THIN WANNABEES WEEKLY CHIT CHAT (June 2 thru June 10))

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

• Hello and welcome to the Thin Wannabees!

It’s 2007! Come join our weekly chit-chat! We look forward to meeting YOU!

We are a friendly group of ladies who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another, not just in weight loss, but in all of our daily joys and struggles.

Everyone has their ups and downs and we’ll be here with you thru both! Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

So please join us and let's work together towards a healthier us!!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: The Thin Group
  • HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!

Hope all the mothers have a great day today! AND if you are not a mother, hope you have a great day also!

Sorry I have been "missing" lately - been really busy but wanted to come and wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day so thought I would start the new thread for this week at the same time.

I'll talk to you all later ...

Love, CJ
  • I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. I've reached 1/3 of my
    weight loss goal (16 pounds gone, 32 to go) and I had a rewarding
    meal yesterday -- a maintenance style dinner instead of a diet style
    dinner. We went to a really nice restaurant with another couple
    and I took breads from the bread basket, as well as ordering an
    interesting salad, grilled salmon, and minted fruit salad. I ate a
    bunch of raw vegetables before leaving for the restaurant, so I
    wouldn't lose control, and I managed. I shouldn't have reached
    into the bread basket quite so many times, but each piece seemed so
    small!! The restaurant menu included the calories and grams for the
    healthy dishes, and even though I don't really believe the actual
    calories were as low as what the menu said, it was very helpful for
    keeping up my will-power while other people were ordering rich
    dishes and gorgeous desserts. I'm glad there wasn't more temptation to
    deal with at the restaurant. My family was going to "appreciate" me
    at an all-you-can-eat brunch extravaganza. They had made reservations
    at an endless buffet place, and then thankfully they realized this
    would NOT make me happy, and they canceled the reservations.

I'm proud of getting through another day and another weekend, but
    I'm a bit freaked at the prospect of eating so few calories every
    day of my life when I'm on maintenance....but maintenance is a long
    way in the future. For now, I need to keep getting through each
    day and avoid getting complacent. 16 pounds is not time to stop.

Determined,
    Lisa
  • Congrats on doing so well, Lisa!

My family took me to Cheesecake Factory (yes, I know...cheesecake!), but it is my favorite restaurant...

Luckily they have low calorie versions of their salads now. (The original ones have a ton of fat and cals in the dressing and wonton strips and such.) So I was able to be pretty good. I did have cheesecake but shared a piece with both my sons so I didn't get too much of it. I've been working out like crazy. So I guess one day of eating OK instead of great isn't too bad.

Hope everyone had a wonderful mother's day!

Jen
  • Howdie everyone! Sorry I haven't been around - but, I have 2 reasons for that. I just have been so busy running here and there that I have gotten away from being on the computer as much as I used to be but the main reason this week is I am having a problem with my computer - of course I have my laptop but like I said I have just had too many things in the fire I guess. Still going to Curves tho (have cut down to 3 times a week instead of 5 because of all my walking at the SportsPlex) and of course walking at the Sportsplex 6 days a week! I now have logged 230 miles and only have 20 more to get my name up on the Walking Wall of fame! I have to change my weight sig as my scale says I was at 172 this morning - I'm like the turtle - slow but getting there! I'm dying to plant my flowers but we are still having frosts at nite so have to wait a few more days.

Lisa:
    WTG on the 16 lbs gone! You are doing sooooo well. You did great on your maintenance meal - you did a good job. That was very nice of your family to change the reservations from the all-you-can-eat brunch. Very considerate!

Jen:
    Yum .. that Cheesecake Factory sounds good to me - I love cheesecake! Sounds like you made some good choices also - good for you.

Well, I hope all our other posters come back soon and post! I'm looking forward to a "busy" chatty week!

Have a great day! Talk to you later...
    Love, CJ
  • Good morning - just checking in. Was hoping to see some chatting going on! I'm getting ready to go walking - then back to finish putting out all my summer furniture and plant my flowers. It's suppose to be a beautiful day and I'm hoping all signs of frost are gone now. But ... one never knows.....

Hope you all have a great day and hope to hear from everyone soon!

Love, CJ
  • Ah, we don't have a Cheesecake Factory here but I have been once when in Nashville,TN. Yummmy! Ha,ha- we do have way to many good places though.
    Today my younger son (20) wanted to take his parents out for lunch. We chose McDonald's where I could get the reg. burger and a side salad. He was happy with that! He got out pretty cheap on this one.
    My losing is just sooo slow too CJ, but a pound or two off is much better than going in the other direction. I guess I'm giving myself time to adjust to the new wt. loss before losing yet one more little ole' pound.My dog and I have been out walking this week. It's already getting to hot. We will have to get out early morning.
    Well, The Unit will be on TV in a few - guess I better go and get ready. The family is addicted to this one! - ha,ha!
    Ladies - have a looser of a week!
  • HI!!

Today was my WW weigh-in and meeting. Due to working on the show at the civic theatre, I skipped the meeting tonight, but did weigh in. I was really dreading it as this weekend I didn't eat right at all, and today at work there was a company cook out and I ate a hot dog, hamburger, chips, and two cookies (I am not even going to try and add up the points for any of that), so I figured I would of gained a pound or two. Was I surprised today! I lost 4 pounds this last week!! I did not expect a loss at all! I bet I won't have that good of a weigh in next week. That's probably when everything will catch up with me. So, now my weight is 198.8. That is the first time I have been under 200 since about 4 years ago. And before that, right after I had Hannah (7 1/2 yrs ago) I weighed in at 188. Needless to say, I'm very happy!

Also, digging out all my summer clothes last week, I found a pair of size 18W shorts I have not been able to get into in at least 2 years. I tried them on, and though they were a little tight, I could still fasten them and breathe! I'm still not quite ready to wear them right now, cause I'm just not comfortable working in tight clothes having to lift and carry stuff, and go up and down ladders all day, but maybe in a couple weeks or a month.

How's everyones week going so far? I hope to post again and catch up with everyone in a couple days.

Got to go and head to bed. Talk to you all later,

Kim
  • Kim, Congratulations! That's so great.
    YAY!

I'm about to enter a busy period at work and I'm not sure I'm going
    to have a chance to read and reply as often, but I'll be back again
    when it quiets down, or sooner if I fall off the wagon. (which I
    will NOT do!)
    Whenever I get "comfortable" with my plan and think I don't have to
    focus so much energy on will-power, that's when I mess up, but I
    guess I have to find the balance by trial and error.

Determined,
    Lisa
  • Good Morning everyone:

I have not been here for a bit. I have been busy with work and not so busy trying to lose weight. I am afraid to say that my eating habits have not been great. Its been difficult for me to juggle eating well with work and all the other things that life seems to throw at me. I still try to maintain healthier choices but It is very difficult. But as you can see I am still here and still wanting to do it. I dont want to give up.

The other day I took out my wedding photos to show a couple people. I am divorced and with someone else but I kept the pictures. I was happy when they were taken so I figure no real harm in keeping them. But what made me sad was that the women that were looking at them did not recognize me. they could not believe that it was the same person!!!!

I have gained 40 pounds since they were taken!!!! It was a bit upsetting to me. I look in the mirror and see the same old me but I guess I have changed.

Anyway I hope to get more exercise in....the rain and cold...(yes the cold again today there was frost on the ground!!!) has kept me off my bike but on the upside a friend from work has just purchased a bike too and we talked about perhaps biking together. That would be nice for a change.

Anyway ladies. The good news is I have not gained weight. I am still at that miserable 205. I am still making some good choices and I am still on the band wagon. I will live to fight another day.

Good luck all and to everyone a very belated Mothers Day.

Dallas
  • Kim: Congrats on the pounds lost!

Sounds like everyone is hanging in there...we all deserve a thumbs up for that. I too have been busy...end of school field trips, in-service days (why do they call them that? shouldn't it be out of service days?), on-going therapy appointments for my son, etc. Fortunately, I'm forced to work-out at least 4X per week or I get in trouble, so I've managed to keep the exercise going. I haven't lost many pounds, but clothes are fitting better, so that's good at least. I'm back into 14's (most of them anyway, but really want back into my 12's .

Anyway, back to writing...I'm so tired of my dissertation....I could just scream...my mantra is "3 more months...3 more months...3 more months"
  • Jen, What is the topic of your research?
    Are the field trips for your thesis, or for your children's school?

Dallas, Great to hear from you! Congratulations on staying
    steady. Staying steady is just a pause in a downward trend.

I brought a photo of myself (a clear closeup of my face and
    nobody else in the shot) to a hairdresser once to ask for the same
    haircut as in the photo. The color and approximate style hadn't
    changed since the picture was taken, but the hairdresser said,
    "You won't be able to get that kind of hairdo because the girl
    in the photo has a different kind of hair than you do."
    There was every reason for her to recognize me and she couldn't
    see it. But I'll be thin again soon. Not just avoiding obesity.
    I'm going to be THIN THIN THIN. I'm going for a size 8!!!!!

Determined,
    Lisa
  • My title is "search techniques for multi-objective optimization of mixed-variable systems having stochastic responses" which usually causes people's eyes to glaze over and roll back right before they go "huh?". (It's a great way not to be popular at parties... .) Basically, I'm studying how to optimize a system when you can't measure performance exactly and you have more than one performance goal.

The field trip was for my son. (Boonshoft children's museum in Dayton. I think I'm supposed to be helping with a field day coming up pretty soon, but I can't think too far ahead right now.) My field trip will be in July when I get to go speak at the European Operations Research conference in Prague. (Yay!) My husband is going with me and we're staying a couple of extra days.

I somehow pulled (or knotted) my calf muscle on Wednesday (not sure which). I didn't notice it until yesterday morning, but I haven't been able to do much but hobble since then. I somehow have to get one more workout this week or I get in trouble. Maybe I'll do walking. It's still aerobic and it might help work the knot or whatever is out. One day at a time, right?
  • Jen,

One day at a time is right! I hope the walking does help you heal.
    You could add some upper-body strength training if you wanted. If I do
    tons of light reps, I can get some cardio exercise from lifting as well,
    although it doesn't take much exercise to get my heart into overdrive.

My work uses OR methods, and some people in my family work in
    decision sciences, so I won't give you the glazed over look, but
    I know what you mean about smalltalk taking a sudden dive. In my
    opinion, OR gives some really unfortunate names to common and
    useful tasks. The names are correct and precise and everything,
    but totally opaque to typical person with, say, a bachelor's degree
    in science or engineering. Maybe when you become a leader in
    the field you can try to change that.

I went off my diet for a few days and I'm navigating the process
    of getting back onto it, or onto some variant of it. The problem
    is I'm not feeling very motivated. I guess it's a chance to prove
    to myself how disciplined I can be.

One day at a time!
    Lisa
  • Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around but I have just been so busy - had to finish getting my garden done - etc etc etc ... plus I had a whole bunch of company from downstate staying with us over the Memorial Weekend - and I finally (knock on wood) got my computer back running smoothly again! I hope you all had a great memorial day weekend .. I ate way too much not good for you goodies but am right back on track this week. Just got home now from a wedding today - yes, again I ate too much so tomorrow I am going to fast! I will eat very lightly!

My total miles walked at the Sprots Plex is now at 266 miles. My name is now up on the "Wall of Fame for walkers" - my next goal is to reach the 500 miles to get my 500 mile patch.

My second great-grandchild was born May 14th - a girl, Madelyn Marie - she's really a sweetie!

By the way, I "cheated" again on our weekly chat thread - instead of making a new one I just changed the date on this one and left all the posts. Let's have a chatty week this week - OK?

Well, I'm off to bed now so will check in here tomorrow.

Love, CJ