3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 11/4-11/10 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/21613-sugar-busters-weekly-support-board-11-4-11-10-a.html)

Zanne 11-08-2002 08:28 AM

Beautiful Morning!

Well, only got a bit of baking done. I'm still trying to find "legal" recipes or change my faves to legal.

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen banana bread listed with a moderate GI. I have a great banana bread recipe and thought I'd make a bunch of them to give. I experimented yesterday and made them with ALL whole wheat flour (the recipe calls for white flour) and cut the sugar in half. They turned out really good. I'm going to try replacing the sugar with unsweetened apple sauce. I would think these changes would lower the GI a bit too.

I want to try MELF's recipe for Cranberry Nut muffins. They sound yummy. I'll have to keep scouring the recipe boards for more great stuff.

I DID eat way too much of my baking yesterday. I got all bloated and felt gross. But today is back OP and lots of water!

DEBELLI--I agree with GRACIOUS that we can think about Christmas cause we're finished with Thanksgiving. Also, the Christmas brainwashing starts before Halloween with TV ads and Christmas stuff in the stores :dizzy: The swimming--it's Ladies only. The bathing suit does show my rolls, but I don't care. Some women just wear leggings and t-shirts! HOORAY for your breakthru! You ate too much and/or off plan, but that's in the past and you went right back OP. That's the way to do it!

GRACIOUS--Saw all the snow you got on the news last night. Holy Cow! Is it still cold enough for it to stay? Supposed to be beautiful here! Around 16C/60F:cool: Hope you fell better soon.

DENISE--Glad you're feeling better.

MUSIC--Sorry to hear about your friends' house, but how wonderful they have such a great community to help them out. And then your car! Oh my gosh--are the kids ok? Pretty scary stuff. Glad she's got to pay for the damage.

JACKK--Have a GREAT holiday. Enjoy every minute!

TONI--You have a GREAT visit with your brother!

Gotta go. Sorry I didn't get to everyone. I have a feeling I'm missing someone else who is going away(GATOR??). Have a good trip too!

Bye for now!

Toni48 11-08-2002 09:17 AM

Good Friday morning. Just did my week on the treadmill. Got my time up and am doing good on it. I leave next Tuesday for my trip to my brother's in Denver. I need help on things I can bring with me to eat on the plane. I have a lay over in Memphis Tenn. but don't think its time for me to grab a salad or anything to eat. I hate arriveing in Denver starving to death. Its going to be hard enough to get the right things to eat while I'm there. Thats the only real thing that makes me nervous about the trip. And one that no one but you ladies would understand.

Music teach-Hope that calgon took that stress away. I can't imagine what a stressful job it must be to teach kids and really admire you for it. Are you getting to walk anymore. I've got an old treadmill but they're great to have.

Fillise-Glad you're going to be OP again. Sounds like you've been soooo busy and still have lots on your plate. It will be great to get back to normal again I'm sure.

Denise- I'm so happy you're feeling a bit better. Maybe you can just do a slow walk to start out for your exercise.

Debelli- Isn't getting to enjoy a day of eating what you want and then staying OP or legal the rest of the time just a normal part of living. Being below your goal and doing well 99 per cent of the time with a treat day now and then a good part of being a real sugar buster... It would be a good thing to look forward to, letting your guard down once in awhile.

Daybreaker- Welcome to this WOE ( way of eating) glad to see you posting and hope you stay and enjoy SB with us and all the support here...

Jack-K-If I don't get another chance to tell you I hope you have a wonderful crusie. Relax and enjoy yourself... Can't wait to hear about your trip.

gracious- I hope you get to feeling better. Rest lots today....

Zanne- I don't think we can eat banana bread.

Time to go now.. Have a great day....

213/161/130

BOBatwork 11-08-2002 09:59 AM

MORNING!!!!

JEANNIE....Your MIDS are on Ntl TV Saturday!!! Here's their chance...

Jackie...Don't try to use the computers on ship...they are very expensive in the end....My nephew had me forward him some info in May and it cost him $16 just to get in! We'll speak your name every day so you can "zone" in on our thoughts....

I'll check in later...

BOB

gracious 11-08-2002 10:17 AM

ZANNE- You bet it is cold enough. This morning when I was getting the kidlettes ready for school it was MINUS 13 degrees celcius!!! :eek:

cherylco 11-08-2002 10:18 AM

Candicej

I totally agree with Monet. You don't never ever eat anything sweet ever again. It's just that your taste buds change and you just plains old don't crave sugary foods. I HAD to stop using Heinz Ketchup because it just tastes too sweet now. The 3rd ingredient is corn syrup. I used to really hate diet soda, totally gross taste. Now it tastes like normal soda to me and regular soda tastes like a mouthful of sugar water. I eat a candy bar if I feel like it, I just rarely feel like it.
The best thing about SB (besides that it works) is there is no measuring, counting calories, points or fat grams or weighing food. The only thing I look at is sugar grams. Well ingredients too.

Toni48
Take triskets or any legal cracker, some cheese stick things like mozzarella sticks, grapes, broccoli, peppers, carrots, celery. Lots of stuff!
Have a great time with your brother. :)

sef 11-08-2002 11:31 AM

HiedieHo All!!

Sorry I didn't get around yesterday, was on the go all day. Went to NH as usual, then to church and spent two hours making copies, then home to fix xomething for the HFH Thanksgiving dinner, then went to the dinner. Was finally able to put my feet up about 9:30p. Was in bed by 12:30.

Today is wash and clean day. Since I'm rired don't know how much I will get done. Have wash going and have picked up. Need to save some energy for tomorrow, our church is having a clean-up day. Someone gave the choir a large file cabinet so the director and I are going to work in the choir room. Then at two a friend and I are going down to Olde Towne to see an exhibit of religious icons.

I think Sunday after church I'll just collapse! I think there's an ice show on that will be strenuous activity for the day, watching that and reading the papers.

Could someone recommend brands of 100% Semolina pasta?

LDBLOND: I like the positive outlook!

HEART: Sorry to see you had a bad day at the health department. Some people are so insecure that they have to make life miserable for others. Just consider the source and forget that rude B----! Hope Joseph will be okay.

DENISE: I didn't do any snorkeling but loved the beaches. My DDhad a 4WD and we went to beaches off the beaten path that were secluded and beautiful.

MONET: Frazzled Dh and DD trying to get supper on the table?!?! I wouldn't worry about that, aren't you frazzled when you do it? Just think how much they will appreciate you when you get back to normal! Maybe, they will! Sometimes I think people are jsut glad they don't have to do something anymore.

GRACIOUS: Your beautiful snow scene makes me homesick for winter. I always liked the snow.

MUSIC: Sorry to read about your car experience, at least none of you were hurt.

DAYBREAKER: Welcome! You'll lots of support here. People love to answer each other's questions! I went on SB because of my numbers and they have come down to normal and I don't feel deprived or like I'm on a "diet".

CANDICE: Welcome. See above to DAYBREAKER.

Okay, I have been here long enough and nothing else is being accomplished. The dryer just buzzed to bring back to reality. Hope to check in later.

Shirley

debdetox 11-08-2002 11:51 AM

Holiday recipes

My husband and I started SB about 7 months ago, and have both lost about 45 pounds each. I quickly found out that SB is so much easier to follow if you get into cooking, and that there’s very little that we actually have to go without as long as I do my research and find legal ingredients to substitute with.

Now both of our families are very interested in trying this new way of eating. I let them all try some of the other recipes I’d found like lemon cheesecake, BBQ chicken, chili etc. and they were pretty surprised to find that these were all things that were legal on SB. Which really encouraged them to try it.
Now Christmas is coming… I’m trying desperately to come up with some cookie recipes that are legal, but also very good. I’ve been trying out some recipes with SGWW flour, soy flour, Xantham gum, and agave, but everything seems to turn out really heavy, dry, and dense… I was hoping for light and crispy, or even chewy. The icing is a synch so far, but the texture of the cookies is problem. I'd like to really impress our family again, and encourage them to keep going. This is the first time I’ve posted on this board, and I realized I missed recipe day by one day, lol. If anyone has any advice though, or recipes to help me with this conundrum please let me know.

:chef:

Denise1963 11-08-2002 01:24 PM

Hello!!

Good Afternoon all! Feeling much better. After I got home from work last night, I buffed my car, cleaned the tires and the windows. It's looking good now. (It took me about an hour, therefore I'll consider that some exercise....LOL)

Debbie: It was a lot of fun talking to you on the phone last night. I can't wait to meet you at Ole Ole!!!:lol:
You are a very sweet person!

Candice: I think it's a good idea to combine WW and SB. You will lose weight faster by combining the two and this is a low sugar WOE not a no sugar. Since this is a WOE, you won't gain the weight back after you lose it. If you have a taste for something sweet, there are a ton of recipes using splenda. Welcome and we hope you stay with us!

Gracious: It's nice that you have two months between those holidays. You are lucky. Someday, I'm going to go up there! I miss the snow sooo much!

Jackie: Have lots of fun on your cruise and post some pictures when you return if you can.

Susanne: I don't know if banana bread would be a good choice. The bananas would probably make it high glycemic unless you use green bananas and it is eaten when they are only green. It does sound delicious though. I'll come by and taste test some of your baking if you like! LOL!!

Toni: Great news on accomplishing your fitness goal for the week. Thank you for your well wishes for me. I am feeling better and will start exercising again next week. It's always the first day back to exercising that's a killer!!

Shirley: Oh, man, I would love to drive a 4WD around Hawaii's trails. That would be a vacation of a lifetime! I envy you...

Debdetox: I hear you need some recipes. I have 3 books of Sugar Buster recipes I can email to you if you have Word cause it's formatted in Word documents. You must e-mail me directly at [email protected] in order for me to send them to you.

I did finally find a pecan pie recipe from the low carb site:

Southern Pecan Pie

Reminder: This is a Specialty Ingredient Recipe.It requires pre-packaged items as outlined below.

Steel's Vanilla Nature Sweet and Nature's Flavors Splenda sweetened Butterscotch syrup are available from Nature's Flavors.com. (You could probably also use Atkins syrups)

Ingredients: ·
1 unbaked low-carb pie shell(See Pie Crust recipe)

3 eggs ·
1/8 teaspoon salt ·
1 cup Splenda ·
1/4 cup Nature's Flavors (Splenda-sweetened) Butterscotch Syrup ·
1 teaspoon high gluten flour ·
1/2 cup Zero-Carb Maple syrup ·
2 Tablespoons Steel's Vanilla Flavor Nature Sweet * ·
1/4 cup melted butter ·
1 cup pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 300°F.Beat eggs and salt. Mix in flour and Splenda. Gradually add syrups (previously mixed separately in a small bowl.) Beat well. Add melted butter and pecans. Pour into Pie Shell. Add a few decorative pecan halves to the top of pie if desired (I always do.) Bake 45 minutes to an hour. Pie is done when top cracks. Total grams in pie (assuming 0 carb crust): 41 - Cut into 8 pcs: 5.1 grams per slice.

Pecan Pie Crust
2 cups of ground pecan halves
2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon of salt
(I would add a little Splenda)

* Grind nuts.
* Mix with butter or margarine and salt.
* Spread in the bottom of a pie pan or spring form pan. * Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Serving Suggestions: This is a great crust for a cheesecake or other pie. It adds a great flavor. Save some pecan halves to decorate the top of your pie or cheese cake.

>
This sounds delicious. Never tried it, but found it and thought I would pass it on. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Denise

SolShine 11-08-2002 01:36 PM

QUICKIE

DEBBIE - I'll e-mail you soon! I PROMISE!!

SolShine is going to be going through the big D - 'DALLAS' on Thursday 11/21! Anyone care to meet me for dinner Thursday night or Brunch or Lunch on Friday???? If so have your people contact my people :lol: ) See my e-mail on my profile.

Gotta run! I'll be back soon!

daybreaker 11-08-2002 03:05 PM

thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses, guy and gals!

I guess I should go buy the sugarbusters book and read it. I like that I'm losing a lot on atkins, but some weeks I go nuts... it seems unreasonable that i can't even eat a banana or other fruits.

anyways, i'll go read the book and i'll probably post more questions on this board!

I mentioned once on the atkins friends board that these are the friendliest bb's that i've ever participated in. in some of the other ones, you're ignored until you've posted 100 times...

Thanks! :)

Serene 11-08-2002 03:29 PM

Happy Friday!

I've been enjoying reading all of the good recipes posted this week. I can't wait to try some of them.

I appreciate all the good wishes that were sent for my sons' surgery. It went well on Tuesday but we won't really know until the nerve heals if the feeling will be restored in his left hand. Dr. said this was very unusual and rare for a kid of 17 to have. He had to make two, 6 inch incisions - one by the elbow and the other in the hand, to get to the nerve at both ends. Joel had a lot of pain with it afterwards, but seems to be doing better today. I've really had to force myself to be kind to him this week, considering how mean and hateful he always is, especially since he doesn't seem grateful for anything I do to help him. I do love him, in spite of him self.

Denise - I agree with you - cleaning the car is definitely exercise. I feel like I've had a hard workout after I do mine. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Toni - hope you have a nice trip to visit your brother. I have a brother that lives about 40 min from Denver, in Golden. I've never been to visit him but hope to one day.

Jackie - You sure are a sweet wife to sit in the freezing cold to watch a football game with your husband. Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. I will miss your input on the board next week, but will be thinking of you having fun in the sun.

Tranquil is coming over tonight after work to help me do some things around the house. We are planning to have a SB legal dinner and then watch a movie - maybe the Ya Ya Sisterhood. The weekends have been the most difficult for me to stay OP lately, but I'm planning to do so this time.

There is no way I can get caught up with all the posts, so hello to everyone. Have a great weekend.

Take Care,
Wendy

Zanne 11-08-2002 03:43 PM

Good Afternoon!

WOW! I think this is the most I've posted in a week in a LONG time!

I'm pooped! Just finished making a big pot of chili and another of spaghetti sauce, then divided them up into meal servings. We have a friend who just had surgery on one hip and still needs a hip replacement on his other hip, so he's having a hard time getting around during recovery. His wife (my best friend) works full time. So I figured this might help them out a bit since she must be exhausted from working and all the household chores. I've also got some quiches, fried rice and banana bread for them.

Speaking of banana bread--I'd still like to hear other's opinions on this.

TONI-- ---Thanks for your input. I know banana's are a no-no, but I wasn't sure about banana bread since I have seen it with a moderate GI. I was wondering if the ingredients did something--like the ingredients reaction in sourdough bread change the chemical makeup of the ingredients therefore making it legal. I agree with CHERYLCO--take some triscuits, celery, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli--whatever you like.

DAYBREAKER--WELCOME! Sorry I can't answer about the transition from Atkins to SB, but ask away and you'll get your answers. This IS a friendly and supportive bunch:D

DENISE--Too bad you don't live closer or I'd take you up on your offer as taste tester. Thanks for your input on the banana bread. See my answer to TONI. I'm going to have to find a site where I can enter a food and get a GI (I've seen one, can't remember where). I also thought that by using whole wheat flour might help to lower the GI. Your recipe for pecan pie sounds sinful! I love pecans.

DEBDETOX--WELCOME to you! DEBELLI has just started to sort out a couple of years worth of recipes, but if you try to sift thru the recipe boards, you might be able to find something. I have a couple of books I'll check, but I don't have them here just now.

SEF--I'm tired just reading how much you do! Take it easy so you don't burn out.

GRACIOUS--MINUS 13C?!!!!!!! YIKES! It's actually about PLUS 13C here. I like the snow and winter, but don't know if I'd want it around from now!

Back to the chores. Gotta tidy up a bit and then figure out some legal snacks to have around. We're celebrating 2 birthdays this weekend!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Serene 11-08-2002 03:44 PM

recipes

Here are two recipes from a recent Oprah show that I plan on trying for Thanksgiving:

Bourbon Turkey
Recipe created by Carolyne Roehm
From the show Oprah Gives a Party

Here's a recipe for a succulent turkey. It calls for bourbon, but you can use apple cider if you wish.

INGREDIENTS
One 16-lb. kosher turkey
1/4 cup Herbs de Provence
2 yards of cheesecloth
2 to 3 cups bourbon
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

24 Hours in advance:
Soak one yard of cheesecloth in bourbon and stuff into turkey cavity.
Rub Herbs de Provence under the skin of the turkey.
With a kitchen needle and thread, tack the skin back on the breast securely with just a few stitches.
Wrap the turkey with remaining cheesecloth and soak the cloth with remaining bourbon.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning the turkey over 4-6 times.

Next Day:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
Remove the cheesecloth from the outside of the turkey and stuff it into the cavity with the other cheesecloth.
Rub turkey with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Bake at 275 degrees F. for five hours, basting frequently.

Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Apples
Recipe created by Ina Garten
From the November, 2002 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
Serves 15–20

Sick of the same old yams? Sweet potatoes and apples add a colorful, crunchy twist to your holiday table!

I plan to use Agave instead of the brown sugar.

INGREDIENTS
8 pounds (about 12 large) sweet potatoes
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup heavy cream
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
6 McIntosh or Macoun apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
6 tablespoons light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub potatoes, then prick several times with a knife or fork. Bake 1 hour, or until very soft when pierced with a knife. Combine orange juice, cream, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.

Remove potatoes from oven. Once cooled, scoop out the insides with a spoon. Place 1/2 of sweet potato meat into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add 1/2 of juice-and-cream mixture, blend until combined but not smooth, and pour into a large baking dish. Repeat with remaining potatoes and juice-and-cream mixture, and add to baking dish.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple wedges and brown sugar; cook about 10 minutes, turning apples occasionally, until lightly browned on both sides. Place on top of sweet potatoes and bake 30 minutes, until heated through. (Note: If refrigerating before baking, cook 45 minutes, or until heated through.)

Zanne 11-08-2002 03:47 PM

Serene

We were posting at the same time. Glad to hear your son is recovering. Remember to be good to yourself too! Have a great OP weekend!

debdetox 11-08-2002 03:59 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting everyone to be so helpful. These recipes look great, and I will have to slowly sift through the recipes on the board in the future to find more. Thanks for all of your quick responses I feel much more comfortable coming here for help when I get stumped now. Thanks for such a nice welcome.
Bye,
deb :goodvibes