Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 06:21 AM   #76  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYONE

Hope everyone is having a good evening. I just ate a HUGE plate of creamed spinach..Haven't had it in a long time, and it hit my spot...yeah, yeah...I know, it will hit my spot in the morning all over again!
I ordered the new updated books from the GLYCEMIC RESEARCH INSTITUTE, and got them today. The Complete Guide to Fat-Storing Carbohydrates: includes glycemic response of 800 foods/acceptable vs unacceptable foods list & the sugars and sweeteners report.
The second book is LOW GLYCEMIC FOOD PLANS and RECIPES....I haven't really looked at them good, but will report on them as soon as I do. DEB...I'll bring them Saturday to GATOR's and we'll go over them. You may already have them...

CATHY...we ARE probably the MOST lively bunch you will run into...GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!
I'm like Deb...what are PIE CRUST COOKIES??

DONNA...I don't think I welcomed you yesterday....GLAD YOU CAME ON IN AND JOINED US...please email me the article from AOL...my email address is on the bio board..
Thanks in advance....

BARBEE...My gosh where did you find the time to post? GLAD YOU DID..sounds a little hectic over on the EAST COAST of FLA.. I don't envy all you have to do before Saturday. But with all your family there, you will sure have a good time.

CYN...glad you "dropped back in" we've missed you. Sorry you're a little under the weather...I'll give you my perscription....DRINK YOUR CHICKEN BROTH...

VIV...A BIG OLE SOUTHERN WELCOME TO YOU TOO!!
Congrats on your loss...isn't it wonderful?, and makes you feel sooooooo good!

QUILTER..Hope you get to feeling better, this stuff can really knock you off your honches...everyday someone new comes down with it in my office...I hope I don't get it again....

FINALLY..I eat a lot of fresh green beans every week. I cook up at least 4 lbs in the pressure cooker on Sundays. Get yourself some GOOD sourdough bread, UNCLE SAM's cereal, grilled chicken breast...fish...the selections are endless...when the menu board gets up and running, you'll never be without an idea...CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ONE!!

DEB...did your doctor suggest a heel cup for the spur? That's what the orthopods do here.
MUFFINS??? ummmmmmm...bring that book with you to GATOR'S...I think I'll fix some of my beans to bring on Saturday...

MELF...so glad the surgery went well. Now take care of YOU...feel better...and DRINK THAT CHICKEN BROTH!!!

Well I'm off to inspect my new books...DON'T FORGET SURVIVOR....

Later....

[This message has been edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old 02-02-2001, 07:21 AM   #77  

Hey everybody!

I think I'm about back to normal. I have had a WILD week and am glad that it's over (I work Mon-Thurs). My boss is supportive and has cleared my Mon schedule to help me catch up!

Welcome to all the new people. It's always fun to see new names on the board. Stick around ladies, stick around!

I am getting ready to watch Friends/Survivor. Why are the networks doing that to me? I gotta learn how to program that VCR!

Am previewing Fitness Friday Article ideas and think I will post an article on proper fitness shoe selection, in honor of the Super Chick's recent bout with foot pain !

I have a wonderful neighbor who is having a dinner party Sat night and wants to make sure that I can eat what she is preparing, which is made more difficult by the fact that I don't eat beef or pork! But she is going to make homemade marinara and I'm gonna bring my own noodles and SB cheesecake - this is the same group that I cooked it for before and they have requested it again!

To the Chick who asked about my Mac and Cheese - I cheated and used the Hodgson Mill M&C noodles and the cheese packet out of Kraft M&C. I said it was comfort food now didn't I?

Triumph Report! - Wore another old is new again pair of pants today! That makes not seeing the scale move a little easier to take!

Hope all who are sick are feeling better soon!

Have a good night, it's time to succomb to the powers of Thursday Night Must See TV and prepare tomorroe's article.

Good Night!
Peace,
Frog

------------------
190/170.5/130
(19.5 down, 40.5 to go)
"Unleash Your Feet!"
Old 02-02-2001, 08:51 AM   #78  

Hi again! Great news. We got to 41 degrees today. It's a friggin' heatwave. And the sun was also shining. Couldn't even handle two pleasant weather things in one day.

Just a few comments . . .
DEB---Sorry to hear about your bone spur. I sure hope there is something easier to do for it besides that shaving thing. Eeeegads, that sounds a bit daunting. I had some foot problems earlier in the year (mainly just some aching and paining). They didn't find anything. But the foot dr. gave me this yeowy shot right in my foot. I think it was chordizone or something like that. Anyways, I wasn't too jazzed about the actual shot procedure or about getting something like that pumped into that particular spot. But the pain vanished and has not returned. He also told me to lay off my clogs. Huge change for me, because I LOVED my clogs. Anyways, good luck! Thanks for the words of encouragement. Also, I am REALLY, REALLY interested in the bread machine recipe site. I've tried both the Brennan recipes. And am still looking for something magical.

MELF---Glad to hear your grandson is doing well. Now, you just have to shake off what's bugging you! Don't let that throat and headache drag on too long before seeing a dr.

CATHY H---You just gave me a real blast from the past! My mom made the EXACT same kind of cookies when I was young. And my Grandma also made them. Thanks for the yummy trip down memory lane.

Have a great night gals! I'll see ya on the flip side. (Is anybody else jealous about the upcoming rendezvous in FL? I must admit I'm a bit green! Have fun you lucky girls!)
Kim
Old 02-02-2001, 09:28 AM   #79  

Thanks for the welcome. I finally got my bio on the board. Got through the day with only 1 Coke! No more in the house. Every time I thought I had to have one, I drank a BIG glass of water. That seemed to help. Working on some ideas for meals for next week. Trying to be selective with what I put in my mouth until I get to the store. Have a Valentine's dinner at church on Sat. night, so I know that won't be good. How do you handle things like that, when you don't really have a choice of food?
Old 02-02-2001, 09:44 AM   #80  
Little Engine That Could

Big Orange, I'm looking forward to seeing the GI Reports books. They sound real scientific, but I have done searches for GI info. and now you have it! I won't play any Gator music, but I certainly won't redecorate my house for you. You'll see what I mean on Sat.!!!

I made the custard today, and I "doctored" up the recipe by adding some unsweetened chocolate. Actually, I combined 2 recipes, both off the old Sweetalk board. The custard turned out just OK, not great. But I have some berries that will go well on top. Strawberries and chocolate taste good together. I'll make the chicken paprikash tomorrow. I think Deb's bringing a dessert, so that will make up for the custard.

Debelli, the newspaper says it will be 68 degrees and partly cloudy. The radio says it will be 68 and nice and sunny. I don't know what God says it will be, but I bet what He says is what it will actually be! So, we'll find out Sat. I should be high 60's, low 70's.

Barbee, it was great to hear from you on the board. Congrats on your weight. I also find that, for me, combining SB with counting calories works. That would be similar to WW, except they count the calories differently--with points--and have meetings for encouragement. Way to go, girl!!

Old 02-02-2001, 09:45 AM   #81  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

Well, I didn't get around to getting a couple recipes on the board tonight, but I will do my best for tomorrow. Did post the link to the bread machine site though, at least I'm good for something.

The scales are WAY up for me tonight, UGH! Not discouraged, just peeved. It's almost mid-cycle for me, so this is pretty normal. I know it's not a fat gain as I had to tighten my fanny pack that I use for walking again, so that's a good sign even with the scale being up!!!

MELF, glad to hear your grandson is well, thanks for giving us the update!!

CATHY, glad to hear you are back on track. Don't know if the sugar made you feel that way or not. I know that many of the gals get sick when they eat something sugary-sure does keep me in line! Cookies sound yummy-thanks for the explanation!!

FINALLY, oops, hope you are okay after the fall! Hmmm, the bread, PERSONALLY, I wouldn't eat it. That's just my personal opinion, but you can eat it, and if you don't have any trouble with it, then go ahead and enjoy it. You have to remember, we are all different and we all have different reactions to different foods. Plus, I tend to get over obsessed and just won't touch anything questionable.

BIGORANGE, I LOVE YOU! I've wanted to order the GRI books for so long, please, please bring them!!! The heel spur is on the side of my foot, I'll show you Sat-something to look forward to seeing besides my ugly mug!! BEANS, are you sure??? Hey, you pick your own poison!!!! LOL!!!!

FROG, glad to hear things are settling down for you. Looking forward to tomorrow's article! Great on the old/new pants-I don't have any old, so I guess I'll have to buy new - one day!!!

QUILTER, if 41 is a heatwave, what do you call 82???? ****!!!! Check out the recipe board, the bread machine link is there now. Ah, the foot, I'll see what the x-ray says, that is if I ever go!! Unless it reall starts to bother me, or grows to the size of Mt. Rushmore, I don't think I"ll do anything to it.

Well gals, it's late and I've got to hit the bed. I'll check in tomorrow morning and get those recipes on. I am making a few things to take up to Gators house on Sat, so that will keep me busy for the day.

COUNTRY, thanks for posting your bio! Hmm, the dinner at church, this has come up by others in the past. You can make the best choices possible, eat something before you go so you won't be so tempted-I'm sure some of the other gals will have some good ideas. I haven't had soda since JUNE, and honestly, I don't miss it at all. Once the sugar is out of your system, those cokes will be a distant memory!!!!

GATOR, I'm sure the custard you made will be delicious. Let's pray the cake I make comes out as well as the first time. I'll be making the quiche tomorrow, and before we leave Sat. morning, I'll throw the hummus together. Thanks for the weather update, sounds like it should be nice weather!! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Have a wonderful night.

Debbie
194/have no idea/129

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old 02-02-2001, 12:14 PM   #82  

Everyone must be busy, not many posts today.
Viv--We have the same store in Portland, except it's called Nature's Northwest (owned by Wild Oats). It's a great place to shop.

Barb--good luck with all that is going on in your life right now.

Debelli--you're doing a good job on your walking! Go easy on your foot.

cyn--it doesn't matter how much you need to lose, it's the method of getting there, sweetie!

I had a really good day. I followed my diet to a "T" and walked on the TM for 60 minutes (based on heart rate, not speed). My husband just found out that his job in now permanent status. It didn't rain much today, it wasn't too cold, the freeways weren't as nasty as usual. It normally takes me 1 hour to go fourteen miles.

Love ya guys, thanks for your encouragement.

Debi

335/285/135

hope to see those number decrease soon!
Old 02-02-2001, 04:55 PM   #83  

Good Morning All!

Well I stepped on the scale this a.m. and it said I am up 2 lbs from last saaturday. Could it be that I am eating too much? Are those deli rye triscuits legal? Maybe I should cut out the bread stuff alltogether?!Anyway I have the SB book and would love some suggestions on other books that would help me out.

How much cheese is too much in a day? I usually have 2 slices provolone and 1 or 2 string cheese a day. Am I going too crazy?

I don't drink regular pop, just diet, diet coke, sprite. How about crystal lite is that legal? I am working on getting my water in too.

I finally got on the TM and walked 15 minutes, In the past I was walking at least 30 minutes. So I'm going to work on that. When the weather improves I will be walking outside.

Well have a great day I'll check in later after work!
Old 02-02-2001, 06:49 PM   #84  

I have to be to work early today and have a big day planned!!! Shopping after work and then to pick up some new wallpaper for the weekend project. Anyway I just wanted you all to know about a site I found after going back to Rick Mendosa's site. www.glycemicindex.com this is the site of the authors from the book The Glucose Revolution. I use their books as the best source of the glycemic index. Enjoy the site!!

------------------
Hope you don't find the pounds I've lost.
Old 02-02-2001, 06:57 PM   #85  

Good Friday morning! Everyone sounds up! thats good it helps when your trying to change your way of eating! We can do this right!!!! LOL!
I have been busy the past couple of days. Trying to get my house in order because i am going back to work tonight (6 p.m -midnight)so things get stressful around here! The only thing thats good about it is that i won't be around food-except the junk people bring in. I feel like i have my sugar addiction under control sooo I really don't think i will have a problem this year -or ever again (i work a seasnal job). I also know that i will have to get most of my eating done during the day and that will be hard. I can do it! I hope to have much sucess that March 20th goal will be here quick-look how quick Feburary got here! I am looking foward to peoples reactions who have not seen my 56.0 lbs gone! (well they saw about half before the lay-off last year!) I love peoples reaction, confessions, and eagerness to lose after seeing me (or anyone who;s lost weight!) Anyway enough boring stuff!
Well you girls have fun at Gators sounds like you have stuff planned and it will be fun! Glad u went to the Dr. Deb. I wounldn't let them mess with it myself.
Quilter-glad u feel better i think i would be sick if i could lose 5 lbs too!!!
cathy H-you do have to watch your portion size on the WOE. Personally i try not to overdo with the cheese, and nuts. I do have them but try to eat the low fat cheese. Don't stop eating the bread i only have 1-2 servings of "starchy" carbs a day. Just remember that the scale is not the only way to measure how your doing! I know the book says to weigh yourself, but i know you can tell by your clothes and so on how your doing. I know the scale stresses me out! you might have a big drop in wieght one week a small one the next. Hang in there! Try and get the water in its important to weight loss. I don't even drink diet soda anymore. If i do i use the caffine free. Caffine does something to the water that your consuming i forget what it was! Keep up the excersise too thats great!
country-Glad the coke is gone-yuk!! lol When i eat at church i bring a big green salad so i know there will be something there for me. I go for the plain meat dishes also. Then after the meal go off and visit and forget about the sweets!! During the holidays we all discussed that the holidays should be for visiting not eating if we surround ourselves with people we want to be around its easy to forget about the sweets.
Gotta gooooo have an appt. and want to work my body first!!!! wooo hooo!!!!!
Old 02-02-2001, 07:35 PM   #86  

Mornin!!!!!!

I couldn't wait to get into work so I could go online! I really don't have anything to say other than mornin! and that I hope everyone has a great sb day! I talked to Dan's mom lastnight( for 3 hours!) She and her hubby are doing well on the sb woe. I pray that she looses enough weight to fly out here from Ca, in Oct for Dan's brothers wedding.

Well, gotta get to work! Check in laters!

Cyn

Deb- yes, Dan does have a weight problem.(not as significant as mine) I am hopeing that once I loose a significant ammount of weight, he will want to change his eating habits. I can't and won't force him to do it, but He does have about 60 lbs he could loose.
Old 02-02-2001, 07:50 PM   #87  

Good morning!!!

I'm way behind in all the postings so I won't try to answer any...except to say you're all the best!!!

Someone did ask me about my sauteed spinach, so I'm going to post that on the recipe board. Spinach is a good source of calcium!!!

I'd love to know more about the glycemic books.... is there a web site to check those out/order them.

I've been using www.fitday.com to record my foods. It's wonderful. I definitely don't get enough of the vitamins and minerals that I need. I've also challenged myself to keep my caloric intake under 1800 so that I can lose weight. FitDay has a wonderful feature in that you can check to see if you've burned more calories than you've taken in. I've been doing good since I faithfully began recording my foods.

Debelli.... I challenge you to hide the darn scales. Just for a week!!!

I'm so glad it's Friday. I have the house to myself tomorrow morning, and I'm going to stamp some valentines (Overcome.... wanna join me?)

Hugs and smoochies!!

Connie
Old 02-02-2001, 08:16 PM   #88  

Goooood Friday Morning! It's Frog here with your Fitness Friday Report.

Non-exercisers take heed, there is something here for you, your significant other and your kids as well.

SELECTING A WORKOUT SHOE
(Running, Walking, Aerobics)

This topic is VERY near and dear to my heart as I have wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the wrong shoes and had injuries as a result; plantar fasciaitis, ITB problems, knee pain, and an emergent stress fracture. Finally, I had a physical therapist who specialized in feet, analyze my foot type and suggest the right type of regular and exercise shoes for me. I haven’t had any problems since. If I had continued to wear the wrong fitness shoe, as well as everyday types of shoes, I would have continued to ruin my feet. I am an overpronator with very flat feet. I want to encourage you to follow this important advice: Take care of your feet! They are the only ones you get in this life!

FOLLOW THESE 3 SIMPLE STEPS (All of which are detailed below):
1. Determine your foot profile
2. Match your profile to one of the categories below
3. Go to a specialty running/walking store, try on several pairs and the buy the one that fits the best.

1. In figuring out what type of shoe works best, you need to understand the basics of the 2 main types of foot motion and figure out which one you are.

Overpronation – when natural the inward rolling motion of your foot rolls too far inward. This causes extra strain on the muscles of the leg and can result in injury, commonly knee problems. If your feet are flat, then they you probably overpronate.

Underpronation – when the foot doesn’t roll in far enough. This causes you to walk/run more on the outer side of your foot causing stress on the muscles and tendons on the outside of the leg. ITB syndrome (Iliotibial band syndrome) is among the most common of these types of injuries. The ITB is a strip of connective tissue that runs from the hip along the outside of the thigh muscle and attaches to the shin bone (tibia) just below the knee. If you have high arches, then you probably underpronate.

Women are more likely to overpronate than underpronate, are more likely to overpronate than men. This is due to the increased angle of the hip to the knee women have (because of our beautiful, wider hips), forcing the knees into more of a “knock-kneed” position, with our feet wider apart than our knees.

So how do you know which type of pronator you are?
* Do the wet test. Wet your feet and then stand on a large piece of paper on a dry flat surface. (Do both feet!) Now look at the print. If it’s full, showing the entire sole of your foot with no curve where your arch should be, then you have a flat or low-arched foot. If there is extreme curve between the ball of your foot and the heel, then you have a high-arched foot. If your footprint looks like the “Hang-10” footprint, with a moderate amount of sole showing, then you may have a normal foot type.
* Look at the “wear pattern” on the bottom of your shoes. Look at the places where your toes and the ball of the foot come in contact with your shoe. Wear toward the inner side of the shoe or your big toe suggests that you are an overpronator. Wear on the outer side of the shoe, your little toe, indicates that you are an underpronator. And if wear is in the middle of the shoe then you have a normal foot motion.
* Look at the soles of your feet to see where the calluses are. Overpronators have calluses under or around the big toe and an underpronator may have them along the outer edge of the foot.
* Look at your legs. The more knock-kneed you are, the more you will pronate. Bowlegs and feet that point inward result in underpronation.

2. Now you need to select a shoe category to go with your foot type.
Motion-Control Shoes. These are designed for the overpronator. These assist in providing stability to your foot; keeping it in place and causing it to strike the ground in the correct pattern. The forefoot of the shoe is less flexible (it is harder to bend the toe of the shoe toward the laces). The sole of the shoe (the last) is straight, not curved. They are also a good choice for heavier runners because of the sturdy construction.

Stability Shoes. These are designed for normal pronators. They are less sturdy than motion control shoes, but have more cushioning (meaning that the midsole is softer) than motion-control styles. The softer midsole allows for more foot motion needed by normal pronators. The sole of the shoe is semi-curved

Cushioned Shoes. These are designed for underpronators. They have the right combo of cushioning and stability and are the softest midsoles of all. They also provide the best shock absorption. Cushioning isn’t for everyone though as it allows for the greatest range of foot motion. The sole of the shoe is curved or semi-curved.

Use these as guidelines, rather than rules, for selecting a shoe that fits you best. You may find that a motion control shoe fits you best, even if you aren’t an overpronator.

3. Take what you know about shoes, your foot type and go to a local specialty store. Talk to the sales people. If they can’t talk to you about what types of shoes are for your foot type, then Go Somewhere Else. By shoes from a place where the sales staff participates in your sport and understands your shoe needs. Try to find a store that has a treadmill. Try on several pairs. Check the fit and take each pair for a “road test.” Ask the sales person about the return policy.

Tips for a good fit:
*Always have your foot measured and fit the shoes to your larger foot.
*Try on shoes late in the day when your feet are their largest.
*Wear the same type of socks you plan to wear when exercising.
*The condition of your shoes is important.
*If you wear an orthotic, take it with you and try it with your shoe.
*Shoes should feel snug but not tight.
*You should be able to play the piano with your toes. There should be a thumb-width space between the top of your longest toe and the top of the shoe; check this on both shoes.
*If you notice rubbing, your foot sliding, or your toes banging against the end on your test drive, then keep looking for a better fitting pair.
*Look for brands that come in narrow or wide widths if needed.
*Buy the right shoe for the task. Walking shoes are not for running, cross-trainers are not for running, running shoes aren’t meant for aerobics, etc.
*Buy a more expensive shoe and get the right fit rather than buying a so-so shoe that is less expensive.
*Replace your shoes when they are worn out. When you start to notice new and sudden aches and pains, you may want to think about replacing your shoes.

And that's your Fitness Friday report for Groundhog Day, February 2, 2001.

Old 02-02-2001, 09:09 PM   #89  

Good Morning All you gals,
Thanks for the well wishes & advice of Chicken Broth. Think it's a full fledge cold now. Don't you LOVE those?

Baby sitting the grandson today, he screamed for his mommy not to leave him this am. Not his typical way. He seems to be playing ok right now though.

Not much time to respond, but have a couple of questions. I picked up some BRUMMEL & BROWN SPREAD made with YOGURT.It's DELICOUS, but wanted a couple of other thoughts from you Chicks & Super Chick!!
Ingredients:
veg oil blend(soybean), water, nonfat yogurt, salt, gelatin, & list goes on, but none that I can see containing sugars.
FACTS:
Total fat 5g (sat 1g,poly 2.5g, mono 1g)
Cholesterol 0, Sodium 90mg, Total carbs 0, Protein 0

Please tell me what you'll think??

I made some Hodgson Mill WW muffins yesterday am & they're really good. Trying to increase my fiber. Have a REAL problem here with not enough fiber. Not sure where to increase it cause I eat lots of fresh fruits & veggies, but it's still not enough. Any advice along this line would help too. I know I'm not drinking enough water also. Working on that.

Will check in later...hope all of you have a great day! Very cloudy & about 40 here in SW LA

------------------
Mary
Old 02-02-2001, 09:18 PM   #90  

Happy Friday Everyone

I'm also behind in posts so I won't be able to answer or respond to everyone. BUT everyone is so positive and is doing a good job following this WOE.

Both my children are sick today so I am having a forced day off. I'll have to go into the office tomorrow to catch up but I decided to make the most of today.

I'm doing fine maintaining my loss. I now weigh 137 and seem to be starting to slow down on the weight loss. It is a DELICATE balancing act not to eat too much, continue the excercise and also not to eat too little and continue losing weight. I have really tried not to get out of the habit of eating right.

Frog: Thanks for the shoe article. I have a very high arc and wide feet so I have always struggled with shoes that fit. I'm also too cheap to go somewhere that will give me the kind of service you are talking about. I'm going to re-think the cheapness aspect and go look for some shoes that work for me. After all it will cost more in the long run if I am injured.

Rhoo: You're doing great! I don't know how you do the late shift. I just have to have my beauty sleep!

Big Orange: Thanks for worrying about me when the convicts escaped the other day. They've been caught in Tenn. The prison is 30 miles north of where I live...

DEB, Big Orange and Gator: Have fun this weekend.

Deb: At work they have a digital camera and took pictures of me so I could post the final picture here but when I tried to up load the picture it didn't work. I'm going to try something different and see if I can figure it out. If not, I'll email it to you!

BARBEE: So glad you posted and are keeping us up to date on the weddings. It sounds like you have everything undercontrol and it will be beautiful and enjoyable. Thanks for haunting me and NOW remember I'll haunt you. Remember to post and let us know how you are doing and send us some wisdom too!

Gotta run:

222/137/140
Closed Thread