Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If I showed up at your home unexpectedly, what would I think of your domestic skills?
I have OCD when it comes to cleaning! My house is ALWAYS immaculate, 24/7! 0 0%
I would win the GOOD HOUSEKEEPING award. My home would pass the white glove test. 2 4.35%
Clean, but cluttered 9 19.57%
It has that LIVED IN LOOK! 11 23.91%
Looks clean (what you don't see won't hurt you-just don't open shut doors!) 14 30.43%
EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!! 5 10.87%
In one word - SLOB!!! 3 6.52%
I wouldn't/couldn't open the door, I'd pretend to not be home! 1 2.17%
My house should be condemned! 1 2.17%
Not sure, it may be the maids day off. 3 6.52%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #106  

TONI- I took a hand quilting course about 8-9 years ago but I didn't think it was for me either. This year I took a sewing class and just loved it. I have sewn quite a few outfits for my kids and I thought I would try machine quilting. I think it is much more fun because it goes faster..which are you trying?

MIATA- I just did a *paper quilt* for the first time. As I mentioned to TONI this is my first try at machine quilting and I love it. I had all the material left over from that first even 8 years ago so I thought I would use it up in a scrap quilt. Turned out great so far but I have to tackle sashing and boarders next and need to figure out colours first of all. I know there are all kinds of rules about light and dark but I forget!! You must be a pro at making the tops and the rest of them once you get around to it.

FILLISE- You are always so busy adding quilting onto your list might take you over the top!! Congrats on your great loss.

TRANQUIL- We'll keep trucking along together. I nearly gave into some cookies today but resisted....it was close though!!

Gotta bath the kidlettes. I am going into town tomorrow to shop for the day so I will check in at night or Friday. Have a good one.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:23 PM   #107  

Hello, Hello,

Here are a few more notes I have about the trip. Debbie did an excellent job of giving you the details of our
activities so I will just add thoughts.

I hope someday soon you will all get to meet these great ladies in person. These are the kind of warm and
supportive people we need in our lives. Sonya ( Solshine) is so sweet and the type of person you need to be on your
side when something needs to get done. Trish is so full of life and fun and also so together. She was especially
helpful to me in making decisions on this trip. (You know, big decisions like what to take to Orlando and what to
leave behind.) Mary is kind and sweet and every inch the care giver. She was the best room mate a person could
ask for. Solshine told you about the gift exchange. I choose a gift I saw Vesna put down. It is the most wonderful
little bowl that she had made herself. Let me tell you, that girl is talented. I am so pleased with my gift.

I sat next to GatorGal at the luncheon and that woman is so smart. We played a word game and she was writing so
fast I was afraid the page would be set on fire. Yes, she won the prize. I think Chris won most of the prizes. We
played a clothes pin game and I finally lost to her at the end. Such tension in that game.

Monet: We did miss you. Maybe we can meet when I go though Atlanta next spring on the way to NC. Our route
is I 85 and I think we come near where you live. We usually eat at Papadeaux’s on Jimmy Carter Blvd and stay at
the

NoMoreSugar: The idea about freezing the brown rice is a good one. There are times that I just do not have time
to wait the hour to fix dinner

Fillise: Are you starting your training? I believe that Solshine is going to work out a schedule for us as far as how
much mileage to add each week. Right now she has a bad ankle, but we hope she will be on the road soon. You
and I can see how we need to train to make it at least to the 2 hour mark before the sag wagon picks us up. That
sag wagon joke really made me laugh.

Tranquil: Are you feeling lots better now? I am very impressed that you are dropping the weight so fast and
staying on program.

Trishaloo: I am up two pounds and your know I stayed on program. Is there any justice out there???? I am only
saying I am up, I am not admitting that I “gained” yet. My ankles are pretty puffy.

ACW: Congrats on the 6 pounds gone!

Jack-K: Okay, next week......losses. We don’t want to get on your bad side.

Serene: Hey girl, you rock! Congrats for the pounds lost. I was very happy to sit by you at breakfast. In fact, I
wouldn’t have wanted to miss it. You are such a delight!

Melf: Where are you? Are those people making you work?

BOB: Your were on our minds a lot this weekend. I was so looking forward to meeting you. We did go to
Shorty’s in your honor, however. I even brought home some of the BBQ sauce. If you are not on the board, who
will supply us with the unusual and wonderful comics at the end of your post. Please.....don’t let up.

More thoughts, later about the ladies and guys.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26 PM   #108  
Mel

Default WIW

No WIW for me- the pants-o-meter says I'm up- gosh how could that happen? I only ate about 4 lbs of salted nuts over the weekend instead of running. Got to get back on track somehow, but it seems no matter what I do, I'm stuck on a +or- 2 pound plateau.

I'm so far behind, I can't reply to posts. Just wanted to say HI and thanks Deb, for the week-end blow-by-blow. I really wish I could have crossed that finish line with you. Or ahead of you, since I'm the competitive type! oh, BTW, where is the bra store? Carolina (SIL) went to where she thought it was and said it was gone. She'd been there before after I told her about it, s I think whe had the right place. Do you have the address so I can give it to her?

Congratulations to all the losers this week. Sounds like everyone is doing great!

mel
Old 01-15-2003, 07:37 PM   #109  

Default Night Night

Hi All:

Had roast that was cooked with diced tomatoes, garlic and onion - boy the house smells good and I am sure there will be no vampire threats around here!

Mel - Next wiw will be a better one! 4 lbs of salted nuts, wow!!! hahaha

Yellow - I am feeling much better, I finished my meds and have been getting lots and lots of sleep...helped a lot! Now I just have a sick boy and a sick Gram...I guess that is my fault Oh well, I believe that a lot of my last bit of gain is water weight and the reason I am losing so quickly, from taking all that sinus medicine and drinking salty soups, etc.

Gracious - good for you not giving in to the cookies! Yes, I will keep truckin with you too!!!!

Fillise - Egg Drop sounds great - I am going to have to give it a try this weekend!!! You are doing great with the salmon and salad! Yummy!!!!

Teresa - Hope your head stops hurting!!!!

Toni - Good luck with the doctors tomorrow - he must be so thrilled with your success and all the exercise!!!

Amazahn - Howdy Neighbor!!!! I am in Avondale/Ortega, not too far from you! WTG on your weight loss!!!! Keep up the good work!

Mom2Marsh - 1 pound is a good loss! They say the slower the better!!!!!

JackK - Yes, most of the houses in my area have fireplaces and I actually have a wood burning stove with a screen to use it as a fireplace. This Friday they say the low is expected to be 27!!! I will definitely enjoy a nice fire!!!!

Got to get going, Bachelorette's on tonight - taking the place of Survivor for now....

Sabrina
Old 01-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #110  

Unhappy One More Time

Frequently I have felt that over the past year I can't get my "you know what" together and stay on plan, I'm good for a few days, and then the "a little bit won't hurt" sneaks in, and whammy, I'm back to the beginning. At a whopping 173 this morning, I once again am trying to reevaluate and lose the weight I've put on, due to excuses (valid or not) and procrastination. I found a program on MSN that talks about how to spend 4 week evaluating and learning about yourself and maybe losing some weight also. Goal #1, I'm going to start right now with their homework and incorporate the eating cycle of SB to the best of my abilities. Thanks for always being inspiring, I searched the internet far and wide, but I always come right back to you.

Ldblond
173/173/155
"Never Give Up!"
Old 01-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #111  
Mel

Default Training programs

Here's the site I used to help me figure out mileage for training. It's full of good information. Unfortunately, didn't say anything about staying out of pot-holes.

www.jeffgalloway.com/

Click on the "training" link on the bottom of his home page.

Good luck to all!

mel
Old 01-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #112  
acw
Cuddly Kiwi

I've just been reading your posts and I feel like I've just had a huge hug and pat on the back. You're 's!

I've decided the best thing about losing 6 pounds was having great people like you to share it with!!!

Thanks and hugs back

Anna
Old 01-15-2003, 08:51 PM   #113  

Default ACW

Anna, congrats on your weight loss...wow, from New Zealand!!! I just watched a movie called Price of Milk where the scenery was absolutely gorgeous - such a beautiful country!!!!! I was ready to move there myself! Keep up the good work!

Sabrina
Old 01-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #114  

I went to look at the photos last night - what a treat they were. Hopefully, more of us will join in next year!!! The scale is showing the same 2 pounds of the holiday 5 gone but I hope to move it more by the weekend.

I went to the dentist today. he wants me to see an oral surgeon before any more dental work is done - and I have been having tons of it. I had sinus surgery in May and still had pain - several xrays showed no more sinus problems. The next step was an epical (via the gums) root canal on two adjoining teeth. Still pain. One of the teeth had to be pulled a few weeks ago (not visable, thankfully) - it was cracked and lots of bone loss but still pain at the incision site. The dentist and periodontist now think that I need to see if an oral surgeon can fix the mess made by the endodontist.,.,,.,.,.

Great WIW for so many of you! I weigh daily - have always done that.

Jack-K - come on over any time! There is nothing like being retired and doing your own thing!!! I must admit that there are days when I get up early - like I did when I worked - but most of the time I go back to bed after feeding the cat!

Maemae - I believe the Blue Bunny yogurts are all okay - yes, a few have fruit in them but I still eat them -

Fellise - I read recently - I don't know where - that unripened bananas were being eating by SBers.

Tranquil - have you tried the Blue Bunny Burgundy Cherry ice cream??? OMG - It is sooooooo good. So are their cremesicles.

Quivondra - yes, I do understand. I love it <veg> when I weigh less than one of my sils. And , of course, the fact that I look younger than she does!!!

Debbie - thanks for the full and detailed info on Orlando. You made me feel like a part of it!! Gal - this Floridian is soooooo proud of you! BTW - you said you get Agave at a local HFS - could you tell me which oneand is it part of a chain??? I was in Coral Springs today and a big hfs and Whole Foods didn't have it.

Amazahn - love your kitten face! Gosh - another Floridian!!!

Toni - good luck at the cardiologist

TVthatsMe - hope your headache is better

YellowRose- thanks for more info on Orlando - you all sound so great I cannot wait to meet you.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:46 PM   #115  

Hi Everyone!
Sorry I have not had the chance to post before now. I did arrive home safe & sound Yesterday morning, only to unload my lugage & head out to help move dd's belongings from the storage to her new home. That was an all day affair, so no rest here. DH had to go on a trip yesterday & did not arrive home till 9pm. Spent some time with him.

Today I would have liked to rest up but my mom had a doctor's appt at 10am, so off I went with her. Got home at 3pm picked up the boys at daycare then came home & did homework with them.

I have to return to work tomorrow. I did however, download all the digital pictures I took in Orlando, then uploaded them to an online album. Some were a little blurred, but not too bad. The link is: http://groups.msn.com/SugarBusterGal...eting2003.msnw

I did read Deb's post describing our visit & it looks like she did a great job covering it well. I want to tell you that I don't remember when I laughed more & totally enjoyed every minute of the trip, the visit with everyone, every thing was so wonderful.

I enjoyed seeing old friends, Sonya, Gail, Sabrina & Wendy & meeting the new ones, Deb, Trish, Lyn, Chris, Vesna & her friend Sonna.

Deb is so sweet & like Lyn said, she's a perfect hostess, making sure we were comfortable & wanting to accomadate us in every way. She is so in the know about all the right things we should be eating/not eating. She could write a book with her knowledge of this WOE. I learned alot from her & plan to heed her advice about many things, especailly the Atkins products. When she said she had alot of recipe books, let me tell you, she wasn't exaterating! LOL Her performance in the WDW Marathon was so inspiring that I am seriously considering signing up for next year. I plan to start walking again as soon as the weather warms up a little. Right now, it's toooo cold & getting colder. We're suppose to get a hard freeze this week end, now in the mid to lower 20's. Deb, I soooo admire you & want to thank you again for having us in your home. I will never forget your kindness.

Lyn is very sweet was also a perfect roomate. Deb did well to team us together. We really hit it off & feel that I've made a true life-long friend. Lyn, happy to hear that Ray sound the incentive to take the tree down while listening to the cd. My shoulder was hurting too from the heavy bags, but it was worth it!

Trish has a wonderful contagious laugh & so out-going. She had me laughing as soon as we met in Atlanta. She can keep a party going & going! Trish, how dare they expect you to have to work already!

Vesna was totally not what I expected from seeing her picture on the board before. She is terrific. Tall, slender, beautiful & a great personality too. She was a roit during the Lingerie Show. LOL Enjoyed meeting her roomate Sonna too.

Sabrina, glad to hear that you're feeling better. Enjoyed spending some time with you on the boat ride & also the ride back to the hotel. Glad to hear that you are back on track.

Wendy, was great to see you again also. Your parade into the dining room with that wig was too funny. It still makes me LOL when I think of the waiter's response. Even almost asking for your autograph.

Gail, was great to see you again also. DH was pleased that you had asked about him. He said to say hello. Sorry you couldn't spend more time with us, but seeing you Friday was great. Hope your plans for the week end went well. Your tomatoe tart was really tasty. Did you post the recipe or was it in the copies that we exchanged? Will have to check.

Chris, was great to meet you & get to know you. I have my Yankee candle unpacked & set up in my bathroom with the shade I found for it. DH liked it too. Glad we could spend some time together. Will be thinking about you with all that is going on in your life. Good luck finding a full time job. That should not be hard for a good caring nurse like you. Just be careful about being so aware of your surroundings.

Last but certainly not least, Sonya, our hostess of the Friday Brunch. Your home is as beautiful as you are. I'm so happy for you & Vince finding such a lovely home. Thanks for providing the warm jacket during those cold hours Sat & Sun. I will be better prepared next year! Check out your pic that I got when we were leaving the boat landing! http://groups.msn.com/SugarBusterGal...oto&PhotoID=92

Well I think that's about all I can do for tonight, as I need to get a uniform ready for the am. But I didn't want any more time to pass before at least getting a post done.

Oh, & I am not posting WIW numbers today But know that I AM back on plan. Will have to hide my stach of chocolates. All of us that have heard Ded talk about her stach of chocolates? Listen, she showed it to us & I could not believe my eyes! But then I counted my bars that I brought home & I'm going to have to be very careful. These chocolate bars that Deb helped us find are awesome.

Deb, please take care of yourself & get plenty rest to recoup from the run & the blister. You need to be a lady of leisure for a while. You deserve it! That took alot out of you & your body needs the rest.

Got to go. Congrats to all of you losers this week. I salute you!

Last edited by Melf; 01-15-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #116  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey Ladies!

I haven't had the opportunity to read the posts about this weekend but I sure am looking forward to doing so. Sorry I've been MIA again, but as usual, I've been having some complications from my surgery. I developed a blood clot in my left boob and they had to put 2 drains in it. Oh the joys! Things are getting better but I am hoping to have the drain removed on Monday. Can you believe - I just can't have surgery without anything going wrong - need I remind all of you about the nose surgery this summer?!? Out of all of the bazillion boobs that this dr. has done it is only the 2nd one he has seen do this. Just my luck! So, I've been working and then coming home and taking it as easy as possible!

Other than that - not much else happening! I've been terrible with my eating - but I haven't gained. Hopefully I'll be able to exercise soon - that will help to motivate me to eat right. I cheat a lot less when I'm exercising for some reason! Well, I'll keep y'all posted - can't wait to read about the trip. Hope all is well - I'll be back soon!!

Missy
286/250/170
Old 01-16-2003, 03:36 AM   #117  
acw
Cuddly Kiwi

Evening all

Sabrina- Yes this is a beautiful country! " The price of Milk" doesn't do it justice try Lord of the rings. It is breathtaking in the mountains and there are under 4 million people so lots of wide open spaces.

We've even got Tom Cruise and Gwyneth Paltrow here making movies at the moment! A lot of them come here undercover for a visit.

Anna
Old 01-16-2003, 08:49 AM   #118  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good THursday Morning Everyone

I think I'm getting somewhat back to normal. I don't know why I'm so tired, you'd think the way I've been sleeping since Tuesday that I'd of had enough sleep for weeks. Each morning after taking the kids to school I've climbed back in to bed and slept, and still, I wanted more sleep! Last night I went to sleep around 9:30pm. I had such terrible night sweats, something that hasn't happened in a really long time and something that definitely annoys me. Came back from taking the kids and wanted to climb in to bed but decided the board was more important!!

My eating was just awful, before the get together and all during. Sorry to say, I was NOT a good influence and the DD wasn't properly used. YELLOWROSE, I must say, wasn't easily swayed by some of the stuff the rest of us was eating. I should of handed her temporary DD MISTRESS honors. I think, for me, as I've mentioned in the past, when a monkey wrench is thrown in to my life I still eat emotionally and with my Aunt dying and then actually dying, the race and the get together there were things going on that were not the norm in my life and I took the junk food comfort trail-not a good idea! BUT, I'm now back on track, no more excuses to lean on.

I'm still thinking about our weekend and seeing everyone! Even though it was the first time meeting MELF, TRISH & ROSE, the way we got along from minute 1 was like we'd been friends forever and just lived in different parts of the US and we were getting together after a short time apart. MELF is just so sweet and you know that the nursing profession is so lucky to have her in it, as we are to have her here on the board. She is so caring and has the biggest heart, you know there's nothing she won't do to help a friend (and a stranger) in need! ROSE was a lot of fun! Between the $6 jar of green beans to the sesame oil, to her lightly packed luggage, among so many other things, she had us laughing all weekend long. I honestly didn't know what to expect of how she was going to be once she arrived but boy, the weekend would of NEVER been the same without her-esp. the clothespin game! She was a hoot! She's definitely a lot of fun!!! TRISH, I knew TRISH was going to be outgoing from having many conversations with her over the phone, but how outgoing, I could never of guessed! She is a load of fun and once again, provided all of us with lots of laughter and fun - esp. during the lingerie show! SOL & TRISH remind me a lot of each other with their vivacious laughs and sunny dispositions! Seeing SOLSHINE was wonderful, and when I saw her I realized just how much I had missed her. It's been almost a year since we saw her last and it's just too long since we live only about 4 hours apart. I'm hoping her and VINCE will come for a visit one day soon! SHE is the PERFECT hostess!!!!!! Everything was excellent and once again I appreciate her opening up her home to all of us. I was so happy to see BIGK again as well. I know she had a good time and I wished she could of stayed the last day, I'm greedy, what can I saw. I wanted to spend as much time with everyone as I could, but I'm glad for the time I got to see her! JEFF, for those who have met him, has gotten bigger, if you can imagine. SARAH just get's cuter each time, not to mention taller - and who couldn't wait to show MISS DEBBIE how much taller she was! GATOR was only able to make the lunch and of course brought a delicious gourmet dish-would you expect anything less from her? She was our first winner of our first game, and a winner of another. Boy, that one is sly as a fox! Even though TRANQUIL had been sick, really sick, she made the trip over as not to miss this wonderful event. Unfortunately she got worse, after the boat ride and her and SERENE left early Sunday morning. I felt terrible, that she got more sick. SERENE was too funny, between sitting at SOL'S house with a pillow between her legs so she wouldn't cross them (for the game), to the trailer trash wig she sported during the lingerie show AND in to the restaurant for breakfast the next morning, she def. provided some laughs all along the way. VESNA joined us for dinner on Friday evening and OMG, she looks WONDERFUL! She has lost more weight since I saw her and says she wants to lose 10 more pounds, but I think she'll look anorexic if she does, and from where she would lose, I don't know. She looked STUNNING! And my gosh, when she spoke to me, she had to look down - she's so tall! She brought her new roommate SENNA and she too joined in the fun.

I'm sure I've left some vital stuff out, you know, when you get my age.... Just being with everyone was awesome and I really look forward to meeting more of you in the future. I know I will meet new people, as well as see old members. Some I know it won't be possible to meet, but that's what phones are for. PLEASE KNOW THAT I TALK TO A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT I'VE NEVER MET, SHOULD YOU EVER WANT TO CHAT, JUST E-MAIL ME YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER. I HAVE FREE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS AND WOULD LOVE TO TALK WITH YOU ONCE IN A WHILE!!!

THANKS TO MELF FOR POSTING ALL THOSE PICTURES!!!! If you haven't seen the pictures she's posted from the get together please take a gander. For those of you who were with us, show your family and friends all your SB pals - for those of you who weren't with us, do the same so when you tell them you're coming next year they'll know we're for real and know that you'll have a great time!!!!!

Here's the link to the pictures she posted, just in case you didn't see it before:

http://groups.msn.com/SugarBusterGal...eting2003.msnw

I'm going to try and get a few replies in here before the day is gone. Michael and Lauren have an early release day today so I don't have much time to do much of anything before I have to go get them.

MELF, LOL! I loved seeing the pictures, and I really laughed at some of the captions!!! Esp. the one with ROSE and the oil!!! Can't say I was fond of one of the close ups of me though, looks like I was smiling so hard that my face was going to break! LOVED the picture of the 3 Musketeers! The pic of SOLSHINE with the flowers next to her is wonderful, it shows her very sunny disposition! They are all great and I thank you for taking the time to get them up on the board. Funny though, I don't see any from our lingerie show Thank you once again for the Mardi Gras basket, the CD your brother made, which, like I said, even though I can't understand the words, I think the music is quite cool, and for the book! As you saw, I love to collect books with SB LEGAL RECIPES and the one you gave me is wonderful. I haven't been able to look through the whole thing, but the recipes I have looked at sound great. Which have you made from there so far? I can see posting some of them on the recipe board in the near future. But most of all, I want to thank you for coming down and being a part of this weekend, it meant a lot to me to have you hear, and to finally be able to meet you!

ROSE, sounds like RAY was quite happy with all the goodies you brought home for him. I take it he's ready to come to Florida? Has the avocados riped up yet? You should of taken the last one on the table, it ended up being thrown away! Thank you once again for everything, esp. for the pears from Harry and Davids. I swear, you had me going there for a good while trying to figure out who was sending me something from there. They were/are delicious and I truly appreciate you going through the trouble to have them sent as you did. I'm not use to having things like that sent to me and I just can't tell you how much such a gesture meant. I give you a lot of credit for staying OP as well as you did during your stay - you weren't easily swayed, unlike myself. I should of allowed you to hold the DD MISTRESS title over the weekend, I sure as heck wasn't keeping up with it! Thank you again for coming to join us for the weekend get together. I can't begin to tell you just how much it meant to me that you came and joined in the fun, not to mention, meeting all the wonderful gals that we have come to know and love. I can't wait to see you again, whether it be in NC or in FL, or who knows, maybe TX one day!!!!

TRISH, I just can't describe what a good time I had with you! After all the phone calls over the months, to finally be able to meet you and to see the wonderful person behind the voice, it was wonderful! You are just the kind of person I would love to live close to and hang around with. You have such a wonderful laugh and I can see how being around you can make someone happy and put them in a good mood. Tell DH you didn't make any weird noises, so he must be dreaming to say you do. Hey, don't forget to try out those ear plugs! I'm gonna just have to come to Austin one day, you should be on the board of tourism, you make it sound like a great place to come visit, and besides, I can wear that great T-shirt you brought! As I told the other gals, you know, you're more than welcome to come visit at any time, before, after or instead of a cruise!!!!

NMS, I'm surprised you weren't able to find the agave at WHOLE FOODS in Coral Springs, they have it in the Ft. Lauderdale store. I get it at a place called NUTRITIONSMART. It's $4.39 a bottle and if you buy a case they give you 10% off. There's one up in Palm Beach Gardens on Northlake Blvd. Their # is 1-561-694-0644. If they don't carry it, or know about it, tell them to call JOHNNY at the Pembroke Pines store - he's the one who orders it for me. If you go, check out the AUNT GUSSIES cookies, esp. the spelt choc. chip biscotti's, among other things

MEL, I wished you could of been with us and I know you would of had a great time, fun wise and marathon wise. There's always next year and I'm planning on doing it again, so I hope you too will be able to come and run with whoever does it next year. The bra store moved a bit east, right on Broward Blvd. Tell your SIL that it's in the 2nd shopping center after she crosses over Broward and University, going east. There's a PUBLIX and a STARBUCKS in the center. The store is 2 doors over from the left of Publix. If she wants to look it up in the phone book it's called ATLANTIC HOSIERY. Please tell me you didn't send out the stuff to me. You said you were going to, but if you did, I didn't get it. Please LMK.

Seems we had a lot of great losses this week! CONGRATS TO YOU ALL! I am NOT participating for at least a week. I did get on the scale the other day and was up to 131, not a pretty picture but then again, if you all knew what I had eaten you'd think it would of been 141, which, if I hadn't stopped, would of been sooner than I'd of thought. I'm back on track and happy to be so!

ELI is still in Seattle and being wined and dined and pampered by Starbucks. Tomorrow night is a big dinner where they are handing out awards. Hoping he comes home with something big, he certainly deserves it. He won't be home til sometime Saturday and then plans on going in to work on Sunday. Not sure where I'll fit in

Well, I'm going to go. Once again, sorry I can't respond to everyone today. I'm hoping that I can pick up after this post and start posting as normal. This week and next, both kids have mid-terms and are hogging the computer but I'm going to try and get on here as much as I can during the day.

Have a great day!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 01-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #119  

This was intended to be my TUESDAY TIPS, sorry for it being a bit delayed:

There's No Such Thing as Cheating
By Chad Tackett, President of Global Health and Fitness

There's no right or wrong way to eat. Healthy eating is all about motivation, balance, and flexibility. There will be times when you eat a high-fat meal or eat beyond fullness, or when your schedule gets so busy that you miss a work- out. This happens. It's normal. But it's very important that you don't get down on yourself and abandon your new healthy lifestyle when this happens.

If you're like most people, your reaction to these diet/ fitness obstacles is guilt. You feel as if all your hard work has been for nothing. "I blew it; I was doing so well. Oh well, I might as well enjoy this weekend and start over on Monday." Or even worse: "I just don't have the motivation or will power to start over and be successful. I quit." Feeling defeated, many people discontinue the healthy living and return to their old routine until some mythical time in the future: "Maybe this spring will be a better time to start over again." This kind of scenario is a perfect example of the diet mentality at work.

An all-or-nothing attitude is why so many people have so little success; we choose structured programs because they relieve us from making choices for ourselves. A properly designed program makes sense, but expecting to stick to a structured eating and exercise plan for an extended period of time without ever deviating makes no sense at all. In fact, this is so unrealistic as to be a set-up for failure. If you begin to change your habits with the assumption that any deviation from your plan will ruin it, you might as well not even begin. Life is full of unplanned obstacles, distractions, and temptations. Your best approach is to prepare for them, keeping an open mind and maintaining a positive attitude.

It's very important that you begin your healthier lifestyle with an understanding that there will be days when you will stray from healthy eating and exercising. Before you begin, tell yourself that no matter what happens, rather than abandoning your new lifestyle, you'll resume your healthy habits as soon as you can; it is equally important that you feel confident, not guilty, about doing so. What- ever the temptation or obstacle is, keep in mind that it's not wrong or bad to eat fattening foods once in a while or to miss a workout. Just remember to resume your healthy lifestyle. If you keep moving forward and you don't let guilt and discouragement stop your program all together, you'll eventually have improved eating and exercise habits.

With this approach, there is no such thing as cheating. When we feel we are cheating, we often punish ourselves; we make ourselves feel guilty, frustrated and defeated. Replacing the negative concept of "cheating" with the idea of "straying from healthy habits" takes away the all-or- nothing emphasis on right and wrong. If you treat every deviation from your plan as a failure, you won't get very far

Substituting the idea of a brief straying away from your plan instead of feeling guilty, and learning to return more and more quickly to healthier habits, is more realistic. It's also easier and more enjoyable.

In the non-diet approach, all foods are legal. There are no "good" foods or "bad" foods. You must believe this. Sudden changes and/or drastic restrictions of high-fat foods when you have a preference or craving for fat will result in feelings of deprivation. No one can or should go through life depriving themselves of foods they really enjoy. You must learn how to make gradual healthy changes to the foods you love while experimenting with and learning to appreciate new flavors and textures.

A recent survey showed that more than 75 percent of people feel guilty about eating so-called "bad" foods. The greatest obstacle to adopting healthy eating habits is guilt. Attaching a value to foods only makes you feel bad for eating them. When you do decide to eat a high-fat food, enjoy it. Don't beat your- self up over it. Just make a special effort to eat low-fat the rest of the day. Remember, there is nothing wrong with splurging now and then. It can even be good for you if the satisfaction of a higher-fat meal that you've been craving helps you stick with a low-fat lifestyle the rest of the time.

If you're having a special diet meal that's different from what the rest of your family or friends are eating, you'll feel as though you're being punished. In order to be successful in changing your eating habits, you must look forward to and enjoy each meal you eat. This doesn't mean that you have to learn to like rice cakes and celery. It means you must learn how to make simple changes in the foods you love.

Perhaps one of your favorite meals is fried chicken, a baked potato, and salad. Small changes in how the food is prepared can turn this traditionally high-fat meal into a low-fat well- balanced one. Simply marinating a skinless chicken breast in sweet and sour sauce, rolling it in bread crumbs, and baking it makes the chicken a lot less fattening than if it's fried. Instead of butter or regular sour cream on your potato, try low-fat or nonfat sour cream or a reduced fat ranch dressing. Try using a non-fat or low-fat salad dressing rather than a regular dressing and adding as many vegetables to your salad as possible for their additional flavor, texture and nutrients. Any or all of these changes drastically reduce the amount of fat in the meal without sacrificing flavor or feelings of satisfaction.

Healthy eating patterns can only occur when you're enjoying all the foods you eat. If you're eating low-fat foods just to be healthy but without enjoying the flavors and textures or how they make you feel, this most likely won't be a permanent change. However, if you begin enjoying healthy foods, you're far more likely to stick with healthy eating for life.

Many people also enjoy eating out but associate this with being "bad" or eating "illegal" foods. Fortunately, it is very possible to eat a healthy, low-fat meal in a restaurant. You don't need to forego your favorite foods or eat before you go out with friends or family. The same decision-making process occurs whether you eat at home or go out to a restaurant. Many people think that they have two options when eating: eating for taste and pleasure or eating for health. As you learn and practice healthy eating techniques, these two options will become one and the same. Good luck and enjoy all the wonderful benefits of a healthy, active lifestyle.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:55 AM   #120  

Here's a great site that has useful info as well as calculators on it for exercising. Check out the CALORIE CALCULATOR among other items on this site:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-58,00.html
Closed Thread