padded, but it's uncomfortable, even though it has a wide seat . Good for you staying on track at the party. Maybe you could send some of your willpower my way!

Carol - You are doing great staying within your calories even with all the stress you've been under. I'm glad to hear you are keeping such a positive attitude - even buying a new kayak for your DH. By the time the weather warms up next Spring, hopefully he'll be feeling way better and ready to enjoy going kayaking again with you. Maybe he'll feel more energetic now that his meds have been adjusted. It's good that you've found a new doc that you're more comfortable with. That can make a big difference in your peace of mind.

Marie - I hope the contacts work out for you. I wore them for about 30 years but my eyes became dryer as I got older and now I wear glasses (just for driving). I'm short sighted, so I don't need reading glasses, in fact I see much better up close without glasses. Sorry to hear your toe still hasn't healed yet, I hope it gets better soon. You don't let your injuries slow you down too much, you're always on the go! I think of you as the 'bionic woman' How are your wrists doing? Cool that your DS1 was offered the job in Reno - that's not too far at all so you'll get to see your sweet DG more often.

Juls - I hope your scale was kind to you today. You're right about us all having some people in our lives that cause us pain. The good thing that comes from it is that we are more sensitive to others who have problems. I've found that people who have had a difficult childhood are often a lot more empathetic and nurturing. As they say, you can't choose your relatives, but you can choose your friends! I'm very blessed to have many supportive friends, including you guys here on 3FC .

We put the Christmas tree up and strung the lights on the bushes yesterday, so I'm starting to get into the holiday spirit. It will be sad not to have our DS home for the holidays, but we keep in touch by phone every day and maybe we can set up something with the Skype video.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #621  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, the dr. visit was productive. I ended up having surgery on both toes. My thought was why recover twice??? There was some type of cyst where the surgery in august was. Dr. showed it to me and I can see why it hurt. It was a hard little rock. The left toe needed it too. So for now they both are sore. tomorrow will be exercycle - no walking. No bionic here, Penny. Just a stubborn a$$. The wrists are so-so. I'm starting to think they're not going to get much better. I can live with that.

Juls, Penny and Judy, I thought of you as I was reading the Oprah magazine during the surgery. I believe it was a dr. phil article - they were talking about family that says hurtful things. He said to say "Ouch". Not much more. Gives them the idea to think about it. Sort of interesting.

Juls, I've never been thin. Always overweight. But when I read skeletor, I thought that was just as mean as Bessie. Why do people do that??? It's good you decided that they couldn't hold you down. That's a great attitude.

Penny, your son won't be seeing you on Christmas at all??? Idaho isn't that far away. You should push for it.

Well, I think I'm getting ready to zone in front of the TV for an hour. TTYL.
Marie
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #622  

G,day you lovely ladies

Penny you are so right about choosing your friends but not your relatives but thats life and I agree that it does make us more understanding and caring I guess we know what it is like to be hurt so we are less likely to do it to others. I,ve put my tree up to and hung a few lights I don,t know about you but when I,m out and about it just doesn,t feel like Christmas not the way it use to the atmosphere just isn,t there anymore, it is good that we can still keep the spirit alive in our homes though. And I,m glad to report that the scales we,re very nice to me I didn,t lose anymore than the 2lb I put back on but that is OK I,m not greedy I,ll take it .

Marie your poor toes, I hope they get better soon that Dr Phil article sounds good I think I,ll try it but my family especially my Mum God love her is very thick skinned so I don,t think they would get the point AHHH well such is life you may not be Bionic woman at the moment but Wonder Woman will do you are always on the go as Penny says as far as exercise goes you give me a good when I start to feel lazy. I didn,t like skeletor either but now I,m older if someone says something negative about me I tell myself well thats fine while their picking on me their leaving some other poor b**s***d alone

Carol and Judy how are you doing.

Well my food intake so far has been good.
Brekki : some yogurt and coffee. Lunch : some chicken and a slice of bread and a coffee. Dinner I,m making some healthy pizza with some mushrooms low fat grated cheese and a WW jelly for dessert and a green tea.
I,m trying to get my water in to I went to my Dr last week and he told me not to drink to much fluid because for every 10 glasses we drink our body only gets rid of 5 so it isn,t good for fluid retention he said to only drink between 4-6 glasses a day, since I,ve been doing this I don,t feel so bloated.
Well take care everyone bye for now.

JULS
Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #623  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, the toes are recovering I guess. They're a bit sore. I get to start to soak them tonight and take a shower. That will be nice. Kodiak gave me pitiful stares while I used the exercycle. I went 5 miles. As the exercycle hurts my knee, I didn't push it. Just a casual pedal for 25 minutes. Tomorrow I'd like to walk but we'll see.

Juls, thank goodness the scale wasn't evil today. We must take it's kindness (or lack of meanness) everytime we can.

Work was okay. My house is freezing but the temp is going up. Told DH that he has to have the thermostat set to at least 66 at 3:00 in the afternoon and 6 minimum. He wanted to heat the house totally by the wood stove. Excellent idea if we were home all day. But it was 60 degrees when I walked in the door. Now I'm surfing nearly sitting on the wood stove.
Marie
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #624  

Just passing through to say hello before heading off to bed. It's been two late nights at work, and struggling when I get home not to go overboard on calories. I have gotten short morning workouts done, but overall this is not what I need to do to lose a little each week....but I'm hanging in there. I will take a break on Thursday and do personals.

Hope everyone has a very good morning!

judy
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #625  

Hello everyone I am doing fine just stopped in to catch up I will write later. Take care and all is starting to be on a real mends here. Thank goodness cals are within my limits Drs. appt. today for wow me.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #626  

G,day ladies hope your all well.

Marie I,m glad your feet are feeling better and you could give them a soak and have a shower sometimes that is heaven itself. Poor Kodiak he probably wonders when he is going to get a walk, but good for you for doing the 5 miles on the bike you sound like me the bike hurts my knee to but like they say beauty is pain LOL.

Judy sorry for your late nights it is easy to binge when we are tired but don,t be to hard on yourself and it doesn,t matter that you are only getting in short workouts every little bit helps, your getting there it doesn,t matter how long it takes you know your worth it remember we don,t fail if we stumble we only fail if we don,t try.

Carol I,m glad everything is picking up at your home and good luck at the quacks.

I,m not doing to bad I somehow got a burst of energy today and decided to scrub floors oooohhh my favourite job but I just adore housework LOL I worked up a good sweat and my heart was pumping like crazy so I guess it was a pretty good workout.
Diet shake for brekki and a coffee: small homemade pizza with mushrooms and cheese for lunch: Dinner a pork chop with sweet chilli sauce and a small serve of pasta Alfredo and some fruit salad for dessert.

Hey Penny hope your well.

Bye for now take care everyone.

JULS
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #627  

Hi, all--

I'm determined not to work late tonight! I'm going to leave momentarily so that I can workout before dinner, since I didn't at all this morning. I had a protein shake this morning, almonds later for a snack, a salad w/turkey for lunch (meeting), and a little slaw and bean salad for afternoon snack. I had a small bag of SmartPop popcorn, which isn't on the program. Afterwards I remembered that I have some celery sticks in the office frig, which would have taken care of the nervous crunchies. Oh, well. I will head to the exercise room and pedal away on the bike for penance.

Juls, you had a great workout, with an added benefit. I'm envious. You're right, a short workout is better than nothing, but I need to do more intense short workouts, or be sure to do two short ones during the course of the day. I haven't been walking as much as I used to, and I really must step up the calorie burn!

Carol, I'm glad to hear that things are continuing to improve on your end. Congrats on keeping the calories in line--most of us would think of this as a perfect time to eat everything in sight!

Marie, toe surgery sounds very, very unpleasant. You have been having a lovely year physically, haven't you? Now I will feel like a real slacker if I don't work out on the bike, since you still managed to go for 5 miles.

Penny, I will only ride the recumbent bike, the regular bike makes my heinie hurt! I am also thinking about decking out my apartment with Xmas stuff. I have a big box of decorations, but since I'm not usually there on the big day, some years the stuff never gets unpacked.

I'm off to Ohio until Monday evening. I won't have much computer access, but I will stop in for quick check-ins.

Hang in there!

judy
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #628  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - I hope your tootsies are healing fast. I found the image of Dr. Phil telling my mother "ouch" quite amusing. That might result in a nuclear melt down! Rather him than me! Actually, after a while, I found it quite funny to see how my Dad fell into her traps all the time. Mom delights in saying something quite ridiculous so that someone (usually Dad as he hasn't learned to agree 100% with everything she says) corrects her so that she can go into a tirade about how they think they are so smart and think she's stupid. As they say, "distance makes the heart grow fonder" and I feel much fonder now that I'm several thousand miles away! Unfortunately, our DS only gets Christmas Day off as his firm is very busy, so it's just not in the cards for him to come home. We're looking forward to visiting him in Boise in the Spring though. It's funny how guys don't feel the cold like us gals. I'm for ever turning up the thermostat and hubby is turning it down! It just seems if I get cold it takes ages for me to warm up. I put a space heater on in the bedroom about an hour before bedtime so it's nice and toasty when we go to bed, but I like it cooler during the night.

Judy - Glad to hear you're hanging in there despite your heavy workload and travel schedule. I like crunchy things too. I've just found these great crackers called 34º at Whole Paycheck (aka Whole Foods). A serving is 19(!) crackers for 130 calories. They are thin flat crackers (three different flavors) that look like those Scandinavian pressed cookies. They are great with salsa and Tofu Pate. I haven't managed to eat the whole serving size yet! I hope your trip to Ohio goes well. I LOVE recumbent bikes, I used one at a gym several years ago and really miss it. Maybe I should put in a request with Santa?

Carol - Glad to hear things are going better at your end. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Juls - Oh, please send a burst of energy my way!! Good for you getting a workout out of your housework!

I haven't been sleeping very well lately and find it's a real challenge to resist carbs in the afternoon when I start dragging. It's been very chilly here and we might get some snow on the weekend. Our DS just got word that he's been accepted into the Boise PD as a reserve police officer. It was reassuring how thoroughly they check applicants out. He had to do several hours of interviews and they checked out about 10 references - talking to some people as long as 45 minutes. He starts his training in January (about 100 hours) which he'll do in the evenings after work. He's already completed the Law section which was several hours of online testing. He will be doing about 15 hours a month as a volunteer officer. Luckily, Boise isn't a real high crime area or I'd be a basket case.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #629  
Lifelong Journey Member

Penny, I remember you telling us that he'd applied. Send a big congrats from us. Police work is dangerous no matter where, but don't focus on that, focus on the fact that you raised a child that wanted to give back to society. That's an AWESOME thing. And back away from the carbs. Slowly back away from the carbs... Did that help??? BTW, why can't you go to Boise for a long mid-week break somewhere near the 25th of next month?

Judy, I hope your trip goes well. Good for you in keeping with the workouts even when you're so busy. Even if we never lose an ounce, the exercise is good for the mental health. So your doing your brain good.

Carol, I'm glad DH is mending. We think of you often.

Juls, I did the 5 miles again as the toes are too sore. Poor Kodiak. I think 2 days without his walk has made him give up hope. The bike didn't bug my knee as much today. I'm listening to Double Cross on the iPod and the time flew by. It's certainly an interesting book. I like James Pattersons Cross series. I used to love the Women's Murder club series but it's nosedived in quality and there's not story line or closure in the books. But this one is good so far.

BTW, Juls, do you do your friendly co-chickie's floors too? I could use it...

Work was good today. I've been catching up a little. Even crossed 1 thing off my to-do list. At this rate, by the time I'm a hundred, I'll be caught up.
Marie
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #630  

Juls congrats on the 8lbs. thats great! I felt lucky enough at the doctors today to be only 1 lb over what I was when I went to HI last time. So if I can shed off 6lbs. before I go again I will be happy with that. My wt. wasn't as bad as I thought it would be today. I am grateful. Actually didn't look at the scale and then when my nurse left the room I peeked at the paper crazy huh? Well we ladies tend to be that way huh? I did find out though my vit. instead of the tricor didn't do the trick my thyroid was great the chol. and trigl. were way out of wack around 350 each oh! not good see its not always what I eat but how my body works or doesn't work for me. Oh dang thougth I was doing so well. She did tell me to continue the QC10 vit. as she thinks its helping with my bones bad knee and back are better and this maybe why? So I will continue those also said due to hubby better get a flu shot. My arm isn't even sore last time it was bad for days hot hard etc.... This time nothing guess the doc was right this RN knows how to give them. My cals today weren't bad even with some dark m m's peanut of course not totally bad I did skip the icecream I am trying to fatten up the hubbie whom lost 10lbs. and couldn't afford to so anything I would like to eat I feed to him instead of me. Hah hah! I did manage to get out of work an hr. earlier today and hit the gym with my workout partner in crime. Intake today 2 poached eggs, dry rye toast little jam, few potatoes, lunch a sante chicken grilled salad and a grapefruit, dinner- a little chili and a little goulash 1/2 c. cottage ch. then about 20 peanut m and ms. 45 min workout oh an orange peeled for an evening snack only 2 cups of coffee, tea and ice water. Not too bad only naughty was really those mms and they were peanut ones and dark. Oh trying to convince myself they were okay.
Juls feel free to do my floors too. I want to decorate this weekend!
Penny my son and his family won't be home either too many miles but everyday gone by is a day closer to my visit there. I can't wait. The hubby is also looking forward to this trip. We seem so much closer since this problem with his health I think he is so grateful for the care I have given him but he would of done the same for me. He has never been in the shape he was this time. But feels like everyday is better. Soon he will be doing even better and we will have a good holiday I think. Sleepings not been easy here either the over the counter pm stuff has come in handy a few times over in the past few weeks. The doc says no big deal. Congrats on your sons approval and yes that is reassuring that they ck them out so well. We all should be grateful for the young folks like him.
Marie soon we will have to put you in a glass show case. You becareful now no more broken or sprain parts. Hope your on a mends sure the doggies are awaiting a walk for miles.
I feel pretty good today and its the first time in awhile that I can say that. Well take care it was leftover night. I have decided tues. and thurs are fix your own meals or leftover nights as those are my nights to work out. Trying for 3 days a week. Judy you are so good even short workouts add up and sometimes are better that way they say. Well take care all hope I didn't forget anyone if I did sorry. I am on a roll wouldn't it be nice to have a loss before the holidays not impossible if I work on it. I do have a holiday party at a group home on friday. But I will try to becareful especially the rest of my day to fit it all in. Its good to be back in touch and feel I have some control.