Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: In an average month, how often would you find yourself eating fish??
Never! 2 6.25%
Once in a very blue moon, maybe every few months, few times a year 1 3.13%
Maybe once a month 5 15.63%
Once every couple weeks 9 28.13%
Once a week 8 25.00%
Few times a week 4 12.50%
Other 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #61  
Child of God

Angry

H everyone! I have been MIA for a few days now. I have been looking in, pretty slow wekk. I have been really down in the dumps. My hubby is pretty set in his ways and he wants divorced. It is not that...it is just the fact that I strongly do not believe in it and feel so confused. He is really mean, not loving, and so abusive in a verbal/emotional way. I have not worked in 5+ years, plus now have 5 kids. The thought of going back to work really makes me frightened and sad. I know God will take care of things. Of this I am sure...but I feel like I am in limbo.
Well....enough of my whining! Just pray for strength for me and kindness for Dan.

TAR is tonight!!! It looks like it will be a good one! I am so excited about the Survivor and CSI shows coming up.

Good news....I did 6.6.....yes, 6.6 miles on the bike last night. I seem to be doing about 12 MPH. I was so happy, and tired!
TOM should be here and day....but I did not go up in weight....still 123! I also got one of those body fat pincher thing....it said 20%. The thing is, I can not do the back of my arm right. Next time I do it it will probably be 23%...To me the thing I want is are the % close enough....with time and practice, it says it will be more consistant.

I hope all is well for everyone...sorry I did not address anyone personally. I have been so busy...gotta go again!
Old 05-15-2002, 05:05 PM   #62  

Hi Everyone

Just checking in for WIW. The scale was a little kinder to me this morning. I am down 1.5 pounds from last week. I am now at 199 pounds on my ds's digital scale which weighs 5.5 pounds more than my mechanical scale. I've been using both for the last couple of months but have decided it would be easier to keep to the digital reading. It means upping my weight from what I had been charting but it just doesn't make any sense to keep flipping from one to the other. I have to accept that I am now 199 and not 193.5 which I am on the old scale . I will just up my starting weight so it will still reflect the total amount I have lost since starting this woe which now stands at 41.5 pounds. I had really upped the carbs for a few days this week until the last couple of days when I cut down again. I must have shocked the body into losing that 1.5 pounds. Deb kindly looked at my journal and pointed out a few things to me which made me realise how many starchy carbs I had been having on many days. Most of it legal but just too much of it. The biggest problem I find tho is keeping the fat percentage down. On most days it is fairly high but I find on some days when I really cut down on the carbs it can really boost the fat percentage. So that is the next thing I have to work on.

I've been experimenting in the kitchen to-day. I made something called Besan Ladoo - it's an East Indian cookie made with chick pea flour. It has ground almonds and cashews and cardamom added. I used fructose instead of the sugar called for in the recipe. It felt a little dry trying to get it shaped into balls but they tasted good. I may try using agave next time and see how it turns out. It would make a good (occasional) sweet snack which is low glycemic.

I thought some of you might be interested in the following article that I found in the newspaper to-day as I know some of you take GLUCOPHAGE/METFORMIN:

Quote:
Diabetes drug could be fatal - Study warns of complications

CHICAGO (AP) — A significant number of patients with diabetes are inappropriately prescribed a common drug that potentially could kill them, a study suggests. The study on metformin, also sold as Glucophage, is one of several on diabetes published in today's Journal of the American Medical Association.

It's the first JAMA issue devoted entirely to research on diabetes, which has reached epidemic levels and afflicts about 17 million people in the United States. In Ontario, more than 192,000 men and more than 152,000 women suffer from the disease. Diabetes impairs the body's ability to produce or make proper use of insulin, resulting in elevated blood sugar levels that can damage the kidneys, heart, eyes and other organs. Glucophage helps the body use insulin and is among the most common drugs for Type II diabetes, which is linked to obesity and is sometimes called adult-onset.

The drug package insert warns that Glucophage can cause a rare side effect called lactic acidosis, a build-up of lactic acid in the blood that is fatal in about half of all cases. The label says the drug should not be taken by patients who have kidney disease or take drugs for heart failure. But the U.S. study showed that nearly one-fourth of patients — 100 Glucophage outpatient prescriptions — met at least one of the criteria concerning kidney disease or medication for heart failure.

Recent research from Harvard Medical School and Public Citizen Health Research Group suggested that doctors don't pay close enough attention to drug warning labels.

Gracious - Sorry to hear about the budgie but it was nice that he wanted to wait for daddy to give it a proper burial. You commented on the price of milk in Ontario compared to NB. It's been a long time since it was 2.99 down here. Most places sell it for 3.99 which is still better than what you are paying. Hope you can stay awake long enough to greet dh this evening.

Deb - Congrats to Michael for doing so well in school. You must be a very proud mommy. Hope everything is well with your sister to-day and you get there in time to do some butt-rubbing..

Jack-K - Glad everything went well for your dd to-day.

Toni - I'm not sure when you said you have to go to the other hospital but I hope everything turns out o.k.

Sorry I can't respond to you all. I have to go and put my feet up for a while as I have been standing too long in the kitchen to-day and will be going out to badminton again this evening. I was there last night and had a good workout but ended up with sore feet. I went swimming this morning to try and loosen things up. They are still a little sore but a bit better than they were.

Congrats to all the losers this week and everyone else just hang in there.

Bye for now.

Marie.
240.5/199/190(for now)
Old 05-15-2002, 05:31 PM   #63  

Heartmom - oh what a cutie! Boogie has a wonderful smile!

Deb - congrats to Michael! I, like Gracious, am a biology major, and am impressed by those who do well in chemistry. My minor was a Math/Chem/Physics split (built into the major), and boy did I struggle through those. After a particularly grueling organic chemistry class, one night I actually dreamed a big chalkboard where equations were appearing and disappearing, and I had to figure out if they were right or wrong, AND how to fix them. I woke up very tired THAT morning! Give me biology anytime! Sounds like Michael is in a great school.

Slaphappy & Nance - try Burt's Bee's Lip balm. It has a minty feeling, and is slightly addictive!

Tranquil - moving to Tucson (again), soon I hope. We're actually looking in the Avra Valley area which is near Marana. My parents live near Santa Rita HS on Pantano & Irvington. I think it was Swensens that had the pig trough ice cream - sixteen scoops or so? Did you ever try it? I do love the sunsets on the mountains, and the wide open spaces. Tucson has really grown. They're building houses everywhere.

Kimmy - I hope things work out alright for you. I have a friend who was in a similar situation, he wanted a divorce, she didn't due to her religious beliefs. He divorced her anyway (allowed in her state), and went off with his girlfriend. Now she has a wonderful husband who adores her, and they have 2 children together. She is so much happier, but couldn't see how unhappy she was until her ex was out of the picture. Good luck to you. Hang in there.

Jenn - I believe one of my friends had her reception a month or two after they were married. Since one has a whole year to give a wedding gift, what's wrong with the newlyweds having a whole year to plan a reception?

Jenn & Toni - when I was doing WW, they had a guide for portions using your hand. Anybody know it? All I remember was that one serving of meat should be the size of a fist. Usually one half of a chicken breast ended up being 1-1/2 to 2 servings.

Music - DH should be home in another week or so. I don't know the exact date, as the river is making the decisions! Ha Ha! Yeah, 100 degrees! And that's only the tip of the iceberg! Well, that really is the wrong analogy. Anyway, it will get a lot hotter, but usually that's in July & August. At least Tucson is usually cooler than Phoenix. There's a t-shirt they sell here that says "Arizona - but it's a dry heat", it overlooks a picture of two skeletons sunbathing on patio chairs.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:06 PM   #64  

Good evening everyone. Had a case of the lazies all day. Didn't even get up till 9:30 this morning... And then to find that I'd only lost 1/2 lb. LOL, maybe I don't like my new Mother's Day scale. So I'm still not out of the dang 190's. I've got to check my eating closer and see where I'm messing up...

Rosalie- Congrads on your loss. And getting out of the 200's. You've really lost well. I think the fat is my problem too... Your cookies sound yummy. I'll have to send that report you posted to my sis who's diabetic. Thats really scarey. I go Friday to the breast center. Thank you for your good thoughts.

Kimmythekid-Oh Kimmy I'm so sorry. Theres nothing happy or cheerful to say when you have to go through this much pain. Just knowing you will get through it and just take each day as it comes, knowing you have lots of friends here that are careing about you allot.. Just trust in God... My prayers are with you.... Oh my gosh I can't believe you did 6.6 miles. Wow and I can barley walk a mile. Congradulations! Bet next week you have a loss...

Jenn in MN-Sounds like you're going to marry a heck of a man, lady. How wonderful of him to think you're that important and do that. Thank you for the good thoughts. Guess I'll know more Friday..

Nancemeister-Oh no not your air too. I hope its just a recharge. What a good idea with the wet robe. Sounds like you did pretty good at the resturant...

Music Teach- Sounds like things are really busy with you right now so maybe this coming week will be better with the eating OP. Its good you stayed the same.... Thanks for your good thoughts..

Heartmom- Heck yes thats a good thing, you got those found lbs. off. Now you've got a whole new week to do. I'm sure you'll have a good week..

Jack-K-Yea for 1 pound. Thats great and bet you would have weighed less if you had got on the scale early this morning. Glad your daughter is fine.. And thats awful she was so scared. Thats a horrible feeling.. And it is so very scarey in the hospital.

Tranquil-Sorry you didn't lose but sounds like it gave you new insintive so go girl.... Thanks for the good wishes, I'm not sure but it isn't supposed to be there and can be cancerous. I wish I knew more about it.

Quivondra-Good luck at the gym tonight. OOO I would love to have a pedicure on my narley feet.. I hope you enjoy Florida and I'll bet if you get some walking in and you can find marvelous food there.... I hope the weather turns out fine and the weather man is full of hoo hoo....

lizery- you hoo downward trend congradulations...

vesnoid-Oh my gosh only 6 more lbs. to goal. Wow..... You're doing soooooo good... Thanks for the encourageing words...

Gracious-So glad you held your own after Mother's Day. That shows you jumped back on the program.... I'm with you I love this board and feel so comfortable here. Thanks to so many great people..

Debelli- Congrads on your son.

Guess I'll head off now and go for my walk. It should be cool enough soon.... Have a good night all....
Old 05-15-2002, 06:37 PM   #65  

First of all, let me say THANK-YOU to all of you for your prayers, your words of encouragement, & last but certainly NOT least, the welcome back to the board. It really does warm my heart to know that I have such caring friends out there. My sister is trying to get a hold of her life & taking one day at a time like the rest of us & also appreciates your prayers, as I do.

Now, I did not get to read all the posts, but I need to address a few things that I did see.

Missy, I'm sorry, I emailed SEF about Sat. the 18th & neglected to email you too. I have a nephew who is getting married Sat, which I didn't know about at the time we made these plans, so I'm not going to be able to make it the 18th, but CERTAINLY would like to rearrange a get-together with the 3 of us sometimes after your surgery!

Marie, Thanks for posting that bit on Glucophage. How alarming to find this out! I give that drug soooooo often as a nurse & never realized the danger in it. I will certainly copy this & post it at the nurse's station as well as give a copy to my doctor. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that we are giving more Avandia lately. Regardless, it's something that we need to be aware of.

Kimmy So sorry to hear the trail that you are going through right now. My prayers go out to you & your household!

Well ladies, I've got to run. Again, thanks for all the support. You gals are the greatest!!!

Oh, BTW, scale down to 135 this am.

And for all of you who work in the Medical field, I missed wishing you NURSES Happy Nurse's Day last week, But we are observing Hospital week this week with lots of things going on at our hospital. So for all of you who work in the hospital setting... HAPPY HOSPITAL WEEK!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #66  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Another quickie update...

Well, my sister FINALLY pushed BAILEY out! It seemed to take forever. I was at the hospital from about 11:30am til 6:30pm. I was able to find a parent to take my proctoring schedule so was able to be there all day. Les wasn't progressing very well and finally, when she was between 3-4cm the nurse broke her water. Then the contractions started to come quicker, but when she checked her again, she was only at 4cm. Then she had some really strong contractions and she was checked again at 5cm-they called the Dr. and told him to come now, as he told them to call when she got to 5cm-he didn't make it, they had to grab a Dr. who was in another room, she had the baby about 5 minutes later. She went from 5cm to 9cm in less than 5 minutes.

She's very cute, 7lb 1oz, the biggest of her girls yet, but not that big really. Stayed for a while after so I could help my BIL bring up the girls and my nephew when my Mom drove up with them.

Though I didn't do a thing after I got there, I'm pooped!!!

Oh, and to top all the things I have going on this week, ELI'S sister just called to say she was in town, left to go to the west coast and will be back Sunday or Monday and wants to stay here with us. MY HOUSE IS A TOTAL DISASTER!!!! Seems I'll be killing myself to get this place in some sort of presentable shape before Sunday-if I can just now find the time!!!

Just skimmed the board VERY quickly-thanks for all the congrats for Michael, I will convey them all to him. Now I cross my fingers for Lauren, she just told me she's been nominated for a science award, so crossing my fingers she'll win!!!

Anyhow, that's it for me, I'm going to get undressed and lay on the couch and veg out-it's been a long day.

Hope all is well with everyone!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
194/12?/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 05-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #67  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!!

BOB UPDATE

Family starts arriving tomorrow...don't know how much I'll be able to get on the computer..but I'll try.

Good thoughts for my Nephew and Tracy as they take their vows on Saturday evening...

CONGRATS on the new Niece Deb...

everyone...

Later

BOB
Old 05-15-2002, 10:20 PM   #68  

Default scale same

hi guys,

i weighted the same thing this morning...But i sence a woosh. I wonder if i am in ketosis. I sweat allot. This morning i was talking to a co-worker,it was 9:30 in the am, she said "why are you sweating?" looking at me like i'am a freck.

meet a co-worker(i work at a department store), a cashier, she told me she lost 100lbs in 2 months drinking milk. She can't eat meat, because of stomach problems. 2 years after the diet, she feels like she's been gaining weight. She thought she couldNOT gain weight, because her weight was stable for 2 years. She is really severe when it comes to dieting. she is about to do fruit only for days to loose what she gained.

still at 0 carbs today, fat intake was lower than other days.

thanks everyone for thinking of my friend. She has not shed a tear.Everyone came rushing to her home to comfort her and help out, she ended up comforting her visiters and helpers. her huband is devastated.(she said she had to be strong for him), and their only child now, a girl, is just as her mother, no tears. Doctors are keeping a close look, for fear that the mother might break down mentally ,i guess. The funeral was well attended. WELL ATTENDED.It reminded me of 9-11, when everyone got together, not because they knew each other, but because it was RIGHT, AND THE ONLY THING TO DO......
Old 05-15-2002, 11:48 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

lowco- she is still in denial. I imagine when everyone is gone and things settle down a bit, it will hit her. But the best thing anyone can do is not to forget about her and check in daily with her. She needs support. People don't know what to do or say when someone passes- sometimes it is best to not say anything, just be there for a shoulder to cry on.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #70  

Talking Thursday

Hubby arrived home and I am sooo happy! Mind you, I was asleep when he got home so just greeted him and cuddled him as I fell back asleep. I haven't mentioned it but I have still been sick. Since that first batch of pneumonia, now 1 month ago, it seemed to go then come back, go and now it is back again. This is nuts. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and I hope I can get on the mend soon. I have just been keeping things going. I am a high energy person usually and this has dragged me down. I have been going to sleep really early ....like 8 and 9 pm and falling into a deep sleep because I am exhausted. I am sure we will have a better reunion today. He had to drive the kids to school but we will have this afternoon and tonight to get caught up.

I bring my 3 year old into the nurse today to get the pre-school eye and ear checks. Mothers of more than 1 kid out there might have suggestions for me. He is 3 1/2 years old and has been potty trained for ages. I babysit the newborn and 2 year old who isn't pottytrained. My son has started to wet his pants and a few times has dirtied his pants. I was in shock. It is so unlike him but he started this about 3 weeks ago now and I can't get him to stop. I think it is because he sees this other kid doing it. I have talked to him, praised him, punished him...you name it..I am at my wits end. What do I do???

VESNOID- Sadly, I have not been doing my butt crunches or anything since the pneumonia. I was getting a really nice exercise plan there and then it went out the window when I couldn't breathe cause the pneumonia. Now I am so dragged out and still sick I just can't bring myself to get exercising.

DEBELLI-Congrats on the niece!! So nice you were able to be there. ACK! Houseguests at a time like this? Bummer...I hate having to run around like a chicken with my head cut off ...but you are going to have to do it for her arrival. Hope you make it!

KIMMY-I am so sorry to hear this. Since my hubby is a Pastor and I know how much your faith means to you, might I make a suggestion? If you haven't already, please go speak to your Pastor and get his counsel. You need someone to help you through this. By the sounds of it Dan is not willing to go with you so go alone for your sake and the kids. Praying for you {hugs}.

TONI- I am thinking about you as well and the breast screening you will be going to. I know this is a scary thing and practically impossible to stay calm...but not impossible with God's help!

TREE- That dream was a nightmare! I can still recite the periodic table and can think of formulas...mind you, I have no idea what they mean anymore! Good old biology.....memorize the book and you get an A! I can memorize but don't ask me to problem solve.

Oh great..son peed himself again. *sigh* Gotta go.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #71  
Child of God

Good morning all! The weather is looking pretty gloomy out there....but yesterday was beautiful.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I know I will be fine. It just sucks. I know I am very unhappy with him....but I still would like to work it out. Oh well..

Gracious....
My pastor and I are very close. I turned to him a year ago and have been turning to him ever since. He knows everything and we have probably spent 20 hours or more talking about that situation. He has advised me well. I have followed his advise too...which is good for me...LOL. As for seeing someone, we did. It was out 3rd person. As soon as Dan hears something he does not like, he wants to quit. This last time it was a Christian man. He told Dan flat out that he was the problem...long story. Dan actually went back, but never ever listened to one word that was said. Dan is an angry man, coming from a line of abuse. I am a pretty up-beat positive person. He draggs me and the kids down...puts us down and has hit me and threatened me before. It really is bad all the way around. I know w/ the power of God, he could change...but Dan hates my faith in Christ...even tho he is Catholic...but does not really go to church.
I could go on here, but I have aired my dirty laundry too much

Everyone....WTG on the loses!

Melf....
Glad you are back. I had forgotten who had lost their nephew and right before you came back had asked about "that person". I hope you and your family are ok.

Local....
I lost my brother when I was 16 and I was in denial...or did not mourn for 2 years. I did cry the first night or so...but shut down for 2 years. It is not rare. I hope and pray for your friend and her family! The mom is probably in total shock and not letting her feeling come to surface yet. I hope she lets people help her and lets them inside!

TAR....I wanted the brother and sister to win....but that was a really good show! That Tara and Will....man, that gal was something!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Thursday Everyone.

Well I am totally exhausted. Don't know if it is from climbing those stairs 20 times yesterday taking care of DD or just from the mental fatigue. Of course I never climb those stairs because of my RA, but with 67 less pounds to tote up and down it was easier. I also had bunco at my house last nite. People didn't leve until 12:30. DD was up at 4:30 in pain so guess that is why I am so tired. Cooked all day yesterday since I was home. Made pizza for last nite's dinner and meatloaf for tonite plus all the goodies for bunco, May a spinach and artichoke dip that was great. My dessert was hot fudge brownie sundaes. I ate some sf ice cream with walnuts. I really wanted a brownie though, but didn't. All the bowls of candy sitting around doesn't bother me.

It is crazy here at work. Have a presentation to go out tonite and Monday my company is putting on a golf tournament for some of our customers and guess who got the job, me. Supposed to have help, but the two guys have not done 1 thing. So I am going crazy putting all that together.

Skimmed the posts and put toether a few notes. Sorry if I missed someone, promis to do better next week.

Jackie
257/190/145
10-10-01
Old 05-16-2002, 09:59 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Dah,
If would have been ncie if I would have copies my posts. Told you I'm exhausted.

Heartmom, Boogie's picture is adorable. How is he doing. He looks great.

Nance, glad yu didn't feel the earthquake.

Toni, My thought are with you on your manogram. Most calcifications are just that. Keep a postive outlook.

Jenn, You are very lucky to have such a understanding and supportive fiance.

Kimmy, So sorry to hear about your problem. If he is that mean and abusive, you will be better off. You are too nice of a person to have to live with that. Didn't you say he was a cardiologist? You shouldn't have to work and with 5 kids, it wouldn't pay you to work. With your new body, you will be finding someone who can really appreciate you for who you are. Keeping you in my prayers.

Deb, Congrats on your new niece. Bet she is a doll.

Lowco, Keeping your friend in my prayers. It will hit her soon I'm sure.

Gracious, hate thatyou are still feeling bad. Hope the Dr can solve your problem.

Jackie
Old 05-16-2002, 10:32 AM   #74  

Default Happy Thirsday

Hi:

Well I weighed again today in hopes of a big breakthrough - no gain/no loss at a standstill....but I am still trying. I cut the starchy carbs out for the rest of the week, and see if that helps. I ate a delicious dinner last night...I steamed fresh cauliflower and with it I ate Curried Chicken Salad I made fresh when I got home. Today I have leftovers for lunch - to continue with my good and healthy eating DS graduates 5th grade today - so I have that ceremony to attend in a few hours!

Kimmy - Dont forget Survivor tonight!!! Pretty exciting!!! and CSI.... Friends are coming over and this time THEY are bringing a SB dinner to enjoy. Through this rough time you are going through, remember to surround yourself with a good supprt system of friends and positive thinking people! Be strong!

Gracious - Glad your hubby is home safe and sound for snuggle bugging! Hope you get some relief from that illness!!!

Deb - Congrats on your new family addition!!!

Hello to all - I have to run to the graduation ceremony!!!

Ta Ta, Sabrina
Old 05-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #75  

Kim: I too am going through a divorce and I feel incredibly guilty about it. I do NOT want to be divorced but the facts are that he is never going to change and for the sake of my kids I have to protect them. I don't know your situation but there are some things that you simply do have to hand over to a higher source. I too am a SAHM and I refuse to go back to work until my youngest is in school. I do not have a trade that I could make decent money at so at this time my full time job will continue to be my family and home. I sure hope that everything goes smoothly for you.
Closed Thread