Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 01:00 PM   #1  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Default ~~ The Thin Group #65 ~~

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group! We are a great group of ladies (but men are welcome if there are any who care to join us) who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight in 2000. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another. Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: www.geocities.com/hotsprings/sauna/4797

Love, CJ
Old 10-26-2001, 01:22 PM   #2  
Conquering with SBD

CJ, I must have posted when you were starting up the new thread. Something very funny happened, so I am moving my post to the new thread.

I'm here and have been watching your posts today. I just haven't had time to put anything into my head yet this morning. Anything that would make any sense.

Last night was the recognition of long service employees - hubby has been working here for 25 years and I have been here for 15 years. It has been a hectic week...two days in Calgary, with a day in Edmonton in the middle. Lots of driving this week, and another 3 o'clock morning today to get to Calgary for 8:00 am.

Didn't do very well at the reception last night - too many tempting foods and stuff, so that makes the third day this week that I have been over my point allocation. Monday's weigh-in will not be pretty. I will try to be good for the next 3 days to see if I can re-coop some of my naughtiness.

Sounds like you are settling in back at home again. I love to go away, but love to come home to my little old house. Shopping? I loooove to shop. One of the fellows that travelled to Thailand with hubby and me has started a rumour at work that he doesn't think anyone can beat me at shopping. Funny thing is, hubby went to China last year. The lady that he went to China with told me afterward that I must fortunate to have him. Her words are: "He shops like I girl. I loved to go with him." Of course, that was 31+ years of training. They don't come in 20 year old models. CJ, go for it...and hurry.

Just a comment for everyone - please keep my daughter in your prayers. When we arrived home from the Middle East, she informed us that she was being sent to New York - Ground Zero to do crisis counselling. She has sent a few emails describing some of the events happening in the Red Zone that haven't hit the news. It has certainly had a great impact on her and will stay with her for always. She also has a 5 month old baby that she had to leave at home with her hubby. She was not weaned when out daughter left and would not take a bottle. Dad has been at home coping with this while she is gone, too. Thanks.

Gotta go. That darn work thing is calling again. I just hear it faintly, but the noise is getting louder...
Old 10-28-2001, 10:18 PM   #3  
Taking It A Day At A Time

Hi guys,
We got back last week, but haven't been able to post, but I have been reading everything posted. So anyways, we had a great time in Florida visiting daughter Tracy and her graduation from Leadership school was sure a big doing. There was around 350 people at that hall, besides the graduates and their guests there were tons and tons of Air Force high brass. The room was a sea of blue uniforms and it made me feel so safe to be there with all the wonderful spirit of America those who chose to defend our country had. Tracy looked beautiful and I will attemp to see if I can add a picture to this post at the end.

On the weight front, I went back to my WW meeting after 2 weeks and had a 2.2 lb gain, but that is not so bad considering I was on vacation and we had a wonderful all you can eat crableg dinner on the Gulf Of Mexico when we went there. I think I can safely say I did eat AT LEAST 2.2 lbs worth. But am back on track again with the program and exercising too.

So first of all I guess since CJ the Queen started # 65 I guess I should give her the Royal Brat salute. LOL So this is for you CJ.

You are a BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT BRAT
for starting the new thread and beating me so TAKE THAT! LOL There I feel better already. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
But you probaly don't eh CJ? Awwww admit it, you love when your get BRATTED don't you? I know you do!

Carolyn-So glad your weekend with your friend went well in Bloomington and you did so well program wise too. Hey Carolyn did you go to Bloomington, Indiana-my state or does Kentucky have a Bloomington too? We are pretty close to Bloomington from Columbus. Maybe 45 minutes or so, Indiana University is there and since my daughter was there for a few years I have been there many times. Beautiful place isn't it? Very cultural with all the different nationalities going to the University there. So very sorry about your favorite girl student who was killed in the car crash. Don't worry about you program with all that stress you are going through. It may not be the time right now. Don't put even more stress on yourself, just do your best and I know you will.

Kim-Hang in there Kim, things are bound to get better if Chad gets on his meds and keeps on going to therapy as well. I know you are glad at least there is a diagnosis though. At least you know now what you are dealing with and what to expect too. (((((((((((((KIM))))))))))))) My gosh girl what you are going through with Hannah and all her accidents sound familiar. Kids are always doing something to themselves whether it be falling, getting their head stuck in a chair, getting ahold of some medicine or shoving marshmellows up their nose. Ahhhhh how well I remember those days. You will laugh about this someday, but not right now. My email address is [email protected] for you and anyone else who wants it.

Judy-Wow good for you going in the right direction indeed. That's great losing those 2 lbs. I have faith in your that you will keep on going too. You are really keeping busy, between your new quilt classes you will soon take, teaching your former sis in law how to embroider and got a new car too. Hooray for you, you are getting back to life and doing great at it too.

Mary Kay-So glad your birthday went well and I know you enjoyed those 2 cakes too but talk about sugar overload! Happy belated birthday! I know you sure must be so happy those tournaments are all over too. Hope things get back to normal for you now.

Sam-Glad you are doing well and back to work to. I am glad you have Charlottes day care figured out so well and it is working out so well too. Gosh I can't believe that your daughter is 6 months old already. What is a naming day? I have never heard of it. Is it a custom in your country?

sweet tooth-Hi Peggy and welcome home! It seems that your trip went well indeed. You even lost weight too. I know you are happy about that. It was great too that you got to spend your 31st Anniversary in London too, lucky you. Oh yes, congratulations on making your Thanksgiving Challenge Goal too. Yes I will keep your daughter in your prayers that everything goes alright for her. How wonderful that she is willing to go and help those people who need it there.

Sylvia-I am so sorry about your Mother in law (and Chad's Uncle too) and hope they both get better soon, but how wonderful of you to help out in the family. That was great of your husband to give you those roses and baloons too. Kind of picked up your spirits didn't it?

Kolika-Thanks for the insight into your name. How lucky you were to live in Hawaii. Wow there is a haunted bridge in Columbus? Do you know where? I guess I need to ask my son's, they would know, cause they always know where all the haunted houses are around here. LOL Sounds like your camping trip might have been fun, inspite of all you went through to get there and the rain when you got there didn't help did it?

Sandi-That is great that Spence will be able to retire really soon, like in a few days. That will be great for the 2 of you, now you can really travel and enjoy life to the fullest. That is also great that they have hired a new girl to help you out and lighten your load too.

cherrycoke-Hey Mavis you seem to be doing really well with your weight loss efforts, Wow you have lost 42 lbs! That is wonderful. Keep up the good work. How did your weigh in go for you?

Jello-Your Las Vegas trip sounds like it went great for you guys. Good luck at your weight loss, let us know how it went. Hey now that you are back from your vacation why don't you go ahead and start the Small Sucesses thread? I'll bet you will get a good reply. With the holidays coming we all need this.

CJ-Hey there, how you doing? You sure are one busy girl arn't you? Can't wait to see you and Dick again. Only 11 more days than pass the Buttershots! By the way, WHAT IS THE SURPRISE? You outta know that I can't stand it, not knowing? LOL Oh well I guess if I gotta wait than I gotta wait. I will work on getting back on ICQ too and let you and anyone else that wants my ICQ # when I do.

Gail-Hi Gail, I miss you so much on this thread and it is great to keep on hearing from you. I just love your emails so much and you know I think about you so much and hope one of these days you will pop in here and say hello too. MISS YOU!

Chrissy-Hi sis in law, thanks so much for the great email, I will answer soon. Your daughter Ellie just wrote me a great email and it warmed my heart that my niece wrote me that wonderful special email. Glad to hear that things are going great for her. Say hi to her and to Emily too. Love you Chrissy, will answer you soon. I know you are busy going to school and working and everything else. I will miss you at Thanksgiving when we go to Michigan, but understand and think it is great that you are going to your sister Cynthia's in Virginia. Don't worry, my Dad, Papa and brother Jerry will not be alone for Thanksgiving, cause the Scobel clan invited him to come to Ken's brother Don's in Monroe so I will fill you in when I email you.

Miss everyone else to who hasn't come back. COME ON BACK ALL YOUR THINSTER'S. MISS YOU!!!!!

Attached is a picture of Tracy at her Leadership Graduation with her boyfriend. Brett.

Take care guys and remember I love you and missed you all.

Love ya, Sharon
Old 10-29-2001, 06:44 AM   #4  
Taking It A Day At A Time

Hi Guys,
I was just thinking that I should show you the whole brood so here is another picture of all of our kids.

That's Tracy, 23, again on the bottom left, out of uniform, than above her is Kelly, 25, who is in college and will graduate in May, after many years, with a degree in teaching, elementary education, than next to her is Alan, 18, who has decided to follow his sister's footsteps and is going into the Air Force at the end of April, than below him is other son Dan who is 20. That's the group guys, hope you enjoyed it.

Talk to you later, love ya, Sassy Sharon
Old 10-29-2001, 01:35 PM   #5  
Conquering with SBD

Yahoo!!!! Boss thought I was crazy jumping up and down and dancing on his desk. The WI this morning shows that I lost 3.25 pounds this week. Of course I am thrilled to have reached one of my mini-goals - finally reached the 30 pounds lost category.

I hope to do well this week and lose another 1.5 pounds. That is what I must do to reach the next mini-goal of "halfway there." I'm soooo excited, I just had to go out and buy new clothes. Hubby quietly shakes his head and brings out his wallet...

I have a weight loss hint for everyone this week. It actually comes from watching my husband over the past 31 years. I am working on this one and am trying to get better at it. Since most of you do not know my husband, I will describe him as a very thin person, who eats what he wants, whenever he wants it and doesn't gain a thing (I'm jealous). However, in watching his eating habits, I have noticed that when he is full, he quits eating. Period. There is no way people are able to cajole him into second helpings, or even dessert when he is full. He just simply stops. When I ask him how he can do that and not eat his favorite dessert. He says that if he ate the dessert he would feel bloated and stuffed and that is worse than eating the dessert.

I know that is hard for most of us, including me, but I have tried to copy this pattern and have found that I am able to lose weight the more that I practise doing this. I am getting better at leaving food on my plate when I am full and not overeating, but not always perfect. Keep thinking of how you feel after you've eaten too much. Thanksgiving is coming, one of those times that I think we all overeat. Maybe this year will be better if we take doggie bags home for the next day and don't overeat on the day, itself.

I'm jumping down from the soapbox now. I've had my say.

Yesterday I had a really hard time to not binge. There were nanaimo bars and other sweets sitting on the counter and I really, really craved having one, or two, or maybe the whole container. Hubby had to go to work to clean up some expense reports from our trip, so he wasn't there to be my conscience. I compromised...I made the WW garden soup, had two bowls full, a diet pop (to satisfy the need for something sweet) and then I was too full to have anything else. It's hard, but I am getting better at resisting those temptations. I think that yesterday the motivation was that I wanted to reach the 30 pound mark so badly, I didn't want to jeopardize doing anthing that would affect it. Other days, I don't have the same strong motivations. I find that very difficult, indeed.

What do the rest of you do when you are really tempted to eat something that you shouldn't? I would really like to start to use some of the strategies that others use to resist those acute times of temptation. Please share...

Sassy - so good to hear from you. You have such a lovely looking family. You must have been so proud of your daughter at grad. It's a great opportunity to be there with her. Sorry about the weight gain. It is so difficult to maintain good eating habits while on holidays. It wasn't a very big gain, so that will come off really fast when you are back OP. We'll see next week, maybe.

Hope everyone has a down week this week. Take care.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:32 PM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

I'm sending another note that I just received from a co-worker. If you apply it to your weight loss program, or any other aspect of your life, you will eventually see a tremendous change.

THE DAFFODIL PRINCIPLE....

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come see the daffodils before they are over." I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead. "I will come next Tuesday, " I promised, a little reluctantly, on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and so I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house and hugged and greeted my grandchildren, I said, "Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in the clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see bad enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother."

"Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"I was hoping you'd take me over to the garage to pick up my car."

"How far will we have to drive?"

"Just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."

After several minutes, I had to ask, "Where are we going? This isn't the way to the garage!"

"We're going to my garage the long way," Carolyn smiled, "by way of the daffodils."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around."

"It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand-lettered sign that read, "Daffodil Garden."

We got out of the car and each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, we turned a corner of the path, and I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight. It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it down over the mountain peak and slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns -- great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, saffron, and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted as a group so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue.

There were five acres of flowers.

"But who has done this?" I asked Carolyn.

"It's just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home." Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house that looked small and modest in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house. On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking" was the headline.

The first answer was a simple one."50,000 bulbs," it read.

The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and very little brain."

The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

There it was. The Daffodil Principle. For me, that moment was a
life-changing experience.

I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun -- one bulb at a time -- to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountain top.

Still, just planting one bulb at a time, year after year, had changed the world. This unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. She had created something of ineffable (indescribable) magnificence, beauty, and inspiration.

The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration. That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time -- often just one baby-step at a time -- and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years. Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.

It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?".....Author Unknown

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another.

Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, when we are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire. The truth is there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.

Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with... and remember that time waits for no one.

So, stop waiting...
Until your car or home is paid off
Until you get a new car or home
Until your kids leave the house
Until you go back to school
Until you finish school
Until you lose 10 lbs.
Until you gain 10 lbs.
Until you get married
Until you get a divorce
Until you have kids
Until you retire
Until summer
Until spring
Until winter
Until fall
Until you die
Old 10-30-2001, 08:43 AM   #7  
Long Lost Chickie

Hi all! Just a quick check-in. Don't seem to have much time these days. What's up with that? Am I getting old or something?? Nah. Can't be that.

Spent last night stuffing candy bags for Halloween. Every year the VFW fills bags of candy for the local police department to hand out to kids for Halloween. We broke our old record by stuffing 1200 bags in 44 minutes. What a mad house!!! And I'm pleased to report that very little of it ended up in my mouth! Couldn't help myself in some cases. There was some candy there that I used to eat as a kid and didn't even know they made it any more! There was a photographer from the local paper there so I'm waiting to see if I'm famous.

Sweet Tooth, thanks for the great story!! I'm going to borrow that for our company newsletter I think. I'm just about done this month's issue and needed something to fill a bit of space on page 4. This will work great. And I'm going to take a bit of advice from it for myself too. I can just picture all those daffodils!! Hm, starts me thinking about next year's gardening too.....

Meanwhile, I've been mapping out plans for a new kitchen. Poor Rich didn't know what he was in for when he agreed to redo the kitchen. We've got plans to knock out a wall and a few other "minor" changes. Could be frightening. I've borrowed some books from the local library on painting and decorating. This could get very very interesting (and messy!!).

Well, as I said, I'm swamped here so I'm going to sign off. Some of us are going out for Chinese food today at lunch so I'm already drinking gallons of water trying to combat all that sodium. Hope it helps.

Hope you all have a great day!
Much love, Jo
Old 10-30-2001, 01:41 PM   #8  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been around much - so many things to get done before we go to Kansas next week (by way of Indiana to stay with Sharon for a few days)!! Our daughter's wedding is November 17th. Still have to "drag" hubby to the store to get hime a new suit. He has to look "smashing" to walk her down the isle - not that he doesn't always look smashing to me - but he really needs a new suit! He's putting it off as long as he can - I'm giving him a couple more days, then am putting my foot down!!!!! LOL

Sharon - as I've said before, your daughter is beautiful - you should be proud! Cannot wait to see you and Ken - soon, very soon! This next week will go by so fast!

Peggy: Got your email - great job on the weightloss! We were at one time almost the same wt but you are passing me by so fast! But that is great - I'm just taking the slow route! LOL

I'm hoping by Thursday monring I will weigh in at 169 1/2 (or less!) ... I've been sitting at 170 for the last 2 weeks ... 169 1/2 will put me at 15 lbs down!

I have a great soup recipe if anyone is interested! I found it in Womans World magazine - it's called a diet miracle soup - but it is really healthy and good! That is, if you like watercress or brussel sprouts. Here it is, in case you are interested:

1 largeonion, chopped
1/4 + 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
3 bunches watercress (1 1/4 lbs)or 2 boxes (10-oz) brussels sprouts, thawed
sall & pepper, to taste

In large pot, over medium heat, simmer onion in 1/4 cup broth until most of the liquid evaporates and onion is tender, 10 minutes. Add remaining broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes. Stir in water cress or brussels sprouts; cook until wilted, 4 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly, 10 minutes. In blender, in batches, puree soup until smooth. Add back to same pot; heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 9 cups. Per 1 cup serving: 94 cals; 4 g protein; 0 g fat; 20 g carbs; 465 mg sodium; 3 g fiber; If you are on WW - just 2 pts per cup. AND IT TASTES GREAT!!!

We used to have a recipe thread here ... maybe we should start one again for low cal foods, snacks, etc. What do you think?

Well, need to go now ... talk to ya all later ...

Love, CJ
Old 10-30-2001, 03:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254.2/238/135

Height: 5' 4"

hi

Finally, something good to deal with. Met Hannah's new speech therapist yesterday. I really likes her, and felt comfortable with her from the beginning. She's probably in her mid 40's to mid 50's (i am soooo terrible at figuring out someones age), and has alot of experience working with kids. Found out she trained Hannah's first speech therapist (we've had two, and they have quit for better jobs). Hannah wasn't that crazy about her, and clung to me most of the hour, but that's Hannah. Lisa and I spent the hour mainly just getting to know each other, and a chance for Hannah to get to know Lisa. Lisa made a fast friend, though, when she sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to Hannah. That is Hannah's favorite song, and she usually comes up to me doing this thing with her hands that looks like a mini-wave/break dancing kind of move, and that's how I know it 'spider time.' Anyway, after we sang that half dozen times, Hannah at least got out of my lap, and played near Lisa. That is a start with her.

Chad and I are at least talking. I'm still real weepy, and worried how to pay the house payment this month. Not only was the loan blown, this weeks paycheck is going to be about the only income for two weeks. Chad only worked one day last week. I'm getting so sick being blamed for him not wanting to work. He took Mon. off because of me (i went to go get car ins. because we got cancelled, and spent an hour there, only to find out the down pay. was about 60 dollars more than quoted, plus had my friend little girl for a couple hours while her mom and dad was at the dr--her dad burned his hand very badly in a grease fire last sat, and had daily dr. checkups, and that is something a 4 yr. old doesn't need to see). Anyway, because of that, he couldn't go to work, so he went to a friends house until about 3 am (works 3-11, and I assumed when he wasn't home at 11:30, he worked over). Tues. he had the first appt. with the therapist, and I knew he would have to take a half day off for that. Instead, took the whole day off. Somehow that's my fault, too. House is too messy, or I didn't cook for him, or something.

Thurs. was the day we got into it about a bill I forgot to pay, so he took that day to blow the money we got from a loan to pay bills with. Again, my fault. Fri, and Sat he sort of took the blame. Just didn't want to go in. But in a way, turned out to be my fault, of course. I have taken days off from the house before because I didn't feel like messing with anything. I know my house is far from perfect. I let dishes pile up, and if I don't do laundry every couple days, it piles up real fast. plus with toys all over the place, it's crowded, and messy. plus, no one but me knows how to pick anything up, or take anything to the kitchen. Anyway, just had to blow some steam. Really don't have anyone to talk to. Mom is too critical of Chad, and gets too huffy. I just want someone to listen, don't really feel like getting a lecture from someone else. It's my prob. and we/I have to figure out the solution. I feel like leaving, but that isn't going to solve anything, plus don't have any where to go, and no job. I'm hoping getting him on the meds will help, and I want to at least stick around through that.

so, now that i've cheered everyone up, how's it going

guess i will go now. got some laundry that needs put away, and if I don't do that as soon as it comes out of the dryer, I leave it in the baskets forever.

till later,

kim
Old 10-31-2001, 12:42 AM   #10  

Hello Ladies!

I hope you are all doing well. I'd like to thank all of you for sending happy thoughts and prayers my way. Things seem to be getting better. My Mother in law can lift and bend her left leg and move her left arm and is being transferred to another rehab place for "intensive" rehab. Her brother is also doing better and is being transferred to the same place where my MIL is. I've lost some weight ( I don't know how much) I've gotten a few compliments ... that's always good for lifting spirits! A bit stressful at work, big board meeting today to determine "organizational consequences" ... what the h*ll does that mean? Hopefully I'll still have a job by Thanksgiving time. It's a good thing I'm half way done with my Christmas shopping.

Sharon- You have some good looking kids!!! By the way, who's Chad?

Kim- Hang in there sweetie. Please, feel free to vent here anytime you want.

Jo- Did you have any luck in the casinos?

Well ladies, I'm off to bed. I need all the beauty sleep I can get!!!

I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia
Old 10-31-2001, 08:47 AM   #11  
Long Lost Chickie

BOO!!!!

Did I scare you? No? Oh well. That's it for me and Halloween. Didn't buy candy to give out. Didn't dress up (we have visitors coming in at work today). Didn't even wear orange or anything. Bah Humbug!

Nah, I don't really mean that. I'm just feeling icky. My period came on like gangbusters yesterday afternoon. I ended up OD'ing on Midol and going straight to bed when I got home. (Thank goodness Rich was driving.) Tossed and turned all night long. Was awakened by flashing lights about 1AM and watched as an ambulance carried off my next-door neighbor. Then I started thinking about how I hardly know any of my neighbors and it's not like it was years ago when everyone knew everyone and neighbors were close, etc. Then I got all melancholy.... Oh it must be all those raging hormones.

Anyway, I told Rich he could buy candy and hand it out if he wanted to but I'll be upstairs in the bedroom watching TV and trying to keep Watson calm when the doorbell keeps ringing. Just keep all that candy away from me!!! Of course, I got up this morning and stepped on the scale and, even after skipping dinner last night, I was UP half a pound from yesterday. I just don't get it.

Kim, I'm still thinking only good thoughts about you. Hannah's new teacher sounds great. I'm sure Hannah will come to love her when she gets used to her.

Sylvia, I'm glad to hear your MIL and Uncle-In-Law (???) are doing better. You're in my thoughts too.

CJ, sometimes you have to drag men kicking and screaming to the store. They're just like big kids. Soup recipe sounds good. I was one of those strange kids who always liked brussels sprouts.

Sharon, meant to tell you how much I liked your photos. Nice looking family there, girlie! Can't wait to get some reports on you and CJ getting together. Just stay out of trouble ... if possible.

Gotta run. Sounds like those visitors are at the front door. And my boss isn't in yet so I guess I have to babysit. Cream and sugar, gentlemen? Sheesh! Four years of college for this?!?!

Much love to you all!
Jo.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:29 PM   #12  

Angry

Happy Halloween!!!
Hope everyone is well. I've been sick and manage to loose another 2 lbs, so now I've lost 4 lbs!!!
I took a tour of the old Waverly Hills Sanitorium here in Louisville, Kentucky. Most people went because it was haunted. But I went because I love old building, houses and the architecture. This building was erected back in the 20's and has a lot of history in it. It's a beautiful old hospital and it's ashame they let this decay to what it is today. It sits on top of a hill and one could see many miles of Louisville. Luckily someone is trying to restore it to what it use to be.

CJ- we have a travel trailer, but we have yet to winterize it. We were suppose to go down to Mammoth Caves this past weekend for our last camping trip but I got sick Friday. Gave it to hubby and we stayed in bed until Sunday! We enjoy camping alot! But my husband says he experiences to much wind when pulling the trailer and it sways alot. He is wanting to turn our van in to get a duelie. Maybe before next summer. The fifth wheels always tell us they dont' experience the swaying.

Peggy-beautiful poem and it's so true!!

Sassy Sharon-Beautiful family. If I run across where that bridge is I'll let you know. A little age has made my mind a little forgetful now and then!!!lol.

Sweet Tooth -congradulations on the weight loss. I do agree with eating until your full. That is hard to do and I too have gotten better at it. Especially at restaurants. My husband gets upsets when I ask for a doggie bag. But I don't care. I usually only eat half then I save it for later or the next day when I do feel hungry. And I find I eat a lot less in the day.

Kim-hang in there. But most of all don't let anyone let you take the blame for something that isn't your fault. It's not your fault if he didn't go to work. As a mother, I guess I can understand why your mother worries. But that's just a part of being a mom. Money matters do make a lot of couples argue. Maybe there's a family counselor or sometime of support group that might help you too or perhaps your church. I know when I was going through a divorce many years again, my church said they would help if I needed groceries or rent money.I just think you probably have a full plate to deal with right now and trying to keep sane at the same time. It's hard doing it alone.

I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween! My little one, Christian is Cinderella two years in the running. I think I am taking her to my boss's church for games and stuff. So have fun everyone.
always kolika
Old 10-31-2001, 02:04 PM   #13  
Conquering with SBD

Happy Halloween, everyone. This is a very busy time of year for me. My grandfather's birthday is Oct. 29, my mom and son's birthdays are Oct. 30 and my grandmother's birthday is Oct. 31. I have been trying to get all my birthday presents in the mail and phone calls made. Then, must try to arrange for candy and stuff for the kids tonight and study for another stats exam tonight. Whew! Today's the last day and I can hardly wait. I know that I gain weight when I am under stress, but some weeks the stress doesn't stop.

Jo - Read your post and wonder how you get everything done that you need to do. I admire you for all the community service things that you do. They make a difference. About the kitchen - you really want to do this, do you? If you are having second thoughts, I could send you a picture of my kitchen - cupboards in the middle of the floor, cupboard contents laid on anything that will hold them, a layer of drywall dust on everything (gives a gritty texture to everything we eat), piles of wood in the family room, etc. We didn't have much choice with a water leak, but decided to do the whole thing at once. It is truly a disaster area at the moment. Good luck in your reno and keep us informed.

CJ - I had to chuckle when I saw your post with the soup. The night before you posted I picked up the magazine because of the diet soup advertised on the cover. I got detoured at the Christmas truffles and individual cheese cakes. Haven't tried the soup, but I am going to do so this week. I'm glad you have given it great reviews. I have tried and few other diet soup recipes that have not been all that favorable.

You mentioned before that we were once at about the same weight. I should let you know that I have a weight problem related to stress. When I started gaining (about 15 years ago), I had a terribly stressful job and would put on 10 pounds in a day, then another 10 pounds a couple of days later. I was unhappy at the job, so changed jobs after about 30 pounds. I was totally baffled by the big weight gains, in particular, when my eating habits had not changed and I had never had any kind of weight problem before. Over time, I discovered that the gains coincided with stressful times that I was unable to control, unfortunately that was when I was carrying 66 extra pounds and feeling a whole lot like a blimp. Thennnn, I read an article about some people who produce a chemical that shuts down their metabolism when they are under stress. I took the article to my doctor, who has done some research on the subject over the past two years and in the past year discovered that I am one such person. I joined this web site a year ago, but was not mentally committed to the pains required to lose weight until this past July. Something just clicked that gave me this great desire to be a normal weight once again. Once I was truly ready to commit to a weight loss program, we decided that WW would be the best for me. One of his conditions is that I check in with him immediately if I am under enough stress that the weight gain starts up again.

Well, this week has not been good in the stress department, but I have egged the problem on with a buffet that I went to last night. By this morning, I am now 5 pounds higher than Monday. I'm not feeling very good about it, but will be going to the doctor if I notice any more weight gain this week.

I think with the weight gain associated with large amounts of weight gain, I also think that the same problem, once under control, has contributed to being able to lose large amounts consistently. I have been lucky, but must constantly watch what and how I eat.

KimV - So glad to hear that you and Chad are at least talking. Hopefully, you will be able to work things out and sort out some of the problems. You do need to seek professional help to decide what is best for you and Hannah, though. When a child is involved, it makes the problem more complex. Hugs...

Sylvia - So good to hear from you. Glad your mother-in-law and her brother are doing better. It takes a load off when you know that things are working out. Glad to hear about the weight loss - let us know how much as soon as you weigh in.

Hope everyone has a great Halloween, and eat an apple if you feel the urge. LOL
Old 10-31-2001, 04:06 PM   #14  
Long Lost Chickie

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Sweet tooth, I just had to write a quick post regarding your kitchen story. I am sorry about the water leak, of course, but you put such a humorous spin to it. Especially the "gritty" food. Yum. Fiber!

Anyway, you can't scare me. ....Well, not much.... I fully expect our kitchen to look like yours sounds in the near future.

... Wonder how many calories in sawdust???

Jo.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:44 PM   #15  
Conquering with SBD

Jo, I haven't been including the dust in my point count. I bet that's why my weight has skyrocketed this week...
Closed Thread