Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Penny- How was Ikea did you find what you wanted?

Marie-Well happy early bday. What are you going to do for it?

Carol- That sounds like an awesome day trip. I am glad you had fun

I peeked at the scale today and I managed to maintain despite my 4 days off. However, I will look aain tomorrow for the official reading for the week.

Nikki
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #257  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Morning everyone, yesterday was a good day cal and exercise wise. I was at 1725 cals and I walked 1.5 miles and biked 9 miles. It was hot and windy when we biked and I wondered if you burn more calories in the heat? Like in the 90s instead of the 70s? It sure felt harder.

Being from the Minneapolis area I was riveted to the news last night. Tried to call my family to make sure they're all right but the phone circuits were busy. I used to commute over that bridge when I went to the Univ of MN. Very scary to think a bridge could just collapse. My prayers are with them all. At least it wasn't in the winter when exposure would have harmed even more.

Carol, let us know what you hear. You know our fingers are crossed for you.

Nikki, the peek counts when the evil scale is nice. I hope your continuing to get better.

Peny and Judy, hope you're having a fun time.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #258  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - The tragedy in Minneapolis must hit close to home for you. I hope all your family and friends there are safe. As you say, at least they could save the people in the water at this time of the year. It would have been much harder in winter.

Nikki - Congrats on holding steady even though you were off plan for a few days.

Carol - I'm glad you were able to have such a great time on your trip, despite your bad back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out with your job prospect.

Judy - Hope everything is going well for you.

Well, our trip to IKEA turned out to be a bit of a fiasco! When we arrived, we saw they were directing overflow traffic to a field about 1/2 a mile from the store. Since it was about 90 deg. and I hate big crowds, we just turned around and went home, stopping at an Indian restaurant for lunch instead of the Swedish meatballs I had been looking forward to at IKEA. We'll probably try again in about 6 months when the novelty has worn off a bit! Nothing is worth waiting in long lines and dealing with mobs of people.

A few us gals from Curves got together to do some yoga without our instructor, who is on vacation for 3 weeks. One lady brought in a yoga/dance tape. It would have been hilarious for anyone watching us trying to do this stupid tape. It was more like Irish jig dancing with waving arm movements - nothing like yoga at all! We switched to another tape, which was a bit better but we sure miss our instructor, who has it just right for our level of ability.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #259  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Hey girls I did it off to a new job starting on the 20th ending my current one on the 16th. I feel great about it and very positive this will be good for me for many reasons. Also an opportunity to learn more things and help a different population. I will be working with some folks with Brain Injuries and MR a few street folks. Now what a challenge that will be. I am sure that it will be a learning experience. Very pleased and feel calm about this whole thing and that tells me its right for me to do. Had to tell my director whom I have worked for 9 years next month. Knocked her off the chair almost she had no idea I was looking or leaving. We chatted for 45 min. she did everything to try to win me over but then was pleased for me too. I saw some watery eyes from her and she said your the best I had. So nice to hear but I told her I couldn't put up with the petty office stuff anymore and enough was enough. She told me how much I would be missed and asked my new pay and I told her she was so surprised. I said it was a price that made it worth losing a some vacation at my current job. That she thought was great its a starting salary for mtg. at our site. My current supervisor was a bit rude at first then came around after the director got a hold of her. Now she is wishing me luck and telling me how hard it will be to replace me. Maybe she should of thought about that earlier on. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I got what I asked for and the new team told me how excited they are to have me aboard their team. I will stop there today to fill out some hire paperwork the insurance will kill me for a few months but then it will be okay and after 2 yrs of employment it becomes free for me. Thanks for all your support with my past job issues and helping me think this through with all of you. I think my reason for feeling so positive is I had the time to really ck it out measure it up and ensure it was going to be a good thing for me. So off to new challenges and learning new skills. Less work hrs. due to a paid lunch now and closer to home. Gives me automatically 5 hrs. a wk at least back in my life. My cals yesterday were with in my limits. I swam and drank a couple glasses of wine to celebrate with my friend. Now how does that work do you think I burned the cals from the wine in the pool too? Hah hah! Marie happy b day hope your having a ball. Got on the scale today and it was the same as wed. so I still need to shave off 4 lbs by the end of August. Lunchoen today at work to cele my b day and the directors. I will try to becareful. Penny to bad about Ikea but it will slow down maybe going first thing in the morning would be good? I wish we had one here so cool the stuff they have. I did buy some baskets on ebay before. Well gotta go Judy hope your still enjoying your trip. Nikki good for you staying the same sometimes isn't such a bad thing. Take care girls and have a super day.
cacmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #260  

Marie- I hope your family is ok. That was a terrible incident.

Penny-That yoga description sounds so funny. Good for you continuing with it.

Carol- Congrats on the new job.

I lost my job yesterday. Guess I got to kick up the ft position search a bit now. I am determined not to let depession kick my diet in the butt. Enjoy the weekend Ladies.

Marie Happy real birthday
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #261  
Brit Chick

Carol - Congratulations on your new job! It sounds like it was meant to be. Your new hours are much better and will make up for a bit less vacation time. It's also better to have a shorter commute. Isn't it amazing how valued we are when we quit a job! I never understand why employers don't pay more attention to keeping their key people happy.

Marie - Happy Birthday!
I hope you have a great day.

Nikki - I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. I hope you soon find a good full time position. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #262  
fIREFLY

Penny thank you and your so right. Yesterday I was told by my supervisor oh we are one big family here an I think of you all as my family. I thought is this how people treat their family cause I am now more thankful than ever for mine. Hah hah. She said even after I begin to interview if you change your mind nothing said its yours still. I gracefully thanked her and had no other comment no way! I think this new job is going to be just fine. I met the District mtg. yesterday a younger guy but seemed very nice. I told him I was comfortable with my decision and he said you have no reason to worry your going to be fine here. That was nice I thought. It is kind of scary to leave a position of 9 years.
Nikki well I am sorry for your loss but I am sure you will find something soon. And good for you not letting the stress get in your way. Maybe this one just wasn't ment to be and a full time one will be better for you in the long run. Sometimes things happen to make us have a change and it ends up for the better in the end. I will be thinking of you and sure you'll find something your a smarty.
Marie hope your out having a blast still for your birthday. We have a reception to go to this afternoon relaxed though outside picnic style. Should be lots of fun with my family on a good note and not a funeral etc.
My intake yesterday was up a bit due to my lunchoen at work and we had dinner out last night but no dessert I decided no and nothing but ice water on my return home. Well take care and I am heading for the treadmill before my venture to this function today.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #263  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, we had a terrific day yesterday. It actually worked out nicely that DS2 didn't get the day off and we (DH and I) were able to spend the entire with DS1 - no DGS or almost DIL until dinner. We had a great time with him. Since he's moving away next Friday, it was precious time. One kayaking story - DS1 and I were aiming for all the rapids and got stuck in shallow rocks. Ok, I got stuck and yelled to him, don't come this way. But he did (to save me) and the two of us, in our little kayaks were laughing so hard, we couldn't stop. It was so fun. We then took him shopping and got him some new clothes and shoes for his new job. He told me that the birthday person isn't supposed to buy the gifts, but heck, he's on his way.

Calories yesterday - no idea and I don't care. Every card but two were cards about not dieting on my birthday. Apparently my entire family thinks I'm too obsessed. So I took the cards to heart and enjoyed my breakfast, lunch dinner and cake. And today I had cake for breakfast and lunch. Oh, very bad but it's gone now so that's the end of that. Tomorrow will be sugar withdrawal. Exercise - 3 hours of kayaking yesterday. Actually more like an hour and 2 of floating down the river. My arms were exhausted.

Tomorrow is the weekly bike ride. With my new b-day gifts already installed, I'm ready. DS1 gave me the bike seat I bought. DS2 gave me the computer (odometer, speedometer, etc) that DS1 bought and paid for... I was told my b-day presents were too confusing. DH gave me a headlamp for taking my doggies for their morning walk now that it's dark in the morning. Thursday was a walk by moonlight. So now I have a headlight...

Carol, WAY to GO!!!!! I'm so happy for you. You know, at least now the old job people might take the idiot's problem seriously since she chased you out fo there. Their loss. I'm very excited for you. Enjoy your picnic. Maybe your new job won't have so many funerals??? And paid lunch, very excellent.

Penny, I told DS1 about IKEA and he'll look into it when he moves since he'll have to get a few things. Sorry your trip there didn't work. But in the dea of winter, meatballs might just hit the spot.

Nikki, so sorry about your job. You'll find the right fit soon, I know you will. How are you feeling? Getting better?

Judy, hope you're enjoying the beach.

Me??? I'm going to go enjoy my pool.
Marie
Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #264  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Yaay, I'm back! I just put my nieces on the plane to go back home. It was great to spend so much time alone with them, but I am glad to get my own llife and routines back, not to mention no more kiddie TV, which got on my very last nerve after a while. The parental controls are off the cable--HBO, here I come! Seriously, though, I was sad to say good-bye. I only see my sister's kids twice a year, and you miss so much. The girls are funny and smart, and overall they dealt well with the tedious parts of travel. We were at the pool and/or the beach nearly every day we were in Rehoboth, and I was very relaxed about being in my swimsuits.

Now it's back to real life, and back to the office on Wednesday. I bought a lot of fresh produce this afternoon, to replace the french fries and iceberg lettuce that were the most popular "vegetables" at the beach. And I'm purging my kitchen of the wheat, apple juice, ice cream, etc., that's left over from their stay in DC. After having one last "good-bye" bowl of ice cream... I think I am in the clear. Now I'll have to work hard for a few weeks to clear all of this crap out of my system. My diet log is back out on my dining room table, and I am feeling great about getting back to healthy food and working out.

There's too much to catch up on here! Carol, I am so happy that once you put your mind to making a transition, it happened rather quickly. Congratulations--and on the weight loss, too. Now, if only we can see those wedding pictures!

Nikki, I hope that you find the FT position you want soon. The exercise will help keep you centered. You're probably just in a lull after the push to get through graduation, which was not to long ago. I hope that next phase of your life officially starts soon!

Penny, I love Ikea. Their furniture is great for folks in apartments or smaller spaces. My only complaint is that some of the stuff is a lot more complicated to assemble than you are led to believe, and it's not the best for furniture that takes a lot of wear and tear. I have a huge bookcase from them that I love, though, and I have had this computer table for close to ten years.

Marie, I'm glad you enjoyed your b-day. I know people in the Twin Cities, and have spent time there, so I was especially interested in the bridge collapse. It's incredible that more lives weren't lost. But I know that people are traumatized. One of my brothers was a bit phobic about bridges already, so I know that this will make it worse for him.

Time to enjoy the rest of my Sunday afternoon. Hope everyone is having a good day.

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #265  
Brit Chick

Carol - I'm glad you're feeling good about the job change. Maybe it was fate that your dopey coworker made things uncomfortable for you there. It sounds like a better deal for you all around.

Marie - it sounds like you had a great birthday and all that exercise worked off the extra cake for sure. It's good that you had some "quality time" with your son before he moves away. Your kayak adventure sounds a bit hairy with getting caught on a rock! At least you had a good laugh about it. I can just picture you with your headlamp on walking your doggies - kind of like a coal miner! Now that's dedication.

Judy - Good to have you back. Your time with your nieces sounds delightful. It's great for them that they get to spend time with you on vacation - I'm sure they'll have great memories for a lifetime. I can imagine they have different food preferences than you, so it's probably a good thing to clear out the junk - it's just too addictive! I've just gone through my pantry and cleared out some of the more questionable stuff. From what I've heard, IKEA has better quality furniture these days. We just wanted to look for old times sake as we bought some stuff there about 25 years ago when we moved to California. I'm going to make a lighter version of swedish meatballs tomorrow as now I've got a hankering for it since we weren't able to get in to IKEA the other day because of the crowds.

Nikki - I hope you had a good weekend.

We're hoping to get some landscaping done (a retaining wall and a new patio) and have been interviewing some contractors and landscapers. What a hassle! I hate having to make decisions about stuff like this as there are so many different options. Our crummy old patio is really cracked and nasty looking, so it will give the place quite a face lift if we redo it. We rented a movie (a fairly rare occurrence for us) - Hot Fuzz. Our son recommended it to us. It was funny as heck but a little gory, although the violence was cartoonish. It's worth seeing if you like weird british humor.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #266  
fIREFLY

Girls I feel more in control these days it could be my job thing or the fact that I am charting and using the scale. At any rate hurray a little changes has shown for my efforts.

Last edited by cacmsc; 08-06-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #267  
fIREFLY

Lost my note dang! Oh well all is well the charting is going well for me and down from last week and on a monday after the weekend thats a plus. I am doing the scale almost daily and that seems to keep me going stronger than before at least for now. I had a wedding reception saturday and had some drinks, cake and some spanish foods thought it would be up but I was down another .5 so I am good to go. Packed a good lunch and had a hard boiled egg and cinn. toast for breakfast. The job front still feels like I am making the right move the supervisor called me in on friday told me I could still chg. my mind that I am part of a family there. That even after she begins to interview if I feel differently just say the word and its mine. I thanked her but thought no way!! 8 more work days to go. Marie good for you having a fun kayaking experience we missed the rapids last week should of gone down stream another mile I guess next time the bear tracks were cool and glad he wasn't around or maybe he was and left us alone. Crazy girls now why would he want to scare old us's? At any rate isn't it adventurous and fun. I am going rural camping this weekend no flush potties or water. Really roughing it. I will fish, kayak and hike. Yes burn off calories now see Marie you must of done the same even with the food sometimes we just need to work a little harder and you always do. Loved your gift ideas cool stuff. Judy glad your back and sounds like you had lots of laughs and thats a great calorie burner got to look at the bright side of everything. Sounds like the kitchen will be ready for some exciting cooking with veggies and fresh ideas as well. Good luck. Nikki hope your doing well and the job will come your way. Penny how exciting doing a patio there are so many wonderful ideas that the contractors come up with are you going with a few different ones to see what they come up with price wise and idea wise? I would as they all differ so much and make sure their work is backed up in case of cracks etc... Well girls 8 days left after today. I am going to start clearing my desk out daily so I won't have so much to do in the end. My new job site offered for me to come in if I had a little time to review some files but as I told them its tight and I have much to do before leaving. They understood and said the offer is open if I find the time. We'll see. I have been using my charting and its helpful I also chart on there my stress level and it seems to be down at this time. My kids and hubby are all happy that I am leaving my petty office. It will be a bit hard in the start as the first 90 days with out benefits and paying cobra ins. I am going to ask the new company if I can purchase insurance through them? I am not sure that will work out but worth askind I think.Take care and 2.5 lbs to go until the end of this months goal more would be nice we will see. Just trying to get back where I was it creeps up to fast I say! Dum moves by me thats what stress does to me!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #268  

Hi Ladies-

Marie- Your kayaking trip sounds like a blast. I am glad you had fun and did not worry much about your diet. It must be nice to have family outings such as this.

Judy- Welcome back ! I'm lad you had a nice time with your nieces. Way to go on getting the house purged of the junk .

Penny- I was just talking about hot fuzz yesterday. A friend of mine suggested we rent it. I did not know what it was about though and put it off. I think I'll give it a try now. I joined net flix so have been renting 2-3 movies a week. I will add hot fuzz to the list. Thanks !

Carol-It sounds like you definetely made the right choice with this job.
Are you a social service worker? I always hear you referring to your clients but was not sure. Anyhow, the first 90 days will ly by I bet and you will be much happier. Good for you on the scale moving again

As for me, I am at my boyfriends most of the week again. We have to go back to court on Wednesday and next week he starts a second job. He will be working 13 hours a day Mon- Thursday to pay off his debt from this legal mess. So I figured while I'm not working and he is still working 7-3 I would come stay out here for a few days. I brouh my atkins staples with me so I am prepared to stay on track despite being around an italian families home cooking every night. Luckily his mom has no problem throwing some meat in for me and always makes a salad.

Have a great day
Nikki
Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #269  
Lifelong Journey Member

Nikki, that is just so wrong that he has to work a 2nd job because of a misunderstanding. I swear most of the legal system is there for the lawyers to get money. Enjoy the time at his house though.

Penny, I used my headlamp for 1/3 the walk. It definitely lights up the area I'm walking so I won't have to quit. I'm noticing it being darker and darker at 5:15 in the morning. Eeks, that means winter is coming. Since this has been the summer of non-dieting willpower, maybe fall will be good for me. Luckily I've become obsessed with exercise so I'm not damaging my weight loss - just not losing more.

Carol, I quit hardcore camping a few years ago. Tents are for the young - give me a hotel bed. I hope you have a blast and enjoy knowing that you're leaving the petty co-worker.

Judy, glad you're back and that coach is out of the corner. Bet he deserved a timeout. The beach sounded like fun. I loved when we lived by Virginia Beach - the Atlantic is warm and inviting in the summer. The Pacific around her is for polar bears.

As you can guess I haven't logged cals since last Thursday - b-day, and the cake day, then yesterday I just didn't but I'm logging today. Right on track but the munchies are calling. Thankfully I'm working so it's not as easy to mosey into the kitchen. Excercise wise I'm a good girl. Kayaking on Friday, walking 3 miles plus swimming 1/4 mile on Saturday, 15 mile bike ride (I know the exact miles and speed now with my handy little computer) plus swimming 1/4 miles yesterday. DH and I are going biking again this afternoon and I walked this morning. I just wish I was more gong-ho about the dieting side. I'm having trouble totally recapturing my dedication. I'll go for 4-5 days being good then slip again. It's frustrating as the first 40 pounds wasn't hard to stay the course. And I don't want to quit and be where I am. So I must dig deep. At least I keep trying.

Time to work. I'm working on putting my new website live. I will link it when it is so you can see what I created.
Marie
Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #270  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Ah, a totally free day..one more to go, I'm sure it will go by too slowly. I slept in, did 50 minutes of cardio in the gym, and logged all my food: chicken sausage, broccoli and kefir for late b'fast, a big salad with ham and feta cheese for lunch, and spaghetti squash with meat sauce, green beans for dinner. I'm off fruit for a couple of weeks, a la South Beach, to get a handle on the sweet tooth that I let out of the box over vacation.

For a while, at least, I will have unwanted help with the late-night snacking: I can tell that a mouse (okay, it's never just one) has been in my apartment lately. I had to wait until my young guests left to call the management company, since the girls would have gone ballistic. I'm mortally afraid of rodents. I hope that the super comes by tomorrow to look for and plug holes, and the exterminator will put out traps or something on Thursday--although I'm not much better with dead mice, and the sound of a trap snapping makes me hysterical . So I will try to be brave about all this for a few days...yikes! This is when I wish I had a significant other to go forth and dispatch the monsters for me. Speaking of frights, I weighed myself this morning; 225.5, so I didn't lose ground on vacation, despite too many indulgences.

Thanks for the welcome back! It feels good to be checking in regularly with you again.

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote