Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Passover and Easter are now over. How well did you stay on plan???
I plead the 5th! Don't ask, and I won't tell. 5 15.15%
I experienced temporary insanity! I forgot that I was on SB! 4 12.12%
I ate one thing that wasn't OP. 5 15.15%
I ate one meal off plan and then got right back OP. 4 12.12%
One day I threw all caution to the wind & then got right back OP. 3 9.09%
Blew the entire weekend, but am back OP starting today. 5 15.15%
I planned ahead and stayed on plan 100% the whole time. 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 11:01 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FITNESS

Please visit our NEWEST BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...4143#post34143

Please make sure you post your BIO on the NEWEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our APRIL 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=3775

We have FOUR INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2342

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2344

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2365[/url

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2359

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4281

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS INFO and BE COUNTED in our weekly totals of pounds lost?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD BELOW to post your stats!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4280

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit NEW REPLY NOT NEW THREAD then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. Also, when the board gets to the 2nd & 3rd page, sometimes it may take a little longer for your message to appear, you can refresh your browser, or wait, but it will show up! If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 04-15-2001, 11:07 PM   #2  

Default THIS WEEKS BIRTHDAY!

Hey, it's KAREN'S BIRTHDAY APRIL 19th and BIGORANGE'S BIRTHDAY FRIDAY, APRIL 20th!!!!!!

Last edited by Debelli; 04-16-2001 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:28 AM   #3  

Default JUST A QUICKIE

GatorGal - Hi, I'd been wondering what had happened to you as I hadn't seen you post for a week or so. Glad to see you are still with us. Deb and I were trying to "talk" to each other on IM. We are able to "chat" but not "talk". Have you tried voice talk on IM? To go to the post where you previously left off, click on the arrow near the top of the page where it says "Go to last post".

Ashley - Sounds like you had a wonderful meal to-day. I'm sure you will work off any excesses on the treadmill. In the Q & A in SB it does say that semolina flour is o.k. but then it tells you to stick to whole wheat pasta. This is one of the contradictions in the book but there really isn't too much difference in the gi of the white or whole wheat pasta, so I'm sure it is o.k. to have occasionally.

CathyCathy - I too had a problem with brown rice when I first tried it. I've tried different varieties and the one I find the most palatable is LUNDBERG'S BROWN BASMATI, cooked according to package instructions either on top of the stove or in the rice cooker. It's grown in California and I usually find it in the regular grocery store. They do have a web site if you want to check it out. http://www.lundberg.com

Good night all.

Marie.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:08 AM   #4  
Everyday angel

Default This'll hold ya 'till Tuesday! ;)

HAPPY EASTER FOLKS! (It’s still Sunday in Hawaii.) I don’t actively celebrate so it’s not a problem for me, but I’m so glad to hear happy reports from all of you on your victories!

ABOUT BREAKFAST

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about breakfast. It was enlightening to hear not only what you eat, but how you find time to fit this meal into your busy schedules.

Here are my ideas:

2 fried eggs over brown rice, with or without bacon (I cook a big batch of bacon in the oven and put it in the freezer. Then I toss a couple of strips in with my eggs and it's done in a few minutes!)

French toast with whole grain bread...easy and delicious! Sometimes with a spoonful of all-fruit spread. I make my own bread and always have it sliced and ready to go in the freezer!

Pb&j sandwiches with whole grain bread, fruit spread and fresh-ground all natural peanut butter

Shredded wheat with soy milk, and two boiled eggs (separately of course)

Egg salad on whole grain bread

An omelette (my specialty) with onions, mushrooms, cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and/or bacon AND I throw in brown rice or even oatmeal.

"Pancakes" with whole wheat flour or wheat bran. The difference is I use more eggs (2) and less flour (1/4 cup) so that it turns out rather dense and heavy but tastes good.

Click for more ideas, some of them not entirely legal!

Rhroo, I’m anxious to hear how it went!

Deb, sounds like you made a drastic improvement in the fiber intake! I read in Shape magazine not to increase fiber to quickly, but of course I did it anyway, and for a few days was rather, hmmm, AIRY to be around. But after those couple days I adjusted and have had no problems since.

I will e-mail you for those breakfast ideas; would love to hear them. I don’t think the tabouli mix had added sugar, I just wasn’t sure what grain it is based on. I will look it up next time I go to the health food store. I added olive oil, tomatoes, almonds, red onions and a FEW raisins...I know they aren’t legal but it needed just a touch of sweetness. It turned out really good, and is great for a quick meal.

The mushrooms were a big carton, maybe two pounds, but yeah, it was pretty expensive. I thought it was 5 and got to the checkout and found out it was 8, but by that time I was craving them! I love vegetables but there are some that tend to rot before I can get to them, especially celery, and carrots. But some veggies, partially because they are so expensive, are a real treat for me and I look forward to them nearly as much as my higher-calorie favorite foods. My very favorite vegetable is a steamed artichoke with melted butter...orgasmatic!!!! In fact it’s one of my favorite treats overall. Mushrooms and asparagus are close seconds. Zucchini is a little cheaper so I have it more

You just amaze me with your self-control with your chocolate. I wonder if I’ll ever reach that point. Right now my two big things are the ice cream and the shredded wheat, which I’m rationing. I’m still obsessing over both, pretty badly, but haven’t “cheated” yet. However I’m able to walk by the cookies and cake at Safeway with barely a twitch of panic in my brow, when it used to drive me crazy just to be near them at first.

And yes I was laughing at your toothpick story! Too funny! That reminds me, I read somewhere of a young dancer who would get all these chocolates as gifts from her admirers, but her mother would only allow her to eat one piece per week. I have thought of that story over and over again through the years and could never comprehend the idea of eating only one piece of chocolate per week...or just a little bit of ice cream...until now! Still adjusting however.

Marie, if I eat breakfast super early it doesn’t “register” for me either and I end up being even hungrier later. Works best for me to eat around 9. Unfortunately I’m at work by then so what I have ended up doing since I started running in the mornings again the past few days, is to eat the carb part before my run, such as a cup of shredded wheat, and then grab something quick as I’m starting work, like two boiled eggs.

I have starchy carbs with every meal now, such a nice change from low carb, but make them the side part of the meal instead of the main “base.” Am slowly cutting down on the amounts too.

The AOL browser doesn’t interface with AIM chat, last I know which is version 5.0. AIM, although it’s free and AOL costs money monthly, is a MUCH more advanced program. But yes, if Debbie opens up AIM separately while using AOL to connect, it sometimes works (I found the connection to be a little sketchy.) I’ve used AOL for years and can safely say it really sucks, except for when I’m traveling. Then I thank the little grey-faced executive gods. (Plug for high-speed Internet: a MUST for any household with two or more computers!)

Orange, you said, “Our board is probably THE ONLY one in cyberspace that doesn't fight and bicker ...This is because of one thing..WE ALL GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER..” Well I don’t know if this group is the ONLY one that doesn’t bicker, but we are certainly unusually supportive. I am just tickled pink how I can ask a question and get such detailed, caring responses every time. However if a group of people “know” each other for a long time, there are bound to be misunderstandings and differences of opinion at one time or another...unless everybody is too scared to open their mouths...no big deal as long as the environment is one of respect and caring, as it definitely is here.

Okay, this is later. I see there was some controversy over a post by Amseraphim, which I don’t see. Must have been deleted. Ann, none of the previous discussion was directed to you. However, since I have been here you have mentioned being ignored twice. Since you’re the only one who has ever said anything about people not responding to you, I can see where you might take the discussion personally. I have noticed though, that in your last few posts you have been especially positive and cheerful! I always enjoy reading about your garden adventures...since I live in a high-rise apartment building (at least I have a balcony!) I don’t have any plants and have to get SOME gardening stories vicariously! ((((HUGS)))) Now let’s all move on to a BRAND-NEW WEEK!

Catsrule, well on my side, it’s more complicated than just having to adjust to eating different foods. It brought out a lot of other issues. But fortunately my roommate and I are not in a relationship so nothing is so serious that I can’t move on if necessary. I am not going to say any more “in public,” just that right now it’s hard for me to find the time to seek out a more supportive friendship so it leaves me doing things alone most of the time. With your husband, at least he is making the effort although he may not be as enthusiastic as you are right now. With time, love and patience I am sure everything will work out.

GatorGal, well it was certainly nice to “see” your lovely face around these here parts! I must add that I don’t trust my computer as far as I can throw it, which I would like to do most of the time anyway, and save AT LEAST every few minutes or as soon as I finish a paragraph! CNTL+S people--it’s not difficult!

Thank you for the “pancake” idea...I’m going to try that one. Sounds like they might even freeze for a grab-n-go breakfast. My nails are doing okay. I’m still not biting them but it takes so much time just to deal with the cuticles. I have several cuts on my hands, one of them from when I threw a razor in my gym bag and reached in to grab something, and another from god knows what, so I’m pretty grouchy about the subject in general. But I plan to take a few minutes tonight to work them over and redo my toenail polish, so I should feel better.

I will try your idea of “super slow” lifting because it’s really in line with what I figured out I should be doing anyway. Now that my eating is clean I have the mental focus to analyze my workout routine and see what I need to improve. It’s amazing. I don’t think the 30+ reps I was doing was doing me a lick of good. So I will keep you informed as to how I do with the heavier weights. I must admit that I haven’t managed to get any weights in this week although I have kept up with the abs, since I changed my routine mid-week. But next week, I’m getting the two sessions in for sure.

For those of you (Debbie that means you) who feel that muscle gained is weight gained....there is a vast difference between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat. A pound of muscle is a like having a fat-burning factory right there in your body. Because even if you don’t do any exercise, that muscle is burning 100 calories a day more than if it didn’t exist. I actually weight roughly the same as when I was a teenager but I am at least two sizes SMALLER due to increased muscle mass.

Debbie, it is possible that your body is “fighting” to stay this weight, and weight training might be just the thing to get you past this tough spot. Yes, you may gain weight in the short term (although I seriously doubt you will, as you’ll be burning fat more efficiently) but the long-term results will be worth it.

Ashley, that strawberry salad sounds just DIVINE! I will definitely be trying that especially as lovely strawberry season is on its way! I have put tons of mileage on the treadmill too, and still do. I would really like to try yoga if my schedule allows although it might be too slow paced for me. However everybody I’ve met who has been into yoga has been pretty darn toned and muscular! There must be something to it.

Oh, I almost forgot. How much will you take for your husband? How about for just one weekend? (green with envy)

Cathy, I make brown/wild rice and it turns out fine. I like it better than white rice. What is “mahatma” rice? Is it an instant or processed variety? Sounds like you added too much water.

I’m glad you’re sticking around and being honest about going off program. I am just curious as to the reason why you chose, (as you well put it) to have three “illegal” foods at once. After all there must be some logic behind it. What was going through your mind at the time? What could you have done differently?

Somebody on my other forum suggested keeping Splenda and cinnamon in an old container with holes drilled on top, and sprinkling it over buttered wheat toast for breakfast. I had never thought of that and it sounds good. For my french toast too.

Karen, thanks for saying hi! I have a hard time keeping up during the week too and still haven’t COMPLETELY stuck to my promise to never post during working hours (GROWL). I like being here better than just about anything right now, but work comes first!

Froggie and SolShine hi gals! miss ya!

Today’s thoughts

Okay my clothes are all washed and my house is clean, I made another batch of ice cream and washed the dishes...but still haven’t started my taxes! For a baby financial planner I’m being rather silly. But I just don’t want to face it. Will get up early tomorrow and do them before work.

Now that I have been following this WOE for several weeks, I have some insights. The first few days were really difficult. Even after abstaining from sugar since January, my body had some major adjusting to do. It took probably two weeks for my energy levels to go up. This weekend, I’ve been sleeping about 5 hours a night, or less and am not tired.

Ever since the first day I started, I have had a lot of trouble concentrating on work or focusing on any task that requires sitting still and concentrating. Like Saturday, I had to cut some checks and it took me several hours just to do that one task. I’m still having trouble and I’m not sure what to do about it.

I just started reading the classic Sugar Blues that I understand started the revolution. I got it on the way to the beach today and couldn’t put it down although I was hanging with my roommate at the time. It’s absolutely fascinating. Some of it reads as kinda old-fashioned but I found the insights on the political history of sugar absolutely fascinating. The author mentioned that he had bad acne as a teenager when he used to suck down grape sodas and malted milk constantly. I suffered from severe acne from before puberty to my mid twenties and would have done ANYTHING to get rid of it. Now I wonder how much my condition was tied in to my diet, which consisted almost entirely of starch and sugar.

My roommate (btw his name is Martin) made a yummy dish with Italian sausage, peppers, onions and other veggies. He had it over pasta (a big huge bowl followed by a bowl of sugar cereal) and I had it over a half cup of brown/wild rice with a little tabouli salad on the side. It was really nice because he was considerate enough to cook something we could BOTH enjoy, with a little adjustment.

Rollerblading adventures! I did end up going last night after all, despite the rain. It was about 11 at night. Well, I was so tired that I fell twice for no discernable reason. The second time, I was going at my top speed and skidded on my a$$, leaving a huge strawberry (about the size of a dinner plate) on my butt below my shorts. It hurt so bad I was crying, but I kept on going. At 8 miles I was too tired to go on but I did another lap for a total of 10 miles. The auwie turned out to be a shallow one and not so bad.

Final problem: I got some diet Coke from Costco (two cases) and have drained like 12 cans in 3 days (EEK!) Normally I have about two cans a day. Not only is that stuff full of chemicals, but the artificial sweetness is dulling my senses and interfering with the careful monitoring that I have been doing on my hunger levels. So I’m puzzling over how to wean myself off of diet Coke. I think I shall finish off what I have and then make a big jug of peppermint tea or lemonade with a little Splenda. Then wean off the Splenda and drink my tea unsweet.

I talked to my boyfriend (??? for lack of a better term) whom I’m going to visit in D. C. He said he wants to buy a pair of rollerblades and we can skate along the river. It’s going to be so much fun!

This is a long post even for me, but I’m spending as much time here as I can because I MUST concentrate on work and won’t be back until at least Tuesday night. So I hope everyone gets the week off to a good start! Remember this is a way of life!

Much aloha,

Chris

164/158.5/130
03/26/01
Old 04-16-2001, 06:11 AM   #5  

Good Monday Morning Everyone!

I hope you all had a nice holiday if you celebrated Easter yesterday, for those of you who don't celebrate the holiday, hope your Sunday was pleasant.

So, I'd like to know from all of you who who took the weekly poll and were among those who listed that they have no idea how many grams of fiber they consume, and for those of you who know you consume too little, how you can become more aware of your intake. This will most definintely be beneficial in our efforts to lose weight in knowing this info. Any good ideas out there?

We have one birthday to recognize this week, on April 20th, it's BIGORANGE'S BIRTHDAY!!!!! Girl, how are you planning on celebrating your birthday on Friay????

Today is MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY and here's my contribution:

A CHANGE IN ATTITUDE

There is enormous power in the fact that something so all-encompassing as your attitude can be changed so quickly. Your world can be an entirely different place than the world you lived in a few moments ago when your attitude toward it changes.

The key thing to keep in mind about your attitude is that it is yours. Though anything can influence it, you control it. You have final authority over your attitude. By exercising that control, you can literally change your world.

You say there are certain things which put you in a bad mood. Yet the truth is that you put yourself in a bad mood. It is a way in which you choose to respond. What if you were to make a different choice? Those "bad mood" things would no longer have control over you, and your precious time could be used moving forward rather than feeling miserable.

You say there are things which put you in a good mood. Yet again, that is a choice you make. What if you were to choose it more often? Imagine the positive possibilities!

-- Ralph Marston

KAREN, glad to have you back safe and sound. Happy to hear you were basically able to stay OP while you were gone, not always easy to do, but the most important thing is to try

BIGO, thanks for the scale!!! Good luck on week 3 of no cigs!!!

OVERCOME, WOW, an hour on the treadmill, that's great! How fast do you set it to and do you do it on an incline. I have to give those who walk in hilly areas a lot of extra credit, we are so flat here, there is not a hill or hump to be found, so I don't get any "extras" when I walk. My goodness that is such an involved recipe Pete made, what in the world possessed him!?! I hate boiling water!!!!! Can't imagine doing something so involved-bet is was delicious!

ROSALIE, I was able to "chat" with QUILTER last night, via the AOL IM. It was choppy and I got feedback, but I guess that's how it goes. Now we have to figure out just why it didn't work between us!!!

SPARKLE, I usually don't have a problem with fiber, but some days, I just don't keep watch and hardly have any. We eat a LOT of beans in our house-I'm sure tonight hummus with be on the menu, Eli is home! Tabouli is VERY easy to make, so if you ever want to make it, just let me know. Your mushroom recipe sounds delicious-I will have to try it one day-I too love mushrooms. You will have the self control, trust me, you have it over many things already, you just need to work on the few other things-but how in the world you can obsess over shredded wheat, that I don't understand!

I have to get ready to go walk. I don't have to take Michael to school this week, so I get my walk in early. I'll check in with you all later today.

Have a wonderful week!!!!

Debbie
194/13?/129
3/22/00
Old 04-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #6  
Golfing Gal

Default Good Morning

A warm and humid Texas good morning. Hope everyones holiday was a good and safe one. I went to
my brothers for Easter lunch and had a legal meal. When I walked in there was a table of Easter candy
calling my name, but I held strong and didnt even touch it. So now I know it can be done.

Im on my way outside to get a little exercise, by mowing the front yard before it gets to hot.

I really enjoy reading all the posts, its almost like you guys are all family. I hope one day I can get
familiar with you all and answer each of you personally.

Is there anyone out there that plays golf. Can anyone help me with some conditioning exercises?
I find my back gets a little tight after a couple of swings. Ive been doing the driving range thing for
over year, and my hubbie thinks I need to actually play the game now, so Tuesday its off to play a
round of golf (9 holes). Im kinda excited!!!!!

oh well , hi ho hi ho its off to mow the lawn i go.

Have a good day....
My motivation for the day " SLOW AND EASY WINS THE RACE"
Old 04-16-2001, 10:12 AM   #7  
VR

Good Monday morning.... survived the Easter weekend, however the "bluebird of happiness" flew over my basket twice (not a good thing, you know what birds drop) - will explain when I get on the board later..... Gotta run to postoffice.. mailing taxes (have never been this late before)... it was definitely a sign that we had to pay!!!

Thinking of you all and the hurdles to get over on a holiday weekend.. or .. who won out??

Later
Old 04-16-2001, 10:40 AM   #8  

Morning Again!

Well, I was chatting with VIV and doing a post and the computer just logged me off and I lost everything, again. I can't understand how you all do things in word, it's annoying, so I once again, take my chances by doing it in my write mail program! Just have to remember to save it as I go along!

Had a great walk this morning. Got out there before 7am and even though the sun was not shining yet, I worked up quite a sweat. The new music really got me going! I got my 4.5 miles in just under 1 hour, not my best time, but still a good one, but oy, how my right tootsies hurt underneath for some reason-but hey, NO NEW BLISTERS!!!!

Eli is home safe and sound. Lucky no one at customs stopped him, as he brought some sausages and cheese home. Said the dog was right next to his luggage and sniffing. Luckily, he put the stuff between his dirty laundry so the dog probably took a whiff and ran the opposite direction! He did manage to bring me 1 chocolate bar that I had not seen before to add to my collection. It's made in France and called THURIES and is 80% Cocoa, the highest I've seen yet!!! He brought me my 222's which have a really long expiration date-2 bottles, good til 2004 & 2005, some great looking extra virgin cold pressed olive oil from Greece, 3 liters worth, and then just some odds and ends, but nothing as exciting as the chocolate!!!!

I went to the grocery store this morning and found that WHEATENA that I mentioned last week. Here's the nutritional information:

1/3 (this is dry), fat 1g/Carbs 33g/Fiber 5g/Protein 5g/Calcium 20%-the ingredients are: Toasted Crushed Wheat, Wheat Bran, Wheat Germ & Calcium Carbonate.

I decided to indulge and thought that the 1/3 cup didn't look like a lot, but trust me, this stuff is FILLING! I experimented with it, put a touch of salt,then decided to see how a little would taste with sweetener on it. In the end, I put 1/2oz of shredded cheese on it. It's really good-though if you eat slow like I do, it does tend to stiffen up quite a bit. I used less water so it was thicker, though next time I'll use the recommended amount. Next time I do think I may try it with agave nectar on it. I'm sure those of you who like using the SF maple syrup would like it on it. Anyhow, just wanted to share that find with you! Oh, I did find it at Publix, in the cereal isle, near the grits-$1.99 a box.

CATLOVER, way to go! You showed that you have good self control over that candy!! Proud of you! Have fun mowing the lawn, not something I ever do, so I give you a lot of credit!!! Sorry, I can't help you with the golf question, never understood that game

VR, I always do my taxes late, haven't ever had to pay anything and pray to G-d that I don't this year either-had no income, how can they take anything from me anyway?!?

Okay, well, I guess I am going to get a few things accomplished before I go to pick up Michael this afternoon. I'll check in with you all later today.

Please remember TOMORROW IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST Let's hope it's up and running this time!!!

Debbie
194/134/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 04-16-2001, 10:59 AM   #9  

Default Good Morning all!

It's cooler here in SW LA this morning...was 62 degrees when I got out & walked at 7:30. Did my 4 miles. I just realized this am that I exercised EVERY day last week! That is definitely a first for me!!

Yes, I was able to go to sunrise services yesterday am instead of working. It was held out in a garden area of the church surrounded by beautiful oak trees. Lovely area for such an occasion. Then I worked from 3-7pm last evening.

We went to my sister's for lunch. I did bring my wild/brown rice which I steamed & quick stir fried some zucchinni, yellow squash, bell peppers & red onions in small amount olive oil. My SIL had brought a cole slaw so I ate some of that with some of the B-B-Q'd meats, but did pass up the potaote salad, rice dressing, beans, & the cake sis made from scratch. She bakes & decorates cakes, so she's a pro...but I haven't been able to read all the posts from Sunday. Hope to finish reading those later, cause if I don't, I find that I miss out on somethings that I'd like to respond to. Sooooo, if I don't get you in this one, I will later when I finish reading.

LAMAP, Isn't it strange how we try & try, but our weight still stalls? I can relate to that too. And yes, even though I don't have an answer for it, I too had noticed in the past that sometimes eating something OFF plan caused a weight loss. I really have that tried that this time. It does get discouraging at times, but I feel that we need to hang tight & it will happen for us when the time is right. I can't wait till June, vacation time gets here. I LOVE walking along the beach in the early mornings & late afternoons while we're there. It's my favorite thing about vactioning there I believe.

FILLISE, Congrats on 5 sizes smaller...wow, that's a true success story.

CHERI, When things are not in your control, you just have to do the best you can with what you have, Hang in the & it will get better for you . Will keep you in my prayers.

SPARKLESCAMP, Sorry to hear you now have a blister. Hope it's better soon. I laughed last night as I left work cause a co-worked had 2 Cadbury eggs & I said " OOOOOOOH, Cadbury eggs" She said "Yes, have them both cause I'll just throw them away" Know what I said???? "NO THANKS" I was proud of myself. In answer to your question about breakfast, here are a few things I like. Oatmeal with 2 Tbsp SF Maple syrup (Thanks to Ashley ...her idea...it's great), slice of Ezekeil bread with almond butter or PB, Fruit smoothie (a combination of 2 or 3 of the following fruits...raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, papya & mango in blender with about 1/4 c O.J.), scrambled egg in WW tortilla roll up, 1/2c. Fiber One cereal with 1/2 c. cottage cheese & a dash of cinnamon. On work days, I eat at 6am, then have fruit about 9:30 or 10 to hold me till lunch. When I'm off, I don't have a set schedule.

RHOO, Sure hope your day went as planned & you were able to stay away from the items at lunch.

Debbie, The extra planning was well worth the effort for lunch yesterday. Yes, you sure can use shrimp in the place of crawfish in that etoufee recipe. And as far as the site, yes I noticed other recipes there that I want to try & I believe that you are the one that posted that site awhile back because they carry SB items in New Orleans...LOL Your chocolate account is just toooooo funny..

ROSALIE, Hope you had a good evening with your daughter. It's good to get away from the kids for a while, isn't it? I didn't know that AOL IM had voice chat!

BOB, So glad that you not only survived the Inspector General's visit, but actually enjoyed it too. Glad to hear that you are also surviving the Cigarette ordeal as well. Have a wonderful BD WEEK!

GATORGAL, That is how I do ALL my responses, with a WordPad window opened & viewing the board at the same time. That's the only way that it makes sense to me, then copy & paste into the reply window...LOL I also have cable connection & really do like it better than the phone modeum I had before. Thanks for the breafast idea of the homemade meusli. Since I have not had breakfast yet this am, I think I will try that with some frozen raspberries.

Well GALS, I'm off to the shower, then have to do last minute shopping for the Food Pantry Ministry that we do tomorrow. My helper is sick, so I have to get it all done today. Hope to get back on the board tonight & finishing reading for yesterday. Have a wonderful day!

Oh, motivational Monday I don't usally have one, but I had this thought on my mind this morning as I walked. If at first you don't succeed, try & try again. I know it's not an orginial, but it fits into this WOE. If it's worth doing, then keep trying till you get it right!
Old 04-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #10  
Chatroom Oldie

Well that is a first - just lost everything I typed

Well Good Morning anyway SB Gang!

Whew - so many posts - so little time!

Well it is a new day and I am back on track this morning. I have already had an apple, and then 30 minutes later I had 2 pieces of SF wheat bread with butter and cinnamon and splenda on top, and then some Dannon Light N Fit yogurt - yummy. For lunch I will have a salad with grilled chicken on top. When we grilled yesterday for lunch I made sure there were plenty of left overs for lunch this week!

Somebody asked why I "chose" to not worry about staying OP on Friday at the fish fry. Well I had just made up my mind before going that I would eat what I wanted to and not think about staying OP for one meal. Looking back now it probably was not a good idea bec it messed me up for the rest of the day. Oh well - Live & Learn! There were things there that I could have eaten and stayed OP like green salad and a beautiful fruit salad for dessert but I just didn't. I love cheesecake and I just had it.

Honestly I have been dieting most of my life and sometimes I just get so tired of staying on this or that program. Thought that for one meal I would just forget about it.

Oh well it is a new day and a new week and I am back on track.

Thanks for all the great breakfast ideas you guys!

RodeoMom how did you do this weekend? Were you able to stay on program?

Question: I've seem Almond Butter mentioned here a couple of times - was just wondering where you guys find that stuff? Is it just around the regular butter in the grocery store? It sure sounds good!

I hope everybody has a great day and a great week!

cathy
195/193/150
04-02-01

Motivational Monday: Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

Last edited by cathycathy; 04-16-2001 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:52 AM   #11  

Good Monday morning all

Just checking in to say Hi. This has to be a quick one as I have to eat lunch on time to-day as I am going to badminton at 1 o'clock. Had a good day yesterday. Went out for a steak dinner, and that was the one time when I had ONE thing off plan this weekend. Other times I stayed op but probably ate a little too much of some things. I'll try and work it off at badminton to-day. I did get in a walk yesterday. I just checked on the distance and it was 3.5Km. which was over 1Km more than my last walk. Haven't yet worked it out in miles. It was a good weekend for me, only having to cook one dinner in four days. This evening I am going to my son's in-laws for dinner.

Sparkle - Thanks for the tip about cooking the bacon ahead of time and freezing it. I think I will give it a try.

Debbie - I was reading the help files on IM and it explained how to get rid of the echo when using "talk". It said for both parties to use the headphones. If you don't use headphones the microphone picks up the voice from the speaker and relays it back. Does Quilter have AOL? I don't use AOL, only IM. I don't know why you would have a problem using a word proc. program for typing in your posts. As long as you save every couple of minutes, or after each reply that you type, you won't lose the whole thing if your computer crashes. I usually click back and forth between the two screens. I find this the easiest for reading the posts as I type replies. I am one that doesn't know how much fibre I consume; but then I don't know how much protein and carbs either unless I am posting the info on Fitday which I just do once in a while. I think I am getting enough fibre, I frequently eat beans and lentils and green veggies, also cereals and fruit. I had a good laugh at your description of you eating the chocolate also of Eli coming through customs.

Melf - Glad to hear you were able to go to the sunrise service and it sounds like you did very well food-wise, staying op. Way to go on the walking too. Congrats on managing to exercise EVERY DAY. That's great. I wish I was able to say the same. I've been slipping a bit lately with the exercises although I have managed to get in a couple of walks. I just found out about AOL voice chat after reading one of Kim's old posts. You just have to click on the sound icon at the bottom of the buddy screen to activate it.

Gotta run.

Bye.

Marie.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:28 PM   #12  
karen3000

Good Monday Morning -

Just got on the scale and it looks like I'm down 3 pounds over vacation. Hopefully that will stick or maybe even go lower by WIW!

SolShine - I, too, was diagnosed with PCOS long ago before there was much known about it. I found a lot of info at www.pcosupport.org. They have a wonderful discussion board you may want to check out.

Barbee - Wow, what an experience at the wedding. Hope you have a good, relaxing week to recover.

Quilter - I waved to you when we drove around Cincinnati on the way home.

I don't remember who from the board lives in Indiannapolis, but we came home on I-74. Didn't realize there was construction coming from the east, and screwed up on the detour. Found ourselves right downtown. Luckily, I had a road atlas with a detailed map of town and got us to 16th Ave and out of town. My husband was not too happy to be downtown, lost, at 9 p.m. We survived and kept driving to Crawfordsville. That was a long day in the car - 11 hours!

SparkleScamp - Isn't it strange how those headaches have abated since getting rid of the sugar. I never would have thought it was the cause, but I haven't had any since the middle of January. And I used to get them so that I wanted to throw up. I was starting to wonder if they were migraines, but they were never pounding headaches, just steady pain. So glad they are gone!

MargaretA - Congrats on the engagement. All the best to you both! Keep us informed on your plans - love to hear about other's wedding plans!

BOB - what can I say but WAY TO GO! You're right, concentrate on taming the cig cravings and the food will come later if necessary. Don't do anything to sabbotage the progress you've made because it would be so hard to give them up again!

Deb - don't know if I should bring this up 'cause I might not want to be reminded, but my birthday is on the 19th. I debated whether or not to mention it, but then decided, what the heck. Last year my birthday occurred while we were on vacation and my husband didn't even get me a card ('cause we were on vacation so he didn't know where to get one - AHEM!!) Then my son didn't even wish me a happy birthday. I was bummed all day, waiting for him to remember it, and I think the reason was because I go out of my way to plan things for their birthdays and make a big deal of them. (Can you tell my feelings were REALLY hurt?) But, I think it fell into the steriotypical roles of the mom who goes out of her way to keep the family humming and the rest of the family drops the ball! Oh well, hope this year will be different. Sorry that was such a long comment.

I also, humbly, think you need to do something different in your exercise routine to come out of a plateau (unless you are truly following your own pattern and lose this week). From all the literature, weight lifting/resistance is the way to go. Another thing you could try is Tae Bo. It's a great workout as long as you are careful not to overextend your elbows and knees.

Now that I'm back in the swing of things, I hope to reply more individually. This board is so busy, but I'll try. Welcome to all the newbies - you came to the right spot!

Have a great SB day!

Karen
207/187/?
since 1/23/01

Old 04-16-2001, 01:29 PM   #13  

Default It's Monday, so I must be Motivated.

Hi, sleepy and tired...that's me. I'm glad I don't have to go to work today. I had a great trip to New Orleans, except for my insanity in eating everything in sight. I may be a little TOO laid back with this SB stuff. My son and his GF took me to Vaquero's for Easter brunch, and they had all kinds of southwestern goodies. Including roast baby goat...sounds icky but was actually pretty good. The chips and salsa, the breakfast breads, the desserts, I was delirious with insulin before it was over!

I haven't read anything except today's posts, so here are a few responses:

SPARKLE: I, too, am hooked on diet Coke. I think it's the caffeine. It's a recent thing, though, and I don't understand why I have fallen into that trap.
I also have a hard time sitting still for long periods, but thankfully I don't have to. As a teacher, I am on the move constantly, and at home there is plenty to do without having to sit around too much.

DEB: Okay, I will definitely CHOOSE to have a good attitude. You are right, we can't depend on others to get us motivated. Also, I've been AFK a lot, so where did Eli go?

CATLOVER: Good for you, golf! I took that as a PE course in college, then never really played after that. It is almost too hot in the summer, so now is a good time to get started.

VR: If you're getting your taxes mailed this early, I think you are doing great. I have had to file extensions in the past, so I am just happy to get mine done at all.

MELF: Glad it's cooler there. I nearly died when I got out of the car in New Orleans. You wouldn't think there would be such a difference in that end of the state. It's very nice here today.

CATHYCATHY: I feel the same as you about going off plan...I could have had omelet and salad and been really happy, but I didn't. I'm not worrying about it today though. Also, I think the almond butter is like peanut butter, but made of almonds. I would recommend making your own, it's quite expensive.

ROSALIE: Where do you play badminton? Do people have courts at their homes, or is it in a club? We don't have that here, although I have played before and it's a lot of fun. Much better than tennis IMHO.

KAREN: THanks for your good wishes on the upcoming marriage. We have been apart for the long weekend, as he visited his son in Kentucky and I visited mine in New Orleans. We are thankful that from now on, we will be visiting them all together. He has WONDERFUL children, all grown thankfully. Congratulations on losing weight over a holiday...you are very disciplined obviously!

BOB: How great to celebrate your birthday with no cigarettes! In case I don't get back on here, Happy Birthday in advance!

I've been missing reading all the posts. If I seem to be skipping people in my replies, it's because I just looked at todays posts that were done before I got here. For everyone else, I do love reading yours. But this takes a lot of time, and I"VE GOT TO GO MAKE BREAD!!! That's my new favorite thing to do, and I must get started. I cannot think of a single motivational thing to say, unless it's just to remember that we are heading toward the summer ON PLAN. Whether we look the way we want to or not, we are doing something about our attitudes and our HEALTH.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:35 PM   #14  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING LADIES

Gee I'm glad things are back to normal, What ever that is My Life is never boring.

I haven't had a chance to go back and read all the post and I really don't seem to find the time to do so, so I'll go on from here. I hae found there were a few things I should have posted Yesterday and forgot. so here goes.

Bee: A very very Happy Belated Birthday to you. I really hope it was great. Us Aries usually know how to have a good birthday. Just think your just one day more beautiful.

Hall: Please forgive me for not welcoming you sooner, I really want to throw out the welcome mat, this is a great board and these are a great group of gals with alot of support to give.

Melf: Wow isn't it a wonderful age to be at. I keep telling my daughter that she should wish she was born when I was, things were alot easier then , It's a different world now. Alot more complicated and mixed up.

Ann: hey girl how you doing, Sorry it's been awhile sence I've been able to get on and write to everyone. This last wk was a joy, and the pits at the same time, there were partys and deaths all rolled up in the same wk. It's hard to be happy and greive at the same time.
Hope your wk went better.

Deb: As for the bigger and better things the way I look at it is, Smaller and better things. I'm just funning you.
Hey sounds like you have an awful lot of chocolate there maybe too much for one, don' ya think : You enjoy every bite I know I would.

Bob: congrates on the weight loss your doing marvelous, I only hope your not as big a crab my hubby was when he quit, Me however I was a dream when I quick now if you believe that I have some lake front property to sell you.

Well I need to make this short, I had no sleep last night, hubby went back towork today, for the first time in 2wks an I woke every hr to look at the clock. Finally gave up and got up at 3am. Man I'm dead tired.

Gotta go love to all Glory
Old 04-16-2001, 02:16 PM   #15  

Hello Again:

Just a quickie, I was just posting my Bio when I noticed that Karen also has a Birthday this wk hers is on the 19, So Deb lets no forget Karen in our birthday wishes. you go girl. Have a great one both you and BOB love to all Glory
Closed Thread