Old 04-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #106  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Love a good monkey photo

Also, for your amusement, go to http://maps.google.com/ and try getting directions from New York, NY to London. Read through the directions.

Last edited by Kiwonk; 09-27-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #107  
loves kleenex box art

Thanks! I loved the directions and the ... travel time ... is helpful also.

Not crazy about monkeys. They are shameless.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #108  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzz View Post
Cauliflower Soup
Are you sure I'm going to like it? I'm a skeptic when it comes to cauliflower. I sort of like it and then again I sort of don't.

I will post my chili recipe, and we can have a cookoff!

Ummmm... .... as soon as I find it. I might have to go get it and .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
Also prefer pandemonium to chaos.
Me too, let's have some pandemonium!!! I always picture pot lids and wooden spoons in a parade when I think of that word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Maybe your mother and I are contemporaries.
Somehow I don't think so: my mother mostly likely has never heard of the Doors, or if she has, would find them "noise". Too bad, they are the most luscious of all doomed rock bands.

Quote:
Yanno what really cracks me up???? I've had guys pull up next to me at a light and apparently think (my hair is usually long) that I'm some young chippie, and they give their horn a little "beepbeep", and I look over, and their jaws drop down into their laps.
Used to happen to me quite often when I drove a Saab (an SUV doesn't work the same way). The long hair is such a knee-jerk reaction getter. Must be why I don't cut it.

I'm having no luck embedding photos into my messages. The link I posted in my last post should have been the photo itself. I think I can make attachments show up in the text though. Must try that.

Kiwi
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #109  
loves kleenex box art

When my long hair makes me look like the Witch of Blackberry Pond, will you take responsibility? I know it's not your fault but still .....

DS is taking an I in physics. I am so worried about all these scholarships. I don't know if this means physics lab as well but he has to have 12 hours and a C. Will count an I against him? I feel like I know nothing at all about anything.

I do know how to make chili. They sell seasoning packets with directions.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #110  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia View Post
Thanks! I loved the directions and the ... travel time ... is helpful also.
I think it's kind of goofy that you should drive to Boston to get started on your 4 week swim. And then you have to go France. Sounds like the beginning of a limerick.

Hey Schatzi, I told my in-laws about your Polish Spaghetti and one of them said they'd had that and it was good. I can't remember how it came up, some other recipe that sounded unlikely. Oh yeah, DH's aunt was raving about her soup she made from a Boiled Dinner -- chopped up the ham, and pureed everything else, added tomato sauce and spaghetti. Go figure.

I've been cleaning out my closet. Mainly because I made the mistake of setting up and using a sweater holder and it turned out not only to be a big pain to use, but also to obscure the entire opening to my half of the closet (which, by the way, sucks out loud). So I took it out and now I'm trying to weed out the 99% of the stuff in there that doesn't fit me. Some of it was rawther dusty. Good thing dd isn't home for a few weeks, because I dumped a pile of clothes on her bed. Actually 2 piles -- each about 3 feet high. I worked on it for an hour, and then I had to quit. Sneezy and achy. I'm 2/7 of the Dwarves.

Kiwi
Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #111  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I do know how to make chili. They sell seasoning packets with directions.

Cowp, like it or not, you may well be a girl after my own heart!!!!

Here is my world-famous short-cut chili recipe, which has passed the "Texan test" AND is low-cal, high fiber (he doesn't know that):

1 26-oz jar of Smart Balance traditional red pasta sauce
1 14.5 oz. can of Contadina petite cut diced tomatoes
2 large cans (well drained) (And I don't know HOW large, because I
don't have any in the cabinet right now, but LARGE) red kidney beans
1 large onion chopped coarsely
1 large green pepper chopped coarsely
1 large red pepper chopped coarsely
1 2.25 oz. can of sliced black olives (completely optional)
2 packets of Old El Paso Chili seasoning mix
2 Lbs of very lean round steak sliced in thin strips (@ 1/8th of an inch by
four or five inches
OR (and this is what I love) 2 packages (3 bags in each package, so 6 bags)
of Boca meatless ground burger

If using MEAT (Oh, lawdie!) brown the strips in a large frying pan. In the meantime, in a good-sized covered pot, put in the pasta sauce, the diced tomatoes, the chopped peppers and onions and the two packets of chili seasoning and bring to a good simmer and then turn it down to low heat. Stir occasionally.
When the meat is all browned, drain it well (this works with lean hamburger, too) and throw that into the sauce pot. If you're using the Boca burger stuff, just throw that in right at the beginning...no need to brown anything.
Now cover it, and let it cook on low heat. If you use the round steak, let it cook on low for a couple of hours to get the meat nice and tender. If you use hamburger or Boca burger, just let it cook until your onions and peppers are tender. About fifteen minutes before you want to serve it, add the two cans of kidney beans, and if you want them, the sliced black olives. Serve over brown rice.

Oh, I drain the diced tomatoes before adding them to the sauce...I don't like my chili watery.

It's quick, it's easy, and (We think) it's pretty danged good.

Now I'm going to go make us some pork chops.

TTFN,

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #112  
loves kleenex box art

I am reading online stories and have happened on a sentence beginning, "Funnily enough, he ....."

Dang I'm bored.

Who slices the meat for that recipe. Sounds yummy but involves work.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #113  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
When my long hair makes me look like the Witch of Blackberry Pond, will you take responsibility? I know it's not your fault but still .....

DS is taking an I in physics. I am so worried about all these scholarships. I don't know if this means physics lab as well but he has to have 12 hours and a C. Will count an I against him? I feel like I know nothing at all about anything.
I hope you don't mean me -- I am voting against the long hair. The real reason I have long hair is that I'm afraid of the hair salon. I have reasons:
  1. When I was 11 and everyone had cool chin-length cuts and I wanted one too, the beautician my mother took me to kept "evening" up my hair until I had a pixie cut. The day before Halloween.
  2. When I had just graduated from college and thought I ought to get a more grownup haircut, I went to a hotsy totsy salon where I got nothing special and was charged 3 arms and a leg
  3. Every time I have gone for a cut or a trim or anything since I've lived here in Fashionville, the hairdresser has given me poodle bangs or giant big hair or something so hideous and embarrassing that I need to go home and wash it out
  4. and my personal favorite: the Korean woman who insisted on French braiding my hair against my will (she did not speak English) and kept answering the phone across the room while holding onto my hair

What were you saying?

Oh yeah, don't worry about that Incomplete; that shouldn't affect his scholarship as long as he has the 12 hours. They might have a policy about finishing Incompletes at his school, but even if there is some question about the scholarship, a nice desperate letter about his illness from his ma ought to take care of that

I went snowshoeing! It is ridiculous how much snow there is out there in the middle of April. It is an accumulation from these past 2 storms, plus the more solid drifts from the big storm in early March. I took ski poles (without bails) with me so I could go over the "hills" (drifts) easier and I found they sunk down 15-18" most everywhere and in some places about 3 feet! Nuts!

DH made me a salad. I should go eat it.

Kiwi
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #114  
Member w/ messiest house

Funnily enough, I have a writer friend who sometimes uses that phrase. I don't like it, although other than that I think he's brilliant.

Here are some sites to keep you busy for a while:
Stupid Crap I Bought Last Week
"Confetti Virgin"

Remember the Hoosier Times Dumpster Diver? I used to send you things from it? It is defunct, more's the pity.

Kiwi
Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #115  
loves kleenex box art

I remember the Dumpster Dive. Sad now that I know it's gone. While I'm waiting for these to load I have a question. Shots will know but just in case she won't tell me, anyone else's valid answer will be appreciated.

The place I work 5 days a week closes in summer and employees get unemployment. Theoretically I work one day a week at supermarket although I have not been scheduled for two weeks. This means I can't depend on them. Also, I hate standing on feet and making feet hurt. So ... if I want to apply for unemployment, too, what should I do with this job? I think I should quit it before summer but how much before? Do you see what I mean? I asked this on yahoo questions and got the answer that I should be honest and quit trying to cheat the government. Did not strike me funnily.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #116  
Ellabella

I just washed my hair and it has to air dry. Then I have to take my bath. Stone...oops...I mean DH....has gone ahead to bed. Tomorrow morning, we're heading out at 8:30 to go up to New Hampshire to pick up an antique iron headboard and footboard for the bed in our second spare bedroom. I found it online. <sigh> It's gawjuss. I know. I know. We don't NEED no more danged stuff 'round here. Ahhhh. Some things you really DO need, even if you don't. After we pick that up, we're going to have lunch somewhere and THEN we're driving down to Fitchburg MA to an auction house where my daughter bought a really amazing table & four chairs. The chair backs are made of BRAIDED wood. The table has a glass top and a braided wooden base. She wants it for her patio. We have to pick it up for her. THEN we're coming home to drop off the headboard & footboard, feed the khats, change our clothes, and THEN we're driving BACK up to New Hampshire (only further west this time - closer to the Vermont line) to have supper with friends.

Then we shall come home and collapse. This is NOT our typical weekend routine. Although we do occasionally get together with friends on a Saturday evening, go to a play or just hang out at one or the other's house...and often have the kids for dinner on Sunday, we are otherwise very stay-at-home-ish folks. DH always is working on a painting or writing an article or something, and I am frequently reading, sometimes writing, sometimes playing about with my clay. So, while I really want that bed, and DD really wants the chairs & table, I wish we could have had them fedexed or sumpin'.

Well, I slice up the meat, Cowp. It doesn't take long. Sometimes I really enjoy cooking. Sometimes not. Usually, I find easy ways to make things using frozen this n' that and/or some canned stuff and packaged seasoning mixes. I can't get too fancy most nights, as my commute is too long, and we'd be eating at midnight if I tried to do anything complicated.

Kiwi, where do you find those interesting websites? I never seem to find anything like those.

Those directions to London were a hoot. They should've added the instruction that you'd better buy yourself ten or twelve bathing suits, since all that exposure to salt water will just rot those babies right out. Kinda cute the way they just popped that "swim across the Atlantic" (or however it was they said it) just like it was a perfectly legitimate part of the directions. I tried Berlin, and it required the same swim, only going ashore in Spain.

Hey, Wabbie, Bagzz, Sug and Shatzi (who'd I miss?) hope you're all doing well and that your weekends are nice and relaxing - or filled with excitement, whichever you prefer.

Nighty night,

Ella
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #117  
loves kleenex box art

But why won't it direct us to Tokyo?

I just watched Kathy Griffin. Is she a shock jockette?

I love Sugar's yellow house.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #118  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
The chair backs are made of BRAIDED wood. The table has a glass top and a braided wooden base.
Cool! Do you have pictures?
Quote:
Kiwi, where do you find those interesting websites? I never seem to find anything like those.
I have been on the internet for a really long time. I was on the internet when the World Wide Web didn't really have graphics. I was on the internet when if you wanted a picture of, say, Saturn, you emailed the government and asked them to send you one. Or you used a very complicated Telnet connection to get one.
I have email on my computer dated 1992. I have graphics dated 1988 on this puppy -- want to see them? There's one below. So anyway, to answer your question, I don't remember!
Quote:
But why won't it direct us to Tokyo?
Humor only works in an easterly direction?

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwonk; 10-24-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #119  
Ellabella

[QUOTE=Kiwonk;1652385]Cool! Do you have pictures?

I'll have to get DH to take some once she gets it in place. She's a woman on a misson, now. I think all this dithering around with a little snow here and a little sleet there and no legitimate spring to speak of has frustrated her greatly, and all she can think about is what she wants to do ON THE OUTSIDE of her house. She's been out flagstone shopping with HER DH, and driving him half crazy over getting just the *right* look for this little "grotto of peace and relaxation" she's wanting to create out back. AND, this is all very interesting, because THIS PARTICULAR DD (I have three, remember) is typically the LEAST interested in her home or how it looks. She's the high-powered career gal who (probably in rebellion against her amateur interior-designer mother) exists on take-out food and lives in chaos (hmmm...pandemonium?) between visits from her cleaning person. I do not have a cleaning person and never have had a cleaning person despite working all my life with the exception of about a year off with each child. Just goes to show how things can change from one generation to the next, eh?

I have been on the internet for a really long time. I was on the internet when the World Wide Web didn't really have graphics. I was on the internet when if you wanted a picture of, say, Saturn, you emailed the government and asked them to send you one. Or you used a very complicated Telnet connection to get one.
I have email on my computer dated 1992. I have graphics dated 1988 on this puppy -- want to see them? There's one below. So anyway, to answer your question, I don't remember!

Hmmmmm. And I thought I was one of the original users. I remember having a computer with a very small screen in this big, boxy monitor. I think it was an Apple, maybe? I guess I mostly used it as a glorified typewriter - was so thrilled to be able to just *delete* typos or whole sentences if I didn't like them, you know? And, I seem to have just taken all the improvements for granted. Fahgoodness' sake, I get annoyed now if I have to wait a few seconds for a website to download, and I can remember - if I choose to think about it (it's such a painful thought) - when we used a dial-up connection, and it could take actual MINUTES to get a website up, not to mention sometimes having to keep trying and trying to get online in the first place.

Humor only works in an easterly direction?

Actually, I think that's been documented at MIT.

Well, the sun is out, which bodes well for all the stuff we've got to do today. I guess you've noticed that I'm still having trouble with this "quote insertion" stuff.

Have a good one, all..

Ella
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #120  
loves kleenex box art

I have to share an idea I had that turned out good. While I in Gainesville, a friend volunteered to come over and feed the cats. She changed the cat box for the one that uses it and scooped out the bathtub for the one that uses that. (Normally, he goes outside.) I do not live conveniently close to her. She owns her own business, a book store, and that involves a lot of note taking. So I went to Office Plus or whatever it's called, bought a LOT of decorative note pads of different sizes. Some were on sale but I was looking for them. I filled a gallon ziplock with them and it was a fun and useful gift!! Maybe I'll be featured on Rachel Ray showing you all how to do this.

I'm sending some of the note pads to lcp and there are a few left for me.

Last edited by Cowpernia; 04-14-2007 at 09:30 AM.