Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 05-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default ZedAus

Could you please post details about how to make the veggie slice described on your website? It sounds great and I would love to try it!

Thanks!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #2  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Hi midwife,

The veggie slice is SO simple I feel like a cheat even calling this a 'recipe'. Basically, you just throw as many veggies as you like into a baking dish/tray then cover with whisked egg whites and bake until browned on top and almost set in the middle. I use a large glass baking dish and I can also see that the sides have browned a little, which lets me know it is done. The centre may be a little 'watery' when you take it out, but this firms up. I have a basic group of veggies I use: 1 whole bag of frozen peas/corn/carrot, 2 medium onions, 1 large zucchini (grated) and a large bag of mixed frozen cauliflower, broccoli and yellow beans. This is a LOT of vegetables and makes a very big slice/bake. You could use all fresh vegetables, which would probably be better as they would be a bit firmer in the finished product, but the frozen are often cheaper over here. It lasts a while in the fridge, and I have it for lunch and/or dinner over a few days. I pour over a 1 litre carton of egg whites. That is the only way I have found egg whites over here. We buy it frozen and sit it in the fridge to defrost. I have to make a big veggie bake because I haven't found out what to do with the rest of the egg whites. You may be able to make a smaller one to use if you want to make smaller portions.

You can also add any kind of seasoning/flavouring you like, but I have grown to love the natural flavours of vegetables, so I just keep it simple. I do put some pepper on it before eating as I love pepper on my 'eggs'.

My dietician friend told me to make this as a 'side dish' and told me I could have as much of it as I liked, as it was SO healthy. I don't have anywhere NEAR as much as she said I could have, but I also have a salad with my dinner, so I get extra vegetables that way.

As I said, it is SO simple, but I really like it and you certainly couldn't think of an easier thing to make. Just throw together and bake. That is MY kind of cooking.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #3  

It sounds amazing! I am actually off to the store shortly and will try it out this weekend! Do you bake it at about 350F? Does Aussies cook according to F or C? Wow, inquiring minds want to know!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Oh that sounds yummy! I am going to try it too!!! Only I would use fresh veggies!! Can't wait to try it... LOL I would go fix it now except I just went to Mongolian grill and got takeout which I am about to eat <G>
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #5  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I didn't put the temp down because I REALLY don't know. My oven temperature guage is a bit of a mess and we always have to have it higher than recipes say. I would imagine we bake it at a normal 'roast' temperature. Approx. 200/210C? Not really sure. Did I happen to mention that I am a HOPELESS cook?

Hubby just said to tell you that if it is REALLY soggy, then you may want to turn the oven up, and if it looks like charcoal then you may have the oven a little TOO hot. Helpful character isn't he? Can you tell that he is used to dealing with me??

Good luck! If you work out the temp, please let ME know, then I could at least write it down somewhere, so I don't sound quite as vague. Sorry...

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 109.6kg/104.6kg/67kg (15/8/10)

Height: 170cm

Zelma,

My cooking skills are pretty pathetic!

I am absolutely hopeless in the kitchen...I am sure I am capable of burning water!!

But this recipe sounds soooo easy and so yummy I am prepared to give it a go!!

Your husband has a wicked sense of humour too, I love it!

Thanx for sharing

*off to buy some ingredients*
Lindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:15 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

This recipe sounds like it would make a good breakfast dish. I'll try it with Eggbeaters (egg substitute) and bake it at 350 deg.F - this temperature works for most things I bake.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #8  

Your husband sounds like such a great guy! Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it turns out....
Old 05-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #9  

That sounds a great recipe, I haven't found liquid egg whites in stoers here, but I do know you can get them on the internet.

350 degrees fahrenheit is 180 degrees celsius, which is about right for an egg dish
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote