I have a question!

• Hi Ladies,

I am new to the SB plan myself. I do love it but I have a question. I know for the pasta you have to have whole wheat and not the white. But I found today a brand called Shur Fine and it is 100% Durum Wheat pasta. I looked durum up and it is wheat. But is it legal for SB? If so that would be great because they have the whole line of pasta including the angle hair pasta I like. I know I can get Hodgson or prince brand. I have bought them so far. But found this one. I can't get the Angel hair pasta in the other brands because the store can't get it. I know that the Hodgsons makes the angel hair pasta because I have seen it online.

If anyone can help me out. If this is legal then it would be great and I can feed it to my husband. It is not the dark color like the whole wheat. But they say that the durum is what gives it the amber color and it is not white in color. He won't even try the WW pasta because of the color. So I can get him to eat this and he would never know the difference.

Thanks,

Sherri
  • Lady - Welcome to SB. While it is preferable to eat whole wheat pasta it is o.k. to eat regular pasta occasionally. The important thing to remember when cooking pasta is that the longer it is cooked, the higher the g.i. If it is cooked al dente the gi can be as low as 50, even for the white pasta. You will find that most pasta is made from durum wheat so the one you have should be o.k. There is an article on our FOOD INFORMATION BOARD taken from MICHEL MONTIGNAC'S book "Eat Yourself Slim" which you might be interested in reading. Here is the link: http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=2365. The article was posted by Debelli, our moderator, on 5th November, 2000.

You are welcome to join us on our weekly support board. Just hit REPLY, not New Thread when posting from the Weekly Support Board. Any questions you have are more likely to be answered from the weekly board.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Marie.
  • Marie,

Thank you. So you are saying that the Durum Wheat is not a real wheat Pasta? If it is just the regular pasta then we are not supposed to have that.
    I will read the link you sent me. Thanks.

Sherri
  • Sherri - Sorry if you misunderstood me. There are different types of wheat and Durum wheat is just one kind. It is also considered to be the best type of wheat for making pasta and you will find that most pasta is made from Durum Wheat, (often called Durum Semolina). It is preferred that we use the whole wheat variety - this is the only one I eat now as I have gotten used to it and prefer it to the regular pasta. The one I use says on the label "Whole Wheat Durum Semolina". If it just says Durum Wheat it is a 'real wheat' but it is not whole wheat. But if you really don't like the whole wheat pasta I think it's acceptable to eat the regular pasta occasionally. JMHO. The article explains the differences of the gi between the whole wheat and the regular type and how the gi is affected by the length of time the pasta is cooked.

Marie.
  • Marie,

Thank you. I understand now. The pasta thing is confusing for sure. I did read the article but was confused. You cleared it up for me. Like the article said all pasta is made from durum wheat. I will stick with the whole wheat and not eat the other I got. Because I know it isn't as good. But I don't eat much pasta because they say if you are trying to lose not to eat much of it or the brown rice. But I will have the WW pasta tonight with my spaghetti.

Most of the SB I understand but some of the things are confusing whether I can have them or not.

Thank you for helping me out. I have not seen much of a difference on the scale in 4 weeks only a 3 3/4 lb loss. But I have dropped 1 whole pant size. So that makes me happy. So I am going to keep doing the SB plan. I incorporate the weight watchers points with the SB plan to ensure I am not overeating and it is really working. For me if I do not weigh and measure everything then I gain weight because I overeat without knowing it.

You have a great day.

I belong to TOPS and I normally post on that board. But I knew that someone here could answer my question. You have all been doing the SB plan for awhile. And now I see why you do. Someone over on that board got me into doing the SB plan and I am so glad I made the changes.

Sherri