Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #1  

Default My first 10k!

Yesterday I ran my first 10K (6 mile) race here in Vancouver and it was amazing! I never thought I could do something like this and I now feel so inspired. The whole experience is something I will never forget, as running with 48 thousand people is totally not something I would do everyday. Another cool thing about it is that I did a mock run two weeks ago and yesterday I beat my time by 2 minutes crossing the finish line in 72 minutes 31 seconds.

I just really wanted to share this with all of you because this is a goal I've been working towards since January. I am still surprized that I actually did it, more so beacuse I stuck with it and never gave up. Though now that it is all over I will have to think of something else to motivate me.

Good luck to everyone and their goals. Thanks for letting me share one of the coolist moments in my life.

Last edited by Ms.K; 04-18-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

That's awesome Ms. K! Congratulations!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #3  

Wow! Congratulations. Did you follow any training program?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #4  

Way to go!!! You should be very proud of yourself
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #5  
Raawwwwr.

HEY! Awesome job They're not easy races (I ran a half marathon about two years ago)...

THis is a HUGE milestone, and you're in phenomenal shape!!! Be wicked proud of yourself, you did a great job!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #6  
Newfie Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 322/322/175

Height: 5'11"

Hey MS. K! I was one of the spectators watching the race.. I really wish I had the nerve (and the body!) to do that..

We are around the same age, maybe we could be buds.. You sound triumphant!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #7  
Made my Goal weight!

Yay, I am SOOOOO proud of you....I too have made my goal to do a 10km race and I for sure know all the hard work and energy and satisfaction that goes into and you get out of training....Congrats to you and reading your post has given me that little kick in the butt I need to run today...( I am up to 8km now, but I know I can push through 10km, and it only gets easier the more you do it,right? )

GREAT JOB!!

Leanne
Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #8  

All of you thanks so much for you encouagement!

Newfiesara- We could totally be buds and you could have most definetly been a participant rather than a spectator. That is the most amazing thing about these types of events is that anyone can do them. The most insperational person in my clinic was this woman who is about 5'6 and 280 lbs. She pushed through our mock run and was there with bells on, on race day. She never gave a thought to what anyone might think and never thought for a moment that she couldn't do it. I used to weigh 296 and at that weight I would have never dreamed of doing something like this but she did and she is amazing.

LeanneM83- good luck on the 10K . You'll do awesome! The first 8k are the hardest it's all adreniline for the last two anyway.

Momadance- yes I did follow a training program. I joined a 13 week training clinic at the local recreation centre I work for. Everything is a slow progression so it is not so overwhelming. Their were three diffrent groups that one could join. The learn to walk 10K group, learn to run 10K group and Learn to run 10K faster group. Even with in these three we had many smaller groups because every one was walking or running at a diffrent pace. If you have a Running Room in you area they have clinics all the time, if your not sure just search the web for their locations all over North America.

Thanks again everyone I think I may try for a 1/2 marathon in October.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:10 AM   #9  
Made my Goal weight!

I just wanted to post to say thank you...after reading your thread I decided I was just going to go out and do it, so I DID...yeah, yesterday was a nice sunny day and I thought why not, so I ran 10km and I feel GGGGGRRREAT, like I accomplished my goal ...so now I will work on my time and you were totally right 8-10km seemed to go faster than the rest...

thanks so much

Leanne
Old 04-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #10  

LeanneM83- Wow you rock! It is an awesome feeling knowing that you can do it. Way to go girl
Old 04-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Ms.K - I was in the same run as you! The Vancouver Sun Run, right? I didn't train though, and definitely next year I will. Infact, the 2 weeks before the run I decided to take off, so no significant exercise at all, I was pretty sore Sunday night! It was pretty inspiring, eh? There was all sorts of people, ages, shapes, sizes, it was great!

-Aimee
Old 04-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #12  

Yep the Sun Run! Cool to know that you were pounding the streets with me.

Your so right about so many diffrent people being there, I don't think an age demographic, body type or nationality was left unrepresented. I did think for a moment crossing over Barrard St. bridge, "Did everybody in the LML show up to this?". I hear it's the second largest organized race in North America.

Hope your not still sore.

Cheers, Kassie

Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #13  
Made my Goal weight!

Ms. K- are you planning on doing any other runs this year?? Just curious, I hear running races gets addictive....what a great addiction though eh? I am hooked and I havent even run one yet...lol....I am planning to run the Ottawa National Capital race weekend 10km, may 29th....fingers crossed that it goes well....my in-laws are coming so they, my hubby and my 3 kids will be waiting at the finish line for me- I cant wait!!

Leanne
Closed Thread