Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Will you make a NEW YEARS RESOLUTION?
Yes, I make at least one and I keep it! 4 14.81%
Yes, I make a few and will be lucky if I keep one. 3 11.11%
Yes, I make one/them, but darned if I ever follow through! 1 3.70%
Yes, I make one, but I know it's a joke, I never do what I intend. 0 0%
Usually not, but this year I will and I my intentions are good to keep it! 6 22.22%
Maybe, haven't decided yet. 8 29.63%
No, what's the use? I know I won't keep it. 0 0%
Plain and simple, a flat out NO! 2 7.41%
I don't need to make even one, I'm perfect! 2 7.41%
Other 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 08:11 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 12/24-12/30

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FIT FACTS

Please visit our LATEST BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=3773

Please make sure you post your BIO on the LATEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...839#post133441

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often-make sure to visit our newest board, MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS at the link below:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2342

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2344

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2365

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2359

and our newest board MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=5005

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=11880

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGH IN INFO?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD below to post your stats!

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=11879

VISIT OUR NEW SUGAR BUSTERS 2001 PICTURE GALLERY at the link below. You can upload pictures or post links to pictures on this board

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10759

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit NEW REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 12-24-2001, 08:15 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM:

WORK ON IT

Easy answers and effortless solutions are not going to bring you what you truly desire. The surest way to the achievement of any desire is to work on it. Stop waiting for it to fall into your lap. Stop searching for a shortcut. Get up, get out, get going and get to work on it.

There are those who will promise you something for nothing. They offer nothing but empty promises and eventual disappointment. So don't let them waste your time or energy. Use that time and energy to truly move yourself in the direction of your dream. Use that energy to work on it.

Work on it. It seems so obvious, and yet too few people actually make the sustained effort to achieve the life they desire. Those who do make that effort, those who go to work on what they desire, are the ones who reach it.

Those who appear lucky have made their own luck. Every result has a cause. Every achievement comes from the effort that is put into it.

One of the greatest, defining blessings of life is the opportunity to put forth effort in the direction of your desires. Live that blessing in every moment by using your efforts to achieve your highest and best possibilities.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day and a fabulous week!

Debbie
194/12?/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 12-24-2001, 11:41 AM   #3  

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVERYONE!!

Lots to do today, but I slept late & am behind already, so I decided to check in & say "HEY" to all of ya who will check the board today. Hope your Holiday is a BLESSED one.

Diet flew out the window & am no longer at 138, so I will need serious detox come Wednesday. BOB, get the wagon ready cause I'll need a lift.

Got to get moving here. Have a good one, ya'll
Old 12-24-2001, 11:58 AM   #4  

Happy Holiday
Merry Christmas

Good Morning to all,

It is quiet here and I figured I would post now, how knows what will happen later. I have already had three days off and feel wonderful. My sister goes home tomorrow night so then I will be free with total time to my self until Friday when we leave for Mobile, AL for four days. But we will have nice time with the family tonight.

I hope that everyone is able to finish all those last minute errands that always turn up. I really hope I won't have to do in to a store today.

I just wanted to take a quick minute to thank you all for being here. The support found here is like a Christmas present every day. I know I get busy and don't always post, but you all are here. I know that you all are willing to lend an "ear" when I need to vent, and full of wonderful words when I doubt I can achive my goals. You offer kindness and support when I am blue, I only wish we all lived close enough to do this all in person. I really feel truely blessed to be a part of all this. Thank you all for the really meaning of giving.

God Bless, Have a great day
Laurie
Old 12-24-2001, 05:29 PM   #5  

Evening All

Thought I better get in a post while I can.

Got my 4.5 miles in this morning, surprisingly. I was in NO mood to go, it was late (after 9amP and even after I started I had the urge to return home, but I went and figured I'd do 3.5 miles-ended up doing 4.5 miles, so I was happy

I'm cooking tonight! Decided Eli deserved a decent dinner for Xmas Eve. Making a small leg of lamb (pray it comes out!), some green beans, hummus, rice pilaf and knafi, a ME dessert. Nothing lavish, of course, but filling I hope.

Tomorrow we are going to my Grandmothers house to spend the day with family-hoping to see some Manatees in the back yard. They live on the canal and when it's cool, that's where they go. I love when they come right up to the wall, I almost was able to pet one one year, but alas, my arms were just a wee bit short My cousins from MD are going to spend the night tomorrow night, not sure what's in the plans for Wed with them, but we'll spend the day together. I know my cousin will jog with me in the morning, hope I can keep up with him!

Speaking of which, my house is still a wreck, haven't done anything in here today-so I have to get on the ball before we leave tomorrow and get it organized, at least somewhat.

I was thrilled with a package that arrived today. The gal from the agave company sent me some bottles of the new agave they had before she left the office and she sent Michael a huge box of agave stix (like honey sticks), I think I will hold them for ransom so he'll clean his room.

SEF, change your name so that gingerbread man doesn't know it! I'm sure you'll do fine!!! Happy Holidays!!

MELF, enjoy the holiday, come Wednesday you'll be back OP and back down on the scale. Happy Holidays!!

LAMAP, enjoy the rest of your time with your sister and have a good and safe trip to AL. When will you be back??? Happy Holidays!!

Okay, I'm outta here. Will check back tonight before I hit the hay if I'm able.

Once again I wish you all a HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!!

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Last edited by Debelli; 12-24-2001 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:03 PM   #6  
Mel

Default Christmas Eve

I spent the day cooking, but did get in a looong bike workout this morning. Poor Cleo is limping and I can't run with her. I'm really hoping it's just a strain or pull, and not hip displasia. I don't know what I'll do if my running partner can't run anymore! DH says "over my dead body" about having 2 dogs, but that's what he said about the first, so who knows? We'll be off to the vet at the end of the week to add to the holiday bills.
Our family culture clash really hit me today while I had custard cooling on one counter to make a trifle (won't eat that!) and garlic, chickpeas and tahini in the food processor on another counter to make a big batch of hummus (I'll eat buckets of that!). Both are Christmas Day staples in our household. I now have 4 more people coming, so it's getting a bit crowded but will be fun. I always make enough food for at least 10 extra people, so we're good for another 2 families or so.

Deb- Your dinner sounds perfect! My favorite meal. Lots of garlic in the lamb, I hope I keep planning on going to the HFS to stock up on agave, but haven't made it yet! And to think I just found the stuff. Tho maybe this is a blessing in disguise for me, because I didn't bake anything for myself for 4 months and lived quite well without it. Now I'm scarfing down carob almond bars by the handfull because they are legal. I hate the aftertaste of splenda, so once the agave is gone, bye-bye carby sweets.

Melf-You couldn't have blown it that bad, and if you did, we can try to breach 140 again together!

I just wanted to second lamap's post- I'm so glad I found all of you and thank you for your support, inspirations, and laughs! Today is my 5 month anniversary on SB and I don't think I'd have done it without y'all! I'm even learning to speak Southern

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

mel

Last edited by meliris; 12-24-2001 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:19 PM   #7  
Little Engine That Could

Christmas Eve--We've finished dinner--beef tenderloin filet, wild rice cooked in beef bouillon, and tiny hericots verts. The only thing off plan was the sour cream pound cake that we have as a birthday cake. I had a thin slice of that, and will have to "get back on the wagon" on
Wednesday. We had some friends/relatives over for dinner last night. It was yummy. Bean cassoulet, roasted pork tenderloin, and braised red cabbage with apples. It was a terrific meal, very winterish (even though it is anything but winter weather here in Orlando right now!!) and healthy. The fall from grace was the chocolate torte I fixed for dessert. It was yummy, rich and delicious, and, as above mentioned, I will be back on the wagon on Wed. Actually, there was plenty of fat in tonight's meal, and that does me in as much as anything else. So will be back to low fat also, even though it is not top of the list for S.B.

Our daughter is spending the night tonight, and our son came over. He left right after dinner, not even staying for dessert, because he has a girlfriend with 2 kids that is living with him that he had to get back to. He doesn't admit that she is a girlfriend, but says that she is just renting a room and needs a place to stay because she is on
house arrest because of a white collar felony she committed. He doesn't talk about it much and tries to keep that part of his life hidden from us. Apparently she is not allowed to leave the house, so we have never met her. It is awkward. It is very hard, because I don't know whether to play along, or what. Anyway, he hightailed it out of here and I was very disappointed, and feeling very sad. Wish you were right around the corner, Fillise, for I would have called you up for some calming advice. I was trying to keep outward calm, but was crying inside. Anyway, here I am, talking with y'all, and it is a help. Thanks for listening.

I think we will go to a 10 o'clock church service tonight. It will be good for me. I have heard so many people ask, "Are you ready for Christmas?" Well, Christmas is coming whether I'm ready or not. It's a question that, in truth, is focusing on the secular celebration aspect of this day, rather than, for Christians, the truth of the event: that God invaded earth on a not-so-spectacular night, somewhere in a small town in the mideast, so that man, sinner that he was, could have a relationship with a holy G-d. It really was just the start of a chain of events that showed us just how much we were worth to G-d. I guess the better question is, "Are you ready for God?" I think 9-11 just reminds me that I might be facing him at any time and that I'll never know what the next minute holds for me.

We have been working feverishly for the past several days on a scrapbook for our son (!!) that has some great pictures of events throughout his life. It was amazing to see some of the things we saved. I had old report cards back to kindergarten. And some funny cartoons too. One showed Charlie Brown explaining to his teacher,"No, my dog did not eat my homework. He wrote it!" My husband was motivated through all this to plan to start some other creative projects after the first of the year. He has a miniature room that he has been talking about for 10 years, so maybe he will now do it.

Well, I'm gonna go. Just wanted to check in while it was quiet. All the hub bub is finished and the scrap book is done and it is peaceful around this house. Take care, all and I hope you have a blessed day tomorrow as you remember Him who gave you value, peace and purpose.
Gail

Last edited by GatorGal; 12-24-2001 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:36 PM   #8  
sef

HidieHo All!!!

Went to NH today. We talked about Christmas Eves past and present, did "Twas the Night...........", then went to WAl*mart Winn Dixie and WAlgreens, made sausage dressing and Waldorf salad, Rested a bit then went to Bay St Louis for Buffet Supper, very. nice. I was legal right down to desert, they have a section of SF deserts.

Am just relaxing now reading the paper and thought I would check in.

I want to thank you all for being here, I have relied on you all so much.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.

Take care, sef
Old 12-24-2001, 11:03 PM   #9  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!!

Just a short one...havent packed a rag!!! Have to be up at 6 and out the door to the airport at 7....

Just wanted to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS tomorrow and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

BOB
Old 12-25-2001, 12:18 AM   #10  

Just checking in to wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS. .

Have to be up early for work in the morning but will be having the family over for dinner. Most of the preparations are done but dd will come over early and finish getting things ready. Just hope ds puts the turkey in the oven on time

Marie.
Old 12-25-2001, 07:19 AM   #11  

Just a very quick post to wish you all a
MERRY
CHRISTMAS!!!!

I'll try to get on later to post replies individually. I've got so much to do, the house is a mess and we have to leave here by Noonish to go to GM house. Going to try to get myself motivated to get out and do my walk first.

ENJOY YOUR DAY!!!!

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 12-25-2001, 11:09 PM   #12  
Goddess

Talking Merry Christmas

Hello Everyone!For everyone who celebrates. . .

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I know it is late and the day is almost over, but I wanted to pass along my best wishes to everyone on this board. You have been so important to me over the past year, and I want you to know how special all of you are to me.

Our holiday celebration has been a bit out of kilter this year. My father developed some sort of infection on Saturday and has not been himself. We took him to the Dr. on Sunday, but it will be a few days before the antibiotics really kick in. He was such a good sport about doing as much as he could even though he felt lousy. He was so concerend about ruining Christmas for everyone esle. Mom and I told him that we thought it would be best not to go to my brother's house, but he wouldn't hear of it. There was no way he was going to miss seeing the grandchildren on Christmas morning. A lot of people when they feel lousy get into really bad moods, but not him. We did put him to bed early last night, but he got up this morning and has been a trooper all day. We got home about 7:30 tonight and he went straight to bed. I know he has to be exhausted.

I'm talking about this because I read Gator's message. This Christmas wasn't the same as before. But it was special--maybe more so because I was more appreciative of the people who are in my life. They may not be exactly as I want them to be, and they may not always do the things I want them to do. But they are the people that I love. For today, that was enough. For today, that was perfect.

Gator, we adult kids can be just as worrying as the little ones. Grown up? Out of the house? Mom is still on the hook for worrying about us! My mom and I used to have a really hard time. She was so busy trying to change me and I was busy trying to change her. I can't change my mom and I can't control her behavior. So one day I started to work on what I could control--my own behavior. She must have been doing the same because we get along really well now (not that we still don't go a round or two every now and then). You can't change your son, or make him do what he isn't ready to do. All you have control over is your own actions and attitudes. I hope you are feeling better this evening. I'll be thinking about you.

I'm going to bed. It has been a very hectic few days and I'm bushed. I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's Christmas!

Susan
Old 12-25-2001, 11:53 PM   #13  

Default Happy Holidays

Well, the day is over!!!

This holiday for us, like others, just wasn't the same. We usually have 11 or 12 for dinner on Christmas day, and today I took my Mom to Denny's for supper. We had a small Christmas dinner last night with 6 of us.

BUt .....I am not a real fan of this holiday any way so I am kinda flad that is it over. I always thought I just didn't like it, but I have figured out that I hate the time because it should be for family and I just don't have a big one, or really a little one for that matter. In the past year as the "new" me has come out, I have been able to realize that I don't like to be lonely instead of loving the quiet like I had convinced myself. Maybe as more of the "new me" shows and as time goes by, I just might meet someone to share my life with and he better have a big family!!!

ANyway sorry about ramlbing on.....I did meet a goal today. i have lost 85 pounds as of today. This is what I wanted to do by Christmas and I did it. MY reward is to get a second set of pierced earings. Sound like just what I need....another set of holes in my head. So I have 85 down and 95 to go. What a long road ahead of me!!!

Well I really hope that everyone enjoyed the time with the family and relaxed with the time off from work. ANd for those of you that did have to work, thanks, because that usually means that you were serving others. Good luck with weigh in in the morning.

Have a great day!!!
Laurie
Old 12-26-2001, 11:57 AM   #14  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default weigh in wednesday?!?!

surely you jest!

Obviously I'm not the only one who stayed away from the scales today!! I hope that everyone has better news to report than I would have - had I weighed!

We had a nice quiet 2 days together - just Vince and Me. We spent all day Monday at Sea World. There was hardly anyone there and we got to enjoy all our favorite spots before our card expires. Yesterday we slept in and went walking/running after breakfast, had a late lunch of grilled steaks and sweet potato casserole and then spent 3 hour (YEP! THREE HOURS) at Lord of the Rings. By the time we got home I had enough time to e-mail my brother who is living in Taiwan and get ready for bed.

This is the first time I can remember my parents not being around for Christmas and, I thought I could handle it, but as I was e-mailing my brother I started thinking about our family traditions that we weren't able to do this year and how much fun my family is and how different it was to not have them around. I *thought* I was okay until Vince asked me what was wrong and I laughed and told him just a 30+ year old crying for her mommy. I know they'll be down to visit during the year and we're all going on a vacation together this summer, but it just wasn't the same not having them around. I also wish my brother would move closer to home - just to the U.S.A. would be okay with me.

Enough of my rambling. I ordered Agave from the place MELF recommended, so I'll be stocked up when the beautiful SB Ladies come calling.

GATOR - I'm sure your son knows you love him no matter what and he'll come clean when he's ready. He may not be too sure that's what he wants to get into and doesn't want to burden you with their relationship if he's not sure if it's going to work out. Her consequences are already pulling him away from y'all and he's not going to like that too much if it continues.

LAURIE - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You deserve those double piercings for sure!! It's great to have good news to rejoice about and you'll reach all your goals I'm sure!

FILLISE - You're always full of wonderful wisdom. I hope your Dad is continuing to get better. He deserves a medal for not getting grumpy. I'd probably have had to stay home and feel sorry for myself - I couldn't be around anyone because I'd have been major GRINCH.

MARIE - How'd that turkey come out?!? Good, I hope!

Well, I've got to run. Have a great day, everyone!!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:45 PM   #15  

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

The house is quiet and everyone is gone. Eli's at work, the kids went with my Mom to the Museum of Science and my cousins left to meet up with my sister to go to take all the kids to the zoo. I don't feel much like venturing out today, so I'm going to do some deep cleaning in the kitchen as I prepare for the 30 or so people converging on my house NY Day.

Got in my jog/walk this morning. My cousin jogs 4 miles a day and I thought I'd have trouble keeping up with him, but I didn't do too bad and at times, he had trouble keeping up with me. He was surprised that I did so well, considering I'm fairly new with jogging. We did my usual 4.5 miles and I'm happy to say I HAVE A NEW BEST TIME!!!! I did it in 46:13, 10 seconds off my previous best time. It helped that it was overcast and cooler.

Speaking of which, it's gloomy and cool, but still a nice change from the 80 degree weather we had yesterday. Supposedly, it's suppose to get even cooler for tomorrow with the lows inland of 40's!! It's days like this that I like getting into a hot shower, but hate getting out!

Xmas at GP house was cramped yesterday, but always nice to be with family. Easily stayed OP, nothing worth cheating for anyway. Though Mom did make her great RED VELVET CAKE which I do love, but didn't even smell it!

Eli surprised me with a digital camera. I thought the Glamour Shots for Chanukah were it, so really, this was a big surprise. So now, there's no excuse for me not to get back on Ebay. Okay, one excuse, I have to read the instructions and figure out my new toy!!!

So, here we are, least you forgot, it's WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!! Hope you've all faired better than I. Not a pretty sight on my scale, still at 122, as I have been for quite a few days now. This is a gain of 1lb from last week and I'm still up 3.5lbs from my low. TOM is over today, so I should see a downward trend in 2 weeks. This next week will be up and down as I've seen from previous months. Also, I've still been really bad with my water intake as well as keeping track of my food-both make a big difference in this WOE for me. I'm hoping to be back on track with both things today

I found 3 possible sweeteners to try. All are low GI. I'm awaiting samples from 2 sources, the third source is from the UK and is a FRUCTOSE made from ONLY FRUIT called FRUISANA. I am going to find out the cost with shipping to the states, or ask my friend who lives outside of Manchester to see if she can find it along with the price and cost for shipping. Doesn't seem all that expensive. I'll let you know when samples of the 2 arrive and my thoughts.

MEL, I hope CLEO is on the mend and feeling better today. I can understand about your little culture dilema as Eli being of other faith. I think I saw you mention that your DH has family in St. Catherine? Eli has family in St. Laurent-possibly near? Oh, and to put your mind at rest-YES, lots of garlic stuffed in the lamb. I was surprised it came out well. Easy recipe out of the ME cookbook I have. I think you are smart to stay clear of the baked stuff, even when made with agave. I didn't have stuff like that til close to a year on SB and I think that's what made me more successful on this WOE.

GATOR, okay, what the heck is tiny hericots verts??? Again, another interesting dinner you seemed to prepare. You surely would be bored with anything I had to cook and serve! You sure do have a dilemma on your hands with your son. Why not just sit down with him and tell him no more playing around the bush, just be honest about what's going on. Hopefully, you can get things ironed out, can't be a good situation any way you look at it.

SEF, sausage dressing, sounds yummy!!!!! Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

ROSALIE, I'm sure you had a nice time with your family. Did you get snow your way? When we spoke to family in Montreal they said it was snowing earlier in the day. Eli and I were laughing because we had the a/c on and it was 80 degrees that day!!!

FILLISE, hope your Father is feeling better today, please let us know how he's doing. He sounds like my GF, not a complainer and a real trooper! Hope you enjoyed your holiday with the family. Like you said, well, in a way, they may not be perfect, or in perfect health, but it's perfect that we still have them with us!!!

LAMAP, CONGRATULATIONS on the new milestone!!! That's a wonderful "gift" you've given yourself this holiday! Do treat yourself to those earrings-heck, you should be able to find some great deals out there, so make them really special! Just imagine 5 more pounds and you are half-way there. It may seem like a long road, but really, it does go by faster than you think. Keep up the great work.

SOL, seems you and VINCE had a good 2 days off together. Michael saw LOTR the other day and liked it very much. Too bad you have to wait another year for part 2. Hey, I can always p/u some agave for ou before we come-just let me know so I can order it in time.

Okay, I'm off to the kitchen to start some cleaning. Will check in this evening to see what's going on.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Closed Thread