Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If you could eat as much as you wanted of one item & still lose weight, would it be..
Chocolate 7 20.00%
Cookies 6 17.14%
Cakes 2 5.71%
Pies 0 0%
Ice Cream 7 20.00%
Potatoes 5 14.29%
Potato Chips 3 8.57%
Popcorn 2 5.71%
Bananas/Pineapple/Raisins/Watermelon (non SB legal fruits) 1 2.86%
Other 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 03:28 PM   #106  

Default Time for a quickie!

Just read and had to respond . . .

BEACH---Thank you so, so, so, SOOOOOO much for sharing your story. Somehow, I had missed the details and had no idea what you had gone through. YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION!!!!! How wonderful that you got help from your doctor and you acted upon it. Wonderful!!!! Hearing what you have been through helps me to realize that I can do this too. What a support you have given by sharing. Plus I love your changes lists. Those were really profound. I want some of them, too.

LAMAP---Good for you girl!!! You get on that scale. How great that your confidence level and boosted so much that you can weigh in public. You are MUCH braver than me. What an AWESOME loss!!!! Are you going to start hanging out at the grocery store everyday now to check your weight??? Just kidding. Keep it up. You are doing GREAT!!!!!

Well, gals, I've been sweating like a pig. We started cleaning out the basement while I was doing laundry and we got SO MUCH done. Feels great. Now that those chores are finished, we are getting cleaned up and go shopping. I'd really like a new dress for the wedding next weekend and I have a few extra hours. So that's where we're headed. Wish me luck!!! I'm looking for the perfect dress that makes me look thin and is really on super sale. Hmmmmm. Think I'm setting myself up for a big letdown????
Take care, y'all.
Kim
185/172/139
January 2, 2001
Old 05-05-2001, 08:21 PM   #107  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Happy Saturday to all!

Aces-I would advise you to buy the book, or go to the library and read it cover to cover. You're at the right place, and are reaching out to a great group of woman who will be here for your every day!

SolShine-Love the Bulldog! I wanted one sooooo bad until I found out how much they cost! Now I have the cutest puppy in the world "Floyd". He's have boxer have pit bull terrier. I got him from the orphan pet center. WE all love him to death. He is so spoiled! Since I'm a newbie, I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a picture by my name. I'll probably have to have ldblond help me.

SparkleScamp-Thanks for the info. on the 3 gram rule. I saw alot of recipes that that said the were "legal", but I'm sure limit setting needs to be included too!

BeachFan37-Thank you so much for sharing about yourself! I really appreciate getting to know about everyone better. As a newbie, it seemed like you all knew so much about each other. I'm glad that you opened up and shared! Not evryone has posted a "Bio" on themselves.

Well....I wanted to share that yesterday we had a potluck at work. Never any low-calorie items there! Plus I had to bring dessert. I bought a chocolate cream pie, and didn't eat any. Then I went to my scrapbooking party and they had all Mexican food and Margarita's. I was a saint. I had two small taquito's, a ration of refried beans, and a couple of chips with guacamole.....and of course a Margarita. I was in a situation that I couldn't
do any better, so I just had small portions and drank a bunch of water when I got home. It seems you can control what you eat just about everywhere, except at someones house. I guess I could have had water, but you don't know my friends, and as much as they know that I'm trying to lose weight, they wanted to see a drink in my hand. I drank about 1/3 of it, and when they weren't paying attention, threw the rest down the drain.

I know many of you are faced with the same challenges. I welcome ideas for next time I am in a situation like this.
I guess I should have asked what they were serving, and ate at home ahead of time. Oh well...that's the only problem I've faced so far!

ldblond-I miss you! Are you home??????? How did the conference go? Better yet how was your reception when you got home? Write, call, something!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2001, 10:22 PM   #108  

Evening all!!!

Well, I lucked out and found a dress. And it was on sale too. I was in one of those moods where nothing really turns me on, but this one was okay. I'm not sure it makes me look thin, but at least I saved some money. I need some control top (heck make that control all over) pantyhose. Hey DEB, got an extra girdle you're not using? Ha! AFter seeing my roles tonight in that full-length mirror, I need to know wher eyou buy them and what to look for in a good one. (Good meaning anything that would hold back about 20,000 pounds of fat pressure.)

VR---Thanks for the link to pretty impressive stuff. I spent a good bit of time there this evening. Really enjoyed the recipes. Actually tried out the hot toddy one. I liked it. It was kind of interesting . . . really made my old skim milk taste like something exotic!!! How did you find that link? Do you know that woman? She sure has an inspirational story to tell and seems to know quite a bit about SB. I added her to my favorites list. Thanks so much.

Well, it's time for bed. We've had a busy day. Hope yours were as productive as mine. Whew!!! My dogs are achin'. Take care, you all.
Kim
Old 05-05-2001, 10:35 PM   #109  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA, I did start a post last night, had it disappear on me, started another, didn't finish it and have been working on one earlier today and trying to finish it now.

Went to my sisters house for my nieces birthday and I actually broke down and cheated! At least I think it was cheating, though I do believe we are allowed to have pumpernickle, aren't we-but for me, it's the first time since starting SB. I had a really thin bottom piece of a pumpernickle bagel. Needless to say, I didn't feel too good shortly afterwards-what possessed me to eat that, I haven't a clue-but boy, if I keep it down, it will be a miracle. Not to mention, I was starting to sport a nice headache. Afterwards, when cake was served I had a small amount of Breyers Vanilla ice cream, which came right back up again-thought I had been robbed, so replaced what I lost with another serving, lost that one as well. Guess someone was trying to send me a message.

I've been eating all day long, it's mid-cycle and the scale is up and I feel bloated-I LOVE BEING A WOMAN!

Have been making a delicious salad that I had bought at WHOLE FOODS and figured how to make on my own-will have to post the recipe when I get the chance-VERY EASY!!!

Went to garage sales, didn't find a heck of a lot, but a few things, some books (more recipes gals), did manage to find this Tupperware rolling mat for making crusts on, for .25 cents. Not much else out there today

NANCE, I do weigh daily and the reason for this is basically due to this computer program I've had for a little over a year now. It charts everything for you and if you don't log your weight daily, it guesstimates it for you. I'd rather be accurate, so I do it daily. It does help me see trends and I do believe that it's helped me stay on track. So many times in the past I'd see myself going up when I was being so good and trying so hard and I didn't really understand my bodys fluctuations, this lets me see it. Trust me, I hate my scale more than I like it and would love to throw it into a watery grave-but for now, I keep it. When I get to comfortably to goal, I will only weigh in once or twice a week-the only way I know I'll be able to do this is if someone hides the scale on me, but I'm willing to go through that detox! I have been lax on the water and it goes in spurts like that, some days I have no problems, and others, it makes me gag. I was 2lbs from goal, now 4lbs-just call me yo-yo woman! The 3 gram rule is that SB allows you to have anything that contains 3 grams of sugar or less PER SERVING. I personally try not to buy anything with added sugars in them, even if they fall under that guideline. Your chart sounds cute. You can also do a chart on EXCEL to see your losses, or even graph paper. I can't remember who, but someone in the past mentioned that she gets together with others every so often and exchanges clothing-that sounded fun. Not sure how that would work out sending it off-you could ask the others-for me, I'm picky and wear the same style most of the time. Hmmm, well, Suzanne from the 3FC's fame asked me to be the moderator since I was the one who started the SB BOARDS and seemed to spend every waking minute on it. I proposed this to the members of the board at that time and they unanimously agreed I should be the moderator, so, that's how I found my road to fame As for facing obstacles when eating at friends-I always ask what's being served and if nothing is that I can eat, I bring my own food. Honestly, don't let anyone make you feel like you have to have a drink to enjoy yourself-if you don't want it, just say "no thank you". I've been in that situation so many times and I guess it's quite easy for me to say that because I don't drink-never liked it, but even if I did, I would still say no-there isn't a food/drink that I want more than I want to reach goal

FILLISE, okay, now you have me wondering, what exactly is a Derby Party and what do you all do at one???

SOL, nicely put about Tina and the others. I still can't stand Jerri, and I don't think there are many who do care for her. I sorta felt sorry for Deb, she was trying so hard to hold back those tears. Thanks for the nice words in regards to my stall-it happens and I just have to go with the flow. I'm not good to go for changes once I'm set in my ways-I try to do something different in my exercise, I just don't like it.

BEACH, as always, thanks for your insights. I know I should change something, but I just can't. I know me, and I know that once I do, it won't be a pretty sight. Thanks for posting how SB has helped you-I love reading those things. I really should try to see what I could come up with-when I get a chance, I'm going to sit down and write!

CATLOVER, glad to have you back on the board and back on track. I"ve heard a good powdered sugar substitute is dried unsweeteneed coconut-you wiz it around in your food processor til it's fine like powdered sugar-but I can't tell you for sure as I"ve never tried it myself.

ACES, WELCOME TO THE BOARD Many people experience the same thing you are experiencing with not being hungry. Just make sure you are eating enough, otherwise you're going to have a hard time losing after a while if your body's metabolism slows down from not eating enough. How about swimming as an exercise? I've seen on tv where they do exercises while sitting in a chair. Hope you get that bone spur taken care of soon-must be painful. Just let us know in what way we can help you!!!!

SPARKLE, I know that I posted that, and my figures say I should be eating what I am, which is really about 1300 calories a day. Lately, it's been more, so really, I am right in line. Glad to see you going back down again-I'm hoping to head in that direction as well, and soon!!! Looking forward to seeing that muffin recipe-I LOVE MUFFINS, problem is, I like to eat them ALL!!!! So, needless to say, I hardly ever make them, but I do plan on making one of my recipes this weekend.

KAREN, thanks for posting that article about the sweet gene. I had read it about a week ago I think it was and never got around to posting it. I think it's a good article to keep on the RECOMMENDED READING BOARD!

QUILTER, just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a wonderful trip and a great time at the wedding - just remember how much fun you can have without indulging in non-SB food!!!! Trust me honey, you wouldn't want to borrow one of my girdles-they'll make your eyes pop out from the pressure LOL!! Glad you found a dress-I always wait til the last minute and usually find something worthwhile.

VR, glad your computer is up and running!

LAMAP, thanks for sharing your scale story-I can totally relate. Being a native Floridian, I grew up with seeing that scale in Publix all the time and never once would get on it in fear someone would see my weight-so this was one thing I have always avoided doing-and still do. I commend you for taking the plunge and getting on that scale!!!!!

Hope I didn't miss anyone-if so, trust me, it's not intentional!!!

HELLO TO EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!

Okay, I'm hitting the hay now. I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend. I'll be back tomorrow morning after I get my walk in.

NITE!

Debbie
194/134/129
Old 05-06-2001, 12:00 AM   #110  

Default Hello ya'll

Sorry I've not been posting much lately, but wanted to say hello to all of you & let you know that even though things are keeping me from reading & posting, I am sticking to this WOE. Scale is still smiling!

I have not been able to walk since Monday. Today DH & I cut grass so I got quiet a work out.

Then we picked up my mother at the nursing home & brought her out to eat some Chinese food. She love Chinese, that's why we brought her there. I ate just a little that was not OP. Then we brought her to a Gospel singing at a local theater. She sure did enjoy the outing. When I called her to see if she wanted to go, she hesitated & said she didn't know if they would let her go. She was so excited when I told her that I could come & take her out on a pass anytime.

Well, it's late. Got to go nite nite. Hope you all have a blessed Sunday.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:58 AM   #111  
Everyday angel

Hi!

Kim, good luck with the wedding and GREAT job with the candy! Doesn’t it feel great to find a good dress?

Anna, I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed reading your post. You have overcome SO much. I have heard somewhere from somebody pretending to know what he was talking about that we stay at the same “mental age” that we were when we pick up a compulsive behavior, be it food, drugs, gambling or drinking. Well I think maybe it works the other way too: we pick up a compulsive behavior at the same point that an unresolved trauma happens. Sounds like things were going pretty well up to your Mom’s death followed by problems with your father’s wife, followed by his death. So much to deal with! I really admire you for your success, and the way you have taken charge of your life despite the circumstances.

I too have had SOME success with eating right and exercise and am working on the spiritual and emotional aspects of recovery. Those seem to be going more slowly. I truly believe that progress in one area (physical) can’t happen without progress in the other (spiritual).

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us.

Regarding your list, you could have described me! Especially:

Some things I notice about other people:

1. I am given more respect and responsibility at work.
2. Socially people look me in the eye and talk to me.
3. I am treated differently than before.

Am I a different person.

No, I am still introverted, strong willed, task oriented, control freak. But, I manage the good parts of that personality and the bad parts better than I did before.

Wow! I could not have described MYSELF better! Like you I’m using those aspects of myself for the positive instead of beating myself up over being compulsive.

Do any of you watch Star Trek Voyager? If there are any hard core fans, please don’t beat me up, because I know almost nothing about Star Trek. But I sat down to watch Voyager with roomie the other night. There is one character, Seven, who used to be a part of the Borg and was de-assimilated. She and another character were stranded on a jungle planet inhabited by a primitive race. Well, the other crew member was busy learning the language and getting along fabulously with the natives, while Seven was suspicious and refused to communicate. I said, “She’s awfully stuck up, isn’t she?” Martin answered, “She’s still learning how to get along with people.” It was like a light bulb went off. I said, “Oh. Just like me!”

I really do care about people but I have a hard time relating sometimes. Sometimes I forget (hahahaha yeah right) that I was raised in almost complete social isolation and then got involved with a strict religious cult for my entire young adulthood. I’m just learning how to get along with people too and I have to remember to cut myself some slack and take it one day at a time.

Veronica, nice to see you back, girl! I read the link you provided and was quite impressed. I’ve seen that page before, think somebody posted it. Do you (or anybody else) know this Rissa chick personally? She is very inspiring. Not to mention pretty.

Glad you liked Brown Cow yogurt. It’s my favorite. Too bad it’s like $1.20 a cup here.

Laurie, wow you have come a long way with your weight! That scale incident must have been spiritually liberating! I mentioned I weighed myself totally naked in the middle of a crowded locker room (I normally weigh in bra and panties now, but have lost the nerve to weigh in shoes). But I don’t think I could get on the scale at my bank. IT TALKS.

Aces, WELCOME TO THE BOARD! What is “toxemia?” Does it have to do with pregnancy complications?

Nancy, sounds like you did well at the party. Best you could under the circumstances. I’m SLOWLY learning that even if something is not 100% perfect, that’s not an excuse give up. Like, oh, I had a bite of jam, let me eat this entire cheesecake!!!! Sounds like you have that moderation thing down pat. I don’t think 1/3 of a margarita will hurt you.

Ideas for next time: STRAIGHT TEQUILA. (Just kidding, sort of) Okay so tequila will really ____ you up, in quantity, but at least it doesn’t have sugar. So down a shot to the cheers of your friends and then drink water for the rest of the night.

An OA member who is also a recovering alcoholic always has club soda (is that the no sugar kind?) in a martini glass with an olive when he is out with friends.

My staple drink was diet Coke with limes for the longest time. Unfortunately I don’t drink diet Coke anymore so that is the main reason I’m having a hard time going out AT ALL. I feel cheap just asking for water but I’ll do it anyway, and be sure to tip. I’ve found myself avoiding going out altogether instead of being faced with the temptation to drink AND SMOKE.

I’ve been thinking of ordering a virgin bloody mary if I can stand the taste. That will be like having my salad.

My stoner friend always carries a bottle of half melted ice/water with her in clubs.

For those of you chicks who DO choose do abstain from alcohol/sugar while everyone else is drinking: It took me a long, long time to realize that my friends don’t WANT to see a drink in my hand. In fact they are concentrating on what they are eating and drinking and don’t CARE what I put in my mouth! Very liberating! Still, like I said, it’s been rough. I have given up alcohol since shortly after I started Sugarbusters both because of the bloat and because drinking lowers my inhibitions, and it’s been rough. I think in a month or two I will go back to drinking red wine, vodka and scotch (avoiding sweet drinks and the nectar of the gods: BEER). But right now I really need to focus on my goals.

Deb, OH MY GOD DEBBIE FINALLY CHEATED! How do you feel? I think it was such a big deal to “cheat” after a whole year that your body just rebelled on you.

I went to garage sales this morning, as I intended to (what a concept). I called up my Mommy cause she loves doing that stuff. We got a bit of a late start (8:50) and I learned that all the good stuff is wiped out in the first half hour. I haven’t been seriously garage sale-ing in YEARS, if ever, and was quite comical with my list (printed from the Internet) and map book. Guess what I found at the very first sale? A brand new BIRD CAGE for $10! I didn’t even try to talk her down I was so happy. I also found an Ann Taylor suede skirt for $2, a Calvin Klein bag for $3, and a set of four sealed ceramic jars, brand new, with scoops attached to the sides for $8. Not a bad day’s haul.

Geesh, taking a baby (my niece) out of the carseat and putting her back in a hundred million times really wears me out.

I really must indulge in a rant about my beloved mother now. I STILL have a hard time dealing with her as far as food goes, it’s my biggest challenge because my expected behavior around her is to eat everything in sight. A little background: Despite eating and feeding us large amounts of sugar, my mother was always very thin, like under 90 pounds at 5’0”. Everybody always thought she was my sister. She always said that she’ll never go over 100 pounds because she wouldn’t be able to stop. Well she used to work very hard cleaning houses all day long and now she has a sitting job. So sure enough, she got up to 140!! Very recently too. (She is 51 years old.)

Well, every time I spend time with her I am reminded anew that it’s not entirely my fault I was so fat. I was supposed to make breakfast but I got up late. So I grabbed the bag of muffins I made (the rest of the batch) and some almond butter. So of course Mommy and baby are hungry. Cherise is eating snack mix and wanted to go to McDonalds. I was supposed to provide breakfast so I paid for the fruit punch they wanted although it made me grit my teeth. It was 10 in the morning and my mother wanted a honeydew melon shake, but the shake machine was broken. So she got breakfast and I got coffee. When she fed Cherise (who at 3 ½ is plenty old enough to feed herself) she would break off pieces of food and stuff them into the child’s mouth before she had a chance to finish chewing the last one. I practically yelled at her to stop doing that but she wouldn’t. We ate muffins in the car too. Not an hour later, she stops at Taco Bell and gets two tacos and two MORE fruit punches since Cherise sucked down the first one.

My point being, this is the way I was fed my whole life. I was 6 pounds when I was born and like Anna everybody was trying to fatten me up. Well, it worked, thank you very much. I managed to stick to my plan though, and every time I stand firm I get stronger around her.

However, Debbie, you are right about those muffins. There are only two left now and I won’t be making another batch anytime soon! I could tell I ate too many carbs because I felt drugged-sleepy this afternoon. Getting VERY sensitive to the effects. But it’s been so long since I had anything like that that they tasted like heaven. I did do some damage control by having only a green papaya salad (yummy) for supper (and two more mini muffins).

Mary, don’t you love that Chinese food? And most of it is quite healthful if you make the right choices so a bit off plan won’t kill you (like those killer spring rolls I had the other day, but no rice.)

In other news, I had a haircutting experience from **** today. I actually walked out of the salon without paying, and I’m going to have to write them a letter explaining why. I was scheduled with Cory, my regular, and Myrtle, this old lady, was cutting my hair, with no notice to me. After about 2 minutes, Myrtle was finished. I asked her if she was going to shave the back like I asked. She said she didn’t know how. Worst of all, she tried to convince me that it looked “very nice!” I responded, “It’s not what I want!” This went on forever, and she finally agreed to have Cory fix it. When I got home, Martin said, “Looks like you didn’t get your hair cut after all.” AAARRRGHH!

But everything evens out. Found the birdcage after all. Had a lovely talk with my quasi-boyfriend. Feel content for the first time in forever.

Have a good Sunday everybody!

Love,

Chris
164/157/130
3/26/01

"A master in the art of living draws no distinction between her work and her play, her labor and her leisure, her mind and her body, her education and her recreation. She hardly knows which is which. She simply pursues her vision of excellence to whatever she is doing, and leaves others to determine whether she is working or playing. To herself, she always seems to be doing both.” -- Author Unknown

Last edited by SparkleScamp; 05-06-2001 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:17 AM   #112  

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Got a late start this morning but did get in my 4.5 miles giving me a total of 25.5 miles for the week

I woke up around 4am this morning thinking it was Monday and that I hadn't prepared to post the board-thank goodness I was wrong and it's only Sunday! Geez, I think about you all even in my sleep!

I forgot to mention that yesterday I got a college book on NUTRITION at a garage sale, look interesting, and was only 10cents! Also picked up a pair of 10lb handweights for $3.00, so I'll try to start using those some.

Have nothing exciting planned for the day, kids are going with their Dad and Eli is at work-guess I will clean the kitchen, again-and make some muffins.

Speaking of kitchen, I am hanging up the towel. I just seem to get worse every time I attempt to cook something. Last night I made a pre-seasoned roast, it was hard as a rock-the other night I screwed up hamburgers-hamburgers, would you believe!?! I better stick to the few things I know how to make well-of course the old joke is RESERVATIONS!!!!

QUILTER, when's the last time you took a peek at our TIPS & TOOLS BOARD?? Back in November we posted the PRETTY IMPRESSIVE SITE-see, all along you could of known about her site!! Whenever anyone new asks me about SB, I refer them to her site, it's a lot easier than explaining it in detail.

MELF, that's wonderful that you had some time to take your Mother out and that she enjoyed it. How has she been adapting to her new surroundings?

SPARKLE, glad to hear you found some goodies at the garage sales-try looking for some old vegetarian/natural cookbooks when you are out-those have lots of great SB legal recipes in them. Well, I guess in SB terms I didn't cheat, you CAN have pumpernickle bread, I found out for sure, thought it was okay, but wasn't 100% sure before now-but it is, so no cheating, just ate something I hadn't for well over 1 year. It actually has the lowest GI of any bread, coming in with 49-so, not cheating here I guess.

Well, time to go-I'll check in with you all this evening. Please remember, we start the new board tomorrow and it's MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY TOMORROW so if you have any words of wisdom or motivation, please, try to post them tomorrow

Have a great day!

Debbie
194/133.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-06-2001, 01:26 PM   #113  

Hi, Everyone,
I started reading the posts from last week at about 7:30 this morning, and just finished...it's 11:15. Yep, I read all of them. I just felt so out of the "loop" that I just read all of them. I am so glad that I did because they all just imspired me, and help me to feel as if I was getting to know all of you a little better.

A little background...At the beginning of this school year I was teaching third grade and really loving it...our school needed a fourth grade teacher. I had taught fourth grade for several years before finally begging enough to get to teach third. Well...in Louisiana we have a very high-risk test, and the administration didn't want a new, inexperienced teacher to take the class...so, you guessed it!!! I found myself back in a situation that I had HATED for so many years. So, what did I do??? Did I try to start fresh?... because I was thrown to the wolves so to speak...I reverted to what I knew...and before I knew it, I think I fell into a depression. This is what led to my overall downfall with my woe.

As I shared before, I was put on the woe by my dr., and I was soooooooo good. I mean, if I went to an amusement park, I go a hamburger, and ate just the lettuce, tomato, and burger...I threw the bread away. I had a stash of triscuits in my purse, and had those with my lunch, and drank water. I still seemed to have the yeast infections...but I was still able to be strong. UNTIL I changed grade levels. Then I think it all came crashing down on me. I was unhappy at work, and was still fighting the med problem, and just gave up on the woe.

This week I was fortunate to be able to go to a teacher's convention here in town, and was able to feel a renewed spirit about what it me means to me to be a teacher. I realized that shortly after changing positions I was actually depressed and didn't realize. I had no energy, felt sick all the time, and I really feel that part of it was mentally induced. I had real symptoms...even had to go the emergency once for esophgeal spasms (that can be brought on by stress) and am now on Prevacid daily.

About a month ago, I came back here...so I guess that is truly when I made the first step, but after the conference, I knew that I had to gather all my strength and "start from now and make a new ending". Thanks for that quote Melf!!!

After reading all your posts today...I realize that I have been just feeling sorry for myself, and compared to all of you...you would give anything to have my "problems". I am not diminishing my problems for me, but realize that now I have the power to do something about them.

My first step will be to begin today...I WILL stay on sb all day today.
I will go to the grocery and buy foods to help me stay on track this week.
I am going to call tomorrow for an appointment with a new GYN. This has gone on long enough, and I feel that I have lost confidence with my doctor.

Please know that I do appreciate all the kind things that all of you have said..., and I will try to post often. If I leave someone out...it will take me a little while to catch up, but I am trying...

Melf- Again, thanks for the quote...it did help!

Fruitloupe- We meet again. I was posting around this time last year. We are practically neighbors with you living in Houma, and me in the Big Easy! In fact, I am supposed to go to Thiboudeaux in July for a Language circle Linguistics training. I was glad to see that you can still eat some fish and shrimp...gosh that would have been awful considering where you live.

Beachfan-Thanks for the flowers and sharing your story with us. You were on of the people that really made me see how easy it will be for me to get back on track with my life.

BOB-When I quick smoking I had a really hard time. It took me about nine months before I really felt secure with saying that I had quick. Congrats!!! One month. What an accomplishment. I found that staying away from caffine and alcohol helped. You are an inspiration!

Idblond-My email address is: [email protected]
I would very much appreciate seeing your agenda of what you eat. Lunch is my biggest problem. I am basically lazy when it comes to preparing meals for lunch...but I am someone who used to eat sandwhiches for the chips. So, any help would be appreciated.

Sparklescamp- You sound like you are well on your way to becoming the person that you want to be. You go, girl. Also, I envy anybody who gets to live in the land of rainbows...a reminder of a new promise everyday...

Liss_A_A-I can totally relate to your Doritos dilemma...I have been known to eat a whole bag in one sitting, and I'm not just talking about a "Big Grab" size.

Nancy-Many people have answered your question about Agave Nectar, but I am sure if you haven't already found it...you will be able to. If I can find it here, I am sure you will be able to in CA.

Debelli-What can I say...you are such an inspiration...with this site...with your determination...
I just have one question...what happens to this board when you reach your goal?!?!?!
Will you still be here for us...sharing your maintance help with us...Please?!

Fillise-As you can see above, I have experience in job changes. I wish you luck, and hope we can be here if yu need support with your changes.

Quilter-When I worked for WW, (seems like another life) we were told that when our bodies thinks it is starving...it slows down our metabolism. If you are not eating enough, we will not lose weight. Maybe, you need to increase at least some protein. Just a thought...

Starchaser-The average weight loss for any food plan should not be more than 5 pounds a month. If we loose it too fast we are more likely to gain it back.

Solshine-I have enjoyed reading your posts about your gym escapades...I am sorry that you didn't win you Survivor pool, but am glad that you are looking into a new gym. Good luck.

Catlover-I read, and have seen on several cooking shows that if you take regular granulated sugar, and put it in the food-processor, or blender it will make powdered sugar. I have tried this when in a pinch for a last minute cupcake icing. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for Splenda, or Equal, or any other artificial sweetner.

Melf-(again) I am going through what you are going through with my dad. It is hard to see someone that was so active and quick, to change into the person he is today. My mom is taking care of him right now, and I do live next door...but the time is coming when we will have to do what is necessary for him to get the best of care. This became evident at Easter when my youngest great-nephew was playing a little too hard, and had an "accident" instead of taking time to go to the bathroom. My neice was telling him that he had to take time for "potty" breaks even when he was having fun. My dad told him, "That's okay...it happens to Gandy, too sometimes." My heart goes out to you and you family, and I will look forward to your posts, so I'll have strenght to do what needs to be done, when the time comes. Thanks for sharing.

I will try to post more often...I have to go now...I really have a lot of school stuff to do...
I will post a few recipes later today if I can. Please overlook spelling errors. I didn't take the time to "Spell Check".
Old 05-06-2001, 02:00 PM   #114  
Goddess

Default um, is it Sunday yet?

Ok Deb, you had to ask about a Derby party.

I throw a party every year on the first Saturday in May, which is when they run the Kentucky Derby. I make Mint Juleps and Mimosas and everyone has to wear a hat. We bet on the race and after it is over, we head outside to my terrace and continue the party. After dark I turn on the Christmas lights I have strung over the terrace and we drink something called Harbor Lights (a cordial glass filled with Southern Comfort, topped with Galliano, and set aflame. It tastes like warm Nyquil). This party has become an institution in Auburn and anticipated for months. Everyone left around midnight--which doesn't sound bad until you realize that the party began at 4:00 in the afternoon. So it was an 8 hour party marathon.

Needless to say I was off program yesterday. Derby Day and Christmas Eve are the two days I have declared "free days" since beginning this WOE. It wasn't eating off program that was the problem--it was the drinking. I LOVE mint juleps. Derby day is the only day of the year I drink them so they are not a temptation otherwise and they simply can't be made without sugar! It's like the worst possible drink for Sugarbusters.

Anyway--I'm not doing too badly this morning. I've already hosed down the terrace and am getting ready to scrub the kitchen floor and vacum to get the house back in order. I am trying to decide if this nagging headache is from the alcohol or the sugar. Oh well the wages of sin. . ..

I am actually looking forward to a high protein dinner this evening as sort of a cleansing experience.

Susan
Who is not getting on the scales again until AT LEAST Wednesday!

Last edited by Fillise; 05-06-2001 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:57 PM   #115  

Hi everyone!

I have been so busy this week that I haven't even been able to read the posts until today. I have to say that I have been doing good with this woe this week and so has my Mom. I stayed the same, she lost one pound.

I think that I may be eating too much ww pasta, brown rice or triscuits and too much cheese. So this week I'm not eating any cheese and no pasta and no rice and just having one serving of triscuits with chicken rolled up and raw veggies for lunch and chicken and veggies for dinner. I have been struggling going up and down for a while now. I hope that this will get me going.

I was going to ask "can we have semolina pasta"?

Debbie: thanks for posting the recipie for ww wraps. It really sounds easy and I have been unable to find ww tortillas around here. This will be great.

I can't remember who it was that said that they were having a really hard time with their TOM and it being really heavy and extra long. But... I just want to say that if it comes down to the point where you have to have a hysterectomy, don't be too scared about it. It is a very big decision, but in my case I never ever regret having it done. I let it get so bad that I fell asleep everywhere, then my ex-husband couldn't wake me up, but I could hear him. It scared me and I went to the doctor. My hemoglobin count was down to 5. I had to go right to the hospital and have blood transfusions (6 pints in one week). Then a year of iron injections and a year of birth control pills, a d&c, you name it and I tried it. Finally, I had a hysterectomy and I haven't looked back. It's like I'm a new person. So..... If you do find that you have to go that route, I will be glad to answer any questions.

Beach: Thanks for telling your story. It is so inspirational.

Laurie: you are doing great. Keep it up.

Kim: Hope you have a nice time at the wedding. And I hopw that the scales start to move down for you again soon.

BOB: Congrats again on one month of no smoking! How have you been doing getting back to this woe. It sounded like you had everything under control. I wish I would get myself organized and get things all cooked and ready for the week instead of waiting until the last minute.

Everyone have a great day. I'll probably be back later to read some more posts.

Cheri
Old 05-06-2001, 04:55 PM   #116  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

WHAT IS A DERBY PARTY????

I can't believe someone who lives in the South would ask such a question.... BUT I guess you wear white shoes after LABOR DAY don't you????

DERBY is the MOST IMPORTANT day of the year in the state of KENTUCKY and a bigger HAT WEARING DAY then Easter..
The only thing WRONG WITH THE DERBY? MINT JULEPS!!
Sorry SUSAN but if God had meant for there to be cough medicine in my beverage , he would have put it in my EARLY TIMES!! SOUTHERN COMFORT shouldn't even be classified a bourbon!!
Your headache is from SUGAR because SOUTHERN COMFORT IS SUGAR! The problem with a JULEP is that it's already a bourbon with extra sugar when it's made, but then you add even more sugar when you make the actual drink.....you were getting a double wammy
My neice went to the OAKS on Friday and placed my bets for me, and I was sitting IN THE TV when the race came on. Being a Native Kentuckian I miss race season more than the change of season...

ANNA Thanks for the compliment....I really like you a lot too! Thanks too for sharing your history with eveyone..I think it helps when everyone can relate. My dear, you are A TRUE STEEL MAGNOLIA

KIM I have a wonderful girdle..don't wear it much, but I got it when I was in a wedding...it comes up to the bottom of your bra, and it's like having an all over on.
I went to one of those corset shops and they fit you into what you need.

I took back my unused patches today!!! I still have that urge to smoke, but am being quite strong..and for me, that's great!!! My Pharmacist is so proud of me, and the praise makes me feel SUPER!!!
Thanks again for all the support that each and every one of you has given me.

Well I'm off to grill up some Chicken...while that's cooking, I'll be fixing my green beans...

Debbie, don't you beat yourself up for not being able to cook...as long as Eli will do it, let him...I wish I had someone to cook for me...I would pull up the chaise lounge and tell them to go to it

Everyone have a great evening

BOB

Last edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE; 05-06-2001 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:18 PM   #117  

Hi Everyone

Thought I'd get in a post while I have the house still to myself. Did really nothing today. Had to work on a volunteer form for tomorrow's open house at the high school to try and get volunteers signed up for next year-should be easy with the 9th grade parents, older ones are light pulling teeth to get them to volunteer! Went to the grocery store and stopped for the newspaper-that was my exciting day today!

ICESKATE, glad to see you posting today. There are many teachers on this board, so you are in great company. It's not easy being a teacher these days, I'm sure, and that's sad when you really sit down and think about it. Teachers shape the future for the kids. It should be one of the most respected professions! I'm glad you feel revitatlized now after your conference. Please let us know if we can help you in any way possible-we all want to see each other succeed on SB and reach our goals. And speaking of goals, don't worry, I'm not going ANYWHERE! When I reach goal, I'll still be here The participation on this board has brought me to where I am today, and I will continue posting because I truly believe this board has kept me in line these past 13 months. You'll find the more you are involved in the board, the more likely you are going to stay OP. So, not to worry-you're all stuck with me!!!!

FILLISE, thanks for the explanation of the Derby Party, sounds like you had a blast! After I posted the question to you I saw on the tv about the Kentucky Derby, so I figured it was a party for that. Would LOVE to see a picture of you adorned in your hat!!!! The drinks sounded interesting, well, all but the warm Nyquil one-YECK!

CHERI, tell your Mom congrats on the pound loss! Kudos for you too, staying the same is lots better than gaining! When you eat pasta & rice, what do you consider a serving size to be? How much cheese are you eating? It's a great source of calcium, so if you cut that out, please, try to fulfill getting your calcium other ways. You want pasta made with 100% durum wheat semolina or WW flours.

BOB, who the heck in Miami knows about a Derby Party! Down here, the only big party we hear about is Calle Ocho. We may be south, but it's definitely NOT horse country! Eli really does like cooking, and he's great at it-one day you'll come visit and he'll make one of his chicken concoctions-you'll love it. Seriously though, I feel bad, he works all day and has to come home to cook while I don't work-just isn't right. I took the meat I made and threw it in the food processor and ground it up for a sandwich, wasn't too bad.

Okay gals, I'm gone for now-will try to check in before I go to bed tonight. Remember, the new board starts tomorrow!!!!!

TOODLES!

Debbie
194/133.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-06-2001, 05:52 PM   #118  

Debbie

Thanks for letting me know about the semolina pasta. As for the cheese, I have been eating about 3-4 oz a day. The pasta and rice when I eat it I eat 1/2 cup.

But I'm wondering, when I eat the pasta or rice and have had a slice of ww toast for breakfast and triscuits with cheese for a snack and then have 1/2 sandwich with ww bread for lunch and then 1/2 cup of pasta or rice at dinner . Do you think I'm having too much in one day? Should I only have 2 slices of ww bread in one day, or 1/2 cup of pasta or rice in one day, etc?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Cheri
Old 05-06-2001, 06:00 PM   #119  

CHERI

Thanks for posting your info. Yes, this may definitely be the culprit. SB says to have 2-3 starchy carbs a day, and you are having 5, so do cut back. You just may be consuming too many carbs. Are you keeping any type of food journal? Try to limit your cheese to up to 2 ounces a day, that's for full fat cheeses, like cheddar.
Old 05-06-2001, 08:02 PM   #120  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Good Sunday Afternoon to All!!

Sounds like everyone is having fun. I've been working on scrapbooking and taking in easy today.

I didn't see the response if semolina pasta was SB safe. I was also going to ask if Spinach noodles are SB safe. I think they are made with semolina also.

Cheri
I have been very conciencious about my carbs. I just make a rule for myself, if I have a piece of toast with breakfast, than I can only have a 1/2 sandwich for lunch.
If I am planning a strach for dinner, then I make sure I cut something out at breakfast or lunch. So far so good, but I'm no expert on the program, just a newbie!

BOB
I'm starting to get a complex that I'm already on your last nerve. I had a few questions I asked you...I think on Friday and didn't hear back I'm starting to feel like chopped-liver.

Fillise
Your Derby Party sounded fun. How many hats do you have? Does everyone try to come with the biggest, silliest one they can find, or is it more of a refined evening? I've never had a mint julup, but then again, I've lived in Ca. all my life.

Quilter
I'm making your "Beef Stroganoff" recipe that you posted on the April board. I couldn't find any WW flat noodles, So I bought the sprial kind. I'm sure it will taste just as good.

Well, time to walk the dog! I called the Orphan pet place to see if any of Floyds brother or sister had not been adopted yet, and the last one was adopted yesterday. I was feeling week and wanted to get one more puppy. I'm sure my husband is relieved. I thought it would balance things out..2 kids, two cats, two dogs....oh well. At least they all having homes now!
Closed Thread