Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #1  

Default Sugarbusters Weekly Support Board 8/1 - 8/7

Welcome to Sugarbusters!

This is the Sugarbusters support board, where anyone following, or interested in following, Sugarbusters is welcome to come for discussion, and support. We hope you will become a part of our great group!

We try to have different themes for different days of the week.

MONDAY: MMM, or Metal Monster Monday, is when we weigh in, and post our progress. This is voluntary.

TUESDAY: Is tip day- we try to share a tip, or two to help each other.

WEDNESDAY: Is Wonderful Wednesday. On Wednesdays, we share something wonderful about our selves, or our lives.

THURSDAY: Is Thirst Day! A reminder to drink your water! Its a good day to share a recipe too!

FRIDAY: Is FF, for Friday funnies. Everyone needs a laugh on Friday!

You are welcome to post questions, vent frustrations, whatever, but please be respectful of others and their beliefs.

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/for....php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/for....php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62575

NEWBIES: To post a reply, please hit reply and NOT new thread.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #2  

Thumbs up Challenges!

Weekly Challenges:

1. Set a goal for this week. Something like finishing up a project you have been procrastinating on....or cleaning out a drawer, or measuring to see how far you have come...

2. Take some ME time, and do something for yourself.

3. Make an exercise plan and just DO it! (and POST it! )
Old 08-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #3  

Good Morning! The scale finds me up 1.5 this morning. Not sure what that is all about, but it is. Last night,after church, we went to a place called The Loop, which is a Chicago pizza place. (the Loop being the downtown area in Chicago...the area 'looped' by the elevated train, or L as its called) I got a Greek salad and did not eat the croutons. It had feta and kalamata olives, and balsamic vinegarette. Maybe it was too salty... Tom started reading my Rosedale book and pointed out that he says in the first couple of chapters that some people with serious leptin problems might not lose for the first three weeks. This is week three, so Tom is encouraging me to continue with it another couple weeks. In the meantime, I have the second book, called Mastering Leptin, to read. Its still discouraging. I hope MMM is better for everyone else.

I am trying to knit a scarf by 11 am, as I am going out to lunch with a friend who had her 50th birthday Saturday. I better go and get going on it...I am almost half done!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #4  
Goddess

Default Good Monday Morning!

I'm trying to get in early this week, so I won't be AWOL.

I had a quiet weekend, but this week looks anything but quiet. I don't really have much to report--still plodding along. I hope everyone is doing well and has a great OP week!

B-1 WW english Muffin, 1 tsp (yes, I measured) Natural PB and 2 tsp SF blackbrry jam. Black Coffee.

Susan
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #5  
Little Engine That Could

Hi everyone--
I'm baaaack!
Our trip to visit my DS and BIL and then spend 4 days in the mts. was great. Not great food-wise, but really fun and good to see my family. My BIL still struggles with the effects left from his cancer and my DS needs a break.

We walked like crazy in the mts. We spent all 4 days at an inn in Townsend, TN which is right outside the Smokies Nat. Park. We hiked almost 8 miles one day and another 6+ miles. My DH's boot came apart at the end of the second hike, so we had to switch to hiking in our walking shoes, so the paths we chose were then much easier: 3+ miles. The day we left we went on a 3.5 mile hike to an old school house out in the woods. It reminded me of the old school house on Little House On the Prairie. I tried to eat pretty carefully, and figured all the hiking would be some help, but actually, the extra calories burned were only about 300-400. I took my box of Shredded Wheat 'n Bran, and had 1/2 peach on it for breakfast. But for dinner we had a nice meal, and twice we had a fondue dinner (cooked in bouillon) which was served at the inn. It finished with a dark chocolate fondue dessert, which was Yummmmy! And my sister fixed yummy meals, but not low cal, so I added a couple of pounds. So I'm back to strict plan today.

We went to an art and craft fair in Gatlinburg while we were there in the mts. and found out about a folk art show held twice a year in Cincinnatti. We love folk art, so we are looking into going to the March show next year. We bought a painting done on an old tin ceiling tile, and it is now hanging over our bed. Speaking of our bed, it is really comfortable, and it was good to snuggle up into the soft "memory" foam, which is more comfortable than what we were sleeping on during our trip.

We brought back 1 1/2 bushels of peaches, and I plan to make peach/apple conserve and put it up in jars. It is a yummy dish and worth all the work to make the conserve. The peaches still need to reach the peak of ripeness, so probably won't do it until the end of the week.

I checked the board a couple of times last week when we were with my DS, and posted one time.
CINDY--My deepest condolences go out to you and we keep you in our prayers. I know you have been through a lot. All of us on this board love you and care about what is happening and are here for you.

BOB--Hope you are feeling better.
I see there was some posting last week about meat loaf recipes. Here's my contribution:
Use Maverick ground beef, which is lower in fat and has no hormones, steroids, or antibiotics. Separately, chop a slice of WW bread in the mini processor and add to the crumbled beef. Then in the mini or regular processor, chop an onion, a carrot, parsley, dash of no-sugar catsup, any left-over veggies in your fridge, a spash of milk, salt and pepper. Chop to a chunky "sauce" or "paste" and add to the meat. Add some chopped cheddar cheese and mix all together. Form into a mounded loaf and top with some more NSA catsup. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or till done. The maverick beef does not need to be cooked as long as regular.
The cheese makes it especially yummy, as does the addition of the veggie chunky "slurry". You can adapt to any other meat loaf. Sometimes I hard boil and egg, peel it and shape the loaf around the egg. Looks pretty when sliced.

Re. the salad dressing, I do the same as Monet, using the Good Seasons dry mix, Italian. But I reverse the proportions of oil and vinegar, so it is about 25 calories per T.

Pancho--How did your test go? When do you get your results? I hope that they find nothing major and just tell you the same as they told me.

I have a ton of laundry to do today, and lots of chores, grocery shopping, etc. Also, need to get out there and walk, and want to wash my hair. So I better stop. Will try to post more later. Have a great MMM day and hope everyone has better numbers to post than Monet and I.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #6  

Ok, I'm back. I"M GOING TO STICK WITH THIS!!!

Last week was a down week emotionally. I just need to get focused. So I'm going to the library to get the SB book. I got in a new order of my shakes, which I had run out of. I've gained back everything I lost. You wouldn't believe the crap I ate last week!!!

So, my brother is in town with my nephew. He is in the middle of a really nasty divorce. It's heart breaking. He lives in Kansas city and drove out for a week. It's so good to have him here.

I had my appt with the homeopathic Dr. All of the testing was pretty interesting. It shows that I have an autoimune thyriod disorder. And that my liver and kidneys are under strain. He works up this whole personalized detox for you. I'm excited about it.

Saturday was supposed to be our first family day in weeks. Trav woke me up and said he had to go int o work for jsut a few hours. He left at 8am and didn't get home until 5am!!! 18 hours!!!!! I'm so disappointed. although, I know the money is going to make a huge difference. He said he made something like $550!!

Jake is screaming. I'll be back to reply later.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone!!! Well I stayed the same this week. Which is okay with me. Hopefully this week will be better since I've started Phase 1 of South Beach. Just going on it for two weeks to get myself away from the bad stuff I've been eating and back on the Sugar Buster track. Hope I can do it. Nope wrong word I can do it is better!!! I've started out the day with 2 cups black coffee, a juice glass of skim milk and 2 scrambled eggs eggs with onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and a slice of homegrown tomato in it. So my tummy is nice and full. Now to get started on my water!

Monet- I'll bet thats water you're retaining from the olives etc. Hang in there gal!!! Your knitting sounds so wonderful, what a great thing to have so much talent. I'll bet your friend is so proud of her scarf...

Fillise- Morning lady you're on here nice and early. Its a great way to start the week isn't it?

Gatorgal- Your vacation sounds so wonderful. What beautiful surroundings you were in. We have to go over the Smokie Mtns. to get to the kids house in South Carolina and its breathtaking. I can't just imagine your walks and be envious.

Talitha- I'm so sorry you had a bad week but can so understand. But you sound as if you're ready to go again. Rereading the SB book can help give you a boost. So go for it.... And heres wishing you luck on this week.....

Time to go start my day. Be back later....
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #8  
Spiritual Crone

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and happy to hear what you all have to say.
This morning I'm down 2 lbs, thankfully. Camped all weekend, watched what I ate and walked, walked, walked. Hope this morning finds you well!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #9  
Little Engine That Could

Talitha--Welcome to the club!! That's the same thing Monet and I struggle with re. the thyroid. My holistic dr. calls it Hashimoto's disease and my regular MD. says that after a while you can get rid of it. I wonder, and hope the MD is right. I take Synthroid (which, I think, is a mixture of T4 and T3) and cytomel (which is all T3) to rev my body up. I still lose Veeeeerrrrrry slowly and gain almost overnight if I am not watching like a hawk everything I put into my mouth. Monet and I send our sympathy your way but know that you can get this under control. We're wishing you the best.

Welcome, Brenda. Have you read the Sugar Busters book? How long have you been "sugar busterin' "? Where did you camp. I just love camping, but my DH (dear husband) no longer likes to sleep on the ground, on an air mattress, or on a camp cot. So we have not camped in a long while.

I got my walk in but it was hot, partly because I didn't get out there until after 11.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy MMM.

I'm sorry to report I'm not going to be the one to post good knews for MMM.
Weekend eating was pretty ugly. Of course, it is Monday, time to start over. Why do we do these things to ourselves

I limped away on the TM this morning for 18 minutes. It actually felt better to jog some. I decided it was going to hurt and I couldn't wait forever to get back on there. The week is less busy this week so hopefully I will be able to get all my exercise in.

I'm back to counting calories and journaling. I need to go to the store and get a good food scale. Even though I should know how to "eye-ball" things as long as I have been doing this.

bf: 2 hardboiled eggs, coffee.
snacK: 30 pieces of cashews (I counted)
Lunch, 1 pc wwbread (45 Calories) chicken salad, peach
Dinner, Big salad with either steak or chicken.

Monet, hope next week you really lose and you will be able to keep going on his WOE. The fun fur makes a pretty scarf. Hope your friend likes it.

Susan, have a good week and I hope you can get on here some.

Gator, what a lovely trip you had. Glad you had so much fun. But also glad you are back. I'm confused on the oil/vinegar dressing. Oil (olive oil) has 120 calories in a Tbls. How do you only get 25?

Talitha, you are not the only one that ate crap last week. Join the club. Let's get focused and have a better MMM next week. Have a nice visit with your DB. Sorry about this divorce.

Toni, Yes you are right, you CAN do it. Good luck this week.

Brenda, welcome. SOunds like you are off to a good start with those 2 lbs. Walking is great. Post away and ask any questions you may have. Is this your first time doing SB? Let us know more about you.

Got to run, have a great day.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #11  
Little Engine That Could

Jackie--Re the salad dressing--If you use the Good Seasons salad dressing bottle, or follow the recipe on the Good Seasons Italian dressing packet, it calls for 1/4 Cup vinegar, some water and 1/2 cup of oil. I reverse it, and fill the bottle up to the vinegar line with oil (1/4 cup), add about half way up to the oil line (the top line) with red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar (that's about 2/5 cup or slightly less than 1/2 cup), add the Good Seasons Italian dressing powder, and then finish off with enough water to reach the top (or oil) line. It makes about a cup of dressing and with only 1/4 cup of oil in the whole batch, you only have only 400 calories of oil, and the salad dressing powder = 40 calories. That is a total of 440 calories per cup, and 440 divided by 16 tablespoons (16 T = 1 cup) that is 25 calories per T. I sometimes use olive oil, but normally use Canola oil, which is also high in monounsaturated fats. I keep my dressing in the fridge, and olive oil thickens a little and gets cloudy in the fridge, but the canola does not.

Re. the scale, I got a really good one through King Arthur's Flour, their Baker's catalogue. It has a platform for setting bowls on, etc, and converts from oz. to grams. I use it often for measuring flour, etc. for baking, as it comes with a chart. It cuts down on bowl usage and is indispensible for keeping track of how much cereal in my bowl, amount of meat on my plate, etc. It has one of those things where you can zero out, even when there is a bowl sitting on the scale. That way I can get a precise measurement.

Last edited by GatorGal; 08-01-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #12  

Hey everyone! I just got in from lunch with my friend. We went to Red Lobster, and I got grilled salmon, steamed veggies and salad. I did not even eat a bite of the cheddar cheese biscuits! I was pretty proud of myself. I did get the scarf done and wrapped for her gift. I don't know if she liked it or not...guess I will see if she wears it ever! Her family gave her a kitten for her birthday, so we stopped at Petsmart to get a collar and tag for it. I picked up a golden snail for my fish tank, which is all covered in algae. I hope the poor snail likes it in there, and cleans off the algae!

TALITHA: I will be interested to hear what your homeopathic doctor says about the detox and thyroid issues. I got my leptin book over the weekend, and read a bit on thyroids. The doctor who wrote the book says that Leptin problems are what cause the thyroid to slow down. Of course, if yours is autoimmune, it might be different. I have an autoimmune disease, but its not a thyroid one, but Lupus. I suppose it might effect the thyroid too....

GATOR: Glad to see you back! Sounds like you had some awesome walks up there!

TONI: How's it going with no grains and stuff? The knitting is easy and fun. Do you do any crafts?

FILLISE: I had wondered what happened to you last week! I hope this week isn't as bad! Are you up for a trip this way? We could meet in Fayetteville and see Julia, if you are interested...

BRENDA: Welcome to Sugarbusters! We are glad you are here! Jump in and join us! My husband and I like to camp, well, he more than me, but oh well! How long have you been sugarbusting?

I need to go get some stuff done, so I will be back later, I hope. I have a meeting tonight, so I need to have dinner ready and lunches for tomorrow at least planned out!

Everyone please fill out a new bio form located on the main page, up in the sticky threads!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #13  
Spiritual Crone

We "camped" at a place in Monroe Michigan called Harbortown RV Resort. When we go with my dad, we use his motorhome. My husband preferred the old fashioned tent stuff as do I. I've been sugar bustering for a few months. I am borderline diabetic and just getting my feet wet in this.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #14  

Hi everyone:

I don't have time for personal replies, but hope to have time to tomorrow. We are going to go see Madagascar and some point tomorrow and go drop off some bags of donations to the charity store.

First of all....MMM, I was at 123#, but am not surprised; TOM hit hard and I am not feeling too great. The kids made cupcakes yesterday and I ate 2, as well as some other non-SB foods. I was also going to get to the gym early today but didn't; I was too tired. Lane had a coughing fit last night that caused her to throw up in her bed, so I had to give her a bath and change her bedding late at night.

We have been getting some awesome monsoon storms at night, with quite a bit of rain..I am so happy to see it.

Today we had swim lessons, and then to Costco to get a pizza and to my sister's house. We had a good visit. I guess my parents have decided that they never want to resolve the issues with me and they want to retire out of state in a few years. They said they want to keep negative sources out of their lives. It's so pathetic; I can't even begin to explain my feelings on this entire ordeal.

I don't know if I ever told you all about a drink I found called Izze; they sell them at Target for $2.99 for a 4-pack. I found them today at Costco; two twelve packs for $9.99. They are 8 oz cans of fruit juice mixed with sparkling water and a little carbonation. They are so refreshing. The only sugar in them is from fruit concentrates. I guess they sell 12-oz bottles as well, but that's too big for us. The kids love them, and so do I. I have been trying to cut out caffeine, due to the heart arythmia issues, as well as artificial sweeteners, so it is wonderful! They have blackberry, pomegranted (sp?), grapefruit, clementine, blueberry, etc... You should try them. If nothing else, they are a great alternative for the kids.

I really gotta go get dinner ready; I hope to do personal replies tomorrow.

Gator: WELCOME HOME!!

Take care,
Nat
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #15  
Addicted to potato salad!

Not much time for replies...will do so tomorrow. MMM has me at 160 and holding today. Eating has been very, very bad...but as I may have mentioned, I'm officially maintaining for the summer. I'm eating sensibly, but allowing a few illegals is all. Once the kids go to school and the potato salads, etc, etc are gone...I'm planning on a week or two of NO carbs to jump start myself and then be normally Sugar Busting my way into a size ten before my birthday in november!! My size 12's are holding their own!!

So...I just had to tell you guys about the awesome thuderstorm we had. It was purple on the radar!! We never get that!! So, we positioned ourselves on the front porch so I could fold a basket of wash and watch the lightning. The kids were with me, as was Junior. So, I noticed that the lightning was getting a little close and the thunder a little loud, so I said, lets get off the porch (it's enclosed) and go in the living room. I no sooner said it, got the kids off their duffs and headed in the door when there was a HUGE flash and an instant KABOOOOOM!! And we all screamed at the top of our lungs and ran in and sat on the couch and dyed laughing!! Mostly from nerves!! So, then the wind came and it was pouring rain...we got an inch in my rain gauge in about 15 mins. So, I went around afterwards to check on my trees to be sure none of them were hit and the neighbor that borders my backyard said one of his trees was hit. Anyhow...I loved the storm. My best friend laughs at me and says if I lived in Hurricane Alley, I'd probably strap myself to a palm tree and enjoy the storm. She may have taken it a little far, but she's almost right.

Today, in between storms, I tackled my DD's bedroom. Found her Christmas stocking...with old candy in it!! AND her Halloween bag...with old candy. Her room is soooo gross. I ask her and ask her to take care of the mounds of 'stuff', but she always puts it off until I get in there. So, she washed dishes twice and did a few household chores for me in return...but it's nice to get her room under control.

Okay...gotta go brush out Junior...he had to have a bath after being in the mud after the storms...

Talk to you guys tomorrow!! Kris
Closed Thread