Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: WHICH DO YOU FEEL IS THE HARDEST TO FIND THINGS TO EAT ON SB?
BREAKFAST 5 21.74%
LUNCH 5 21.74%
DINNER 3 13.04%
SNACKS 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #91  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

YO...DEB
I have progressive lenses and I LOVE THEM....It take a while to get used to them...I tried to take mine back several times, but now I'm thankful that the optician wouldn't let me do it.
REMEMBER....move your head and not your eyes...sounds strange, but it works...I felt like everything was enlongated..especially from the side.
The middle thingy is what I use for the computer...it's the least magnified of the three.
Once you get used to them, you can use your eyes to motivate.
AS FOR TRAVEL.....I would love to come, but found out today that I'm actually poorer than I ever thought.... I've decided to
cut up ALL MY CREDIT CARDS and try to make myself use money.....money that I don't have!
I'll email you later and explain....don't want to bore everyone else!
We're supposed to get the rain too.
BB4 was good last night....everyone WHINNING!!!! Especially Nathan.....can't wait for tonight!
BOB
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation Quick! I need research help!

I'm writing to Good Housekeeping. (thanks, everyone, for helping me decide.)

WHERE in the New SB book does it say why they changed the thing about carrots?

It seems to me I read that some critic said that carrots are like 90% water, and should therefore be allowed, so they amended that in the new book.

I've looked in the index, and it is no help.

Can anyone help me search?

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 08-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #93  

Grovia...do you remember the post I did from Readers Digest about their article on the GI. You may want to cite some of the info from there. Oh and I can't help you on the carrots. Rosalie is the one that told me they are now ok and she is on vacation. Deb may know.

Bashful...I take Citrucel Fiber Pills. There is no excess gas and since I've been taking them I've reduced my incidences of IBS. Try them. You take 2 each morning with a full glass of water.

Kim...A friend of mine just told me that on WW they will do away with banking points and you will have 35 each week to do what you want. I will probably chose to just divide that up and have some each day. I can't imagine eating an extra 35 on one day!!! Even though it would be legal I would still feel bad! I think also they will lower the target points..
Old 08-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation My response to GH

This is the "finished" product. Please help me edit.

let me know what you think, what I should add or delete, if I have anything wrong... you get the gist.

I think my conclusion is weak (i suck at concluding sentences).

----------------------------------------------

IN DEFENSE OF SUGARBUSTERS

I was appalled when I read Jim Karas’s article on fad diets in the Sept. 2003 issue. In particular, I found various false claims in relation to Sugar Busters.

Firstly, it is insinuated by Mr. Karas in his final paragraph of the article that Sugar Busters is anti-carbs. (His statement is, “Currently, it’s in vogue to be anti-carbs.”)

Allow me to correct him: Sugar Busters is not anti-carbs, nor is it low-carbs; it is low-sugar, which is quite different. Whole grains are encouraged on Sugar Busters. In fact, the authors recommend 40 percent of the day’s calories come from high fiber, low-glycemic carbohydrates.

To simplify: don’t eat white bread (which contains no nutrients) but instead choose a stone-ground whole wheat bread that is high in fiber. (My favorite bread, which is perfectly allowable on Sugar Busters, contains 15g carbs and 2g sugars.) Don’t eat sugar-laden breakfast cereals, but instead choose shredded wheat, oatmeal, or other cereals that are high fiber, low sugar. (Two different cereals in my pantry have 22g carbs and 38g carbs, but each only has 1g sugars.)

Secondly, it seems that Mr. Karas is basing his entire opinion on one book review in the Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter, which falsely claims that Sugar Busters implies that sugar is the cause of diabetes and heart disease.

I strongly suggest that Mr. Karas actually read the book himself, instead of relying on the opinions of others. In doing so, he would see that Sugar Busters contends that OBESITY is the cause of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, kidney failure, arthritis, depression, and a myriad of other health ailments. The book’s premise is that REFINED SUGAR is the major cause of obesity. Thus, by eliminating harmful sugars from one’s diet, the risk of obesity is significantly lowered, thereby also lowering the risk for other fatal diseases.

Finally, Mr. Karas attempts to strengthen his arguments about these so-called “fad diets” by bringing up the issue of the calorie. His claim is that knowing how many calories you’re taking in and putting out is the “timelessly fashionable key to getting slim.”

Let’s think about this. You could drink 1 cup of soda (i.e., Pepsi) at 100 calories, OR you could drink 1 cup of 1% milk at 105 calories.

According to Mr. Karas’s timelessly fashionable weight loss plan, you should drink the soda because it has fewer calories. Never mind that it is pure sugar. Never mind the nutritional value of the alternative.

Nutritionally, Sugar Busters makes sense. It is easy to follow and there are no negatives about this way of eating.

It is personally upsetting that Sugar Busters is misrepresented in a major magazine, such as Good Housekeeping. The attitude supported by your magazine creates doubt in the lives of those who are sincerely putting forth the effort to lose weight with this plan. It creates feelings of failure, as if it is a waste of time to try to be healthier. If you truly wish to help readers with weight loss success, please do some genuine research.

Kelly Gerstenberg
Alexandria, VA
Old 08-13-2003, 10:43 PM   #95  

Good evening everyone! I just got back home a little while ago from my dinner and boy was it wonderful. I ate like a pig - 6 plates of crab legs (2 clusters per plate), 1 bowl of steamed shrimp, (and now for the no-no's) 1 small plate of fried oysters, 2 deviled crabs, and about 12 small fried shrimp. I did have some cocktail sause but not alot. I guess the scales will tell me if I over did it. But I don't feel over full so hopefully that is a good sign! I did NOT however have any dessert and I ate light all day until tonight. My hubby also sent me roses today, the first time in about 2 years, it was so sweet! It's time to put my little one to bed so I'll talk to everyone later.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #96  

Good morning everyone,
had a productive workout last night, did the strength training circuit, which seemed just a bit hard last night, I think I need to start doing the circuit 3x a week again, instead of 2x. Also did over 2miles on the elliptical trainer. Tonight I'll walk on the treadmill at home probably. Stayed OP yesterday with no problems. Shouldn't be a big deal today either, bringing my lunch always helps. Either steak or shrimp tonight w/ salad for dinner.
The husband is directing a play at the local community theater, so he's at rehearsal tonight. I should be able to get a lot of stuff done around the house, especially since the kids are still away at Grandma's house until next week.
I have a feeling I've plateau-ed, and will need a kick start to get the weight loss moving again.
I need to starighten up the deck and sweep it off tonight too. With all the rain, it's been somewhat neglected.
Hope that everyone has a great day...

Barbara
270/238.5/135
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #97  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning All

Woke up to rain - gloomy & dark here, but hey, to me it's better than swealtering heat and humidity any day. Just hate to have to go out in it so will look for a lull as I have to go pay my MC bill today before 1pm - nothing like the last minute!

DID YOU ALL CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE I POSTED THE OTHER DAY? If you missed it, here it is again - do check it out. I just printed it out after viewing it as a PDF which made it easier to read. Here's the link, just click on it:

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...=en&lr=lang_ar|lang_en|lang_fr&ie=UTF-8

If you want to view the PDF file, there's a link at the very top of the page which lets you do so.

Watch the movie 8 MILE last night, got it from the library - thought it was very good, was even impressed with M&M's acting - can't say I like him or the rap stuff, but the movie was good. I have two movies that are being held that I need to p/u - did anyone see FARWELL MY CONCUBINE or THE FAST RUNNER? Have so many on hold and more to add once a slot becomes available. I've saved a ton of money renting them through the library and they are getting more and more each week.

PANCHO, hope your little one allows you to get to the gym today. To have six kids these days, I think you have to be a not only well off, but a bit insane. I have a friend who has 8 kids, though she wanted 10. Just saw a bit on TV about a mom who had 9 and how great she looked and would consider 10 (or more). Not me I wanted 2, a boy and a girl and got them both, in that order - good kids to boot - why mess it up

GRAMMY, do check out the link I posted above for a listing of starchy carbs - it can answer your question easily Many people say to limit your starchy carbs to 2-3 a day, but I don't totally agree with this idea - I think those who have a lot of weight to lose and need to eat more calories than someone who is following a 1200 calorie "diet" need more, otherwise, it would be difficult to find foods to fill the caloric requirements. What's important are what types of starchy carbs you fill it with. Also, I posted this article back in February and it may help to provide some more information to you:

CARB COUNTING MADE EASY

What are carbohydrates? Carbohydrates are one of three primary substances in the foods that we eat, which also includes protein and fat. They are also the substances which turn 100 % into glucose in the bloodstream. They include all sugars and starches in the diet. In fact, carbohydrates are actually either simple sugars or complex sugar molecules, such as starches.

In a balanced diet, carbohydrates will be included, and are necessary for both energy and good health. But for the diabetic, learning to measure the amount of carbohydrate in the diet can be a useful tool in learning to control blood sugars.

How do you measure carbohydrates? First, it is important to look at how many choices have been prescribed by your dietitian. One carbohydrate choice is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate. The dietitian will give a certain number of carbohydrate choices per meal. In the meal plan, a person might have, for example, 3 carbohydrate choices (45 grams total) for each meal, and one choice ( 15 grams) at night for a bedtime snack.

The carb allowance might look like this:

Breakfast: 45 grams carb

Lunch: 45 grams carb

Dinner: 45 grams carb

Bedtime: 15 grams carb

The person will choose their choices from a list of carbohydrates, remembering that one choice is 15 grams. The carbohydrate groups on the food pyramid include:

Milk

Fruits

Vegetables (although this group is lower in carb than the other groups)

Starches

Sweets

One carbohydrate choice from the milk group is equal to one cup, preferably low fat or skim for adults. Many people do not realize that milk can raise the blood sugar, because it doesn’t “taste sweet”, but it does contain lactose, which will turn to glucose. One container of sugar free, fat free yogurt is also equal to one carb choice. One cup of milk is actually 12 grams of carbohydrate, but it rounded up to one choice for simplicity.

Buttermilk is the same.

One carbohydrate choice from the fruit group is one small piece of fruit, about the size of your rounded fist: one apple, or one pear, one plum, one orange, for example. One half of a regular sized banana is one choice. One half cup of most fruit juices, such as orange juice, is one choice. One cup of raspberries or melon is also one choice. 12 to 15 grapes (dependent upon size) are one choice.

The vegetable group is lower in carbohydrate. One serving from this group is typically ½ cup cooked, or 1 ½ cups uncooked, and is only equal to FIVE grams of carbohydrate, or one third of a carbohydrate choice. Practically speaking, this means that you can eat a little more freely from this group, since it has less effect on raising the blood sugar. Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, beets, brocolli, greens, etc. are examples of this group.

The cereal/starch group includes bread, pastas, starchy vegetables, and cereals. In general, one half cup cooked is a good guideline in this group: one half cup cooked hot cereal, or pasta, is one carbohydrate choice. One slice of bread, or one 6 inch tortilla, is also one choice. Rice is an exception: one third cooked is one choice, and one carb choice of beans is one third cup cooked. Most dry cereals should be checked on the food label under “Total carbohydrate”. It will show how many grams of carbohydrate are in one serving, and servings can be measured accordingly (remember to count the carb in milk used, too!)

Sweets are a more concentrated form of carbohydrate, and can be part of the diabetic diet if included as part of the total carbohydrate allowed. No longer is it true that the diabetic can not have sugar in their diet; but they need to plan it as part of their complete meal plan. For example, about ½ cup of most ice creams is equal to one carbohydrate choice. But beware of “low fat” varieties, and some “sugar free” items, such as sugar free cookies: they may contain as much or more carbohydrate as the regular item. Many “low fat” foods use more sugar or sweeteners to make up for the lack of fat.

Free foods contain less than 20 calories per serving and are not counted as carbohydrate choices. These can include:

Coffee or tea, sugar free soft drinks, fat-free bouillion or broth, celery, peppers, cucumbers, salsa are examples of this group. Seasonings are also free, such as garlic powder, herbs, paprika, etc.

Be aware that counting carbohydrates is only one part of a well balanced meal plan. Eating foods that are lower in fat, higher in fiber, and learning to make healthier choices overall, such as eating more whole grains, can be incorporated in a meal plan that can help to lower triglycerides, or meet other goals, such as weight loss, if indicated. This is why meeting with a registered dietitian to plan an individualized meal plan is paramount. Hopefully, this article will help take some of the mystery from “carb counting” and will help in making better choices.

Written by Sheri Waldrop

BASHFUL, can't help with the fiber supplement info, sorry. I try to eat enough fiber regularly and can get what I need in a container of raspberries and an ounce of Fiber One, which I'll probably do for breakfast this morning. Just one cup of raspberries provide 8.5 grams of fiber (I eat a bit more) - 1oz of Fiber One gives you 14, then other foods in the day provide more. Not hard to do, at least I don't think so. I'm glad to see you are becoming more aware of your eating with the journaling - fitday or paper, whatever works. Just remember this, this is not only about losing weight, it's much more than that and one thing I have always said about this WOE, it's a learning experience and each and every day I learn something, and you will too. I too have a couple yoga tapes, among other exercise videos and I just can't get in to doing these at home unfortunately - I thank G-D for my yoga teacher and her generosity - plus she's a great lady who I've been able to form a friendship outside of the class, an added bonus to her classes

GATOR, thanks for your insight on the glasses. I have no desire to do contacts, I can't put anything like that in my eyes, nor do I really want to. Plus, with my prescription not being too strong, I really wonder how much I really need these glasses. Maybe my brain needs to sharpen up a bit and get use to these. Guess it would help too if I wore them a little more, but in wearing them more I'm afraid then, I'd need to wear them all the time.

BOB, hey, next time you go through LEESBURG, found a place in a coupon booklet that claims they give $5 haircuts! Girl, if anyone knows the meaning of no money-it's me - no need to explain that one to me! Didn't watch BB last night - what did I miss?

GROOVIA, I can't help you with telling you where the info on carrots are in the new SB BOOK as I wouldn't bother buying the new version if one has the old one already as I do, but I can tell you that there's many articles that have the information about carrots AND popcorn being okay to now incorporate in to this WOE. Here's just one of the many articles that talk about the carrot, and has some very useful information about the GI & GL in general:

The Load Lowdown
A new way of seeing foods may hold promise for weight control and disease prevention

The carrot, it seems, has been rehabilitated. If you haven't tried The Zone, Sugar Busters or another diet based, at least in part, on the glycemic index, you may not have known that the carrot, once the epitome of healthful eating, had been forsaken. It had. Now it's back. The implications may apply to more of us than we think.

The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of foods according to their effect on blood-sugar levels; it reveals that not all carbohydrates are created equal. Some researchers and nutrition experts believe that diets emphasizing foods with a low glycemic index may promote weight loss, help control diabetes and lower the risks of getting diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

The Glycemic Load of Some Beans and Grains
(go to site link to see this info-couldn't get it posted correctly to insert it here0

Foods whose carbohydrates break down slowly release glucose into the bloodstream more gradually, earning them low GI scores. Those that break down quickly trigger fast, high blood-sugar responses, earning high scores on the index. Most legumes, fruits and non-starchy vegetables are on the low side of the index; sugars, refined grains and a few fruits and veggies tend toward the high side. On a scale based on white bread with a GI of 100, peanuts are 21, red lentils 36, an apple 54, chocolate 70, baked potato 121 and a baguette 136. Because of a high GI — 92 — carrots were, in Zone terms, an "unfavorable" food. But now carrots have regained their stature, on two fronts.

The glycemic index was created as a research tool, not as a practical guide for evaluating foods one at a time. To determine a food's glycemic index, scientists use a standard amount, measured in carbohydrates: 50 grams. However, that doesn't reflect the number of grams in a serving of that food. One baked potato has 37 grams of carbohydrate. A half-cup serving of cooked carrots has only eight grams.

To account for serving size when assessing a food's practical effect on blood sugar, researchers at Harvard have proposed the term "glycemic load" (GL). To calculate glycemic load, simply multiply the grams of carbohydrate in a serving of food by that food's glycemic index. (Although GI values commonly are referred to as whole numbers, technically, they're percentages expressed as decimals — 1.21 for a potato, .21 for peanuts, etc.).

A recent issue of the newsletter Harvard Women's Health Watch ranked some foods by both GI and GL. For a baked potato, the calculation went like this: 37 (grams of carbohydrate in a serving) multiplied by 1.21 (GI) equals 45. That's still high in a ranking of foods by glycemic load. Air-popped popcorn, though, went from a high GI of 79 to a low GL of 4. Corn chips fell from 105 to a moderate GL of 16. Carrots dropped from Harvard's oddly high GI of 131 to a GL of 10. Remember, serving size counts: That's a cup of popcorn, an ounce of corn chips and a half cup of cooked carrots.

And carrots' stock goes up even further. The widely used glycemic indexing of carrots at 92 (not to mention that 131) was faulty, according to Australian researcher Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller, a leader in the field and author of "The Glucose Revolution." She told me by e-mail that a later, less publicized test put carrots' GI at 49, and very recent tests under her watch found boiled carrots to have a GI of 32 and carrot juice 43. That would give carrots a GL between 3 and 4.

"I think the glycemic load is shaping up to be a valuable concept," said Brand-Miller. "A diet with a very high GL should be avoided. This means that the higher the carbohydrate content of your diet, the more important it is that the carbohydrate comes from low-GI sources."

Though a proponent of GI and GL awareness — she's working to develop a program that would allow low-glycemic-index foods to be labeled as such — Brand-Miller cautions against taking it to extremes.

"I don't think we should be necessarily aiming for a diet with the lowest GL," she said. "While the worst choice is a high-cholesterol, high-GI diet, the best choice is still being sorted out."

To view it from it's website, just click on this link: CLICK HERE

And girl, you can write!!!! You'll have to let us know if you get a response!

DAISY, I would believe that you won't be bothered too much, if any, by what you ate - the only thing I really see is the flour for the fried foods which probably isn't all that much and with it being on foods that have no GI, that lowered their effect. The only probably you may have is possibly a weight gain that wouldn't be fat, but more likely to the sodium intake, so do keep that in mind if you do have any type of gain, probably water due to sodium. DH definintely scored brownie points with the roses I'd say

WOOD, you think you plateaued - how long have you been stuck at the same exact weight? Enjoy the evening to yourself tonight!

Okay gals, I'm caught up once again - not doing too shabby this week, am I?

Going to go eat some breakfast, Fiber One, 2oz soy milk on top, some raspberries and maybe a milkshake or yogurt with PB flour which has become a delicious favorite as of late!

Have a great day - I'm off to the RECIPE BOARD to post a recipe for BLACK BEAN SOUP

Toodles!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 08-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #98  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Boy, this article sure does open ones eyes-much less make them think twice about eating some of this stuff when on a binge! This article comes from the
Center for Science in the Public Interest

Ice Cream Shops Serving Coronaries in Cones

Many Frozen Creations Equal to 2 or 3 Quarter Pounders

Everyone knows that ice cream isn’t a health food. And the food sleuths at the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) certainly didn’t expect to find the nutritional equivalent of broccoli in America’s top ice cream parlors. But the staggering calorie and saturated fat content of most of the treats served up at chains like Baskin-Robbins, Ben & Jerry’s, Cold Stone Creamery, Friendly’s, Häagen-Dazs, and TCBY is bound to surprise most consumers.

Some of CSPI’s findings—published in the July/August issue of its Nutrition Action Healthletter—include:

Ben & Jerry’s empty Waffle Cone Dipped in Chocolate has 320 calories and a half a day’s worth of saturated fat—the equivalent of a half-pound rack of BBQ baby back ribs. Fill it with a regular scoop of Chunky Monkey Ice Cream and the cone becomes worse (820 calories and 30 grams of saturated fat) than a full one-pound rack of ribs.

Cold Stone Creamery’s regular Mud Pie Mojo—a mixture of coffee ice cream, roasted almonds, fudge, Oreos, peanut butter, and whipped topping—is the equivalent of two Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pepperoni Pizzas (1,180 calories and 26 grams of saturated fat).

Häagen-Dazs’ Mint Chip Dazzler is a portable sundae with three scoops of mint chip ice cream, hot fudge, Oreos, chocolate sprinkles, and whipped cream. Nutritionally, it’s like eating a T-bone steak, Caesar salad, and a baked potato with sour cream (1,270 calories and 38 grams of saturated fat).

“It’s as if these ice cream shops were competing with each other to see who could inflict the greatest toll on our arteries and waistlines,” said CSPI senior nutritionist Jayne Hurley. “It’s not just regular ice cream, but premium. It’s not just one scoop, but two or three. It’s not just a cone, but a chocolate-dipped waffle cone. It’s not just hot fudge, nuts, and whipped cream but every conceivable combination of cookie, candy, and chocolate.”

Even a seemingly austere single scoop of premium ice cream provides 250 to 350 calories and a half a day’s worth of saturated fat. But that’s dwarfed by many ice cream parlor offerings that exceed 1,000 calories. One large Baskin-Robbins Vanilla Milkshake has 1,070 calories and 32 grams of saturated fat—that’s like drinking three McDonald’s Quarter Pounders, according to CSPI. One sundae at Friendly’s, the 5-scoop Candy Shop Reese’s Pieces, has 1,310 calories, a whole day’s worth of fat, and two whole days’ worth of saturated fat.

Not even TCBY—the ubiquitous frozen yogurt chain—can resist the temptation to pile on the calories and sat fat with add-ons like syrups and candy pieces.

“Frozen yogurt is lower in fat than ice cream, but I doubt that people go into TCBY expecting the calories and saturated fat of two pork chops, a Caesar salad, and a buttered baked potato—in a drink,” Hurley said. TCBY’s Toffee Coffee Cappuccino Chiller has 1,200 calories and a day and a half’s saturated fat.

CSPI’s good news is that you don’t have to avoid ice cream shops altogether. Most chains sell low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbert, or sorbet with only 100 to 200 calories and little or no saturated fat per scoop.

“Häagen-Dazs’ delicious sorbet is one of the lowest-calories items we looked at, with only 120 calories in a single scoop,” Hurley said.

If you choose to splurge, says CSPI, your choice should at least be an informed one—but that’s tough when chain restaurants aren’t required to list calorie counts on menu boards. Legislation that would require chain restaurants to do just that has been introduced in several state legislatures and in the District of Columbia. Those measures would let consumers see at a glance that Häagen-Dazs’ Mint Chip Dazzler has more than 10 times the calories of a scoop of sorbet. Menu labeling would also encourage restaurants to compete on the basis of nutrition—and not just decadence and price, according to CSPI.

“No one disputes that the obesity epidemic has many causes,” said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson. “But certainly the sheer size and caloric density of these ‘indulgences’ has something to do with the size of Americans’ pants.”

Most of the numbers in CSPI’s analysis come from the companies themselves. CSPI commissioned independent laboratory analyses of a dozen items for which the chains don’t provide nutrition data.

The ice cream study is the latest in a series of CSPI studies that have examined the nutritional content of pizza, movie theater popcorn, Chinese, Mexican, and Italian restaurants, as well as steak houses, sandwich shops, and the fare at food courts in shopping malls.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #99  

Good Thursday morning everyone:

My weight was the same this morning as yesterday. I haven't had breakfast yet, but I am sure it will entail at least one starchy carb. I guess I better decide what's going to be for dinner before I eat breakfast and that way I can plan accordingly.

Not much on the agenda today for a change. I am going to try to take the girls to the gym after my baby gets her morning nap in. Then we have to go by Trader Joes for some stuff.

tysgrammy: There are carbs in just about everything (dairy, fruit, veggies). The starchy carbs include things such as bread, pasta, rice, tortillas, pitas, Triscuits.....It'll take a while, but you will soon know all the rules and be the one giving advice to others.

bashful: I take the Metamucil capsules; they are easier than having to mix the powder into somehing. They also have one called Fiber One or Fiber Choice, and they are orange flavored chewables (no sugar). I've used those as well. Both of these can be found anywhere, and you don't have to spend the extra money at a health food store.

groovia: Very well done! You go girl! You could include endless research and bore them, but you summed it up nicely!

daisey: Sounds like you had a lovely evening. And, roses...how sweet; it's been awhile since I have received any of those.

wood: Keep up the great work on the exercise. I miss having a workout routine; it gets a little bit frustrating just to be able to workout when it is convenient for everyone else. My husband hits the gym 3 days a week, rain or shine, after work but I have to go when the kids are having a good day and everyone is well, and no separation issues arise. Oh well, that's the cost of motherhood, eh? I hope to get into a better workout schedule when my oldest starts kindergarten in a few more weeks.

Deb: I know what you are saying. We have two girls, and that's fine for us. We originally wanted 3-4, but we waited almost 5 years to have our first child, and we got married a little later than some. My husband is now 40. Also, before having kids it's easy to say that, until you realize the work involved in raising them. I would rather spend as much time with these two than to try to find the time for so many. I sometimes wonder how we would manage more than 2. When my husband gets home from work, these girls want his full undivided attention until bedtime. We also will have two weddings to pay for now, and we want to "help" with college expenses. We want to basically pay to send them to school, as long as they work through the summers and contribute in some manner. Anyway.....best of luck to your sis and her family!

Well, better get going to get a few things done. The dogs are shedding, and it's time to vacuum and call the groomer.

Have a great day!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #100  

Good morning, everyone. I tried eating plain oatmeal this morning and it was awful! I need to know of something I can add that would be "legal" and that would give it some flavor. I used to like the instant oatmeal with Cinnamon and Spices, but after checking the label, I decided it was probably a no-no. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. TIA

Marilyn
Old 08-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #101  

Default Good Thursday Morning!

A day off! Ah! Unfortunately, I have to attend a meeting at the store from 2-3. I would skip it, but it is mandatory, and the alternate meeting will be at 5am! Yikes! It will probably be rather boring, and I am not going to be happy that I had to interrupt my day off to go to it!

I did not get the chance to weigh in yesterday, so I hopped on the scale this morning. I am where I was when I left for vacation, but have not made any progress. Not unusual, seeing I have been really struggling with the sugar stuff. Both my daughter, and 'adopted' neice tell me my scale is off...heavy by a few pounds. I would love that! I will find out when I go to the doctor for my lab results. He will more than likely weigh me and I will be able to compare it with the last time I weighed on his scale a couple months ago.

My cold/bronchitis seems better today. I still feel a bit puny, but not too bad.

The garden has started producing! We planted very late, but the cucumbers are going to town! I am going to have a bumper crop in a week! The tomatoes are not doing so well, but I have gotten a few cherry tomatoes at least. We planted collards for a fall crop, but they are being very slow about growing.

I did very well yesterday with my eating. I did not taste the first thing at work. I had two large bowls of gazpacho for lunch, a bowl of cereal and a whey protein smoothie for breakfast, and dinner was a chicken caesar salad. I did have a very small piece of cheesecake- it did not taste very sweet- for dessert. This morning, I had a bowl of shredded wheat with fresh blueberries on it. Yum!

FILLISE: What will you be teaching at Auburn? I know a lot of students there. It would be fun if some of them were in your class! When are you coming to Atlanta?

DEB: I have 'secret' bifocals... I love them! I never had to adjust to wearing them at all. I used to wear contacts, but my eyes have gotten too dry, so I had to switch to glasses. The only time I found the bifocals annoying was when we had to sit in the balcony at church. Looking down is for reading, and up is for far away. It was all fuzzy and made me sick to my stomach. Needless to say, I did not do that again!

BOB: I love Great Clips! I have consistently gotten good haircuts there. I do like it when the hairdresser speaks English well enough to understand what I want, but I am rather easy to please! When are you coming to Atlanta again? I want to make sure I am off so I can meet you.

JACK: So you don't like tomato juice? Guess you are not a Bloody Mary person, huh? I know it sounds weird, but it is really very good. A friend of mine also cuts up the veggies, and lays them in a rectangular dish, then heats up one cup of tomato juice, and dissolves a Tablespoon of plain gelatin in it, adds another cup of cold V8, or tomato juice, and carefully pours it over the veggies. Once it sets, you cut it into squares and serve it with a dollop of mayo on the top. She calls it Tomato Aspic. Not sure if that is traditional or not...will have to ask the SIL...Mr. Knowitall in the kitchen!

GROOVIA: The response sounds good to me. What I don't understand is why these so called experts do not realize the relationship between insulin and obesity?! Insulin resistance is a very proven thing, and most doctors are now diagnosing patients with Metabolic Syndrome, which is basically insulin resistance that causes weight gain, and a host of other problems. They treat it with insulin lowering drugs, and have a good success rate with improving the patient. It stands to reason that insulin DOES play a big part in dieting. Can't wait to see if you get any response from GH!

WOOD: Good for you on the workout! Maybe you will inspire me to get back to my workouts, which have fallen by the wayside since I started this job two months ago! What play is your hubby directing? I am the head of the drama team for my church. We just started up the ministry, so we don't have a lot of great stuff we have accomplished. I used to do children's drama at my old church, so was drafted for this group. Sometimes, I feel like I don't know what the heck I am doing! If you are stuck, and not losing, while staying OP and exercising, have you had your thyroid checked? It is very common, and recently, the Board of Endocrinologists lowered the normal range for TSH, making a lot more people fall into the range of hypo, or slow thyroid.

DAISEY: You did great! Personally, I would have skipped the crab and eaten only the oysters! I LOVE fried oysters! The small amount of bread crumbs, eaten in combination with lots of protein will probably not set you back at all!

BASHFUL: Ditto to you what I mentioned to Woodfrogs. Get your thyroid checked. Especially if you have a lot to lose and are not making progress. I have struggled and struggled and I don't make much progress, but emotionally, I feel so much better knowing I am doing what I should and it is not necessarily my fault! Eventually, I hope my doctor can get my thyroid stuff right, and I will be able to lose.

PANCHO: I hope you can handle sending your little girl off to kindergarten! Next year, I send my baby off to college! Then we will be empty nesters! Where did the time go? Man, I feel old!

COUNTRY: Wow, I am SO impressed with how much you are walking! I bet you are building muscle which weighs more than fat. Are your clothes fitting better maybe? I still have not tried the pattypan squash. I have not seen it here yet...

QUILTER: Hope you get that laptop fixed soon! I miss you when you are not on here! Are you doing your TM? I have not been on mine since I started work. You need to come to Hotlanta and kick my butt for me....

GATOR: When do you get lab work done to see how the Armour is doing for you? My caterpillars disappeared. I hope the birds did not eat them! I can't find any crysalises around....

TYSGRAMMY: Not sure if this was answered for you yet, but starchy carbs would be breads, pastas, grains. Fruits and vegetables have carbs, but they are not considered starchy carbs. Beans, like pintos, can be considered a starchy carb, or a protein. I usually count them as a protein, and not a bread. Everyone has a different opinion though, and you can decide what works best for you in that.

SEF: Thanks for the funny email! I got lots of exercise with it this morning!

HEART: You are making progress! Wow...185! Seems just the other day you were hoping to break 200! You are doing so well! I agree with you about the salad over a burger! Hope Boogie's check up goes well!

Hope I did not miss anyone! Time for me to jump in the shower!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #102  

LIBRA: We were posting at the same time. Well, I was typing a long time! I like to cook my oatmeal with some frozen fruit in it. It is especially good with a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries thrown in. A little agave syrup, or splenda, and it is really yummy! You could also add a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a bit of unsweetened applesauce. Any fruit you have on hand, chopped up and stirred in will jazz it up. The 'eat fruit separately' rule does not apply if the fruit is cooked, and if it doesn't bother you to eat it with other foods, you can. I do, and never had any digestive problems. If you like maple flavored oatmeal, get some maple flavoring. You could even put a Tablespoon of Polaner all fruit into your oatmeal to flavor it.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:47 PM   #103  

Hey, I actually had time to jump on for a few minutes while my baby is sleeping. I like to check in whenever I can or I feel like I get behind (ha).

Libra: If you don't mind eating splenda, you can sprinkle a packet of that with cinnamon. You can also add Agave syrup or no sugar added preserves such as peach, strawberry, etc.. DaVinci also makes a sugar-free maple syrup that is good drizzled over oatmeal. You can dress it up with lots of good stuff. Enjoy!

Monet: That stinks....having to go in for a meeting on your day off; that's not really a day off then is it? I hope your scale is off a few pounds, wouldn't that be a nice surprise. When do you get your lab results back? I am glad that you are feeling better!

I go in tomorrow morning for my physical; it's been almost two years. All my lab results came back fine last time, but I am anxious to compare notes now that I am eating much healthier. Do triglycieride levels show up on a normal CBC, or do you have to request that?

Well, I will check in later!

See ya.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #104  

Monet and Pancho, thanks for the suggestions. What is agave syrup? The Cinnamon and applesauce sound great and so does the strawberry preserves. I checked the grocery this week for applesauce and preserves, but all I saw were the sweetened ones. I'll have to go back and ask one of the employees. I must have been looking in the wrong aisle. Thanks so much. I can't wait to try these.

Marilyn
Old 08-14-2003, 01:14 PM   #105  

I always learn something with this group! I guess I wasn't paying attention to the dairy stuff being a carb, I had just sort of eliminating yogurt from my diet and swtched to cottage cheese for lunch. I'm more of a cheese fan anyway.
today's menu: egg and american cheese on stone ground whole grain toast
cherries
snack-size lowfat cottage cheese, snack size SF jello and sesame wasa crisp bread
snack later on: cheddar cheese.
tonight: sushi with my sister!, and probably a salad.
Today is my break from exercise, when I run errands and straighten up the house, etc.
Getting ready for our County Fair next week, our agency has a display and I'm the coordinator...

I have 2 kids, boys, fraternal twins. They can be a handful, but they can also be very helpful. I'll miss them when they go away next year...For me, 2 was enough, and I think people who have more are very brave(I know a family w/8 children). I have many little nieces, and they're lots of fun!

Monet 320he husband is directing Mornings at Seven, we saw it on Broadway last year and really liked it. I was glad he submitted it to the Board for consideration. He's on the Board of Governors for our local Community Theater, he's directed, acted, sang, built sets, done lighting design, ushered, and box office. I've been roped into ushering, box office, and costumes at various times for various shows. It's all volunteer and has a solid reputation in the community.
I don't think I've had my thyroid checked, but it's only a 2 week plateau, so I'm hoping a little more comes off this week. I don't think thyroid problems run in the family...although I know other people with thyroid issues.
Guess I should go be productive...

Barbara
270/238.5/135
Closed Thread