Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What 1 statement below best describes why you chose now to try and lose weight?
I have a special event that's in the near future. 0 0%
To feel healthier and live longer 7 21.88%
My Dr. told me I better do it, or else! 1 3.13%
My husband/SO encouraged me to try. 0 0%
I hated what I was seeing in the mirror 12 37.50%
My clothes didn't fit anymore 3 9.38%
Someone made a comment about my weight 1 3.13%
I just knew it was time to take charge 5 15.63%
Finally hopped on the scale and was shocked! 2 6.25%
Nothing above so I choose, OTHER 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:53 AM   #121  
karen3000

Quick, before sleep -

Frog - glad you set me straight on crosstrainers. I never was really sure what they were.

Quilter - Should be a good Packer/Ram game. Packers traditionally have a problem on carpet or in domes, but some experts think if anyone can beat the Rams it's the Packers. My husband's brother lives in St. Louis and apparently was offered tickets. He's been in St. Louis 20 years or more, but still has a soft spot for the Packers. We're having friends over to watch the game and cheer them on. We will not, however, be wearing any cheeseheads - we don't own any! Join us in rooting for the Packers!!!! The snow is still pretty, but the forecast is for above freezing temps the next few days so we will probably lose it. The ski hills, snow plowers and businesses that cater to the snowmobilers are hurting. Glad I'm not in a weather-dependent business! Hey - give me some of your enthusiasm! Mines seems to be waning again!

Hi to everyone else - I' try to check the boards Sun. pm.

Karen

Old 01-20-2002, 07:09 AM   #122  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Sunday Morning Everyone

Seems the move went smoothley, glad to see the board back up and running! I took advantage of this little hiatus we had to catch up with all the posts. Didn't know the board was going to be shut down until about 20 minutes before it was, so I copied all the posts that had been posted since my last post and worked on replying to everyone.

I hit a few garage sales Saturday-not much out there, really pissed myself off at one, missed out on a brand new leather office chair that just needed wheels, $5.00-and Eli asked me to find one for him-what was I thinking, or not thinking? I hate when that stuff happens to me, hard to let it go and not feel crappy about it.

I went to the annual art show they have at the UofM-it was a great show this year and I actually bought something! It's a dog made of old scrap metal-it's so cute. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it-I couldn't resist! I never bought anything with the money I got for my bday, so I treated myself. The guy was so busy, you wouldn't believe it. ZANNE, what is it with you and these perogies? What's in them that's so good?? Aren't they like a raviloli type of thing? A man that's itching to spend money? That's a rarity!!

Having the family over later this afternoon for bday cake and ice cream for Lauren, so have to tidy up after her little party with her friends. Three of them slept over last night and will probably stick around til Noon.

Going to get ready and go for my walk/jog-wonder what it's like out there-probably hot and muggy!

Anyhow, here's what I got to work on last night...

KAREN, was at SPORTS AUTHORITY the other day, found one of the two pairs of shoes I've been contemplating about keeping there. I didn't see anything in black in running, I'll have to ask our resident expert FROG if I should stick to running, or if I could use all terrain/cross trainers-if so, that would open up more possibilities-thanks for thinking about me

BOB, so you are going to be my map reader? I hope you do a better job than Eli does-otherwise we'll end up in Spain!! LOL!! Hey, I think come our SB GET TOGETHER, I better bring some hummus, tahini and falafel mixes up with us! Sounds like we're all become token Middle Easterns!! I'll send Lauren your good bday wishes. What did you think about the 48 hours special they had??

MEL, your house sounds like mine when it comes to being prepared with food to get you through the storms, but of course, down here we don't have snow storms, but HURRICANES! We could eat forever on what I have stuffed in my cupboards! I told Eli, as long as we have tahini, loaves of pita (stuff doesn't go bad for weeks, just gets a little hard after some time), canned chick peas, some form of lemon juice, pasta and spgti sauce, we'd be just fine! Oh, and falafel mix and oil! Why are you using the meal protein drinks instead of actually eating the protein? That sure is a lot of protein for one shake! I bet there was something besides the maltodextrin in it the caused you to fly around the house-why don't you list the ingredients one day, would love to see them!

HAPPY, maybe the bakery was having an off day, or you just may not like the taste of spelt. Almond flour it okay, but boy, is it fattening! Here's a site that explains a bit about spelt: http://waltonfeed.com/self/spelt.html I think you already have figured out yourself that you aren't eating enough. I would suggest you try to have 1500-1600 calories a day. No legal pizza at Publix that I know of, something about those BISTROS made me not buy them. Better off making one yourself. Even making a pita pizza is good-and yummy! If you have a pic of yourself, you can send it to me and I can upload it for you-just let me know.

TREE, guru? LOL! I pictured myself like a swami!! LOL! Hope work settles down for you soon!!

SHEANN, thanks for joining me on the journaling next week-maybe we can convince others to do it, as we both know how beneficial it can be in this WOE!! LOL! Thank goodness I'm not the only one on this board that has trouble with baking once in a while Falafel is a Middle Eastern food made with mostly ground chick peas, along with other spices. They are fried and served either in pita bread with lettuce, tomato, etc. or as an appetizer-both served with a sauce. They're really good and I think I've gotten many people on the board hooked on them! I make mine from a mix-lots easier than doing it from scratch-but you have to find a good mix-some suck big time! All nuts are SB LEGAL, just be careful with the amounts you eat since they are so high in fat.

FILLISE, of course, we'd love you to join us for both SB EVENTS, but we'll take you for one if you can do both. That would be great if you'd be a member of TEAM STARBUCKS!!!! Good going on finding the WW tortillas-I love making a bean burrito. Can the HFS try to see if they can order the agave from their supplier-maybe they have it and the HFS just doesn't know about it. Tell them the brand is SWEET CACTUS FARMS, as I don't think anyone has CUCAMONGA in stock any more.

SEF, you made me tired just seeing your exercise regime! Gosh, I hope I have half your stamina when I get to be 65! The tea sounded wonderful and you can tell you enjoyed yourself. I'm sure those goodies didn't do any damage, the exercise probably offset it just fine. As long as you climb back in the wagon and steer it in the right direction, you'll be fine

RSIMON, boy you get up at those ungawdly hours! You remind me of my Grandmother, at the cottage, she'd get up and clang pots, slam cupboard doors, etc. etc at 4am-wanted to strangle her! LOL! You think your 52yr old memory is bad, I'm probaby right there with you at 40! Let us know how the creme brulee comes out-if I made something like that, I'd eat the whole thing!!!

NASCAR, here's hoping you'll be able to come to the OCT. GET TOGTHER-GA and NC aren't that far apart!!

THUNDER, hey, if you can get past the heat of the summer with being pregnant, you can do anything!!!! At least down here, when you have a child born before Sept. 1st, they get in the school year on time, otherwise, they have to wait til the following year to start. I made sure I got Michael out before the 1st-his bday is August 27th, so he'll granduate at 17yrs old-he's a baby in his class! TWINS! Oh boy (or girl, or both), could you imagine! Hope all goes well on Monday-do keep us informed!!!

FROG, how do you have 8 pages, I have only 3-how many post do you see on a page?? CONGRATS on the new car-drive it in good health. My Mom loves her Honda-has well over 100K miles in it and it continues to go strong! Hmm, I see your message to KAREN, so cross trainers are out! Hey, can you come clean my messy house too????

SOL, you are definitely more hyped than I am about the marathon, not that I'm not, but I think you are more so. As soon as I have your confirmation on NC, I'll sign up for TEAM STARBUCKS! That would be great if VINCE did it too-Eli sure as heck would be on the sidelines cheering us all on, definitely not running, or walking for that fact! BOB & ELI will root on the sidelines for us together-I'll stick them both in cheerleading uniforms!!! 4-4.5 miles-I'm totally impressed! I bet you you'll be jogging some before you know it-don't say no, like I did, and look at me now. The yogurt mixture is good too, Eli loves it with cucumber, but not with falafel-guess that comes from being brought up with the tahini being used on the falafels. He made bulgur, chickpeas and onions last night, served with plain yogurt-delish (and farty too!)

NANCE, sounds like your date with Dan the Man was a hoot! I can just see the two of you laughing your butts off! Good going on getting FARIS & NADIA a place to stay for the evening!!!! That would be a blast if you could come to NC-if you can get the flight over, the rest would be pennies!!! I'm SURE you could use a little R&R with the gals!! Will try to remember tomorrow night to call you-you WILL be home, right?

QUILTER, isn't a FINE BALANCE one of the OPRAH BOOKS? Sounds familiar. FROG can be our QUEEN OF SOUL, you ca be our BOOK BABE and give reviews! Umm you tell Mr. Paul there that he's gonna be in mighty BIG TROUBLE with the DUNGEON MASTER! Tell him to hit Baskin Robbins on his own-not to be the devil in disguise and bring it home to tempt you-what on earth is that man thinking! Send him down here so I can whip him into submission!! LOL!! Raspberries, ask NANCE about picking raspberries when we went to stay with her-I'm lucky I didn't get sick and turn red, like the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka did! I must of eaten pints and pints!!! My cushion is 119-124, hitting 118 is great, but I know there's only a range I'm going to stay at, not one certain number. I don't like being at the top of my cushion honestly, like it much better at 119, but I'm happy to be anywhere between these numbers and my goal is to stay there. I'm sooo jealous that you may go to Jungle Jims with BIGK!!!! What woman doesn't love shopping in some form or another?!? You're not able to find tortilla's made with WW flour?? We have some here that are great! The journaling won't make any more work for me, just a quick making of the board is all-I think it's going to be more work for the those who aren't use to journaling-me, it will be a piece of SB LEGAL CAKE!!

ROSALIE, was getting a wee bit worried about not having heard from you the last few days-almost sent out the Mounties looking for you! Sounds like you've been so busy-I swear, you and SEF do keep busy-you both should be poster gals for active seniors!!! Hey, before you know it, I bet your table tennis skills will be good enough for you to play the Chinese!! You KNOW, I will guarantee a get together if you come in March-which, usually is GREAT WEATHER! How the heck are you driving down with 11 people, in a caravan?? There are some great rates on suites in Orlando and being that it's not that busy, rates should be really good. Hope it's not the end of March, as I'm going to NC-let us know your plans.

And with that, I'm outta here. I'll check in with you all later. Please remember, we start the new board tomorrow and it's MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY so if you have any words of wisdom, quotes, etc. that you'd like to share with the board, please, try to post them tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Debbie
194/122.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 01-20-2002, 08:08 AM   #123  

Good morning everyone!

Glad to see the board came back up in one piece. Wish the systems I work on were that easy to move. We have a great system admin here!!

This is week 2 for me and I feel so much better than I did before
I started. I want to kick myself for staying away as long as I did.

Are any of you sewers? I went thru my Summer/Spring stash yesterday and picked out some sage green linen to make a jacket. But - alas - I only have 1.5 yds and I want a longer jacket. Think I'll trek out to Joann Fabrics later and see if I can find a pattern to fit it. It motivated me to do more sewing.

Solshine - I can already feel you on my shoulder!! I have been REALLY good so far and did the blueberry thing this AM - YUM!!
- but I heated them up separately. I think I'll try your approach tomorrow.

Deb - what day will we be doing the journaling thing? Just thinking about it has made me more conscious (is that a word?) of what I'm eating. I should probably do it all the time. Do you always journal?

Fillise - how do your season your Fajitas? I can't seem to find a seasoning like the way they do it in the restaurants. I love Fajitas - but you know Deb - I still make your burrito recipe using Fat Free beans and Enchilada sauce.

Kim- Molly's Tea Room is in Medina.. my sister lives in Brunwick so its not too far. It is absolutely delightful - very quaint, lacy, and everyone gets their own real English china teapot and cup. And the food is wonderful too. Then you can buy the china there. I just love it - its what started me collecting teapots and cups. All three of my sisters too.

Rosalie - Hi - nice to meet you. I am back on the boards after about a year away. One of the things I do when I get the salty munchies is keep a big jar of peanuts by my bed. I have to control it - but it really helps. My dog loves them too!!

need to go now. Will check in later.
Ricki
Old 01-20-2002, 08:23 AM   #124  

Default Sunday

Good morning ladies!

Well spent all day yesterday totalling up all the tax info for 2001! Woo I dread it but so glad when I finish! It rained buckets here all day, but we desperately need the rain.

Deb - Can you email me the site to order the agave on line. We don't have any HFS here where I live. Thanks! I will try to do the challenge as well!

Sol - I will consider the WDW marathon! I second the vote to make you the spokesperson for it! Keep me informed. Love the 500! We get 4 tickets each year and the folks that go with us if they ever decide to give up their 2 if you are interested let me know. We generally have to pay for them a few weeks after we get back for the next year! So I will be glad to put you on my call list for the extra 2!

Quilter - I totally agree with you about the dogs! Ya know I'm a animal science major and they never mentioned the dog psychi in all my classes! It amazes me they dread the bath but feel so much better and happier afterwards!

Frog - I absolute have loved my Accord. of course I din't get the Ex that's what I will get next go around! Mine will be 10 yrs old this year! Still going strong! I say the Gold! It sounds so rich!

Everyone have a great day!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:34 AM   #125  

[
COLOR=red]hello everyone[/COLOR]

just going to write a quick post. I have already been at the site for 30 minutes reading posts since thursday. My dh has already checked on me a couple of times. We are going out on the boat and Iam slacking in my responsibilities. But just wanted to tell a quick funny story. Told dh last night that the baby wanted ice cream so while he was out he bought 2 containers of ice cream. Well the funny part is Iam not allowed to eat sb legal icecream while pregnant due to aspartane no artificial sweeteners allowed . Well guess what he bought the legal kind. He was so proud I said that is nice honey but i cant eat it. You should have seen the confused look on his face. I have him trained to my way of eating. He told me that i dont need icecream in that case. Well got to go. i will respond to every one later.

except have to say CONGRATS THUNDER
Old 01-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #126  

Good Sunday Morning (again)

Got in my 4.5 miles, went out around 7:30am-hot and humid already at that time!

Scale is at 122, so it went down a bit more. Hope it continues!

Cant' wait to ring Michael's neck! He deleted a bunch of stuff from the computer-lots of my great gifs, pictures and jpeg files are gone without a trace! Ahhh, children-anyone want any cheap????

With all the talk of tea rooms, I forgot we had a really nice one down in Homestead, south of me called TIFFANY'S TEA ROOM (aka the PRETTY PLACE by Lauren). It's in an old fashioned looking home with a very simple, but delish menu-some place I'll have to take the next DETOX DUNGEON VICTIM to before they DETOX when whoever comes to visit-haven't been there in about 2 years.

RSIMON, any day this week is fine for journaling, it's up to you (and the rest of the board) when and even if they want to do this. Nothing is mandatory you know, just thought it would be an interesting thing to do I try to journal daily, some days are better than others, esp. when I eat out, harder to do, but not impossible. I was doing better before the holidays came around, but I'm getting back to doing it more this past week. I think it helps a a lot.

NASCAR, did you try finding the agave within State? If not, I guess FRANKFERD would be good place to start-http://www.frankferd.com/SWT.html . Not sure of what stock they may still have. Otherwise NORTHWOOD FARMS maybe? Actually, they may be better to try, it's a pretty good price: http://products.northfarm.com/eStore.asp?Item=2448 If you want, I can always buy a case from my HFS and ship it to you. I know shipping will be about $9, and the case is about $31.00 for a box of 12 (8oz) bottles (but would be cheaper at Northwood). I don't think NATUREL is still selling their bottles on line. One other site has a minimum order to ship I believe, but has a great selection of items: http://morningsidefarm.com/cgi-msf/c...=catpg69&new=y This is MORNINGSTAR. This other site, you'll have to call or write, but they say they carry agave: http://www.sunflowerfoods.com/OrderOnline.htm

ZSU, that's great hubby is so well trained, just has to learn the ins and outs for the next 9 months, then re-train those areas back to SB. BREYERS is definitely the best choice for ice cream, I won't even touch the ice cream with all those preservatives in them-only Carbolite with the Splenda (which I'm trying to cut back on a bit).

QUILTER, found a place in OHIO that says they carry agave-see link above. Out of Columbus.

Okay, time to hit the shower! Have a great day!!!

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 01-20-2002, 10:31 AM   #127  

Good morning

Deb - Sorry you missed out on the leather chair. I'm sure it hurts to lose such a good bargain. I should be arriving in Orlando (Kissimmee) on Friday 8th March and have booked in for seven nights. This is the week when all the kids here are off school so there will probably be lots of Canadians down there. There will just be seven of us coming. My ds, dd and 4 kids. My eldest ds and his family will not be coming due to other commitments. I have a Toyota van which seats seven. Just have to find room for all the luggage. I would love to meet you while I am there. How far are you from Orlando?

Risimon - Nice to meet you again. I do remember you from before. You were still posting when I joined the board about 15 months ago. I munch on peanuts too but my favorites are cashews. Trouble is I can't keep my hand out of the bag until it's empty so I only buy them very occasionally and then just enough for one good snack.

Quilter - Let me know what you think of the book A FINE BALANCE. I was just reading the other day that it was the first Oprah choice for a Canadian author.

Nascar - It's tax time soon here too. I just hate the chore but hope I don't have any extra to pay. Always nice if it is a refund, which happens occasionally.

Fillis - Do you have a recipe for your fajitas? They sound good.

Have a good day everyone.

Marie.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:46 AM   #128  

Good Morning all-
Have to be quick, my son is whining this am and making me crazy. He has a little cold and he's bored. He's almost 6. Next week's his birthday. We're having the grown up party on Saturday and serving pizza and the kid party on Sunday. If I try and be really good all week can I cheat with Pizza on Sat? I have a cheesecake in the freezer someone sent me for Christmad from a place called World's greatest cheesecake. When it arrived I shoved it in the freezer and I'm going to use that for his birthday cake for the adults - I have vowed that I will only taste it not eat a piece.
Ok here are my replies. I didn't get everyone, but I'm better!
Frog- I will try the pita pizza crust - I'm sure it will be better than nothing!! May attempt a whole wheat crust recipe. Congrats on the car.

Sol- I will check at Publix, but all I saw that I thought may be legal was something called Amy's Organic. They really didn't appeal to me so I skipped it. But I'll check about Heaven's Bistro. thanks!

Quilter- A week without sugar - suprisingly it's been ok! I've been eating strawberries if I crave sweets or plain yogurt with smuckers all fruit and splenda in it. But when I have a melt down - I can't stop so better for me to try and stay away. I have a recipe for chocolate kisses - but they are high fat - from Atkins site. Its heavy cream, cream cheese and s/f pudding - mix together and dollop on pan and place in freezer. They are great but like I said, SB is lower fat than Atkins and I'm not sure these would be legal. Also the Atkins shakes, which I have had a couple this week are also high fat but take care of the sweet craving. So we'll see what happens. I'm more concerned about getting off sugar and white flour than I am fat. I really don't believe fat makes you fat. I believe sugar/corn/white flour makes you fat. We give grease to our pets for a shiney coat not to fatten them up. We give corn to the chickens to fatten them up. Just my theory - we'll see.

Rosalie- The weather in Orlando in March is usually nice. Not to hot, not to cold - But then again, weather gets weirder and weirder. One day its 80 here and the next day its 50! So who knows!!!!!! What is almond granola and is it legal????

Fill- where did you find ww tortillas?

Debelli-How do you want me to send you the picture - via mail?? I have a scanner but I'm not very good with it and lately the plug thing keeps falling out so I can't use it. I'll have to have someone who knows something look at it. I do have a digital camera maybe I can figure out. I'll work on it! Actually I find that the SGWW S/F and WW pitas are really all I need in the form of bread. The only thing I sneak occasionally is a french loaf called Le petit frangais - fat free-sugar free-low sodium. Ingredients: unbleached French wheatflour (whaterver that is), spring water, yeast, sea salt. That is it. My hubby and I like Brie and bread. So I don't know about it but................................

Well gotta go- next time I'll have time to insert those cute little faces!
Have a great day all!
Sue
Old 01-20-2002, 10:55 AM   #129  

ROSALIE, that's wonderful you'll be coming down here in March! I'm going to try and see if I can make plans to come up there for that weekend. Anything for another SB GET TOGETHER!!! I'm about 4 or so hours away from Orlando, depending on the route I take. Turnpike is faster but costs me about $15, I-95 is free, but takes a bit longer. Would love to be able to spend at least full day with you, -will you be able to get away for Saturday all day?? Hmmm, remember the agave syrup, I know there's the exchange rate, but at least you don't have to worry about shipping costs!!!! If you need it, I can bring it if I come up. Let me know if you figure out if it would be more cost effective than getting it up there.

SOL, GATOR, BIGK, SZU & BOB, HAPPY and any other FL gals-are you all game??? I think BOB should drive over here and carpool with me, that would sure break up the boredom of driving the flat roads of Florida-BOB? Any thoughts?. Eli probably wouldn't come this time Let me all know what you think!

HAPPY, trust me, they just whine more as they get bigger!!!! E-mail me the picture if you can. I don't have your e-mail addy, so I don't know if you are on AOL or not, could explain how to do it if you are.

Debbie

Last edited by Debelli; 01-20-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:06 AM   #130  

Default IT’S SUNDAY FUNDAY. ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

Good morning, everyone! Hope everybody is up and feeling good. Things are fine here. I just let Maddie out and it seems to have started snowing again. Yeehaw!!! I don’t know why I want it to snow so badly right now. Maybe I want to be marrooned with dh for a few days now that he’s healthy and has his energy back. LOL

Didn’t do much yesterday. I started to do laundry, but then go so into posting I forgot all about it. (Selective memory) Then watched a fantastic movie. You’ve probably all seen it, Tea With Mussolini. Oh my gosh, it’s fantastic. I can’t believe I’d never watched it before. It has some of my favorite women actresses in it. If you haven’t rented it, do you. I would recommend it to anyone. The women are strong and willing to fight for what they believe in. So very cool.

Tonight Paul’s mom is having a birthday dinner for Paul’s uncle at the Golden Corral. I’ve never been, but have heard the food is fairly decent. Buffets tend to scare me because of all the “visual stimulation,” but reports tell me they have a wonderful salad bar. I think I’ll go there first and fill up. We have to stop on the way and get him a present. He just moved in with Paul’s mom last summer. He’s in his 40’s and mildly ******ed. Was living in a group home in St. Louis where all other residents were miles below him in ability. Few could even talk. He loves to talk, and is really much happier here. So that will be a fun afternoon.

ROSALIE---I wondered if you'd been working a lot. Hope that's working out okay for you. You are so sweet. I love reading your posts too. They always make me laugh. That table tennis must have been fun. If you play anything like me, you get a lot of waistline work from bending over to pick up the ball. HA! What's your granola recipe? Is it on the board? I love granola, but it's all got so much sugar in it, I stay away from it. Yes, I’ll be happy to share with you my thoughts on A Fine Balance. So far, it’s great. This writier is excellent . . . really pulls you into the scene. At our last bookclub meeting, when we were trying to decide what to read next, one of the women read alout a few paragraphs from the first page. We all unanimously said, YES! We’ve got to read this next.

SHEANN---The very best sandwich I ever had in my entire life was from the train station at Salibury, England. It was a cucumber, avocado and sprouts sandwich on a yummy role. I can almost still taste it and it's been about 8 years since I've been there. Now that's a sandwich that can hold your memory that well. Clotted cream is wonderful.

SOL---You are making me hungry for oatmeal. What kind do you buy? I can’t imagine the hours you and Vince live by. Eeegads! I didn’t even know there was a 3:30 a.m. You both sound like very disciplines people. You’d have to be to keep those hours.

FILLISE---Your wreaths sound wonderful. You are quite the crafty person. Do you have a particular favorite store where you get your craft supplies or do you just pick them up as you go along? Those fajitas sound yummy!!! I may copy you for dinner one night this week. Okay???

KAREN---Thanks for the football report. That’s going to be a good game. Both teams are so evenly matched. Bret always scares me with that shotgun-like arm of his. He’s certainly not afraid to throw into a crowd. If you’re cheering for the other team, you can never count him out. I so admire his devotion to the game. His consecutive starts number is unbelieveable. It will be interesting to see what happens. Enjoy your time w ith friends. I’m a little disappointed that you don’t own a cheese head. LOL

DEB---HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LAUREN!!!!!! MAY YOUR WISHES COME TRUE!!!!!!!! That art show sounded wonderful. Would love to see the piece you bought. I can’t even imagine hot and muggy weather right now. Our furnace is running non-stop. Be careful out there in the hot weather. Yes, a Fine Balance is an Oprah Book. We don’t always read her choices. Just so happened this month we did. It’s set in India. I love India. And so far it’s really holding my interest. I’d be happy to be the Book Review person. January’s book was To Kill a Mockingbird. What a GREAT READ!!! I had only seen the movie, and the book has a lot more in it. Wow, the characters are so well done. If you’re looking for something that’s not too lengthy, try it. You won’t be sorry. I will give Paul your Dungeon Master Warning. Sometimes he goes a little crazy. But I know in the long run, it was me who caved. He didn’t hold me down and force feed me. Ha! My Kroger’s doesn’t carry the ww tortillas. If I have time, I’d go to another store, but most weeks it’s all I can do to get to Krogers. I’m jealous . . . you may get to meet ROSALIE. How lucky for you and her. I hope your schedules work out so that you can.

RL---So glad you are feeling the benefits from the SB way of eating. That’s so great for you. Medina is up north by Cleveland, and I’m at the southern tip of OH. So I don’t think I’ll be getting up that way very soon. It sounds wonderful.

NASCAR---I didn’t know you were an Animal Science major. What is that exactly? Is that what you take if you want to be a vet? How cool. I love animals. Maddie, that’s her picture under my name at the left is so precious to us. We love her like crazy. She’s sleeping at my feet right now. That’s her job, you know. Because she’s so big and hairy I take her to Denny’s Dog House for her day of beauty. She gets a little nervous to go, but has been going there for years and loves the women who work there. They love her too. They call her “Killer” because she’s so afraid of everything. Actually, they think it’s men that she’s afraid of. They always report to me what happens when a man comes in the door. Funny, huh? Kind of like day-care workers having a parent conference.

HAPPY---Looks like you and I are posting at about the same time. I almost missed you. Thanks for the info about the stuff fromthe Atkins site. The kisses sound interesting, but I know that if I made them, I'd probably eat them all. Wouldn't it be nice to have just a little something legal around when you had a craving? I'm really afraid to have the illegal stuff in the house. Like the other night when DH wanted the milkshakes and like a lemming, I went right along with it. I agree with you about the importance of getting rid of the sugar and white in our diets. That's key. I read a newspaper article the other day about how low carb diets may do some good (lose weight, lower blood pressure, and cholesterol), but there are still some diseases that it doesn't help. Some sorts of cancers. Heart disease. I think I threw the article out, but if not I'll try and post it sometime. My MIL is diabetic and has done low carbs for about 1.5 years now. She's lost 100 pounds, but I think she eats too much fat. Sometimes she talks about using low-fat stuff, then I see her lathering something with butter. So I really don't know. I mean her diet has certainly helped her condition and she's got tons more energy, but I'm not sure I agree with it after reading that article. That's why I think SB with the usage of smart carbs is the way to go.

Well, that’s it for me. I’m not going to finish what laundry I was supposed to do yesterday. Somebody crack that whip to get me up and moving!!! LOL Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Take care.
Kim
Old 01-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #131  
Mel

Default Sunday

Took so long to read all the posts that now I have to say "Good Afternoon, Everybody!"

Spent the morning shovelling winter off my driveway. My dh has an uncanny knack for either being out of town or having some sort of virus every time it snows. I know he really is sick, just sheesh! I've shovelled every bit of snow in the last 20 years! Tried to get ds to help, but after about 10 minutes, he starting throwing snowballs at me and the dog, so I gave up (with a LOT of yelling) and sent him in the house. Oh how I'd love to go to FLA for a few days!

Just wanted to say hi- I need to go finish a ton of laundry and then collapse after all that snow shovelling,

mel
Old 01-20-2002, 01:04 PM   #132  

Default Sunday afternoon

Doing housework and watching Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh, pulling for the Ravens. Then the game I've been waiting for Green Bay !!!

Deb's Spinach quiche is in the oven and will be ready in about 10 minutes. YUM YUM!

After lunch settles I am off to the gym for the first workout since marathon and flu. Still have a bit of a lingering cough but am feeling light years better than last weekend.

Tomorrow is a holiday for me. Planning to go pottery painting with a coworker, pick up the Honda at 5:00 then on to Keeno at 6:30. Wish me luck with Spewer. Rumor has it that her lastest endeavor is that she is on a diet (remember she is a size 4) and that she is going to New York with her sisters for a makeover byt Diane Sawyer's hair and make-up crew. Unless they're also plastic surgeons she should saver her time and money. I'm sure that that is all she will have to spout her x-large mouth off about tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Peace,
FROG
Old 01-20-2002, 01:15 PM   #133  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERYBUDDY!!!!

I'm nesting today...went out this morning and got a few groceries..mostly produce...have a CHUCK ROAST in the oven and will add some veggies later. I've already got some green beans cooked..YUM..YUM..YUM...

The HEAVEN'S BISTRO PIZZA is good. I'm nota frozen pizza lover..I agree with FROG , the pita pizza's are great...and you can control what is on them..I was at the health food store yesterday and they had
some GREEK PIZZA'S in the freezer...they looked FABULOUS, but
they cost over $7 a piece! I'll sticke to my pita's...a little feta makes them GREEK too..

A road trip in March???? Hmmmmmmmmm...let me think about it.
I'm still quite poor after the holidays and my trip...

NANCY...I'll start watching the airfares...where would you fly out of?

Kim....OH...MY...GAWD....are you on SPEED ??? You are so chatty this weekend..Glad Paul is feeling better...See?/? I told you those pinches would help
Yes, I'm so sorry...Skeeter LOVED Maddies card..He's having a time with his predisone Every time I turn around...he needs to tinkle!!

SUSAN..so glad you liked my combo for the avacados..

As for everyone else....A BIG HELLO I'm in the middle of laundry....

Oh yeah....yes, I do a lot of BULK COOKING on Sunday..that way I have a lot done dinner wise for the week...

Later

BOB
Old 01-20-2002, 03:08 PM   #134  

Hi again

Happy - Thanks for your comments about the Orlando weather. Compared to here, even if it is only in the fifties we will think it is warm. So I guess I'd better bring my long pants as well as my shorts. Almond Granola is completely legal and delicious. I've just made a batch and I added some dried apricots and dried apple for a little variety. I'm just waiting for it to cool down - tastes good warm too. It is on one of the Recipe Boards, posted by Deb. I will check it out and let you know which one it is on. I made pizza yesterday with SGWW flour. It is very easy to make and yummy. One batch of dough makes enough for two medium pizzas, rolled very thin. The recipe is somewhere on one of the boards also.

Quilter - I saw Tea with Mussolini at the theatre a couple of years ago. Thought it was a very good movie. See my note above to Happy about the granola. It's made with agave syrup and is perfectly legal.

Deb - I would love to meet you and if possible some of the other gals when I am in Orlando but I will have to discuss it with the kids to see what they want to do on the Saturday. It may turn out fine as we are due to arrive on the Friday and it will probably be late in the evening. So the kids maybe quite happy to just relax around the pool the first day and give me some time to myself. Perhaps you would be able to meet me at the hotel? We will only have the one vehicle so I wouldn't like to take off and leave them with no means of transportation. I will get back to you as soon as I can and let you know.

Frog - Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope you enjoy your new car. Sounds like everyone has had positive experiences with the Honda.

Bob - Hope you can make the road trip if it works out. Would love to meet you.

Have to get back in the kitchen and clean up the mess and start on supper. My two ds's are out with all the kids to some Monster Truck thing at the stadium and they will be heading back here for supper about 6 o'clock. I'm planning on having a pot of chili ready for them so they can eat before heading home.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:58 PM   #135  
Goddess

Thumbs down Sunday afternoon

Afternoon everyone! I've got a few minutes to catch up with the board today.

The scale was at 238 this morning! Hopefully I will be back into new territory soon!

About the fajitas--When superWalmart opened here, they began carrying WW tortillas and then presto Kroger bagan carrying them too. So in short order I went from not being able to find them to finding them all over the place. I guess that's the magic of competition. I was also in Winn-Dixie the other day and noticed that they were carrying SB whole grain abd french breads. I didn't get any because I've mostly gotten out of the habit of eating bread with meals and don't want to get back into it--BUT--it's nice to know its there if I ever need it!.

Anyway, the fajitas--I didn't season the meat. I just cooked the peppers and onions and then the meat. I heated the tortillas and then spread some salsa on the bottom--added the usual fillings and topped with a little dollop of sour cream. They were mighty tasty--and way cheaper than they are in Mexican restaurants.

Kim--Anytime I hit a Michales or other craft store, I buy stuff and stick it in a bin in a closet. Then on a rainy afternoon, I can usually find something to amuse myself. I even have the remenent end of some bolts of X-stitch fabric. Miss belle has discovered my stash and was paying with some glue sticks the other day!

Deb-I'll be sure to look for the Sweet cactus farms agave!

Got to go--time to head out to youth groups!

Susan
300/238/150
July 10, 2000
Closed Thread