I read about it in a magazine 3 10.71%
I found information about it while surfing on the WWW 3 10.71%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 06:24 PM   #76  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening Everyone!

Just finished dinner, Eli cooked, I wasn't going to attempt to screw anything up again

AMSER, good for you for hopping on the TM! My MD plans, well, we're suppose to go to my Grandmother's house and everyone's to meet there. My Mom wants me to have it at my house, it's bigger, but it's a wreck and I truly don't think I can (or should I say want) to whip it up into shape, but I may just have to. Grandparents aren't very healthly and even though my Aunt is bringing a bunch of stuff, it still may be too much for her there, so I may go ahead and offer my house tomorrow. As for me, I'll be happy to get a card from the kids. I got my Mother a nice big cooking pan and a Boyd's bear that's holding a little blanket that says WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA from the kids to put in her Victorian bedroom-and of course, she gets love It's nice you have surrogate Mom's to enjoy the day with I've always wanted a RV, and dreamed about roaming the US in one when I'm old-I like small ones like the Rialta-maybe one day. You'll surely have to stop by when you are down this way-maybe you can just park yourself in my driveway on the way back and spend the night

MELF, good for you for getting out there-your timing really has gotten better! Honestly, when I run it's in such small spurts of 2/10 of a mile or so that besides feeling like I'm going to pass out, it doesn't bother my knees (yet). What I have noticed is my bone spur is getting bigger and another one may be forming-both on the same food, but neither is bothering me. I won't be increasing any jogging, and as the summer heat gets more intense I probably won't jog at all. I just wanted to see if I could do it! In the summer, I try to go as early as possible but even when it's dark, it's still hot and muggy-I come home drenched with sweat and stinking like you know what-you don't want to get down wind from me!

BEACH, congrats on your daughter's confirmation-I honestly don't know fully what it is even though I've heard about them, but I'm sure it must be a big deal! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone when it comes to wearing big old clothes-it's what I'm comfortable in. I could NEVER see myself wearing a shirt tucked into a pair of pants with a belt-NEVER! I may have lost weight, but I'm surely NOT without having major flaws like rolls here and there. I also don't buy anything that lays on my fat, if you can see my rolls, I won't buy it-and nothing short sleeve or above the elbow-my arms are absolutely disgusting-saggy and a large hump on both arms-maybe with weight training that will change (the humps, not the sagging), but right now, that's what I deal with-I have to work on one thing at a time, right now, it's just the weight.

NANCE, for me, if I get through the first 3 days of a diet, I know I'm on my way. When I started SB and started seeing results immediately and feeling so good, not feeling deprived, I knew this was going to work. This board has helped me tremendously as well, it's hard going alone-but with everyone's support, it really makes it much easier. You're well on your way-I'm sure people around you are not only going to notice your weight loss, but a difference in attitude! Keep going strong!!!!

ROSALIE, yesterday rice, what's in the forecast for tomorrow? Really, I've been meaing to make a muffin recipe I posted on the board, maybe I'll attempt fate and try to do that sometime this evening. It's hard for me to even look at nighties smaller than XL, but sometimes the big ones do look a bit hysterical on me. Thank goodness Eli doesn't say anything, he's not the type to tell me to go get a sexy negligee, but I'm sure it's not a big turn on to see me in these moo-moo style nighties either-I guess that really means he loves me

Okay gals, I'm outta here for a while, guess I'll go attempt to make those muffins. If you see smoke in your area, it's probably from my house!!!!!

Debbie
194/132/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-10-2001, 07:02 PM   #77  
Everyday angel

Default Hi!

BOB, What is your WRIST measurement? LOL

Lisa, I don’t think the measurements were a BAD idea, but one thing to keep in mind is that like weight, measurements are not always accurate. One, fat does tend to “redistribute” itself so that your pants can feel looser when you haven’t lost weight. Or clothes can get looser with wear (especially cotton). As for the measuring tape, I am pretty good about manipulating the tape measure (unconsciously of course) too!

Your sunny attitude in the face of your son’s challenge is quite encouraging. All those pills make my thyroid pill I have to take in the morning seem like nothing at all!

GatorGal, well staying the same is pretty good too! I haven’t weighed (in half an hour???) but I feel like I’m staying pretty much the same, trying not to get torked about it. At least I can still fit into my tiniest pants today (shallow breaths).

Nancy, you said, “I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone ever have a fear of loosing weight? Is there something comforting about having all this protection around you? Do you feel like if you lose weight, things might change in your life?....and you don't necessarily know if it is for the better?”

I was hunting and hunting last night because I KNOW there was a long post I once wrote (on the other board) on this very subject, which is a BIG issue with me, as I have never been thinner than I am now. But I can’t seem to find anything. So when I have time I’ll write something up.

Karen, thanks for the helpful information from Prevention Magazine. Although I know most of that stuff, as all of us do if we know about Sugar Busters, it was still a shock to read it. The information was presented quite clearly. I’m going to add that link to my site. BTW when posting online information, it’s helpful to provide the link, I hunted for it:

http://www.prevention.com/report/010...ods/index.html

Thanks again for the info.

Deb, that’s great that you’ve added a little jogging to your routine! I know good sports bras for ah, BLESSED females are hard to find, but I think a sports bra might solve your problems (the kind that squishes your boobs into a nice, compact “uniboob.”) A little jogging might be just the thing to kick your metabolism into high gear!

I briefly checked out the “Fattitudes” article and while I certainly agree, I’m finding out from the reading that I’m doing that excess sugar really screws up the body’s chemistry and sets up an uncontrollable craving for MORE sugar. So their is a physical and mental aspect to being fat, which can also be described as:

What we eat
Why we eat
(How we eat and when we eat are part of the equation too, but not as important. There goes my journalism background coming out again.)

I’m wondering how much of my mental and emotional problems growing up could have been prevented with proper nutrition. I already (after 1 ½ months without sugar) feel my low-grade, underlying, constant depression; wild mood swings and extremely emotional behavior getting better. Not totally gone but drastically better.

This is why I have a big conflict in my head about OA right now. Yes, the 12 step program has helped me greatly. But I have real problems at this point with saying over and over again, “I am a compulsive overeater.” I feel like it might be making the problem worse to say, “I am powerless over food.” Because the truth is, I’m not powerless. I’m not a compulsive overeater. As long as I stay away from the foods that throw my chemistry out of whack, I actually have a pretty good handle on what I’m doing. Yes, I’m genetically predisposed to sugar addiction, but I’m not special because I can’t handle sugar. Nobody should be able to eat large amount of sugar all the time. They may not get fat like I did, but it catches up with them eventually.

So I think I will be giving up my responsibilities in OA but keeping in touch with the network of people that I have met over the past year. There is a bi-monthly Intergroup meeting Saturday so wish me luck.

Well, that was a bit of a tangent!

Mary, well I ended up missing the last episode of Voyager too because Martin didn’t go to class and I didn’t want to be rude and leave early! How unlike me!!!!

Anna, wow it’s amazing to hear you and Debbie say that you still think of yourselves as fat when you seem (from your weight and height) to be so thin to me, who still has 27 pounds to go. Sometimes I forget how far I’ve come too, although I’m ALLERGIC to baggy clothes...I always feel like I’m wearing a tent...again. I have to make an effort not to buy them too tight though, certainly that looks worse.

Marie, thanks hon. There are a lot of things that I can’t control about other people (although being a control freak I would like to) but the important thing I learned from my relationship with my roommate is that I can control my behavior and attitude, and that alone makes a BIG difference. It’s important to me that we get along because (we have a freaking lease and) I’ve “failed” with relationships and friendships so many times in the past. So I’m not letting it go down the toilet so easily.

The link to my site is: http://www.shapeshakers.com and is also in my signature now in every post. I’m planning to do daily updates and (after three days) this morning I finally did my updates. It took about 30 minutes so I have to streamline that process. But I found a cool site about an Australian chick who is publicly losing weight on TV! It’s really cool so check out that link on the main page of my site.

Well, cool little things about today:

I found a cheap thermal mug ($5.99) yesterday that has a cool looking brushed steel exterior, and keeps things hot for about three hours, really handy for my green tea as I don’t like to drink it cold and normally it cools off in a few minutes.

I finally, for the first time in my LIFE, made a successful soft-boiled egg (bring eggs to a boil, turn to low for 6 minutes.) I’m not sure why this was so difficult for me.

I figured out a vexing problem with our database that has been sending my blood pressure through the roof for two months now.

Still haven’t gone to the gym yet...starting to get out of the habit this being the fourth day. I was going at lunch but my coworker is leaving for Vegas so I can’t. Need more sleep.

Hugs,

Chris

164/157?/130

Old 05-10-2001, 10:08 PM   #78  

Default HEllo

Good evening to all!

Things here are going well, but are about to get crazy. I am suppose to teach a critical care nursing course next friday afternoon, focusing on the GI tract, for four hours. Well, because of lack of participartion we thought the class was goign to get cancelled. Only four RNs signed up. Well even with the budget crisis my hospital is in, they decided that we are going to have the class anyway. That is a lot of preparation for four people. I have to take this as an honor because I am and LPN and will be teaching RN's but I have be certified for 7 years now and working in Endoscopy for 12. I relly do love my job.

Nance- about the fear------yes I have a fear. And this is something that I have even talked a long time about with a counselor. I let my fear of people loving me and leaving me turn me into a very fat and unhappy person. THis is something I have worked hard to overcome and have realized that I really have two seperate problems.
I am deal with both. I am much happeir with myself and I am willing to risk losing some one I love rather than having no one to love. Being alone is very loney. And I am working on the weight. I have lost 58 pounds and have another 120 to go. This is a long road, but I will succeed! So that is my outlook. and thanks for asking cause sometimes it is nice to be explaining this to others rather than reinforcing it mentally all the time.

Deb-- I can't believe that you are jogging now. THe weather down here would kill me, but I am not one to live down a challenge. When I was on the TM today, I tried to jogging by increasing the speed until I thought it was going to flip me off the into the wall. BUt I decided that I had better wait until I get rid of somemore extra baggage. There were some very unnatural noises coming from where things were flapping together. (only here could I describe something like this)

Well I hope that everyone has a get Friday.
Laurie
Old 05-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #79  
Everyday angel

Default Re: HEllo

Quote:
Originally posted by lamap
BUt I decided that I had better wait until I get rid of somemore extra baggage. There were some very unnatural noises coming from where things were flapping together. (only here could I describe something like this)
LMAO! You don't have to describe it we know only too well for ourselves!

My secret formula:

good sports bra + bike shorts (long enough to cover flapping thighs) + baggy t shirt to cover the flab in motion = relative comfort

Now, I would like to vent for a mo:

I have a situation which is causing me a bit of anxiety. We have been looking for a new admin person and today the bosses hired one. She is older, VERY aggressive and strong willed personality type. To give you an idea, she called and ASKED for a second interview. Well, for that and other reasons I'm kinda scared of her (you will never hear Chris admit stuff like that in the future). But after she was definitely hired, I was trying to see the good in the situation and I'm thinking, lately, I mean in the past 2 months, I've had a hard time concentrating at work and putting in the stellar performance I once came through with (there are a lot of reasons for this). I'm getting stuff done, but don't feel like I'm doing my best but I can't seem to break through the barrier even though I want to. So maybe having somebody else strong willed and competitive in the office may not be so bad. It might be what I need to shake me out of this weird thing I've gotten into. (Despite the friendly family environment, any small office is highly competitive as the pecking order is rather narrow in scope.)

Love,

Chris
Old 05-11-2001, 02:10 AM   #80  

Boy arn't we a chatty bunch! By the time i catch up on the posts which i must say are wonderful I don't have much time to write (HA!) I think this is god for me since i come home hungry and should be in bed but my hands are busy! LOL
Had a good "food" day today! excersise has something to be desired but i washed my kitchen floor then had that old heart beat going and did some weights for a bit. SHowered and took my daughter and her little friend to the park and walked around the lake! i guess thats excersise! I am just soooo tired. Tomorrow will be a good work out. I am also going to weigh tomorrow I think i am where i was two weeks ago. Last night at work i had on some size 6 pants (a fluke?!) i now own 2 things with that number. I had to show my old boss -the woman who thinks she inspired me to lose the weight this time! i said to her "hey look" and then we drew a crowd! LOL she was soooo happy i think more than i was! LOL then everyone that was in the range of her looking down my pants wanted to know what the excitment was!! It was funny maybe you had to be there!!

Deb- wooo hoooo on the jogging!! Weights next?? they rock and i bet your weight would budge pleeeeeze try it!!! do you have any weight tapes?? We bought a new vcr wooooo hooo!! that 1.5 will be gone and hopfully with a couple of its friends! keep up the great work!

Nancy---- I loved that ????? Ya know i was thinking about that awhile ago. I know that I havn't changed. Maybe in health knowledge! but as a person i don't think so. THis winter my husband said to someone "she is a new woman" I hated that i am not a new woman i am the same woman in a healthy body! I think losing has made me a better example to my kids. I want to stay the same person. I don't really have alot more to say than that!!!! Your doing awsome and i am glad to know you! keep up the great work! i love your posts!!

Bob- i am on the wagon believe me!!!! i am not the most perfect sugarbuster but i am trying!!!! keep it up!!!

Melf--- wooo hoooooo on the loss! you will be at your mini goal before you know it!! Your down alot now are you getting those compliments??

Amseraphim- glad your feeling better!!!! we are here for you! you are so close don't give up just concentrate on the positive stuff and stay off the scale if u have to. I do this sometime i weigh every two weeks! I am going to my moms for Mothers day i want to make her a sugarbuster meal!!LOL then off to my sis in laws to see his mom. That is where the trouble begins! I want to give myself a gift and not go off the program at her house=this is very hard! i will let you know how i do!
have a great day!!! Oh and get that foot out of the dirt !(unless your planting!)

Lisa- hope you have an awsome week end! I am jealous. I have one sister we are close also. She got laid off from work in December and i have never seen soooo much of her. I hope she never goes back!! keep up the great work with the weight!!!! my sister is very supportive of my journey!

Gator- I am glad i have my baseball right now!! The Red sox are not doing soooo hot and i miss my Nomar! are you a baseball fan?

Karen- I loved the Prevention mag. article. I wish every diabetic would read it. You are sooo informative!! thanks!!

Sparkle- what does the wrist have to do with weight? der me?!! I laughed when i read that because my oldest son said to me today when i was driving "look how small your wrist is!" It was a true compliement i guess!!!! you sound stressed- are you o.k? hope so. thanks for your great posts! i want to see your web site when its done are you going to let us peek????

fillisie- yeah for the inches!! those all count!! hope the grading is done!!

Rosalie- Yeah for you too!!!! a lb is awsome!! that seems to be te trend this week! your excersising sound awsome too!

I know i missed a bunch but its 2:00 a.m now i have to go to bed. I am sick of work. OUr over time is over Saturday Yeah! I am going to take a night off next week. I wish i could chat but hubby would have a fit if i stayed home and chatted! LOL I gon't think i can get into the chat room anyway i have tryed and since the site was updated i can't. humph!!!!!! night night!

RHonda
201.1/14?/135
Old 05-11-2001, 08:19 AM   #81  

Default I HAVE MISSED Y'ALL!!!

OK, I know, it has been over a week since I posted. I have had such a great 2 weeks treking back and forth to the beach. Last night I went to have the fiml developed. I promise to scan the pics and share the funny ones. I will be able to scan them at work on Monday, so look for them next week. I still have a partially finished roll so those could take a while before I take them to be developed.

It was absolutely wonderful to be able to wear my swimsuit, then take off my shorts and/or t-shirt when I got down to the sand. Last year my size much larger swimsuit was too tight, this year my new suit that was 3 sizes smaller was perfect! What a relief.

I have also been doing a little pants shopping, needing 10's and 12's. I'm very excited about this! Don't mean for this to be ALL about me.

[b]BOB[/b} Congrats on your continued smoke-free lifestyle! THanks for keeping my air cleaner! Miss chatting with you!

CHRIS Just want to say HEY!!!

MELF Hope your Mom continues to do well in her new home.

LISA_A_A WHere in 'Bama are you? Fillise and I are going to get together for lunch (an SB legal one of course!) or something along those lines the Friday before Memorial Day in Columbus, GA. Are you anywhere near there? It would be great if you could also join us!

ANYONE ELSE NEAR COLUMBUS, GA?

SOL You and I are the COLBY fans aren't we. I think he is HOT HOT HOT!!! I wanted him to win sooooo bad. Thought he played the game better than Tina.

QUILTER Whassssup?

DEB Hey chickie!

Well, gotta run because a man is coming to give is an estimate on new HVAC. Will check back later.

Oh yeah, I was up 1.5 this week. Too much alcohol and not enough water! Trying to get to 150 by Memorial Day, promise to be a good girl this week!

More beach stories later!

Have a happy Friday!

Peace,
Frog

190/154.5/130
Old 05-11-2001, 08:36 AM   #82  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default FINALLY FRIDAY!

LOTS of Great posts lately!!

KAREN - Thanks for the articles. I sent the 25 things home for Vince to read and to my "healthy buddy" at work.

DEBBIE - I didn't forget about the Diet Rite Cola - here's the ingredients: carbonated water, caramel color, gum acacia, phosphoric acid, potassium citrate, nautral flavor, sucralose (Splenda brand), citric acid, potassium benzoate and acesulfame potassium (Sunett brand). The can claims: "no aspartame, no sodium, no caffeine, no calories". Just plain ole non-nutritious soda! The taste is very similar to every other diet soda.

JOGGING? You go girl!!! That's awesome!!! A little bit at a time is what it takes and how to get started doing that -- way back when - when I was trying to jog that's exactly what Vince suggested I do - walk and every once in a while jog for a bit and then go back to walking - even if that's all you ever do it's a little boost and breaks up the monotony of just walking. It may be exactly what you're body needs to get moving down the scale again.

CATLOVER - Thanks for the link! Glad you're enjoying your golf - that's great exercise for those arms and, if you're walking the 18 holes, well, that's A LOT of walking!

BOB - You crack me up!! Thanks for always keeping things so light.

NANCEMEISTER - I've thought about the weight/fear thing and I don't think that's an issue with me. I started trying to lose as soon as the pounds started piling up (5 years ago) and now, I'm almost convinced that that is when my insulin, PCOS problem kicked into high gear and that I was fighting these things and genetics with the wrong diets which is why I wasn't seeing results. Since my Endocrinologist "prescribed" SB for my diet I was convinced that this was going to be "it" for me to get back down to where I was before all this started. I guess that's why I'm so frustrated with having been pretty darn faithful to this WOE and exercising for 2 months now and still at the same weight. Yes, I cheated VERY LITTLE - but I cheated on our vacation - but that was only 1 week out of 10 weeks on this diet with no loss. Just an FYI - all of us are busy, we have "senior moments" and forget things so you won't always get a personal response or a bunch of answers to your questions or posts - it's nothing personal, everyone reads them - and thinks about each other and the issues/questions/etc. brought up, but you are setting yourself up for disappointment and/or aggravation if you set that expectation of us.

AMSERAPHIM - Wow! What a nice garden it sounds like you have. I'm jealous!! I have a few herbs and one tomato plant. If these survive maybe next year I'll be more adventurous and pick out a spot where I can plant my favorites. There's really nothing like fresh, homegrown tomatoes. I was raised with those and the store bought kinds are just not the same - unless you get the ones that are $3/lb.

MELF - thanks for the encouragement. I am VERY discouraged, but I'm going to make these changes and believe to figure out what the deal is. I have given away most of my "skinny" clothes, but I've held onto my favorite skirt that I wore before the weight started piling on and I'm determined to get my butt into that thing one day!

MARIE - Mom and Dad got back yesterday and just said they were tired. I'm SURE that when Mom gets back to work she'll be sending some of her favorite scanned pictures. I'll get the lowdown on everywhere they've been and how much fun they had. E-mail is great, 'cause if we only had snail mail anymore I'd probably be waiting until we got together at Christmas to see and hear about it. Those hills DO count!! I know for me - I double my effort on those big ones AND, my triceps get a work-out on those hills from pumping my arms to get up the hill - especially when rollerblading (Chris can relate to that, I'm sure!).

CHRIS - I'm with you on ditching the baggy clothes. I DO like my stretch pants and big t-shirts, but when it comes to my shorts and jeans I'm SOOOOO looking forward to tucking my shirts in. I like for my clothes to fit nicely, not too tight, not too baggy - but until I get back down to 150 I'm in Baggy City. I didn't know they have you making such negative confessions at OA -- I agree -- you are not forever a compulsive overeater and to constantly confess that it not healthy. You're much healthier to confess - "I had a problem with food and I'm overcoming it and I'm in control." That's where you are!! Those are some mighty keen observations you've made on how you relate to others -- we can't put them in our little boxes, because people are individuals, and that's what adds spice to life (even spices we don't always like ) I've found that when I'm concentrating more on how I can help others or learn from others (even if it's just their life experiences and/or opinions) that I'm not so focused on myself, but it also helps put my issues in perspective. That's why this site is so great! We learn so much about each other and feel better knowing we're human, everyone has their own "issues" to deal with, and that, sometimes, we wouldn't trade our issues with anyone for the world.

LAMAP - LOL!!! I've stopped or slowed on the TM at those very same noises, myself!! Thankfully there was no one around when that happened!! I'll stick to walking on the TM for now.

RHONDA - Good to hear from you! We are quite chatty, aren't we? I was going to just do a general post, but had so much I wanted to say because everyone is sooo kind and all the posts are so good! So here I sit starting work late.

GATORGAL - Monday is my 1st appointment at Fitness Coach. I'll let you know how it goes. Can't remember if I posted this or not, but Vince went the other day to check it out (I want his approval on the program) and they gave him a work-out. He liked Jim and the place and thinks it will be good for me - soooooo, we'll see!

FROG - You're back!!! We've all missed you!!! Glad to hear you've had a blast at the beach!! It's way more fun when you are trying too hard to cover up things. I heard a clip about Colby's date for the Country Music Awards, but missed who it was --- will have to do some snooping!

Better run --- Have a great FRIDAY and an AWESOME week-end, Everyone!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 09:22 AM   #83  

Good Friday Morning Everyone!

Can you believe it's Friday again! I'm sure those of you who work M-F are happy! Time just keeps flying by so quickly

Didn't feel like walking today, have a slight butt ache, but I pushed myself and went 2 1/2 miles. Once I was out I wish I could of gone more, but I didn't have enough time, had to come back and get Lauren off to school.

I made the WW and Walnut muffins last night. I went back to the recipe and posted additional notes. They were not sweet at all, so I would increase the amount of agave, or other sweetener-being they only called for 1tbl of honey originally, how in the world did I think they'd come out sweet. Not bad with some fruit jam on them, or butter if you like, but definitely would increase the amount of sweetener to a 1/4 cup and maybe a tad more milk if you see the need, the batter was thick-but hey, they were edible!!! And, I didn't burn them!!!!

I am headed up to see Sharon today just to do something different-not sure where we will end up. She's staying in a house for the month that's a corporate rental for a company her friend works for up there.

SPARKLE, I never put down where anyone finds their strength. What I may find totally off the wall and ridiculous, someone else may find the answers they are looking for. BUT, I have to be honest and admit that I think you will do just fine without associating with OA. I have only been to 1 meeting in my life, probably about 20 years ago, and I didn't like it at all (hence, the one meeting), I didn't feel like what they were saying pertained to me, but they wanted me to think it did. I guess it does help for some, but I do believe you are fine without the association to that organization. I think you finally hit it on the head, with proper nutrition and not having all this garbage in your system, you'd of been different long ago. If you read Gary Null's latest book, it's interesting what he found happened to mental patients when they were no longer allowed the garbage foods, like candy, cakes and soda-many got better! Anyhow, whatever your final decision happens to be, and whatever does help, we are always behind you 100%.

LAMAP, it surprises me sometimes when I get out and exercise in the summer time. In a way, it shows me just how far I have come and how much I am dedicated to get out there and walk-it's for me, no one else. Trust me, I can totally relate to slapping fat - I had to have my tummy tucked about 5 years ago it was so bad. I really need more tucked, but not sure how far I'm willing to go with having thinks nipped and tucked.

RHROO, good luck with the scale today! Hope it's kinder to you than it's been for me lately. Hmm, what's next, not sure really. Will give the weights a try, just have to learn how to do it correctly. I'm not one for videos, will have to reply on the web or old mags. Don't I wish it was only that 1.5, that's way old news, it's now 3lbs to go!

FROG, glad to see you back and to hear you had a great time-a real bathing beauty I'm sure we'll see in those pics-can't wait for you to share them. Kudo's on being able to wear a suit sizes smaller and to be able where it without overlays!

SOL, I'd say the DR Cola is fine, but in moderation. Just remember, Splenda does have MALTODEXTRIN and it seems in small amounts it's okay, but in excess, you may have problems, so treat it as a treat, not as you would, say, water

Okay gals, I'm outta here, time to get dressed and get on the road. I'll check in with you all this evening sometime.

Toodles

Debbie
194/132/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-11-2001, 10:07 AM   #84  

Default Happy Friday!

One of the women in my office today, came up and complemented me on taking a healthy path in weight loss, unlike others in my office who are dieting in a less healthy manner. She commented though that it was fortunate that I didn't have much to lose. I wrote to her and I want to share this letter with all of you.

"30lbs. isn't a lot to some people, for me it was a lot. If you didn't know during my pregnancies I was well over 200 lbs., my highest weight was 240. That's almost 90 lbs more than my goal. (Please don't say well you were pregnant, as there is no excuse for being more than 25-30lbs over your normal weight.) My Mom still has pictures, it was awfully hard for me to get around, I had medical complications, when it was over I had settled at 180lbs. forever. When I started in Fiscal Services I was in a size 18, (June 1999) somewhere between 190 and 200 and feeling lousy. It took me a year to get down to 180. I really settled that I was 30 and that's how it was going to be. My body still rejected what I was putting into it and I was not taking care of my health. I was maintaining 180, my stomach was messed up (still is, but getting better), I was tired all the time and thought the Starbucks made it better, I also was having major mood swings and to top it off I had low self-esteem and I didn't like myself.

Now I feel healthier, stronger, more in control. I like who I have become and have goals to achieve who I want to be (I don't mean work wise, I mean as a person). Losing weight was a way for me to come out of my shell so to speak, I'm not fearful anymore and know that if I put my mind to something, I can do it. BUT, it takes support, and in the beginning I didn't have that. After my surgery, Nancy and I became partners in a healthier life style, having a buddy is making the difference for me. Now when I waiver or test the waters of sugar, I have some one to pull me back on board, slap me around, and understand.

Again, thanks for caring so much to notice. This is the way of life I have chosen, not the easiest maybe, but the healthiest for me."

Chris: I'm excited to see your website, I bookmarked it the last time you gave us a link, so hope to visit it this weekend when I have time to sit down and enjoy it.

Lisa: Your family continues to be in my prayers. If I understood correctly, Ross' results were good, this must be such a relief.

Rosalie: Congratulations on hitting the 200 mark, on to the 190's!

Melf: I'm sorry to hear about the young friend you lost. On a happier note good to hear abot the 1lb loss. Your Nurses Breakfast sounded like a lot of fun! What a kick to get boxers, I bet your husband was suprised. LOL!

Debbie: I hope to be able to join a chat in the future, I'm glad to know that it's not AOL only. Unfortunatley, that is when I'm getting dinner and taking care of my little ones, but maybe over the summer when we eat a little earlier in the day, I can jump in. As for the Carbolite bar, I thought I was eating on SB as it was made with splenda and cocoa? Oh well, it doesn't matter now, as my stomach problem flarred up because of the chocolate, which I was told not to have. Way to go for Eli on his success! And as for gas prices...Juan just filled my tank, around 18 gallons = $38.00!

Fillise: Inches are just as good as pounds in my book! Are we suppose to add the total number of inches lost in each area together?

RodeoMom: Glad you are still on plan, a 13lb loss over 6 weeks is awesome! Keep it coming off, your doing great!

FrogLove: How fun to go to the beach in a swimsuit and no coverup- I'm awaiting my 1st swimsuit in 5 years, it's coming snail mail, I'll let you know if it fits.

Iamap: Glad your back, missed you. I think you should look at teaching RN's an honor, it means you are "One smart, well experienced Cookie!" (Sorry about the food inuendo)

What's happened to: StarChaser, CathyCathy, Annette2, Barbee, CatsRule, Cheri45, Cynsea, MargaretA, Overcome, GloryBI, Rapture, Sasahm, Viv...I think I saw at least one post from everyone else in the past week or so.

Amseraphim: 11lb loss is somthing to be proud of. Sure weight comes off slowly and sometimes it stays the same for periods of time, but just remember how you felt 11lbs ago, don't you feel better now. A friend of mine told me that for every 10 lbs you lose you can go down one size in clothing, just think, you use to HAVE to wear a larger size than you do now. Sometimes when I stall, I keep taking my measurements, it never failed that I saw the inches come off when the weight wasn't. Keep positive, go out and do something to reward yourself, doesn't have to be a big thing, a $12 manicure, go to a Walmart and pick up a cute shirt or pair of pants, or do something you've been wanting to for awhile. I do have a question for you, what does DH stand for? I had always thought it was someone's initials. Your garden sounds like so much fun! I want to try to grow veggies someday in my back yard, our summers are so hot though, that very little grows.

GatorGal: I dream of DSL. Nance has it down the street at the office, but it hasn't made it's way down to my neighboorhood, we can't wait! I can stop getting kicked off the net and get through to my husband when he spends all afternoon surfing the net. Your new computer sounds like fun!

Solshine: I think you are really fortunate to have a personal trainer to get you on track. One of my best friends was coming over once a week to keep me on track, whew what a workout he would give me, but since my surgery I haven't gotten back in the groove. I need to do it and stop finding excuses not too.

BOB: Looks you are right on target with your stats! Ok, I'm going to ask as I don't know Southern tradition, what's the deal with white clothes and shoes? I'm really curious, not that I own any white shoes, but curious any how. About the book you are reading, sure sounds interesting, I look forward to your excerpts. I'm still thinking about you and your smoking cessation, are foods starting to taste different yet? This is one of the first things I noticed when I quit. Also, awhile ago there was a thread that had everyone's AIM names and I put them all in my system, but didn't write down who was who. When I went back to do this, the names were gone. If I sent you my list, could you please help me identify the people?

Rhroo: Could you please share your recipe for Baked Sweet Potato french fries, they sound great.

Aces: Welcome to the group! I have a generalized menu of what I try to eat on a day to day basis. Email me [email protected] if you would like me to send it to you.

Karen: Thanks for all the green tea information. I'm drinking the decaf vs. don't know if has the same effects on my body, but it's a nice change from water once in awhile.

CatLover: Looking forward to trying the tools you discovered at IVillage.com

Beachfan37: I rejoice in the news of your daughter's Confirmation! When I was confirmed 7 years ago, it was a very moving experience for me. Hope the rollercoaster ride going on in your life, eases up a little.

Nance: Think of your weightloss as evolution. My daughter told me the other day that catapillers evolve into butterflies. You are evolving not only physically, but emotionally, mentally, and spirtually. You've got a head start though, as you are such a beautiful person on the inside, I think the butterfly in you has already started to come out!

I hope that all of you have a Wonderful Mother's Day.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:17 AM   #85  
Golfing Gal

GOOD FRIDAY MORNING YALL !! Another hot and humid day in my part of Texas.
BTW where do you guys get all your gif's,jpgs that are included in the messages. Ive searched a couple free
sites but cant find any as cute as yall's.

I will be awol on Sunday - Tuesday. My DH and I are driving my mom
to Many Louisiana to meet my sister who will take her back to Hodge for a week or so. While we are there
we are going to play golf at Cypress Bend. It will be nice to get out of town if only for a day or so.

It will also be good for my mom to be around her grandkids. Since my dad passed away in October she
has been dealing with hospital insurance, her own medical problems, etc , and the break will do her good. She doesnt have any friends and never really had a social life. It was raising kids,working, and keeping
house. I know some of the ladies from her Church have invited her to places but she wont go. Ive tried
to tell her it would be good for her to get involved in some things that she doesnt need to just stay in
the house. she only goes out the get her hair fixed, grocery shopping, or drs. appts. Anybody have any
ideas?

Enough about me.

Sparkle liked your home page. Very informative and well done. I hope to have one up and running some
day. Im not PC literate. I worked for many years as a Sr. Progammer Analyst on a mainframe. My DH has to do all the tech stuff to this pc. I just get on it to surf and communicate with yall and relatives.

BOB you crack me up. I like your attitude and your sense of humor. If you cant laugh at yourself who or what
can you laugh at. Im slowly learning to laugh at myself. I get so frustrated at my inability to stick with something once I start. So far Ive stuck with this woe and will someday reach goal. Im in no hurry I know that the pounds will come off eventually and as long as I feel better I know Im doing something good for my body and my self esteem. So can I hitch my butt to your wagon for as long as it takes. I promise not to load it down to much.

Deb as usual you've been a big help. Starting today Im writing down everything I eat and keep a log for a week to see if that helps with my food input and weight loss.

Well guess I better go. I have to go get to nails repaired then back home for some weight toning and tmilling.

Have a happy mothers day to those who are moms,stepmoms, adopted moms,etc.

Talk to yall when I get back..
Old 05-11-2001, 10:35 AM   #86  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

TGIF!!!!

GatorGal
Did your Doctor put you on any Hormone replacement therapy after "the change". I know in some women they experience a 5-10 weight gain. It's the same with any type of hormone, including birth control pills. If so what are you taking?

Debbie
I understand what you mean about wanting to get to your goal. One of my sisters was sharing that she enjoys the journey, but she especially appreciates getting things done. You will get there! You will see 129! What is your heigth?

Melf
I'm glad to hear you are doing better with your mind set.
I think most of us struggle with putting ourselves first, and taking care of our bodies. Sounds like you are on the road of success!

Rosalie
Thank you for sharing with me about your weight loss.
I'm learning it's probably just as much an emotional change as it is a physical change.

Sparklescamp
I look forward to hearing your story!

Lamap
Sounds like you are pretty busy at work. That's nice that
you were celebrated. Thank you for sharing with me. It's nice to know there are people who we can talk with about the journey...the good, the bad, and the ugly! But mostly the good, and the change in our self-esteem!

Rhroo
Size 6!!!!!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! WOW!!!! DOUBLE WOW!!!!
You go girl! I haven't been that size since 7th grade! ha ha ha. Hope you will continue to support those of us who need mentors like yourself!

Solshine
Have you been back to your endocrinologist since you started SB? I'm interested in what he might say about your weight being stationary. Are you drinking your 64 ounces of water daily? I know I have a hard time chugging that much down, but I'm working on it. I know when I do drink more water, the weight comes off easier. I realize that not everyone can respond to my questions, and I'm greatful when they have the time and can. Sometimes it's just as good to get people thinking about different things, sharing, etc. I thankful to have such a wonderful group of woman to talk with!

BOB
Do you live near Gatorgal? I think there is only one other SB besides Lara in Ca, and she lives in San Jose, which is in No. Cal. I think I need to get a map of the US and those little push-pins to keep track of where everyone is! Did you say you are from Tenn? How did you get to Florida?O.K......I know, I'm at my limit for question-asking

Well, I need to get ready for the day! It's payday today, so I think I will treat myself and buy the SB Cookbook.
We had the enchiladas recipe that was posted and it was delicious! I'm sorry I can't remember who posted it, off the top of my head!

I'll check in with you FANSTASTIC woman later!!!
Thanks for all your support and just plain ol' being there!

Last edited by Nancemeister; 05-11-2001 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:25 PM   #87  

Afternoon

Plans got changed and I ended up staying home. Decided there really wasn't a need to travel up to Broward today and that it was more important to get the house cleaned. Really have been working on the kitchen and just have a bit left before I wash the tile floor. I really hate cleaning, by the time I turn around, it's a mess again and I get so frustrated that it makes me hate cleaning that much more!

I figured out something not only important, but interesting. When I figure how many calories I burn walking each week, and how many calories less I eat than I would to maintain my current weight, I see where it will take me about 11 days to lose 1lb-that's considering no other hormonal factors come into place, but with factors, at this point, I'll be lucky to be able to lose 2-2.5lbs a month. I have to realize as I get close to the goal I've set that I'm not going to drop the average of 5lbs a month like I was months ago.

Last night I made my own chart on graph paper and it's quite interesting, I wish I had a scanner so you could all see it. anyhow-I began it from Oct. of last year. On Oct.1 I was 158, Oct 31 I was 153.5. Last month, I started the month at 133 and ended it at 131.5, just lost 1 1/2lbs last month. This month I started back at the same weight I started in March, 133, so who knows what this month may bring at the end of it. From the looks of it, I'll be lucky if I get to goal at the end of the month, looks more like June. Just thought I'd share that little bit of info

LDBOND, That's a lot of money for just 18 gallons of gas-but were not far behind you. That's a nice letter you sent to that lady You asked what's happened to some of the gals on the board, a few that you mentioned are still with us, lurking more than posting (you all know who you are!) while others, like Annette have decided to do something else. I don't know where Glory is, she hasn't answered my e-mail and it's sorta unlike her not to at least respond. I try to contact people who are MIA for a while. Anyone who has posted their BIO on the latest BIO BOARD is on my mailing list, (at least those who had at least ventured onto the board at least once or twice). Unfortunately, I can't go running after everyone. I use to, but I found that not only do I not have the time to keep up with everyone's comings and goings. Everyone knows that no matter what, they are welcome here at any time

CAT, hope you have a wonderful time away and a great Mother's Day with your Mom. I would tell you the best one to ask about gifs would be BOB, she has the best ones! I look in google for sites, but haven't found much that I'd think were worth passing on. Good for you on keeping the log, it will definitely help! There are some good sites you can utilize to help you look up foods-check out the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD for the links.

NANCE, I'm 5 feet 1 1/2" tall-that 1/2 inch means a lot when you're short!

I'll check in later- back to the kitchen! Hope all who celebrate, have a Happy Mother's Day this Sunday.

Debbie
194/132/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-11-2001, 01:07 PM   #88  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

Default Lurker Question

What is Agave Nectar? I see it in many of your recipes here but I have never seen it in any food store I did a search of your forum on the word but all I got was a bunch of recipes calling for it. Would someone please tell me what it is and where you all find it?

Thanks
ThatGirl
Old 05-11-2001, 02:13 PM   #89  
karen3000

Happy Friday!

We had storms here last night so I didn't even boot up the 'puter. Tired of rain, seems like one nice day, two gray days.

ThatGirl - agave nectar comes from a type of cactus (I see it is used in Tequiza Beer and, I think, tequilla). It kind of looks like honey, but is thinner. It is used as a substitute for sugar on SB as it doesn't have the high glycemic number that sugar has. I have found it at a local food coop that specializes in natural foods. I believe Whole Food stores may carry it, also.

Deb - When I was at the food coop yesterday, I noticed a brand of tea called Tazo. Since you mention the Tazo Orange Tea, I decided to try it. It is quite interesting. I made it into iced tea. Really a unique flavor - I did add some agave to it. Could this be the same thing that you have at Starbucks?

Solshine - This may be redundant, but have you had your thyroid checked? It was probably part of your medical workup for the PCOS, but just in case it wasn't done, you might want to talk to the doctor about it. Like PCOS, doctors aren't always well versed on thyroid implications. (I'm not in the medical field, but my husband has thyroid problems, so I have read some info regarding it and it seems like it is often overlooked as a reason.)

Lots of thought-provoking discussions on the forum. I like to read other views on weight loss journeys. I often have a "light bulb" (as Oprah would say) moment when I'm reading through the posts. Sorry I don't respond to each of you--I'm just not finding enough time these days to sit and type more than I already am. Wish I was retired! There was a little ditty going around about "Wish I was a bear" 'cause you're supposed to put on weight for the winter, you get to hibernate in the winter, your spouse expects you to have hair on your legs, and the mama bears are expected to swat the kids when they misbehave! I can relate to that wish!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day on Sunday. Kids or not, all of you deserve a special day!

Karen

Old 05-11-2001, 03:14 PM   #90  
Little Engine That Could

Rhoo--I like baseball when I want to take a nap. LOL

Nance--Nope--No HRT. My choice. I still have all my parts and there was in increased risk for cancer on HRT. I do take Fosamax for bone strength. My theory has always been to try to ignore any “female stuff” like PMS, Hot flashes, etc. It helped, but I still had some trouble with hot flashes, esp. at night. I’m past all that now, except occasionally I’m still not sure if it is me, or if the room is really warm. Usually it is the room.

BOB lives in a town on the west coast of FL, right on the Gulf of Mexico. SolShine lives in my town, and actually, before her building became the victim of a sink hole, worked about 7 minutes from my house. We live in the center of the state, in the Orlando area. Disney World is about 45 minutes south of my house.

ThatGirl--Agave Nectar is a sweetener made from agave cactus juice that is OK on SB because it does not cause an abnormal rise in blood sugar like cane sugar does. You can find it at some health food stores. Might be able to buy it off the web.
Closed Thread