Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Do the FATTITUDES TEST below & then post your score. (TEST LINK IN THIRD POST)
0 - 10 No or little emotional eating 1 4.55%
11 - 20 Mild emotional eating 7 31.82%
21 - 30 Moderate emotional eating 8 36.36%
31 - 40 Severe emotional eating 3 13.64%
Not interested in taking the test 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 7/14-7/20

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=29297

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 07-14-2003, 08:00 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there's 2 of them to read today:

YOUR OWN SPECIAL GREATNESS

Your life has a purpose, something uniquely suited to who you are. The more closely you align your day-to-day priorities with that purpose, the more fulfillment you'll know.

When the priorities you've chosen stray away from your purpose, then life becomes filled with frustration. When you put your time and effort into things that don't really matter, it brings on a painful, gnawing emptiness.

If something is truly important to the core of your being, then there is most certainly a way to make it happen. When you make the effort and spend the time on what really matters, the rewards will be great indeed.

It will never be easy to follow your purpose. For by its very definition, your highest purpose demands the best that you have to offer. Yet following that purpose will fulfill you in a way that nothing else can. To every extent possible, align your priorities to who you truly are. Let your own special greatness light up this world.

-- Ralph Marston
BEGIN TO CLIMB

When you must get over the mountain, you've got to begin to climb. Much effort will be required, and the sooner you start to climb the sooner you'll reach the other side.Just because the task is difficult is no reason to avoid it. Just because the odds are stacked against you is no reason to back away. While you're complaining that things are too unfair, complicated or overwhelming, they generally become even more so. Better then to simply start to work on them right away.

Just because you've fallen short in the past is no reason to avoid acting in the present with new energy and resolve. With each mistake and every experience, you've learned and refined your skills. You're more experienced and more capable now than ever before. Put your past disappointments to positive use by transforming them into present opportunities.

Get going, get busy, and you'll put even the most daunting challenges successfully behind you.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 07-14-2003, 08:01 AM   #3  

FATTITUDES TEST

From the book

Fattitudes: Beat Self-Defeat and Win Your War with Weight

by Jeffrey and Norean Wilbert

For each item, record the scale number that best reflects your current lifestyle.

0 = Never

1 = Rarely

2 = Sometimes

3 = Often

4 = Almost Always

1. I try, but fail, to lose weight and keep it off. _____

2. I feel out of control of my eating. _____

3. I eat when I'm not hungry. _____

4. I turn to food when stressed or upset. _____

5. I use food as a source of pleasure or reward. _____

6. I think a lot about food. _____

7. I can't seem to stay on track with weight management. ____
_
8. I binge eat or graze eat. _____

9. I feel ashamed of myself and my eating. _____

10. Food helps me deal with feelings. _____

TOTAL SCORE _________

Interpretation:

0 - 10 No or little emotional eating: Your weight management efforts should be relatively uncomplicated by emotional issues.

11 - 20 Mild emotional eating: You may experience difficulty achieving weight management goals due to emotional obstacles.

21 - 30 Moderate emotional eating: You will probably encounter emotional obstacles to healthy weight management and should consider counseling.

31 - 40 Severe emotional eating: Significant obstacles exist to healthy weight management, and counseling is strongly recommended.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:11 AM   #4  

THIS WEEKS CHALLENGES

The usual challenges of DRINKING YOUR WATER and drinking AT LEAST 64 OUNCES is ongoing, as is getting in 3 DAYS OF EXERCISE and posting it on the WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD

THIS WEEKS NEW CHALLENGE:

Pick at least one day (you could do more) that you take the time to post what you had for breakfast. Instead of posting an entire daily menu, let's just focus on one particular meal. So, if you've eaten breakfast already today (and it's SB LEGAL) why not post it and then, your challenge is DONE!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 AM   #5  

I'm bacccccckkkkkkk!

WOW! Look at the board, I go away and we get an entire new look - LOVE IT!!! Did you all know this board was voted TOP 100 ON THE FORBES TOP 100 WEBSITES ON THE WEB???? Just thought I'd throw out that little fact for you all

I see the "BOARD CRIER" (instead of TOWN CRIER) told you about my little girdle/toe mishap! Yes, tis true, this is a memorable one! Was putting on my girdle, and yes, I wear one EVERY day to hold my saggy flab in, had the left left through, was putting the right foot in and my pinky just didn't make it through before I started to pull up and "SNAP" I truly believe it's broken! Painful is putting it mildly. Of ALL times to do this, right before the weekend to go away, a week before leaving for an umpteen day trip, I break my toe. Well, that sucker not only blew up like a puffer fish, the darned thing is black and blue AND the bump on it must be the bone. It was VERY hard to walk and walk we had to to get in to the convention center. Every step had a ooooo or ouch thrown in, but I was a trooper and did quite well. I have to say, as ugly as it is today, it didn't hurt as bad as it did yesterday, seems when I step the wrong way is when it hurts even moreso.

So, as BOB mentioned, we ran out of gas. Now, mind you, when I called ELI to tell him we were on our way home on Friday night from LAUREN'S show, I asked him if he had filled up the car, he said he had. When we got in the car in the morning I told him to go fill it up, he said we had a enough gas, and last, on the road, I hounded him to make sure he got gas in that gas hog rental Tahoe! So, were driving and he says "we're running out of gas!" Thought he was joking, as you can't take ANYTHING ELI says too seriously, but for this rare instance, he wasn't joking! We ran out of gas, not as far as BOB said of 1 1/2 miles, but a 1/2 mile south of an exit. I called AAA and figured if it was going to be less than a half hour, we'd wait, ELI isn't too brisk of a walker, at his age you know so I figured it would be just as quick. Call AAA and they said less than an hour. As we were contemplating walking, or at least him, heck, I have a broken toe, AAA calls back with the tow company name and said it would be less than 30 minutes, so we decided to wait. 45 minutes pass, so I call, they say another 10 minutes. Another 20 minutes pass, I call again, they're "looking" for us - paleese, I'm a half mile from the friggin exit! Trooper stops, I know he ran the tag, probably for the reason BOB said and calls the tow company for us and says BUBBA is on the way - well, BUBBA doesn't seem to be getting here fast enough! Probably had to scrape up some dinner along the road. FINALLY BUBBA drives up, takes him 5 minutes just to get out of the truck. Takes not one, but two men to put gas in the car! Finally, after an hour and a half, we are on our way 1/2 mile to the exit to go get gas, then back on the road again. I made SURE that everyone knew what he did - bad thing was, he almost did it again on the way home, but he lucked out this time.

We got to the convention center in Orlando and had to walk, and walk and walk, of course, that's after paying a ridiculous $10 charge just to park in the parking lot! There were THOUSANDS of people there, okay, over a thousand, less than 2000, would say at least 1500 people and the line was LONG. We got there around 10am and the doors opened at 11am. We got pretty decent seats for being so far back in the line. The thing didn't start til 12:30. They had clips from past shows on the big screens they had up on the stage to help bide the time. I played games on my Palm Pilot as ELI zonked in and out of conscienceness. To make a long story short, unfortunately, Grandma didn't come through, not that I thought she would with all those people, but it was an interesting process to see him work, unedited and to see how accurate information he was able to get across-not bad looking either! It was an expereince.

From there we went to get something to eat and ended up at Carrabas. My only indiscretion was eating calamari, which I don't think was too bad because the breading's GL was lowered with the squid. I had brought legal food from home, and planned to be good, and I was.

Afterwards, found my sister, who had gone to see my nephew who's a CIT at a camp north of Orlando, outside Ocala, was in Orlando with two of my nieces, so they ended up staying at the same hotel and we got to see them all.

We went to the outlet mall - pain or no pain, shopping can always help Didn't buy too much, 3 shirts for MICHAEL that are going back because smalls are too big, and an apron and matching dish towel for my DM's bday next month that are SOOOOOO her! DM absolutely loves ice cream and the matching pair has ice cream cones all over it and says the "you scream, I scream..."saying. I'm going to make her keep it in the car so when we have bday parties, she has to wear it, as she's always the ice cream scooper person! It's adorable!!!!

Went back to the hotel, watched the boob tube a little and off to bed. Got up in the morning, gave ELI his birthday card (the old geezer turned 51 today), and his bday present. Went to breakfast downstairs, which is always a really nice buffet, not the typical one, more European with desserts, breads, just lots of stuff. I limited myself to a few slices of bacon, a bit of eggs one small chunk each of cantelope and honeydew and I had brought my Fiber One and a bit of soy milk.

We decided to go the flea market to kill the morning - yep, more walking! I wasn't going to let the pain ruin the weekend, and ELI's bday. Was pretty dead for a flea market and was disappointed. Only bought 2 videos and another cookbook I don't need (but have you all in mind when I do buy them) Then we went to MT. DORA, which is such a quaint little area of FL that doesn't look like it belongs in FL at all, and yes, we walked more, in and out of little shops. From there, we stopped at a HFS, which I do remember SOLSHINE mentioned that she goes to, if memory serves me right, but only bought a FEARN SPICE CAKE MIX (they are delish!) and then we went to lunch at a Middle Eastern restaurant that some guys, the day before when we stopped at STARBUCKS for coffee (after Carrabas) told us about and said was very good, (and it was).

Well, I think my soy must of been bad because all day long I was feeling barfy and finally, it hit me and I was barfing on and off all afternoon, barfer between Mt. Dora and the restaurant. Honestly, I didn't feel like eating, but it was ELI'S birthday, so I wanted him to enjoy himself and not have me put a damper on things, so I ordered falafel. Went to the bathroom and whamo, barfing again - tried to eat, back to the bathroom, barfing up the 2 1/2 falafel that I ate - hated it, not so much the barfing, I'm so used to it, but just that they were so good!!!! So afterwards, we stopped at SB'S got coffee, that came up again, and again, and then I felt better afterwards!

After that, we headed home, where, even though I never think I'm going to make it home when ELI is driving, we did We had a great weekend and I'm glad to be back - because I have to do this ALL OVER AGAIN on Saturday when I take the kids on this road trip I'm soooo not looking forward to!

Thanks to TRANQUIL and her staying OP during her trip, this helped me stay OP as well-THANKS TRANQUIL and CONGRATS to you!!!

I have a crapload of stuff to do this week before we leave. Today I have to go to the bank, take my MC bill in (due today), go to AAA, have my car diagnostic done to see what the heck is wrong with it, go to Visionworks this afternoon, go to library - suppose to have yoga, with toe bad, not to mention the muscle sore from walking funny, don't think THAT'S going to fly today Umm, not sure what else, but I'm going to be busy.

I don't have time to reply to all the posts over the weekend but will try to read through them all if I have time. Will be sporadically on this week, and will do my best to get replies in when I can.

Have a wonderful week everyone!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 07-14-2003, 08:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Deb, I got such a kick out of your weekend experience. But BOB told the girdle story just a little funnier. I bet Eli got an ear full when you ran out of gas. Hope that toe gets better. tape it to the next one. That should help it heal. Sorry you were so sick, but look at the bright side, everything you ate you only rented, didn't get to stick to the thighs, etc. You did great with your eating. I am so proud.

Jumping right in with the weekly new challenge:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in Pam. 3 pcs of already cooked bacon. 34 glass grapefruit juice.

Have a great OP day!

Jackie
Old 07-14-2003, 08:45 AM   #7  

JACKK, THANKS, I know everyone must of gotten a kick out of BOB'S post, I knew when I told her it would be colorful! I told TRANQUIL as well when I spoke to her. The two of them were laughing so hard!!!!

Hmmm, 34 glass of grapefruit juice???? Thanks for posting your menu for this morning - I think this may be an easier challenge to follow than a full-day menu.

Have a great week!!!!

Deb
Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 AM   #8  

Default challenges

Good Morning!
breakfast this morning was:
1 jumbo egg, fried in a touch of olive oil
1 slice bacon
on toasted organic stone ground 12 grain bread
Yummy!

Barbara
Old 07-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #9  

Good morning all! Well, it's another Monday... It's now been FOUR WEEKS since my big interview and I still haven't heard anything. My hubby told me to wait one full month before contacting them so if I don't hear anything by Wednesday, I'm calling. I know noone else who was interviewed has heard anything, either.

I've been pretty much staying on plan except for Saturday night -date night! We went to Don Pablos and I gorged myself on chips and salsa (Bad, BAD CHIPS AND SALSA!!!!) I gorged myself partly because it took forever for our fajitas to arrive. The waitress felt bad and (gulp) brought us a free dessert - a Chocolate Volcano! Like, the last thing I needed, right???? But I indulged. I was back on plan on Sunday and I'd really been on plan up until dinner (with the thought that I might diverge) so all in all, it wasn't the end of the world.

Deb, congrats to the site for being on Forbes' list!

Most of my "online" time lately has been consumed with Big Brother 4. I"m a sick, twisted person. What can I say? Hope all is well...
Old 07-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Oh man Deb, Eli sounds like my DH! Leave it till the last minute and most of the time forget anyway!!
I hate that! How hard is it to make sure you're filled up and driving a clean vehicle before going on a road trip!
Your a real trooper to get all that shopping in despite the pain

The test was interesting. Now if I'd taken the test before SB I'd have been Severe emotional eating: Significant obstacles exist to healthy weight management But I scored Mild emotional eating because of SB.

Breakfast
1 WW bagel (toasted) from Trader Joes (TJ)
TJ lowfat creamcheese
Bottle of water
coffee-equal - waiting for my case of Agave to show up!

Last edited by cherylco; 07-14-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:39 AM   #11  

Wanted to jump in here before the thread got too long. I'm currently doing Atkins and thinking about making the switch to SB. My question is, did you gain a lot when switching from Atkins to Sugar Busters? Any suggestions from those of you, that have made the switch?

Thanks,

~Semo
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #12  

Good Morning All

Deb - That sounds like quite an eventful weekend you had. Hope your toe is feeling better to-day. That's a good suggestion from Jack-K to tape the two toes together. This is what they usually do if it is broken.

Here's what I had for breakfast this morning:

1/4 cup Rice & Shine hot cereal with 7 ozs 1% milk and 1/2 cup frozen raspberries.

I have a pot of chana dal, barley and veggie soup cooking. Hope it is ready soon as I have to have an early lunch. I'm off to badminton at noon then to the hairdresser afterwards.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #13  

Semo - I switched from Atkins to SB and I didn't gain anything. I started losing a bit faster (I wasn't a big weight loser on Atkins to begin with.) I am so much happier with my whole wheat pizza crust and my Sugar free PB&J on whole wheat! I'll gladly give up the more fatty foods from Atkins in order that I can have some whole wheat spaghetti! Let me know if you have any other questions - lots of people here started out with Atkins and are "reformed!" Hahaha.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #14  

Thanks Amhlawyer, I haven't had much of a loss doing Atkins and I just could never get over the guilt of eating high fat foods. I've tried to stay on the lower fat meats and I do eat blue bunny yogurt sweeten with splenda. Guess I was doing my own version of LC dieting. Now that it's summer, I'm really missing all the great veggies. I ordered my SB book and should get it this week so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks Again.

BTW, beautiful children.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:58 AM   #15  

HELLO, HELLO, HELLO ALL:

As you know, we got back Wed. evening from our trip. Thursday was devoted to unpacking and doing laundry, and then the fun started.....my baby started vomiting Thursday night and into Friday (her 1st birthday). What a way to spend her birthday. Good thing we had a celebration for her before leaving Iowa or she wouldn't have been able to have any cake for her big day. We took my 5-year old to the emergency room yesterday. She had a red rash on her face that spread up and around her mouth and on her chin; it turned purple. When I talked to the on-call nurse, she said anything that has any purple in it needs a prompt visit to the urgent care to rule out any blood infection. She went and the doctor said it looked like some type of allergy to something. We are applying cortisone cream on it 4x a day, but she can't even lick her lips (which is impossible) or she can get sick from the cortisone. Well, she woke up at midnight last night vomiting. So, I am sure that I will be next; I catch any gastro illness going around.

Anyway, I read some posts about Rissa's site last week but didn't have time to even care what any of it meant. Well, I stumbled across her site from a low-carb board I used to be on, and I was able to access it at:
www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters
It really has a lot of helpful info. for those new to the sb woe. However, I did read something on there that confused me a bit. She said BE CAREFUL, and read ingredients: The primary ingredient in 100% Whole Wheat Bread is Stone Ground Whole Wheat; the primary ingredient in Stone Ground Wheat is enriched flour. Does anyone know anything about this?
She also mentioned Healthy Life Bread and Duke's Mayo. Has anyone found these anywhere, and if so, where?

My breakfast this morning was a Blue Bunny yogurt with two teaspoons of flaxmeal/nut mixture.

I bought some of the NSA Blue Bunny Drumsticks, and probably won't be buying those for awhile; they are really tasty, but a little high on the fat side. A great little treat when you wanna splurge though.

Talitha: Please post the recipe for those wheat germ brownies when you have a chance.

Tranquil: How did the lunch with your old friend go? Sounds like you'd have a lot of catching up to do.

Woodfrog: How's your sis recovering from surgery?

heartmom: I am so proud of you! Once you start getting those compliments and have to start replacing some clothing (or underwear) that is really all the motivation you need. Nothing is worth splurging over anymore to me. On holidays, I will probably eat off plan a bit, but will get right back on again the next day. Jumping on that scale everyday and seeing those numbers for the first time in a veeeery long time, and fitting into those jeans for the first time in over 5 years is awesome. You have done so well, and you will continue to do well now that you are re-motivated!!

Debelli: Wow, what a trip; you had me laughing at all the happenings. As if breaking your little toe wasn't enough, you had to go run out of gas, and if that still wasn't enough, you had to go puking all over the place. I am sure it wasn't funny at the time, but one of those trips you will carry in your memory for many, many years to come. Sorry, you didn't get the reading you were hoping for. My 20-year old niece has a crush on John Edward. She thinks he is sooo cute.

SEMO: I am an Atkins convert, and I would never go back there again! A brief history: I had a baby last year in July, and decided to get my butt in gear the end of February. I started Atkins on February 24th weighing 152 pounds. I stayed on it for March and April and was pretty committed. I was fluctuating between 139-140 when I decided I couldn't do it anymore (about 12 pounds in 2 months). I was very unhappy and my baby belly fat wasn't going down at all. I couldn't lose any weight around the middle. Anytime I would deviate from the plan even a little tiny bit, I would gain weight. I did a lot of research on a lot of diets and decided SB would be a new way of eating and way of life for me. I started it on or around May 1st and my weight as of this morning was 126 (14 pounds in 2 1/2 months). I have done so much better. My body responds well to this way of eating. I dont' like having so much fat in my diet. AND, my tummy is finally getting flatter. I feel as if my body is healthy inside and out. I love being able to have milk, yogurt, fruit, whole wheat breads and pastas. Just make sure that when you are losing, to limit your starchy carbs to 1 or 2 a day. I try to eat most of mine early in the day to burn them off. I will occasionally have pasta or some type of bread with dinner, but prefer to eat them earlier in the day. Check out the site I have listed above (pretty impressive stuff). It has a lot of valuable info. in a nutshell. Good luck with the switch; I know you will do well.

Well, I hope to get back on throughout the week, and get back into posting. Take care to all of you.
Closed Thread