Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 AM   #1  

Default Sugarbusters Weekly Support Board 10/24 - 10/30

Welcome to Sugarbusters!

This is the Sugarbusters support board, where anyone following, or interested in following, Sugarbusters is welcome to come for discussion, and support. We hope you will become a part of our great group!

We try to have different themes for different days of the week.

MONDAY: MMM, or Metal Monster Monday, is when we weigh in, and post our progress. This is voluntary.

TUESDAY: Is tip day- we try to share a tip, or two to help each other.

WEDNESDAY: Is Wonderful Wednesday. On Wednesdays, we share something wonderful about our selves, or our lives.

THURSDAY: Is Thirst Day! A reminder to drink your water! Its a good day to share a recipe too!

FRIDAY: Is FF, for Friday funnies. Everyone needs a laugh on Friday!

You are welcome to post questions, vent frustrations, whatever, but please be respectful of others and their beliefs.

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/for....php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/for....php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=995990#post995990

NEWBIES: To post a reply, please hit reply and NOT new thread
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #2  

Default Challenges!

Challenges!

Oh! Look! See the carrot! Get your veggies in!

The pumpkin has an evil smile. It reminds you NOT to eat Halloween candy!

See Smilie relax! You do something nice for you too!

Drink your water too!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #3  
Addicted to potato salad!

Yesterday was Sunday...and I had an ON PLAN day!! Just love that carrot!!

MMM...Okay, time to fess up to the debotchery (sp?) of Los Angeles...I'm in at 160. Hopefully after an OP week this week, MMM next monday will be well into the 150's

Not much time to chat this morning. Have to take a shower and get ready for preschool. I have new sweaters to wear from Kohl's. What a nice store. Lots of clothes for my age group...slightly trendy, but not too teenagerish, but not too...you know...gramma-ish. And the accessories!! My DD and I spent at least 45 mins looking at earrings and necklaces!! Very pretty stuff, too!!

Okay...gotta run. Junior's driving me nuts...I have laundry folded on the dining room table and he's come in with a ball of Kyle's socks, then some kitchen towels, then one of Kyle's sneakers...I offically gave up a pair of my sneakers and a pair of slippers and let him chew on them because they're officially his. But now that they're his, now he's not interested in them...just the stuff that's off limits, of course.

Okay...I'm off to the shower!! Talk to you guys later..

Oh...one more thing. I took DD to the doctor on Friday and DD is in the 90th percentile on her weight, so I told her I was having her do my Sugar Buster's diet and she insisted that it is a low carb diet. I said, no, it's not low carb, but low insulin producing...low carb ends up being low sugar most times, but low sugar doesn't necessarily mean low carb. She flat out refused to agree with me, so we ended up coming to the middle and agreeing that it's the same as the phase two South Beach. Anyhow...we both agreed that its a good idea for DD since she should be more closer to the 50th percentile in weight and that she doesn't need to be on a diet, but just watch her sugary intake. This morning for breakfast, I let her have Life cereal, which I think is good for a kid, and gave her a cheese sandwich (she won't eat deli meat) with real american cheese (from the deli, not the prewrapped sliced stuff), mayo, brown mustard on sourdough, baby carrots with low carb ranch for dipping, unsweetened applesauce and a Nature Valley granola bar...and crystal light to drink.

Okay...really going now...Kris Did I mention I love the cool new carrot?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #4  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Just talked to Deb and they have lost their power, one of her big trees went down across the street so no one could get out if they wanted too!
We're having strong wind and rain and we've been told to not get out for at least 6-8 hrs.
I'm outta here for now but will be back..

BOB
Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #5  
Little Engine That Could

Greetings from wet and windy central Florida. Wilma is just about through the state, but the big bands of wind and rain still are here, and we have a very gray day with lots of rain and gusts. In fact, the schools are even closed here and my DH's office is closed because the courthouse is closed. So we are here watching TV and doing chores. I probably will do a lot of French today. The temp. is supposed to drop down to the 70's in the day and low 60's and lower at night, so we will turn off the AC and enjoy the fresh air when the rain stops.

There was a very interesting article in USAtoday about how some people, in an attempt to maintain optimum health and extend their life span, go on extremely low calorie diets. Actually, 1800 calories did not see that low to me. But there was a side panel that listed other stuff people could do to help maintain good health and I thought it was good enough to copy and post. So here is my "Welcome Monday" gift to everyone:

If severely cutting your diet is too high a price to pay for longer life, recent studies have suggested that the average person can take these steps:

If you smoke, quit

Smoking accelerates the aging process and puts people at risk of heart disease, emphysema and a long list of cancers, including lung cancer.

Slim down

A recent study suggests the nation's obesity problem could derail much of the past century's progress in extending life. Obesity can trigger heart disease, diabetes and other life-threatening conditions. “Getting rid of the fat may be the most potent way to slow down the aging process,” says Thomas Perls, director of the New England Centenarian Study.

Work your body

Scientists already have identified a therapy that keeps the body running at top capacity throughout life: exercise. “It's the closest thing we have to a Fountain of Youth,” says Jay Olshansky of the University of Illinois in Chicago. Regular physical activity wards off heart disease, diabetes and maybe Alzheimer's. It also seems to reverse some aspects of aging. For example, lifting weights can help boost muscle mass, which declines as people get older.

Load up on fruits and vegetables

There's no proof yet, but many experts believe a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help protect people from a laundry list of age-related diseases, including heart disease and cancer. Fruits and vegetables contain powerful antioxidants that help neutralize damaging molecules called free radicals that are thought to play a role in the aging process.

Avoid junk food

That includes white bread, white rice, soda, chips, pastries and cakes. Instead, experts such as Luigi Fontana of Washington University in St. Louis recommend foods that are packed with nutrients, such as whole-grain bread, brown rice, fish and nuts such as almonds or pecans.

Stay connected

Studies show a connection between social isolation and depression and other diseases, says Christine Himes Fordyce at the Group Health Cooperative in Seattle. People who volunteer, join social groups or just maintain their ties with friends and family seem to live longer, she says.

Don't sweat the small stuff

People who live a long time often seem to have good coping skills, Perls says. They'll turn to prayer, meditation, or even humor to help get them through a stressful situation. Many studies have linked stress to a damaged immune system and killer conditions such as heart disease.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #6  

Well, I'm back from Marietta. I brought back a inus infection and Jake got into something he shouldn't have. There are so many people over there, and it's so crazy. Somebody must have left out something with wheat or something and he got to it. He's cried all night for 2 days, had several diaper blowouts (no blood, thank god) and he's got an excema breakout all over his body. All over a piece of toast or something. He wants to be held non stop. He so miserable. I hate to see him like this and not be able to do anything for him. It just turns him into a different baby. I wonder how much of this he will grow out of.

I'm not going to go to the Y this morning. Jake is fine if I'm around, but I don't want someone else to get impatient with him if he starts fussing. He's mostly Ok, but I think I'll wait it out another day. BEcides. My sinuses are so bad that I can't move my neck. U+I hate being sick! Maybe I can go after Trav gets home. Or I could pull out my old Belly dance video

And you'll be happy to know that we gave in and turned on the heater this morning. It's only 45 degrees here. I guess it's time. With Jake and me sick I don't want to make anything worse. He had a pretty high fever last night. We were hoping to be able to insulate the house before it got this cold. This months Arbonne check should be good, so maybe we can still do it. Last winter was so miserable. We did get some insulation done in the kids room. It should be better this year.

Selah came in this morning at 5 and crawled in bed with us. She layed there half asleep and sung the whole VEggieTales song. I didn't even realize she could do that! During breakfast I asked her if she could sing it and she jsut went for it. How do they get so big?

BOB- Stay safe, and keep us posted. Thanks for the update on Deb.

Tech- You go girl!!! An OP day on Sunday is a big deal!!! I would dance like a carrot, too Good job on keeping yout DD focused on eating healthy instead of going on a diet. I started dieting at 12, and it was miserable. It warped everything I believe about myself, and I still struggle with it.

Monet- I'll call you
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #7  

Gator- We were posting at the same time. You stay safe, too. Enjoy your day at home with your man Trav and I snuggled on the couch under 3 blankets last night and watched Phantom og the Opera, again... Yes, I made popcorn. I'm such an addict! At least I make it myself with Coconut oil.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #8  

Talitha: Popcorn with coconut oil? That sounds so good it sounds like one of Monet's tricks!! We have a little boy in preschool that has a peanut allergy. Like, if he has anything with peanuts, his throat closes shut!! So, on the snack list, it says NO PEANUTS all over it and we have graham crackers for a back up just in case. I can't imagine living life with a kid with a violent allergy and always being worried that they'll come in contact with that allergen. I'd be a constant wreck! Its also cold here and the remnants of Wilma are supposed to spur on a Nor'easter for us and bring us rain/snow mix in a day or so! Imagine, a tropical system bringing us snow...

Gator: Thanks for that article...so, basically, it's saying to quit smoking, keep lots of friends, get some exercise and eat the Sugar Busters way for a long, happy, healthy life. I wonder what scientist was paid gobs of money to come up with what we all learned in gym class!! No matter how you slice it, it's all just common sense, isnt it?

Bob and Gator: Take care of yourselves!! And lets hope this is it until next fall!! What a year it's been!!

Okay...today for lunch I had leftover chicken from dinner last night, sliced up and on a sandwich on WW bread and I think I'll go make a smoothie to top it off. I skipped breakfast because I was too busy getting trash out, hubby and DD off to school or work and Kyle up and at 'em for preschool and getting Junior situated for the kitchen while I was gone.

Will be back later...Kris
Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #9  

Just a question, has nothing to do with weight loss. We have a stray cat that had two kittens at our house yeah, I know. Anyway, one kitten is great and the other one is healthy, but seems to be blind. He was very late opening his eyes and they are only about half open and a whitish yellow color. Actually, I'm not even sure he has "eyes". AAAWWWW! He's so cute but pitiful! I'm taking him to our vet this Wednesday to get her opinion. Has anyone dealt with a blind kitty? Can they grow to lead happy lives or is it more humane to have the put down . We seem to be falling in love with the little guy. I have heard of older cats that go blind doing well, but they already know their way around. Do you think he can learn to get around and be OK ? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #10  

Default Still hanging in there!

Only have a few minutes to post. This week will be busy with prepping for husband's b-day on Friday so I may be a little scarce this week.

I'm feeling much better this week. Thanks for all the supportive comments shared by so many last week. I had a REALLY hard time with the death of that little baby and had a 2-day migraine and several sleepless nights. Got some decent sleep and said my prayers. That's about all I can do to ease what I'm feeling.

The MM has also given me some reprieve! I'm actually down 2 1/2 but y'all know that slider thing won't calculate losses like that. HOOORRRAAYYY! I have to say that portion control may be the biggest aid to my success.

Me and the Tad went to the pumpkin patch yesterday. See attached. I was so happy to finally be able to put her in the "Ugg" boots and sweater I made her. Just love that little baby so much!

To all our friends being visited by Wilma: HANG ON!! and let us know when you're ok!

TALITHA - Hope Jake is better soon!

Gotta go take care of a few things before the baby calls me again! Check back with y'all later!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin baby.jpg (34.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Frog Lover; 10-24-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #11  

FROG: OMG!! I hope you have that picture blown up into an 8X10. That is so darling!! I don't use that word very often, but that's the first word that comes to mind. And... 2 1/2 pounds is fantabulous!!

THIN: I don't know...I think I'd have to say I'd give the lil critter a chance to use her other senses to get around...you know...whiskers, ears, paws, nose....these senses will be more hieghtened with the loss of sight and she'll get around fine. I'd definitely keep her a house cat, though. I'd be afraid to let her go outside to fend for herself. Let us know what the doctor says. Little kitties are so cute. Ask Monet...she's got a whole pet shop of cats/kitties at her house!! I"m so jealous!!

Where the heck is Laurie and Crystle?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #12  

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T HURT THE KITTY!!!!!!!!
Ok, I'm not a big animal lover. Not that I don't like them, but I typically would be one to say it if the little guy needed to be put down. Actually, I tend to be very pick about which animals I like. BUT.. We had a blind cat growing up, and it was amazing!!!! That cat was so smart. We found it as a stray and it was clearly still very young. Had been beaten and scarred. IT was the ugliest kitty you'd ever seen. We named it RADAR, because it just knew where things were without being able to see. It could feel around things just by it's wiskers (except for the time my mean brother clipped them). It was truely amazing to watch. Radar was the most loving cat I've ever known. And the only pet that my whole family (yes, all 12 of us!) could agree to love. Think of it this way, if your kitty was born blind, it doesn't know what it is missing. It will learn to live like any other animal. It doesn't have to adjust from life before being blind, like one that loses sight. My homeschoolin' momma used Radar for character lessons all of the time. That cat tought us so much about living with what we had, being happy no matter what, trusting God to tell us where to go next. I think you are the luckiest person on earth to have a blind kitty. Don't let it go!

ANyway, I'm done with my begging...

Frog- That child of yours is so gorgeous! I understand how you feel about the loss of that baby. It's devestating when a child dies. I'm glad you're starting to feel a little more peace about it. I can't immagine losing one of my babies.

Tech- only use coconut and olive oils. The coconut oil is something I picked up from The Makers Diet, based on Biblical eating principals. I I follow a good amount of the ideas. It's amazing to see how some of the things that God put in place as restrictions back them con be totally validated by moder science and knowledge about our bodies and nutrition. Popcorn is still probobly not SB legal, but it's a treat I ahve to have oncein awhile, and I don't feel like something that God made naturally should be off limits. So, I eat corn when I want to.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #13  

Evening everyone! Its been a busy day! I went to feed my fish and noticed something was not quite right. The pump motor was not running and the water was yucky. So, I had to add solving that problem to my day. After a call to my son in law who keeps a 50 gallon tank, my head was reeling. He rattled off all kinds of stuff I needed, and I was terribly confused. I headed to Wally world and ended up purchasing another top filtration system, in a five gallon hexagonal tank. It looks neat. It took all afternoon to get the tank running, and I had to take Bert and Ernie out and put them in a quart jar while I fixed the new tank, then let it run a few hours. It would have been better to let it run longer, but they could not stay in a quart jar more than a few hours. They lost all their color. ( they are long finned black striped tetras) Now that they are calming down, their color is returning. Poor things. I could not find the tiny snails my neighbor brought me to eat the algae. I almost wonder if one of them got into the pump and messed it up. So, now I have enough tank space for a few more fish. I have wanted a bigger tank for ages...the old one was only two gallons...the new one is five. I may get more tetras, so they will school. They like to be in groups of about five... I will also get a algae eater, and a bottom feeder to keep the tank clean. The old was was so nasty on the bottom!

I talked to Fillise for a while this morning, as she was driving on her way home. She was going to hit Atlanta, much farther south then me, at four. It was not going to work well to meet up, so hopefully we can arrange something in a week or two. She has a lot going on right now, but hopes to be able to check in now and then.

One of our kitties is sick. I found her sleeping under my son's window yesterday...and it was weird because I could barely get her to wake up, when she is usually very excited to see anyone and is rather vocal. We brought her in and James has been keeping her in his room. She has swollen glands, and her eyes have a lot of ickies in them. Yesterday she would not eat, but today, she seems more perky and drank some water, then later some chicken broth. Poor thing.

I fixed chili for dinner tonight. I know you all get sick of hearing this, but I made it in the pressure cooker and it turned out SO good! The pressure cooker and the Penzey's chili powder were a dynamic combination! I am stuffed!

I hope our Florida gals are ok...You all check in and less us know you are ok!

I am off to prepare for bed. I am tired and achy.

Doncha just LOVE this guy?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #14  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Ladies

The wind is still up and strong enough to blow you down..Tippy went out a while ago and she didn't stay long...just long enough!
The rain is over. I was up all night watching and waiting for the storm to hit. I did lay down this afternoon and got some sleep, and I'm ready to hit the hay again!
When we went to dinner with my Brother, there was so much wind over on Siesta Key. There was debris everywhere..things flying through the air...He is on his way over to Miami for the rest of the week. Their meeting is at one of Donald Trumps hotels...he told me the name of it but I can't remember it for the life of me! I game him a few places to go eat. I should have told him to call Debbie...she would have directed him to SHORTY'S for BBQ....HE LOVES THAT!!
I have sat in this computer chair for the past three days and I'm so stiff.
I just woke up....sitting in this computer chair...I'll not be able to walk tomorrow!
I'm off to bed...I'll talk to y'all tomorrow..

BOB
Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #15  

I forgot a few things in my discourse about my fish. ( I KNOW you all were SO fascinated by that! )

FROG: The picture is adorable. Makes me wonder what she was thinking. Hooray on the loss!

GATOR: Great information, as usual! Thanks for posting.

BOB: Be careful! Check in!

TALITHA: Get well wishes for you and Jake. Give him a hug and a kiss from Auntie Monet.

TECH: That is TOO funny about Junior and the laundry!

TONI: Where are you?

PANCHO: Ditto!

Ok, that is it for me...
Closed Thread