Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #1  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Default Showing 'before' and 'after' pics to strangers

I amaze myself sometimes at my vanity... and insanity!

I have found myself in a number of situations recently where, for some reason or other, I mention my weight loss and people ask if I have any 'before' and 'after' photos. Well, I DO have some good ones now (that can be viewed on my webpage - link is under my tracker) and I have printed them out to carry around in my handbag. They are as much a 'reminder' to me of how far I've come, as something to show to people.

I can't work out if it is vanity, or pride, or what, but I just LOVE showing people these pics. Hopefully I don't drive people crazy. I have a set at school and word has got around, so people are constantly coming to have a look at them... and bringing their friends.

The other day I went to a new doctor and had to pick up some things at the pharmacy next door that I hadn't been to before. Well, one of my old students was working there. I told her that I had taught her when she was in grade 2 and she just looked at me as though I had lost my mind. Once I told her who I was she just looked at me as though I was even MORE insane. As in... You CAN'T be her! It was really quite funny as she was totally stumped for words. Well, I told her how much weight I had lost and the other people working and shopping there were really interested in seeing photos. So, out they came! Not even any hesitation. No longer the shy, hesitant, withdrawn, hidden away, "Don't you dare take a photo of me", Zelma. Now its the HEY LOOK AT ME! Zelma. Bit scary at times, but I've had a lot of years of this 'attitude' locked away inside me and it is loving getting out and about.

I just wanted to let you all know that it is perfectly OK to be proud of what you are doing. Well, I think it is anyway. You should be shouting it from the rooftops and rejoicing that you have made such wonderful changes in your life.

I hope you all have someone (even if it is a stranger) that you can 'boast' to about how you are doing.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9

I do the same thing!! I've been carrying my "fat" pictures in my purse for over a year now. I love meeting new people and telling them how much weight I've lost. Of course, they never believe that I used to be a "big girl", so out come the photos!! It shocks them every time! I swear, it's one of the best feelings ever!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #3  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

Zelma, the only word that comes to mind when looking at your awesome pictures is STUNNING! Absolutely stunning! What a huge undertaking and how proud you absolutely must be! And yes, yes, yes, sing it from the highest rooftops!

Know that my biggest inspiration is viewing before and after pictures. Admiring the progression and knowing that it will come, seems to spur me forward. So never feel as if your "bragging" as you may be inspiring others to get healthy too. ( besides, you've earned bragging rights anyways! lol )

I'm about 20 pounds from my goal and at my highest was 198 pounds. On a 5'2" frame, that got to be painful. Slowly, steadily I've plugged away as so many of us have. I'm pre-diabetic and hoping, with the continued weightloss, to avoid medications...as I am also hypothyroid and already on 2 drugs for life because of it. I'm a mere ( soon to be ) 50 years old. I'm hoping to continue for many years to come and this may be the healthiest time in my whole life.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so in awe of you. And if I were as successful as you...and looked as good as you do now...heck, I'd print them in the local newspaper and share with the masses! lol

Susan
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #4  
Freedom awaits us

Thumbs up Zelma - You go girl!!!

I think it's great and I too agree shout it out!!!!

I've seen your before & after pictures truly amazing. You see a number written down 192 lbs. you do think WOW alot of weight but until you actually see the difference in pictures you then really see the difference.

I have even printed it off and have been using them for an inspiration. If she can do it why can't I and look it can be done.

I know it's a long road ahead. I will keep looking at your pictures....and then hopefully one day I too will be able to show off my great accomplishment.

Zelma be proud you have worked very hard to get where you are.

Thanks Zelma for the inspiration
Elaine1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Zelma, good for you! You have made a huge accomplishment and you very well have good reason to tell people! LOL I can't imagine ever showing people my before picture... I don't even post it on here. Of course I have lost only 35 pounds but it still does make a big difference and I think it shows. But I can't imagine ever showing my old ones no matter how thin I get! But I am glad you can do so and enjoy it.... your achievement is huge!!! But you're not LOL.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #6  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

You've just got to be proud of something that momentous! Plus, showing them to others can be quite the inspiration, to get them thinking, "If she can do THAT, then I can lose my 30 pounds!"

Besides, I am waiting for the day when I can show off my before and afters of my 100 pounds, so don't feel bad... we're all suffering from a little vanity, I guess!

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #7  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

You have earned that right to show off your pictures! You look totally fabulous!!!!
IMO you are a true inspiration!
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

zelma, i hope youre okay with this, but i show other people your pictures when they need hope (and charles'). Its just amazing!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #9  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

You deserve to shout from the rooftops about your success! You are a wonderful inspiration to us all.

Sometimes telling others about our success makes it all the more "real" because we get positive feedback and confirmation that we indeed have lost weight and it shows!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
zelma, i hope youre okay with this, but i show other people your pictures when they need hope (and charles'). Its just amazing!
Yeh I have sent links to Zelma's and Charles' pix to people too! <G>
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

As far as I'm concerned, losing weight is as impressive as scaling Mt. Everest. Really! I think it's great you whip out your pictures, just think of how many people you're inspiring!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #12  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 240/165/130

ZedAus,

I am really impressed with how much you've lost. You look great. I'm proud of you not giving up on yourself. Well done.

Stay Healthy!!
lastrideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/116/110

Height: 5' 4"

You're like an idol now. All I can say is WOW.
dietnlose? is offline   Reply With Quote