Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many servings of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) do you have in a typical day?
None, I'm allergic to dairy 1 3.85%
1 serving 5 19.23%
2 servings 7 26.92%
3 servings 9 34.62%
4 servings 1 3.85%
5 servings 3 11.54%
6 servings 0 0%
lets just say, I could be mistaken for a cow, I eat so much dairy! 0 0%
I haven't a clue! 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 06:12 PM   #31  

I am so sorry for the shock and horror you guys are obviously going though in all the chaos that has hit.

I woke this morning to it coming over the TV and I could barley believe my eyes, then it came up saying 'if you have just tuned in this is not a movie' sure did remind me of 'Independence Day'
How anybody remotely 'human' can be so evil and perform such an underhanded ,cowardly and unprovoked act against innocent unsuspecting victims is totally beyond comprehension.

You have my deep and complete sympathy.
It is shocking enough witnessing it from the other side of the world so I cant imagine how shocked you must all be.
Jenny
Old 09-11-2001, 06:48 PM   #32  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening Everyone.

What a terrible day in our Nations history, I'm sure we are all feeling some sort of despair during all of this. I pray for those who have been hurt and for those who had family members killed in these incidents, and most of all, I pray that none of you know anyone who has been effected by this directly. The image of that plane going into the second tower, and people jumping from the building will haunt us all for a long time. When something of this magnitude happens, it makes you stop and think what's REALLY important to us! Appreciate each and every day you have, no one knows when their time will be up. This effects ALL of us, no matter where we live in this world!

I have a cousin who works for the Dept. of the Interior in DC, so I was worried about him, but found out he was fine from his sister, and he also E-mailed me as well. He said it's awful there, took him 2 hours to go home (rather than about 15 minutes). I forgot that my cousin Bennett was in his first year (how about first month) at NYU, but I hear they were bunkered down in their dorms and all was fine there. Aunt and Uncle were suppose to fly to Paris tomorrow, of course, they cancelled the trip.

Eli said had one store in each WTC building, and they pray none of the workers were hurt. Of course, you think that they were probably on the first floor. Still, was surprised that they closed here. But, many places closed, so they weren't the only ones.

I did a long post this morning and thought at the time it wasn't appropriate to post, but I will do so now, and just add to it with replies to those who posted since I wrote it and edit it a bit. We can't let this tragedy disrupt our entire lives, so we need to get back to some type of normalcy.

Got in my walk, no jogs, didn't feel like going, but comprimised and just did a steady walk and got in my 4.5 miles

Scale is still stuck on the upswing for me, hoping since TOM ended now that I will see a downward trend. Surely doesn't help that I ate all that cake yesterday-I don't care even if it's SB LEGAL, too much of anything isn't good. I've come to realize that if I bake something, I can't do so until I've figured out the nutritional information first. I think that's why I've been able to easily stay away from already made items, I know that it's too high in something or other, vs. what I make and not knowing, so somewhere inside me must think it's a green light for eating it all! I will say though, when Eli came home he tried a piece of the cake, then asked for seconds!!!! It's a keeper for sure, in the taste dept AND in the ease of making it as well!

Today is TUESDAY TIPS and the following could fall under this or FRIDAY FACTS, but since tomorrow is WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY I thought I'd get it posted today instead. I think I had posted this possibly long ago, whether I did or not, it's bears repeating

WHY THE SCALES LIE

We’ve been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can’t resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can’t bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it’s readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body’s water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don’t understand what’s happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it’s water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it’s easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn’t have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That’s why, when it comes to eating, it’s wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it’s packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it’s stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it’s associated water. It’s normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you’re prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it’s wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you’ve had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It’s the actual weight of everything you’ve had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you’ve finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it’s not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it’s likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it’s only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it’s physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you’re really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale’s sneakiest attribute. It doesn’t just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you’ve lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you’re just sitting around. That’s one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn’t differentiate between the two. It can’t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don’t be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It’s a matter of mind over scale.

FILLISE, yep, 3months at goal and almost 1 1/2 years on SB! I would of never thought the time would fly by like it has! Hopefully, the body will stop resisting again and the scale will go down, a little lower than before-would be nice. Good luck with keeping the scale away from you, you have more self-control than I do! Good going at the gym WONDERWOMAN!!!!! Oh yes, I can relate with having a turkey neck! Mine has folds, it's gross and I look forward to having it tightened sometime this year-I find myself pulling the skin back to see how I'd look with it taught, at almost 40, it makes me look older, I think. Truthfully, I need a whole body make-over, but I have to start somewhere!

BEE, I'd have to say the best thing is to totally stay away from all that junk food as well, only spells trouble, esp. when you know it's a trigger food, even if it's SB LEGAL! Thanks for your prayers for us here in the US.

BOB, Hope you made it okay to work. Eli's been working more hours than I care to count lately, lots of things going on with SB, and they will be opening a store closer to our home in a few months and he's the one they picked to open it, meaning to hire and oversee things-he may apply for to be the Mgr of the store, it's right across the street from the community college and about 3-4 miles from the house-very convenient. Did you buy anything from the anniversary-he said things were selling like hotcakes-they have a anniversary blend coffee out as well, smells great-very limited supply though.

MEL, glad to have you back safe and sound. Sounds like you were really busy and through it all, stayed OP as best you could-kudos to you! Honey, I'm with you on the bathroom deal-I wouldn't of done it either, nor would I of done it just to impress another Mother-Mother of the Year I am not! Good luck to you on the resume, seems you and SOL are looking for a job working with computers.

JRED, glad to hear you had a good bday-dinner sounded yummy and interesting! Congrats on overcoming the taste test syndrome, it's amazing when you think about all the little tastes we take how they can add up, and quickly at that!

SPARKLE, thanks for e-mailing the 3FC'S, I'm sure they appreciate all the support and knowing that we are all behind them through thick and thin. Yep, I'm honest, sometimes a little too much, but that's me! I haven't read Bridgette Jones, but do have the book-wanted to see the movie. Glad to hear your BF is okay.

RALYNNE-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you were able to enjoy the day somewhat, despite the happenings that went on today. Good luck tomorrow on WIW!

ROSALIE, thanks for your thoughts as well-I'm sure you're feeling some effects in Canada by taking in so many Americans today-guess that wasn't a stop they were planning on taking. I'm sure Eli's sister must be busy with all this, she works for American in Toronto, remember?

TV, not sure what those numbers mean, but sounds good to me!!!!

MELIRIS, PLEASE let us know what's going on with your parents!!! Have you heard from them as of yet??

Well gals, I'm gonna go, made some awful seafood for dinner-Eli's not home, so I (tried) to cook-YUCK! I wish us all good luck for WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY TOMORROW!!!!

Nite!

Debbie
194/126.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Last edited by Debelli; 09-11-2001 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #33  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

OH....MY....GAWD!!!!

THIS IS A QUICKIE....

Chris....loved your post

DEB.... ALL STARBUCKS WERE CLOSED TODAY!!!

J RED....If you've never been to NEYLAND STADIUM..home of 107,000 SCREAMING VOLUNTEER FANS.....YOU AIN'T LIVED GIRL!!!!

FLY....STAY SAFE!!!

I'm just appalled...to say the least...this is ABSOLUTELY UNSPEAKABLE!!!

Cutting it short and hoping everyone is SAFE and SOUND!!!

BOB
Old 09-11-2001, 08:42 PM   #34  

Default What a sad day

I worked today & saw very little of what was going on, by choice mostly. Every time I walked into a patient's room the TV was on , but after I saw the collapse of the towers, I tried to avoid seeing anymore. Instead, I focused on praying for our country, our leaders, & especially those in the immediate areas of danger, for those families that were directly affected. How my heart goes out to them.

Meliris I do pray that you will soon hear from your parents if you have not already heard from them & that they are indeed safe. Our prayers are with you.

I have wondered about LinMae today because I know she is from New York. I have no idea how far away from NYC she is, but I do pray that she is alright & has not been affected directly.

How about VAButterfly???

I have a niece & a nephew in the Marines & they are both in VA somewhere. I think they are both ok.

It's really hard to be about business as usual, but as all of you, I am trying my hardest to do so.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:47 PM   #35  
Golfing Gal

Hi all! Not alot happening so Ive been lurking. Was out on the golf course today when I found out about the attacks. Ive been glued to the tv all day. My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones.

I will try and check in later this week. Have a full plate tomorrow and Thursday.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:41 PM   #36  
karen3000

I tried to post earlier today but couldn't get it to the server. I'm praying for all of you affected by today's tragedy and can't imagine what you are going through. As someone else said, it was like watching a movie. The destruction is unbelievable and the ramifications will last for a long, long time. I can only hope those responsible for this destruction will come to justice.

Don't know when I'll have time to post again. I have a really long article about drinking water that I want to either post or find the web site, so I'll be working on that. Here's some info I got today:

Chocolate and Addiction

Sept. 10, 2001(Ivanhoe Newswire) — A recent study of brain activity may help explain why some people exhibit addictive behaviors.

Researchers at Northwestern University used positron emission tomography to measure the brain activity in people eating chocolate, specifically looking at areas of the brain they believe are responsible for addiction and eating disorders. The study found that the areas of the brain that were activated by eating chocolate as a reward were quite different than those areas activated by eating too much chocolate (an aversive behavior). By differentiating the brain regions involved in reward, researchers believe they can better understand addiction.

The study labeled chocolate as a "primary reinforcer," which is any stimulus that an individual doesn't have to learn to like, but is enjoyed from birth. Fat, sweets and even addictive drugs are considered among the primary reinforcers. Chocolate was chosen for the study since it is reported to be the single most craved food, possibly even addictive. Fifteen study participants ate between 16 and 74 squares of chocolate while researchers measured brain activity as the eating went from being highly pleasurable to very punishing as participants reported becoming too full.

Lead study author Dana M. Small, Ph.D., says that studying the brain's response to eating a highly rewarding food provides a model of addicts at a healthier stage. "The problem with studying addicts to understand addiction is that we don't know what their brains were like before the addiction and we therefore can't determine which brain functions have changed," said Small.

SOURCE: Brain,2001;124:1720-1733

Click here if you would like to receive a FREE weekly e-mail on Medical Breakthroughs.

Copyright © 2001 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.

I have to confess that I'm less and less OP and I can't see to get a grip on this. Please, everyone like up and give me a swift but effective kick in the ****!!! I'm feeling like I used to feel every time I started a diet that lasted for a day and then I would eat something I wasn't supposed to and completely give up. I have tried to tell myself that it's a new day and I'm starting all over, but it seems like now I have to do this every meal. When I started this WOE in Jan. I was so determined that it was very easy to do. Now I just can't seem to get with it.

In the big picture, my complaints are nothing compared to what was going on today. I'm not giving up, but I'm just not motivated and I somehow have to find a way to reach down deep inside and find that spark again.

Karen

Old 09-11-2001, 10:04 PM   #37  
Mel

Default Mom Found!

Thank you all who expressed concern about my parents. Turns out, they were just boarding the plane in Denver when they were told to get off and go home. They dawdled a bit in Denver, then went to visit a friend in Boulder who has cable TV ( they live on a mountain 10 miles outside of Boulder with no cable TV ) and stayed there most of the day. Finally thought to email all the kids .

My son is very fearful and clingy tonite- I keep telling him there's no reason for anyone to target where we live (there just ain't nothing here!) but everyone is shook up, the elementary school told the kids stories about spraying the fields so they had to stay in for recess. The kids were then sent home with notes that they weren't supposed to read for their parents, which maybe worked with little ones, but Andrew is in 5th grade and knew something was up about terrorists and police at school. It's so hard to explain something unexplainable!

But tomorrow's a new day, I plan to do my run and hope none of you have been touched personally by today's tragedies.

mel
Old 09-11-2001, 10:28 PM   #38  

Response time:

LinMae-so glad you stayed op @ casinos. I hear they ply you with alcohol. That could be a problem for me. I love margaritas. Though they may not love me. I remember what happened when I ate illegal pizza.

Rhoo-so sorry about kindergartener. My youngest was like that and tears on both sides and three months later tears on my side. He wanted to stay longer when I picked him up. Kids are so fickle. Awesome exercise soccer practice. Aren't you smart! Way to go on 137.

Rosalie-Your response to 3 sisters problem couldn't have been said better. Thanks for your support from Canada. I sure hope they rebuild the World Trade Center. That would say alot for our spirit.

Raly-Happy Birthday. Sorry it's such a sad day.

Sol-So glad you have fun on your secluded beach. How are those calves? I lol about the burping bed. Ours has a lot of air loose on a nightly basis. I'm pulling for the "geek" job. Sugar Mill Ruins sounds intriguing. Is it a Civil War site?

Deb-Congrats on 3 months at goal. Re: Michaels room. I did find a lot of missing items in Ben's room. One was my sewing kit. Go figure. Band of Brothers is a Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg miniseries on HBO. It's about WWII paratroopers. I tend to go overboard on legal stuff too (ex. Triscuits/easy cheese). Lauren & Ben must've studied at the same "drive your mom nuts over dinner" school. Hope that happens to them when they are parents too.

ID-Really liked your motivational piece. So sorry about the implants. hugs. You sound like you're not letting it get you down. My heart goes out to Michael. Hope you both get well quick. And have fun in the garden too.

Bee-Yeee Haww 5 lbs! Great job resisting the cookies. You're right cookies are like drugs. I miss White Chocolate and Macadamia nuts fresh from the oven. Though I doubt I could eat them without my tummy erupting.

Fillese-You'll have to shove me over at the table for the Salmon & Spinach. It does sound good doesn't it. Way to go Wonderwoman!!! Gosh, sorry haven't found a firming solution yet but will let you know when I do.

Bob-Give Skeeter a great big old hug for me.

Mel-Glad you had a successful trip. I definitely wouldn't have scrubbed the bathroom either. Good luck with the resumes. Heard from mom yet?

Jred-Dh sounds like a great guy. Or at least has a great sense of humor.

Chris-Hey girl. My two cents on plastic surgery. If you have the money and want to do it. You should. I am going to read "Bridget Jones Diary" I need a laugh. Glad to hear boyfriend is ok.

TV-Sounds like the TSH levels going in the right direction. Hang in there.

Well, exhausted emotionally from the scenes on tv. Physically I'm fading too. I'm wearing black tomorrow.

Night 'fly
sb since 6/29/01
185/164/145
Old 09-12-2001, 07:56 AM   #39  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Wednesday Morning Everyone.

It's still hard to imagine what took place yesterday-you wake up wanting it to all of been just a terrible nightmare. I can't even being to inagine the full magnitude of what took place. We can just continue to pray for all of those who were affected.

It's a bad weather day here in Miami, rained all night and continues this morning, just heard thunder, so I guess that's my cue for taking the dayoff from exercising.

Has anyone heard of this stuff called DERMALIN-APg? I got my REDBOOK MAG yesterday and they had an add for it. Going on the web and looking for more information about it and if it seems to work, sounds interesting and too good to be true. Here's just one of the links, from the company who makes it (cheaper elsewhere though):

http://www.dermalin.com/store/dermalin/dermalinpg1.html

It's WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY TODAY and I'm still up 2lbs from my lowest, but down 1/2 from yesterday. As long as I stay under that 129, I should be happy, but really, I want to stay under 125 now. I hope you all faired better than I did on the scales. If you'd like to post your WIW results on the WI BOARD, here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sho...p?threadid=9250

I hope BEACHFAN isn't overwhelmed at work, she works for the Red Cross, and I know they are really busy doing blood drives all over the US.

MELF, thanks for reminding us that LINMAE is in NY. She's more upstate, but did send her an e-mail just to make sure she's okay

MELIRIS, how far away are you from where the other plane went down? Thanks for letting us know you heard from your parents. Thank goodness that's where they live and were able to go home, so many people are stuck in places that they can't call home at this point.

CATLOVER, thanks for checking in!

KAREN, thanks for posting that chocolate article, was very interesting. I could only imagine if someone had probed my brain when I ate chocolate out of emotions before, the findings would of probably been wacko! Ever see a ninja? That's what I must of been like in one of my chocolate feeding frenzys! Thanks again for taking the time to post that! Okay, on being OP less and less, what do you FEEL has made a difference on how you view the plan now vs how you felt about it back in Jan.? I find that many people have a downfall when they have a small cheat and nothing happens, they don't gain, so they do so again, and then it gets to be more and more and then, it's unstoppable-do you relate to this?

FLY, I can always find missing things in Michael's room, even though he'll claim they aren't in there, telephones, scissors, tape, etc. etc. I too hope my kids will experience some of the same things with their own one day, as my Mom always said "paybacks are a b*tch!" I can now relate to that!!!

BOB, hope you don't get any of this bad weather, though I hear it's bad in Naples area. I thought of something last night, do you think they told those in the BB house about what happened? They aren't suppose to know what goes on in the outside world, but I think that would be cruel if they didn't. Michael mentioned that Monica is from NY as well.

Eli's off today, but at work. They're putting a new system in, so he had to go in at 5am to make sure it went smoothley, he's like the guinea pig, first to have it go live. Not sure when he'll come home or what we'll do today, but it will be close to home, no Broward, no Ole Ole today

Remember, TOMORROW IS RECIPE DAY so if you have any SB LEGAL RECIPES you'd like to share with the board, please, try to post them tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone!

Debbie
194/126/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Last edited by Debelli; 09-12-2001 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:11 AM   #40  
viv

Thumbs up I remember when they built the WTC...

HI Ladies...

Just wanted to hop on to exrpess condolences for anyone personally affected by this tragedy. AS you know, we're from NYC and still have lots of friends and family there. My fil works one block from the WTC and was evacuated at 930...he said people were just milling about, sightseeing - he managed to get a subway out and got off the subway in Brooklyn covered with soot. So far, everyone we know or have heard of is okay. We have a large social event to go to in WEstchester this weekend - 150 people, many of whom work in the city... don't know what's happening with that as of yet.

The most frightening thing was that my 80 yo mother had been here to visit for two weeks and took Unitd out of here at 6am yesterday am - she landed just as the first attack happened. She is now stranded in Chicago. I was able to speak with some United staff at OHare and they found her and actually got her into a hotel when they evacuated OHare. She is now just biding her time.

I had been IM-ing my financial advisor, who was looking out the window when this was all happening - he works right across the street. The one word that sticks out in my mind is when he wrote: "Armageddon".

DH works in tv news and has been burning the candle at both ends...one of their weathermen's bils was on one of the Boston flights. A friend of mine is a teacher in Norwalk and said it waspandemonium, as many of the kids have parents working in the city, on Wall Street.

May the people responsible for this burn.

Hugs and hope to you all,
Viv
Simsbury, CT
Old 09-12-2001, 11:02 AM   #41  
karen3000

Viv - I hope all your friends are ok and that your mother gets home soon. Thank God she wasn't on one of the flights that were hijacked.

I couldn't help but think of the kids going home last night to no parents. My heart breaks for them.

Karen

Old 09-12-2001, 12:38 PM   #42  
Goddess

Default Wednesday

Damn! It wasn't a nightmare--it was real. I'm still in shock. We had a prayer service last night--it was very emotional. A lot of folks in our community have children and grandchildren working in New York's financial district or the Pentagon. Fortunately everyone had heard from their loved ones, though several lived in areas that had been evacuated and did not know where they would sleep last night.

people slept last night?

I napped fitfully on the sofa with the tv on all night.

If any of you are interested, I wrote a column that is posted on

purepolitcs.com

Today is weigh-in Wednesday, but worrying about my weight seems insignificant to me right now. Though I did flirt with a major binge last night--but I decided that if I gave in to it I'd be letting those *******s win one more victory. I'm stronger than they are.

I hope everyone has located loved ones or friends.

Susan
Old 09-12-2001, 01:12 PM   #43  
Mel

Default WIW doesn't seem real important

But I did go down 1 pound.

Fillise - I too wanted to sit and gorge myself in front of the TV and had the same thought-won't give them 1 more victory! Glad all your friends and neighbors have located their loved ones.

Viv- Sure hope you mother is OK and gets home soon. Turns out mine never left Denver and will try again on Thursday. Tho I'm not sure you could pay me to go near an airport, much less get on a plane this week. Glad to hear all your friends and family are accounted for and OK.

Chris- my thoughts on surgery: I'm scared to death of it and not into self-inflicted pain, but if I had the money, I'd go for it. A few of my friends have had neck and eye jobs already and swear they feel like new people. My problem is I need new skin, not just less of it. My first pregnancy left me with belly skin that looks like a two week old helium balloon that got popped. Really, really gross. So if it will make you feel like the person you know you are inside- GO FOR IT!

Deb- That cream stuff sounds great! I remember reading about it several years ago in a hard news article. Kind of expensive- you try it first and let us all know if it works. Sounds like a very attractive alternative to crunches and squats. Or at least a good way to see the results of crunches and squats. As someone said last week, I know I've got six pack abs under there somewhere! Also- send some of that rain north- we haven't had any to speak of this summer and blue sky is getting depressing.

Rosalie- We used to live in Toronto and my husband grew up in Welland. Where are you from? We received so many calls and emails from Canadian friends yesterday -just really appreciated the concern they all had for this country. My dh loves to bring up the mouse and elephant analogy to explain his feelings about living here now, but this time the elephant got stomped on.

Sent off my resume this am to 2 computer geek jobs-we'll see what happens. I don't feel ready to work full time. Sure will mess up my work-outs and tennis game!!

Good luck to all for WIW!

Mel
Old 09-12-2001, 02:46 PM   #44  
sef

Like everyone else I have been glued to the TV. Right now it is turned up loud enough so I can hear. Good thing no one else is home!

The sheer magnitutde of it all. So many innocent lives lost, the fortitude of rescue workers. The strength of the American people that we will not be overcome by any force. The terrorist attack has only brought the community of America together.

My one concern is that there will be people who will lump other people of the same ethnic race as ther terrorists into one lump. There are many Muslims and Arabs that are friendly to us. We do not want to see the backlash against those living among us as there was after WWII when concentration camps put in place for American Japanese.

I was only 5 when Pearl Harbor happened, yet today I can remember the way the adults around me were reacting. There was extreme saddness and uncertainity. I was told that some people had done something bad but not to worry it couldn't happen here! Times have changed.

On a lighter note, I am still here and beginning to feel better, the weather is nicer and that has a lot to do with it.

On a same old thing note I did not lose anything and as a result I drowned my sorrow in extra legal carbs, which when over done is not legal!!!!

Let all remember the families that are left behind not knowing the fate of their loved ones and can only imagine the worse.

Shirley
Old 09-12-2001, 06:52 PM   #45  

Viv, glad to hear that your Mom is safe & hope that your friends are too.

Karen, you are soooo right...poor kids that had to go home to face a house empyt of parents that were killed in that booming, or in one of those planes!

Fillise , if only it had been a nightmare! I went to that site you posted, but which of the articles is yours???

Fillise & Meliris, funny how we think when we're under stress. Both of you talked about going on a food binge...I also almost dove into the box of donuts yesterday at work, but I talked myself out of it thinking that it would not serve any other purpose than to make me feel guilty later. It sure would not have changed anything that happened. But strange how we do want to revert back to food at a time like that.

On a brighter note, I did lose another pound. I was down to my lowest weight of 143 this morning, just 3 lbs from goal.

174/143/140
Closed Thread