Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: The 4th of July is now gone, so just how did you do with staying OP?
I stayed OP 100%, no cheating here! 6 18.75%
I cheated a little during one meal, then back on track for me! 5 15.63%
I cheated a lot during one meal, then back on track for me! 1 3.13%
I cheated the entire day, but next day, I was back on track! 1 3.13%
I cheated the 4th and at least 1 or more days to follow, but back on track now! 6 18.75%
I feel like road kill, the wagon went over me, but today, I'm back on track! 5 15.63%
Help, I've fallen and I can't get up! I need an appt. at the DD! 4 12.50%
I plead the 5th, I'm not confessing to anything, you can't make me! 1 3.13%
OP, I haven't been OP since before the 4th, but today, I vow to change that! 2 6.25%
I just started SB, so none of this stuff pertains to me! 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 11:09 PM   #121  

Default Thursday Evening!

Hello All!!! Well, it’s almost 11 and I’m just not getting to the board. Had a really good day. Got a lot of things done at work. And I remembered to put some frozen salmon fillets in the refrigerator this morning. So they were ready when I got home. I put some sweet potatoes wrapped in foil in the grill and they were soft and wonderful in just over 30 minutes. It used to take 1.5 hours to get them really done the way I like them in the old oven. Paul grilled hamburgers for himself and I had one of the salmon fillets. I tool TRANQ’s advice and made a little sauce out of balsamic vinegar and spicy brown mustard. I also put some dill in it and brushed that on the salmon while it was grilling. TRANQ, you are RIGHT!!!!! That was awesome and so easy to do. I know you called for dijon mustard but all I had was regular and spicy brown. It definitely had a bite that was wonderful!

After dinner we went to Loews to pick up a few more things for the kitchen. Cove molding for under the cabinets. Then a light for under some of the upper cabinets. Then I got some cute curtain rods so I can get going on these curtains. That’s my job for tomorrow. We also bought some little white hooks. Paul came up with a great idea. We don’t have a stove hood/fan type thing and there’s all this wasted space under the high up cabinet. (Our old stove had an old microwave attached to the top so it took up all the space.) So anyways, Paul asked if I would like to see my pots and pans hanging from hooks under there. I thought that was a great idea. This tiny kitchen has very limited storage. So that solves quite a few problems. We only hung one up tonight, but I really like the way it looks. Oh boy, am I rambling. Sorry!

DEB---I have one question. Is a sweet potato considered a starchy carb? I’m thinking I know the answer, but just want to make sure.

FILLISE---Congrats for getting back OP. You are doing great. Our body rewards us immediately with feeling better when we treat it right. Thanks for the rundown on the Rosie Weight Issue. Didn’t sound very full to me either.

CM4H---I think the idea of weighing everyday is a good one. I may start that. The people who wrote that Carbohydrate Addicts Diet book say you should weigh every day and then take a weekly average. I always thought that was a good idea since it’s easy to fluctuate at any given time.

MERCY---So glad to hear that your niece is doing well and that the worst part is behind her. Hope those gas pains hit the road soon. Tell her to “keep on tooting”. She’s got a good excuse to let loose.

SERENE---Congrats on the big loss. That’s great. I’ll bet you were surprised to see the needle go down that far. Guess you got your system flushed out really well. I am sure that we would definitely be the “terrible threesome” if we lived close to each other. We’d need KTK to keep us on the straight and narrow. BTW, your pictures are great!!! That dreamy french waiter was quite the beau-hunk. Did he get a big tip?????? Also, KTK called tonight and she said she was going to put her camera in the car tonight so she didn’t forget it. She really sounds like a lot of fun. I think we’re going to have a good lunch and shopping excursion. I’ll probably get home before her so I’ll give you all a report tomorrow afternoon. I love the names of your hounds. They sound like fancy pants movie starts: Jennifer, Aussie, & Miles. Which one is the most laid back. Which plays the dominant role? Do you have to keep their racing names when you get them? Here’s one thing you have to know about my decorating. I have all these ideas and I probably end up changing all of them but one throughout the course of the project. I planned on green and white tile, chose faux brick. I planned on painting the countertops, chose to leave them alone. So I don’t know if I’d be any help to you. I’d probably add to any pre-existing confusion. I usually care my own fair share of confusion around with me.

Friends I can barely keep my eyes open. So I’m going to quit for the night. I’ll be back on in the a.m. to finish up my responses to everyone. Catch you on the flip side!!!

Kim
Old 07-12-2002, 08:59 AM   #122  

Default Friday Morning

Good morning y'all! I have lost yet ANOTHER pound!! I am now down 8 lbs from vacation. The good news is, all the vacation pounds are gone but now I have to work on the pounds that I had put on before that which messed up my all time low. I am now weighing in at 172 but would like to see 164 again. I was only at 164 for a few days when I saw it but I am going to see it again!!! So I now have 3 lbs towards this weeks count and maybe I get add a couple more to that. I definitely attribute it to my exercising. For those of you out there who aren't exercising yet, try it for a week and see if it makes a difference.

QUILTER- I like the idea of the pots hanging because you are limited on space. I don't like having to dig around in my cupboard to get the pot I want which is on the bottom of the pile! My mom has those great cupboards that pull out so you don't have to move everything around to reach them...must be nice! These hanging pots will be a lot easier for you to get at...hope you have nice pots since everyone will see them now! Keep them nice and shiny, girl.

COUNTRYMOM-Sounds like a beautiful walk. My middle son who is 6 always stops and notices the beautiful things in creation too. I find it so lovely because he is a rough and tumble kind of kid but has such a sensitive heart. Aren't the children such a blessing?

TRANQUIL- Glad I could help. You might be able to get the set of all 3 cheap too. It seems that when you buy them in a set you save money.

JBUG- Welcome back! Hop back on the wagon with me! I just got back from vacation and hopped on July 2nd. It has been a good ride with the added exercise. You can do it!

Mercy- We have 3 kids. A girl 8, boy 6 and boy 3. Add to that a dog, a cat, 3 budgies, 2 ducks and over a dozen chickens.

JRED- How is the book? Did you get raptured yet?

JACK-K- 5 miles would do something to your legs. Sorry you had a bad night hope last night was better for you!

That is all for me. The kidlettes want me to help them pin their bug collection on the foam board!
Old 07-12-2002, 08:59 AM   #123  

Good Friday morning! Used all my allotted 1/2 hour time reading the posts. Whew, we are all busy. This a.m. was a perfect summer morning. Low humidity, bright sun & a whisper of a breeze. It was inspiring. I have the best job! Love to see the sunrise. (After I haul this big butt out of bed ) Dh is still at 215. He's positive & doesn't seem to be in his down mood right now so I think he will stick it out at least until Sunday. I'm at 143 this a.m.

Fillese-Happy SB anniversary! 2 years already?

Tranquil-congrats on the loss. Girl you are inspiring with all the workouts. I love to work out. I've got to begin today.

Jred-hope you feel better soon. hmmmm, dh eating enough? I think so but I'll double check with him. I know he's not eating much lunch but I cook him a good dinner. He seems hooked on roasted peanuts in the evenings. He's not drinking enough h2o. Thanks.

Jackk-thanks for the support. Fellow closet eater here too. Good luck on sleeping. I battle insomnia periodically myself too.

heartmom-congrats on the loss! Whoo hoo. Doesn't it feel good.

deb-Oops. no bio. Gotta remedy that. Thanks for the Enricos tip. I'll look for it.

Sheann-Doesn't it feel good to recommit.

Gracious-New hair & high iq. Can't think of a better day.

Mercy-congrats on the loss. Glad your niece made it through too.

Musicteach-Loved the rooms. How inspiring. Love all the new colors around.

Quilter-Do you think it's true about a green kitchen & lower appetite being connected? I heard that a long time ago somewhere.

Well, all. I get to clean the house now! I've been clicking on these smilies & I'm not sure where they're going.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:22 AM   #124  

Default Friday? Where did the week go!?

I had every intention of keeping up this week. I can't believe it is Friday, and this is the first time I am getting to post. I really did try last night, but Explorer closed on me when I tried to open the smilies page. This one will be nude of smilies.

This week, I have been trying to get a lot of my writing done. I write free lance Children's curriculum for a church. With vacation coming up in two weeks, I need to be ahead. Sometimes, writer's block slows me down, like this week! I try and blame it on the theme or topic for teaching, but if I were honest, I would know that is not true!

I am a not doing any better, and now I feel fairly certain my lupus is flaring. I have been suffering a lot of fatigue and joint pain. Guess I will try and get in to the doctor sometime in the next few days. Nothing they can do tho, but take blood and tell me how bad the flare is. Not sure I want to know.

SBwise, I have been on program, but eating too many starchy carbs. I need to curtail that, and think low carb. Someone sent me a great article from the NY Times that said the medical community is beginning to have to eat crow - Dr. Atkins has been right all along. It is the carbs that make you fat, and not the fats. Duh! We all know that. Sugar and carbs from processed sources are the biggest culprits. I was glad to see they are questioning that stupid food pyramid that has no scientific basis.

I tried to read all the posts last night, but my head was swimming, and I could barely retain what I was reading. I do remember I missed Gracious' and Toni's birthday, so

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, GRACIOUS and TONI!!!!

I have not stepped on the scale. With my health issues, I know I am retaining water, and I just don't need any help feeling depressed. I feel like my clothes fit the same, but my wedding ring is tight.

Sorry this post is not more personal, and I hope everyone will forgive me for not addressing individuals.

As I was skimming posts, I noticed some absences...where are Nance, Fruit, and Gator? I know there are more...just can't think with my head pounding.

Have a great weekend, and I hope everyone has a wonderful weigh in next week!

Last edited by Ellen; 07-12-2002 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:41 AM   #125  

Good morning!

I can't believe it's Friday already. The week has flown. Went to a couple of garage sales yesterday. Didn't find anything. Maybe we'll go out again today.

Things are going ok. So far so good. Trying to stay op.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. The weather here is beautiful. Not too hot but bright and sunny. We are supposed to be having The Venetian Festival down by the Lake (Lake Michigan). I might check it out.

Anyway, I'll check in later.

Sheann
287/267/150
Old 07-12-2002, 10:22 AM   #126  
"I'm working on it!"

Thumbs down FRIDAY ALREADY?

Where has the week gone!

I'm starting into my 3rd day of DETOX!! I'm doing pretty good so far. Went out Wednesday and bought loads of fresh fruit and veggies. I have no BIG craving for chocolate even tho TOM is due any day. Unusual for me. If I feel I want something sweet, I grab some fruit. I'm down 1 lb since Wednesday! That puts me at 170. Let's hope I can get below that for next WIW.

Went shopping with my cousin yesterday at IKEA. Had lunch there. Meatballs and I got steamed veggies instead of the potato. Tomorrow will be more of a challenge since we're going to a family BBQ. I'm sure I can pick a couple of things to eat.

GRACIOUS--WOW! You go girl! Can ya send whatever magical east coast thing that is making you drop so much over my way? Actually, I think I'm not doing too bad. Can I ask how tall you are? We started out about the same and are close now and have close goal weights.

JACKK--the cookies are gone. Chocolate is still here but as long as I don't start into it, I'll be fine. If I really feel I want to have a chocolate, I'll be tossing out that box!

SHEANN--I'm so glad your son is home and that his family is supporting him. I hope he can get well soon. WTG on your recommittment.

ROSALIE--WTG for your choices at the BBQ. How are you enjoying your grill? I use mine all the time and wonder how you're doing with yours.

DEB--The KiSweet is pretty expensive--especially with the conversion to American money. That's why I was trying to get input before I even thought about ordering it.

QUILTER--My kitchen is navy blue and white. The navy is almost black. I had to go back twice to have them make it darker! DH thought I was nuts but I could picture it in my head. Cabinets are white with navy counters. We have white wainscotting from the floor to about a third of the way up the wall. Trims are in natural wood. We were gonna paint them white, but liked the look of the natural. Led to natural wood accents like our farm table and chairs etc. Glad you like the gas stove. For some reason a gas range scared me (probably from hearing horror stories from my mother). I've heard they are much better for cooking on. Great idea for the pots. Enjoy your new kitchen.

HELLO to all I missed!

WELCOME to all that have joined the board!

Ok, DS wants to "do something" so I better get.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:41 AM   #127  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Friday Morning!

Just a quickie once again, will do a mega post later today-have to get out and do a few things before the kids get out of school.

I have a project for you all to work on this weekend. I would like everyone's participation, but of course, nothing is mandatory. Come Monday, if you would all have something to post for Motivational Monday, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like you to post something YOU have found motivating when it comes to this WOE. Even if it's something that's been posted here in the past, copy it and put it up on Monday. Is there something you refer to when the going get's tough, post it. A special quote that makes this WOE easier, post it - you get my drift? I'm going to e-mail this to everyone as well, just in case someone isn't on the board over the weekend, don't want anyone to miss the chance to get their part of the project in. If you have any questions, just e-mail it to me. GOOD LUCK at picking something out

Later!!!

Debbie
Old 07-12-2002, 10:46 AM   #128  
Wannabe skinny babe

Unhappy Need that apple a day!

Happy Friday! Boy, am I GLAD this week’s almost over!

Doctor update – she ordered thyroid tests, along with standard blood stuff, so we’ll see if that’s a factor. I also have to go in for an ultrasound on my gallbladder, for those horrible stomach pains I get from time to time. Also, according to their scale, I’m at 188!

Here’s my problem. She said that if my thyroid checks out normal, then it’s possible my initial weight gain (50+ lbs. in less than two years) came from my birth control pills. Sorry if that’s TMI – I don’t know who else to ask about this! She wants me to go off of them if my thyroid checks out normal, to see if my weight drops.

Now, remember I’m getting married in October. I will continue to take the pill until the wedding. But are the hormones enough to keep my weight up? We weren’t planning on having a baby until I get my degree in 12/2004. I am terribly afraid if I go off the pill that we’ll end up with a child much sooner. On the other hand, I owe it to myself, Dan, and my family (and future family!) to lose this weight and get back to a healthy size.

Anyone have advice on this? I know I’m probably being silly, and if the Lord gives me a family, then it’s in HIS timing, and not mine. But I guess I’m still concerned about the family planning alternatives.

Sorry for the rambling – Dan and I had a talk about it last night, and I’m still considering the options. If anyone wants to reply privately to me, that’s okay too.

I’m hoping to get on this weekend and catch up on all the posts. Have a good day!

Jenn
Old 07-12-2002, 11:06 AM   #129  

ZANNE- I attribute my great losses this past week to exercise, drinking lots of water and cutting down on my carbs.

I am 5' 8.5" tall and originally thought I would go for 160 lbs as my goal. I did a bit of research and it seems that 154 should be my goal. All I know is, when in high school I was an awesome size 7 and weighed in the mid 140's. I have since had 3 kids and am 34 so I think that 154 is attainable and maintainable. I am presently wearing size 10 and 12 with a few 14's thrown in to keep me humble! I would like to be a true size 10 when I get to goal.

How tall are you?
Old 07-12-2002, 11:32 AM   #130  

Hello!

Thought I'd try to get caught up on some posts before I have to leave the house this morning.

Music, your kid's rooms look adorable from the pics. I also have a pool that I've hardly been in this summer. I'm with you, when it is too hot I just want to stay inside.

Country, I cooked your stuffed peppers recipe last night and it was delicious and very filling. Everyone especially loved the sliced smoked sausage that was included. I used the Turkey kind to cut down on the fat content. Thanks for sharing it. Did you ever get that treadmill put together? What a sweet time you had on the walk with your youngest. A moment to treasure for sure. Seems like when they get into their teens, those moments get more elusive! Looks like you have a little piece of heaven there on your 10 acres. I love the pic of the Blue Bells, how gorgeous.

Jack-K, thanks for the info on the red wine. I normally prefer a sweet wine and also like Zinfindel a lot too. I've been trying to find a red one that I like since my Doc specifed it. I have found a Cabernet Sauvignon that isn't too dry for my taste. I have finally found the secret to some wines, thanks to my buddy of culture, Tranquil. Like a dummy, I never realized that some wine is meant to be drank at room temperature and actually tastes much better.
I had the wrong impression that wine was only good if chilled. I still don't have a glass every night like I'm supposed to, so I get around to it a few times a week. I see my Doc again on the 25th so I'm hoping my cholesterol is much lower so I don't have to take pills for it. I guess an occasional margarita wouldn't hurt, as long as you don't over do it, like some people we know!

chris, I took a peek at your picture and how pretty you are! Congrats on no more double chin. Can't wait to get there myself!

jbug, come on back on board! I think that a lot of us have been run over by that wagon! I would of had a problem staying away from that delicious trail mix too.

Debbie, can't wait to hear of your latest shopping adventure as soon as you are rested enough to share!

Tranquil, what is we find the set of WATP tapes and just share the cost? It might be more economical than you buying just one tape. I could use the one or two mile tape at my house and you could use the three. You know me, I never want to walk that far anyway!

Quilter, Yummy to the salmon and sweet potatoes, one of my favorite meals, especially with Tranquil's special sauce on the salmon. I love the idea about the hooks for the pots and pans. My microwave that is over my stove, is about to die and too expensive to replace. I might just take it out and use that space like you did. Paul wouldn't mind if I borrow his idea now would he?
Glad you saw the pic of Tranquil and I. She is always pretty but it is hard to tell me from my hounds at times. The French waiter was gorgeous and had a personality to match. And, yes, he got a HUGE Tip!!!! I hope you have a great visit with KTK today. I think anyone would have a fun time visiting with you! I can't wait to see pics from the visit. I will have to answer your questions about my hounds later, as I've got to get busy here. Believe me, I will probably tell you more than you want to know as I always have lots to say about my furkids.

Well, I would appreciate your prayers and thougts today as I am going to pick up my 17 y/o DS and bring him home. He has been away for a few months in juvenile programs and the situation was very difficult with him before he got arrested. My soon ex-2-b doesn't want him in the house, however, he is coming home anyway. Needless to say, their relationship is not a good one. I don't know what kind of fireworks may be going off around my house tonight. My DD of almost 14, has exhibited some disturbing behavior this week so I have been dealing with that too. I think she will have to be grounded until she is 18. Anyway, I know that life is always full of stress of some kind, I just wish it didn't seem to always happen all at one time. The good thing is, I am not wanting to eat the comfort foods like I would have before SB.

Gotta get going and will check in later.

Take care,
Wendy
Old 07-12-2002, 12:57 PM   #131  
sef

HiedieHo All!!

Busy day, NH, shopping, and tonight have the HFH BOD meeting. Just thought I'd take a minute to check in.

SERENE: You might find that SB will bring your chloresterol levels down. It helped mine. You can have a occasional glass of wine. I just haven't bothered. I LIKE that doctor! Stitching is easy! All you have to do is be able to count! Recognize symbols for each color, keep stitches in same direction and you're off and running!! Prayers for you and family.

GRACIOUS: I was one week short of my 22nd birthday. Now evry body waits, no thats not so. They live together but they don't get married! What's a piece of paper they say? It's commitment, I think. They also don't realize the legal ramifications of living together. I have seen some real messes when one is sick and the other has no say for instance. I was never sorry or felt I missed anything by being married at that age and for the next 31 years!

JRED: Did you get your closet fixed?

TRISH: Think positive about your trip. You'll be able to stay OP.

JACKK: So tired yet you got out there and walked! WTG! RE: The chicken recipe. I used one can of diced tomatoes and one can of plain sauce. The liquid was a little too thin, not very saucy. I think the next time I will use a can of paste rather than sauce. I guess the chicken was really juicy. I will say though, that the flavor was great!

JBUG: You know you can come back! We miss people when they aren't here!

This is not getting the housecleaning done!

Shirley
Old 07-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #132  
sef

FRIDAY FUNNY

Ole and Sven were fishing when Sven pulled out a cigar but didn't have a lighter so he asked Ole for a light.

"Ya, shure, I tink I haff a lighter," he replied and reached into his tacklebox and pulled out a 12-inch BIC lighter.

"Yiminy Cricket!" exclaimed Sven, "Vhere did yew get dat monster??

"Vell," replied Ole, "I got it from my Genie."

"You haff a genie?" Sven asked.

"Ya, shure, he's right here in my tackle box," said Ole.

"Could I see him?"

Ole opens his tackle box and out pops the genie.

The friend says, "Hey dere! I'm a good friend of your master. Vill you grant me vun vish?"

"Yes I will," the genie said, so Sven asks him for a million bucks and the genie hops back into the tackle box and leaves him standing there waiting for his million bucks.

Suddenly the sky begins to darken and the sound of a million ducks flying overhead is heard.

Sven yells to Ole, "I asked for a million Bucks, not Ducks!"

Ole answers, "Ya, I forgot to tell yew, da genie is hard of hearing. Do yew really tink I asked him for a 12-inch BIC?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:03 PM   #133  
sef

FRIDAY FUNNYSister Margaret had been a model nun all her life, but then she was
called to her reward. As she approached the pearly gates, Saint Peter said, "Hold on, Sister Margaret...not so fast!"

"But I have been good all my life and dedicated to the work of the Lord.
From the time I was taken in as an infant by the sisters at the convent
to my dying breath... I have lived for this moment!" Sister Margaret exclaimed in disbelief.

"That is just the problem...you never learned right from wrong and to
get into heaven, you must know the difference between right and wrong," replied St. Peter.

"Well, what can I do? I will do anything to get into heaven!" Sister
Margaret pleaded.

"I am going to have to send you back down to Earth. When you get there, I want you to smoke a cigarette and call me when you are finished ... we will discuss your situation then," ordered St. Peter.

Sister Margaret returns to Earth, smokes a Camel, and then called St.
Peter coughing and hacking. "Saint Peter" she gasped, "I can hardly breathe, my mouth tastes terrible, my breath stinks, I feel dizzy, and I think I am going to throw up!"

"Good!" replied the old saint, "Now you are finally getting a feel for
right and wrong. Now go out tonight and drink some hard liquor and call me immediately."

Sister Margaret phoned St. Peter shortly after taking several belts of
Jack Daniels. "Saint Peter...I feel woozy...that vile liquid burned my throat and nauseated me...it is all I can do to keep it down."
_
"Good ... good! Now you are starting to see the difference between right and wrong" said St. Peter with delight. "Tomorrow I want you to seek out a man and know him in the Biblical sense, then call me."
_
A week later, Sister Margaret called St. Peter and left a message: "Hey, Pete ..._ It's Peggy. I'm gonna be a while."

_
Old 07-12-2002, 01:05 PM   #134  
sef

FRIDAY FUNNY
Because the Taliban cannot stand nudity and consider it a sin to see a
naked woman who is not one's wife, next Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. EST, all North American women are asked to walk out of their houses completely naked to help weed out any neighborhood terrorists.

Circling your block for one hour is recommended for this antiterrorist effort.

All men should position themselves in lawn chairs in front of their
homes to prove that they think it's OK to see other women nude. (Since the enemy does not approve of alcohol, a cold six-pack at your side is further proof ofyour anti-Taliban sentiment.)

Notify the appropriate authorities of any people who do not
participate.

Your efforts to root out terrorists will be greatly appreciated and
indicate your desire to demonstrate your patriotism. To achieve 100%
participation, alert other similarly minded patriots
Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #135  

OK – Whew… I told ya’ll about ordering the Firm tapes… Well, I got them yesterday. I tried out the one they recommended to start out with last night and MAN, I AM OUT OF SHAPE!! It was a cardio workout with some weight lifting mixed in and some stepping with their “fanny lifter”. I can really tell that my fanny got a workout. Every muscle in my fanny is sore – Some I didn’t even realize were there!! My arms, legs, but, abs are all aching today – but in a good way. I couldn’t finish the tape (its 50 minutes long), but it said beginners shouldn’t expect to finish on the first time, so that made me feel better. The aerobic part left me feeling quite uncoordinated – I couldn’t keep up. By the time I figured out exactly what to do, they were doing something else! It was fun though – I had sweat running down my back and plan to do it sometime again tomorrow (they say to rest a day in between at first).

I’m by myself at work today, so I gotta run. Catch up with ya’ll gals later!

tv
Closed Thread