Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: HOW MANY TIMES, ON AVERAGE, DO YOU FIND YOURSELF EATING FOODS THAT ARE "OFF PLAN?"
NEVER 3 9.38%
1-2 TIMES A WEEK 15 46.88%
3-5 TIMES A WEEK 11 34.38%
DAILY 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 08:44 PM   #46  
karen3000

Hi SBers:

Here's my Tuesday tip from the Real Age web site:

Milk is not your only ally in the battle for better bones. A glass of fluoridated tap water may offer benefits, too.
According to recent studies, regularly drinking tap water that has been treated with fluoride can help increase bone mineral density and may protect against breakage. Maintaining your bone density as you age helps to prevent osteoporosis.

Keep drinking

Karen

Old 03-20-2001, 09:09 PM   #47  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default NITE NITE

Well Ladies, I've been off lurking in places unknown and have come back to wish everyone a good nights sleep!

Chris: I've discovered that the attachment I wanted to put on for you is on my computer at work! I'll keep trying, but if I don't succeed, I'll search for it and send it from home.

BEACH: SNOW? I thought the 58 degrees that we have here tonight was cold! Sounds to me like someone
got BEAR BRYANT riled up (wherever he might be) and he's taking his frustrations out on you AUBURN people! BUNDLE UP AND STAY WARM you don't want to get sick again!

ANNETTE: Keep that chin up girl! Everyone has their bad days...Don't let Barb see you say you cheated! You'll get it good from her! HI BARBIE, I KNOW YOU'RE LURKING OUT THERE
Wipe that grease off those hands and climb back up on that wagon! I'm here for you.....WE ALL ARE

NITE NITE
BOB
Old 03-20-2001, 09:28 PM   #48  

Hello fellow losers!

I did it again. I walked 2 miles today. My back aches, my right foot hurts, but I did it and I'll do it again tomorrow. I am so psyched up about exercising and losing weight I am just

Tomorrow is WIW. I hope we all can report losses.

Everyone have a great evening and for those who are feeling depressed, cheer up, you have all of us we love you!

Cheri
287/273.5/145
Old 03-20-2001, 09:44 PM   #49  

Default A late evening post . . . not too slow, eh?

Hi Gals! Well, I hope you all had a super terrific Tuesday. Mine went pretty smoothly. I finally got the courage to step on the scale. The needle was teetering between 179 and 180. That was disappointing, but it was after I ate breakfast AND my hair was wet. You do think that wet hair weighs more than dry hair, right???? Anyways, I’ve decided to go the “Debbie Route” and start weighing every morning. Years ago I read that Carbohydrate Addicts Book and they suggested weighing every day and doing a weekly average. That sounded like a good idea. However, I will still give my true WIW weigh in tomorrow. The average will be for my own personal sanity.

DEB---What kind of jelly do you use on your PB&J? I have not even thought about jelly since starting SB. I thought you couldn’t eat fruit with anything else and I guess I just thought that since jelly is made from fruit it would be considered a fruit. But since you mentioned it, I’ve been thinking how good that sounds. I sure do hope these unsweetened carob chips are legal. I really like them and they really hit the spot for a little something sweet. Next time I’m at WO I’ll check the label on the bulk bin. And 133.5 . . . all I have to say is YOU RULE!!!!! That is so great! How happy were you when you saw that you were down another half??? Did you do the happy dance?

MELF---Congrats on staying strong and not giving into the temptation to NOT walk. You had to have been so proud of yourself. Way to go!!!! You are inspiring me to go get on that TM again! Also I loved the Friendship is Contagious image.

KAREN---Am eager to hear what you learned from the articles on Insulin. Please share.

BLOND---Thanks for the motivational thoughts. I love imagining all the possibilities that are just “brewing” beneath the surface for each of us. Thanks so much for putting that into your post. Awesome!!!!! Also really appreciated your tip today about not buying the carton of ice cream. I never have ice cream for that reason. Too afraid of having it calling to me from the freezer. But I think your idea sounds like a good one. Where do you go and what kind do you get. I know nothing about sf ice cream because I’ve tried to distance myself from it.

RHROO---Hey, gal!!! For the life of me, I’m sitting here trying to imagine somebody telling me that I don’t have any butt left. And quite frankly . . . I can’t even get it into the scope of my thinking. Good for you. That must have made you feel great.

VIV---It was good to see your post. I know the vacation will be great and I will say all sorts of prayers and good thoughts for your dad. I like your idea about printing out the thread. So smart. And congrats on the 10 pounds. That’s great!!! Two 5-pound bags of sugar (or flour or whatever) are gone from your body. I learned in WW to visualize your loss. You could also visualize it as 40 sticks of butter. Now that’s impressive!!! If I don’t talk to you, have fun on the trip. Let us know as soon as you hear something about your dad.

FILLISE---So sorry to hear about the flakes this morning. Truly not the way anyone wants to usher in spring. Especially you southerners. That’s really stinky!!

CHERI---Your story about your friend just blew me away. She’s living, WALKING proof that our health is all about what we nourish our body with. How great for her. She is probably really enjoying life more now since she was out of commission and not able to do anything. Thanks for telling us about her.

ROSALIE---It’s always good to read your posts. I draw so much inspiration from you. Since we both have the Leslie Sansone tapes I feel a kindred spirit with you. Glad your painting is finished. That has to be a good feeling. What’s the next big project???? Coming to my house and helping me????? The trouble is I have so many rooms to do, I don’t know where to start.

DEBSTAHL---Do you know my fair city? If so, how? Have you ever been down here? Do you know people who live here? We live in a section called Mt. Airy. It’s just about 10-13 minutes from downtown. It’s on the west side of town. The east side is the posh “in” place to live, but I’m not into that sort of impressing everybody thing, so we’re happy to stay right here. We both work downtown and it’s an easy drive in. I knew we had things in common. I LOVE TEACHERS . . . even when they are on hiatus. It’s the BEST profession there is with the most important stakes. Pity none of you are paid what you so greatly deserve. Don’t get me started on that. Ha!

STARCHASER---That’s so cool about your ministry. I’ll bet you really love it. Keep going on those walks. They will seem shorter and shorter the more you go. And as far as the hamburger goes . . . if you don’t feel any guilt, then don’t feel guilty. (Wasn’t that wise?????) It sounds like you know what to do and what to eat. Sometimes I think it’s better to take care of a craving right at first because I’ve been known to build a craving up so big that it needs its own zip code. Then I binge like crazy. Of course, I haven’t really done that on SB because I think the cravings are so much weaker than before. They just don’t have a lot of ooompf for me. Easier to ignore that way.

VR---I loved hearing what all you bought at TJs. I can’t wait to hit the one in Indy with CHERI. But I had to laugh, because that was probably pure torture for DEB and ORANGE. They’ve got it BAD for TJ and can’t get to one anytime soon. Is yours right where you live? Also loved hearing about your new little house buddy. She sounds sweet. I’ll bet she’s soft and soft can be. Why are ferrets illegal in CA? I’ve never heard that one. Seems a bit discriminatory to me.

BOB---I could never understand why you have two sign ins. Can’t you just sign in as BOB where ever you are. I check the board from all sorts of different computers, not just my home one. Have you tried logging in under the normal name? I feel like I’m just being very dumb here and that there is an obvious reason why you need to do it. Please enlighten me. Anyways, hope you get it figured out soon. Sucks to have a disobedient computer. Next time you see Ann tell her I said hi. Paul is going to scan the pictures of our get together tomorrow and then I’ll email them to you and Deb. I don’t know how to attach. Wait a minute . . . I’ll bet I can do it. Give me a couple of days . . . I may just be able to master it. BTW . . . that really is Miss Maddie in my avatar. Isn’t she beautiful? I wish you could see her in person. She doesn’t look like a 9-year old dog. I guess all that expensive dog food is paying off.

SPARKLE---What you said about OA was very interesting? Are there chapters all over the country? How do you get involved? I’ve always suspected a little bit of sabotaging on my part, but couldn’t put my finger on the why. Let me know more. If you’d rather, email me about it. I’d love to hear more. I loved your story about your mom. I come from a long line of “true happiness comes from stuffing yourself or those you love”. I could so relate. I did have to laugh at the tomato. Good one.

JAN---Congrats on being so close to goal. What a way to celebrate 40. I have to say that I’ve been happier in my 40’s than any other period of my life. I think being 40 and at your goal weight would be so wonderful. You’d have to pry me off the ceiling I’d be flying so high. I’m pulling for you, girl. You’ll make it.

BEACH--Sorry to hear about your weather. Springtime slush is worse than winter slush . . . because it’s so unnecessary. Right? Your tip is good and work printing out and hanging on the bathroom mirror. Thanks bunches.

ANNETTE---Consider yourself “prayed for”. I will keep you in my thoughts and really pull for you to see a loss soon. Of course, after the Chili’s incident, we may have a wait a couple of days, right??? But you’ll get there soon. Keep the faith. If it makes you feel less lonely, I gained four pounds over vacation and now have my loss total at a whopping 5 pounds. That’s not too impressive for two months work. But I’m still going to kerep with it. And do the best job I can at staying on program. Hang in there with me. We’ll creep down those scales together. Okay? Speaking for myself, I am neither sick nor tired of you. The board is for good times and bad times. The next time you need to vent, come here first before the trip to Chili’s. Maybe we can put up a mental & emotional roadblock for you.

BUNNY---I sure don’t envy your sticky kitchen mess. That would have made me cuss . . . no doubt about it. I love QVC. Watch it every morning while getting ready for work. Didn’t see any sterling on this morning, but your morning would have meant the middle of my workday. Hope you enjoy your purchases. I haven’t bought any jewelry from there. But I have to tell you that the Diamonique is certainly tempting me. It looks really nice on the screen . . . just wondering how it holds up to real life examination.

Okay, I am not a basketball fan (please still be my friends) and I don’t have ANYTHING to add about the playoffs. But I can tell you one thing for sure. UK fans (and there are A HEAPING BUNCH around here) are not one bit please that Pitino might be going to Louisville. Not even two hours from the sacred grounds of Rupp Arena and Wildcats everywhere. Whew!!!! I’ve heard that some are in total shock and disbelief. This will be the only mention from me about any college sports.

Good night all. Think I'll go soak my aching bones and read for a bit.
Kim
185/180/139
Old 03-20-2001, 09:49 PM   #50  

Default Good Evening

Hi Everyone!
It's been mighty chilly here for the first day of spring, but a beautiful day none the less. Had a busy day today. I've been involved in a food pantry ministry for the past 6 years. We do this once a month. Today we had 30 families to come for food. It sure is a rewarding thing to minister to them. Some are like my grandmother. I miss them, worry about them, & have to hug their necks when they come.

Anyway, I didn't get home till late & didn't get a chance to walk, so I'm dissapointed about that. I did drive the distance of my walk yesterday & found that it was 3.3 miles. WOW! I was excited that I had actually walked that far.

Well, this is short, but got to go iron a uniform for tomorrow. Got 12 hr shifts the next 2 days. I'll be glad to see DST get here on April 1st, cause then it will still be light when I get home at 7:30 & I'll be able to walk!

Sorry I can't respond to any posts tonight...Hope to do that later. Good luck on WIW, hope there are lots of losers!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 10:02 PM   #51  
Little Engine That Could

Annette, I would suggest that you look at yourself through the eyes of your Creator. He is the One that gives you dignity and worth, and according to scripture, you are worth everything to Him!! Try Ps. 103 or 139 when you are feeling down and worthless. The higher power, who I call God, doesn't grade based on what you weigh or what you look like. He "grades" on your heart and in what you trust. So, gal, smile because someone really loves you.

Marie--How have you been doing lately? I've been thinking about you and changes in your life.

Sparkle--I agree with you about Debelli's walking. I can hardly imagine walking that fast. When I was running I was doing 10 min. miles, and I think Deb walks that fast. I can't figure it, either. Her legs are not very long. I get tired just thinking about it.

Star--It sounds like you have a healthy attitude about the burger. So often we beat ourselves up over just a normal bit of food. You aren't gonna die over eating a hamburger, for heaven's sake. And you are choosing to get on plan with your next meal choice. So good for you with a good attitude. BTW, what kind of work do you do, specifically?

DebStahl--We had our cat declawed on its front paws last month. We went out of town for a week and just took him in the day before we left and picked him up when we got back. So I only had to fiddle with the torn newspaper bit for a couple of days. He had never been left at the vets before and acted really clingy after he got back. He is an indoor/outdoor cat, and sleeps outdoors at night except when it is really cold. We got new furniture and was tired of the damage he did on our old leather couch!

VR--We used to live in San Francisco 36 years ago, the first year of our marriage. It was a great town to live in as a young couple. We were dirt poor but SF has so many things to do that are free. A wonderful place. We still visit there occasionally.

Big Orange--Hope you get the computer-SB board thing to work at your office. I miss your "BOBAW" byline.

Fillise and Beach Fan--It's hard to imagine snow in Ala. It sounds incompatible. Be patient. Spring comes tomorrow so it should get warm soon.

Gotta go, my DH just got home and we want to spend a little time visiting. We've both been having meetings almost every night, and are like two ships passing in the night. So we're gonna visit.

Here's a picture of me, still walking. I couldn't find one of me biking, but that is the exercise that I'm planning to do tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:08 PM   #52  
Little Engine That Could

Default Oops!

!
Old 03-20-2001, 10:15 PM   #53  

Default wow

I am amazed at the amount of posts on here!! Holy Moly!! I'll never be able to respond to everyone!!

First...I brought my own WW pasta to my friends for dinner. PETE MADE IT FROM SCRATCH FOR ME!!! Is he sweet or what? He met me there for dinner. He was coming from home, I was coming from work so I asked him to bring some WW pasta. Of course I was referring to the box of WW pasta and he went ahead and made it from scratch!! It was wonderful. So light and airy. We froze the rest for another time.

Now my secret is out! I was laying low with this WOE b/c I didn't want to draw attention to myself. Well, the hostess, my very good friend and colleague, is really interested in this WOE. You all are probably thinking, great, turn her on to SB. I feel very self conscious about the whole thing. Oh well, we'll see.

Someone mentioned white whole wheat flour. Guess who makes it?? Hodgson Mills of course. Here's what I found...

"White wheat has been around for centuries and has been the mainstay crop for regions like Australia and Eastern Europe. In the western part of the world red wheats dominate. While its name is White Wheat, this wonderful wheat kernel is actually tan in color and produces a milder, sweeter tasting flour than red wheat. Try our new Whole Wheat White Flour in all recipes that call for whole wheat flour. Just substitute our White Wheat Flour in the same proportion."

$3.00 for 5 lbs.

I also found UNBLEACHED White flour from them...

"Unbleached and unenriched - a combination hard to find in an all-purpose white flour. Hodgson Mill Unbleached White Flour is made by removing the bran and the germ, leaving a naturally white flour consisting mainly of the endosperm (inner portion of the wheat kernel). We never use bleaching agents or any other chemical in the milling or packaging process. Use in place of any all-purpose flour. This flour is particularly popular for people on iron-restricted diets."

Deb...what do you think of the above. Legal or not? I;m assuming not, but I think it is interesting.

Quilter...you get a gold star for responding to everyone Hopefully I can do the same SOMETIME this week.

Goodnight!
Ashley
Old 03-20-2001, 10:53 PM   #54  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default MY TURN, FINALLY!!!!

Wow, I finally get to have my turn on the computer. Didn't get home til almost 9pm from a full day out, only to find Michael on the computer, then Lauren needed it and now it's my turn.

It's great to see the board so busy today-you gals are going to keep me busy tomorrow getting in all my replies to everyone, just no energy to do so tonight-hope you understand-it's almost 11pm!

Just a quick reminder, tomorrow is WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY and I hope and pray the scales are kind to us all tomorrow.

I'll be back on sometime tomorrow, not sure how my day is looking, so I can't commit to morning or afternoon, but you can be sure, I'll be on this board at somepoint-if not, that means only 1 of 2 things, my computer crashed or I'm dead!

See you all tomorrow!!

NITE!

Debbie
194/133.5/129
Miami, FL

Last edited by Debelli; 03-20-2001 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:51 AM   #55  

Just a quick late night post! Everyone is sooooo busy posting such nice long posts!! very motivating!
Viv i totally forgot to tell ya that i was thinking of you and your dad-what a helpless feeling he should be thankful for such a great daughter. I also thought of you when i bought some more chocolate-on sale again do ya need some ? ((hugs)) to you too!
Deb-133.5 wooooooooooooo hoooooooooo I hope i get to weigh tomorrow after my walk and before i take hubby to luch for his bday!!! I am not expecting anything short of a miracle! but the past two days i have been great! thats as good as a loss for me. I feel in control-again!
Ldblond-great tip about going out for your treats! I can go overboard with a half gallon of sugar free icecream! I saw somewhere when someone wanted a candy bar they make themselves walk to the store to get it!
All you excersises out there sound like your doing awsome! i am very proud of you. Excersise is a big part of this i think.
Debsthal-cheer up!!!!! hope tomorrow is better for you!
Star- Big wooooooo hoooooo on the walk -keep it up it is addicting and soooooooooo good for you-watch those inches fall off!
Jancan-you can do it it sounds like a reasonable goal!!!! good luck!!!!
Annette-we are here for you girl!!!! you can do this!!!!! way to go on the weights- i have started twice a week and i think i am developing a tiny bicept!
Quitler-you go girl on that excersise! I get my jelly at Trader joes or in the supermarket i get the 100% fruit. I would feel great about the no butt comment if everyone would stop attacking the way my body looks! Latley no one can just say i look good they have to comment on this or that! I do it to myself good enough i don't need them. My mom did it tonight she looked at me shook her head and whined cuz she can't do it "you look soooo good-your butts is flat!?" whats up with that? why are people looking at my butt! LOL then she goes on about how thin my face is!!! its to funny i should write a book about these comments! I really think getting rid of sugar in my body and excersise has made me lose in places i normally wouldn't! does that make sense?????
well gotta go to bed night everyone good luck tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 06:26 AM   #56  

Default Hooray

Good morning all

Good news this morning. I am down to 203 pounds - 2 pounds less than the last time I posted for WIW. That's 2 pounds in three weeks!

Off to work again this morning. Hope to have time to read more of the posts either this evening or tomorrow.
Plan to go for badminton this evening if I am not too pooped.

Marie.
235/203/190
Old 03-21-2001, 07:17 AM   #57  

Default Mornin' everyone!

HEY ROSALIE---I'm giving you a big old YEEHAW AND a YIPPEE tacked on for good measure. That's great that you lost 2 pounds. You are so close to a huge breakthrough. Think how awesome it will be in a few weeks when you cross over into the 190's. That's a perfect short-term goal!!!! HOW SWEET IT IS, HOW SWEET IT IS!!!

As for my weigh in, here's the deal. You be the judge. I am down FOUR POUNDS from my weigh in of yesterday. How can that be??? Was my wet hair really that heavy? Anyways, that means I'm back to 176 which I was already at a few weeks ago. Since this is a re-loss, does it still count as a loss for the WIW board? Not quite sure. I am definitely counting it as a loss for me, but just not sure about being official.

That's it. Gotta skeedaddle and get ready for work.
If I listen real close, I can hear the sound of your scales moving in the RIGHT direction! Have a GREAT day!!! Be back tonight.
Kim
Old 03-21-2001, 08:51 AM   #58  

Default WIW

Good morning, everyone!!

After my illness-induced 4 pound loss, I've come back up a bit. I'm now at 161, which is actually a 7 pound loss since restarting SB last Monday!! That definitely makes me happy!!

I finally came up with a lunch meal that's SB-legal (that was my hardest meal, for some reason!). I'm using the Toufoyan whole wheat pita (1/2 piece), thinly sliced oven-roasted chicken and a pinch of shredded Mozzarella with deli-style mustard. I throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and YUM!! Pretty simply, I know, but it makes my tummy happy!! I'm making my SB-legal chili tonight for dinner -- it is SO good. I will have to post the recipe tomorrow.

STAR: As long as you are OK with it (and don't make a habit of it!), I wouldn't sweat about your burger. I think sometimes you've got to give a little, or else you'll go WAY overboard and gorge one day!! Great job with the exercizing -- you've really hit a groove now that you're looking forward to your walks!

SPARKLE: Your post about compulsive feeders is so true...I had a friend I used to live near, and she ALWAYS was making little "treats" for me. My sister also has tendencies to want to feed -- can definitely make things difficult! Good luck with the no smoking -- you can do it!!

ANNETTE: I know exactly what you are going through...it's the same thing I did and ended up totally falling off the wagon. That was 8 months ago, and I am back with SB. When I think about all the weight I could have lost had I stayed true...UGH! Just dust yourself off from this setback, and realize that you CAN lose this weight! Like I've seen others post, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!"

QUILTER: YES...Cincinnati is my hometown!! I actually grew up in Montgomery, and my 2 brothers and parents still live in the area. I moved away in 1994 (after marrying my husband), but we come back at least once a year. In fact, we're coming up there in June to visit everyone before we head back overseas! I can definitely agree with you about the whole teacher pay issue! I'm actually express mailing my application today
to the Department of Defense...hoping to get hired on by them for next school year in Guam. It's been 4 years since I've been in the classroom -- I'm a little anxious! And I would definitely count your weight loss...you counted it when you went back up, right? Yippee for you!!

GATOR: Our vet actually bandaged Abby's 2 paws, and they actually stayed on until yesterday, so I never had to fool with the cut-up newspaper. She got them off yesterday, and everything seems fine! She's just an indoor cat...although I'm flying her to Guam in 3 weeks to begin her 4-MONTH quarantine there. She'll be in an outdoor kennel...it just breaks my heart that she has to go through it, but I can't imagine not having her there with us!

DEBELLI: Guess what! I actually found a HFS near me!! It was really hidden in a tiny little strip mall WAY off the beaten path...I'm hoping to stop in there sometime this week (w/out kids!).

ROSALIE: YEA on your 2 pound loss! That's fantastic!!

Well, the kids are getting restless...best go feed them some breakfast!!

Have a great day!!

Deb
168/161/<130
Old 03-21-2001, 09:10 AM   #59  
karen3000

Boy, it's early in the morning and we already have some great losses reported. Way to go guys! I'm down a pound, but I'm getting those twinges for TOM, so the hormones are probably jumping around right now. I never know for sure when these things are going to happen so. . . . Happy to see that there are losses to report and I know we will see more today!

I'm really trying to be a straight arrow now before we go on vacation to get rid of as much of this excess baggage, I mean fat, as possible.

Quilter - I'll try to put some high points on the board from the insulin article. I think because it's a year old, some of the information has been further researched. From what I've read so far, it's not an endorsement for SB or the Zone way of life. I hope to post about it tomorrow night.

Have a great SB day, everyone!

Karen
207/193/?

Old 03-21-2001, 09:28 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

MELF - congrats on your go get'em attitude. we all need to push outselves sometimes. I walk out the front door at lunch yesterday and just started walking towards the river. It felt good to walk...then I decided that I better turn around before I got too far away and would have to take a taxi back to work...hehehehe

QUILTER - you will have those cutie capri's on real soon..... I have not been able to find a decent pair yet. Some are cut real funny.

FROGLOVER - Today is my skinny day in pants....hehehe I think it is really after wearing my jeans a couple of times before washing I just stretch them out to accomodate for the fat...hehehe

VIV - I must have missed the earlier post about what is going on with you....BUT HANG IN THERE!!!

Happy Hump Day Everyone!!!
Closed Thread