Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Smile Compliments

I know we had a thread about this a while ago, but I can't find it so I thought I'd start a new one.

What compliments have you gotten lately? Please share -- I love reading them!

Here's mine from today:

I work at a vet clinic, and today I was restraining a HUGE dog on the table (why my boss felt he needed to put a dog the size of a small horse on the table, I dunno ). So I was on my tippy-toes holding onto this dog for dear life. She DID NOT want to be on the table and kept trying to make a break for it -- which isn't good when the vet is trying to give a vaccination. Especially because I've ALREADY been vaccinated against rabies and don't need/want the canine version, too .

ANYWAY, in the midst of this, the client said to me, "You're doing such a good job -- I can't believe you can hold her up there because you're so TINY!" My boss (who is a frustrated stand-up comic ) said something cute about my needing to wear 4" heels to work, and the woman said, "No, she's not short it's the rest of her that's TINY."

Which, by the way, I AM NOT...but it was really nice to hear .

What compliments have you gotten lately?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #2  

My FIL called me "bones" last week! That really made me smile!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up

Oh, I'd be tickled pink about that "tiny" comment for a really long time!

Mine aren't weight-related compliments yet, but I seem to get compliments regularly. I notice that I get them frequently because I have to remind myself that the best reply is a gracious thank you.

I usually get compliments on clothes - pretty scarf, nice necklace, cute purse. I also frequently get compliments on my hair - it's all-one-length, auburn and healthy. I sometimes am told that I am a great mom or a great role model from other, younger single parents.

Because this past week was my last week on my current job, I got a lot of compliments about what a good person I am, how well-rounded I am (NOT in reference to my butt, thankyouverymuch), and how much potential I have. That was like an adrenaline shot of self-esteem!

What a great thread. It helps combat the oodles of negative self-talk statements I come up with so easily!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

At work we do a Christmas swap and I had put fun belts on my list of things I wanted. My co-worker asked what size I wore, a 5/6? And the other one said "i'll just measure around my thigh and it should fit your waist!" Made me smile at least.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

I like those. I was in the post office a week ago and my insurance agents secretary was in there and she said "man you are getting so thin, what are you doing?"

That was the best for me so far, but I'LL TAKE IT!!!
I also love the "TINY" thing..lol My hubby said I am skinny, but it doesnt count coming from him..lol
Old 11-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #6  

I haven't really had any compliments. I've lost 20 pounds but it must not be noticible yet. I can't wait till it is!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

The other day my DD who's 15, hugged me and she said "Boy mom you're so SMALL!" I had to laugh, to myself though, because a few years ago when she was only about 5-6 she had said, "Mommy you have a big jiggly butt"
Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #8  

We are having parent/teacher confrences at my son's school. I was in the office signing in when my daughter's speech therapist from last year came in. I said hello and she said hi back and then just headed to her office. That is unlike her because she has always been chatty but it was the end of the day and I figured she had a lot to do before leaving. Then, about 5 minutes later, she came rushing out of her office and said, "Oh my gosh! It's YOU!" She honest to goodness didn't recognize me. She gushed for the longest time about how good I looked. Just about that time my son's kindergarten teacher (last year's) came in and sat down. She's about 5 months preganant so I asked how she was feeling, when she was due - the usual. And the same thing happened. She talked to me for a couple of minutes before she realized who I was. Granted, I've changed a lot of things besides my weight since I last saw them both. I've highlighted my hair and grown it out plus I don't dress anything like I used to. I am sure those things contributed to their not recognizing me too but it was the weight loss that they complimented.

Also, about a week ago I met a friend for dinner. We've known each other since high school, were roomates after graduating college, and now we get together about once every six months. So she knew me at my thinnest/fittest and at my heaviest. She said that I looked better than she ever remembers be looking - even all the way back to high school. She actually teared up a little when she told me that she could tell how much happier I am and how proud she was of me. (All this coming from a girl who is about 5 foot 10 inches and has never weighed more than about 130 soaking wet). It really made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I recently bought all new clothes. I haven't gotten to wear all of the yet so there are some outfits my husband hasn't seen. I got dressed yesterday to take the kids to have lunch and when I walked in he said, "WOW - you look GREAT!" It is about the 20th time he's said as much in a week. Now he has always been very complimentary even when I was so heavy. But the compliments come with a little twinkle in his eye. I can see the amazement and admiration on his face. I think the new clothes accentuate how much weight I've lost so it is like it is just now really sinking in for him.

I'll admit that at first all of this attention made me a little uncomfortable but now I LOVE it. It is such a validation of all my hard work. And, it helps me keep a reasonable body image by confirming that I look better than I think I do when I look in the mirror.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #9  

jaws mom that is an amazing story! Your loss is incredible!

How long did it take to loose the 79 pounds and how did you do it?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #10  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Everybody seems to be commenting lately. Checkers at the grocery store & people I commute with on the ferry especially. One girl who I've ridden the bus with for 2 years asked me this morning how I'd lost so much weight since the summer When I told her I'd been slowly dropping weight for three years, she seemed very surprised. I'm amazed at how much more noticible this last 25 pounds is proving to be. (Even though it's such a small fraction of what I've lost all together.)
Old 11-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #11  

While shopping with my daughter this weekend, I found some jeans on sale. Since mine were hanging off of me, I took 2 pairs into the changing room and ended up buying the smaller of the 2! That would have been good enough to keep me 3 ft off the ground. But then, I wore them yesterday and got a really nice compliment from my daughter.

One more...went into my husband's place of employment and his co-worker (who I haven't seen for a few months...) said, "Wow, you are really slimming! What are you doing?"

It seems that lately I get nearly daily comments and it really helps keep me on track with my efforts! :-)
Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #12  

Valerie, I "officially" started losing weight December 26, 2004 so I've been at it for about 10 months. I've taken a couple of maintainence breaks along the way, just as practice for the real thing and to take a little time to adjust to the changes in my body, etc. It is all thanks to good, old fashioned calorie counting and exercise.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Joy
I haven't really had any compliments. I've lost 20 pounds but it must not be noticible yet. I can't wait till it is!
I totally understand this feeling. I have lost 33 lbs and finally a few weeks ago a few people started making a few comments. Figured out that alot of people don't want to say anything because they are afraid if they say something, you will tell them that you have cancer or some other "illness" that is causing you to lose weight. Still not as many people as I would like to notice, but every one counts!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

While you're (not "your" - I saw another thread of yours ) talking about compliments, Kate, I've been meaning to say what a gorgeous picture your avatar is. You look beautiful.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #15  

I work for Department of Human Services in Oklahoma in Moore, I was working in Norman, now I am working in Moore and Norman, switching days doing Transfers for both offices. I had left the Norman office a year ago in October, and last month started doing transfers for both offices and when I went back to the Norman office, all the people I knew from before, kept commenting on how much weight I had lost. I had been losing weight there for years but not many talked about it, maybe like the other post, maybe they thought I was sick and losing because of that. When people saw me they could tell I was not sick and I told them I had been going to Weight Watchers and it just slowly came off. That I had changed my eating habits alot and portion control. If I had all the money I paid each week to go to Weight Watchers and lose, I would be rich, but I think I am rich in the sense that I have my health now and feel so much better. I think this is a neat website. I read it everyday.
Lisa
Closed Thread