Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/169/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Seeing the good beneath the bad

So last night was a horrible night for me. I started having really bad chest pains-a tight, burning, painful feeling. I started to breathe irregularly and my body temperature was pretty high. Luckily I have an amazing fiance who put a cold cloth on my forehead and chest and held me until the pain went away. So I went to the doctor today just to make sure everything was okay, since that kind of intense pain has never happened to me before. She thinks I have acid reflux, and my body emotionally overreacted and caused a mini panic attack. I have to get a chest xray tomorrow morning just to make sure everything is all right, and I have an appointment in two weeks to discuss blood work and how the medication she gave me is working. In the meantime, I'm not allowed to eat anything spicy or citrusy, and no cofee or carbonated beverages. ::sulks:: and I just bought a big bag of oranges! Oh well...

The good news, out of all this, is that while there were no scale victories (actually it registered a few pounds over, stupid doctor scales ) my blood pressure was normal! 110/60 A couple of years ago it was elevated, to the point where my doctor said if I didn't get it down she was going to put me on medication. I'm only 21 (was barely 20 at that time) so needless to say, that scared me quite a bit. My ekg and lung capacity test were normal too. Without a doubt my blood pressure has gone down because I've been exercising and watching what I eat. So even though the next couple of weeks will be interesting, health wise, at least I have my normal bp to smile about.
PandyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

I hope your tests go ok tomorrow. Congratulations on the changes in your health - that is fantastic. That is definitely what making these changes is all about!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #3  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on getting the blood pressure down. I'm working on that, too...

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #4  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I'm happy you're ok. I hope all your tests come back good. Great job getting the bp under control.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

that just goes to reiterate that we are not only trying to lose pounds but also getting healthier too. so glad to hear your blood pressure was down. I hope all goes well with your test and your doctor was right about the reflux and panic attack. it happens to more people than we know about. but it is always safer to have test run to be on the safe side.

take care of yourself. let us know how things go.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I'm so happy that everything worked out, Pandy! What a relief!

Now, let me just do a bit of scolding (I'm a mom, it's part of the job!): Hopefully, there won't ever be a next time, but in the event there ever is...

Burning, tight chest pain, shortness of breath, temperature fluctuation... have the BF RUSH you to the hospital. Even if it turns out to be nothing (a bad shrimp or something that turned on you), it's far better to be safe than sorry, yes?

Too many women don't want to be embarassed by running to the hospital for "nothing"... We don't want to "bother" the doctors. We don't want to be seen as crybabies. Well, chest pain isn't nothing, dear! Go go go!

Ok, lecture over!

Again, I'm glad it's all working out!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/169/130

Well, I just got back from the radiology center, and my chest xrays were completely normal. The nurse said my heart was very photogenic :laugh: So for now I'm on acid reflux meds and I go back to my doctor in two weeks to discuss my bloodwork and see how things are going. I officially am banned from: citrus food, spicy food, tea, coffee, fried food, fatty food, carbonated beverages, and chocolate. Bummer, but it will definitely help me eat better!

Lena: You're definitely right, I should have gone to the hospital immediately to get checked out. I kept thinking it would just go away, because I'm young and in college...stupid, I know! *shakes head* My mother practically dragged me to the doctor the next day when I told her about it. You're right though, I have this mentality that nothing is wrong and I'll be fine if I can just get through the pain...I gotta break that kind of thinking!
PandyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

Glad you are okay. Ditto on the not waiting for Drs thing. Better news that your BP is down
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Acid reflux? Do not lay down nor recline after eating for at least an hour. A simple matter of gravity.

Editted to say that's a helpful tip not a cure.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I agree, anytime you have chest pain, you need to go to the hospital and have it checked out. This coming from an RN with 20 yrs. experience. It isn't always "older " people who have heart problems. We, females, tend to ignore our own health problems and just think we would be a bother to run to the doctor. I am glad it turned out not to be cardiac.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Glad that you are alright! And fyi...Doctor scales are RIGGED, I tell you!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #12  
210 / 193 / 140

I'm glad you're all right. And I'm glad you're seeing the positives behind your restricted diet. I concur with the advice not to lie down right after eating. I've also found that it helps if you avoid tight waistbands or belts. Anything tight around the middle can really aggravate acid reflux.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote