Blond 8 28.57%
Brunette 15 53.57%
Redhead 5 17.86%
Black haired 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 04:44 PM   #61  
LKF

Lara, I said those things to Jack-K because we all (including ME) need to be reminded of these things every day we crawl out of bed...I'm so glad you were helped by it, too! I never heard that what you weigh on the scale is from two days ago...I think every day, what you eat counts and we need to see it that way. Lara, your DH sounds like a precious person...he loves his family a lot or he couldn't have swallowed his pride like that. You are blessed!

Yeah for Tina for not touching the cake, either before you left it in the teachers' lounge or since! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU!!! WTG!!

Jack-K, you're allowed to be disappointed...I didn't mean to come on so strong to you. I just want you to relax and let it happen. You don't need anything dampening your spirits about your fabulous trip coming up. And that includes being disappointed that you didn't reach the goal you wanted to before then. LOOK where you have come from! So you're allowed to be disappointed today...and then tomorrow, wake up and face the day with joy that you feel good, are so healthy, and GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME on your trip. O.K.? We all love you and we're going through it with you.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:11 PM   #62  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good afternoon!

Howdy all! WIW was kind to me..I stayed the same. 152. I'll take it.

Lara, here is the recipe for the spagetti squash..it's so easy.
I nuke one small squash for about 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure to POKE holes in it BEFORE you start cooking. When it's fork tender it's done. I like mine a little al dente..not sure how to spell that.

While it's in the microwave I saute one to two onions in a skillet with a little olive oil or margarine. I sprinkle in some garlic powder if I don't have fresh and some salt and pepper. When the onions are crunchy done I turn the gas off and stir in the tomatos.

Then just split the squash and pull of the ooey stuff and seeds. Pull all the flesh out with a fork and mix with the onion mixture. I serve it hot but munch on it cold too.

Your hubby is a sweet heart. My husband is making some major sacrifies for us right now too. ((hugs)) to you and your family.

YEAH to music and tranquil for avoiding the cakes!!!!!

Jack-K...I sure wish I could get myself together and get back with my walking. I miss it. You are doing so good. You have just hit that place where the weight is a little more stubborn. Been there doing that...try not to get too discouraged. ((Jack-K))

Deb...praying something changes and he gets to keep the job. Hope all your appointments go well. Thanks for the article today. It was very informative and a good reminder.

Toni...yeah on the 1/2 a pound..it's still on the way DOWN...woo hoo!! Get some rest and fell better soon. It's always fun when family visits and so nice to get back to normal.

Hang in there Trish..those 3 pounds aint gonna stick around long.

Gotta run and tend to some buisness....yucky. Be soooo glad when it's all done.

Be blessed and encouraged. You all are doing an awesome job at reaching for your goals. Setbacks are just that setbacks..no road blocks. ((hugzz))

Love,
Crystle

235/152/140
Old 10-23-2002, 07:04 PM   #63  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!!

BOB had a WONDERFUL DAY ....

Breakfast was a one egg veggie burrito...(home made)
and about a quart of Iced Tea (no sugar of course)

Lunch was a blackened grilled chicken breast with a side greek salad and more Iced Tea (no sugar of course)

Haven't decided about dinner yet...not hungry.....

WATERWATERWATERWATERWATERWATERWATERWATERWATER!!

JACKIE....I'm loving the successful season that the CATS are having, but they can't win the conference and the DAWGS can..they can also go on to a big bowl game which THE CATS nor THE VOLS can do....well, THE VOLS can go to a bowl, but at #18, what's it gonna be????

TRISH...I'm hoping that THE VOLS can beat BAMA, but they are on a roll, and want to beat everyone because they can't go anywhere at the end of the season....I'm right there with you on the gain...I gained two pounds this week, but I know what I did wrong...and I'm sure you do to..We can do this.... AND WE WILL!!!!!

COUNTRYMOM...those chews are good, but look what they did to me...I guess they would be ok every now and then...they sure do satisfy the craving...Try one...just don't tell (debbie)

LARA...I've had you on my mind a good bit lately...hope you're feeling better..thanks for the good thoughts...just know that they are coming your way at the same time....

MONET....You just concentrate on getting better, BOB and SUSAN will take care of the DAWGS for you...we'll let you know when it's time to get serious about being a fan!!!

BETH....I like that idea about the windows...I might borrow that idea if you don't mind....
YOU GO GIRL....You're doing great...just keep on staying on program!!!!

SABRINA...you'll get back on track...remember you just ate a lot of rich food on your trip...How's your DS doing...recovered completely?

MUSIC...good going on that cake....keep the strength and the faith!!!!

WENDY.....SABRINA...you all are crossing over each other...sometimes Sabrina is under your logo, and then it's hers...what's up????

TONI...so glad you had a good visit with your DS and his family.
Where are they going in SC???

DEBBIE...hope you get that insurance straightened out....the kids have to be covered! You have to get your DOCTORING done...COBRA aint cheap, but make sure he takes something!
I'm still wishing that I had come over with Debbie and Tom...24hours with you, Eli and the kids would have been better than none! Once I get Kate and Skeeter settled, I'm on my way...
Damn everything.... I NEED A DEBBIE FIX!!!!! The dungeon wouldn't hurt me any either!

OH.....MY.....GAWD!!!! I got my official AARP card in the mail today....guess I'm really a senior citizen!!!!!

Well, I hope I didn't miss anyone...if I did,

BOB
Old 10-23-2002, 07:34 PM   #64  

After a rough afternoon, I feel a bit better. Ya'all, I hate to complain, but I have not been this sick in 15 years! I am getting really tired of the pain, and lack of energy. Tonight I was able to swallow, so maybe I am finally 'turning the corner'. I can't believe I am able to swallow these horse pills the doctor gave me! They are almost as big as my thumb, dang it.

Someone asked about Gracious- I got an email from her a few days ago. She was concerned that her computer was getting ready to die, and said if she was not on, that is probably what happened. She will hopefully keep in touch with me via email when she can, so I can let everyone know how she is doing, and vice versa. Do any of the other Canadians know if your public library systems have internet access? Most here in the US do, and I hope she will consider that if it is available, just to check in once in a while until she can afford a new computer.

BOB: You know, they say laughter is good for the immune system. Your post to me was as good as an old comedy movie! I had a great laugh. You two keep me posted as to when I need to pull out my red and black outfit, and wavers, fix a tailgate picnic and head for Athens. ( or pop a bag of popcorn and sit in front of the TV would be ok too...) Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help in keeping me informed!

Gotta head back to the bed now...
Old 10-23-2002, 08:42 PM   #65  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Amazine Race soon to begin, making Lauren's dinner, thought I'd pop in for a second. Wanted to post this little tidbit about
DIGESTION>

How Is Food Digested?

Digestion involves the mixing of food, its movement through the digestive tract, and chemical breakdown of the large molecules of food into smaller molecules. Digestion begins in the mouth, when we chew and swallow, and is completed in the small intestine. The chemical process varies somewhat for different kinds of food.

Movement of Food Through the System

• Mouth: Seconds
• Esophagus: Seconds
• Stomach: Up to 3 ½ hours
• Small Intestine: Minutes
• Large Intestine: Hours

The large, hollow organs of the digestive system contain muscle that enables their walls to move. The movement of organ walls can propel food and liquid and also can mix the contents within each organ. Typical movement of the esophagus, stomach, and intestine is called peristalsis. The action of peristalsis looks like an ocean wave moving through the muscle. The muscle of the organ produces a narrowing and then propels the narrowed portion slowly down the length of the organ. These waves of narrowing push the food and fluid in front of them through each hollow organ.

The first major muscle movement occurs when food or liquid is swallowed. Although we are able to start swallowing by choice, once the swallow begins, it becomes involuntary and proceeds under the control of the nerves.

The esophagus is the organ into which the swallowed food is pushed. It connects the throat above with the stomach below. At the junction of the esophagus and stomach, there is a ringlike valve closing the passage between the two organs. However, as the food approaches the closed ring, the surrounding muscles relax and allow the food to pass.

The food then enters the stomach, which has three mechanical tasks to do. First, the stomach must store the swallowed food and liquid. This requires the muscle of the upper part of the stomach to relax and accept large volumes of swallowed material. The second job is to mix up the food, liquid, and digestive juice produced by the stomach. The lower part of the stomach mixes these materials by its muscle action. The third task of the stomach is to empty its contents slowly into the small intestine.

Several factors affect emptying of the stomach, including the nature of the food (mainly its fat and protein content) and the degree of muscle action of the emptying stomach and the next organ to receive the stomach contents (the small intestine). As the food is digested in the small intestine and dissolved into the juices from the pancreas, liver, and intestine, the contents of the intestine are mixed and pushed forward to allow further digestion.

Finally, all of the digested nutrients are absorbed through the intestinal walls. The waste products of this process include undigested parts of the food, known as fiber, and older cells that have been shed from the mucosa. These materials are propelled into the colon, where they remain, usually for a day or two, until the feces are expelled by a bowel movement.

So, why did I post this...well, just to show you that when you eat something that it will still be a strong possibility it's still in your system, and that 8oz steak is 8oz of weight you may be showing on the scale and that it's not a real gain, just food that hasn't passed. Just think about how many ounces of food you eat through the day! Some of the sites I looked in to gave some foods even longer to go through the digestive system, stuff like meats that take longer to break down and pass through

Will try and get in a post tomorrow morning before ELI and I leave for a day out together

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-23-2002, 09:37 PM   #66  

Default Aloha

Bob - I had used Wendy's computer and did not log out, so when she signed on - she was me! I had to tell her to sign off as me last night so I could get onto chat.

Deb - that is very interesting about the food digestion - yuchy poohey!

Country - staying same is not a bad thing! Next week will be a better week!

I am exhausted, I can always tell when it is getting close to 10 - I just about crash!

Night night, Sabrina

Had 2 meatballs with sf ketchup, 10 triscuits with cheese...well I could have just stuck with 6 triscuits, but....a salad for lunch and a small bite of some peanuts.....a few bites of my sf legal bread pudding - that is all I have eaten today - I want to cut out the starches - even if they are legal!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:55 PM   #67  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey friends!

I had a better day today. Thanks for the encouraging words - they really help. I guess I'm just down in the dumps because I start and stop and start and stop! DEB - just move in with me! You'll keep me on track! I know it!

As for the boobs, I haven't met with the doctor yet. So, I don't know what he is going to say. My first visit is November 4th. But, they have penciled me in for Dec, 17th or 18th - just so it wouldn't get booked before I visit! He may suggest that I not have it done- who knows. I know that I need to get the rest of my body to match them - I just need to get with it - AGAIN!

I had to laugh because when I called the Dr.s office about the boob job and scheduling my appointment, the lady asked what I wanted to have done and I told her the reduction. She said,"Oh, honey - he does BEAUTIFUL breasts!" I said, "That's nice, it will be the only beautiful thing on my body to look at other than my smile!" I told her that I was very overweight and that I wouldn't be showin off these newly reduced, perky boobs in any way!! HAHA! Oh well, we'll see - I'll keep y'all posted!

Well, lemme run! Thanks again for the encouragement! I love you!

Missy
Old 10-24-2002, 08:02 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi

They are getting ready to shut our computer down so I have to hurry and post this.

Tranquil, on passing up the cake. Glad you had anice "legal" lunch with Serene. Where is Serene anyway?

LKF, thank you for the sweet words. I'm moving on today.

Country, I'm going to have to try that spaghetti squash. I love anything with sauteed onions.

Bob, What they hey, those 2 lbs will melt away. You know what you did wrong and that is the most important part. Keep on keeping on.

Monet, Glad you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.

Love ya

Jackie
Old 10-24-2002, 08:43 AM   #69  

Default Good Morning

Hi All:

Down some since WIW, I am at 252! Yeah....it is falling off!!!!!

JackK - Serene has taken a job pet sitting and has been running all over town (yesterday I caught her between errands - running 6 cats to the vet!) and she has not been feeling well...she has fluid in her fallopian tube that is causing her lots of pain, along with she needs a tooth pulled so she is in agony and hopefully something positive will happen for her. But she looks good - she has skinny legs and her pants were falling off of her! I will tell her to get to postin'!!!

I am at work and have to run - checkin in later gators!
Sabrina
272/252/157
Old 10-24-2002, 08:46 AM   #70  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning Everyone

OMG!!!! YIPEE!!!!I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I'm definitely back up on cloud nine! I got on the scale when I awoke this morning and finally, I am back BELOW my goal weight!!!!! I'm at 128.75, it couldn't decide if it wanted to go up or down, but it was definitely below 129 and I couldn't be more thrilled!!!!! Okay, down Debbie, down! Can you tell I'm psyched!

Got in my walk/jog today. Did the usual 4.5 miles and walked about half. I used my POWERBELT today as well, so hoping that raises my heart rate a bit. Took me 53:55, a little slower than I'd like.

Went to the Dentist yesterday. Of course, he already told me what I knew, that I had broken my baby tooth (yes, I still have one) and though he said I had one option, he gave me two. I can either have it removed and have an implant, to the tune of $3,000 none of which my insurance covers, or just leave it til it starts to bother me, though hopefully not doing any damage to the bone. He said I had no nerve in there, so I'm opting for the second. No way can I pay that kind of money and right now, I'm not ready to go toothless!!!

Other Dr.'s-have a Gyn appt on the 11th, kids and I have dental cleanings day after Xmas (I don't shop the malls). Just want to make an appt for Michael to get his blood work done (over a month since we got the referral) and would like to just get a general blood workup done. Have to make an appt. in Jan. for her well visit and then we'll be good to go for a while, at least if the EX has the COBRA we can get all this in.

Eli is suppose to be off today, and we are most definitely heading up to Broward. Just when I got back from my walk he tells me he doesn't think he can be off today, that he has no coverage from 1-4pm. I'm not getting pissed off until he confirms this. I think he may try and find someone to come in during these few hours, he better, if he knows what's good for him! I haven't seen OLE OLE in over a week! Can you beleive!?! My mouth is watering for my salad! We are suppose to be going to go see his employee this morning, the one who lost his memory. Kids still is so lost-it's so sad, he's so young! So, right now, I guess things are up in the air-hate that!

Better get a going on the replies, before I run out of time (I acutally started some of this post this morning at 6:15am).

LKF, I forgot, I wanted to thank you for your input to FRUIT on the boob job. It made me wonder about this woman I know, more of an acquantince. She's in the process of loosing weight, and her breasts are so tiny compared to the rest of her body that I wonder if she may have once had a reduction and then gained weight, they just don't look right on her with her body type. I think once she loses the weight they will though (hopefully).

LDBLOND, Kudos on losing a pound. Even though you are up, you are back on the right track and for you too, it shows. Not only is the scale showing that I am reaping the rewards of being OP, the way I feel as well is even a bigger plus I'm sure you feel the same. If you read my post about digestion above you'll see that what you eat can stick around for a good while. There were sites that said some people, what they eat AND/OR their digestive system, it could take days, sometimes weeks to digest some foods! One site had this info:

How long does it take to digest food?

Unless you are ill, it takes hours or even days to digest your food. The complete passage of food from mouth to anus is called the "intestinal transit time" and is about 24 hours to 3 weeks, depending mainly on the fibre content of the diet. The first scientists to investigate digestion used to tie string to bits of food which they swallowed and then pulled them back up to see how they were getting on!

MUSIC, kudos to you on resisting that cake! You and TRANQUIL have great willpower!!!!!

JACKK, as you can see, the Dentist was a breeze, it's the possibility of the future that scares me! Hope those cramps lighten up and disappear soon for you. I'm due for TOM in the next 2 days, unless I'm late, which is rare for me, but it happens. Luckily, I'm one who rarely ever gets cramps, and thankgoodness for that! Why are they shutting down your computer???

TRANQUIL, like I said to MUSIC, you two showed wonderful restraint yesterday with the cakes!!! CONGRATS! Loved talking to you last night, wish I could of stayed on longer, I always know I will be laughing when you talk Glad to see the scale moving in the right direction today!

COUNTRY, good job on staying the same, much better than a gain, that's for sure. Thanks for the prayer for the EX, who knows, maybe it will help. Then again, I'm the kind of person who believes that everything happens for a reason, so who knows.

BOB, EX will have to pay the COBRA, he definitely needs to have insurance moreso than any of us. My kids never go to the Dr. other than their yearly check-up. Thank G-D they are both healthy kids! And you know me and Dr.'s. But him, he has some diabetes trouble, so he needs it more than any of us. He'll take care of it, not to worry. Just hope he finds something soon though. The bed's waiting for you-just let me know when!!!

MONET, glad to hear you are starting to feel better, hope you have a speedy recovery. I rarely get sick as well, but I think with people like us that "never" get sick, when we do, we do it in a big way!!!! Thanks for the update on GRACIOUS. Tell her we miss her.

FRUIT, I know it's tough to be on and off, up and down, but instead of focusing on this, why not try to focus on why this keeps happening. There's one thing that has to be said though, deep down, there's a really strong willpower in you, if not, you would not keep coming back. Please make sure when you go to the Dr. that you discuss all the issues that need to be talked about with him. About not only a weight loss, but that you are hoping to one day have a baby. And please, please, get a second opinion if this one Dr. says he'd still do it, please!

Tomorrow is my big day. I have my interview. Please wish me luck, I'm going to need a ton of it. Geez, I hope she doesn't deduct points for my ugly hair roots that are showing on my head!!!!

Well, I guess I'm caught up, which is great, esp. since I didn't think I'd even be able to get in a post this morning! I'll check in later on at some point!

Have a great day!

Debbie
194/128.75/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-24-2002, 09:01 AM   #71  
LKF

Mornin', everyone!

Deb, CONGRATULATIONS on being back down even BELOW your goal weight! You have been a total inspiration to us all through this experience -- from when you first got to goal and then had that eating attack that made you want to eat everything in sight...which made you feel awful for days and you got on the Board and told us all about it...to having the weight gain from it...to taking us with the big struggle to get it back off again. And now it's GONE!!! Yippeeeeeeeee and thanks for taking us step by step through it all 'cuz it sure shows us a perfect example of living the SB life. The part I like the best is that you deal with only a couple of pounds right now...you don't fool around until it is 10 or even more like so many of us have done all our lives. That's certainly the way I want to be.

Oh, and Deb, we'll be rootin' for you tomorrow. I won't be on the Board tomorrow so I'll have to hear all about it on Monday when I get back to work. I'll sure be thinking about you.

Now I have a small question for anyone who has read Montignac's book: Did you pay attention to his instructions to ONLY EAT A STARCH AT BREAKFAST? These are instructions! In other words, you cannot eat bread or any other starch any time of the day but breakfast. Anyone abiding by this?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #72  

Subject: Answering Machine At A Mental Hospital
Answering Machine at a Mental Hospital...
"Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline......"
1) If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.
2) If you are codependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.
3) If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
4) If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on
the line so we can trace your call.
5) If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be trans-ferred to
the mother ship.
6) If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will
tell you which number to press. Remember, you are never alone!
7) If you are a manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you
press, no one will answer.
8) If you are dyslexic, press 969-696-9696.
9) If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the pound key
until a representative comes on the line.
10) If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, telephone
number, date of birth, social security number, and your mother's maiden
name.
11) If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, s-l-o-w-l-y &
c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y press 0 0 0.
12) If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep
or before the beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.
13) If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term
memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you
have short-term memory loss, press 9.
14) If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All operators are too
busy to talk to you."
15) If you are menopausal, hang up, turn on the fan, lay down and cry.
You won't be crazy forever.
16) If you are blonde don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:27 AM   #73  
LKF

Poor blondes! We always get the bad press...
Old 10-24-2002, 10:45 AM   #74  

LKF, A long post means that my left hand is better, yes and that I have more time. Right hand is still the same.

Tranquil, good job - wish I could say the same.

Country, thanks for the recipe I can't wait to try it, it sounds delish and for me spagetti squash is a great substitute for pasta! YUM!

Bob, Thanks.

Monet, sending good healthy thoughts your way

Deb, Congrats! I knew you could do it! I do feel better and had a major reminder of what sugar does to us...I ate an apple pie from McDonald's....within about an hour I was soooo tired, it was from the sugar drop, YUCK! Don't need that. Shouldn't have taken a taste from my kids, I know better and ended up eating my son's as he was sooo nice to give it to me (he's 3, but knew he'd already eaten a treat, so he gave me his). I could have said no thank you had I not sampled it, once I get the darned flavor in my mouth, my brain shuts down and my mouth opens...today's a new day and it started at -1.5lbs from yesterday. From reading your digestion info (thanks by the way) looks like our fiber intake and water really is the way to take the fat away.

I received an motivational e-mail on aging, but I think that it applies to all of us who are going through changes in our lives. Substitute age with being healthy or at goal weight...

Today's thought is:
Aging is not easy, but what's our alternative?
- HELEN CASEY

The kind of attitude we developed over our lives determined how we
saw every detail of each experience. Even now our attitude holds us
hostage. The misunderstanding that many of us have is that we think
we can't really change how we see our world. Nothing is further from
the truth. We can make a large or small shift in our perceptions
instantly. The outcome is that everything about our lives changes from
that moment forward. Thus, how we perceive the aging process is
controlled by our willingness to look at it again.

Helen has aged gracefully. At eighty-six, she still finds time for making
new friends, three bridge clubs a week, daily mass, and frequent
communication with her children and relatives. She carries a positive,
hopeful attitude with her wherever she goes, which inspires others,
young and old.

It wouldn't appear that aging has been hard on Helen. But the truth of
the matter is that she has suffered many losses. What she has managed
to hold onto though is her faith in God and her willingness to see every
"glass as half full."

How lucky we are that we can "tinker" with our attitude for as long as
we're alive, and if we aren't completely happy, we have work to do. As
Helen says, there is no alternative to aging, except death. What happens
now is up to us.

I am only as old as I decide to feel today.

Have a good day....

Lara
171/167/165 (almost there and then on to the next goal)
Old 10-24-2002, 10:49 AM   #75  
LKF

Idblond, so glad your left hand is better...now for the right one to catch up. Thanks for the aging post -- I believe it!

So anyone who read the Montignac book eating starch for breakfast only?
Closed Thread