Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 11:05 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD.

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB legal. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB legal, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

APRIL 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=3775

MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2379

FEBRUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2375

JANUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9743#post19743

DECEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9741#post19741

NOVEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/newr...&threadid=2356

OCTOBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2354

AUGUST RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2353

JULY RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2351
Old 05-03-2001, 10:20 AM   #2  

I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounded so easy that even I, the one who hates to cook/bake, may even try it!

HONEY (AGAVE) HEALTH BREAD

2 1/2 cups SGWW flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy or rye flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 tsp salt, if desired
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup honey (USE AGAVE NECTAR)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda and salt.

2. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, honey (agave), and vegetable oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until the ingredients are just combined. Pour the batter into a well-greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or 2 miniloaf pans.

3. Bake the bread in a preheared 325 oven for 1 hour (45 to50 minutes for small loaves).

NOTE! When using agave nectar, generally you lower the temperature 25 degrees, so keep an eye on this if you try it with the agave nectar.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:27 AM   #3  

WHEAT-AND-WALNUT MUFFINS

1 1/2cups whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired
3 tablespoons wheat germ
1 large egg, lighyly beaten
1 cup skim or low-fat milk
1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar)
1 cup chopped walnuts (you can use less)

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and wheat germ.

2. In a small bolw, beat togethre the egg, milk and honey. dd this to the flour mixture.

3. Stir in the nuts, and let the batter stand for a fwe minutes.

4. Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin cups. Bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes (do NOT overbake, or the muffins will be too dry). Remove the muffins from the tin to cool on a rack.

NOTE! If using agave nectar, you may want to lower your oven by 25 degrees. I made these according to the 1tbl of honey (used agave) that it called for, there was no sweetness to them and they were a bit too dry. I would suggest increasing the agave to 1/4 cup, which is what I'll try to do with them next time I make them. I made a dozen mini muffins and 6 muffin caps-baking them for 12 minutes.

Last edited by Debelli; 05-10-2001 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:33 AM   #4  

WHITE CLAM SAUCE

2 dozen littneck clams or 1 10 ounce can whole or minced clams
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt, if desired, to taste (omit if using canned clams)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. In a pot with a cover, steam the calms in the ater. As soon as the clams open, remove them from their shells, and chop them. Save the liquid in the pots and any that drips from the shells. Straint he juice (If you used canned clams, chop them and save the juice.)

2. In a heavy sauceplan, saute the garlic in the oil for 1 minute, but do not let the garlic brown.

3. Add the chopped clams and enough of the reserved clam juice to the sauce so that the desired consistency is reached. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.

4. Serve the sauce over WW pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan, if desired.
Old 05-03-2001, 03:27 PM   #5  

This recipe is from Allrecipes and sounded easy:

Whole Wheat Wraps

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup warm water

1 In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Pour in water; stir to combine. Mix in additional water in 1 tablespoon increments, until a soft pliable dough is formed.
2 Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
3 Flour each ball well, place between two pieces of wax paper and roll out to desired size and thickness.
4 Heat an ungreased skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Peel away wax paper and grill rounds until brown flecks appear underneath. Turn and cook other side. Serve warm or cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

Makes 16 wraps
Old 05-03-2001, 03:39 PM   #6  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default Spaghetti Squash N Clam Sauce

1 med. spaghetti squash
1 jar SF spaghetti sauce
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Italian seasonings (I used fresh)
1 tsp olive oil
2 cans (6.5 oz each) chopped clams [i](I couldn't find any without sugar so I bought 2 cans (10 oz. whole baby clams)

1. Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds - poke holes in the shell

2. Place squash halves in the microwave for 8 minutes on high - rotate and put in for another 6 minutes or until tender.

3. Meanwhile - heat the olive oil over med heat and add onions, garlic and seasonings for about 3 minutes.

4. Add sauce to onions, etc. and 1 can of clams with some of the juice. Drain the other can and add just the clams.

5. Bring to a slow boil - then lower to simmer and simmer for a few minutes.

6. Scrape the "spaghetti" from the squash onto plates and add sauce to the spaghetti.

We add a little cayenne and Parmesan to ours.
So simple, good and healthy!
Old 05-05-2001, 04:58 AM   #7  
Everyday angel

Default Bluer than Blue mini muffins

I totally made this up! Don't make them before TOM.

1 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup plain yogurt, no gelatin brand
1 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
1 cup frozen blueberries and/or marionberries, thawed
8 packets Splenda

1 - 2 tablespoon(s) butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first two ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Sift in baking powder and combine thoroughly. Mix Splenda and berries. Combine all ingredients except butter and mix gently until ingredients are just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Batter will be thick.

Generously grease 2 12-compartment mini muffin pans with softened butter. Spoon in batter to just above the tops of the muffin compartments.

Bake for 25 minutes. Cool and remove from muffin pans. Serve plain or with a tiny bit of sugar-free jam.

Makes 24 mini muffins.

~Chris
Old 05-06-2001, 02:40 PM   #8  

Default Chile Verde Dip

Chile Verde Dip
( from Pampered Chef, Season's Best Recipe Collection Spring/Summer 2001)

1 can(16 0z) refried beans
1 tsp plus 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
1 lime
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 can (3-1/4 oz) pitted ripe olives, divided
5 oz cheddar cheese, grated, divided ( 1-1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In small bowl, mix refried beans with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix; spread over bottom of deep dish pie plate which has been srayed or greased..

2. Juice lime to measure 1 tablespoon juice. Mix cream cheese, lime juice, chilies, garlic, & remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix until smooth . Add onion, olives & 1 cup of the cheese to bowl; mix well.

3. Spoon cheese mixture over bean layer in pie dish. Bake at 400* for 20-25 minutes or until hot. Remove to cooling rack. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, olives, sliced or chopped, & snipped cilantro. Serve hot with Baked Tortilla Chips, or favorite crackers. I used Triscuits.

Yields 16 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 120, Toatal Fat 9 g, Saturated Fats 5g, Cholesterol 25 g, Carbohydrates 6 g, Sodium 270 mg, Fiber 2 g
Old 05-10-2001, 06:42 PM   #9  

This is not only easy, but yummy!!!!

Whole Wheat Sponge Cake

6 eggs, separated
1 ts vanilla
1/2 c honey, warmed (use agave nectar in its place)
1 tb lemon juice
1 ts grated lemon rind
1 c SG whole wheat flour

Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom of a 9-inch tube pan. Butter the bottom of the pan; place waxed paper on the bottom, then butter the waxed paper. Do not grease the sides of the pan.

Place the egg whites and vanilla in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until they are very stiff. Continue beating, and add the honey (agave) in a very slow, thin stream. Beat until the mixture is stiff and forms peaks.

Combine the lemon juice and rind and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Then fold one-fourth of the egg whites thoroughly into the yolks, using a wire whisk to stir, not beat, the eggs. Pour this mixture over the remaining egg whites and sprinkle the flour on top. Gently fold all the ingredients together, taking care to incorporate all the flour, yet not lose too much air from the egg whites.

Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated 350 deg F oven for 20 to 30 minutes. When the cake is golden brown and springy to the touch, and the sides begin to pull away from the pan, invert the pan on a cooling rack immediately. Let cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake with a knife and remove the pan. Remove the waxed paper and set cake on rack until cool.

NOTES: I've had this 3 times now, and it is fabulous, at least it is to me! We used the agave nectar, (no need to heat it as you would if using honey) reduced the temp by 25 degrees and baked it the full 30 minutes. If you try to invert it, be careful, ours slipped right out (thank goodness I was there to catch it). On the 2nd try, I added some lemon extract in it. Though my Mother didn't think so, it does freeze well.

I figured out the nutrional values:

FOR ENTIRE CAKE: approx. 1205 calories, 29 grams of fat, 210 carbs, 55 protein & 8 fiber.

PORTIONS: if you made 10 out of this recipe, it would be 120 cal, 3 fat, 21 carbs and 5 1/2 protein-approx. OR by the ounce, each ounce would be approx. 65 calories, 1.5 fat, 11 carbs and 3 protein. PLEASE NOTE: I had originally made a mistake on the carbs per ounce and it has now been updated to reflect the correct amount

Last edited by Debelli; 06-04-2001 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:30 AM   #10  
Golfing Gal

Default SF cheesecake recipe

I have not tried this yet. My sil made it for mothers day and it was good. She is going to try baking the crust first before adding cheesecake mixture. First time she just baked it all together.

Triscuit Cracker crust

1 cup crushed low sodium Triscuit
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar substitute
¼ cup softened butter or margarine
for a little flavor add cinnamon to crushed Triscuits

Mix all ingredients together and place in a lightly greased 9 inch springform pan.

Cheesecake

16 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
3 eggs
1 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
12 packets sugar substitute (you might want to add more to taste).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 15 minutes. Pour mixture into a 9-inch springform pan. Place a pan of hot water in the oven. If water evaporates during baking, add more hot water as needed. Bake for 1 hour, turn off oven and leave cake in oven for 1 hour more.

Last edited by catlover; 05-17-2001 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:51 AM   #11  

SPICY CHICKEN BREASTS WIT CARAMELIZED ONION-RED PEPPER RELISH

1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
4 (4 ounce) skinned, boned chichen breast halves
2 cups sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 red bell peppers, each cut into 4 wedges
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tbl pine nuts, toasted
1 tbl balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub both sides of chicken iwth spice mixture. Arrange onion and bell peppers in a 13x9 inch bakin dish, and top with chicken. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 (do not remove chicken from oven), and bake an additional 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from dish, and keep warm. Remove onion mixture from dish, and chip. Combine onion mixture, pepper, basil, nuts and vinegar. Serve with chicken. Makes 4 servings (1 chicken breast half and about 1/2 cup relish).
Old 05-22-2001, 12:40 PM   #12  

Default Fast & Hearty Pasta with Lentils

This quick low-fat vegetarian main dish sounds good & is from Busy Cooks. Its secret ingredient is a can of quality lentil soup. From the No-Time-To-Cook Cookbook.

1 lb. small shell pasta
1 19-oz. can lentil soup*
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

* Progresso brand is a good choice.

1. Bring a 4-quart pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.

2. While the water is heating up, place the soup in a 1-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until hot. Stir in the garlic powder and black pepper.

3. Drain the pasta well, and return it to the pot. Pour the soup on top, and toss well.

4. Spoon the pasta into individual dishes. Top each with a tablespoon of Parmesan, and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings
Old 05-25-2001, 12:38 PM   #13  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default COTTAGE CHEESE IDEAS

Cottage cheese is a good healthy way to get our calcium and protein. I found these ideas on one of my favorite web-sites:
http://<a href="http://www.stumptuou...ights.html</a>

I have not tried them all - and, given my aversion to tuna, I will not try some of them. Nevertheless, I figured some of you gals might appreciate the ideas so I've included them as well.

Cottage Cheese Fruit Dip
1 cup cottage cheese
sugar substitute to equal 2tbl sugar (more or less depending on taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine above ingredients in blender. Serve with fruit. For the Ukrainians in the crowd, this is also nice drizzled over poppyseed cake. Or, you can simply mix cottage cheese with cut-up fruit for a nice fruit salad.

Tuna and Cottage Cheese Mix
1 part canned tuna
1 part cottage cheese
This mixture is incredibly versatile. Eat it on its own or use it in a sandwich.

Bean and Avocado Salad
1 part chopped cooked green beans
1 part cooked kidney beans
1 part chopped avocado
1 part cottage cheese
Splash of lemon juice
Pinch of salt
Mix all ingredients together and serve cold.

Tuna Pasta
1/2 cup tuna and cottage cheese mix
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
Mix and heat for a few minutes over medium heat, stirring often, till flavours combine. Toss with pasta and top with grated Parmigiana. For a variation, try adding salsa.

Tuna Melts
Prepare tuna and cottage cheese mix. Spread over pieces of bread (nice multigrain buns cut in half work well for this). Top with sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese (old cheddar gives you the most flavour bang for your buck, and ensures you don't need a lot). Microwave for a minute or so, or grill under broiler (watch it--these burn fast!), till cheese on top is melted.

Tuna and Cottage Cheese Salad
Prepare tuna and cottage cheese mix. Toss with vinaigrette, chopped tomatoes, mixed leafy greens, and whatever other fresh chopped veggies you feel like throwing in. You can even toss in some chopped cooked egg whites if you like. Tastes pretty good on its own or topped with grated Parmigiana (you guessed it, I put the stuff on everything!). As a variation, toss cottage cheese alone with some fresh chopped spinach and shredded red cabbage in a creamy dressing.

Cottage Cheese Pasta
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 cup chopped tomatoes
Plenty of chopped fresh basil
1/2 clove chopped garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
Mix and heat for a few minutes over medium heat till flavours combine, cheese melts a bit, and garlic becomes fragrant. Toss with pasta and top with grated Parmigiana.

Vinaigrette:
(since vinaigrette recipes are as individual as chili recipes, this is merely a suggestion for those of you so culinarily impaired that the thought of prepping your own vinaigrette paralyzes you completely)
1/2 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup olive and 1/4 cup flax seed oil
1/4 cup red cooking wine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 to 1 tsp Dijon mustard (depending on how zesty you like your vinaigrettes--I like them to burn my sinuses)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Pinch of dried basil, oregano, parsley, and/or garlic
Combine all ingredients in a sealed container and shake to blend. You can adjust proportions to taste and add natural yogurt (or even blenderized cottage cheese!) for a creamier texture.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes
(this one is a little more decadent and good for an indulgent cheat day)
3/4 cup ww flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp double-acting baking powder
2 tbsp powdered sugar (use sugar substitute instead)
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla

Filling (mix all of these together):
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg yolk
1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla/grated lemon rind
Mix dry ingredients together. Beat egg and then combine with milk, water, and vanilla/lemon. Add mixture to dry ingredients and combine with a few swift strokes. Grease a nonstick skillet lightly and heat it for a minute or two. Pour batter into pan and cook very thin cakes on one side only. Remove from heat and place on a clean teatowel cooked side up (the pancake, not the towel). Place about 2 tbsp of filling into each cake then roll and return to pan seam-side down. Cook till brown, turning once. You might need to re-grease the pan. Serve hot, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

Cottage Cheese Nachos
fat free cottage cheese
lean or extra lean ground beef)
some tomaotes/green peppers or salsa
Triscuits

Combine all ingredients and you have some healthy nachos! They are awesome, high in protein, low in carb and fat....

also, try cottage cheese mixed with microwaved garbanzos and add 1 packet of Equal.....

Cottage Cheese and "Tasteless Tuna"
Also, try this discovery: if you boil tuna for 2 minutes in water, it loses about 80-90% of that nasty tuna taste! Just don't eat it hot. Pour cool water over it and drain it so that it is cool and dry and it is almost tasteless! Mix it with cottage cheese and Equal and garbanzo beans and it is perfect!

Scramble some eggs and just before you are ready to take them out of the pan, add some diced tomatoes and some cottage cheese just long enough to make them warm. The cheese should just start to melt a little but still look like pieces of cottage cheese. (Sounds gross but tastes good.)

Cottage cheese & other stuff
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup of frozen blueberries (big plump ones, not pale little ones)
1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or more to your liking
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, again to your liking
4 teaspoons of slivered or sliced almonds

1) put the cottage cheese and yogurt in a bowl
2) blend the blueberries (can be misc frozen fruit if market doesn't have any) with the applesauce
3) put the blueberry mix into the above bowl
4) put the nutmeg and cinnamon in the bowl
5) mix it all up
6) dust top with almonds

Last edited by Debelli; 05-31-2001 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:55 AM   #14  

Moving up!
Old 11-04-2001, 03:15 PM   #15  

Moving this up!
Closed Thread